Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 10/17/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Oct. 17 – Chelsea Manning (author, “README.txt: A Memoir”); “View Your Deal”

Tuesday, Oct. 18 – Ralph Macchio (author, “Waxing On: The Karate Kid and Me”; “Cobra Kai”); John Grisham (author, “The Boys from Biloxi”)

Wednesday, Oct. 19 – Danielle Deadwyler, Jaylyn Hall, Sean Patrick Thomas and director Chinonye Chukwu (“Till”); Amber Tamblyn (author, “Listening in the Dark”)

Thursday, Oct. 20 – “The View” celebrates Sunny Hostin’s birthday; April Ryan (author, “Black Women Will Save the World: An Anthem”); performance from The Isley Brothers  

Friday, Oct. 21 – The Political View with Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN); performance from Jaime Camil (“El Rey”; “Vincente Fernández”)

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I suppose the ladies will get 5 minutes to speak once you subtract commercials, the interview, and VYD on Monday and Friday. Well, I guess they don't list VYD on Friday's show here, but it was on this past Friday despite not being listed upfront, so... 🙄

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 10/16/2022 at 3:34 AM, Soapy Goddess said:

Ugh...I'm dreading Thursday. It's bad enough that she enjoys attention on a daily basis. This is going to put it way over the top.

I can't stand her 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

By the lack of comments on today's show, it must have been riveting!😛

Yeah, nothing exciting whatsoever.

And I remain convinced that Sunny is actually a conservative plant who uses her religion as a shield and sometimes lets it slip.

Lets be honest here, it has just turned into another talk show where most of the guests are only there to shill their latest movie or book, even politicians lately and my view of that is nobody wants to come on & discuss the tough issues anymore unless they know the majority of the "panel" will agree with them.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

And I remain convinced that Sunny is actually a conservative plant who uses her religion as a shield and sometimes lets it slip.

I don't think that she is a conservative plant and even if she was conservative so what.. Why does everybody have to be liberal? It is possible to have both conservative and liberal opinions on different issues.. One does not have to be an absolutist on anything,

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

17 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I don't think that she is a conservative plant and even if she was conservative so what.. Why does everybody have to be liberal? It is possible to have both conservative and liberal opinions on different issues.. One does not have to be an absolutist on anything,

I agree with @Pearson80. Sunny has always been open about how she is socially conservative when it comes to her religious beliefs. And Liberal on other matters. She doesn't or hasn't "hidden" anything.

• Like 7
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I don't care if she's conservative, if she is then just say so. I would actually like a more balanced panel than just the supposedly 1 conservative voice fighting with the other 4 most of the time unless Anna is there in place of Joy or Whoopi and even Anna is very moderate. It's probably just Sunny's self righteous attitude that pisses me off sometimes clouding my judgement. 

• Love 1

Ralph Macchio is going to look about 35 when he's 70. He has some incredible genes, because he never seems to age. He also seems to have a good perspective on life and work, which is so refreshing.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Ralph Macchio is going to look about 35 when he's 70. He has some incredible genes, because he never seems to age. He also seems to have a good perspective on life and work, which is so refreshing.

I can’t believe he was 21-22 when he made TKK. He looked about 14!  He seems like a nice, normal guy. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

He's like the Dick Clark of my generation!

• Like 4
  • Wink 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Those chairs look so dam  uncomfortable.  They would kill my back.  Id be hobbling out after each show all bent  over.  Plus, not sure why i never noticed, maybe becz i never looked lol, but the still photo they show at the beginning...everyone is all hugging close together except one.  It just feels weird.  I guess no weirder than if she was trying to get in on it.i just don't feel her. That's all. And I, 'of course', will probably be back. LoL Whoop, them 'of courses' are back.  Gotta watch those.  Annoying AF

50 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

He's like the Dick Clark of my generation!

His parents must have been 5 when they had him. Or he has alien dna. Or both. Who the F knows

1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

I'm not always fond of things Whoopi says to the other ladies, but I was glad she told "whats her face" to zip it about her personal life.

She of the brain fart? Lol

36 minutes ago, ForumLou said:

Those chairs look so dam  uncomfortable.  They would kill my back.  Id be hobbling out after each show all bent  over.  Plus, not sure why i never noticed, maybe becz i never looked lol, but the still photo they show at the beginning...everyone is all hugging close together except one.  It just feels weird.  I guess no weirder than if she was trying to get in on it.i just don't feel her. That's all. And I, 'of course', will probably be back. LoL Whoop, them 'of courses' are back.  Gotta watch those.  Annoying AF

His parents must have been 5 when they had him. Or he has alien dna. Or both. Who the F knows

She of the brain fart? Lol

No, the "new girl".  I can never remember her name ... Farrah something.

• LOL 2

To add to this scintillating analysis, why does Sara continue to allow her hairstylist to desecrate her beauty with those hideous cone-head updo’s?   And the struggling makeup “artist”/kindergartener to smear highlighter, eyeshadow etc., haphazardly across her naturally stunning  mug?  Is Sara so used to her great looks that she doesn’t bother with mirrors?

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ForumLou said:

Plus, not sure why i never noticed, maybe becz i never looked lol, but the still photo they show at the beginning...everyone is all hugging close together except one. 

The other thing that I noticed is that a couple of the panel are wearing different clothes in the group photo than in their previous photos.  If the promo shoot is all at once, shouldn't everybody be wearing the same clothes?  Or if the group photo was taken at a different time shouldn't EVERYBODY be wearing different clothes? (Aaah, the things that keep me up at night!🤪)

3 hours ago, ForumLou said:

Plus, not sure why i never noticed, maybe becz i never looked lol, but the still photo they show at the beginning...everyone is all hugging close together except one. 

I’ve noticed since the new season started - all but the newbie are leaning towards Joy.  Those closest are leaning away from Alyssa.  She also walks out completely alone, far ahead of the others

• Love 3
4 hours ago, McKavity said:

I’ve noticed since the new season started - all but the newbie are leaning towards Joy.  Those closest are leaning away from Alyssa.  She also walks out completely alone, far ahead of the others

Not surprised. Joy is the only one there who gets along with everyone. Body language gives most things away.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I have never seen anyone look so young for his age!! Wish they had family photos to see if everyone has those genes.

• Like 1

Clearly, Ralph Macchio is drinking blood of virgins; that's why he looks like he's 30ish. I kid! I kid! But he looks fantastic.

While there was no talk about My Cousin Vinny, at least he got to talk about the wonderful late Pat Morita. I wish the show had let us hear the screen test of both Morita and Ralph, even if they weren't in the same scene. And while he was probably known as Arnold from Happy Days, Morita had already left the show and Al was running it by the time casting for The Karate Kid was happening.

And stop it, Sunny. IF Ralph knew they had been renewed, the news would have come from Netflix. If they were close to it, and they told him to keep his lips zipped, why do you think he would tell any of you?

Unlike the ladies, I'm not too big a fan of the show, because of the apologist turn they gave Johnny, and turning Danny into a jerk. I think the guy they showed in that clip was the villain from The Karate Kid II!

And AGAIN, Alyssa proves herself an idiot; no, that's not fair. With all the over talking, I don't know if Sunny also thought the same thing, but they're ALL guilty of it: when talking about letters to Carolyn Hax, they ALWAYS get something wrong. Like the letter about celebrating downfall of an ex. The letter writer was with her FRIENDS. Nowhere in that letter did she say she was with her "boyfriend" like Alyssa was spouting when judging her. It was her SISTER who told her she shouldn't get satisfaction that her ex and ex-best friend who he cheated with, have been dealt with KARMA. If you're going to talk about this stuff, take the damned time, no more than 1 minute, to read the fucking letter.

And good Lord, can Sunny just stop with that pouting thing she keeps doing? It got so Whoopi stopped in the middle of what she was saying to ask her "why are you looking at me like that?" The subject was about polls, I think. And how people process what they're hearing with the upcoming midterms.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It was her SISTER who told her she shouldn't get satisfaction that her ex and ex-best friend who he cheated with, have been dealt with KARMA.

The sister is wrong.  Karma is the universe's way of telling us don't worry I got your back.

• Useful 1
29 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

The sister is wrong.  Karma is the universe's way of telling us don't worry I got your back.

I agree. I'm still waiting for KARMA to go down on the ass who married me for a green card. Not that I dwell or anything.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Hugs 3
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And good Lord, can Sunny just stop with that pouting thing she keeps doing? 

It goes perfectly with her prim proper Queen Victoria persona. She is quickly becoming as annoying as Megan was and that is saying something!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Whoopi got on my last nerve in the Markle topic basically trying to keep anyone who disagreed with her from speaking. And then the very next segment is all about Whoopi's new movie, where you can expect the usual asskissing from the guests, even more unbearable after what had just happened before. I just deleted.

I see that I'd forgot Tamblyn was supposed to be in the latter half, maybe I'll try to watch that online later.

• Love 1

I'm not a game show maven, but I think that Joy's characterization of them is outdated. Primetime Deal or No Deal was what - at least 10+ years ago? I think on The Price Is Right has male and female prize presenters, and I can't really think of other games where they have people presenting prizes or being part of the game as in Deal or No Deal. 

Anyway, how Megan Markle felt about herself on DND is her experience, and good for her for leaving since she felt bad about it. However, as Whoopi said, the gig is what it is, and if you have misgivings about what that entails, then perhaps you don't want to apply for it. While MM is talking about her feelings, she's also saying things that might make the other women on that show feel diminished and a little insulted. I hope that at some point she says that this is one person's perspective and not everyone might feel the same way. Personally, I think being an actor is probably terrible for a person's self-image. The selection process can focus too much on the superficial aspects of the actor's appearance. It is no surprise that actors can have low self-esteem and big egos at the same time.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Isn't that pretty much a given, since she is giving her perspective and no one would expect everyone to feel the same way?

You would think so, but some people seem to take anything a celebrity says as gospel, which is why I think it wouldn't hurt to spell out what really should be obvious. 

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I'm not a game show maven, but I think that Joy's characterization of them is outdated. Primetime Deal or No Deal was what - at least 10+ years ago? I think on The Price Is Right has male and female prize presenters, and I can't really think of other games where they have people presenting prizes or being part of the game as in Deal or No Deal. 

Anyway, how Megan Markle felt about herself on DND is her experience, and good for her for leaving since she felt bad about it. However, as Whoopi said, the gig is what it is, and if you have misgivings about what that entails, then perhaps you don't want to apply for it. While MM is talking about her feelings, she's also saying things that might make the other women on that show feel diminished and a little insulted. I hope that at some point she says that this is one person's perspective and not everyone might feel the same way. Personally, I think being an actor is probably terrible for a person's self-image. The selection process can focus too much on the superficial aspects of the actor's appearance. It is no surprise that actors can have low self-esteem and big egos at the same time.

I wonder if she felt typecasted or feared typecasting. If she was a spokesmodel for too long, she might not be taken seriously as an actress. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And AGAIN, Alyssa proves herself an idiot; no, that's not fair. With all the over talking, I don't know if Sunny also thought the same thing, but they're ALL guilty of it: when talking about letters to Carolyn Hax, they ALWAYS get something wrong. Like the letter about celebrating downfall of an ex. The letter writer was with her FRIENDS. Nowhere in that letter did she say she was with her "boyfriend" like Alyssa was spouting when judging her. It was her SISTER who told her she shouldn't get satisfaction that her ex and ex-best friend who he cheated with, have been dealt with KARMA. If you're going to talk about this stuff, take the damned time, no more than 1 minute, to read the fucking letter.

Sorry GH, but the letter specifically said her boyfriend bought a round of drinks to celebrate the bad karma the ex was experiencing.

19 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Isn't that pretty much a given, since she is giving her perspective and no one would expect everyone to feel the same way?

You would think but let's face it, at this point, Meghan Markle breathing inspires faux outrage and pearl clutching from some. As Beyonce says, "you know you're that chick when you cause all that conversation." I would like to say I'm surprised by Whoopi's clueless response that obviously came from looking at nothing but a headline. However, it's been the story of this show with maybe a few exceptions from some of the women. A lot of being unprepared, little to no research on the topics being discussed and a lot of being very loud even when wrong. 

18 hours ago, KittyQ said:

You would think so, but some people seem to take anything a celebrity says as gospel, which is why I think it wouldn't hurt to spell out what really should be obvious. 

No, what some do is choose to be selective in what or more specifically who, they're offended and outraged about. A less than two second search would have informed anyone of the full context of her comment. But why bother when clickbait and selective outrage is so much more fun.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7
27 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I would like to say I'm surprised by Whoopi's clueless response that obviously came from looking at nothing but a headline. 

If I'm not mistaken Whoopi was also the first host to speak on this topic and she rarely does that.  Yes Meghan knew what her job was going to be.  And at some point she decided she didn't like how it made her feel.  And that is OK. 

19 hours ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I wonder if she felt typecasted or feared typecasting. If she was a spokesmodel for too long, she might not be taken seriously as an actress. 

She wasn't even a spokesmodel. She was basically eye candy. But I agree with what you are saying.  Meghan most likely wanted to be known for more than her looks.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, jalady said:

Sorry GH, but the letter specifically said her boyfriend bought a round of drinks to celebrate the bad karma the ex was experiencing.

I missed that when I went back to review to make sure, but I missed it. But the way Alyssa was couching it, it gave the impression the letter writer was with ONLY her boyfriend, and not friends and her sister. So I was half right. More right than Alyssa.

• Wink 1

I thought yesterday's discussion of Till was very powerful. It is ESSENTIAL that the truth of history be told, despite the efforts of racists to erase whatever doesn't prop up their whitewashed narratives. 

Loving this segment with April Ryan! Between April, Sunny, and Whoopi, SO MUCH is being communicated without being openly said. 

Can't help but wonder what Alyssa felt sitting in April's presence. 

Oooooh, the Isley Brothers still got it! 🔥 And can get it. 😉

Happy birthday, Sunny! She looks so radiant and happy. 

Edited by rollacoaster
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

I agreed with Joy in the first segment, it's a continual wash, rinse, repeat situation. Overall, Joy's and Sunny's birthday episodes weren't so bad, since it was really just the last 15 minutes that was about them.

And here in the interview, Alyssa just put herself in the same sentence as April Ryan. I don't think Ryan has anything in common with a disgrace like you, hun. In your dreams.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 7
1 hour ago, rollacoaster said:

I thought yesterday's discussion of Till was very powerful. It is ESSENTIAL that the truth of history be told, despite the efforts of racists to erase whatever doesn't prop up their whitewashed narratives. 

Agree. And it was just eerie, how much Jalyn looks so much like Emmett Till from the pictures they showed. It's going to be a double feature for me this weekend--watching this and I know I'm going to need to feel happy afterward, so it'll be Black Adam--but ONLY for my Remington Steele er James Bond 💗💕💗Pierce Brosnan💗💕💗 FIX!

Whaaaaat?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It's going to be a double feature for me this weekend--watching this and I know I'm going to need to feel happy afterward, so it'll be Black Adam--but ONLY for my Remington Steele er James Bond 💗💕💗Pierce Brosnan💗💕💗 FIX!

Pierce Brosnan can also get it. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Shout is my all time FAVORITE song by the Isley Brothers! I was hoping they'd have time to do the "A little bit softer, a little bit softer now...a little bit louder now, a little bit LOUDER now...Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey" I remember it was one of the songs played at my senior high school prom.

I loved seeing how Sara and Whoopi could sing all the words and dance while they were sitting. Alyssa just looked awkward. 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Shout is my all time FAVORITE song by the Isley Brothers! I was hoping they'd have time to do the "A little bit softer, a little bit softer now...a little bit louder now, a little bit LOUDER now...Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey" I remember it was one of the songs played at my senior high school prom.

I loved seeing how Sara and Whoopi could sing all the words and dance while they were sitting. Alyssa just looked awkward. 

yeah, that would have been great and it was a fun birthday celebration  

• Love 1

Oh, and I agree with Joy-I do not need a disclaimer on The Crown. It's NOT a documentary. That a lot of the people it's based on are still alive is what bothers people, I think? It's stupid. It's a DRAMA based on real people. Some information/scenes are true if they are publicly available. Common sense that scenes that are clearly private are not; or you can just Google to find out if the "public" stuff they plan on dramatizing is pure make-believe or not.

Jeebus Cripes, it's like everyone needs their hands held or given information as if they're 10 years old.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4