Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Look Out

Pop Tart
  • Start Topic

When the wife of a local football hero is shot in a robbery gone wrong, Will is determined to quickly solve the seemingly simple case. Meanwhile, Angie and Ormewood investigate the murder of a local realtor in an investigation which quickly takes a dark turn.

Air date: 01.31.22

• Useful 1

If this was the 3rd episode, they did a good job of removing any traces of it. The only thing that seemed to hint that is was, is in the original 4th episode they had Will going on a date with someone to a gallery before Angie showed up and blew up all his plans. This episode they mention that Will was upset that Faith was in his office and how she got there. Faith didn't seem to have any idea that Will has trouble reading/writing, or she probably would have typed the report herself while Will dictated, which would have been faster that waiting around for Will to finish it himself. There were no signs that Ormewood is injured, he was running perfectly fine, but plenty of signs that he is a "dick". I wonder if next episode Ormewood will have a limp.

They made Angie seem crazy the way she is flip-flopping every single time she is anywhere near Will, it makes me wish she would just stay away from him.

The story was not very clear, I would call it a toss-up that the manager gave Pudge a loaded gun, because he was sleeping with football dude's wife and was hoping Pudge would shoot football dude, although I have no idea why that would happen. Or football dude gave Pudge a loaded gun hoping Pudge would shoot football dude's wife or the manager because they were sleeping together, although I have no idea why that would happen either. I wish they would have explained it in more detail what really happened and why. Anyhoo, Pudge ends up the loser any way you look at it.

I didn't like Trent betting on solving the case, I hope it doesn't happen again.

• Like 11

I loved Faith's yellow sweater in this episode. All of her knitwear has been fantastic and her style is perfect.

9 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I didn't like Trent betting on solving the case, I hope it doesn't happen again.

I didn't understand why the cop kept giving Will more time. APD doesn't like him but they know he's good at his job. Why keep raising the stakes while losing the advantage (time)? It also really bothered me that no one mentioned numbers. Does this happen so often there's an assumed $ amount?

8 hours ago, Starchild said:

On the plus side, Betty was extra super cute.

She's my favorite. Good for her knowing not to leave her cushy set up when Angie left the door open (I know it was an accident and Angie probably doesn't have any experience with pets but I have indoor cats and completely understood Will's panic. I've been there).

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

Amanda is hardly in the show at all, anymore. 

I'd much rather Amanda have screen time than Angie and Ormewood. I love her almost as much as Betty.

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I enjoyed this episode but think they should have kept the original order (#3) as there were things out of sync (as mentioned above, but Faith having her desk in Will's office was the one that really showed the misordering (IMO).  Loved the scene of Will petting Betty on his lap as that is how I usually watch t.v. with my dog (and it is so soothing for me to pet him).  

I have a hard time following all of the episodes as they don't seem to prioritize having the scenes/actions connect.  It's like they just jump from point to point without clarity  But, I enjoy most of the characters and am able to follow a bit, so I will keep watching.

• Like 10

I loved Faith’s yellow knit cap and she & Will lip syncing to Hall & Oates. My office mate & I stop everything for the drum solo in Phil Collins’ “In The Air Tonight”.

I started watching for Betty (who reminds me of my parents’ chihuahua Ramon, the 4lb, 3 tooth ruler of their house), but am staying for the show itself. I rewound the last scene when Will put her down after Angie came in, and she just scampered away like she owned the place like 3 times. And I loved when she just suddenly appeared after Will & Angie were outside frantically searching for her. BTDT a million times with my cat. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1

I really enjoyed this episode. Yes there were the continuity issues because of how they've shuffled the eps, but I liked that there were some funny, light moments and the case wasn't as heavy. I'm wondering if that's why the shuffle? Very curious about these change of orders that are happening and what the thinking is. (saw it with another show recently too, but can't remember which).

I loved when Will and Faith had the debate about best breakup songs and then busted out singing "she's gonnnnnnnnneeeeeee". 

The case was a mess and I too wasn't clear on who, in the end, had actually set Pudge up.

I do like the messiness of Will and Angie, and enjoy them both individually and as a couple who genuinely understand one another. But I also thought Will had nice chemistry with the photographer. And in fact the actor has great chemistry with just about everyone, something that really improves a series.

• Like 18

The continuity issues were more obvious in this episode, I have no clue why networks so often end up airing shows out of order, but I still enjoyed the episode. The cases were both a bit confusing, especially the one with the football player, but I like that they were both a bit easier on everyone and that the tone in general was more fun and jokey. 

Will and Faith breaking into song together was great, and Faith looked amazing this week. I love her outfits, so much warm snazzy looking knitwear. 

Is this human trafficking ring that Angie is looking into going to end up being a reoccurring enemy? Those can be very hit or miss on cops shows. 

Betty continues to be an absolute adorable superstar. 

• Like 12

No the strongest episode of the series but still had some good moments.  On the one hand I can almost see why they shuffled this one out of continuity, if they felt the other four episodes were stronger and are trying to build a viewer base and some momentum.  But on the other hand, this was not the greatest episode to have as your last one before a two week break.

Angie and Ormewood seemed to be on a different show.  It feels like the show wants to follow Angie and put her on an equal footing with Will, but that doesn't work, imo.  First because, well, the show has his name.  And second, as much as I like Angie, she works less for me outside of Will's orbit.  Also they are giving her and Ormewood these super light easy, flippantly solved homicides that feel like they are just distractions almost.

Meanwhile, Will is a very magnetic center of the show.  All credit to Ramon Rodriguez for this.  And you want to stay with him.  Also he and Faith are giving very good partner vibes.  The scenes of them arguing about music and singing were great.  But I am genuinely liking their working vibe.

And agreed, the costume designer who conceptualizes the look for Faith is doing a great job.  Her wardrobe is giving that of a nattily dressed gangster from the 40s but modernized  and feminine.  I love the knits, the jackets, the vests and the colors.

• Like 16

I don’t know why they aired the episodes out of order. Will’s date with the photographer would have made more sense, and how him and Angie made up at the end of episode while he blew off the date would have been a bigger deal since they definitely had chemistry. 
Betty is so freaking cute. I don’t mind them having two separate cases because both sets of partners have a unique dynamic, and the cases are different. It keeps me entertained and not bored.

Edited by twoods
  • Like 7

Betty is the MVP, after Will, of course.  Love how she barked at Angie when she came into the house.  She knows she's Daddy's Girl and Angie is the interloper.

I am going to get tired of Angie being in and out of her relationship with Will.  Pick one lane and drive in it.  I was hoping Will and the English photographer would hit it off.

• Like 5
19 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I have a hard time following all of the episodes as they don't seem to prioritize having the scenes/actions connect.  It's like they just jump from point to point without clarity  But, I enjoy most of the characters and am able to follow a bit, so I will keep watching.

I’m glad someone else has problems with this. I can’t think I’ve seen another police show so choppily done. Can’t figure if it’s deliberate or not, but I have trouble following it at times too.

• Like 6
On 2/1/2023 at 9:38 AM, Toothbrush said:

My office mate & I stop everything for the drum solo in Phil Collins’ “In The Air Tonight”.

Well of course, that is a great drum solo! Everyone should stop everything for that solo! 😉

I didn't realize anything was out of order, so I just rolled with the office bit. The back and forth with Angie is a little offputting. They could at least delay it an episode or two (though if they're shuffling, who knows how that would end up).

Still, I'm liking the show. I haven't seen Ramon Rodriguez in anything before, and he is really charismatic (and his main picture on his IMDB page is more than charismatic...)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 5
On 2/1/2023 at 3:07 PM, DearEvette said:

No the strongest episode of the series but still had some good moments.  On the one hand I can almost see why they shuffled this one out of continuity, if they felt the other four episodes were stronger and are trying to build a viewer base and some momentum.  But on the other hand, this was not the greatest episode to have as your last one before a two week break.

Angie and Ormewood seemed to be on a different show.  It feels like the show wants to follow Angie and put her on an equal footing with Will, but that doesn't work, imo.  First because, well, the show has his name.  And second, as much as I like Angie, she works less for me outside of Will's orbit.  Also they are giving her and Ormewood these super light easy, flippantly solved homicides that feel like they are just distractions almost.

Meanwhile, Will is a very magnetic center of the show.  All credit to Ramon Rodriguez for this.  And you want to stay with him.  Also he and Faith are giving very good partner vibes.  The scenes of them arguing about music and singing were great.  But I am genuinely liking their working vibe.

And agreed, the costume designer who conceptualizes the look for Faith is doing a great job.  Her wardrobe is giving that of a nattily dressed gangster from the 40s but modernized  and feminine.  I love the knits, the jackets, the vests and the colors.

Amanda too.  Her clothes are great!  I actually like hers more than Faith and appreciate that they don't have her "dowdy."  

Even Faith's raincoat was snazzy!!

I am always going to be a sucker for a musical interlude...singing out loud and knowing lyrics is my thing.  I think in lyrics!    All my boyfriends apologized in song......choosing the RIGHT one was the key to forgiveness🤣 I always say there is a song for every situation. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1

I don't understand why Angie doesn't like Betty.  Sorry but Betty should get a vote!  Will needs a constant unconditional love and Betty gives that.  I agree,  stop with the I want you, go away with Angie.     She's goonnononoa oh I !   Bye Angie!

• Like 3

I really do understand the push pull WIll and Angie have.  They understand each other due to their awful childhoods - that they shared at some point.  They may be used to having the other around.  And they certainly are comfortable with one another because they lived thru the worst together.  They don't have to explain anything to the other.

Also, I do think that Angie's erratic behavior regarding men can be traced directly back to her mother pimping her out as a child.  I think the only thing I am surprised at is that she is a functioning (semi functioning?) human being at all.

• Like 16
On 2/1/2023 at 9:49 AM, seacliffsal said:

I have a hard time following all of the episodes as they don't seem to prioritize having the scenes/actions connect.  It's like they just jump from point to point without clarity

They are using an entire novel for a one hour episode, so many details are dropped for the sake of time.  I wonder what will happen when they run out of novels to base their episodes on?

• Useful 1

Does anybody watch "Sistas"?  If so, it was odd to see the football dude, played by Ben VanderMey, because on Sistas he is a flamboyantly gay bartender.  This was quite a departure from that, but I didn't like the way he played the football dude, because there never seemed to be a personality to him, or maybe it was bad acting, or something. 

On 2/2/2023 at 9:47 PM, catrice2 said:

Amanda too.  Her clothes are great!  I actually like hers more than Faith and appreciate that they don't have her "dowdy."  

Even Faith's raincoat was snazzy!!

I think the genius of the costume designer here is that Faith looks like she, a single mother without a lot of money but great taste, could be shopping at a secondhand store.

• Like 3