Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

SophiaD
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

While the US men do have massive trouble in international competitions, I have to give them props for nationals.  There may have been lots of errors and some scary falls, but by god, they were sticking the landings.

They do fine against themselves, true, but they fall apart in almost every international competition. Similar to the US Men's soccer team. In both sports, the ladies rule.

• Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, irisheyes said:

You’re asking a lot of Tim and Nastia. But, they’ve got Terry Gannon now, so maybe he can tone them down. 

TG has been handling figure skating respectfully, appreciatively, and immaculately with near perfect pronunciation for a few decades now.   He is a blessing to have on gymnastics now.

Edited by Harry24
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16
On 6/7/2021 at 1:24 AM, andromeda331 said:

My pick would be Simone, Jordan, Suni and Jade. Maybe Riley and Grace for individual.

Jade is going to take the individual spot because if she had taken a team spot, the US would’ve lost her individual spot and only five would be able to go. So Jade won’t be on the four person team. 

18 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

He'll be better than the odious Al Trautwig.

18 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Excuse me, here on these boards he is better known as Shut Up Al.

Shhhh, if we say his name too much NBC will think he's popular and let him return.

• LOL 5

Can someone please explain the appeal of the Simone Uber Eats commercial to me?  I love her Visa commercial and whatever the one is about gravity.

The McKayla Maroney one is pretty awesome, too.  Great to see her making buck out of "not being impressed."

I can't quite see US Gymnastics giving Jade one of the four team spots, unless she completely blows the field away at the trials.  Such an odd way of choosing a team.  I'm glad it's going away.

33 minutes ago, SophiaD said:

Can someone please explain the appeal of the Simone Uber Eats commercial to me?  I love her Visa commercial and whatever the one is about gravity.

The McKayla Maroney one is pretty awesome, too.  Great to see her making buck out of "not being impressed."

I can't quite see US Gymnastics giving Jade one of the four team spots, unless she completely blows the field away at the trials.  Such an odd way of choosing a team.  I'm glad it's going away.

Yes, I was so excited to see Maroney again! I literally waved at the TV, saying "Hi, Mack! We love you!"

I love the UberEats commercials because they feature Jonathan Van Ness who made me howl with his Gay of Thrones series. SO effing hilarious. And I think Simone's funny in the ads as well.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

I love the UberEats commercials because they feature Jonathan Van Ness who made me howl with his Gay of Thrones series. SO effing hilarious. And I think Simone's funny in the ads as well.

Ah, that explains it.  They definitely are funny, but since I've never heard of him or of the Gay of Thrones series, it just seemed those Simone was trading quips with some random dude. 

I may be the wrong demographic.  Thanks!

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

I love the one where Simone asks "splitsies?" and Johnathan excitedly slides down into splits on the beam in front of her. The look on Simone's face when Johnathan says "oh, you meant the food" cracks me up.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, SophiaD said:

Jade announced that she plans on accepting the individual spot.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Gay of Thrones was the best!

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/18/2021 at 6:46 PM, Lady Whistleup said:

Ok one thing: is it too much to hope that the NBC team this Olympics won't be ridiculously racist towards the Chinese gymnasts? In a normal year they regularly botch the gymnasts' names, take pot shots about them being underage, and put down their routines in a rude, microaggressive way. In a pandemic year this kind of casual racism will be SO bad. Omg.

The really annoying thing about their names being pronounced incorrectly is (1) if you can take the time to learn how to pronounce all of those multisyllabic Russian and Romanian names, then surely you can learn how to pronounce names that are one syllable for the first name and one syllable for the last name and often have only three letters (2) at the maximum team size, there were still only seven people on each team so it's not like they were trying to memorize an obscene amount of names. Would it be THAT difficult to ask someone how to pronounce each name and then write it down phonetically? But of course passive aggressive racism is par for the course so I expect nothing less. Hopefully Terry Gannon's presence will help keep a lid on that kind of shit.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The really annoying thing about their names being pronounced incorrectly is (1) if you can take the time to learn how to pronounce all of those multisyllabic Russian and Romanian names, then surely you can learn how two pronounce names that are one syllable for the first name and one syllable for the last name and often have only three letters (2) at the maximum team size, there were still only seven people on each team so it's not like they were trying to memorize an obscene amount of names. Would it be THAT difficult to ask someone how to pronounce each name and then write it down phonetically? But of course passive aggressive racism is par for the course so I expect nothing less. Hopefully Terry Gannon's presence will help keep a lid on that kind of shit.

Some examples of microaggressive, racist commentating:

Only criticizing her gorgeous beam set. Mispronouncing her last name with the incorrect A pronunciation. 

Yang Yilin was actually one of my favorite gymnasts that quad. I would have given her the gold in UB over both He Kexin and Nastia.

• Love 2
On 6/18/2021 at 9:46 PM, Lady Whistleup said:

Ok one thing: is it too much to hope that the NBC team this Olympics won't be ridiculously racist towards the Chinese gymnasts? In a normal year they regularly botch the gymnasts' names, take pot shots about them being underage, and put down their routines in a rude, microaggressive way. In a pandemic year this kind of casual racism will be SO bad. Omg.

I mentioned it up thread, but it makes me so angry whenever Tim Daggett jokes that China’s going to want Morgan Hurd back. He’s said it more than once. It’s racist and so insensitive towards adoptees.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Jeddah said:

I mentioned it up thread, but it makes me so angry whenever Tim Daggett jokes that China’s going to want Morgan Hurd back. He’s said it more than once. It’s racist and so insensitive towards adoptees.

Also I hated the "they're still growing teeth!" jokes. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Jeddah said:

What I really don't understand is why NBC thinks they need Tim Daggett for gymnastics commentary. The man is almost 60 years old and retired over 30 years ago. There must be one other male gymnast who is capable of replacing him. It's not like his commentary is very useful or insightful. At least Nastia provides some technical critiques.

If we absolutely positively MUST have a male gymnast from the 1984 Olympic team to provide commentary for every televised gymnastics meet, can we swap Tim for Bart Conner?

• Love 8
(edited)
11 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

What I really don't understand is why NBC thinks they need Tim Daggett for gymnastics commentary. The man is almost 60 years old and retired over 30 years ago. There must be one other male gymnast who is capable of replacing him. It's not like his commentary is very useful or insightful. At least Nastia provides some technical critiques.

If we absolutely positively MUST have a male gymnast from the 1984 Olympic team to provide commentary for every televised gymnastics meet, can we swap Tim for Bart Conner?

It's because Tim has a gold medal. The only person I can see them replacing Tim with is Sam Mikulak once he retires after Tokyo. I wish they would hire Bart, but he's been with ABC/ESPN since they had the Olympics in 88.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 2
Just now, choclatechip45 said:

It's because Tim has a gold medal. The only person I can see them replacing Tim with is Sam Mikulak once he retires. I wish they would hire Bart, but he's been with ABC/ESPN since they had the Olympics in 88.

But his gold medal is for the team event so it's not any better than anyone else who was on the team with him. His individual medal was a bronze for pommel horse. Bart's individual medal was gold for parallel bars. Mitch Gaylord got a silver on vault and a bronze on rings and parallel bars so he's got more medals than Tim. Or let's bring James Hartung or Scott Johnson if NBC is so hung up on having a male gymnast from the 1984 team. Honestly, I don't understand why we need some old guys who competed in the Olympics almost 40 years ago as commentators.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

But his gold medal is for the team event so it's not any better than anyone else who was on the team with him. His individual medal was a bronze for pommel horse. Bart's individual medal was gold for parallel bars. Mitch Gaylord got a silver on vault and a bronze on rings and parallel bars so he's got more medals than Tim. Or let's bring James Hartung or Scott Johnson if NBC is so hung up on having a male gymnast from the 1984 team. Honestly, I don't understand why we need some old guys who competed in the Olympics almost 40 years ago as commentators.

I was somewhat kidding about the gold medal thing.

From interviews Tim got the NBC job because he wanted to be a broadcaster after he failed to make the '88 team moved to NYC and cold called an agency and they were impressed that he was in the Olympics and his agent got him the job. I believe he is still with that agent. 

• Love 1

John Roethlisberger comments on the college events and he is a million times better than Tim.  I wish they would give him a try.  I would VASTLY prefer him over Tim, who rambles, interrupts or talks over Nastia, who generally has good things to say.

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, SophiaD said:

John Roethlisberger comments on the college events and he is a million times better than Tim.  I wish they would give him a try.  I would VASTLY prefer him over Tim, who rambles, interrupts or talks over Nastia, who generally has good things to say.

I wish they'd get Shannon Miller who has done commentary for the NBCSN feed. Miller is extremely fair and she praises gymnasts from around the world, not just team USA.

The other NBC thing that drives me nuts is how they kept calling Aliya Mustafina a "diva." Aliya could be sitting alone, quietly taping her ankles, and they'd be going on about her "attitude." Meanwhile I remember the last rotation of the Rio AA Simone went up for beam and Aliya was standing there giving Simone a standing ovation. What a bitch.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Who was the team that were on NBC's live feed of gymnastics in Rio?  Everybody said they were much better than the broadcast crew. 

Courtney Kupets and Jonathan Horton.

Courtney is now the head coach at UGA Gymnastics and Horton blasted Simone on twitter about her women only tour.

Bridget Sloan announced she will be working for NBC during Tokyo. 

On 6/8/2021 at 5:17 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

At the 2012 Olympics, there were 5 team members but only 4 gymnasts competed in each event and all four scores were counted toward the team points. Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman, and Jordyn Wieber competed in all four events. Kyla Ross competed in 3 events. McKayla Maroney competed in only 1 event.

Small correction: in 2012, four gymnasts competed in qualifications, and all four scores counted towards qualifying for and placement in team finals.  Gabby, Jordyn, and Aly all competed in all four events there, which infamously led to Jordyn finishing fourth overall but getting two-per-countried by Aly and Gabby (of course, Rio was even worse in this regard since Gabby finished third overall in qualifications and got two-per-countried by Simone and Aly).  Kyla performed bars, beam, and floor, while McKayla performed vault.

In team finals, only three gymnasts performed on each apparatus, and all three scores counted (the same format for Rio).  Gabby did all four; Jordyn did vault, bars, and floor; Aly did beam and floor; Kyla did bars and beam; and McKayla did vault.  I've watched the 2012 team finals so many times that I practically know it by heart.

On 6/20/2021 at 11:52 AM, Lady Whistleup said:

Only criticizing her gorgeous beam set.

I've also watched this all-around a billion times, and I think Yang was pretty heavily over-scored on this routine.

I'd be more critical of the snark about how young the Chinese women's gymnasts in Beijing looked, except China completely, totally, fully, blatantly cheated and falsified the ages of at least Deng Linlin and He Kexin.  Now, this isn't the fault of the gymnasts, and I don't think it was appropriate to direct snide comments at young girls since they had zero real agency in all of it; however, China did cheat, and the gymnasts benefited from that cheating.

What did make me call bullshit, though, was Bela fucking Karolyi whining about the age falsifications; like, asshole, you and your friends in the former Soviet Union invented that shit, so have a hundred seats with your hypocritical bellyaching, 'kay?

• Love 12
1 hour ago, NUguy514 said:

What did make me call bullshit, though, was Bela fucking Karolyi whining about the age falsifications; like, asshole, you and your friends in the former Soviet Union invented that shit, so have a hundred seats with your hypocritical bellyaching, 'kay?

Bela called them "half people." Ugh, the Bela and Marta worship on NBC has aged like milk. Why did they ever love these two assholes so much?

• Love 7

How to watch the trials, from the NBC Olympics website:

The U.S. Olympic Gymnastics Trials kick off Thursday in St. Louis and NBC has your viewing needs covered from the first routine through the naming of the men's and women's Olympic teams. 

In addition to comprehensive LIVE television coverage (details below), NBCOlympics.com and the NBC Sports app will offer simul-streams of all TV programming and a supplemental stream for each competition session, featuring a multi-view of all apparatuses in use (two per rotation for women, three for men). Select TV simul-streams will be available on Peacock as well.

Thursday: The men get things started, with TV coverage on NBCSN from 6:30-9 p.m. ET (live to all time zones). A simul-stream of NBCSN will be available on Peacock, NBCOlympics.com and in the NBC Sports app. 

Friday: For Day 1 of the women's event, Olympic Channel will televise the first 30 minutes from 7:30-8 p.m. ET (live to all time zones), then NBC will pick up coverage from 8-10 p.m. ET/PT. Over on NBCOlympics.com and in the NBC Sports app, full coverage streams from 7:30-10 p.m. ET (live to all time zones). 

Saturday: TV coverage of the final day of men's competition will begin on Olympic Channel from 3-4 p.m. ET (live to all time zones), then continue on NBC from 4-6 p.m. ET (live to all time zones). Full streaming coverage will be available on NBCOlympics.com and in the NBC Sports App, with Peacock also offering a simul-stream of Olympic Channel's coverage. 

Sunday: The women's competition concludes with TV coverage on Olympic Channel from 8-8:30 p.m. ET (live to all time zones) and NBC from 8:30-11 p.m. ET/PT. A simul-stream with the Olympic Channel and NBC coverage will be available on NBCOlympics.com and in the NBC Sports app from 8-11 p.m. ET (live to all time zones). 

• Useful 8
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 6/18/2021 at 9:46 PM, Lady Whistleup said:

I disagree that it's racist.  

1) Announcers have been botching gymnasts' names since Nadia COH-MAH-NETCH-EE, COH-MAH-NEETCH, COH-MAH-NESS-EE.

2)  The underage drama WAS a genuine controversy as there were multiple reports in both the US and British media about a gymnast submitting multiple birthdates for various events.  Nobody talks about it anymore since the Chinese women stopped winning. 

3) Critical examination of routines is NOT rude and microagressive.

4) The Chinese pair skaters this year have been treated with the utmost respect and appreciation.  

Edited by AuntieDiane6
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

The underage drama WAS a genuine controversy as there were multiple reports in both the US and British media about a gymnast submitting multiple birthdates for various events.  Nobody talks about it anymore since the Chinese women stopped winning.

I know this was a big controversy during the 2008 Olympics. It’s been 13 years, and nobody has proven anything. It’s still speculation. If the IOC is going to take an American athlete’s passport as valid, it is racist to say a Chinese athlete’s passport isn’t valid. And even if it was true, the announcers shouldn’t be criticizing the supposedly 14 year olds competing under a huge amount of pressure. If the gymnasts were underage, the announcers should have criticized the powerful nation and sports federation that these supposedly 14 year olds were entirely dependent on, not the gymnasts. Jiang Yuyuan had a floor routine that was far more artistic than anything Alicia Sacramone or Shawn Johnson ever did, and what did Tim Daggett say about it? That it was like watching a little kid playing in the yard. That’s hella condescending.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Jeddah said:

I know this was a big controversy during the 2008 Olympics. It’s been 13 years, and nobody has proven anything. It’s still speculation. If the IOC is going to take an American athlete’s passport as valid, it is racist to say a Chinese athlete’s passport isn’t valid. And even if it was true, the announcers shouldn’t be criticizing the supposedly 14 year olds competing under a huge amount of pressure. If the gymnasts were underage, the announcers should have criticized the powerful nation and sports federation that these supposedly 14 year olds were entirely dependent on, not the gymnasts. Jiang Yuyuan had a floor routine that was far more artistic than anything Alicia Sacramone or Shawn Johnson ever did, and what did Tim Daggett say about it? That it was like watching a little kid playing in the yard. That’s hella condescending.

They DID take the Chinese passports as valid.  It was the other COUNTRIES' delegations who complained, noting the Chinese gymnasts who competed in youth competitions in their countries who suddenly aged 3 years in 18 months.  This is no different than other countries who complain about Tour de France competitors who fail drug tests.  Was it racist to grumble about Lance Armstrong? Floyd Landis?  Was it racist to complain that Tatiana Gutsu replaced Rosa Galiaeva in the 1992 Individual All-Around for the Russian  team after Rosa was allegedly "injured"?  

What did Tim Daggett say about it? That it was like watching a little kid playing in the yard. That’s hella condescending.

Commentators also said the exact same thing about Oksana Omelianchik's 1985 floor routine to the tweeting bird music.  

Edited by AuntieDiane6
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

2)  The underage drama WAS a genuine controversy as there were multiple reports in both the US and British media about a gymnast submitting multiple birthdates for various events.  Nobody talks about it anymore since the Chinese women stopped winning. 

And since it came out in 2010 that in fact the Chinese federation was not above cheating.

49 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

They DID take the Chinese passports as valid.  It was the other COUNTRIES' delegations who complained, noting the Chinese gymnasts who competed in youth competitions in their countries who suddenly aged 3 years in 18 months.  This is no different than other countries who complain about Tour de France competitors who fail drug tests.  Was it racist to grumble about Lance Armstrong? Floyd Landis?  Was it racist to complain that Tatiana Gutsu replaced Rosa Galiaeva in the 1992 Individual All-Around for the Russian  team after Rosa was allegedly "injured"?  

Commentators also said the exact same thing about Oksana Omelianchik's 1985 floor routine to the tweeting bird music.  

And they've said that multiple times about US gymnasts! It's one of Dagget's go-to compliments--so much so I believe that the writing team of Make It or Break It even recycled it for Emily Kmetko.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

I disagree that it's racist.  

1) Announcers have been botching gymnasts' names since Nadia COH-MAH-NETCH-EE, COH-MAH-NEETCH, COH-MAH-NESS-EE.

3) Critical examination of routines is NOT rude and microagressive.

4) The Chinese pair skaters this year have been treated with the utmost respect and appreciation.  

1) Deliberately not bothering to pronounce someone's name correctly is racist, condescending, and microaggressive. It's like "you are not worth knowing. Your name is not worth learning."

2) The underage drama was a genuine controversy. Letting Bela and Marta call them "half people" and make jokes about their teeth growing in was appalling. 

3) The tone in which Tim Daggett and Shut Up Al talks about the Chinese gymnasts has always been rude and condescending. I'm Asian and can sniff the racism a mile away. 

4) The figure skating team is a different crew and for all of Johnny and Tara's faults they are not racist at all.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

1) Deliberately not bothering to pronounce someone's name correctly is racist, condescending, and microaggressive. It's like "you are not worth knowing. Your name is not worth learning."

There was nothing deliberate.  Nobody outside Romania knew how to pronounce Comaneci at first.  And people admitted it on air.  It was a big deal during her first press conference when someone finally just asked her and she said Co-ma- NEETCH. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 minute ago, Quilt Fairy said:

There was nothing deliberate.  Nobody outside Romania knew how to pronounce Comaneci at first.  And people admitted it on air.  It was a big deal during her first press conference when someone finally just asked her and she said Co-ma- NEETCH. 

I'm talking about the way they routinely butcher Chinese and Korean gymnast names. That is racist and microaggressive. 

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

It also should be noted that Asian announcers frequently mispronounce European names as well. Go get the Chinese feed of the Beijing gymnastics competition for examples. So I guess we're even.

(PS--I'm part of an Asian-American family myself)

• Love 1
On 6/21/2021 at 11:23 AM, SophiaD said:

John Roethlisberger comments on the college events and he is a million times better than Tim.

He is good but I'll never forget his continual whining that the women gymnasts got so much more publicity than the men.  Yet, he is another one who couldn't stick a landing or perform clean in an international competition if his life depended on it.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 6/21/2021 at 8:15 PM, Lady Whistleup said:

Bela called them "half people." Ugh, the Bela and Marta worship on NBC has aged like milk. Why did they ever love these two assholes so much?

Mostly due to the medals like KittenPokerCheater said but part of it was also Bela’s exuberant personality, the big bear hugs he’d give his gymnasts and his ability to charm people into thinking he was a great coach. 

• Love 5

What pisses me off about Tim and Nastia is that they KNEW what was happening at the Karolyi ranch, and they talked about it like it was summer camp where the athletes trained during the day and then had campfires at night. They KNEW gymnasts were getting blackballed, but they chose to keep up the bright, cheery facade. Nastia’s own father has been accused of either abusing athletes or ignoring reports of abuse. It’s ridiculous that either of them get to continue in their jobs when they failed in their responsibilities to the sport. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

What pisses me off about Tim and Nastia is that they KNEW what was happening at the Karolyi ranch, and they talked about it like it was summer camp where the athletes trained during the day and then had campfires at night. They KNEW gymnasts were getting blackballed, but they chose to keep up the bright, cheery facade. Nastia’s own father has been accused of either abusing athletes or ignoring reports of abuse. It’s ridiculous that either of them get to continue in their jobs when they failed in their responsibilities to the sport. 

Nastia has always been a Marta apologist. She's also one of the most vapid people I ever followed on social media (I unfollowed her because after awhile endless photos of her trying on clothes just isn't interesting). 

Her commentary is annoying because she rarely has anything interesting to say.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, irisheyes said:

At first, I read this and wanted to defend her. When she was a competitive gymnast, she was just as much a victim of the Karolyi’s, USAG etc as every other athlete competing. Then I realized you were referring to all the time after she retired (in 2012), when she’s been commentating. I don’t know why she never spoke up. Maybe she was afraid it would negatively affect her dads job or his standing in the sport. Or she thought she wouldn’t be believed. It’s also possible she still has a “that’s just how champions are made. You either put up and shut up or quit. 🤷‍♀️“ mentality. She has stated that Nassar never abused her, which I believe is due to her fathers influence in the sport. 

51 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Nastia has always been a Marta apologist. She's also one of the most vapid people I ever followed on social media (I unfollowed her because after awhile endless photos of her trying on clothes just isn't interesting). 

I don’t follow her on SM but I checked out her IG and wow! Pic and pic after pic of her in some probably-expensive, perfectly tailored outfit, often in some exotic locale or luxurious room, showing off her thin-but-toned body, often with the camera angled in a way to remind us all that she has legs for days and days. Oh, and selling products. It looks self-centered. 

• Love 3
On 6/18/2021 at 11:20 PM, emma675 said:

They do fine against themselves, true, but they fall apart in almost every international competition. Similar to the US Men's soccer team. In both sports, the ladies rule.

Why do you think that is?  They can't handle the pressure?  Is it all mental with the guys?

The US women have been so dominant the last decade and I keep waiting for the US men to do something and they just never deliver.

• Love 4
(edited)
33 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

Why do you think that is?  They can't handle the pressure?  Is it all mental with the guys?

The US women have been so dominant the last decade and I keep waiting for the US men to do something and they just never deliver.

I honestly don't know. It never seems like the men are able to match or beat the skills gymnasts from other countries have. I don't know if it's a coaching problem or a mental issue or physical limitations or what, but they always seem to compete at a lower level than a lot of the countries they go up against. Or fall apart under the pressure.

Meanwhile the US ladies are flipping circles around their competitors most of the time. Pun intended, lol.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Frisky Wig said:

I don’t follow her on SM but I checked out her IG and wow! Pic and pic after pic of her in some probably-expensive, perfectly tailored outfit, often in some exotic locale or luxurious room, showing off her thin-but-toned body, often with the camera angled in a way to remind us all that she has legs for days and days. Oh, and selling products. It looks self-centered. 

The camera angle thing is honestly sort of sad. It makes me think she has severe body dysmorphic disorder because everyone can see that her pix are angled in a way to make her legs look longer.

I'd rather just remember her gymnastics and not follow her on SM. 

As for the US men they are very weak on certain rotations (pommel horse is one). Their best is usually only good enough for, say, bronze. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Deleted a rant, as the Olympic Trials are making me grouchy.  I hope Yul makes the team.  He was incredible on the rings just now.

Edited by SophiaD
  • Love 3
(edited)

After the 2016 Olympics they fired the Men's Gymnastic staff at the Olympic Training Center it was pretty embarrassing that the only gymnasts who medaled did not train at the Olympic Training Center. 

I'm not defending Valeri, but it's been said that the reason he was so popular among gymnasts on the National Team was that he told them he recognized his past ways were bad and learned from them. For whatever reason he wouldn't say it publicly.

The Chinese Gymnastic federation definitely cheated in 2008. The online evidence with the age changes are pretty convincing that doesn't excuse the blatant racism. If I was on the 2008 Olympic Gymnastic team I would be pretty pissed about the whole situation.

I'm not a huge a Nastia fan, but it wouldn't surprise me if she didn't know about the abuse going on. I don't think anyone besides Mattie Larson from that quad has come forward as a victim and that quad had a lot of parent coaches plus Sam Peszek's mom was a longtime PR person at USA Gymnastics. She also wasn't really around the ranch during her comeback I remember a lot of us fans criticizing her for it. 

I do think Nastia was the athlete rep in 2011 which brings up a whole host of other issues. Also for whatever reason Aly Raisman is the biggest Martha apologist. Which pains me because I have so much respect for Aly.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 4
(edited)
38 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

After the 2016 Olympics they fired the Men's Gymnastic staff at the Olympic Training Center it was pretty embarrassing that the only gymnasts who medaled did not train at the Olympic Training Center. 

USAG didn’t even put Danell on the team! He was an alternate, and then he goes and out-performs everyone and gets two medals. That Parallel bars medal should have been gold too! He was robbed. He won 3 out of the last 4 medals the US won in men’s gymnastics, and nobody in USAG ever appreciated him.

Speaking of Danell, I was watching Love, Victor and thought “Wow, that guy looks just like Danell Leyva.” Turns out it was him! He’s in it for about ten seconds.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

USAG didn’t even put Danell on the team! He was an alternate, and then he goes and out-performs everyone and gets two medals. That Parallel bars medal should have been gold too! He was robbed. He won 3 out of the last 4 medals the US won in men’s gymnastics, and nobody in USAG ever appreciated him.

Speaking of Danell, I was watching Love, Victor and thought “Wow, that guy looks just like Danell Leyva.” Turns out it was him! He’s in it for about ten seconds.

Aw! I'm glad Danell is finding some roles! I was so happy when he won his medals in '16.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

I'm not defending Valeri, but it's been said that the reason he was so popular among gymnasts on the National Team was that he told them he recognized his past ways were bad and learned from them. For whatever reason he wouldn't say it publicly.

The Chinese Gymnastic federation definitely cheated in 2008. The online evidence with the age changes are pretty convincing that doesn't excuse the blatant racism. If I was on the 2008 Olympic Gymnastic team I would be pretty pissed about the whole situation.

I'm not a huge a Nastia fan, but it wouldn't surprise me if she didn't know about the abuse going on. I don't think anyone besides Mattie Larson from that quad has come forward as a victim and that quad had a lot of parent coaches plus Sam Peszek's mom was a longtime PR person at USA Gymnastics. She also wasn't really around the ranch during her comeback I remember a lot of us fans criticizing her for it. 

I do think Nastia was the athlete rep in 2011 which brings up a whole host of other issues. Also for whatever reason Aly Raisman is the biggest Martha apologist. Which pains me because I have so much respect for Aly.

I’m really curious about Aly being a Martha apologist. Do you have any links?