Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 11/28/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Nov. 28 – Katherine Heigl (“Firefly Lane”)

Tuesday, Nov. 29 – Samuel L. Jackson and LaTanya Richardson Jackson (Broadway’s “The Piano Lesson”); Alyssa Milano (UNICEF Ambassador)

Wednesday, Nov. 30 – Gabrielle Union joined by writer/director Elegance Bratton (“The Inspection”); Sam Worthington (“Avatar: The Way of Water”)

Thursday, Dec. 1 – Mindy Kaling (“The Sex Lives of College Girls” and Mindy’s Book Studio); performance from LeAnn Rimes; “The View” kicks off the “12 Days of Holidays”

Friday, Dec. 2 – Performance from Gloria, Emily and Sasha Estefan; “12 Days of Holidays”

• Thanks 3

I was surprised to see Joy was moderating, but happy about it! The fiddling with the cell-phone at the beginning made me laugh, I don't know why someone didn't run it behind-the-scenes more quickly than that, lol. Also got a laugh out of Ana pointing out Sunny pronouncing "Desjardins" from her legal note almost like "sardines." Fun show today.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

What was up with the cell phone? I am surprised that a PA does not confiscate all phones before the hosts' entrance. Why even bring it to the stage? I do not like to point the finger of blame as I enjoy all of the hosts, but this happening was unprofessional, embarrassing, poor service to viewers, and tacky. The specific ring tone (what ever it was) did not help. Sunny was particularly smug at being the only one with the wherewithall to take the phone off stage and technical skills to know how to turn the ringtone off. The hosts are earning plus or minus $500K each, but leaving cell phones in their dressing rooms is too much to ask? Hoo boy!

Cell phones have been a part of life for more than a quarter century. But their intrusive presence still pops up, at weddings, funerals, church services, doctor's appointments, academic testing and other occasions that should be quiet, private and cell free.  Yes, even on a live production of a commercial TV show.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Ana pointing out Sunny pronouncing "Desjardins" from her legal note almost like "sardines."

And then Sunny saying that she has laryngitis.  Hasn't she had it for weeks now?  What's up with that?

20 minutes ago, FaginZorro said:

What was up with the cell phone? I am surprised that a PA does not confiscate all phones before the hosts' entrance. Why even bring it to the stage? I do not like to point the finger of blame as I enjoy all of the hosts, but this happening was unprofessional, embarrassing, poor service to viewers, and tacky. The specific ring tone (what ever it was) did not help. Sunny was particularly smug at being the only one with the wherewithall to take the phone off stage and technical skills to know how to turn the ringtone off. The hosts are earning plus or minus $500K each, but leaving cell phones in their dressing rooms is too much to ask? Hoo boy!

Cell phones have been a part of life for more than a quarter century. But their intrusive presence still pops up, at weddings, funerals, church services, doctor's appointments, academic testing and other occasions that should be quiet, private and cell free.  Yes, even on a live production of a commercial TV show.

She was the one looking at her phone a week or two ago because her little angel had sent her a text, probably need his ass wiping, so she has nothing to be smug about. Not that has ever stopped her.

• Wink 1

I don't understand why any of the hosts would have their phones on them during the show.  It's very unprofessional and what could they possibly need them for?  They could have a PA answer their phones backstage if there was an emergency, otherwise, their calls and texts can wait.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

I don't understand why any of the hosts would have their phones on them during the show. 

Because they're the stars of the show.  Joy's been on the show for thirty years.  I would love to see her reaction if Brian Teta asked her to leave her phone in her dressing room!

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2

With Ana recovering from COVID, with COVID still being around, why in the BLUEDILLY FUCK didn't Heigl's mother, sister, and daughter wear a  mask?!

While I laughed at Joy's remarks to Teta, I rolled my eyes, that at this stage, Sara didn't know how to silence her phone. You turn the switch on the upper left hand side DOWN.

Dammit. I don't get paid until Wednesday, and I want that Spa thingie.

But no way in HELL, would I fork over a $100 for a fake tree.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

With Ana recovering from COVID, with COVID still being around, why in the BLUEDILLY FUCK didn't Heigl's mother, sister, and daughter wear a  mask?!

While I laughed at Joy's remarks to Teta, I rolled my eyes, that at this stage, Sara didn't know how to silence her phone. You turn the switch on the upper left hand side DOWN.

Dammit. I don't get paid until Wednesday, and I want that Spa thingie.

But no way in HELL, would I fork over a $100 for a fake tree.

There were some great buys today on "View Your Deal" (and, I usually don't pay attention to that!!!)  Great prices on the Analon cookware and the arcade games.  The Paw Patrol arcade game is already sold on on "View Your Deal".  On Amazon, Target, etc., it is priced at $179.00.  I was contemplating it for my granddaughter, but not at $179.00.

2 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I’m guessing the phone thing is for breaking news. If they go to commercial and something is breaking, they can update themselves fairly quickly. I don’t know why she didn’t have the phone on vibrate. 

They're not journalists.  And this isn't a news show.

If something is breaking and Teta thinks they should talk about it, they all have ear pieces where a producer would tell them what to talk about next-if they want to. So many times, they've been behind breaking news or hot topics, if you will, on this show.

The way Sara was struggling with her phone, you would think she'd never heard of the vibrate function.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Sunny’s stance has softened considerably regarding Will Smith. I noticed she didn’t even use one of her favorite words-“accountability.” I guess her support for his film Emancipation has gotten in the way of her ideals when it comes to “accountability.” And she’s never seen Love, Actually? Really?

Edited by TimWil
  • Like 2
  • Wink 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

The View: Puts up photo of three very young children on the screen while the hosts discuss these children and their bodies. 

Also The View after spending several minutes speculating on the origin of children's abs: people shouldn't be discussing children's bodies.

WTF? I would like to introduce them to a kettle. 

• Like 2
  • Wink 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

As someone who took gymnastics as a wee until past puberty and was also very active (played tackle football with the boyz until puberty), I never developed abs like the ones shown today.

I think doing crunches is how you get such delineated abs. So I'm not so sure I believe what was said and what Sunny said about it.

And I'm getting weary of Sunny's smugness or whatever you call it when she brushed aside and said she's never seen Love, Actually. I thought it was okay myself; hated the stalker angle that, of course, they didn't discuss on the show. And it was seen as "awwwww, such unrequited love!" when no, she was married and he was stalking her.

Totally 🙄 and 😒 Sunny's comments that she wouldn't be able to follow different subplots in a movie. Shut up.

Love, love, LOVE Samuel Jackson. And I don't know how I feel about the Who's the Boss? reboot, since Katherine Helmond is gone. And where was Judith Light in that picture? Mrs. Rossini was a supporting character at most-and an annoying one at that.

And if Alyssa Milano wants to stay on Twitter, then shut up about it, Whoopi; and don't be telling people what they should do.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, TimWil said:

Sunny’s stance has softened considerably regarding Will Smith. I noticed she didn’t even use one of her favorite words-“accountability.” I guess her support for his film Emancipation has gotten in the way of her ideals when it comes to “accountability.” And she’s never seen Love, Actually? Really?

OMG breaking news!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smug Sunny is being a hypocrite AGAIN!!!!

I've never seen that movie either, neither has the wife apparently.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

As for Sunny's statement how Emancipation is the movie for everyone to see as it shows owners as "nice guys" who abused and tortured their slaves? I saw that for myself on television back in the 70s. It was called Roots. Did she never hear of that mini-series or watch that, which spanned three generations?

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
39 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

As for Sunny's statement how Emancipation is the movie for everyone to see as it shows owners as "nice guys" who abused and tortured their slaves? I saw that for myself on television back in the 70s. It was called Roots. Did she never hear of that mini-series or watch that, which spanned three generations?

Not only that, but Roots was actually remade a few years ago. LeVar Burton himself has been a guest on this show many times. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
47 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I thought the same thing.  When she was talking about the slave who had lashes on his back I thought for sure she would have mentioned Roots and how that was shown.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Totally 🙄 and 😒 Sunny's comments that she wouldn't be able to follow different subplots in a movie. Shut up.

The novel she wrote had different subplots.  Does she think it might confusing for people to read?

• LOL 1

"Photoshopped" muscles? ... Ummm...my kids were on swim teams from the time they were five years old.  There were always little boys (girls wore one-piece suits) who had those abs.  Mine didn't...and they never would.  It's GENETICS, people.  Nothing new!

ETA:  I've seen the clip a few times and now I can see those children ARE muscled--but there was also some "filtering" going on of the snapshot.

16 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:
16 hours ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I’m guessing the phone thing is for breaking news.

This is hilarious!  Joy's phone is for texts from Steve, Mario Cantone and Susie Essman.

Sunny's calls are from her children--usually her son.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • LOL 2
12 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

OMG breaking news!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smug Sunny is being a hypocrite AGAIN!!!!

Q:  Sunny, if the story of Whipped Peter in EMANCIPATION is “such an important and pivotal moment moment for civil rights," why select, for the leading role, a controversial actor who humiliated himself, his family, and another Black man (a bigger star) by a slap—a slap

A: Because Will Smith is a producer of the film and probably had final choice.

There are MANY Black actors who would perform this role perfectly--and probably be talked about as Oscar potential.  

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Applause 4
3 hours ago, TimWil said:

It was interesting.  How much apology is enough?  He could be in jail for assault for crying out loud.  Having to resign from the Academy is his biggest punishment?  He can’t go to the awards if he’s nominated?  Boo hoo.  The guy is lucky Chris did t press charges when the police in the theater offered.  It’s sad that the movie might be hurt but that’s the way it goes.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3

Sunny, Sunny, Sunny ... So judgmental.  Please watch today's show for your rude body language and eye-rolling over a classic movie anniversary your network is publicizing, 2003's "Love, Actually."  You're already JUDGING while Joy starts to speak.  Of course, viewers are assuming you saw the movie and disagreed. Check again while Alyssa is speaking, then the SNOOTY, "I've never seen it (picking up your coffee mug...putting it down--is that a little signal?), I've never seen it." You go on--disagreeing with more descrptions.

"It sounds very confusing, a convoluted storyline. Sounds like it's got a lot going on," all the time shaking your head.  "I've never seen it." Too many different pieces,' with an almost snear...and the tiniest shoulder shrug. You want to see typical Sunny? This was it in one small segment.

SUNNY, your comments lead me to believe you also couldn't watch something like, "Waiting to Exhale," or were you not watching "R" movies yet?  You were single and twenty-seven.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, TimWil said:

12 minutes ago, Rainyhawk said:

It was interesting.  How much apology is enough?  He could be in jail for assault for crying out loud.  Having to resign from the Academy is his biggest punishment?  He can’t go to the awards if he’s nominated?  Boo hoo.  The guy is lucky Chris did t press charges when the police in the theater offered.  It’s sad that the movie might be hurt but that’s the way it goes.  

Well what she said today about Will was contradicting what she said the day after the Oscars or maybe it was after the Academy passed down the punishment. She said, If I recall correctly, that this was accountability/consequences for what he did.

But today, she's like "how much is enough?" and throwing out "cancel culture" because of the movie. So make up your mind. Whoopi was the only one who refused to cast blame, which is par for the course for her.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
24 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But today, she's like "how much is enough?" and throwing out "cancel culture" because of the movie. So make up your mind

If Will was promoting a Marvel movie would Sunny feel the same way? When the slap happened I gotta be honest. I was surprised Sunny didn't defend him.  I thought she would have understood since has been known to get a little crazy in the name of love.  

In the clip they showed today of Will Smith he is still IMO rationalizing what he did.  He might be sincerely sorry for what  he did but in that moment he thought he was right to do it.  I hope he is getting therapy.  There is a lot he is internalizing that is manifesting itself externally in very unhealthy ways.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Q:  Sunny, if the story of Whipped Peter in EMANCIPATION is “such an important and pivotal moment moment for civil rights," why select, for the leading role,  a controversial actor who humiliated himself, his family, and another Black man (a bigger star) by a slap—a slap

A: Because Will Smith is a producer of the film and probably had final choice.

There are MANY Black actors who would perform this role with perfections--and probably also be talked about for an Oscar.  

This movie was already completed before "the slap" occurred.   There are many Black actors who could have done the role, but very few who have the box office draw to get the movie made by a major studio.   Without Will the movie likely doesn't get made.   

21 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well what she said today about Will was contradicting what she said the day after the Oscars or maybe it was after the Academy passed down the punishment. She said, If I recall correctly, that this was accountability/consequences for what he did.

But today, she's like "how much is enough?" and throwing out "cancel culture" because of the movie. So make up your mind. Whoopi was the only one who refused to cast blame, which is par for the course for her.

Like a lot of America, I was outraged by what Will did.  Still don't like it.  But for me, I'm good moving forward.  It doesn't make sense (to me) to keep beating him up and denying him a career over one very childish act.    I think the ladies did a good job of discussing separating the actor from the art, and how it really is a personal thing versus anything Will can do/say going forward.    

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Like a lot of America, I was outraged by what Will did.  Still don't like it.  But for me, I'm good moving forward.  It doesn't make sense (to me) to keep beating him up and denying him a career over one very childish act.    I think the ladies did a good job of discussing separating the actor from the art, and how it really is a personal thing versus anything Will can do/say going forward.    

I don't think he should be cancelled forever.  I don't think he will ever do something like that again.  But whatever cohost said he will forever be remembered for the slap is correct.  His winning the Oscar that night is always going to be overshadowed by the slap.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I've never heard anything about Will Smith apologizing to Chris Rock in person or at least on the phone.  It doesn't mean it never happened, but it looks to me like the apology is only on social media.  To me, saying on social media "I apologize" is not an apology to Chris Rock.  Call him up and apologize.  (Maybe he has and we just don't know about it.)  If he hasn't done that or at least made the attempt to reach Chris, then shame on him.

I've never seen Love, Actually.  I know it's considered a classic, but I just never got around to seeing it.

Lol, I noticed that when Alyssa and Sunny were commenting on the kids with abs, there was a quick camera shot of Joy texting on her phone. 😄

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I think the panel might be a little kinder to Will Smith now, because they liked him before. I may be cynical, but the fact that this latest "apology" (it really seemed like more of an explanation) comes just as his movie is coming out is convenient. It seems like he'd like for everyone to get over the controversy of his bad behavior and concentrate on the film. He's not the first actor/actress/writer/singer/whatever to use this tactic when they have something to sell, and it works pretty well. The people who don't have anything to sell seem to stay stuck in the well of judgement for a lot longer. 

About the issue about the kids' pictures - if you post pictures of your kids, you can't be surprised when people comment on them, especially now, when everyone feels that they have to comment on everything. (I do get the irony. :-))

Same with Twitter (disclosure - I am not on Twitter) - if you don't want responses, why tweet? I know there are people or companies that use Twitter just to announce things like releases or updates, but for people who tweet to tell everyone what they think, they should expect to hear back. Otherwise, they're just tweeting to hear themselves tweet. 

Samuel and LaTanya were wonderful! They have a great dynamic.

After seeing bits and pieces of Love, Actually on TV over the years, I think I've probably seen the entire film, just not all at once. I will say, it doesn't seem very Christmassy to me, with a few of the stories being sad or strange (the cheating husband, the porno stand-ins, the guy in love with his friend's wife, for example). But even seeing it in segments, I didn't find it hard to follow. It isn't that unusual a format for a movie (think Pulp Fiction, for an example in a different genre). It's a type of vignette movie, something that was in style for a while multiple decades ago, and shows up again every so often. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:
6 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

But whatever cohost said he will forever be remembered for the slap is correct. 

But that's only half the story.  Every attempt at an apology has turned into a non-apology explanation.  Just say you fucked up, you're sorry, and move on!

I've seen only the quick clips of Smith's latest "apology," but he seemed "over-served" and overacting.

8 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Does she think it might confusing for people to read?

I downloaded her audiobooks; haven't listened to them because I'm probably not SMART enough to understand.

6 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

In the clip they showed today of Will Smith he is still IMO rationalizing what he did. 

And not doing a convincing job.  Sometime, some day, he needs to be his own man.  Remember how beloved he was BJ?  Before Jada.  I remain surprised that she continues to have so much too much influence on him.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Sunny, Sunny, Sunny ... So judgmental.  Please watch today's show for your rude body language and eye-rolling over a classic movie anniversary your network is publicizing, 2003's "Love, Actually."  You're already JUDGING while Joy starts to speak.  Of course, viewers are assuming you saw the movie and disagreed. Check again while Alyssa is speaking, then the SNOOTY, "I've never seen it (picking up your coffee mug...putting it down--is that a little signal?), I've never seen it." You go on--disagreeing with more descrptions.

"It sounds very confusing, a convoluted storyline. Sounds like it's got a lot going on," all the time shaking your head.  "I've never seen it." Too many different pieces,' with an almost snear...and the tiniest shoulder shrug. You want to see typical Sunny? This was it in one small segment.

SUNNY, your comments lead me to believe you also couldn't watch something like, "Waiting to Exhale," or were you not watching "R" movies yet?  You were single and twenty-seven.

I started watching this morning paused on the kids pictures and left for hours so was interested in what folks were saying. I was shocked because to me  they looked like wrinkled old people. Do I understand one is 3 and has those abs? I have very mixed feelings because I’ve seen parents push kids into sports that they were interested in as toddlers who don’t know where home plate is.  I’m finding it very had to believe Sunny your children looked like that from hiking. Ok I just looked it up and the picture is much better than what showed on my screen. One little guy has a stomach but the picture shows veins popping out of his neck. 
As a skinny child and teen  etc I don’t  like the look.  
Then when Joy started talking about Love Actually I see Sunny what I first thought was her makeup sculpturing but she’s  sucking in her cheeks and looked like she was smelling a fart.  So they talk about these things in the morning so she gets her stink face on for the whole discussion. Maybe I’m just crabby because it took a half hour to get my Taco Bell tonight. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

A picture is worth a thousand words. Sunny was talking about a picture of a Black slave with terrible scars on his back from being beaten during the time that slavery was legal in the united states and it did change the  false narrative that slaves were being treated humanely by their southern owners and that northerners were lying about the horrors of slavery. 

Sunny was right in that it did galvanize the abolitionist movement in the North.  Just like there are holocaust deniers in our time there were slavery deniers back then. So nothing is new under the sun..

Roots is completely different because it was a movie about slavery with actors depicting slaves whereas that picture was a real human being who was a slave..

3 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

And not doing a convincing job.  Sometime, some day, he needs to be his own man.  Remember how beloved he was BJ?  Before Jada.  I remain surprised that she continues to have so much too much influence on him.

I wish that people would leave Jada alone because Will made the decision to act a fool.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, After7Only said:

Exactly people are acting like Will murdered somebody.. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

So Sunny is not allowed to not be interested in a movie. Sunny really triggers people on here.. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Then when Joy started talking about Love Actually I see Sunny what I first thought was her makeup sculpturing but she’s  sucking in her cheeks and looked like she was smelling a fart.  So they talk about these things in the morning so she gets her stink face on for the whole discussion. Maybe I’m just crabby because it took a half hour to get my Taco Bell tonight. 

Hilarious!  The winnah!!!     As for Taco Bell, my son lives with me.  Recently if he's going out at night for Taco Bell he ends up calling me just to let me know the line is long--AND on the drive-thru order screen there was once a note, "Only one team member working tonight.  Be patient."

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/28/2022 at 6:30 PM, babyhouseman said:

I thought the cell phone thing was funny. My parents are close to Joy's age and don't like cell phones.

I'm two years older than Joy and LOVE my cell phone.  Sadly, I have few opportunities to use it.  I'd love to know the basics and the tricks and perform them immediately, but without practice, it ain't gonna happen.  I mostly take/send photos.  Joy, however, seems to treat her phone as another appendage; she should be more than up to snuff by now.  I bet if I had grandchildren, I'd be forced into heavy use--if I wanted to keep in touch.

• Love 3
On 11/28/2022 at 10:19 AM, FaginZorro said:

Sunny was particularly smug

On 11/28/2022 at 10:41 AM, Welshman in Ca said:

she has nothing to be smug about.

On 11/29/2022 at 11:24 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I'm getting weary of Sunny's smugness

On 11/29/2022 at 11:34 AM, Welshman in Ca said:

Smug Sunny is being a hypocrite AGAIN!!!!

Now that I see many viewers thinking along the same lines, I'd bet relatives, teachers, professors, employers, colleagues, friends, have TRIED to explain this to her.  She's in her 50s.  I've decided it's hopeless; I hope I can simmah down.

Edited by Back Atcha
Bolding: I'm being SMUG about SMUG
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1

I disagree with Joy regarding Senator Mike Lee. I don't think he is delusional in thinking SCOTUS won't overturn Obergefell.  I think he is hoping they do and is disappointed Congress is codifying it.  

I do agree with Alyssa though.  Marriage equality being more widely accepted has a lot do with younger people.  There is not a Millennial or Gen Yer who doesn't have a friend or family member who is LGTBQ.

Also agree with Whoopi.  Your right to believe what  you believe stops at forcing me abide by your beliefs.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Love 4

The infidelity poll - Whoopi's description of how many cheating women have cats was a wonderful illustration of cases where despite the numbers there's no reasonable relationship between the factors - 19% of (German) women who cheat have cats - so what? Would not having a cat (or any pet listed) indicate a more faithful character? I'm sure Whoopi called these stats out specifically to show how far-fetched some polls can be, and I agree with her, especially about a poll with such a small sample. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1