Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

SophiaD
  • Start Topic

(edited)
21 minutes ago, Frisky Wig said:

I’m really curious about Aly being a Martha apologist. Do you have any links?

Maybe apologist is the wrong word, but in interviews it doesn't seem like Aly blames Martha like she blames USAGym/Rhonda/Penny/USOC. I remember watching the Dateline special that aired a couple years ago and was really surprised that Aly didn't go after Martha when Savannah Guthrie gave her multiple opportunities too. I remember the same thing happened in the gymcastic interview she did with her mom. It's been a couple years since I've watched/listen, but I remember it sticking out to me at the time. I also remember her speaking very highly of Martha in her book. 

Edited by choclatechip45
5 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

Maybe apologist is the wrong word, but in interviews it doesn't seem like Aly blames Martha like she blames USAGym/Rhonda/Penny/USOC. I remember watching the Dateline special that aired a couple years ago and was really surprised that Aly didn't go after Martha when Savannah Guthrie gave her multiple opportunities too. I remember the same thing happened in the gymcastic interview she did with her mom. It's been a couple years since I've watched/listen, but I remember it sticking out to me at the time. I also remember her speaking very highly of Martha in her book. 

I read the book and Aly didn't apologize for Marta. She said the Ranch sucked and the food was cheap and stuff. But Aly doesn't seem to blame Marta for the abuse. I think Marta really liked Aly so many Marta was different around Aly.

• Useful 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I read the book and Aly didn't apologize for Marta. She said the Ranch sucked and the food was cheap and stuff. But Aly doesn't seem to blame Marta for the abuse. I think Marta really liked Aly so many Marta was different around Aly.

Martha clearly always liked Nastia and Aly (and others like Gabby pops into my mind) which might be why they don't blame Martha. Aly has been outspoken about the ranch being shitty but she always blamed USA Gym/Penny/Blackmun and the USOC that they shouldn't have had them train there while you have other survivors who outright blame Martha for the abuse.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Useful 1

There has been a massive decreased in the number of men's gymnastics programs, especially at the collegiate level. Around 200 colleges have dropped men's gymnastics since the 1970s, leaving under 20 schools with active men's programs.

It's a sport that has fallen out of favor for US men. 

• Useful 3

Omg can we just appreciate gymnasts for who they are and not how their relationship with Simone is? If I have to hear one more time how Simone encouraged this gymnast and is buddies with that gymnast I'll scream. That's great but I want to hear more about routines -- the skills, execution, etc.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

Mykayla Skinner is apparently killing it.  Not that I would know from watching NBC's coverage.  

Yeah we got to see her beam.

But we also got lots of footage of Simone applying bronzer. Which ... idgi. Surely Simone has to find the livestream annoying by now. 

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Omg can we just appreciate gymnasts for who they are and not how their relationship with Simone is? If I have to hear one more time how Simone encouraged this gymnast and is buddies with that gymnast I'll scream. That's great but I want to hear more about routines -- the skills, execution, etc.

Hey, SOMEBODY has to be the new Michael Phelps!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
54 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Yeah we got to see her beam.

But we also got lots of footage of Simone applying bronzer. Which ... idgi. Surely Simone has to find the livestream annoying by now. 

She already complained about it during Nationals. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Frisky Wig said:

I’m really curious about Aly being a Martha apologist. Do you have any links?

I don't think Aly Rasiman is any kind of Martha apologist.  I think Nastia might be.

LOVE Simone.  She is the greatest.  Thus said: enough with the "watch her get her ankles taped" cam.  At this point, I wonder if it's going to get its own web series.

Lovely work by everyone tonight- but my heart lies with Grace McCallum.  I want her to go to the olympics so badly.

• Love 6
(edited)
9 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Lovely work by everyone tonight- but my heart lies with Grace McCallum.  I want her to go to the olympics so badly.

Same! I thought I was going to cry when she almost fell on beam. That was a super save though!

Morgan Hurd’s Instagram story right now is her posting nice things about everyone’s routines. It’s very sweet. I wish she was competing with them tonight.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 11

Morgan is pure class.  I'm so sad she is missing her Olympic dream.

Thanks for the warning about the Simone show, y'all.  I really like her, but between the commercials and the commentary, I am going to have to pace myself.

• Love 8

I was talking about gymnastics nomenclature to my friend who was watching with me (specifically wondering why wolf turns and sheep jumps are named that) and telling him how popular wolf turns were because they're scored so highly. So we started howling like wolves every time a gymnast executed one and absolutely cracking ourselves UP. Arooooo!!!!!

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

I was talking about gymnastics nomenclature to my friend who was watching with me (specifically wondering why wolf turns and sheep jumps are named that) and telling him how popular wolf turns were because they're scored so highly. So we started howling like wolves every time a gymnast executed one and absolutely cracking ourselves UP. Arooooo!!!!!

All of the floor routines for the NC State gymnastics team start with a wolf howl. It cracks me up. Thankfully, they don’t all do a Wolf turn!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I don't think Aly Rasiman is any kind of Martha apologist.  I think Nastia might be.

LOVE Simone.  She is the greatest.  Thus said: enough with the "watch her get her ankles taped" cam.  At this point, I wonder if it's going to get its own web series.

Sometimes I think Simone thinks "if I bore them enough with my makeup/ankle tape routine, they'll stop following me." 

Ironically, the men get much better coverage because there's no livestream following any one athlete. 

• Love 5

I don't mind Nastia's commentary.  She's a lot better than Kathy Johnson Clarke was. Even Tim seemed better tonight.  He really dialed it down.  He tends to get overwrought during the men's competition.  

This was a great competition, honestly.  We got to see a lot of the routines - much more than Nationals - and I'm really happy for Suni Lee, who I've always liked.  

At this point, it seems like the contest for the fourth spot appears to be between McKayla Skinner and Grace McCallum, but, of course, anything can happen tomorrow.  It's going to be so tough for the person who doesn't get to go.  :(

I don't know who would get the second individual spot.  I thought Riley did a great job on bars (and what a treat to see her looking so happy), but it looks as if she's only doing one event.  

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Found this on the internets

Event
Balance beam

Skill type
Turn

Known as
Wolf turn
Tuck turn
Cossack turn
Abomination
Hellish nonsense
Demon work

About
Currently the most loathed skill in all of gymnastics, the wolf turn is an uncertain- and inelegant-looking, fragile and wobbly garbage fire even in the best of circumstances, though gymnasts at this level tend to be able to pull off the single turn without being too much of an abomination. The real trouble comes when an extra turn (or more) is added.

Because the only point of the wolf turn is as a cynical tenth-grabber when performed as a double or more, you don’t see many people doing the single turn these days. You don’t rob a bank and then just take some ones.

You’ll also hear the wolf turn called the Cossack turn, but it seems somehow…racist? I know it’s not racist, but it feels racist.

Edited by qtpye
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2

Mikayla did really great! So did Grace. I wish there were more then four spots. They'd both do great on the team.

Watching Jade's routines I kind of wondered or maybe wished they were a FU to USAGymnastics. If they hadn't messed up she easily could have made the team. Its probably neither but it was fun to think about. I'm glad she's still going. Simone, Suni and Jordan are definitely going. That leaves one team and one individual.  Riley would make a great one for Uneven Bars. But that means only one spot left for Grace or Mikayla. I really like Kara too. There's too many great options.

I wish we got to see Morgan compete. I'm glad to see Laurie back and she did a great job as commentary. 

Please USAGym do not put Sam on the team. Please don't. He'll mess up. He always does.

I like Brody, Yul, and Shane. I can't wait to see the second night of both. 

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, Jeddah said:

All of the floor routines for the NC State gymnastics team start with a wolf howl. It cracks me up. Thankfully, they don’t all do a Wolf turn!

I hope someone has told Terry Gannon (NC State alum) about that, that’s great 

Edited by ML89

Jade hurt her ankle so I think that is part of the reason they decided not to go for the team no reason for her to get more injured especially when she has a spot locked up.

If NBC wanted Simone to commentate for them they really screwed themselves with Al Trautwigs comments during the 2016 Olympics.  

Sometimes I like Nastia as a commentator when she actually explains stuff which is rare which makes me wonder if it is NBC who does not want her to do that. To be honest I was always surprised they chose Nastia but she does have that gold medal NBC loves. Nastia and Laurie share the same agent so it would be funny if Laurie ended up replacing Nastia. 

1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

Watching Jade's routines I kind of wondered or maybe wished they were a FU to USAGymnastics. If they hadn't messed up she easily could have made the team. Its probably neither but it was fun to think about. I'm glad she's still going. Simone, Suni and Jordan are definitely going. That leaves one team and one individual.  Riley would make a great one for Uneven Bars. But that means only one spot left for Grace or Mikayla. I really like Kara too. There's too many great options.

I wish we got to see Morgan compete. I'm glad to see Laurie back and she did a great job as commentary. 

I was missing Morgan on floor last night. She was a gorgeous dancer.

Riley would be good for bars but--as much as I hate to say this, I love her work--she is heady. (And honestly who can blame her, with that psycho coach of hers.) But that second individual spot is up for grabs. Grace or Kara could take it for beam.

Mikayla is looking good for the fourth spot. She has really cleaned up her form. I thought she looked great last night.

Someone upthread was talking about Nastia's IG and how she poses a lot in glamor girl dresses. I am an old and don't do the IG but I was thinking about that, watching her last night. She used to appear on camera (for commentary) in a polo--nice, casual but appropriately so (she's in a work environment but it's a sports work environment). I remember thinking how cute and appropriate she looked. But at Nationals and again last night, when the cameras did the "let's meet the commentators" bit and we saw them all on camera, she was in this elaborate, off-the-shoulder, drape-y glamor girl dress. It honestly looks really weird for a sports event. I can't imagine a woman covering the Super Bowl dressed like that. Nastia, I say this with love--go back to the polos. They're work-appropriate and you rocked them. The drape-y look-at-me dresses just take me out of the moment.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Someone upthread was talking about Nastia's IG and how she poses a lot in glamor girl dresses. I am an old and don't do the IG but I was thinking about that, watching her last night. She used to appear on camera (for commentary) in a polo--nice, casual but appropriately so (she's in a work environment but it's a sports work environment). I remember thinking how cute and appropriate she looked. But at Nationals and again last night, when the cameras did the "let's meet the commentators" bit and we saw them all on camera, she was in this elaborate, off-the-shoulder, drape-y glamor girl dress. It honestly looks really weird for a sports event. I can't imagine a woman covering the Super Bowl dressed like that. Nastia, I say this with love--go back to the polos. They're work-appropriate and you rocked them. The drape-y look-at-me dresses just take me out of the moment.

Omg yes I remember the cute Nastia polos.

oly16_gym_trials_webpop_160708_1.jpg

Looks really different from the DWTS dresses she favors nowadays:

Nastia-Liukin-Feet-5834755.jpg

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Riley would be good for bars but--as much as I hate to say this, I love her work--she is heady. (And honestly who can blame her, with that psycho coach of hers.) But that second individual spot is up for grabs. Grace or Kara could take it for beam.

Mikayla is looking good for the fourth spot. She has really cleaned up her form. I thought she looked great last night.

Excellent points. I completely agree. She looked gorgeous but her look was a more appropriate for an awards ceremony, not commentating on a sporting event. 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Omg yes I remember the cute Nastia polos.

oly16_gym_trials_webpop_160708_1.jpg

Looks really different from the DWTS dresses she favors nowadays:

Nastia-Liukin-Feet-5834755.jpg

Great pull, Lady W. Yes, that's exactly what I meant. In the above photo, she looks like an athlete commenting on fellow athletes. In the bottom, she looks like she desperately wants to be noticed. It's just a very weird look.

• Love 4

There's a lot of middle ground between polo shirts and red carpet dresses.  She's overdressed - Nastia looks like she dropped by on her way to a movie premiere. 

Although, looking at the picture again, I think it's the among of leg she's showing. If her skirt was knee length without the slit, it would look fine. 

• Love 6

It’s a floor length, long sleeved, turtle neck dress so I think a one-leg slit is fine personally.

The men are more dressed up too so I’m just confused about why only Nastia is getting criticism.

I don’t really give a shit what they wear. They only get shown for like less than 5 minutes total anyway. 

The dress is hideous though lol. 

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

There's a lot of middle ground between polo shirts and red carpet dresses.  She's overdressed - Nastia looks like she dropped by on her way to a movie premiere. 

Although, looking at the picture again, I think it's the among of leg she's showing. If her skirt was knee length without the slit, it would look fine. 

I think it's the off-the-shoulder prom look that's a bit disconcerting.

nastialiukin_1624674533_2604281197430728179_1121097.jpg

13 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

The men are more dressed up too so I’m just confused about why only Nastia is getting criticism.

Tim and Terry look like they're going to a nice brunch with their wives.  Nastia looks like she's going to the Met Gala.  Floor length gown with a thigh-high slit and 4 inch stilettos.  There is an obvious difference that's just weird.  She dressed like this at the National Championships as well.  The thing I can't tear my eyes from, however, is her knees.  I know she's "slim and toned" but damn, her knees just look grotesque, you see nothing but bones.

Mike Tirico and Andrea Joyce both looked more professionally dressed.  NBC usually has their sports commentators in some kind of NBC-branded uniform (like the polos), but maybe they're waiting for the Olympics to introduce them.

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

It’s a floor length, long sleeved, turtle neck dress so I think a one-leg slit is fine personally.

I don’t really give a shit what they wear. They only get shown for like less than 5 minutes total anyway. 

The dress is hideous though lol. 

Nastia is very dressed up. I've never seen a woman sports journalist dressed up like that whereas I have seen men sports journalists in sports jackets. But for both I greatly prefer the polos. The polo look is clean, it's professional-looking, it's the middle ground between sloppy and too dressed up.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

She’s dressing up like Tara and Johnny do for figure skating.

• Love 10

The thing with Tara and Johnny's wild looks is that they complement each other, Nastia is totally overdressed compared to all of the other commentators. I mean, you do you, girl, but it looks weird to me. The overly orange bronzer and crazy amounts of forehead botox isn't helping, either. But if she's happy with how she looks, that's all that matters. 

Leslie Jones (of SNL fame) is a huge Olympics fan and she has been live tweeting all of the trials. She is hilarious. 

• Love 4

It really sucks that there are only four spots and not five. I personally like the bigger teams. 

I find myself rooting for Mykayla Skinner mostly because I follow her YouTube videos and I really like them. It’s like with Chellsie Memmel…you just can’t help but get invested in an athlete when you follow their journey specifically. I know a LOT of people don’t like her and are just looking for her to say or do anything they can immediately criticize but there’s just something about her absolute refusal to give up that I admire. It feels like so many people want her to say “My form OBVIOUSLY sucks and I have NO business being here, why do I even show my face in public in a gymnastic setting.” But she just won’t. As someone who always suffered from “imposter syndrome” when I didn’t need to, I really really envy and admire her ability to stay out of her own head and just do her best. And let’s face it, she is a LOT better than so many are willing to give her credit for.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Ok I actually find a lot of female gymnasts way overly made up and tbh it's a little weird. Like I love Simone Biles and think she's awesome. I also think she looks better without the 50 pounds of eyeshadow she wears.

KDKF4N42AZHZ3ONVKB6TYEFHGA.jpg

There's a reason for the heavy makeup. It's so people in the nosebleed sections can make out her facial expressions more easily during the floor exercise. Professional dancers do the same thing, and for the same reason. What looks over-the-top on TV where we can see close-up doesn't look that way at all for the spectators attending a live competition or performance where they can't.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
39 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

It really sucks that there are only four spots and not five. I personally like the bigger teams. 

I find myself rooting for Mykayla Skinner mostly because I follow her YouTube videos and I really like them. It’s like with Chellsie Memmel…you just can’t help but get invested in an athlete when you follow their journey specifically. I know a LOT of people don’t like her and are just looking for her to say or do anything they can immediately criticize but there’s just something about her absolute refusal to give up that I admire. It feels like so many people want her to say “My form OBVIOUSLY sucks and I have NO business being here, why do I even show my face in public in a gymnastic setting.” But she just won’t. As someone who always suffered from “imposter syndrome” when I didn’t need to, I really really envy and admire her ability to stay out of her own head and just do her best. And let’s face it, she is a LOT better than so many are willing to give her credit for.

I agree completely. I love Mikayla's crazy difficulty and I think her form has cleaned way up.

2 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Apparently last night Simone told Nastia that she looked like a mermaid. Nastia said that made her night. 

Aw!!!! That is adorable. What a sweet comment.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

Is MyKayla still racist or has she learned? I still remember hating on her pre-Rio because of her borderline racist tweets when she didn't make the team.

I mean, didn't her teammates just vote for her for a sportsmanship award at Nationals? You can tell from her videos that the other girls seem to like her and she seems Ike she is having a great time and supporting everyone else. It seems like growth to me.

• Love 3