Type keyword(s) to search

Password (2022) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Starring Jimmy Fallon and hosted by Keke Palmer, the iconic word-guessing game features celebrities teaming up with everyday contestants. These teams play a modern and refreshed version of the game that's inspired by classic Password, Password Plus, Super Password and the viral celebrity Password games seen on "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon." Players compete over three rounds of gameplay, taking turns trying to get their partner to guess the password using one-word clues. The team with the most points after two rounds heads to the bonus round, where they have 60 seconds to get the celebrity guests to correctly guess 10 passwords for a chance to win as much as $25,000.

We watched this last night and I liked it.  I thought Keke was great but watching Fallon act like a buffoon every week is going to get old.  Why does he have to be on every week?

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

I liked it enough to keep watching. But I don't like the idea of it being Fallon and Friend each week. Still, I guess it's a small price  to pay to bring it back. 

I do like they did mention Betty White at the start; I'm sure they really wanted to have her do some episodes as they were planning this, but sadly, the Big Guy upstairs needed her more. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Love 1

I thought this was not far from the best adaptation of the "Password" format that one could reasonably expect in the current TV landscape.  Put another way, the things that annoyed me seem to be nearly inevitable these days.

I liked the blend of elements from the earlier "1 self-contained word at a time" format and the later "5 words add up to help you solve a puzzle" format with the "10 words in 60 seconds" bonus round.

The gameplay was solid, although I fear it may vary with the celebs.  I hope they got "it's not Gramps' 'Password,' here's a dirty joke" out of their system with Uranus.  However mild, I think there's a time and place to keep it clean, and a slippery slope to the current state of "Family Feud."

The bonus round has the most room for improvement.  The pause after 30 seconds drains the tension - just let the player pick one celeb and do it all at once.  I also thought the words were too easy and an illegal clue should have forfeited the top prize, not led to a replacement word. 

Also, didn't they say before the first bonus round that the celeb could only guess once before the player had to give another clue?  They seemed to break that rule when Jimmy guessed "quick" and then "quiz," but still gave the credit for it.

Kiki was doing way too much mugging, and the affected Jackée voice really grated, but maybe she'll calm down.  The standing ovations and gasps and so on were too histrionic, but that seems to be the fashion.  I guess it's not a dealbreaker for me, just one of those things.

I don't know very much about Kimmel since I virtually never watch late-night.  I get that this is a pet / vanity project for him but I don't think he is needed in every episode.  He struck me as a bit condescending - "buddy" is how you address a toddler, not a fellow adult.

But hey, as Allen Ludden once said, "Password's back!"  They got a lot closer to what I look for than "Million Dollar Password" with Regis 15 years ago.  I've been looking forward to it and think I will enjoy it even if it's not perfect.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, argrow said:

I couldn't deal with it. From Fallon's buffoonery to the very loud audience that stands up every time a password is guessed correctly, there is just too much happening for me.

I had mixed feelings. I'm giving it another try tonight but man, so much screaming. (It's the same reason I only managed one episode of Press Your Luck when that first got rebooted.) Also not sure how much of Keke saying "that's not the password" every time they guess wrong I can take. I do enjoy the game itself, though it's not one I watched as a kid.

5 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I hope they got "it's not Gramps' 'Password,' here's a dirty joke" out of their system with Uranus.  However mild, I think there's a time and place to keep it clean, and a slippery slope to the current state of "Family Feud."

I felt like they were giving it away just by being so childish about it. Gee, what's a planet that makes 12-year-olds giggle?

5 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I don't know very much about Kimmel since I virtually never watch late-night.  I get that this is a pet / vanity project for him but I don't think he is needed in every episode.  He struck me as a bit condescending - "buddy" is how you address a toddler, not a fellow adult.

I like Jimmy Fallon in small doses. The Tonight Show youtube page has a playlist of the "Hashtags" segment he does, which is the only thing I usually watch on there...but he and his sidekick (whose name I don't even know) sometimes go a little too long on the silly side comments to the point that it gets really annoying. 

• Love 1

Well, I watched the first one with John Hamm, and I thought, they’re a little over the top but if they settle down it could be fun. Now I’m about 3/4 through the Heidi Klum episode, and they’ve cranked it up another 50%. It’s like my family is playing a game - the rules are just rough guidelines and talking it out is fair game. I’m missing “Wheel” and “just say the answer, don’t add anything”. Actually it’s still kind of fun. 

6 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Heidi Klum was not a good choice for this particular show. She didn't understand more than half of the clues, and what the heck does urination have to do with a peacock?

Oh you’re not six?  Pee?

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

WTF was with Heidi dancing around during the bonus round? How distracting for the player. And annoying for the viewer (this viewer, at least).

She really doesn't do anything to dispel the stereotype of the dumb blonde model, does she? She didn't even get "Victoria's" Secret and she modeled for them for 13 years.

7 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

and what the heck does urination have to do with a peacock?

Only as a somewhat vulgar pun (if you're a man you 'pee' from your...😏) which no one was gonna get.

As I've had nothing positive to say, apparently, I will add that I did like Keke's outfit tonight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

She really doesn't do anything to dispel the stereotype of the dumb blonde model, does she? She didn't even get "Victoria's" Secret and she modeled for them for 13 years.

Heidi's contestant said "winner." I think she thought Heidi's clue was "victorious"?

Yeah, I wouldn't have gotten peacock from urination in a million years, based on that. I am not six or twelve, apparently. LOL.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, argrow said:

I couldn't deal with it. From Fallon's buffoonery to the very loud audience that stands up every time a password is guessed correctly, there is just too much happening for me.

They need to learn from Betty White - the show is about helping the contestant win not about the celebrity. Just like with the reboot of To Tell the Truth, the celebrity becomes the focus of the show over everything else. Fine if you like Fallon's buffoonery but isn't that what he has The Tonight Show for?

Edited by ILuvShibaInus
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, 853fisher said:

The gameplay was solid, although I fear it may vary with the celebs.  I hope they got "it's not Gramps' 'Password,' here's a dirty joke" out of their system with Uranus.  However mild, I think there's a time and place to keep it clean, and a slippery slope to the current state of "Family Feud."

"Package" was a bit of a an in-joke with Hamm since he's rumored to generously endowed. 

1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Heidi Klum was not a good choice for this particular show. She didn't understand more than half of the clues, and what the heck does urination have to do with a peacock?

As someone already said pee.  You could tell they wanted to give clues for the "cock" part of the clue as well. 

41 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I thought she was fine.  Maybe not as good as Hamm but she got six with the second round guy.  And his round had some harder words, I thought.

Someone critiquing the show said it felt like Palmer was playing at being a host instead of just being a host.  I think as she gets more used to this, it'll be more natural.  She has great energy, though and in spite of that, I still like her as a host.

I think I'd like this show a little better if they sped things up with fewer shenanigans in between clues/games.  But I do like people who can give expressive clues.  For instance, I love what the one guy did for braces where he kept his teeth together while saying straighteners.  It's too bad he fell apart a bit in the bonus round.

Okay, it’s like TBTB overheard me watching The Chase and said, oh, you don’t like it when we do everything we can to make sure the contestants don’t win? Let’s do everything we can to make sure they do win!  

Redemption round? I’m there for it!

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I was so lookiing forward to Password when I found out a reboot was coming.  Oh boy!  Boy was I disappointed!  First and foremost, Keke Palmer has to go!  She's not a good host and makes it all about herself.  The "password dude" who announces the word has to go also!  He sounds like a surfer dude.  Jimmy Fallon just adds too much sillyness for me.  The crowd giving a standing ovation after every guessed word is lame.  I had to watch the original Password and Password Plus for me to take away the bad taste in my mouth...lol!  This is what I would recommend to fix this show if the TPTB won't cancel the show...

1.  Get rid of the Palmer and find a host that has the experience in hosting game shows.

2.  Go back and look at the original shows and go from there

3.  Take the audience out of the equation.  We don't need to see them!

4.  Get rid of the "surfer dude" who announces the password!

5.  Don't make the contestants become clowns. 

6.  In the Bonus round, have the contestant choose one celebrity and stick with them to guess the word in 30 seconds.  If they don't complete it, too bad!  If they say an illegal word they can't go back and get a new word.  Don't make it so easy for the contestant to win.

7.  Get rid of Keke Palmer!   

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 5

I’ve been watching old episodes on the Buzzer channel.  Allen Ludden is the gold standard as the host - by far!  Even Bert Convy got on my nerves on Super Password because he inserted himself into the game too much.  But Keke Palmer?  Insufferable!!!  She needs to be replaced yesterday.  As someone upthread said, she’s playing at being a game show host, not hosting.  I skipped the second episode but I may give it one more try.  We’ll see . . .

• Like 3
  • Love 4

I thought the first ep with Jon Hamm was okay, he balanced it out somewhat even though I find Fallon insufferable. But I had to turn off the second episode with Heidi Klum. Man, everything was too OTT, more than I could handle. Didn't even make it halfway. Why does every "game" show have to be so "in your face" these days.

• Love 7

I gave this a try but I think I am out after the second episode.  There is just too much playing to the audience and WAY too much Jimmy Fallon. And what is with repeating a password on only the second episode?? I am sad because I have really fond memories of Password from my childhood, but this is not the show I love and remember.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 8/10/2022 at 2:20 PM, 853fisher said:

I would probably like this show 100x more if it was Jimmy Kimmel on it instead of Fallon.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5

I agree with the general consensus that the second episode was a move in the wrong direction.  Heidi's dancing around at the end was ridiculous, but I thought she did a fair job, especially after the lowered expectations that come from telling anyone who would listen to use small words you're familiar with.  Hasn't she lived and worked in English speaking countries for decades?

When the "Alphabetics" bonus round was introduced in 1979, you'd win $100 per word if you missed the $5000 jackpot, so up to $900/$5000 or 18%.  The percentage crept down as they started adding any $5000 not won to a jackpot fund - the highest it ever got was $55000 - $900/$55000 is 1.6%  Now, you could win as much as $9000 and double it to $18000 - $18000/$25000 is 72%.

That's just a bit of math that interested me.  I think, if I had no prior knowledge of the show, I might think it was sort of neat that contestants get so many chances to win good money.  For no particular reason I tend to think there should be just a bit more of a gap between the top prize and the not-quite money, but they're playing it much more light than suspenseful, so I guess it works.

$5000 in 1979, by the way, would be just over $20000 today.  So that's roughly comparable, with a bit of the traditional bump in prizes from daytime to nighttime shows.

2 hours ago, SHD said:

I would probably like this show 100x more if it was Jimmy Kimmel on it instead of Fallon.

Oops!  I do know they're different people, honest. ;)

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 3

This was…A Lot.  So much screaming and carrying on!  Betty White would never!  By the second episode I got really good at using my “skip 30 seconds” button to move quickly through the nonsense.  I didn’t need to hear The Voice say what the Password was (it’s right on the screen, and I can read), and one tap of that button usually put me right at the first clue.  MUCH better viewing experience.

ETA:  I don't remember if they did this in other versions, but I didn't like that they kept putting the Password on the screen (after the initial "The Password is...." reveal).  I tried to close my eyes and mute the reveal so I could play along, and then the word popped up on the screen again, womp-womp.  Did this bug anyone else?  I could just "watch" with my eyes closed, but then I miss facial expressions that are so important to the clue-giving.  And MAN, I'm sounding like an ablist asshole here, so I should probably just shut up now...

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Lovecat said:

ETA:  I don't remember if they did this in other versions, but I didn't like that they kept putting the Password on the screen (after the initial "The Password is...." reveal).  I tried to close my eyes and mute the reveal so I could play along, and then the word popped up on the screen again, womp-womp.  Did this bug anyone else?  I could just "watch" with my eyes closed, but then I miss facial expressions that are so important to the clue-giving.  And MAN, I'm sounding like an ablist asshole here, so I should probably just shut up now...

Maybe stick a post-it note (or two or three, depending on the size of your TV) over where the password appears on the screen?

• Useful 1
On 8/11/2022 at 11:14 PM, Lovecat said:

My memory is that original password also left the word on screen throughout the round, except for 1 or 2 play-at-home cloaked words each episode.

I was pleasantly surprised by this, as I mostly hate the recent game show reboots (Match Game, I’m looking at you.) I particularly enjoyed the first episode, as Jon Hamm and Jimmy Fallon had an easy rapport and the contestants seemed like normal, albeit energetic, people. But then came the second episode…

• The consensus at my house was that Jimmy indulged in a bit of, um, recreational activity between episodes. (I assume they tape 3-4 at a time.) He was way too wired and jumpy.
  • I usually like Heidi, but she was extremely annoying. I don’t think there was anyone who wasn’t distracted by that weird dancing, including her.
  • The contestants were over the top as well. What did that one guy do, a dinosaur dance? Not cute.

I liked that they duplicated so much from the previous incarnations, but the final round is too easy and I agree that they should choose one celebrity or the other. (I guess they don’t want to hurt supermodel feelings.) Plus that second chance round has to go. If everyone wins, there is no suspense and the achievement is never special. I want to see what will happen if they don’t win second chance… will there be a third and a fourth? Will those rounds get increasingly easier? “Name the game we are playing.” “Password?” “Yay! You win!!” 

I wish they had done this a few years ago, because Betty White would have been a perfect host. (I like that she was remembered in the credits, although a little acknowledgment for Allen Ludden would have been nice, too.) I didn’t hate Keke Palmer, though. She could dial it back a wee bit, but I generally found her likeable and I think she’ll grow into this.

On 8/10/2022 at 9:54 PM, Irlandesa said:

Someone critiquing the show said it felt like Palmer was playing at being a host instead of just being a host.  

Was it Mayim Bialik? (Sorry, in-joke for my Jeopardy peeps.)

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 8/11/2022 at 3:53 PM, SHD said:

Ditto.  Nothing against Fallon at all.  Both are doing rather well as nighttime hosts, but Kimmel has rather legit gameshow hosting experience going back decades.

As mentioned, the password on the screen is definitely not new.  Not a big deal; this is the case for Pyramid

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Carey said:

Ditto.  Nothing against Fallon at all.  Both are doing rather well as nighttime hosts, but Kimmel has rather legit gameshow hosting experience going back decades.

Did Jimmy Fallon's music/celebrity game show get cancelled after only a few episodes? I forgot what it was called but he got to act as manic as he wanted and was a much better fit than Password, which by tradition should be more sedate, lol.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, kassandra8286 said:

Did Jimmy Fallon's music/celebrity game show get cancelled after only a few episodes? I forgot what it was called but he got to act as manic as he wanted and was a much better fit than Password, which by tradition should be more sedate, lol.

Nope.  At least not yet.  NBC renewed it for a second season, and I'm guessing that they'll run it starting late this year and then ending early in 2023 after about a half dozen episodes

• Useful 1

Megan, earlier: "I'm good at this!!!!!"
Me, after the first bonus round: ..are you sure about that?

Jimmy's on every episode, how is he a "special guest"?

Next episode is Martin Short. He should be fun.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Meghan Trainor was maddening.  She really cost the players when she froze in the $25K rounds.

I love Jimmy Fallon — I love his spirit and genuine heart and he’s so sharp so he’s good to have on your side.  Yes, he gets wound up but I generally don’t mind.  He was great with John Hamm.  Tonight it almost seemed like Jimmy wanted to tell Meghan to calm down — she was ridiculous.  

I didn’t see the Heidi Klum episode but I could have guessed that she’d be awful.  That is such a disservice to the contestants and it’s NOT fun to watch shows with airheads.  

KeKe is growing on me, but she is just on the borderline of making it a bit too “look at me” which is not the mark of a good emcee / host.  

I enjoy it and will stick with it.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Meghan Trainor was maddening.  She really cost the players when she froze in the $25K rounds.

I found myself screaming at the screen "ask for a clue, you dumb bitch." I raaarely use that word but it just flew out of my mouth as she stood there hemming and hawing and looking up.  I'd assume the letters are somewhere. 

I do think this is one of the biggest disadvantages to having Jimmy as a host.  He has done this so often that he's quite practiced.  A bad celeb could tank a contestant's chances.

Although he's also responsible for not getting "breakfast."  I think it's pretty clear that she was going backwards with her head and they went in the wrong direction.

For Cosmo, I would've gone with Kramer.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

as she stood there hemming and hawing and looking up.  I'd assume the letters are somewhere. 

They even reminded her at least twice to say "clue" and it still took her forever to do it.

I, too, thought of Kramer and I'm not even a Seinfeld fan.

I really just want everyone on stage, especially Keke, to take it down a few notches.  It's just a word game for a relatively modest (among contemporary game shows) sum, not Ali vs Frazier.  Relax.  The high octane is not needed.

2 clues into a word, that can't even decide the round, and Keke's already shouting about how she's going to need therapy?  Yes, it'll be interesting to see how they get to "tummy," but just take it easy, for goodness sake.  (I also just don't in general like casual / flip references to needing mental health assistance, but that's my baggage.)

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

I really just want everyone on stage, especially Keke, to take it down a few notches.  It's just a word game for a relatively modest (among contemporary game shows) sum, not Ali vs Frazier.  Relax.

OMG yes please. The women screaming at the beginning of the Martin Short episode made me want to curl into a ball and cover my ears.

Loved the Betty White flashback.

Last night they had tummy, and used belly as a clue. Tonight they have belly and used tummy as a clue...

• Like 4
3 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I really just want everyone on stage, especially Keke, to take it down a few notches.  It's just a word game for a relatively modest (among contemporary game shows) sum, not Ali vs Frazier.  Relax.  The high octane is not needed.

Given my viewing of current/modern Family Feud and The Price is Right, I guess I can tolerate the over the top nonsense.  It still doesn't hurt to relax a minute.  I think Keke deserves a pass.  As time goes by, she'll get to the point of a veteran.  At least she may have the chance to.  The criticism is fair game, but in time she'll learn & adapt to a more professional role, while doing what works for her.  For what it's worth, she's with Jimmy on the show; not  George F Will or Bob Schieffer or somebody similar.  Fallon is outgoing; coupled with who Keke is, it's not a surprise

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Everything I kind of hated in previous episodes, I kind of loved tonight. I guess I'm just a Martin Short fan.  I loved the flashbacks.  I loved the trash talk between Short and Fallon. 

And what a refreshing change in celeb contestants.  Yes, Short made some bone-headed mistakes but he was pretty solid in the beginning rounds and pretty terrific in the final rounds.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
On 8/17/2022 at 6:22 PM, 853fisher said:

This is, by far, the worst part of the show and makes it one of the worst remakes of the older game shows (Leslie Jones and all of her yelling and screaming on Supermarket Sweep is a distant second). Fallon jumping and running around after every answer and the standing ovations for good clues is absolutely ridiculous. It makes it very difficult to watch.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3

This applies to ALL of the Modern game shows... I'm just getting sick and tired of ALL THE SHOUTING. 

EVERYONE IS ALWAY SHOUTING AND SHOUTING AND SHOUTING AND SHOUTING LOUDER.

I grew up in the 80's golden age of game shows, and maybe my rose coloured glasses are on, but they always felt more sedate, more respectful. The prizes weren't always LIFE CHANGING, but often nice to haves, and everyone seemed ot have fun for the most part. Even the excitable shows like Press Your Luck or Card Sharks weren't as screamy as they are today. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
On 8/17/2022 at 12:42 AM, Irlandesa said:

Although he's also responsible for not getting "breakfast."  I think it's pretty clear that she was going backwards with her head and they went in the wrong direction.

Especially when she had just done the exact same action with the January password (February + head tilt) and Meghan managed to figure that one out.

9 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

On the old password, we’re they able to make expressions and use words that sound alike when giving clues?

Yeah, pretty much, at least on the Password Plus and Super Password versions. If If there was “too much expression” was always a judges call, and going for the rhyme was risky, sometimes worked, sometimes didn’t.

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings on this episode.  Jimmy and JB to a lesser extent hurt the first woman.  The second "winner" wasn't that good so I knew he wouldn't win but the first woman was giving good clues.  So that was frustrating.

But because some of the exchanges were solved at the 2 or 3 point level, I think there were more words.  And because there were more words, there was less time for shenanigans.  That was edited out and it ended up being a calmer game than I expected. I liked that part about it.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 2
On 8/10/2022 at 9:36 AM, KeithJ said:

We watched this last night and I liked it.  I thought Keke was great but watching Fallon act like a buffoon every week is going to get old.  Why does he have to be on every week?

Exactly!!! Just like on The Tonight Show, he makes everything all about him.

• Love 1
On 8/17/2022 at 10:02 PM, Carey said:

Given my viewing of current/modern Family Feud and The Price is Right, I guess I can tolerate the over the top nonsense.  It still doesn't hurt to relax a minute.  I think Keke deserves a pass.  As time goes by, she'll get to the point of a veteran.  At least she may have the chance to.  The criticism is fair game, but in time she'll learn & adapt to a more professional role, while doing what works for her.  For what it's worth, she's with Jimmy on the show; not  George F Will or Bob Schieffer or somebody similar.  Fallon is outgoing; coupled with who Keke is, it's not a surprise

The producers of the show (Isn't Jimmy Kimmel one of them) know what they have in Keke.  They probably wanted someone that's over the top.  That's why they chose her.  I don't think she'll change.  I saw one and a half episodes and that was enough for me.

Not sure it's that much of a downgrade.  For what it's worth, it's more favorable as several people don't sleep in late on Wednesdays.  Plus, we're getting close to the TV year and there aren't that many first run episodes left