🎵Because Mr. Oogie Boogie is the meanest guy around
     If I were on his boogie list, I'd get out of town

R.I.P. Mr. Page.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

'Good Times' star John Amos has died

My first thought was to wonder if any of the cast from the Mary Tyler Moore Show are still with us. Pretty sure the actress who played Bess but of the (then) adult cast, is anyone still here?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Dimity said:

My first thought was to wonder if any of the cast from the Mary Tyler Moore Show are still with us. Pretty sure the actress who played Bess but of the (then) adult cast, is anyone still here?

I believe Betty White was the last surviving main cast members when she died 3 years ago.  That same year, 2021, both Gavin MacLeod (Murray Slaughter) and Ed Asner (Lou Grant) died.

• Sad 4
1 minute ago, Dimity said:

Something is tugging at my memory that makes me think he had given an interview not all that long ago - something to do with accusations of elder abuse if I'm not mistaken.

I seem to recall some infighting amongst the family which LAPD investigated and found no basis for the complaint.  I believe Amos' son was his primary caregiver, he may have even lived with him and Amos' daughter filed the charge that the son was neglectful and abusive.  After the police announced they found no evidence of abuse and were closing the case, Amos issued a statement thanking them for their thorough investigation and confirming that he was happy with his son's actions regarding his care.

• Useful 7
9 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

R.I.P. Mr. Page.

Saw him on Broadway in Ain’t Misbehavin’, still the greatest live theatre I’ve ever experienced.

”Up in Harlem, at a table for two/Well there were four of us baby: me, your big feet, and you!”

John Amos! I mourned James Evans’ death on Good Times like I mourned Henry Blake’s.

Plus he was a Chiefs fan.  So I’m thinking, Derrick Thomas & Len Dawson were part of his welcoming committee.

Edited by voiceover
  • Like 6

My stomach hurts from all the gut punches of the deaths of James Earl Jones, Drake Hogestyn, Kris Kristofferson and now America’s Father, John Amos?  WTF is going on?!

And why in the bluedilly hell are we just hearing about Mr. Amos’ death, when he passed in August?!  Those damned kids, there had better not have been anything shady going on.

Now see here 2024, I’ma need you to ease up on the deaths!!

• Hugs 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Dimity said:

Joyce Bulifant (Murray's wife) is still here. Not a main character, but I remember her in several episodes. She was one of those actresses who seemed to be in every TV show in the '70s.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, Domestic Assassin said:

Joyce Bulifant (Murray's wife) is still here. Not a main character, but I remember her in several episodes. She was one of those actresses who seemed to be in every TV show in the '70s.

JB would have made a better Carol Brady had she been picked in the end. I find Henderson irritating unless in very small doses (her attempts at singing (e.g. the theme for "Bradysomething" in 1990) emulate Jenny Joyce from Derry Girls).

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

FWIW, Miss Bullifant was once the daughter-in-law of the legendary Helen Hayes and is the paternal grandmother of Jenny McCarthy's son.

As much as I liked her on the MTM show, I'm not sure she would have had what it took for those rare times Carol had to put her Brady foot down (e.g. firing the swollen-headed Marcia from playing Juliet, going after Prof. Vincent Price with Mike in search of their kidnapped sons.etc.).

To bring this back, I can't recall any episodes in which Marie appeared alongside Gordy the Weatherman on MTM so I'm not sure she ever got to perform with the late Mr. Amos.

On a more serious note, I hope the survivors explain why they waited an entire month to announce Mr. Amos's death- especially since there had been allegations of elder abuse from re one of his offspring.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Gavin took part in one of the sexiest performances I've seen. Years ago he and Aaron Tveit partnered to sing Take Me Or Leave Me (Rent) for the Miscast Benefit. They had a ball playing up the tension between Maureen and Joanne and it was HOT. The number of people expressing their love and sorrow is massive so I hope he felt some of it before he passed.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

On a more serious note, I hope the survivors explain why they waited an entire month to announce Mr. Amos's death- especially since there had been allegations of elder abuse from re one of his offspring.

Just because they took a month to release the news to the press doesn't mean they took a month to report his death to the proper authorities. 

It's not common for people to wait, but it's also not unusual.  There have been a few deaths that weren't announced right away.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 5
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

Gavin took part in one of the sexiest performances I've seen. Years ago he and Aaron Tveit partnered to sing Take Me Or Leave Me (Rent) for the Miscast Benefit. They had a ball playing up the tension between Maureen and Joanne and it was HOT. The number of people expressing their love and sorrow is massive so I hope he felt some of it before he passed.

For those who haven't yet experienced their performance (and for those who just wanna see them do it again)... enjoy!

• Love 5
7 hours ago, voiceover said:

Saw him on Broadway in Ain’t Misbehavin’, still the greatest live theatre I’ve ever experienced.

”Up in Harlem, at a table for two/Well there were four of us baby: me, your big feet, and you!”

This.  I play this cast recording on a loop.  I just love it and I'm devastated by his passing.  I also saw him in The Wiz, but Ain't Misbehavin' is an experience unto itself. 

The Tony performance:

• Applause 2
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It's not common for people to wait, but it's also not unusual.  There have been a few deaths that weren't announced right away.

Exactly.  And the grief of people who actually knew and loved him takes every bit of precedence over that of fans who appreciated him from afar.  He was a public figure, so it will eventually be out there, and now the public knows and can celebrate his life/mourn his death however each sees fit.  His family didn't owe the public an earlier announcement, nor do they now owe us an explanation for the delay.

• Like 10
  • Applause 5

Sorry, everyone. I just have a personal distaste for Henderson and find her acting skills wanting in most of the "Bunch" episodes.

Well, as they say, people see what they want to see, and believe what they want to believe.

John Amos was also in the classic cheesy B-movie Beastmaster

Where is that bottle of wine...

• Wink 1
9 hours ago, Blergh said:

As per The Hollywood Reporter, Mr. Amos's daughter Shannon posted on Instagram late October 1,2024 that she did NOT learn of Mr. Amos's passing until she saw the news announced on in the news along with the rest of the public and has questions about what was going during the 45 day gap between Mr. Amos's death and the announcement.

IF what she is saying is true, then that would be something for the authorities to investigate.

• Like 3

I once listened to an interview with John Amos where he spoke about his role as Gordy on The Mary Tyler Moore Show. He mentioned it was a big deal at the time that Gordy, as a Black man, was the weatherman instead of the sports announcer. Amos also clearly respected and loved working with everyone at MTM. 

As for the lateness in announcing his death, I think if not for the earlier accusations of elder abuse, no one would be questioning the timing.

R.I.P. Mr. Amos. 

• Like 5
40 minutes ago, Palimelon said:

I’m wondering how Amos’ daughter went 45 days without checking up on her dad.

I believe this is the same daughter who went to the authorities claiming her brother had abused and neglected their father.  I presume her brother was not sending her regular bulletins about his health and didn't much care to inform her when he died.  And, based on his press release when the abuse case was resolved; John Amos himself said it was bogus.  Perhaps they cut off contact with her after the legal drama and she wasn't able to contact him.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
6 hours ago, Palimelon said:

Well, as they say, people see what they want to see, and believe what they want to believe.

Please do not engage in sarcasm. It weakens one.

4 hours ago, Blergh said:

IF what she is saying is true, then that would be something for the authorities to investigate.

Authorities aren't going to investigate something that boils down to family drama unless there are other suspicious factors. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Authorities aren't going to investigate something that boils down to family drama unless there are other suspicious factors. 

Exactly. There's nothing illegal about not telling someone about a death. 

• Like 4