Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 11/28/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Also agree with Whoopi.  Your right to believe what  you believe stops at forcing me abide by your beliefs.

I agree as well. It is important to recognize that this is a two-way street, though - if you don't believe what I believe, you don't have the right to force me to give up or change my beliefs. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Exactly people are acting like Will murdered somebody.. 

As much as we’ve learned about the behavior of so many in Hollywood the last several years, Will is probably one of the more decent men in show business.

12 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

So Sunny is not allowed to not be interested in a movie. Sunny really triggers people on here.. 

There are lots of huge movies I have no interest in. A movie takes at least a couple of hours to watch. Sunny is plenty busy with her work, family, friends, and hobbies. I don’t blame her if she doesn’t want to watch just any movie. 

I also like The Holiday better than Love Actually. 

I think Sunny is entitled to change her tune on Will. Maybe she was initially shocked by the slap but all this time later thinks, enough already. 

• Love 5

Joy looked great today in the red suit she was wearing. How much things have changed, I remember when Joy was the one who only ever dressed in black, meanwhile today Joy is the colorful one and everyone else was in black. 😄 I liked Sunny's hair, too.

I disagreed with Sara today when she argued with Joy pointing out the inconsistency over LGBT issues versus women's issues. Sara claimed some people see abortion as "murder" because of religion and that's different, but that same extreme demonizing language for a woman's freedoms is used towards LGBT issues when they try to translate things related to LGBT (adoption or what have you) into claims of "child abuse" or "grooming." If you're going to try to legitimize that kind of inflammatory, demonizing language about issues for one group the way Sara did today, it is inconsistent to think it can't easily be applied to another group.

I agreed with Joy calling Lee delusional, although I think it's more a calculated pretense he's putting on that nothing is in danger when everyone knows very well that it is.

• Applause 4
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:
13 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

So Sunny is not allowed to not be interested in a movie. Sunny really triggers people on here.. 

There are lots of huge movies I have no interest in. A movie takes at least a couple of hours to watch. Sunny is plenty busy with her work, family, friends, and hobbies. I don’t blame her if she doesn’t want to watch just any movie. 

It seemed "more" than she didn't want to watch just any movie.  The movie was probably discussed when preparing for the show--since it was a scheduled segment.  Because she didn't know what film they were talking about, she felt left out--or something else happened.  Her "attitude" during the discussion was a bit much.  Wouldn't most people say simply, "Oh, I didn't see it," and that would be the end of it?  She made it into her own melodrama.   (I think Sunny is always concerned about being left out--in the past and in the future.)

• Applause 2
  • Love 5
On 11/30/2022 at 11:55 AM, TheGreenKnight said:

Joy calling Lee delusional...I think it's more a calculated pretense he's putting on that nothing is in danger when everyone knows very well that it is.

Yeah - the ol' "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" has been ver-r-r-y effective in the past year.   I was disappointed there was no reference to the guilty verdicts in the Elmer Stewart Rhodes, et al, trial.  Hope the Viewmasters aren't gonna limit hot topics in favor of the oh so boring agony aunts issues/spurious GERMAN polls for the hols.

Updated Thursday, 2 days since 2 leaders of the Oathkeepers were found guilty of seditious conspiracy to overthrow the federal government in the Jan 6 insurrection, and still no acknowledgment on The View!  Or did I miss it?

Edited by Oneofem
A major omission by The View, which typically discusses such issues, begs the question
  • Like 1

Full disclosure: I like Sunny.  A lot!  And I agree that her “I didn’t see it, I’m not interested’ attitude about Love Actually was a bit much during today’s discussion.  Although, I’ve never seen it either 😂.  But!  It’s no worse than Whoopi’s constant introduction of a topic she doesn’t care about, usually anything pulled from an advice column, social media etc., and then her childish behavior while the others discuss the topic.  Rolling her eyes, bending over, general obvious non-engagement.  I’d rather she play on her phone, as Joy was accused of doing (I didn’t see it).  

She’s paid entirely too much money to act like a bored child for approximately 1/3 of each show!!  Like, here I’ll do my best not to mangle the introduction of this topic, and then I’ll make it very obvious that I think it’s beneath me.  Why do they continuously let her get away with that behavior ???

Edited by jalady
Changed a word
  • Applause 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Oneofem said:

Yeah - the ol' "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" has been ver-r-r-y effective in the past year.  

Gaslighting was the word of the year for a reason..

Senator Lee is doing the old nothing to see here shtick when we all know there is definitely something to see here.

• Applause 3
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, jalady said:

But!  It’s no worse than Whoopi’s constant introduction of a topic she doesn’t care about, usually anything pulled from an advice column, social media etc., and then her childish behavior while the others discuss the topic.  Rolling her eyes, bending over, general obvious non-engagement.  I’d rather she play on her phone, as Joy was accused of doing (I didn’t see it).  

She’s paid entirely too much money to act like a bored child for approximately 1/3 of each show!!  Like, here I’ll do my best not to mangle the introduction of this topic, and then I’ll make it very obvious that I think it’s beneath me.  Why do they continuously let her get away with that behavior ???

You would think that during their pre-show discussion of topics that will be covered, direct feedback would be appropriate (and the eye-rolling, yawning, etc. demonstrations of non-interest wouldn't be so out of place), but once the decision is made to talk about a topic, the ladies should be professional and do their jobs. My guess is that they do this kind of thing to discourage the producers from continuing to bring these kinds of topics up for the show. It may be that Whoopi, at least, has a contract that would require them to pay her off if she is let go, so it's a win-win for her if she gets to show how she feels about the topics. 

My question is whether the panelists get to suggest topics for discussion - if they can, then they might be more engaged. On the other hand, there are some viral topics that everyone is going to talk about, so the producers might think they can't ignore them. I saw people talking about Will Smith, and also "Love, Actually" everywhere the other day.

Refreshing to have a day without Sara.

I agreed with Whoopi when she not so subtly blew up Alyssa's comment about instinct, because not all women are the same, being "maternal" is not something that comes naturally to every woman. Some people have it, some people don't. Also agreed with Joy in the opening segment that there need to be a mix of young and old leaders because the young can learn from the old. Whoopi said something there I thought was pretty dumb, but I'll let that be.

I love Mindy Kaling. Not much else to say beyond that, it was nice to see her as a guest.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

When I started dating after my husband died ten years ago if it was a first date I always offered to pay for my dinner.  The men always said no it's their treat.  If I saw the man again he would pay for the following dates and I would usually throw in the tip.  There was one asshole who I had dinner with and he was nice enough but I just didn't think we clicked.  I offered to pay for mine because I knew I wasn't going to see him again and he said no I got it.  After the date I texted him and thanked him for dinner but I didn't feel any chemistry with him and I wished him well.  He didn't take the rejection well and accused me of using him for a free meal.  Even though I offered to pay for mine.  So I agree with Joy.  Sometimes a man paying for the date gives them a lopsided power dynamic.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

When I started dating after my husband died ten years ago if it was a first date I always offered to pay for my dinner.  The men always said no it's their treat.  If I saw the man again he would pay for the following dates and I would usually throw in the tip.  There was one asshole who I had dinner with and he was nice enough but I just didn't think we clicked.  I offered to pay for mine because I knew I wasn't going to see him again and he said no I got it.  After the date I texted him and thanked him for dinner but I didn't feel any chemistry with him and I wished him well.  He didn't take the rejection well and accused me of using him for a free meal.  Even though I offered to pay for mine.  So I agree with Joy.  Sometimes a man paying for the date gives them a lopsided power dynamic.  

It's a minefield out there. My ex wife told me she met a guy for coffee at a Starbucks as a first date & he asked if he could get a BJ after the coffee was finished!! 

• Mind Blown 10
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I agreed with Whoopi when she not so subtly blew up Alyssa's comment about instinct, because not all women are the same, being "maternal" is not something that comes naturally to every woman. Some people have it, some people don't.

True, not every woman has a maternal instinct, but there's a vast difference between not being very maternal and not worrying at all that the child who is in your care is missing for weeks. That requires a lack of human instinct, whether you are a mother or not. While Whoopi's point is true, it is a bit of a diss to non-maternal women to suggest (even subtly) that that is the main reason for Casey Anthony's behavior when her daughter disappeared.

Heck, when I watched my neighbor's cats for a few days and I couldn't locate one, I went all through the house searching for her and I worried until she showed up (which she did, eventually). 

• Fire 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, jalady said:

Full disclosure: I like Sunny.  A lot!  And I agree that her “I didn’t see it, I’m not interested’ attitude about Love Actually was a bit much during today’s discussion.  Although, I’ve never seen it either 😂.  But!  It’s no worse than Whoopi’s constant introduction of a topic she doesn’t care about,

Pre-Covid saw A LOT of movies (I love the entire industry).  When discussing films with my friends, an "I've never seen it," or "I haven't heard of that one," is never given or met with anything other than a declarative sentence.  I keep telling you, something's up with Sunny.

And here's a continuance about Whoopi:

19 hours ago, jalady said:

I agree.  I have a friend* who LOVES Whoopi and thinks she's hilarious--she finds her "boredom" really funny...just part of Whoopi's schtick--even though my friends loves All Things Insipid that Whoopi can't stand.  Please tell me the viewers don't praise her behavioir as "entertainment" and help keep that CRAP ATTITUDE on display again and again and......................

*We've been best friends since 1948--there's no escaping anymore.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, KittyQ said:

While Whoopi's point is true, it is a bit of a diss to non-maternal women to suggest (even subtly) that that is the main reason for Casey Anthony's behavior when her daughter disappeared.

I don't think Whoopi was suggesting in any way that this was justification for Casey Anthony, she just objected to Alyssa inserting false ideas about supposed "biological instinct" for women into the topic when it was inappropriate.

4 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Also the point Whoopi made about not picking what you want because you're thinking of how the guy couldn't afford it and you don't want him to pay more, lol. But really Ana is the one that made me giggle on that topic when she went on some rant about how she can't drink cheap liquor or take cheap anything these days.

• LOL 3
18 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

I have a friend* who LOVES Whoopi and thinks she's hilarious--she finds her "boredom" really funny...just part of Whoopi's schtick-

Years ago I was on another forum that had a View board (not TWOP) and there were a few posters who every single time Whoopi would do the sneaking on stage to take things bit would talk about how funny it was and how clever she was.  I mean every single time.  I thought I need to find a better forum to discuss the View.  Found my way to TWOP and then found my way here.  The conversations here are so much better than reading comments about Whoopi creeping on stage.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I also try harder to pay if I realize during the date there will be no second date. 

2 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

It's a minefield out there. My ex wife told me she met a guy for coffee at a Starbucks as a first date & he asked if he could get a BJ after the coffee was finished!! 

Lord! This is why I am VERY careful with who I'll date.

I have mixed thoughts about who should pay for a date. 

While I think the wage gap is complicated, what's not complicated is how expensive it is to be a woman. We have to pay for bras, more expensive clothes, feminine hygiene products, more expensive razors and deodorant, expected to be smooth and hairless everywhere, are expected to wear some amount of makeup and groomed nails no matter what anyone says, etc. It is WAY easier to pay for a meal. A manicure alone costs more. 

Also, I actually am that cheap date! I'm vegetarian, have a slight build, and don't drink. I order an affordable entree wherever I go, and that's it. I get full fast. No lobster, steak, alcohol, and usually no appetizer or desserts either. Now I can actually eat a lot, but am more of a grazer, but I digress. I also think the fact women can get pregnant, whether we want kids or not, like to see that a man is willing to provide. That side of me thinks a man should pay, at the very minimum the first date. I don't agree with everything Steve Harvey says, but I think what he says about a man not being able to pay for a meal, how do we know he'd support a family, there is something to that.

The side of me that is scared of men using a meal to think they're entitled to sex makes me think we should each pay for ourselves. I don't believe in splitting it even on a first date, because like I said, I don't eat enough for it to even be fair. My food may cost $20, and his may cost $100. Mind you, despite all that, I am not entirely old-fashioned. If I made more money than my husband, I don't at all mind spending more on him and being a breadwinner. I don't think everything has to be traditional. I'm all for boss babes and stay at home dads. Finances/who pays for what depends on what stage of the relationship you're in, who asked who out, the occasion, who makes how much money, etc. The reason I understand some old-fashioned norms is because as much as most of us want equality, there are some things we cannot change. 

I don't think the vast majority of women would use a man for a meal, but if they do, that's obviously not cool. I don't like a man wasting his money on me. I also don't think it's cool to order a bunch of stuff just because you can think you can get a lot out of a man, not very nice. But a man should be able to pay for the first date with a woman that he asked her out on without expecting sexual favors. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

If I saw the man again he would pay for the following dates and I would usually throw in the tip.

I was on a date and my date offered to pay her share and I told her that's ok, I'll pay for it and you can leave the tip.  That's when she told me that she never carries cash, even pin money (as my mother calls it...lol).  So, I ended up paying for the whole thing, anyway!🙂

1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

Years ago I was on another forum that had a View board (not TWOP) and there were a few posters who every single time Whoopi would do the sneaking on stage to take things bit would talk about how funny it was and how clever she was.  I mean every single time.  I thought I need to find a better forum to discuss the View.  Found my way to TWOP and then found my way here.  The conversations here are so much better than reading comments about Whoopi creeping on stage.

OMG!!!   That sneaking/taking/stealing (especially expensive things she could buy at the drop of a hat) was MORE THAN IRRITATING.  Perhaps more viewers griped about it than applauded it ... at last The Powers That Be noticed.   "Clever" is a word I don't use regarding Whoopi; I'm sure many do.  I need to remind myself that we don't see that "swiping" these days--when I want to complain about Sunny's insincere delivery on "View Your Deal."    Oh, I LOVE that!   Oh, I HAVE that!  Oh, I NEED that!

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

I was on a date and my date offered to pay her share and I told her that's ok, I'll pay for it and you can leave the tip.  That's when she told me that she never carries cash, even pin money (as my mother calls it...lol).  So, I ended up paying for the whole thing, anyway!

I'm in my 80s ... divorced in 40's and always offered to split the tab---OR buy dinner if I was the invitee.  Over the years I wondered why I never even thought of it when I was a teenage/20s girl dating.  Really, it never entered my mind--and no boys ever griped about the cost of gas or the date.  Most of the them made more money on their part-time jobs than I did.  STILL, I worked at a movie theatre and got us PASSES; no boy ever had to pay for a movie or drive-in with me (or my younger sisters, who followed me on the job).  Sometimes we wondered if they asked us out just for a FREE movie.  We didn't care!

• Applause 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Is that other place still around? I'm not asking for the name just wondering if it's the place I may be thinking of that closed quite a few years ago.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I need to remind myself that we don't see that "swiping" these days--

I wonder if Whoopi got to the point where even she has had her fill of the VYD junk and can’t be bothered with the stealing schtick anymore. 

(Still too busy to watch but I’ll be back next week.)

8 hours ago, Jaded said:

Is that other place still around? I'm not asking for the name just wondering if it's the place I may be thinking of that closed quite a few years ago.

This was probably 15 years ago.  I think it was board on a search engine. Maybe Yahoo.  I remember that a lot of the posters were part of the Red Hat ladies group.

3 hours ago, Haleth said:

I wonder if Whoopi got to the point where even she has had her fill of the VYD junk and can’t be bothered with the stealing schtick anymore.

I don't think she is as physically mobile anymore.

• Love 1

I was surprised to see Joy today. Since she moderated Monday, I almost thought they were going to try flipping the week and have Whoopi moderate Friday's. I wonder how much longer before the show goes on break? I assume it being so close to the holidays is why Ana was there more this week than usual.

Netflix marketing - of course, Netflix would recognize a great marketing opportunity! That's their business model. I doubt that H & M contacted Netflix and told them to release the trailer now, but they don't seem bothered by it, either. 

As someone on the panel said, H & M keep "telling their story", and it always is about how poorly they are treated. They've removed themselves from the regular working part of the Royal Family, they are living in a completely different country, they are making their own way doing what they want to do, so what do they want? In my life, there is at least one person who goes over and over the same grievances, regardless of how many times people have apologized, explained or change their behavior.  H & M remind me of them.  You can't change the past, you can only affect the future, and beating people over the head with your accusations isn't going to change their opinions or feelings. They may change how they act around you, and that might be good enough, but if you really want them to change their feelings, you have to be persuasive, not accusatory.

• Applause 4
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Netflix marketing - of course, Netflix would recognize a great marketing opportunity! That's their business model. I doubt that H & M contacted Netflix and told them to release the trailer now, but they don't seem bothered by it, either. 

As someone on the panel said, H & M keep "telling their story", and it always is about how poorly they are treated. They've removed themselves from the regular working part of the Royal Family, they are living in a completely different country, they are making their own way doing what they want to do, so what do they want? In my life, there is at least one person who goes over and over the same grievances, regardless of how many times people have apologized, explained or change their behavior.  H & M remind me of them.  You can't change the past, you can only affect the future, and beating people over the head with your accusations isn't going to change their opinions or feelings. They may change how they act around you, and that might be good enough, but if you really want them to change their feelings, you have to be persuasive, not accusatory.

They are fast losing any sympathy, MM just seems to come across as a certified grade A whiner and H just seems to sit there agreeing with everything she says like a nodding dog.

I've said it before & nobody will change my mind, she expected to become an A list celebrity when she married into the royal family and it doesn't work like that in the UK so she convinced H to move to the USA where their perceived royal status is revered. Being anything less than 1st or 2nd in line to the throne makes you a minor royal & she does not like being out of the spotlight.

• Like 4
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

As someone on the panel said, H & M keep "telling their story", and it always is about how poorly they are treated. They've removed themselves from the regular working part of the Royal Family, they are living in a completely different country, they are making their own way doing what they want to do, so what do they want?

I think if the tabloids would let up with the constant stream of borderline abusive "news" about them it would help.  But I don't blame them for continuing to tell their story rather than accept the barrage of insulting tabloid garbage with gentle good humour.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I think if the tabloids would let up with the constant stream of borderline abusive "news" about them it would help.  But I don't blame them for continuing to tell their story rather than accept the barrage of insulting tabloid garbage with gentle good humour.

I'll bet that cycle of "news" / subject's response / "news" about the subject's response / frustration is why the main Royal Family doesn't bother responding to most of the tabloid stuff. There's never anywhere good to go there. The tabloids are unlikely to publish anything saying "Oh, sorry! We didn't mean to upset you" no matter what you say, so why fuel the fire? 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I was surprised to see Joy today. Since she moderated Monday, I almost thought they were going to try flipping the week and have Whoopi moderate Friday's. I wonder how much longer before the show goes on break? I assume it being so close to the holidays is why Ana was there more this week than usual.

Whoopi is narrating the Candlelight Processional at Epcot today and tomorrow, so she wasn't in NY today :) 

• Useful 3
8 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

Megan's son was a few hours old and was called a chimpanzee by these people but she is supposed to accept that with a stiff upper lip because it makes people uncomfortable to expose the racism in Great Britain.. According to these people,  Megan is this mixed blood harlot who seduced Prince Harry away from his family. They have called her every vile name in the book and nearly drove her to suicide but she is supposed to shut up and go away because the ugly truth about racism makes certain people uncomfortable. 

Megan has every right to tell her story and it does not surprise me at all that she is still being persecuted by these people. Megan said it herself she spent all her life enjoying her light-skinned privilege as an ambiguous mixed woman in her podcast with Mariah Carey and it was not until that she married Harry that she got a taste at what it is like to be treated like a Black woman.  She was not protected by the royal family like Sunny said today. Megan was ignored mocked dismissed and made to feel like she did not matter and that she was the one that was causing the problems and being disruptive to the natural order.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Sad 6
  • Applause 5
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Megan's son was a few hours old and was called a chimpanzee by these people but she is supposed to accept that with a stiff upper lip because it makes people uncomfortable to expose the racism in Great Britain.. 

I'm guessing this is in the Netflix doc, because I don't recall her saying anything about this specifically in the Oprah interview. The cynic in me wants to know who "these people" exactly are, because while I can believe there are people who aren't sensitive to racial concerns, it seems hard to believe anyone employed by a high-profile group (TRF) would say something so negative in hearing of Harry or Megan. If it is just hearsay, then like all hearsay, it is not worth the paper it is written on, so to speak. If anyone (including Megan and Harry) thinks that what they are doing will eliminate all forms and degrees of racism in the UK (or anywhere else), they are delusional. Racism (however you define it) is not something that will be "fixed" this way; hearts and minds must be changed and learning the error of their ways is only the first step for most people. Further change needs for people to become comfortable with new perspectives, which isn't always quick.

• Applause 2

This is a story I've read often.  Who knows if it's true:  According to Harry, someone speculated about what his future child would ‘look like.’ In one version, Camilla remarked, ‘Wouldn’t it be funny if your child had ginger Afro hair?’”  Harry allegedly “laughed” at the comment, but, per Bower, “subsequently, Meghan’s reaction to that conversation turned Harry’s amusement into fury.”

13 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I don't blame them either, since I know this is probably mostly about supporting themselves financially. They have to take care of themselves some way or another, and it's not like someone at their fame level can take a random job. They'd easily be recognized and harassed.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, KittyQ said:

The cynic in me wants to know who "these people" exactly are, because while I can believe there are people who aren't sensitive to racial concerns, it seems hard to believe anyone employed by a high-profile group (TRF) would say something so negative in hearing of Harry or Megan. 

It wasn't hearsay or gossip. It was openly posted on Twitter. A famous BBC Broadcaster (Danny Baker) posted a picture of a chimp with the caption "Royal Baby Leaves Hospital." 

It's beyond frustrating nobody on The View seemed to have any real clue as to why Meghan and Harry refuse to shut up about the impact of racism on their lives - I'm a white woman from Canada, and it's no mystery to me  - the former British counterterrorism police chief stated just this week that the threats against Meghan were horrifying  (kidnapping, dismemberment, gang rape) and that some threats were so severe, people were prosecuted.  (Hey, Ana? Think those violent racist threats are part of why Meghan and Harry keep talking about, you know, violent racist threats?) Sunny mentioned William's godmother (who was forced to resign her position at Court this week due to her foul & bigoted treatment of a Black woman) but not that this awful woman was also put in charge of ushering Meghan into royal life (yet another strong motivation to keep M & H on the topic of handling racism in the palace! And since the royals are exempt from British law re: equal employment, and are allowed to discriminate based on race and sex when hiring, I'm guessing that's one more part of 'royal life' M & H find horrifying, and will hopefully dicuss in the Netflix doc).

And even though I usually find Joy entertaining,  she annoyed me in her wrap-up of the segment (jesus, woman - yes, many people actually do care about the royals, esp. any person of colour living in Britain or the Commonwealth - so stop acting as if they're some obscure group living on the fringes of civilization that only a handful of people care about).

Edited by film noire
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I don't blame them either, since I know this is probably mostly about supporting themselves financially. They have to take care of themselves some way or another, and it's not like someone at their fame level can take a random job. They'd easily be recognized and harassed.

Harry is a very rich man. When his mother died, he inherited millions. Neither Harry nor Megan need to run out and get a job.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, film noire said:

Sunny mentioned William's godmother (who was forced to resign her position at Court this week due to her foul & bigoted treatment of a Black woman) but not that this awful woman was also put in charge of ushering Meghan into royal life (yet another strong motivation to keep M & H on the topic of handling racism in the palace!

Actually, she did mention that. She said something like this woman was "also" the one to usher in Megan to help her. But they just moved on from that and didn't talk about it more.

• Thanks 3

It's well known that Princess Diana complained that she was not made to feel welcome by the Royal Fam - I heard this week that M'lady Hussey was also the person charged with Di's "royal education"/assimilation & that they did NOT get along.  Maybe this aged hussy is just an ignorant,  nasty old bat overall (& definitely has been steeped in generations of classism & snobbery, at a minimum.)  (Don't hit me - I'm a crone meself & 1/2 English, to boot.) 

• Applause 3
  • Love 3

Good to see Sunny’s “mental illness” defense of Kanye West’s anti-semitism being shot down by the others, especially Ana. Like, enough already. West is clearly a loathsome human being with rage issues.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Oneofem said:

It's well known that Princess Diana complained that she was not made to feel welcome by the Royal Fam - I heard this week that M'lady Hussey was also the person charged with Di's "royal education"/assimilation & that they did NOT get along.  Maybe this aged hussy is just an ignorant,  nasty old bat overall (& definitely has been steeped in generations of classism & snobbery, at a minimum.)  (Don't hit me - I'm a crone meself & 1/2 English, to boot.) 

Just quoting in agreement!   Mostly because I'M A CRONE too ... and although mostly Irish with bit-o-German--when my pre-teen sons said they were going to a St. Patrick's Day party with me, my ex-husband said, "WHY? She's English."  Just another thing that poor wretch* couldn't remember.  We'd been married 20yrs.    *late wretch.

• Wink 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, shok said:

Neither Harry nor Megan need to run out and get a job.

Neither Harry nor Megan need to run out and get a job.     ....For the money.

13 hours ago, film noire said:

It's beyond frustrating nobody on The View seemed to have any real clue as to why Meghan and Harry refuse to shut up about the impact of racism on their lives

Yeah...when did this negative swing begin?  I thought they seemed to like the story of Meghan and Harry sometime back.  Now that The Media is negative, they just hop on the bandwagon.  Film Noire, love your moniker.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, KittyQ said:
17 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Megan's son was a few hours old and was called a chimpanzee by these people but she is supposed to accept that with a stiff upper lip because it makes people uncomfortable to expose the racism in Great Britain.. 

I'm guessing this is in the Netflix doc, because I don't recall her saying anything about this specifically in the Oprah interview.

(British) Danny Baker was fired from his radio job after posting this:

RoyalBaby.thumb.jpg.46515deb06a38676d08d874711549667.jpg

• Mind Blown 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TimWil said:

Good to see Sunny’s “mental illness” defense of Kanye West’s anti-semitism being shot down by the others, especially Ana. Like, enough already. West is clearly a loathsome human being with rage issues.

Gotta disagree - loathsome though his views are, KanYE is known to have had longstanding mental health problems, and imo deserves empathy, solely on that basis (unlike more typical,non-disordered bigots.) The little I know of his story, I find it heartbreaking that Ye apparently fell apart after his mother’s post-plastic surgery (how f’ng Hollywood!) death, having relied extraordinarily heavily on her guidance. ( Must admit, however, I’m biased, being in a somewhat similar situation myself. And, of course, lacking the Wests’ resources.  Money can’t solve everything, as we know.  But it certainly helps!)

• Applause 1
13 hours ago, shok said:

Harry is a very rich man. When his mother died, he inherited millions. Neither Harry nor Megan need to run out and get a job.

Depends on how much they spend (or want to spend), I imagine. They're not living off taxpayers for the rest of their lives like I assume the rest of the royal family are?

• Love 1

I found online a report from the BBC (so, credible, right ;)  ) that the Sussexes (H & M) are now financially independent of the Royal Family/UK taxpayers.  O'course, they still wanna live like princes, so all is relative.

Depends on how much they spend (or want to spend), I imagine. 

I think the biggest financial driver is  the exorbitant cost of protection, 24 hours a day. There are still ongoing violent threats against Meghan, Harry and the children - and Harry (as recently as 2018, when they were newlyweds) faced such dire threats from the Taliban, the country residence he and Meghan shared was turned into a fortress to defend against Islamic terrorism:

"While the couple are already well protected at their normal home at Kensington Palace, their countryside home has been transformed into a fortress, with the same level of anti-terrorist security provided at Buckingham Palace and that protects UK Prime Minister Theresa May and spy bases. Motion sensors and cameras are said to have been strategically placed on the property in a bid to catch any intruders.  It has also been included on a list of properties where members of the public risk being jailed for six months if they are found trespassing. Villagers near the country pad in Cotswolds, in south central England, have reportedly been stopped and questioned by heavily-armed, specially trained officers. They are believed to patrol the estate on foot and in unmarked 4WDs."

https://punchng.com/meghan-markle-prince-harry-heavily-guarded-amidst-taliban-threat/

The estimates I've seen are 2 - 3 million a year, minimum, so the amount you need to earn, pre-tax, to cover that post-tax cost is pretty high.  Harry inherited 10 million from Diana on his 25th birthday (presumably that's grown well over time) but even that sum - princely in an ordinary life - is nowhere near enough to fund 24 hour a day protection for a family of four, over the next forty years of their lives. They need to make a lot of money just to stay safe. 

Edited by film noire
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 6
  • Love 2

@film noire: I had thought about the security aspect myself, too, but wow, I wouldn't have guessed it would rack up so high.

They are going to want to hire the best.

I feel for Harry and Meghan.  At the end of the day royal titles or not they are a couple just wanting to live their life on their terms. 

And with regards to Kanye I have zero empathy for him.  Yes he has a mental illness and he has access to all kinds of resources to deal with that mental illness.  I will save my empathy for the mentally ill people who want to get help and lack resources to do so.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

And with regards to Kanye I have zero empathy for him.  Yes he has a mental illness and he has access to all kinds of resources to deal with that mental illness.  I will save my empathy for the mentally ill people who want to get help and lack resources to do so.

Media, hangers-on, wannabes, and various stars and celebrities: need to BACK OFF!  Don't give publicity to ANY of his rants.  You're doing him and his children great harm...and ANNOYING the rest of us!

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3