Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Growth Opportunities

bros402
  • Start Topic

On 11/7/2022 at 6:10 PM, WinJet0819 said:

And as mentioned earlier, I can understand why Glassman is angry at Shaun. He's not trying to force Shaun to accept fault for Lim, but he wants him to shoulder some accountability for the unexpected complication that was either directly or indirectly caused by him changing the surgical plan without permission. He needs to accept that he was wrong to do that, and he needs to apologize to Lim for the end result.  And he needed to back off when Lim decided against the surgery and respect her decision. 

With Shaun's black and white thinking, I understand why he cannot apologize to Lim. He wasn't responsible for her complications, even if they resulted from his actions. If he had to do the whole thing over again, he would presumably make the same choice, because he did what he thought was best, so how could he in good faith apologize? Could he tell her he's sorry things turned out the way they did? Sure. Could he give her time to share her reasons for deciding against the surgery? Sure. But Glassman is punishing Shaun in a cruel way, and I'm glad he got a reminder via his memory of Maddie that his way doesn't work. He's not helping Shaun to see the situation in a new way, he's pushing him so hard, he's getting stuck.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ForReal said:

With Shaun's black and white thinking, I understand why he cannot apologize to Lim. He wasn't responsible for her complications, even if they resulted from his actions. If he had to do the whole thing over again, he would presumably make the same choice, because he did what he thought was best, so how could he in good faith apologize? Could he tell her he's sorry things turned out the way they did? Sure. Could he give her time to share her reasons for deciding against the surgery? Sure. But Glassman is punishing Shaun in a cruel way, and I'm glad he got a reminder via his memory of Maddie that his way doesn't work. He's not helping Shaun to see the situation in a new way, he's pushing him so hard, he's getting stuck.

Exactly how was Glassman punishing Shaun? By being mad at him? As he said, he didn't shoot down Shaun's surgical ideas because of his anger. They weren't safe. Glassman now doesn't have a right to be mad at Shaun, even if he loves him? You can't expect Glassman to treat this like any other conflict they've had with a hoe-hum attitude because Shaun is Shaun. He's a grown man, and he's not infallible. Lim's life was changed. Tough love hurts, but that's why it's tough. Lea gave him the same type of tough love at the beginning of season 2 if I recall when he ghosted her to avoid hashing out their issues.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 11/1/2022 at 1:22 AM, possibilities said:

I wish they'd shown why Shaun thought it was unfair that Lim rejected the surgery, because I didn't get it.

From Shaun’s point of view, he went to great effort coming up with the solution that he did, studied extensively on it, and even thought over details over and over to perfect them in his mind. He doesn’t know of Lim’s doubts or fears, or that she had a conversation with Danica (?). So he just thinks they are dismissing him.

Lim and Glassman’s frustration with Shaun may be something they have thought for a while but is only now coming to a head. I decided to rewatch a few episodes from Season 3 a couple days ago, one I remember watching was 45 Degree Angle, the episode where Shaun freaked out on Nurse Hawks for not handing him his clamp correctly. I said at the time, and still maintain that her earlier comments about his relationship in the episode factored into it. But when Lim tells him to apologize to her, he doesn’t think he has done anything wrong and never even considers that, which is pretty much the same attitude he has regarding Lim’s surgery/paralysis.

• Useful 2

I’m still dumbfounded at how mad Glassman is mad at Shaun.i used to like their relationship but now just find Glassman to be a condescending asshole. I think his relationship with Leah is the healthiest one he has.

It was nice to see Morgan interact with Lim without her rolling her eyes for a change.

Edited by Avabelle
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I know this episode aired a month ago and everything has been well covered but I haven’t seen anyone mention Lea going to the bar to show Mick a video of his bio kid. What a major breach of privacy laws they kept going on about for her to even know that situations details. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, racked said:

I know this episode aired a month ago and everything has been well covered but I haven’t seen anyone mention Lea going to the bar to show Mick a video of his bio kid. What a major breach of privacy laws they kept going on about for her to even know that situations details. 

I recall watching the episode and it sticking out like a sore thumb but I’ve long since stopped trying to track logic on theee medical shows. It’s all so ridiculously inappropriate. I also found all four of the them coming together as besties for the love of the child a joke - how the spouses could even be in the same room as them is beyond me.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Even if you work in IT in a hospital, you are bound by HIPAA (I know I've had training on it and no where near patients)

• Like 1
  • Love 2