Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 10/3/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Oct. 3 – Maggie Haberman (author, “Confidence Man: The Making of Donald Trump and the Breaking of America”); “View Your Deal”

Tuesday, Oct. 4 – The Political View with Rep. Cori Bush (D-MO) (author, “The Forerunner”); Constance Wu (author, “Making a Scene”)

Wednesday, Oct. 5 – Reese Witherspoon (author, “Busy Betty”)

Thursday, Oct. 6 – Tamron Hall (“Tamron Hall”); Huma Abedin (author, “Both/And”)

Friday, Oct. 7 – Kathy Najimy (“Hocus Pocus 2”); Danielle Brooks (“The Piano Lesson”); “View Your Deal”

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, KingCharlesIII said:

I'm surprised no Kelly Ripa promoting her memoir which just came out. She's been doing the publicity rounds on different shows and press media. I thought for sure she'd be a guest this week. 

Other than that, the week is just 'meh'. 

I wonder if they're going to throw an 80th Birthday party for Joy on Friday (her actual birthday). Or has she given them strict orders not to ? 

Considering Kelly and Sara have a cohost in common, an interview might be awkward. The show was also friendly towards Regis, so they might not care for her. 

re Joy's birthday, maybe the Friday VYD will be all of her favorite things (if she’s there on Friday). 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

Considering Kelly and Sara have a cohost in common, an interview might be awkward. The show was also friendly towards Regis, so they might not care for her. 

re Joy's birthday, maybe the Friday VYD will be all of her favorite things (if she’s there on Friday). 

Sara might be the one to sit out that interview

• Wink 1

Interesting Tamron Hall is on this week because Sunny appeared on her show a week and a half ago. Sunny's comments there were very good. It was 9/22's show for those interested in seeing it; Sunny was there as part of a larger discussion.

Looking forward to Abedin and Najimy!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I actually enjoyed the first segment. I'm looking forward to watching the movie. I can't remember-is it out in theatres or streaming?

And I absolutely loved Whoopi's face after they showed that clip of Dana and Scott.

But seriously. Show can just STOP IT with that music to "play off" the person talking like they do at the Oscars. It's not amusing. Especially since Whoopi was wrapping it up anyway!

And Alyssa can also miss me. The subject was her former boss and his behavior. No one mentioned the "extreme left" only you-because you had to do some ""whataboutisms" must stop." nonsense.

I had to laugh about the segment discussing Lying Boyfriend about the Cat--it was in this morning's Carolyn Hax column. Why not just say it was from her column?!

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 10/1/2022 at 11:23 AM, StaceyNotStacie said:

I'm reading Kelly's book right now.  I'm enjoying it. I've never had a problem with Regis, he's fine, but I don't think he was always the great guy that everyone says. He had his faults and definite eccentricities.

• Like 2

Unpopular opinion -- I think I agree with Alyssa about staying in Trump's administration. Every person who left or was dismissed from the Trump White House was replaced by someone less qualified, less knowledgable about government, with less integrity, and more beholden to Trump. I think there is validity to people believing that their absence would invite a more problematic replacement. And as I've heard several of his former staff say, "He was bad, but it would have been worse had I not been there."

From where we sit we know it's not true, but I can see believing that you could make a difference. 

I give Whoopi a lot of credit for the way she handled the fat suit situation. I read the review -- even without the reference to the fat suit, I found it pretty surprising. Essentially, there's no reason to make a movie because it's not an entertaining story. Not sure what I think about that. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, lovinbob said:

I give Whoopi a lot of credit for the way she handled the fat suit situation. I read the review -- even without the reference to the fat suit, I found it pretty surprising. Essentially, there's no reason to make a movie because it's not an entertaining story. Not sure what I think about that. 

And the review has been updated to remove her line about thinking that Whoopi was wearing a fat suit. Guess she’s fortunate that technology is advanced that the review was online and they were able to correct her assumption.

And only movies that are entertaining should be made? Have several seats, please.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I actually enjoyed the first segment. I'm looking forward to watching the movie. I can't remember-is it out in theatres or streaming?

Till is being released October 14 in theaters.  

What saddens (and scares) me is how many people are going to think it's a work of fiction.

18 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I absolutely loved Whoopi's face after they showed that clip of Dana and Scott.

No matter how hard Rick Scott (and numerous others) try to ignore the elephant (no pun intended) in their party racism has become a defining feature of their party.  And denouncing it in general and not denouncing those who are is only allowing it to get worse.

• Love 5

Wow.

Constance Wu almost had me in tears today. What she went through is still so very raw for her. The lack of support she experienced overall and the shaming from folk in her own culture just made it worse. 

There really is tremendous pressure in minority communities to present a perfect facade and not rock the boat. Be a role model and don't make the community look bad. I hope Constance is finding healing and support as she gets her story out. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Next year maybe the daytime Emmys will have a category for Best Worst Makeup and Hair. That way whoever did that to Sarah today can get the recognition they deserve,

I wonder if they have any say regarding their hair/make-up. I agree, her hair looked awful today.  Greasy on top and dry and fried-looking on the bottom.

3 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

Wow.

Constance Wu almost had me in tears today. What she went through is still so very raw for her. The lack of support she experienced overall and the shaming from folk in her own culture just made it worse. 

There really is tremendous pressure in minority communities to present a perfect facade and not rock the boat. Be a role model and don't make the community look bad. I hope Constance is finding healing and support as she gets her story out. 

That is so true when you are part of a minority group you cannot be an individual because you have to always represent the culture whether you want to or not.. It's not fair at times but it is what it is..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Sad 3
7 hours ago, KingCharlesIII said:

That was more than 15 years ago. Kelly's friction is with Rosie - not Whoopi, Sara, Joy, Sunny or Alyssa. 

Guilty by association, like Alyssa with Trump. 😉

(Yes, I read your post following the one I just quoted 😆)

5 hours ago, debbie311 said:

Kelly is best friends with Anderson Cooper and Andy Cohen, I would hardly call her homophobic.

I dont think she's homophobic. Rosie did. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

Is it written in Alyssa’s contract that she has to ask every single politician that appears on this show if they think President Biden can win in the next general election? It’s so tiresome. I did like how Rep. Bush told her there were more important things she’s focused on right now.

Constance did bring me to tears. I think she would be wonderful as a guest cohost.

• Love 10
23 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

It was about Clay Aiken and the producers allowed Kelly to let Rosie have it on air on her own show. I always thought it was very disrespectful of Rosie. It was obvious that the producers mostly sweaty Bill Geddie wanted to embarrass her on the air.  That conversation between Rosie and Kelly should have happened off the air just like the infamous split screen..

23 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

It was about Clay Aiken and the producers allowed Kelly to let Rosie have it on air on her own show. I always thought it was very disrespectful of Rosie. It was obvious that the producers mostly sweaty Bill Geddie wanted to embarrass her on the air.  That conversation between Rosie and Kelly should have happened off the air just like the infamous split screen..

Many years ago, when college interns were being rotated during the summer, Bill Geddie filmed his firing of  a young lady intern from Richmond, Va.  Apparently she had been overheard giving a negative opinion about Meredith Vieria ,so  Bill decided to humiliate her on air.  It was a disgusting decision and I took a break from the show for a long while.  It didn't surprise me when he was mentoring Elizabeth H as she was just as nasty as  he was at the time.

• Mind Blown 3
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, BuckeyeLou said:

On a shallow note, Whoopi looks so nice this morning, the bright yellow blouse is really pretty & she even has sparkly gold nail polish on.  Whoopi seems to be "upping" her Look.

She looked adorable in her Charlie Brown sweatshirt. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Living with the consequences is one thing. But constantly being berated every day for something that has been addressed time and again, is another thing altogether. Enough is enough!

Sunny is now just a broken record. I actually think we can all fairly accurately predict what every person on this show will say about any topic (except maybe Sara). Sunny, Joy and whoopie just seem so fed up with everything and everyone. Watching a bunch of cranky people is getting old!

• Love 1

I have really grown weary of these daily discussions of recycled reddit crap and years old advice columns. Sunny. No. I really feel for her daughter.  She has an obvious favoritism for her son. I am not sure she would bury any bodies for her daughter. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
37 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I have really grown weary of these daily discussions of recycled reddit crap and years old advice columns.

I remember when Meredith was the moderator and she would hold up newspapers and they would discuss the actual news. 

I really hate that things like reddit and social media gets so much actual media coverage.  I know we live in a changing world but I don't consider what someone writes on reddit to be on the same level as an article written by a NY Times or Washington Post reporter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 10

I think that Sunny really irritated Whoopi by suggesting college was the only way to go. Whoopi didn't go to college (I think she didn't even complete high school) and managed to become successful. While not everyone is able to make such a big change in their lives, I think it is clear that not everyone is going to need (or want) a college education. As Sara pointed out, trade school, community colleges and so on can help people prepare for meaningful careers and jobs that pay more than minimum wage, so the previous focus on college-only is changing.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Good God. That first segment. I’m with Sunny: “What the HELL was that?” So all women and girls who get abortions are “skanks” now? And I suppose the men who got them pregnant were naive cherubs who were tricked?

She (I refuse to say her name) who said this should be raked over and over and dragged, but it won’t happen. 

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

I think that Sunny really irritated Whoopi by suggesting college was the only way to go. Whoopi didn't go to college (I think she didn't even complete high school) and managed to become successful. While not everyone is able to make such a big change in their lives, I think it is clear that not everyone is going to need (or want) a college education. As Sara pointed out, trade school, community colleges and so on can help people prepare for meaningful careers and jobs that pay more than minimum wage, so the previous focus on college-only is changing.

Whoopie is very insecure when it comes to her education it is why she gets bent out of shape whenever somebody challenges her.  It is why she was very rude  and disrespectful to Rosie, Jedediah, Sunny and Paula.  Nicole Wallace read the room and dumbed herself down to ingratiate herself with Whoopie because the Nicole on the view is very different from the Nicole on MSNBC.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, KingCharlesIII said:

I believe this is very true for Asian communities, but not all minority communities. 

As a Black woman, I can speak to it being true for my community. Which minority communities would you say are excluded? 

• Love 6

As a reminder, you can only mention political figures and parties if they are mentioned on the show, and then only in context of what was discussed on the show. Posts that don't adhere to this will be removed, and warnings may be given out. 

This is not the place to discuss your personal political views. Please review the site's political policy as well as the post pinned to the top of this forum.

8 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

On a shallow note, Whoopi looks so nice this morning, the bright yellow blouse is really pretty & she even has sparkly gold nail polish on.  Whoopi seems to be "upping" her Look.

Whoopi ALWAYS ups her wardrobe when there's a guest who may give her a job.  (Just sayin')

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

While Whoopi aggravates me as moderator of this show, and other times when she doesn’t make sense, there is no doubt in my mind that she’s a very talented actress. I don’t think she needs to curry favor or hope someone will cast her. She’s been trying to get this movie made for years. I know I’ll be going to see it. She can be hilariously funny as she was in Ghost and Soap Dish, but also scary as fuck as she was to me in that episode in Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

• Like 7
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

While Whoopi aggravates me as moderator of this show, and other times when she doesn’t make sense, there is no doubt in my mind that she’s a very talented actress. I don’t think she needs to curry favor or hope someone will cast her. She’s been trying to get this movie made for years. I know I’ll be going to see it. She can be hilariously funny as she was in Ghost and Soap Dish, but also scary as fuck as she was to me in that episode in Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

If Whoopi gets nominated for any awards for Till it will be because she deserves it.  When she is given good material she is a very good actress.  It's only when she is being herself she can be unlikable. 

• Like 3
  • Love 9

Is it just me or is this show becoming as insufferable as Sunny? Boring guests and topics and I need something for nausea whenever a celeb is on what with the disgusting ego-stroking and vomit-inducing cries of "You're so beautiful/handsome/intelligent/funny/witty/wonderful!!!!!" 

Am I watching The View or Access Hollywood?!!!!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

About Herschel Walker - The ladies were talking about his confusing statements and how it seems so odd that he's being pushed by the Republican party despite his behavior and problems communicating clearly. Is it possible that his years of football playing have resulted in brain injuries? I don't know anything about him other than what I've seen on the news, but I wonder if his personality changed after his years in football. Regardless, it does seem that his candidacy heavily depends on voters' nostalgia for a fan favorite player.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, KingCharlesIII said:

Maybe she's "upping her wardrobe" from now until the end of January to get the attention of Oscar voters for her role in 'Till' ?  Sarah obviously drew the short straw the other day and had to choke out the words "There's already buzz about Oscars for the movie" and Whoopie feigned surprise with 'Really?'

It's going to be a long four months ahead of us until those nominations come out. 

I am not going to shade Whoopie for wanting an Oscar, everybody wants to get acknowledged for their labor of love.  Emmitt Till's story needs to be told point blank period!  It took years for her to be able to do the movie. Not to mention, Whoopie is a powerhouse actress..  She disappears into her roles and it takes talent in order to do that.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Love 7
On 10/5/2022 at 10:37 AM, KittyQ said:

As Sara pointed out, trade school, community colleges and so on can help people prepare for meaningful careers and jobs that pay more than minimum wage, so the previous focus on college-only is changing.

I am happy to see that trades are getting more respect. Tradespeople make bank! 💰💵🤑 Supplementing a trade with software education can erupt into a very profitable business. Especially if you are innately fair, honest and available for hire. 

On 10/5/2022 at 11:09 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Good God. That first segment. I’m with Sunny: “What the HELL was that?” So all women and girls who get abortions are “skanks” now? And I suppose the men who got them pregnant were naive cherubs who were tricked?

She (I refuse to say her name) who said this should be raked over and over and dragged, but it won’t happen. 

Staring gap-jawed at the screen, I utterly could not believe any public figure would say this. I was STUNNED

• Like 6
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, KingCharlesIII said:

I agree with you 100%.  I can't wait to see the movie, and judge for myself if the movie and Whoopi's performance are Oscar-worthy or not, and judge my opinion against what the Academy believes. 

That said, there's no denying Whoopi has quite an unfair advantage over her competition by having a daily talk show where she can promote her movie as often as she likes right up to the day of nominations, compared to others in the industry who will be competing against her. I have a great suspicion Sarah  purposely said  "There's already buzz about Oscars for the movie" and that statement came out of her mouth scripted by someone else. (Probably the same writers who write down their reactions to products they hawk on VYD).  And I have a suspicion there's going to be much more of those scripted statements coming from her co-hosts and celebrity guests once the movie gets released later this month (no matter if those statements are well-deserved or not).   It's going to be an interesting 4 months moving forward. 

I’ve never seen Whoopi or any of the cohosts do that for the other movies she’s done during her years in this show. Or any pimping for Emmys for her guest spots on television. Does she talk about the movies? Yes. Why not? But I don’t expect them to talk about it constantly.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I am having a hard time getting into this new season. The animosity is there...

There is not much fun. 

Whoopi is maddening usually when she has to do her job and go to commercial. It is time consuming and annoying.

I miss Joy and hope she is celebrating her birthday in Italy.

• Like 4

Then why the hell don’t they fire/demote Whoops for her perennial misuse of her native tongue?  Closing the first segment today she warned us not to assume electoral victory until one’s actually won - “Don’t get complicit!”  Ok, I promise - I won’t become complacent either.  Her frequent errors, bathroom language, etc., are embarrassing for the moderator of The View, imo.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, RedElf said:

Didn't they fire Nicolle Wallace because of her disdain for celebrity gossip?

They did.  Which is weird, because nothing on NW's resume or media history would lead one to believe she was comfortable with dishing or pop culture.  NW wasn't a good fit with The View, she doesn't speak in word salad, she isn't a prude or a spewer of half-truths.  Currently, she is kicking ass on MSNBC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I thought both Huma Abedin and Sunny looked very pretty today. Good to hear Both/And is being turned into a series!

I like the dress Sunny had on but i kept waiting for her to yell 'sock it to me' haha 👢🧦👙

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

They did.  Which is weird, because nothing on NW's resume or media history would lead one to believe she was comfortable with dishing or pop culture.  NW wasn't a good fit with The View, she doesn't speak in word salad, she isn't a prude or a spewer of half-truths.  Currently, she is kicking ass on MSNBC.

I remember on her last day Nicole showed that she could discuss pop culture by mentioning certain celebrities.  You could tell that she was shaken up and was throwing some well-deserved barbs at the producers of the show.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, KingCharlesIII said:

Nothing she has done in the past 15 years compares to this movie 'Till'. As someone else said, this is her 'labor of love'. From what I've read, she's been working on this since 2005 to get it made; she not only co-stars in this but she has co-producer credits as well. So she has two chances of getting an Oscar - for Best Picture, and for Best Supporting Actress. I'll be shocked if she doesn't continue to use this live daily platform all the way to nominations, and possibly beyond. 

Just today when Tamron Hall came out, she let everyone know she was sharing the table with an EGOT winner, and the other day, Reese Witherspoon did the same thing (lest we and the Oscar voters forget).

So I guess you were shocked today!  LOL.

• LOL 2