Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: The Great Escape

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

After an emotional reunion, Gavin and Eve attempt a daring escape from their unforgiving captors; Lucas leads a dangerous mission to the fort to reclaim the resources his friends so desperately need.

Premiere Date: Tuesday, October 11, 2022        9pm     NBC    
la-brea-season-2-tonantzin-carmelo-chike
NUP_197483_02137.jpg
NUP_197483_00211.jpg

Not really the best idea to steal the food that was given and then removed. There will be payback.

Stoner guy lied about the tall building. At least what’s her name could give him, and us, the viewer, a clue. I assume that the rock the Exiles mine is to power the building. Or somehow control the sinkhole.

Awkward with Eve, Gavin, and Levi and her not knowing that Gavin knows about Levi and Levi thinks Gavin knows. Too bad the Exiles could not come clean and tell the envies what is going on so they can team up and work together. Guess it is easier to hate people, attack people, and capture them to be slave types.

The folks come back to an animal attack. Vengeance from Silas?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

So Eve, Gavin, and Levi get the other prisoners in trouble for plotting an escape and then leave without them? Nice. I guess there was not budget for that many new cast members in the clearing. Also, they should have listened to Gavin/Silas in the first place. Silas is sketchy, but he has always wanted to protect Gavin, so he would not send him into a trap.

Scott why are you lying for Aldridge? What could she have said that convinced him of that. 

Maybe Izzy will become Wolfsnack Jr after next week?

The food they stole will last a couple days. They are going to have to either learn to fend for themselves or make up with the village at some point (or starve to death), so stealing seems pretty dumb.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

How many competing ideas are they going to add to this already convoluted recipe? First we got Paara's group. They seem to be some sort of quasi-Native America tribe, but do we know why they speak English and have a rudimentary understanding of modernity? Didn't they get here through a different sinkhole in the ocean? Why were Silas and Gavin a part of this tribe when Silas appears to be from some other timeline? Why are they calling the new people "The Sky People" as though the Gods delivered them from Mt. Olympus? And why haven't The Sky People simply asked "Hey, can we move into your fort?" 

Now we've got these Exiles. They, too, speak English but they aren't part of Paara's tribe, so where the heck did they come from and why are they dressed like extras from Gladiator? Where are they getting their outfits from anyway? Did Paara's group know about them and if so why didn't she warn Ty and the rest of the Sky People about them? (Is it because the writers hadn't thought of them yet back in Season 1?) Does Paara and her tribe know about the Tower? She never mentioned that either.

When Gavin was trying to talk to that one Exile guy he said "You're Tonka (or something) right? When I was growing up I heard about your people." So there's another tribe? How many tribes are out there? 

And what's to prevent the Exiles from riding to Camp Sky People and enslaving them all? It's clearly in walking distance and they have a gigantic red and white striped sign saying "We Are Here" visible from a mile away.

Finally, why did Scott lie for Aldrich and risk his life for some sort of metallic key card Silas had? He clearly still has no idea what's going on so what exactly was in this for him? 

There's just WAY too much going on here that there's no answer for, the show is compounding mystery on top of mystery and it's all just a baffling mess.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

There's just WAY too much going on here that there's no answer for, the show is compounding mystery on top of mystery and it's all just a baffling mess

I still think this is all on purpose, they don't have any idea of what they want or where they want to go, so they throw everything in there, will solve some of the issues, answer some questions but those answers will be contradictory, without continuity and make no sense. 

Edited by circumvent
  • Love 2

I've been with this show since the pilot, but half way through this episode I switched stations during the commercial and did not come back. I might try it again next week, but really, it's just too much ... what everyone above said.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I have stopped caring about any of this, and any of these people.  This was silly and fun last year.  Now it's just warring factions and constant capturing and escaping from randos the writers just thought up to throw more crap against the wall.  I think I'm done.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, izabella said:

I have stopped caring about any of this, and any of these people.  This was silly and fun last year.  Now it's just warring factions and constant capturing and escaping from randos the writers just thought up to throw more crap against the wall.  I think I'm done.

Me too - I’m close to being done here.  I’ll watch next week (there’s going to be a CGI wolf attack!) but given last night’s episode it was a confusing mess.  Scott, etc. go into Paara’s camp to take back the food undetected and bring back enough for everyone to just “dig in”?  Good for what’s his name for not killing the guy who murdered his mother - at least Veronica made some good points to him to not do it plus he seemed to grow a conscience when watching the guy with his family.  I don’t understand why Scott would make up a story to explain what happened to Aldrich either.  

So Eve, Gavin and Levi escape from the Exiles and leave the other people behind - how long is it going to take for them to go back to get them or convince everyone else to help mount an attack.  By the time this happens I’ll probably be done here so who cares.

This all looks like someone threw spaghetti on the wall in the writers room then saw the garbage that stuck.  

Edited by Cobb Salad
  • Love 4

I started watching the episode and it is so ridiculous. They don't have food, OMG, what are we going to do? We cannot hunt, or fish, we are so fucked! C'mon people! Gavin had barely arrived when he concocted a pear and killed a pig, which they ate happily. It was cooked and apparently delicious. All those people waling around doing nothing cannot at least try to do the same?

And Veronica will put herself in danger because..."Lucas, you saved my life, I need to be grateful and put it in danger again. Maybe I will die this time..."

This show! 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, circumvent said:

I started watching the episode and it is so ridiculous. They don't have food, OMG, what are we going to do? We cannot hunt, or fish, we are so fucked! C'mon people! Gavin had barely arrived when he concocted a pear and killed a pig, which they ate happily. It was cooked and apparently delicious. All those people waling around doing nothing cannot at least try to do the same?

And Veronica will put herself in danger because..."Lucas, you saved my life, I need to be grateful and put it in danger again. Maybe I will die this time..."

This show! 

Maybe these Sky People have the life skill of going to the store to buy food and maybe fast food places.

• LOL 1

When all the food was taken away and the group was going on and on with their oh noes, what will we do … someone said but Eve isn’t around to lead a hunt so something like that.  Really what skills does she have that the others don’t have?  They are the laziest “survivors” ever.  

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

Not sure if this goes in the media thread or not. If so Mods please forgive me.

Dissapointed in the drop in ratings this season for two reasons.

First it was a self- inflicted wound only ordering 10 episodes for season 1. It catches fire and before you know it they are out of fresh content for a year and the enthusiasm fades.

Second it is being beat by yet another cookie cutter CBS police procedural. A whole damn night of the FBI. Why do people eat up these formulaic, stale series? I just don't get it.

LaBrea takes a lot of heat on this bord but the truth is that it's entertaining, enjoyable and above all else different from most network fare.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I liked this episode better than the premier, but it wasn't great. Lost, in spite of it's faults, is my all time favorite show and too often I find myself saying, "Lost did this and way better." That being said, though, I will keep watching. There's so little on network tv that I like anymore, and at least this show is trying to do something different. They need better writers and better ideas, but anyway. 

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, willco said:

Lost, in spite of it's faults, is my all time favorite show and too often I find myself saying, "Lost did this and way better." That being said, though, I will keep watching. There's so little on network tv that I like anymore, and at least this show is trying to do something different. They need better writers and better ideas, but anyway.

that is all I thought about watching this episode.   With Lost it was so exciting to see the different twists and turns that surprised and baffled you, and couldn't wait to talk about with others the next day.  I haven't even found ANYBODY else who watches this crap let alone wants to discuss. 

I have never, and never will, watch a single CSI, NCIS, FBI, Rookies or any other law enforcement show.  Not since Hill Street Blues

• Love 2
3 hours ago, circumvent said:

A great plot twist would be having Levi and Gavin dumping Eve and finding their true love with each other

I was thinking this. Their loving hug, and realizing their love. I'd be all for it. The hell with Eve.

• Love 3

Scott, etc. go into Paara’s camp to take back the food undetected and bring back enough for everyone to just “dig in”?  

Oh that's another thing. They dump out all this food and Lucas says "dig in" then he and Veronica go for a walk while Lucas starts peeling what looks like an apple. And he keeps throwing the peels on the ground. Wasteful! Are these people starving or not? Apparently not so starving they can't still turn their noses up at apple peels. Plus never took one bite out of that apple. Wouldn't be surprised if he threw that away too. 

Honestly, these people deserve to starve to death.

• Love 9

I saw it as an orange.  And, yes, taking an action which would almost certainly bring retaliation for what is, at most, two days worth of food, is incredibly dumb.

“Help, somebody help him, I think he’s having a heart attack!”

And an ancient medieval/barbarian tribesman would know what that is…how, exactly?

Is *everyone* in the past secretly time travelers from the future, because they sure have a perfect grasp of communicating in Modern 21st Century English.

This show makes me feel like I’m freebasing stupidity.

I am ALSO on board with a Gavin/Levi ship.

I don’t know how Scott is managing to lie about Aldridge when this episode showed that he’s a TERRIBLE liar — he couldn’t even remember to limp?

I think that’s easily forgotten about ‘Lost’ is that it wasn’t just a macro show (what’s up with the smoke monster?  What’s up with the hatch?) but also a micro show (why is Locke so gung-ho?  Will Charlie detox?  OMG, Sun can speak English?  What about Claire’s baby?)

I just don’t think this show has the micro level down — case in point, it wants to make this big Eve/Gavin/Levi triangle happen and it just…isn’t as interesting as the show thinks it is.

• Love 6

That has to be the cleanest mine in the history of TV.  No one (other than the Exiles) is dirty or sweaty.  Eve's hair is bouncing and behaving.

The metallic card Scott found said Lazarus on it -- are the people in the tower trying to bring something or someone back from the dead ?  

• Like 3
  • Love 3

The love triangle is boring. Instead of it going away, they’ve doubled down on it. 

12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

How many competing ideas are they going to add to this already convoluted recipe? First we got Paara's group. They seem to be some sort of quasi-Native America tribe, but do we know why they speak English and have a rudimentary understanding of modernity? Didn't they get here through a different sinkhole in the ocean? Why were Silas and Gavin a part of this tribe when Silas appears to be from some other timeline? Why are they calling the new people "The Sky People" as though the Gods delivered them from Mt. Olympus? And why haven't The Sky People simply asked "Hey, can we move into your fort?" 

Now we've got these Exiles. They, too, speak English but they aren't part of Paara's tribe, so where the heck did they come from and why are they dressed like extras from Gladiator? Where are they getting their outfits from anyway? Did Paara's group know about them and if so why didn't she warn Ty and the rest of the Sky People about them? (Is it because the writers hadn't thought of them yet back in Season 1?) Does Paara and her tribe know about the Tower? She never mentioned that either.

When Gavin was trying to talk to that one Exile guy he said "You're Tonka (or something) right? When I was growing up I heard about your people." So there's another tribe? How many tribes are out there? 

Silas and Isiah came to Paara’s tribe a few years ago.  Paara’s tribe merged at some point prior to her birth with time travelers.   That’s why they speak English and had school  work for Isiah and the other kids.  Yet at some  point they became distrustful of new time  travelers. Most likely because they did things like steal their food. Paara’s group knew about the Exiles. Gavin knew who they were.  Although he hadn’t seen them and needed Silas to find them for him. Which probably means they weren’t thought of in season one, 
The Tonga’s were mentioned last season as trading partners of Paara’s group. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Useful 3

The Tongva are the Native Americans native to the area.  Or at least that is one of the last known speaker of their language referred to them as.  We will ignore the fact that they came to the area thousands of years after the time period of the show.  But hey, maybe they fell in a sink hole and ended up in the past too.  Paara's group is multi-ethnic and the fact they refer to the newest arrivals as sky people probably shows two things.  First that people have been falling from the sky for awhile.  And the process has been accelerating after a more erratic past.  As they remember a time this was not a regular thing and do not see themselves as necessarily part of the same process.

The Tongva presence may show there is a Native American presence that has so far been unseen.  Though one different from the one native to the time period they are in.

As for the episode annoying and predictable enough that I say without reservation my favorite character is Silas.  And I hope he wins and it involves the demise of most of the characters on the show.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, circumvent said:
15 hours ago, iMonrey said:

There's just WAY too much going on here that there's no answer for, the show is compounding mystery on top of mystery and it's all just a baffling mess

I still think this is all on purpose, they don't have any idea of what they want or where they want to go, so they throw everything in there, will solve some of the issues, answer some questions but those answers will be contradictory, without continuity and make no sense. 

Edited 15 hours ago by circumvent

I agree--so very convoluted--way too many plots.   I’m trying to hang on, though, and keep watching.  When Manifest went to (or will be on) Netflix, or Apple, or wherever the next season will be, I was so disappointed as I don’t subscribe to those services, but looking back on how convoluted it is, as well, I don’t think I will miss it.  I could probably stop watching LaBrea and feel the same way.  You don’t miss what you don’t have.

• Love 2
On 10/12/2022 at 11:22 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

The metallic card Scott found said Lazarus on it -- are the people in the tower trying to bring something or someone back from the dead ?  

Lazarus department stores, apparently.  It looked like a credit card.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 2

Lazarus department stores, apparently.  It looked like a credit card.

A lot of key cards do look like credit cards. I can't imagine what use anyone would have for a credit card in 10,000 B.C. unless that tower is actually a very tall shopping mall.

These are the kindest slave-owners EVER!
"You need these people to work!"
"We can whip them hard and still make them work.  And we'll start with Eve -- she doesn't do any work anyway!"

On 10/11/2022 at 8:15 PM, Frozendiva said:

Not really the best idea to steal the food that was given and then removed. There will be payback.

"Gee, I wonder who stole our food???"  "I haven't got a clue!"

On 10/12/2022 at 8:12 AM, iMonrey said:

(Is it because the writers hadn't thought of them yet back in Season 1?) 

Ah,yup.  

On 10/12/2022 at 8:25 AM, circumvent said:

So, Lost 2.0 (which I see others have mentioned).

On 10/12/2022 at 10:21 AM, Cobb Salad said:

When all the food was taken away and the group was going on and on with their oh noes, what will we do … someone said but Eve isn’t around to lead a hunt so something like that.  Really what skills does she have that the others don’t have?  They are the laziest “survivors” ever.  

First ones voted off the Island!

On 10/12/2022 at 8:01 PM, Lethallyfab said:

I  think that’s easily forgotten about ‘Lost’ is that it wasn’t just a macro show (what’s up with the smoke monster?  What’s up with the hatch?) but also a micro show (why is Locke so gung-ho?  Will Charlie detox?  OMG, Sun can speak English?  What about Claire’s baby?)

For the first 2 or 3 seasons.  Then it went off the rails into metaphysical garbage.  (The "Tailies" were a complete waste!)  

• Love 1

I just got around to watching this one and these characters are really too dumb to live.  This episode in particular was full of idiotic and frustrating decisions.

Let's start with the mining camp where those "scary" Exiles keep putting Eve and Levi into their own private room.  Like, why?  Where did Levi get the dumb idea that the captives outnumber the Exiles?  It was obvious "storming the gate" wouldn't work.  

Then, we got Gavin getting "punished"... beaten so badly that he could hardly stand in the cave, but after escaping, walking like he was totally fine across that meadow leading to their very special clearing.  

Meanwhile, at the clearing, I felt badly for Ty.  The Silas thing wasn't really his fault, but he's surrounded by a bunch of annoying jerks.  Next up was Lucas' idiotic idea to steal food, which would solve the problem for one or two days?  Well, lucky for him, every hut in Paara's village is always empty.  

I like Scott, so it's annoying to see him as a mole for Aldridge, who's annoyingly cryptic.  But as others have said, it's really hard to care about the Tower and the underlying "mystery".  

I did enjoy the various reunions, though, so there is at least something appealing about the characters?  I have no idea what.  But you know what?  They've "used up" the main reunions we've been waiting for... Eve and Izzy and Gavin.  I don't think anyone cares enough about Wolf Snack to care when he joins up again.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

"Oh, no, the massive steel gate is closing and Gavin is still inside?  What should we do?"  How about shoving one of those carts lying around under the gate so it stops?  But then Indiana Gavin wouldn't get to make his star move there.

• LOL 1