Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 11/28/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

I really appreciate the people who are posting accurate info on here about Harry and Meghan's experiences with racism and the negative treatment from the royal family. It is because TRF are so wealthy, high status and high profile that, YES, they do think that they can say and do any kind of foul thing to anyone with no repercussions. 

Why is it so hard to believe that a family immersed in and benefitting from generations of colonialism could possibly be racist?

I've never seen Love Actually. I'm good. 

Edited by rollacoaster
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, film noire said:

"While the couple are already well protected at their normal home at Kensington Palace, their countryside home has been transformed into a fortress, with the same level of anti-terrorist security provided at Buckingham Palace and that protects UK Prime Minister Theresa May and spy bases. Motion sensors and cameras are said to have been strategically placed on the property in a bid to catch any intruders.  It has also been included on a list of properties where members of the public risk being jailed for six months if they are found trespassing. Villagers near the country pad in Cotswolds, in south central England, have reportedly been stopped and questioned by heavily-armed, specially trained officers. They are believed to patrol the estate on foot and in unmarked 4WDs."

Given that, why would they (Harry and Meghan) think moving to a less secure environment would be better? There are plenty of issues and questions on all sides that haven't been shared with the public., but for most people, would it be better to stay in the secure environment and presumably have to be "working royals" or to step down from those roles and move somewhere where you have to pay out of pocket for that level of protection?  Maybe there was something in between? I doubt that anyone involved is all-good or all-bad, like most of us and our families. H & M aren't doing themselves many favors by the kind of content they are producing, in my opinion, because they know that the rest of their family (other than Meghan's relatives) are not going to respond directly, and it does seem to people that they continue to complain, which gets old for most readers. TBH, even Diana got to be a bit tiresome when she was alive. If she hadn't died, she might have ended up being more like Princess Margaret than she would like. 

1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

Given that, why would they (Harry and Meghan) think moving to a less secure environment would be better? 

Because remaining was not possible  - which tells me exactly how unbearable that life must have been, since defending against death threats as private citizens felt safer than remaining in that world.

Edited by film noire
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

They are going to want to hire the best.

I feel for Harry and Meghan.  At the end of the day royal titles or not they are a couple just wanting to live their life on their terms. 

And with regards to Kanye...I will save my empathy for the mentally ill people who want to get help and lack resources to do so.

Surely a component of many mental illnesses is the inability to recognize that one actually has a problem that needs remedying, if possible?

6 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I think they'd be happy to live like wealthy  Americans...and safe.   (Not Oprah-Wealthy, of course.)

Not trying to be argumentative, but I really doubt that a "typical," very wealthy (& safe) life will satisfy Harry (at least) for long.  He's spent 35 years as a UK prince, one of the world's most privileged folks, & life as a rich commoner may lose its luster.  Check back in 10 years. His late granduncle, Ed Vlll, never truly adjusted to nonroyal life, even while living it up with Wallis.  My hope for the Sussexes is that they have a splendid, mutually satisfying marriage, & especially that M doesn't abandon H, which I fear could end him.

3 hours ago, Oneofem said:

Not trying to be argumentative, but I really doubt that a "typical," very wealthy (& safe) life will satisfy Harry (at least) for long.  He's spent 35 years as a UK prince, one of the world's most privileged folks, & life as a rich commoner may lose its luster.  Check back in 10 years. His late granduncle, Ed Vlll, never truly adjusted to nonroyal life, even while living it up with Wallis.  My hope for the Sussexes is that they have a splendid, mutually satisfying marriage, & especially that M doesn't abandon H, which I fear could end him.

So concur!  I thought this for a long time, based on just what we see, with no inside information.  Not only being a prince, but, he gave up his entire family and everything comfortable and familiar.  Yes, maybe, that is okay with him, and M and this life are fully satisfying, but, he never really looks happy.  She may get tired of it, like you said, and bail.  I haven't seen this part discussed much anywhere, and would hope The View ladies get into it more.  The racism is truly disgusting.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, film noire said:

Because remaining was not possible  - which tells me exactly how unbearable that life must have been, since defending against death threats as private citizens felt safer than remaining in that world.

Not possible? Of course it was possible, didn't want to more like which is fair enough, they just didn't want to be working royals which is also fine. But yeah okay moving to a more racist & dangerous (guns etc) country is the way to go, that's why they have to sell their soul to Oprah to pay for the security. No doubt there are some very racist people in & around the royal family but implying it was more dangerous than a country where there are more guns than people is just nonsensical.

It's the only world he has known for 35 odd years and she just wants to be the center of attention which she wouldn't have been in the UK as he slides down the royal list, gawd help him when she fucks him over.

• Applause 3
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Given that, why would they (Harry and Meghan) think moving to a less secure environment would be better? There are plenty of issues and questions on all sides that haven't been shared with the public., but for most people, would it be better to stay in the secure environment and presumably have to be "working royals" or to step down from those roles and move somewhere where you have to pay out of pocket for that level of protection?  Maybe there was something in between? I doubt that anyone involved is all-good or all-bad, like most of us and our families. H & M aren't doing themselves many favors by the kind of content they are producing, in my opinion, because they know that the rest of their family (other than Meghan's relatives) are not going to respond directly, and it does seem to people that they continue to complain, which gets old for most readers. TBH, even Diana got to be a bit tiresome when she was alive. If she hadn't died, she might have ended up being more like Princess Margaret than she would like. 

The call was coming from inside the house. They had to move. Staying there was definitely not safer. 

• Applause 6
5 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Of course it was possible, didn't want to more like which is fair enough, they just didn't want to be working royals which is also fine.

I think they left because they, or at least Markle, didn't want to endure awful people, not because they didn't want to work?

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I think they left because they, or at least Markle, didn't want to endure awful people, not because they didn't want to work?

I didn't say they didn't want to work, I said they didn't want to be working royals, or at least she didn't, and  both of those statements are not the same thing.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Not possible? Of course it was possible, didn't want to more like which is fair enough, they just didn't want to be working royals which is also fine. But yeah okay moving to a more racist & dangerous (guns etc) country is the way to go, that's why they have to sell their soul to Oprah to pay for the security. No doubt there are some very racist people in & around the royal family but implying it was more dangerous than a country where there are more guns than people is just nonsensical.

It's the only world he has known for 35 odd years and she just wants to be the center of attention which she wouldn't have been in the UK as he slides down the royal list, gawd help him when she fucks him over.

not a fan, huh?

if they felt threatened, why shouldn't they move?

i agree on the gun issue but don't know if the us is more racist or about the same

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Oneofem said:

His late granduncle, Ed Vlll, never truly adjusted to nonroyal life, even while living it up with Wallis.  .

I take your point, but in the end, I think they're very different couples - Edward gave up being King, Harry gave up being the spare (and in the system he believes contributed to the emotional alienation and death of his mother). As well, Edward and Wallis frittered away their lives; unlike Harry and Meghan, they had no drive to do good in the world, no children to love, and unsavoury political leanings (Nazism). They were a couple without family, children, or valuable work to be done together. A lifetime of cocktails and gossip and golf.

@Welshman in Ca I take Meghan & Harry at their word that remaining in that institution was not a safe option for them - and given that Diana was also driven to the brink of suicide while living within the same institution, I did not find Meghan's despair, or the danger it posed to her life, at all hard to accept. 

I wonder if either M & H will eventually turn up on The View, to promote any of their current projects? (It would have to be on a non-Ana day ; )

Edited by film noire
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, film noire said:

I take your point, but in the end, I think they're very different couples - Edward gave up being King, Harry gave up being the spare (and in the system he believes contributed to the emotional alienation and death of his mother). As well, Edward and Wallis frittered away their lives; unlike Harry and Meghan, they had no drive to do good in the world, no children to love, and unsavoury political leanings (Nazism). They were a couple without family, children, or valuable work to be done together. A lifetime of cocktails and gossip and golf.

I wonder if a person who has grown up as part of the Royal Family doesn't have the wherewithal to pivot easily to a new lifestyle. If you've had your life and work planned out for you from birth, even if you aren't destined to be King or Queen, you possibly haven't had to develop the kind of skills and experience that would help you adapt to another way of life. Your expectations of life after being "royal" might not be very realistic, either, since you haven't had to do without the kinds of things that royal life entails, like constant security, and people automatically treating you as special. Giving all that up, even if you don't become a "regular person" must be difficult. 

• Like 1