Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 39 (2022-2023)

Athena
  • Start Topic

9 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Still, an 8-track player in a car?  Those things were fairly sensitive, so didn't they skip a lot?

I don't remember a big skipping issue (we had one in the car, and one in a boombox), but I do remember a few getting eaten; sometimes we could get it out intact and re-spool it, but somethings you just cut it and tossed it to save the player.

(Obviously, that's more memorable than skipping, so it may indeed be that skipping was a recurring annoyance and it's simply not still in my memory after all these decades.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Edited to note: I wonder if you might recognize the song if you heard it but maybe don't know the title?

Do-do-do-do-do, do, do, do-do-do-do
Do-do-do-do-do, do, do, do-do
Do-do-do-do-do, do, do, do-do-do-do
Do-do-do-do-do, do, do, do-do

(those are the only lyrics I sing along with)

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 5

I won't forget seeing an iPod in a museum a few years ago!  I am one who uses my smartphone for mobile music, but I still think it's too bad Apple has discontinued it.  I know a few who swear by theirs.  One doesn't want to have her expensive phone out while she's on transit etc.  Another finds it more convenient to use the smaller and lighter iPod when he's out running.  It doesn't sound like those who are in the market for a simple MP3 player want big updates, so I would've thought this product could be kept in the lineup without much expense even if it is not as popular as it was.

Interesting to read various thoughts about Cris.  For me, there's nothing objectionable about him, but I haven't really been moved to root hard for him either.  I tend to connect with more outgoing, but not necessarily animated or effusive, personalities.  In the past, I might have been dazzled by his high level performance in its own right, but somehow right now it feels like more of the same.  So I can go either way - in a tighter game, I'm excited to see the challengers catch up, but if he's way ahead, I want him to go wayyyyy ahead.  Overall, as long as he can keep it up, good for him, in my eyes.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

They should ring in faster, just like any other game with a returning champion.  That's usually what makes the difference.

The Jeopardy! Fan web site keeps statistics on ringing in first. As of last Friday, Cris was ringing in first over 49% of the time. Cris has the buzzer skills for sure.

• Like 2
  • Useful 5
39 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

The Jeopardy! Fan web site keeps statistics on ringing in first. As of last Friday, Cris was ringing in first over 49% of the time. Cris has the buzzer skills for sure.

Somebody had stats of who tried to ring in on each clue and didn't get in first, those I'd like to see because sometimes I think some contestants just forget that they have to ring in.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

This is what bothers me.  He rings in first, gets all the daily doubles (usually), bets big because he has the most money, etc, etc.  It's like he's playing the game all by himself.  I should appreciate how smart he is, but I just don't find this kind of game (or him) fun to watch.

• Like 5
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

This is what bothers me.  He rings in first, gets all the daily doubles (usually), bets big because he has the most money, etc, etc.  It's like he's playing the game all by himself.  I should appreciate how smart he is, but I just don't find this kind of game (or him) fun to watch.

Agreed. We used to play Scrabble with our daughter & SIL. But it didn't take long for the fun to disappear. I asked MrP914 why was the game no longer fun. He said it's because SIL was *only* playing to win (as opposed to playing a game as a social thing, enjoying each other's company, etc). To me, there's a little something of this with Cris. He's a likeable guy, has no irritating tics. But it's like he's on a mission. Anyway that's my take. But I'll be back watching tonight to test my brain power 🤓.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Well, that's on the other contestants for not being fast enough, not on Cris

He is on a mission, to win on Jeopardy.  That should be all their missions.  It's not about being social and enjoying each other's company.

I agree. I never understand when people complain that contestants answer too many questions.  That's literally why they are there.  That' snot to say that I don't understand how one player getting run away after run away can get old, but the contestant is doing nothing wrong by doing so.

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
  • Love 6

I don't believe I said anything about Cris having to play like he should lose.  I said I prefer a more competitive game.  It's more fun to watch.  Even Ken gets more excited when it's not a runaway. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

I don't believe I said anything about Cris having to play like he should lose.  I said I prefer a more competitive game.  It's more fun to watch.  Even Ken gets more excited when it's not a runaway. 

There were 2 games last week that were not runaway and a third where Cris got off to a slow start and was trailing at the start of Double Jeopardy. I prefer some suspense but I can enjoy the mixture of runaways and nailbiters, especially when it's not a foregone conclusion too early in the game. Although given the dollar values is there any Single [sorry/not sorry] Jeopardy score that is truly insurmountable when Double Jeopardy gets going? 

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Well, that's on the other contestants for not being fast enough, not on Cris

He is on a mission, to win on Jeopardy.  That should be all their missions.  It's not about being social and enjoying each other's company.

I knew someone would pick up on my comment re: being sociable during a *family* board game. I don't expect any of these contestants to be sociable.  It's tough enough to qualify and then, once on the stage, to still be competitive with a goal toward winning. But one can look at Amy, Ken, Ryan, Matt, Mattea, and other mega winners, to see the difference. Even James! He was a master at the game but he never looked so driven. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Somebody had stats of who tried to ring in on each clue and didn't get in first, those I'd like to see because sometimes I think some contestants just forget that they have to ring in.

I don’t think they forget, and I don’t think they’re not fast enough. Knowing exactly when to hit your buzzer is a skill— hit too soon, and you’re locked out; wait a fraction of a second too long, and it’s too late— so finding that sweet spot can make all the difference. This gives long time champs like Cris a huge advantage, because they’ve had weeks of practice. 

This is really the only thing I find kind of “unfair” about the current setup. (“Unfair” in quotes because I don’t think there’s anything rigged about it, but it contributes to a playing field that is not completely level.) I don’t know how the show could take away that advantage, but I would welcome it if they could.

Alternately, there are methods past champs have used to hone their buzzer skills. I’m sure they’re not quite as good as actual experience, but if I were going on the show, I’d be practicing my ass off.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

Since I'll be watching football tonight, I just checked the archive, and, good grief, I did not run a single category in the first round.  I got all but one in half of them, but missed two each in the rest.  I thought for sure I'd run booze, and was excited that was where they went first, but didn't know Boodles.  The only "oo" British gin I know is Bloom, and I was pretty sure that wasn't the slogan.

It was a mixed bag in DJ; I ran quarters, and got all but one in musicals, X, and trees (and might have ran that one had I been able to see the picture of the cannonball tree), but I missed three each in history and myths (well, maybe four there; I'm not sure how mangled my pronunciation of the Aztec god - a name I've only ever read, not heard - came out).

FJ came to me quickly.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1

I thought I'd sweep B"oo"ze too - but I've never heard of Boodles either.  I always order well drinks and don't keep liquor at home, or maybe I might have run across it.  Damn this moderation!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 1

57% / 63% / 61%

Not off to a great start this week…ran Animals in Books, missed two Decimials, Booze, and Lies, three State Capital Nicknames, and four Entertainment Awards. In DJ I ran Musicals by Female Roles, missed one Tree, two Myths and Quarters, and three in History (though I got one part of each of those three, so do I get 3.5 points for the category?) and Starts or Ends with X. Had to think for a few seconds but I got FJ easily. I started high school in 1989; we had an exchange student from Germany my senior year and he brought a piece of the wall in one day.

My TSes were Tale of Despereaux, RENT, and Xinjiang.

I forgot all about Lentils! 🐰

6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Philistine!  To not know Suite: Judy Blue Eyes!  (Just kidding, but I absolutely love that song.)  Edited to note: I wonder if you might recognize the song if you heard it but maybe don't know the title?

I just searched for it on youtube. I'm not sure if the song sounds familiar or if it just sounds like Crosby, Stills & Nash. (If you played it and asked me to guess who sang it, that definitely would be my guess.)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Agreed. We used to play Scrabble with our daughter & SIL. But it didn't take long for the fun to disappear. I asked MrP914 why was the game no longer fun. He said it's because SIL was *only* playing to win (as opposed to playing a game as a social thing, enjoying each other's company, etc). To me, there's a little something of this with Cris. He's a likeable guy, has no irritating tics. But it's like he's on a mission. Anyway that's my take. But I'll be back watching tonight to test my brain power 🤓.

Even though I know a game show is not principally a social occasion, I think I do respond more warmly when a contestant seems to be applauding for the others, getting into their stories, etc.  I have noticed that Cris doesn't do these things, although I try not to hold it against him because I think he just gets "in the zone" to play.  And I certainly wouldn't have it any other way than him doing his best. 

I do think I know what you mean, even if it doesn't map exactly to playing on TV.  I was at a party recently with one person taking a board game far more seriously than the others, and it was terribly awkward.  He repeated his running tally of the score more than necessary, and at one point made to get up from the table and call someone who had just entered the bathroom back to take their turn.  That he just seemed to be on a different page made it uncomfortable.  Cris hasn't done anything like that, but because a highly successful J! contestant is able to stop others from taking a turn, I think it can lead to a similar, and maybe unconscious, feeling that one is playing a different game from the others.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 3

I had no idea on FJ, but when the answer was revealed, I was like, oh OK.

I got the missed clue of Providence.

Not a good night.  I blame Pepper.  She was getting up to shenanigans.  

• Hugs 1
  • Love 1

Almost instaget FJ tonight, and then I tried to second-guess myself before I figured out that 1989 was 20 years before 2009, and stuck with my original response.  Good start to the week, but I feel confident it won't last!

The only TS I got were Providence and Rent.

• Applause 3

Anybody else wonder about the latest jeopardy multi winner how he takes a couple seconds often before answering? Not every time but very often? Like somebody is feeding him answers? Now I’m sure this isn’t happening but it sure looks like it. The more games I watch the more it appears to be exactly what is going on. The ones he knows he answers immediately. But many of the answers it looks as though he is waiting for the answer. 

12 minutes ago, opus said:

Would you accept ‘hooch’ instead of ‘moonshine’ ?

I think you could make an argument for it.

hooch1

/ho͞oCH/

Learn to pronounce

noun

INFORMAL

alcoholic liquor, especially inferior or illicit whiskey.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Pam Tuyls said:

Anybody else wonder about the latest jeopardy multi winner how he takes a couple seconds often before answering? Not every time but very often? Like somebody is feeding him answers? Now I’m sure this isn’t happening but it sure looks like it. The more games I watch the more it appears to be exactly what is going on. The ones he knows he answers immediately. But many of the answers it looks as though he is waiting for the answer. 

First his name is spelled Cris - not Chris. And has been said multiple times, rigging a game show is against federal laws. There is no way showrunners and Sony would violate federal law and risk fines, jail time, and the end of J!.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
6 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

And has been said multiple times, rigging a game show is against federal laws. There is no way showrunners and Sony would violate federal law and risk fines, jail time, and the end of J!.

Exactly.  He is also hardly unique in doing this; champ after champ have said that for any given J! clue, odds are good that at least two if not all three contestants know the correct response, so winning comes down to being first to ring in.  And sometimes that means ringing in before you've come up with the response (or confirmed your first instinct is indeed what you want to go with), and taking those few seconds to answer.

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, opus said:

I don't think so, just because of the wording of the clue (or the quotation marks, more specifically):

Merriam-Webster defines it as "intoxicating liquor" & "especially: illegally distilled corn whiskey"

M-W defines "hooch" as: "alcoholic liquor especially when inferior or illicitly made or obtained"; but the clue is actually quoting their definition of moonshine.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
25 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I'd have to go back (which I won't do) but today it felt like Ken had started his "nnnn" for "no" before Chris clarified his answer. 

I don't think that answer should have been allowed.

Followed by Ken saying he corrected himself in time.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I was surprised that Ben knew the Juno awards (unless it was simply a lucky guess).

It's so painful when the clue specifies the length of a word and a contestant gives an incorrect response with the wrong length. My brain got stuck on paralyze and wanted to say parallax which I knew was wrong, but I was in agony when Ben guessed perplex. It was even worse when Steph came up with flummox instead of lummox.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I'd have to go back (which I won't do) but today it felt like Ken had started his "nnnn" for "no" before Chris clarified his answer. 

I did go back. Ken had not started to say anything. Cris said "Troilus and" then changed his mind and said "Antony and Cleopatra" before Ken ruled. Maybe you heard Cris' "and" and mistook it for Ken's "nnnn"?

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I did go back. Ken had not started to say anything. Cris said "Troilus and" then changed his mind and said "Antony and Cleopatra" before Ken ruled. Maybe you heard Cris' "and" and mistook it for Ken's "nnnn"?

Oh that wasn't the one I was thinking of.  The question/answer I'm thinking of was something where Chris said the answer in the singular form when the response required the plural.  But I can't remember what the question was.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Oh that wasn't the one I was thinking of.  The question/answer I'm thinking of was something where Chris said the answer in the singular form when the response required the plural.  But I can't remember what the question was.

It was “One Direction sang of these title 3-word fibs, ‘you like playing games’”. 
Cris said “What is A Little White Lie?”, Ken said “nnn…”, then Cris corrected himself to “What are Little White Lies?” Even J-Archive has the exchange, so they heard it, too. 

I agree this should have been taken away.

Failure to notice the quotation marks led me to miss FJ. I immediately thought Berlin Wall (even though I wasn’t sure of the exact year it came down), but then talked myself out of it, thinking they wanted something that was built 20 years before the celebration (1989), was an edifice of fear during the celebration, but became a place of joy later that November. For that, I had nothing. Gah.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
On 12/2/2022 at 9:51 PM, SHD said:

For FJ, I yelled “That city that Freud was from!” I’m giving myself a tenth of a point for deciphering that part of the clue. LOL

Ha!  I got the SF portion, but couldn’t decide on Vienna or Salzburg.  So I was back and forth, Vienna, Salzburg, Vienna, Salzburg.  Then in the very last moment I realized that it’s Partner South who is from Salzburg, and blurted out “Vienna!”

• Like 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

It was “One Direction sang of these title 3-word fibs, ‘you like playing games’”. 
Cris said “What is A Little White Lie?”, Ken said “nnn…”, then Cris corrected himself to “What are Little White Lies?” Even J-Archive has the exchange, so they heard it, too. 

I agree this should have been taken away.

Failure to notice the quotation marks led me to miss FJ. I immediately thought Berlin Wall (even though I wasn’t sure of the exact year it came down), but then talked myself out of it, thinking they wanted something that was built 20 years before the celebration (1989), was an edifice of fear during the celebration, but became a place of joy later that November. For that, I had nothing. Gah.

I opted for the Brandenburg Gate.  Though I’d have to look at the wording of the clue again to see if it would have been accepted.

22 minutes ago, South said:

I opted for the Brandenburg Gate.  Though I’d have to look at the wording of the clue again to see if it would have been accepted.

I spent 4 years living in Berlin, so for once I had an FJ instaget. This was the clue:

In 2009, during a 20th anniversary celebration, it was called “an edifice of fear. On Nov. 9, it became a place of joy”

Definitely the Berlin Wall. The Brandenburg Gate was never an edifice of fear. The quote in the clue is actually a partial translation of what German President Horst Köhler said in 2009: “The wall was an edifice of fear. On Nov. 9, 20 years ago, it became a place of joy. For 28 years, East Germans could not even approach it. On Nov. 9, 1989, people danced on it – and the world looked different afterward.”

7 hours ago, dcalley said:

Ben had a guaranteed 2nd place but bet a lot (why?!) and ended up in 3rd. He cost himself $1,000!

I thought the exact same thing! Like....why? Did he just do the math incorrectly?

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, dcalley said:

Ben had a guaranteed 2nd place but bet a lot (why?!) and ended up in 3rd. He cost himself $1,000!

Perhaps the money was not that important to him and he was going for the bragging rights of achieving a large end total against a super champ.

I know it’s nothing new, but they really have to have better rules in regards to a contestant changing their answer before the host rules them incorrect. They should just make it that the first answer said is all that is accepted.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I knew someone would pick up on my comment re: being sociable during a *family* board game. I don't expect any of these contestants to be sociable.  It's tough enough to qualify and then, once on the stage, to still be competitive with a goal toward winning. But one can look at Amy, Ken, Ryan, Matt, Mattea, and other mega winners, to see the difference. Even James! He was a master at the game but he never looked so driven. 

I'm sorry if I misunderstand the comparison you were trying to make, although I don't see the point of it otherwise, but I absolutely disagree that Cris looks more driven than many of the other long-term champs on Jeopardy.  I don't see any difference between him and champs like Matt or James.  Mattea, sure, because her personality was clearly very different, but people complained about that.  Plus, there's nothing wrong with being driven on a show where the only point is to win the game.  It's not a show about making friends.

13 hours ago, Pam Tuyls said:

Previous champs who've done that have said they ring in when they think they know the answer but hesitate to be absolutely sure before answering.  It's happened plenty of times with other players in the past.  Matt, for example.

11 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

Has Jeopardy always allowed players to correct their answers?  

Yes, as long as they do it before the host rules their initial answer as incorrect.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4
Just now, proserpina65 said:

Previous champs who've done that have said they ring in when they think they know the answer but hesitate to be absolutely sure before answering.  It's happened plenty of times with other players in the past.  Matt, for example.

It's a thing that a lot of poker players do as well. Even though they know what they are going to do next when it is their turn they will wait 5 seconds like they are thinking about it and just to be consistent as well as double check nothing has changed.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm not a boomer, but am Gen X.  A lot of the things which were a big deal when they first came out during my youth are long gone, so I understand completely.  Still, an 8-track player in a car?  Those things were fairly sensitive, so didn't they skip a lot?

I'm a boomer who never had an 8track, nor did I ever ride with anyone who did. I did know about them though.

15 hours ago, opus said:

see below

15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I don't think so, just because of the wording of the clue (or the quotation marks, more specifically):

Merriam-Webster defines it as "intoxicating liquor" & "especially: illegally distilled corn whiskey"

M-W defines "hooch" as: "alcoholic liquor especially when inferior or illicitly made or obtained"; but the clue is actually quoting their definition of moonshine.

I was going to (tentatively) say that moonshine is hooch, but not all hooch is moonshine (which is a specific type of hooch). I'm not very familiar with booze in general, but did have a grandpa who ran moonshine.

8 hours ago, South said:

Ha!  I got the SF portion, but couldn’t decide on Vienna or Salzburg.  So I was back and forth, Vienna, Salzburg, Vienna, Salzburg.  Then in the very last moment I realized that it’s Partner South who is from Salzburg, and blurted out “Vienna!”

My family is from Salzburg, and just visited Vienna this year (my first trip abroad in 40 years). So I managed it.

I had to do a little mental math (not my strong suit) but got to the Berlin Wall in enough time.

Otherwise it was a mediocre game for me (translated for you high achievers:  a terrible game)

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, Clanstarling said:

I had to do a little mental math (not my strong suit) but got to the Berlin Wall in enough time.

Otherwise it was a mediocre game for me (translated for you high achievers:  a terrible game)

I had a very hit or miss game myself, and didn't even get close to having any answer for FJ.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Same with me. It took me awhile to subtract 20 from 2009, but then I tentatively guessed Berlin Wall, and got it. Whew!

• Applause 2

I wouldn't mind some kind of reform to the rules about when and how self-correction is allowed.  I like Ken very much, but he has a habit of saying "nnnnnn...?" while waiting for the judge in his ear, in such a way that he might as well say "ooooh, so close, try that again."  They can't anticipate every possible such situation, and perhaps they do not want the host making these calls unilaterally, but I think they could be a little crisper at times, and it would be a good thing.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 5
  • Love 3

73% / 43% / 57%

Did pretty well in the first round. Didn't run anything but I missed only two each in Rubbery and Arm and one in everything else. Then it was all downhill from there…failed Geography completely, missed one Animal, two Royalty and 7-Letter Words, three Debut Albums, and four in Blood, Sweat & Tears. Couldn't come up with FJ. All I could think of was The Little Mermaid but I knew that was wrong. 

TSes were The Little Prince, advertising, brick, wendigo, and beluga whale.

Aw, sad that Cris is done but good for Andy. 

Another New Jerseyite coming tomorrow...

• Like 1
  • Love 1