Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Growth Opportunities

bros402
  • Start Topic

Shaun, Asher and Powell treat a young patient on Halloween who has a rare hereditary disease, sending them down an uncharted path; Glassman and Shaun must overcome their differences to work together to try and find a solution for Lim's paralysis.

• Love 2

Well, so much for my assumption last week that things were going well with Lim and that guy. Ouch. I did like Morgan helping Lim prep for her potential date, though, that was a nice scene between them. 

And on the topic of relationships, interesting reasoning Daniel used for why he's not ready to date Jordan. I can understand him wanting to focus on his sobriety, though I do wonder how long that's going to last, both with him specifically and in terms of keeping things platonic with Jordan. 

As for the cases, I had a feeling, when the brothers were all, "big bro/little bro" with each other, that something bad was going to happen. Didn't make the case any less heartbreaking, though. And the family drama around the whole situation with the little girl was interesting. I did like the moment at the beginning when Asher sang that song with her, that was cute :). 

We got a Maddie flashback! Interesting way to get Glassman to rethink his approach in trying to talk to Shaun. Clearly Shaun and Lim aren't at the point where they're able to properly talk out their issues and come to an understanding, so maybe for the time being having a mediator might help bridge that gap. 

• Love 4

I wish they'd shown why Shaun thought it was unfair that Lim rejected the surgery, because I didn't get it.

I also wish they'd shown more of Lim's process deciding to reject it. I was surprised that she just took the word of the intern whose name I still don't know.

• Like 2
  • Love 7

Asher and Powell suck balls at privacy.
Glassman is an ass. He's telling Shaun to apologize like a child till he actually listens to his ideas about the surgery. At this point, Shaun should have gone to Andrews.
I wonder why Glassman never fostered Shaun officially and had him live in his home. 
Damn the two brother talk - all the feels and i may have been sniffing pepper.  
I like the fact they used a decent reason that doctor hotness can't date that he's working on his sobriety and not some stupid reason.

• Like 2
  • Love 6

The brothers story made me tear up. I wish the show had gone the other way and shown Lim that a person in a wheelchair can find people to date; of course some people wouldn’t want someone in a wheelchair but why not show a positive portrayal? I still can’t stand Vet intern and she doesn’t know Lim’s exact situation. She isn’t paralyzed. Tired of Glassman yelling at Shaun; it seems like harassment at this point.

• Love 9

So  this  was  just  a  episode  that is just  yet another   example of  a  Prime  Time  show  that   promotes,   encourages,  excuses,  justifies,  rationalizes,  glorifies  and  Romanticizes   ADULTERY/INFIDELITY ...

How  sad,   pathetic , Cliche  and Unoriginal .

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

I wish they'd shown why Shaun thought it was unfair that Lim rejected the surgery, because I didn't get it.

My sense of it was this:

On a conscious, intellectual level, Shaun has not apologized to Lim because he did what he thought had to be done during the surgery. As far as he's concerned, there's nothing to apologize for; the paralysis was just an unforeseen but inevitable outcome.

However, on a subconscious, emotional level, he is sorry for what happened to his friend, and possibly even a little bit guilty. That has manifested in a singular obsession to reverse the paralysis (fix his mistake). Her refusing the surgery is her refusing his nonverbal apology (reversing the paralysis) and therefore not relieving his guilt. 

He's trying to fix the problem (his mistake) and she's not letting him and it's not fair. It is ultimately about his own comfort and he is acting out of his own selfish perspective.

• Like 1
  • Useful 7
  • Love 8

I’m unsure about Daniel right now.  I like to keep an open mind, but I’m wondering if it’s a good idea for a doctor who is in recovery for serious drug addiction to go into a specialty like surgery.  That specialty offers specific risks, if the doctor should be impaired by narcotics.  He could always stay clean before a surgery, but maybe he won’t. Relapse is common with addiction.   It may seem unfair, but I think it’s a poor choice.  There’s a drug addicted doctor on another hospital show I’m watching right now and it’s terrible.  They get skilled at avoiding detection and are placing unsuspecting patients at great risk.  

Lim’s date acted like it was a real date.  His response was odd, imo.  

Why not tell Shaun she was considering the surgery, but taking her time to decide.  Ask if there are any risks with waiting,  And, get a second opinion.  

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

Refresh my memory: who is Maddie?

Glassman's daughter. She died earlier in the series. She had a drug problem and Glassman kicked her out of the house and he still feels guilty about his tough love stance. It's unclear to me whether he was wrong in that case, but right or wrong her death is a lingering pain for him.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I see that they made sure to go all in with the Disney synergy at the beginning with all of the doctors being dressed as characters that just happen to be under the banner of the Mouse!  Did chuckle over Park being Wolverine since Will Yun Lee also played one of the baddies in The Wolverine film itself.  Of course, I noticed all of the costumes and make-up disappeared once the shit went down!  To be fair, it would have been hard watching a story about a dying girl if Asher was standing around dressed as Grogu/Yoda!  Or Lea/Glassman's confrontation would have felt just a little bit out of place if she was still dressed as Ahsoka Tano...

So, we finally discover Daniel's secret: he is a heroin addict who is now over five years sober, but he understandably is always cautious since a relapse is still a possibility (including almost having one six months ago but flushing the drugs before it was too late.)  So, between that and wanting to be a surgeon, he just doesn't think he's capable of having a relationship of any kind.  Makes sense, I guess, and I'm glad he came clean with Jordan about it (and she is understanding), but I suspect this isn't over.  Either a romance of some kind will still happen or a particular tragic case will led to him falling off the wagon.

At this point, Glassman's being more emotional and an even bigger jerk to Shaun.  At least Lim is being true to her word about being professional with him (if not friendly.)  But Glassman really is still coming off like he's just pissed Shaun dared to change things without his permission (even though that is something most surgeons do when perimeters suddenly change), and being all huffy about it.  I'm almost at the point where I'd think he'd still be mad if Lim's paralyzation didn't happen.  I do think Shaun does feel some form of guilt and that's why he got upset over her refusing his new idea.  Even if I suspect it will end up being proven to be the right call, he deep down does feel like he at the very least played a part in her situation.

Both of the cases were good and well acted by all of the guest performers.

Cool that Daniel Dae Kim himself directed this episode.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

I also wish they'd shown more of Lim's process deciding to reject it. I was surprised that she just took the word of the intern whose name I still don't know.

I’m with you. If I’d been Lim I would have told her “There’s a big difference between our cases. Even with a prosthetic leg YOU CAN STILL WALK.” This isn’t only about wanting her old life back. The non-ADA-compliant restaurant is just one example of various difficulties she’ll encounter that the intern does not. And then there was the difficulty we saw last episode with trying to get set up to operate.

7 hours ago, scruff said:

So  this  was  just  a  episode  that is just  yet another   example of  a  Prime  Time  show  that   promotes,   encourages,  excuses,  justifies,  rationalizes,  glorifies  and  Romanticizes   ADULTERY/INFIDELITY ...

How  sad,   pathetic , Cliche  and Unoriginal .

While it happened to be convenient that the bio dad was able to donate part of his liver, I certainly didn’t take it as glorifying infidelity. Quite the opposite. It pointed out how infidelity can be exposed, even years later, because of DNA testing.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, CarpeFelis said:

I’m with you. If I’d been Lim I would have told her “There’s a big difference between our cases. Even with a prosthetic leg YOU CAN STILL WALK.” This isn’t only about wanting her old life back. The non-ADA-compliant restaurant is just one example of various difficulties she’ll encounter that the intern does not. And then there was the difficulty we saw last episode with trying to get set up to operate.

This definitely was pissing me off as well. There is some relatability to dealing with a permanent change in your abilities, but their "AFTER" states were not comparable at all. It's like the difference between losing a hand and going blind.

• Love 5

Daniel also said that he had recently bought some heroin, but he didn’t use it.  Really?  That’s a really big deal, imo.  Apparently, he recognizes that he’s in a very vulnerable state and must focus fully on his sobriety.  I wonder if he works a program.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Lim’s date acted like it was a real date.  His response was odd, imo.  

It was odd. I would almost think he had somehow changed his mind and just used that as an excuse not to kiss her. He asks a woman to dinner, tells her how great she looks, of course she thinks it is a date. 

Glassman was a bit of an ass in this episode. So what if Shaun doesn't feel as guilty about it as Glassman thinks he should? Also, isn't it a thing that doctors aren't supposed to apologize for "mistakes" because it is admitting fault?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Glassman needs someone to set him straight.  What is his goal?  Making someone else feel a certain way is ridiculous.  It’s as crazy as telling a scared person, Don’t be scared.  Or, telling a crying person, Don’t cry!  What’s the point?  People don’t start or stop their feelings because someone demanded it.  I found that annoying and too contrived.  

And WHY can’t they let Shaun enjoy his little office space?  It’s bizarre that they can’t let it go.  

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

It was odd. I would almost think he had somehow changed his mind and just used that as an excuse not to kiss her. He asks a woman to dinner, tells her how great she looks, of course she thinks it is a date. 

It really didn't make sense, but that's a good explanation for it.  She's bound to run into him again, so we'll probably find out soon enough.

50 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

And WHY can’t they let Shaun enjoy his little office space?  It’s bizarre that they can’t let it go.  

They really, really don't like him in that office, do they?  Where did Sean work before?  Was he by himself? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, izabella said:

It really didn't make sense, but that's a good explanation for it.  She's bound to run into him again, so we'll probably find out soon enough.

They really, really don't like him in that office, do they?  Where did Sean work before?  Was he by himself? 

I am pretty sure before he worked in a room all the residents shared. We never saw him by himself. That's why the storyline is so dumb.

• Useful 3

Everyone in this show needs to go to therapy.

8 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I saw it more as a "give things time before you make a big decision" speech than a "yay accept being disabled" speech

Also, Lim should file a suit against that restaurant - CA is a state that is well known for having people file ADA suits that border on frivolous (like some suit trolls will come in, measure a countertop, and sue if it is 0.01 inches off)

2 hours ago, izabella said:

Shaun just existed with the other doctors in that general office. He just became chief resident along with Park.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

The non-ADA-compliant restaurant is just one example of various difficulties she’ll encounter that the intern does not. And then there was the difficulty we saw last episode with trying to get set up to operate.

That scene is irritating - they will come and carry you and the chair? No! A thousand times no! And an "old" building housing a what looked like a fancy restaurant has no excuse to add a ramp. Even small places in my city have a removable ramp - not ideal either - because they cannot alter the outside of the buildings.

Glassman needs to stop yelling. He needs to stop yelling at Shaun and in general. He sounds like Toby in The West Wing and it was already annoying back them.

Genetic test that comes back in one day? Suuuuure. Last year a friend had a genetic test, her parents didn't, the first prediction was 18 weeks, then ic came back in 23 or 24 weeks

The little scene of the "ladies" choosing the dress was so ridiculous. The "I see you in your house" was invasive to say the least. Insecurities about what to wear, fine, but this "girls bonding over clothes" is just another TV trope

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Glassman needs someone to set him straight.  What is his goal?  Making someone else feel a certain way is ridiculous.  It’s as crazy as telling a scared person, Don’t be scared.  Or, telling a crying person, Don’t cry!  What’s the point?  People don’t start or stop their feelings because someone demanded it.  I found that annoying and too contrived.  

Don’t even get me started on what a jerk Glassman so frequently is. And he can deny all he wants that he wasn’t shooting Shaun’s ideas down because he was still mad at him, but I don’t buy it.

I don’t get the big problem with Shaun’s office in a storage closet. I don’t even have ASD and would have loved to have had my own office, even if it was in a storage closet, because I had a lot of trouble tuning out the extraneous (and usually LOUD) conversations that were always going on around me when I was trying to concentrate on debugging. The forced telecommuting during COVID was a godsend for me. Glad I retired before the company could force everyone to go back to the office.

If everyone in the hospital who seems to have a problem with Shaun’s office is bothered because it means he isn’t interacting enough with others, they need to remember he’s an adult and they shouldn’t be policing him.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I had gotten over my initial dislike of Glassman, but I’m now recalling his annoying ways. Recall, how he was so controlling when he started dating his ex wife?  He continued to pursue her even after she asked him to leave her alone.  The show made it appear that her was romantic and devoted, instead of stalker like.  He’s still manipulative and domineering, imo.   Oh, I did sort of see his point when he was concerned about there being a gun in his house.  But, he and his wife struggled due to his controlling style.  He could use some more therapy.  Didn’t he used to see one about his daughter?  

• Useful 1
On 11/1/2022 at 9:58 PM, bros402 said:

Also, Lim should file a suit against that restaurant - CA is a state that is well known for having people file ADA suits that border on frivolous (like some suit trolls will come in, measure a countertop, and sue if it is 0.01 inches off)

It is my understanding that older, historic buildings can be exempted from ADA compliance, but that building, and those stairs did not look old enough to qualify. (Maybe the building is compliant if one offers two hefty men to lift you?)

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Useful 1

They did a show last leason with an older/younger brother.  The younger brother was in a wheelchair I think and the older brother took a chance on having surgery on his paralyzed arm, and the surgery caused even more paralysis - something like that.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

It is my understanding that older, historic buildings can be exempted from ADA compliance, but that building, and those stairs did not look old enough to qualify. (Maybe the building is compliant if one offers two hefty men available to lift you?)

yeah having people carry you is not ADA compliant

• Love 4
18 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

It is my understanding that older, historic buildings can be exempted from ADA compliance, but that building, and those stairs did not look old enough to qualify. (Maybe the building is compliant if one offers two hefty men to lift you?)

The thing I didn't get is, there were like 2 stairs, and they had stairs on both sides of the room. It should not be too hard to turn one set into a ramp, I would imagine they even sell devices you could temporarily lay over low stairs like that.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

The thing I didn't get is, there were like 2 stairs, and they had stairs on both sides of the room. It should not be too hard to turn one set into a ramp, I would imagine they even sell devices you could temporarily lay over low stairs like that.

That's right. It was a very easy rampable situation, and would not have interfered with the historic building. It's just that they didn't give a shit about doing it. Not the fault of the hostess or staff, but a clear ADA violation and also really obnoxious. I understood that the guy was trying to make it better by finding a way they could still eat there, but I would like businesses like that to be boycotted, protested, and sued.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

I think it depends on each city but usually is the outside of the building that is exempt. The inside is when the building is deemed historic, part of some preservation. In any case, not ideal but doable and acceptable if modifications cannot be made for those reason, would be a removable ramp. I have been to building that are old and they installed the little elevators. Even some of the places in the Freedom Trail in Boston had buildings modified to make them acceptable. I don't see why a restaurant couldn't - in California, which is way newer than Boston

16 hours ago, bros402 said:

yeah having people carry you is not ADA compliant

Not to mention invasion of personal space. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, circumvent said:

Not to mention invasion of personal space. 

yup, since it is treating a person like an object. They just asked for those staff to come - not even asking Lim first.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, bros402 said:

yup, since it is treating a person like an object. They just asked for those staff to come - not even asking Lim first.

yeah, it would be super embarrassing for her to be carried up the stairs.  and, would they pick her up out of her chair and carry her or try to load her in the chair, which might be dangerous.

or maybe, her date/not-date guy could have called ahead to make sure they had ada compliant access and chosen another place if not

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, possibilities said:

It's dangerous and a liability-- they injure her when carrying and she has even more of a lawsuit. Most places will not even offer to carry you, for that reason. But if they do? Refuse, absolutely you should refuse.

Yes, disabled people's bodies are different, one cannot just pick them up and move them around even if they have permission. An aide has to know what they are doing, that's  one reason why disabled people go to extensive search when they need aides.

Not only carrying the wheelchair with the person sitting on it, even touching the chair without permission is a big no-no. Places that are not ADA compliant are breaking laws, that's the end of it.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, circumvent said:

Yes, disabled people's bodies are different, one cannot just pick them up and move them around even if they have permission. An aide has to know what they are doing, that's  one reason why disabled people go to extensive search when they need aides.

Not only carrying the wheelchair with the person sitting on it, even touching the chair without permission is a big no-no. Places that are not ADA compliant are breaking laws, that's the end of it.

Not to mention, if she’s carried up the stairs, she now has no way to get out if an emergency happens. It will trap her.

• Like 2
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, jabRI said:

And who has a medical consultation about a genetic disorder, and an unknown daughter in the hospital cafeteria???  Come on, they could borrow an office for 15 minutes.

They could have used Shaun's storage room office.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, jabRI said:

And who has a medical consultation about a genetic disorder, and an unknown daughter in the hospital cafeteria???  Come on, they could borrow an office for 15 minutes.

yup, they could've gone to the room they use for figuring stuff out

or borrow a room in the clinic

or go up to Lea's Computer Lair

or literally anywhere else in the hospital

• Love 1
23 hours ago, possibilities said:

Every hospital has private rooms for sensitive conversations between doctors and patients.

obviously every room in the hospital was full of doctors using them for offices, seeing how Shaun is in a storage room :P

• LOL 3
On 11/1/2022 at 7:22 AM, possibilities said:

That was dumb. Almost as dumb as somebody who lost a leg trying to relate to somebody who has been paralised below the waist. I mean does Lim even have control of her bladder and bowels? If so she is one of the very, very lucky ones. With a lost leg you get a prosthesis, physical therapy and you are almost back to how you were before. Depending on your injury and how good pt went, you might even be able to run marathons. It's nothing like constantly pissing and shitting yourself, having to check for injuries all the time, because you can't feel them, not being able to walk at all, etc.

I wanted Lim to tell her that she needed to whisper something in her ear and then smack her left to right when she bent down. Instead she takes that horrible advise? Seriously?

They also never communicated the risks of the final surgery approach to us. I mean, of course people with disabilities aren't "lesser" than others, but it still impacts that persons quality of life drastically and will shorten life expectancy. So if there aren't high risks why not do it? Almost seems like the writers are overcompensating with their "disability acceptance" here, because they've been so horrible in the past.

From what they explained this week about the cause for Lim's paralysis I even more don't get how the surgery supposedly caused it. So why is Glassman still on Shaun's case about apologising he clearly did nothing wrong?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Btw. there isn't just one mutation that can cause hemacromatosis, there are multiple and almost everybody has at least one of them. I have one. So having to inform the biological father about it seems like a big stretch.

It's also increadibly uncommon that it gets this bad at that age. Iron needs a long time to accumulate and the growth usually makes up for it. Many women then never develope symptoms until menopause, because they bleed every month, even though the amount of blood is relatively small.

And the liver failing from it, don't get me started. She would have had to have horrible liver enzyme levels and a bunch of symptoms for years and years for it to get this far,

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
On 11/2/2022 at 12:06 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I wonder if he works a program.  

If he works a programm it's hopefully not NA, because they have a lousy success rate. About on the level of "just deciding to quit".

On 11/2/2022 at 9:59 AM, circumvent said:

Genetic test that comes back in one day? Suuuuure. Last year a friend had a genetic test, her parents didn't, the first prediction was 18 weeks, then ic came back in 23 or 24 weeks

If it's urgent it can be done in a few hours. That wasn't the problem with this case.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Btw. there isn't just one mutation that can cause hemacromatosis, there are multiple and almost everybody has at least one of them. I have one. So having to inform the biological father about it seems like a big stretch.

It's also increadibly uncommon that it gets this bad at that age. Iron needs a long time to accumulate and the growth usually makes up for it. Many women then never develope symptoms until menopause, because they bleed every month, even though the amount of blood is relatively small.

And the liver failing from it, don't get me started. She would have had to have horrible liver enzyme levels and a bunch of symptoms for years and years for it to get this far,

Yup - my dad discovered he had hemochromatosis at one of his physicals like... 8 years ago? He just donates blood every couple of months.

Yeah - her parents would have had to be neglecting her and not taking her to to the doctor at all if they weren't addressing the symptoms before liver failure.

14 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

If it's urgent it can be done in a few hours. That wasn't the problem with this case.

Yeah - tests can be rushed to get results *quickly* - one time I had a CT and an ultrasound done when I went to the ER (had to check for blood clots and to make sure blood flow wasn't being blocked by a massive spleen). The doctor got the basics of both before the orderly found me and wheeled me back to the ER.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, bros402 said:

Yeah - her parents would have had to be neglecting her and not taking her to to the doctor at all if they weren't addressing the symptoms before liver failure.

TV-style liver failure always hits people in a split second, and when the symptoms show up the ONLY solution is a transplant. And when transplants are performed, they get the liver, perform the operation without any pre-op protocol. As if transplants are emergency surgeries. I understand the rush to put it all in an episode but it wouldn't be less "dramatic" if they worked a little harder on a backstory to get to that point.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, circumvent said:

TV-style liver failure always hits people in a split second, and when the symptoms show up the ONLY solution is a transplant. And when transplants are performed, they get the liver, perform the operation without any pre-op protocol. As if transplants are emergency surgeries. I understand the rush to put it all in an episode but it wouldn't be less "dramatic" if they worked a little harder on a backstory to get to that point.

Why do they even use the liver so often? It's the most resilient organ we have. It can take a massive beating and still heal itself.

You either need years of abuse or some massive event, like taking a bottle of Tylanol all at once, to effectively kill a liver.

Related: When the dad was afraid of donating part of his liver this episode, I was flummoxed when Shaun didn't say "It will grow back". Because it does that. It's a remarkable organ. Of course an operation always carries some risk, but it's not like you are going to have to live with limitations for the rest of your life, like when you donate a kidney.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

When the dad was afraid of donating part of his liver this episode, I was flummoxed when Shaun didn't say "It will grow back". Because it does that. It's a remarkable organ. Of course an operation always carries some risk, but it's not like you are going to have to live with limitations for the rest of your life, like when you donate a kidney.

I think the show doesn't care about educating people, it just wants the drama of frustration and near death and heroic saves. It's stupid, because they could have had both without much trouble in this episode, but they chose not to. Lazy!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

The Halloween stuff was fun, I liked seeing how everyone dressed up, although I am not sure how professional it is to dress up for Halloween while your seeing patients. Can you imagine having to tell someone they're dying of pancreatic cancer while dressed like Sully from Monsters Inc? 

I wish we had seen more of Lim's thought process about not trying the surgery. Did she really make this possibly life changing decision based on one speech from an intern she hardly knows on an elevator? Not that losing a leg isn't rough, but getting a prosthetic leg is hardly the same as being in a wheelchair for the rest of your life. That is a huge change to your entire life, she really has no room to lecture Lim about what she should or should not do with her own health and try to compare their very different situations. 

Just where did neighbor guy think that this was going? He takes a woman out to a nice restaurant, tells her she looks beautiful, goes back to her place with a glass of wine, what other signs does he need that this is a date? I would guess that he did think that this was a date but got cold feet when things started getting physical. 

• Love 5
On 11/1/2022 at 2:05 PM, thuganomics85 said:

I see that they made sure to go all in with the Disney synergy at the beginning with all of the doctors being dressed as characters that just happen to be under the banner of the Mouse!  Did chuckle over Park being Wolverine since Will Yun Lee also played one of the baddies in The Wolverine film itself.  Of course, I noticed all of the costumes and make-up disappeared once the shit went down!  To be fair, it would have been hard watching a story about a dying girl if Asher was standing around dressed as Grogu/Yoda!  Or Lea/Glassman's confrontation would have felt just a little bit out of place if she was still dressed as Ahsoka Tano...

So, we finally discover Daniel's secret: he is a heroin addict who is now over five years sober, but he understandably is always cautious since a relapse is still a possibility (including almost having one six months ago but flushing the drugs before it was too late.)  So, between that and wanting to be a surgeon, he just doesn't think he's capable of having a relationship of any kind.  Makes sense, I guess, and I'm glad he came clean with Jordan about it (and she is understanding), but I suspect this isn't over.  Either a romance of some kind will still happen or a particular tragic case will led to him falling off the wagon.

At this point, Glassman's being more emotional and an even bigger jerk to Shaun.  At least Lim is being true to her word about being professional with him (if not friendly.)  But Glassman really is still coming off like he's just pissed Shaun dared to change things without his permission (even though that is something most surgeons do when perimeters suddenly change), and being all huffy about it.  I'm almost at the point where I'd think he'd still be mad if Lim's paralyzation didn't happen.  I do think Shaun does feel some form of guilt and that's why he got upset over her refusing his new idea.  Even if I suspect it will end up being proven to be the right call, he deep down does feel like he at the very least played a part in her situation.

Both of the cases were good and well acted by all of the guest performers.

Cool that Daniel Dae Kim himself directed this episode.

Shaun was NOT supposed to change things without his permission. That's the whole crux of the issue. Shaun was the resident, and unless Lim was coding, which she wasn't, he was to stick with Glassman's plan, who was the attending. And rather directly, or indirectly, it lead to Lim being paralyzed. And Shaun can keep saying he saved her life, but he also has to take some accountability. Lim was paralyzed under his watch. That's why Glassman was wanting Shaun to apologize. Most top surgeons will still apologize for a complication, even if it wasn't directly their fault. It's just called being professional. And considering how Lim has bent over backwards to stick up for Shaun in the past, that's the least he can do. That's probably more the reason Glassman is upset at Shaun.

• Useful 1

As others have said, it was nice to see Daniel had an actual legit reason for not wanting to date Jordan. I'm surprised the writers decided to get that deep. This was something the Grey's writers could have done with Amelia. That being said, if him wanting to maintain his sobriety is going to the be the reason for not getting romantically involved, then it needs to stick. It can't last for only 5-10 episodes, and then he and Jordan get paired on another case that draws them in emotionally to the point where he's willing to throw his sobriety reason out the window. Make it matter. And let's see his character develop instead of having forced storylines with Jordan all the time. We've seen that on too many shows.

When did Shaun train in neurosurgery? This lack of specialties for the doctors is getting on my nerves. Glassman is the only certified neurosurgeon there (since this show does not want to seem to add more attendings after Melendez). And as mentioned earlier, I can understand why Glassman is angry at Shaun. He's not trying to force Shaun to accept fault for Lim, but he wants him to shoulder some accountability for the unexpected complication that was either directly or indirectly caused by him changing the surgical plan without permission. He needs to accept that he was wrong to do that, and he needs to apologize to Lim for the end result.  And he needed to back off when Lim decided against the surgery and respect her decision. 

In regards to that decision, Danica may mean well, but she's not in the same boat at Lim. Her leg was severed and there's no getting that limb back. But she did get an artificial leg that allows her to still live a relatively normal life. Audrey is in a wheelchair. She has to drive by hand. She has to hope every building she enters is handicap-accessible. And she has a realistic chance of having a surgery done that can allow her to walk again. That's something that's a rarity amongst paraplegics. That's a chance you take.

It was also nice to have an episode where we finally didn't have to endure Park and Morgan taking shots at each other. The episode seemed to flow a lot better without their banter.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, circumvent said:

obviously in TV land, a liver must be like an appendix - when it is going to crap out, it just does it!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2