Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: The Perfect Assistant

Neptune
  • Start Topic

16 hours ago, shura said:

Oh, the line was even better - “What has become of the lexicon?”  So dignified, so Isaac. A mini-masterpiece.

I enjoyed his “sauce made from horses?” reaction.

• Like 2
  • LOL 12

Yeah the Sippr rave was a factor. Freddie knows they're doing some good things at Woodstone, but he realizes they're broke. They apparently can afford to hire an assistant, at least. I think he hopes he can prove his value and maybe help them be more successful. They're not "the best" yet, but are trying to get better.

Edited by Cress
  • Like 6
2 hours ago, nora1992 said:

I enjoyed his “sauce made from horses?” reaction.

Yes, it was funny, but I was more surprised by that comment. Given a half-beat, he should have understood it, as the root was a commodity of both garden and table in his era. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

The long line of guests this episode was a total anomaly. I had been wondering how they stay in business at all since they only seemed to have one guest every few months. But maybe that bootleg whiskey event actually did boost them and not just cost them. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Daff said:

Yes, it was funny, but I was more surprised by that comment. Given a half-beat, he should have understood it, as the root was a commodity of both garden and table in his era. 

The ghost called it "horsey sauce" though, so Isaac would not have immediately made a connection between that and horseradish.

• Like 6
  • Useful 4

I’d have liked it more if Freddy had innocently driven by the scene of the accident and hit the new ghost with his car as Jessica was still milling around the scene of her accident. He sort of scooped her up and trapped her, or else she decided to stay for the food.

That way, Freddy is not driving around a structurally unsound accident car.

Except that would violate the rule of "ghosts stuck where they die." It does seem unlikely that a car involved in a fatal crash would be fixed up and resold as used though. Clearly Jessica went through the windshield. I suppose it's possible the front end of that car withstood crashing into the pole with little to no damage, but she went through the windshield because she wasn't wearing her seat belt. Some cars are made well enough to specifically withstand front end collisions. 

"Oh my God!" "Is that . . . a Toyota? You don't see those around very often!"

• Like 5
57 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The ghost called it "horsey sauce" though, so Isaac would not have immediately made a connection between that and horseradish.

That’s why I gave him benefit of the half-beat. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

This episode proved that Sam is the ghosts mom and they really do act like children sometimes, Their jealousy over Sam spending time with Freddie and believing Jessica's story almost got Sam into trouble. I can't wait tp see Sass and Jessica together. I'm sure Trevor kissing Hetty will be brought up in a future episode.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

"Oh my God!" "Is that . . . a Toyota? You don't see those around very often!"

One of my many favorite things in this show is Sam's hilarious attempts at hiding her reactions to things the ghosts say or do when Livings are around. Rose McIver's delivery is perfect. Really the whole cast have the best comedic timing. 

• Like 21
  • LOL 1
On 1/6/2023 at 12:27 PM, HurricaneVal said:

Unless, the writers pull out some pretzel logic and ghosts can be attached to things rather than just locations, and antiques bought at yard sales and auctions can have ghosts attached, if the feelings were strong enough. 

If you like to watch real ghost stories, they show people who have bought stuff at yard sales that had bad spirits attached to item.  I think about that anytime I'm at an antiques store and end up buying something.  So far, no baddies have come home with me!! 

• Like 3

This episode proved that Sam is the ghosts mom and they really do act like children sometimes,

Yes this was apparent during the Christmas episode when Sam caught the ghosts conspiring to get Eric possessed by Trevor. They were all like "We told him not to do it, he wouldn't listen!" 

If you like to watch real ghost stories, they show people who have bought stuff at yard sales that had bad spirits attached to item.  I think about that anytime I'm at an antiques store and end up buying something.  So far, no baddies have come home with me!! 

That you know of. 😬

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 10
On 1/7/2023 at 8:03 AM, nora1992 said:

enjoyed his “sauce made from horses?” reaction.

I loved that and it goes along with his line last season finding out about an entire factory dedicated to cheesecake. 

If Freddie is sticking around then I guess Sass can start a relationship with the drunk car ghost since he can't be with his other love who's stuck at the newspaper office.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

If Freddie is sticking around then I guess Sass can start a relationship with the drunk car ghost since he can't be with his other love who's stuck at the newspaper office

It seems a bit coincidental that while Sass is the ghost pining away for a another ghost across town, the concept of a ghost being able to travel with a vehicle involves a ghost Sass is attracted to. 
I’m wondering if some loophole allowing any ghost to travel will be discovered.
Maybe the new Car Ghost has learned of it in her travels, but she will sit on that information, just like she lied about Freddie.
Perhaps Freddie will get an opportunity to run his own B&B nearby, stop parking at the Woodstone Manor, and Car Ghost will show up to see Sass——however briefly, perhaps in a translucent form.
I have as yet no idea what would permit this, but perhaps discussion upthread of objects smaller than cars being able to embody a ghost are the method.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
On 1/7/2023 at 11:35 AM, Daff said:

He probably would have if it was called horseradish sauce but at Arby's it's literally called "Horsey Sauce".  If you didn't know what that was made from, there's no reason to make the connection.  I mean, yeah, most people would realize it wasn't actually made from horses, but if you'd never heard of it before, you might wonder a little.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
On 1/6/2023 at 6:52 AM, chaifan said:

. I really like Nicole Sakura, so I hope the character sticks around for a while. 

Did she remind anyone else of Flo from Progressive Insurance? I thought that made the casting a little ironic (Flo sells car insurance).

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
On 1/6/2023 at 9:07 AM, iMonrey said:

Thor Improv was killing me. Pete really does know how to do everything!

What's weird is that in the UK version of this show, Pete's counterpart (Pat) tried to teach the ghosts to do improv. They haven't done that here, yet this episode made reference to it as though they had. I wonder if there was a cut scene, or if this was just a nod to the UK show.

!!!

!!!

So I am rewatching Season 1, Episode 4 while doing dishes and in the cold open (the missing oreos) Pete boasts a little about his improv training.

Edited by KarenX
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

I thought the car ghost said she can walk up to 6 feet from the car? I wonder if Freddy drove the car right up to the door the car ghost can theoretically go inside - at least to the other side of the door. 

Surprised the ghosts were able to put 2 and 2 together about the key fob.  I mean that tech was not available to any of them.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

Surprised the ghosts were able to put 2 and 2 together about the key fob.  I mean that tech was not available to any of them.

Sam and Jay probably have one. Anyone who has come to visit probably had one. They watch TV all the time. It’s probably something they learned without really trying to learn. Pete and Trevor also already knew how remotes work.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
On 1/10/2023 at 8:07 AM, proserpina65 said:

He probably would have if it was called horseradish sauce but at Arby's it's literally called "Horsey Sauce".  If you didn't know what that was made from, there's no reason to make the connection.  I mean, yeah, most people would realize it wasn't actually made from horses, but if you'd never heard of it before, you might wonder a little.

Kind of like the "Rooster Sauce" that has been touted at local restaurants which took me an embarrassingly long time to understand was basically just sriracha, even though I have the bottle with the rooster right on it sitting in the door of my fridge and I literally see it multiple times a day as I'm in and out of the fridge.  I knew it wasn't made from roosters, and I also knew it was spicy, but I kept thinking it must be some sort of new culinary thing along the lines of a hipster "hollandaise" or "bearnaise"  new classic sauce.  D'oh!

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

Kind of like the "Rooster Sauce" that has been touted at local restaurants which took me an embarrassingly long time to understand was basically just sriracha, even though I have the bottle with the rooster right on it sitting in the door of my fridge and I literally see it multiple times a day as I'm in and out of the fridge.  I knew it wasn't made from roosters, and I also knew it was spicy, but I kept thinking it must be some sort of new culinary thing along the lines of a hipster "hollandaise" or "bearnaise"  new classic sauce.  D'oh!

Although I knew Buffalo Wings weren't literally the wings of buffalos, I did assume for a long time they were really large chicken wings. Then my daughter married into a family from Western NY State.
Would Sass know what Buffalo Wings are by now?

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Would Sass know what Buffalo Wings are by now?

It depends on how long Sam and Jay have been living there. Jay being a chef, and trying different recipes for the B&B, all the ghosts should be quite food knowledgeable. 

• Like 3
16 hours ago, KarenX said:

Sam and Jay probably have one. Anyone who has come to visit probably had one. They watch TV all the time. It’s probably something they learned without really trying to learn. Pete and Trevor also already knew how remotes work.

We know Jay has a fob from when he was possessed by Hetty, and she wanted to drive to Paris. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Re "Horsey Sauce" -- at the time and place that Isaac was alive, did some people eat horsemeat?

Isaac may or may not know that the names of sauces are inconsistent.  Tomato sauce contains tomatoes.  Lobster sauce usually does not contain lobster; it's a sauce that can be put on lobster.

• Like 4
On 1/7/2023 at 10:40 AM, Browncoat said:

I bought my father peanut milk for its healing properties. He wanted to know how they separated the boy peanuts from the girl peanuts before milking them (he was joking).

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Driad said:

Re "Horsey Sauce" -- at the time and place that Isaac was alive, did some people eat horsemeat?

I can definitely see horsey sauce being a gravy made from pan dripping to go on horse meat along with the mashed potatoes.

• Like 5
On 1/8/2023 at 9:48 AM, ChitChat said:

I bought an antique 1880s wardrobe that WILL NOT stay locked no matter what, but as there has been no other evidence of unusual activity from it I'm going to chalk that up to the ravages of time on the lock mechanism.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I bought an antique 1880s wardrobe that WILL NOT stay locked no matter what, but as there has been no other evidence of unusual activity from it I'm going to chalk that up to the ravages of time on the lock mechanism.

Poor ghost. The ability to unlock only a single wardrobe is the worst ghost power ever! Even Isaac's special skill seems more useful. It's great at getting rid of unwanted guests haha

• LOL 5
On 1/7/2023 at 7:44 AM, Cress said:

Yeah I didn't realize either. I wonder if that was a one-time hook up or if they are going to keep carrying on in secret?

I thought of it as an outtake, some extra footage thrown after the show was over to give us one more chuckle, and not meant to be part of the series.

Edited by mojito
  • Useful 1

I was asked to change this comment to a Spoiler. Sorry.

Spoiler

It's not an outtake, though, because they refer to the "Christmas dalliance" in the Family Business episode. So Hetty and Trevor did actually hook up, but it appears that no one else knows about it.

Edited by Cress
changed to Spoiler
  • Like 3
On 1/13/2023 at 10:01 AM, Driad said:

Isaac may or may not know that the names of sauces are inconsistent.  Tomato sauce contains tomatoes.  Lobster sauce usually does not contain lobster; it's a sauce that can be put on lobster.

Duck sauce, too. 

• Like 4
On 1/9/2023 at 8:22 AM, shapeshifter said:

It seems a bit coincidental that while Sass is the ghost pining away for a another ghost across town, the concept of a ghost being able to travel with a vehicle involves a ghost Sass is attracted to. 
I’m wondering if some loophole allowing any ghost to travel will be discovered.
Maybe the new Car Ghost has learned of it in her travels, but she will sit on that information, just like she lied about Freddie.
Perhaps Freddie will get an opportunity to run his own B&B nearby, stop parking at the Woodstone Manor, and Car Ghost will show up to see Sass——however briefly, perhaps in a translucent form.
I have as yet no idea what would permit this, but perhaps discussion upthread of objects smaller than cars being able to embody a ghost are the method.

I’m not so sure about it being “coincidental,” Sass has been seen to be attracted to a few women that have come to the manor. Sass has been teased about his behaviour in reaction to pretty women before. Sass and Trevor both appreciated Hetty’s maid. 

What I wonder is what happens if his longtime crush becomes actually viable. We know Sass had some romantic experience in life —and that Thor was witness to it. However, he seems to really hold a torch for one woman in particular. 

On 1/10/2023 at 8:55 PM, KarenX said:

!!!

!!!

So I am rewatching Season 1, Episode 4 while doing dishes and in the cold open (the missing oreos) Pete boasts a little about his improv training.

Ha! I think it comes up another time too.

I wasn’t surprised by the mention of improv with Pete and others. While watching, I instinctively knew/felt like it had come up at some point before. I have yet to get around to watching the UK Ghosts, so I knew it wasn’t from mixing that show with this one.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Check Sanity said:

I wasn’t surprised by the mention of improv with Pete and others.

Yeah, while I don't distinctly remember him talking about it, when it came up here I wasn't surprised and it felt natural for the character so either I subconsciously remembered him mentioning it, or the characters are so well drawn out that it seemed completely something Pete would have done in life. 

• Like 4

I really enjoy Jay's glee at finding out new things about how the whole "ghost" thing works. 

Trying to figure out if there is a way to get Thor and his son physically closer to each other?

Loved how Hetty and Alberta were so upset about Sam being distracted from focusing on them. 

• Like 4
On 1/20/2023 at 6:54 AM, LisaM said:

I really enjoy Jay's glee at finding out new things about how the whole "ghost" thing works.

Yes, I'm not surprised that he keeps notes about ghost rules on his phone.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Doing a rewatch and my god is Sass adorable when he's got a crush. Just the little faces he makes and the way he stands, he really does look like a little boy with his first crush on a girl and it is adorable! Roman is doing some great wordless acting in this one. 

• Like 11
  • Love 1
On 1/19/2023 at 2:37 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Lobster sauce usually does not contain lobster; it's a sauce that can be put on lobster.

OT: Tell me it isn't so! For years when I was a kid going to the local Chinese restaurant with my parents, I always ordered shrimp with lobster sauce. My tastes got more sophisticated as an adult, and I hadn't ordered this dish for many years. But a few months ago I was thinking about how much I loved it as a kid, and I decided to order it, expecting to taste bits of lobster in the sauce over my shrimp. Not only didn't I taste any lobster, but the dish overall was very bland. No idea why I thought it was so great as a kid.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 1