Type keyword(s) to search

Milestone Moments: All The Celebrity Vitals

• Start Topic

(edited)

My husband and I walked out on A Woman Under the Influence, in a theater when it came out.  It was too painful for us to watch.  Without too much detail, it was too close to home.  We were college students.

I have never tried to watch it again.  It's a great performance, I guess. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Hugs 4

RIP Peter Marshall

While I loved the Hollywood Squares (didn't everyone?), I had the good fortune to meet him when I worked at the theatre and he starred in the national tour of La Cage Aux Folles.  He was a lovely person. 

• Sad 23
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Anela said:

I read about this on twitter, earlier. This was the assistant who found him in the pool? Those evil fucks, taking advantage of his addiction. 

Yes he injected Matt with several doses of ketamine and then left Perry alone. Awful people. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Sad 14
  • Angry 3

Greg Kihn, the 'Jeopardy' singer-songwriter who inspired a 'Weird Al' Yankovic parody, dies at 75.

In 1976, Kihn formed the Greg Kihn Band alongside guitarist Robbie Dunbar, bassist Steve Wright, and drummer Larry Lynch. While they didn’t blow up, their records received strong reviews and the group soon built a reputation as a killer live act.

Kihn scored his first hit with “The Breakup Song (They Don’t Write ‘Em),” which got to No. 15 on the Hot 100 in May 1981. The group reached new heights with the release of their  1983 track “Jeopardy,” which became an MTV favorite and hit No. 2 on the Hot 100 chart (hindered only by Michael Jackson’s “Beat It”). 

• Sad 7
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Is Everyone Gone said:

Yes he injected Matt with several doses of ketamine and then left Perry alone. Awful people. 

As bad as the assistant was, it was the attitude of the doctor's - which included making jokes about Perry paying for their "services" - that really got me. R.I.P. Matthew Perry. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 9
  • Sad 5
  • Angry 2
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

As bad as the assistant was, it was the attitude of the doctor's - which included making jokes about Perry paying for their "services" - that really got me. R.I.P. Matthew Perry. 

Yeah joking about overcharging the "moron." So disgusted ppl like this exist. 

I feel for Matthew's friends and family. What an awful thing to read. I didn't even know Matthew and when I read the details I was sickened.

• Like 2
  • Sad 8
  • Angry 7

Gena Rowlands was such a great actress. I loved her in Hope Floats, and Something to Talk About.  RIP Gena. 

I'm glad to see the doctor and others arrested in Matthew Perry's death. What horrible people.

• Like 15
4 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

TCM Remembers Gena Rowlands

Among many of the other pieces of her work already mentioned. I also remember her playing the mother of Leroy Jethro Gibbs' dead first wife.  She certainly was a woman of many talents. RIP dear lady.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Is Everyone Gone said:

Gifted an article about Matthew Perry with more disturbing details:

Thanks for gifting the article.

The last days of his life were horrifying. And a bunch of people, who should have been trying to help, wanted only to make money off him. It's just so sad.

• Like 4
  • Sad 10

French screen star Alain Delon dies aged 88.

Identified with French cinema’s resurgence in the 1960s, Delon played a string of cops, hitmen, and beautifully chiselled chancers for some of the country’s greatest directors, including Jean-Pierre Melville, René Clément and Jacques Deray. He also made films with auteurs including Luchino Visconti, Louis Malle, Michelangelo Antonioni and Jean-Luc Godard – though never quite succeeded in his attempts to make it in Hollywood.

• Sad 9

John Aprea, 'The Godfather Part II' & 'Full House' Actor, Dies at 83.

As young Salvatore Tessio — Abe Vigoda played the older version — his performance set him up to play mob figures many times over, but he enjoyed dramatic and comedic roles, and found his longest-running gig as Lucas Castigliano on more than 400 episodes of the soap "Another World" (1989-1998).

His other prominent TV roles were on "The Gangster Chronicles" (1981), as Lt. Vince Novelli on "Matt Houston" (1982-1984), as Sheriff North on "Falcon Crest" (1987), as Manny Vasquez on "Knots Landing" (1988), as Lionel Wakefield on "American Heiress" (2007), and playing the dad of John Stamos' character on both "Full House" (1988-1991) and "Fuller House" (2017).

Other films included "The Seven-Ups" (1973), "Caged Heat" (1974), "The Stepford Wives" (1975), "Crazy Mama" (1975), "The Idolmaker" (1980), "Dead Man on Campus" (1998), and "The Manchurian Candidate" (2004).

• Sad 8

I LOVED John Aprea! I knew him as the police lieutenant on Matt Houston -Vince. Was too young to watch The Godfather , but he was so uberly hawt  as young Tessio. And of course as Grandpa on Full House. A good character actor.

RIP.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

I knew where Phil grew up.  The actual house.  His mother still lived there when hubby & I were just married and living a few streets away.  Right by Fairview Hospital.

He was a good interviewer and I loved that he brought the real issues to the front.  But he also had real empathy, not the false TV persona's you sew nowadays, where image is tightly controlled.

Condolences to Marlo all his family.

Was there ever a sexier screen icon that Alain Deleon?  RIP Sir

• Like 20
  • Love 4
On 8/18/2024 at 5:22 AM, Palimelon said:

and found his longest-running gig as Lucas Castigliano on more than 400 episodes of the soap "Another World" (1989-1998).

His romance with Felicia was one of my favorites.  While so many soaps were showing teen love stories AW had Lucas and Felicia.  

On 8/18/2024 at 5:22 AM, Palimelon said:

as Manny Vasquez on "Knots Landing"

I didn't care he was a bad guy it was John Aprea so of course I loved his character.

For me he was one of those actors I don't care what role he played I was going to love the character. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
50 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I liked the Phil Donahue Show better than the Oprah Winfrey Show.  There I said it.

There would never have been an Oprah (the cultural phenomenon) without Donahue and Oprah said as much via Instagram today:

"There wouldn’t have been an Oprah Show without Phil Donahue being the first to prove that daytime talk and women watching should be taken seriously. He was a pioneer. I’m glad I got to thank him for it. Rest in peace Phil.”

Edited by CountryGirl
  • Like 12
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
(edited)

“The Phil Donahue Show” was the first talk show to include participation from the audience, typically with a single guest or single topic. That format set it apart from other interview shows of the 1960s.

The show was renamed “Donahue” in 1967 and began tackling serious topics not normally discussed on talk shows such as feminism, homosexuality, consumer protection, civil rights, and more.

The show won 20 Emmy Awards during its run. Donahue won a Peabody Award and, this past May, President Joe Biden awarded him a Presidential Medal of Freedom to Donahue for being a pioneer of the daytime talk show.

Edited by Palimelon
  • Like 20
36 minutes ago, Bastet said:

This is why I liked him.

Same.

I also loved the audience participation factor.

Oprah's show was still good through it's run, but not as much as when she used to allow for that. Often, I could relate to the audience so much more than the guests well except for the racists in Oprah's infamous Forsyth County, Georgia episode. Or the homophobes in Donahue's Gay Parenting episode. 

• Like 7
6 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Man, Sally Jesse Raphael, there's a name I haven't heard in some time. 

Sad to hear about Phil Donahue. I was a little kid when he was on TV, but I do remember seeing his show sometimes. From what I've heard about him, he seemed a very admirable, intelligent, thoughtful person, and I'm glad that his positive influence is being acknowledged and appreciated. We could use more TV hosts, of any sort, like him. 

Condolences to Marlo Thomas and his family. May he rest in peace. 

• Like 16

I'm not going to pretend that Mr. Donahue was faultless- even now. However, one thing that always stood out for me that is he actually CARED about what his guests had been through  and wanted the best for them as well as any audience members had been through similar or worse experiences and, for that, I salute him!

In order not to tarnish the good works he did at this time, I'll forgo mentioning those hosts who reaped ratings via victimizing their guests.

RIP, Mr. Donahue and condolences to Miss Thomas and the rest of their family!

• Like 10
On 8/19/2024 at 10:59 AM, roamyn said:

I knew where Phil grew up.  The actual house.  His mother still lived there when hubby & I were just married and living a few streets away.  Right by Fairview Hospital.

He was a good interviewer and I loved that he brought the real issues to the front.  But he also had real empathy, not the false TV persona's you sew nowadays, where image is tightly controlled.

Condolences to Marlo all his family.

Was there ever a sexier screen icon that Alain Deleon?  RIP Sir

Phil's mother was buried out of the church in my neighborhood. I happened to be driving by that day and saw Phil and Marlo getting into the limo after the Mass.  He was also in the first graduating class at St. Edward's high school in Cleveland.  Local boy made good.

Phil Donohue was an excellent interviewer who asked intelligent questions and listened to the answers.  He was one of the first TV personalities to be openly feminist.  He brought attention to serious issues that had not been aired on TV until that time and always treated his guests with respect and empathy.

• Like 10
  • Love 7