Type keyword(s) to search

Password (2022) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Now that is how you DO it, people!  Tonight was a Master Class.  Both winning contestants were super sharp, Jimmy was very steady and solid, and Chelsea Handler did a terrific job.  Fun, fun show tonight.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I wasn't a Kiki fan but she's growing on me, so ....

Same here!  Wasn’t a fan, and now I am so fond of her.  I hope NBC gives this show a chance and I hope they pay attention to how much better the show is when (a) they don’t get so silly / wound up and just play good, strong games and (b) they don’t think it’s “cute” to have ditzy celebs who are just infuriating to watch.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Now that is how you DO it, people!  Tonight was a Master Class.  Both winning contestants were super sharp, Jimmy was very steady and solid, and Chelsea Handler did a terrific job.  Fun, fun show tonight.  

The final contests for both of the winning contestants were very good.  Everyone was on and paid attention to the letters. 

But I thought the games to get there were downright excruciating.  The woman in the first round was so bad.  And everyone in the second round was giving some very strange clues.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But I thought the games to get there were downright excruciating.  The woman in the first round was so bad.  And everyone in the second round was giving some very strange clues.

Note to the ones behind-the-scenes choosing the Password.  You could tell that neither of the contestants was familiar with the word "bidet".  Yeah, the clues got pretty weird.

• Like 1

Yeah, "Bidet" was tricky, but it was bad luck that the contestants didn't know the word.

"Prude" was another difficult word that (thankfully) Kiki burned. I love that they left that reaction in. Has that ever happened (on camera) in the older series? 

"Oscar" was so obvious for "Grouch", I'm still shaking my head that they did two different words for it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I just discovered this and loved it!  I'll have to check out previous episodes OnDemand.

15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

How do you not say Oscar for grouch?

2 hours ago, Taeolas said:

"Oscar" was so obvious for "Grouch", I'm still shaking my head that they did two different words for it. 

There has to be a reason for it, right?  Copyright?  No proper pronouns?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Taeolas said:

"Prude" was another difficult word that (thankfully) Kiki burned. I love that they left that reaction in. Has that ever happened (on camera) in the older series? 

Back when "Super Password" did passwords which became clues to a larger puzzle, Bert Convy occasionally gave away puzzles, with comments like "wouldn't it be wacky if it was [the correct answer]?"  They loved to leave those in and play them for laughs (and while I'm sure this wasn't a primary consideration, I bet they didn't mind eating up a puzzle's worth of time without having to award money).  I don't remember any host giving the password away exactly as Keke did, but I'd be surprised if it hadn't happened.

2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

There has to be a reason for [not cluing Oscar for Grouch], right?  Copyright?  No proper pronouns?

I think it just didn't come to them, for whatever reason.  But I'm with you - that's the first thing I thought of.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

There has to be a reason for it, right?  Copyright?  No proper pronouns?

I skimmed the wikipedia page and it says that proper nouns/names were allowed, at least in previous incarnations. I haven't registered whether they've used names before in this version so far.

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I skimmed the wikipedia page and it says that proper nouns/names were allowed, at least in previous incarnations. I haven't registered whether they've used names before in this version so far.

In one of the previous episodes, Keke said she would have said Sia for the "chandelier" password. She might have been just talking, but names are probably allowed. I don't know why they wouldn't be.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I loved Kiki’s wide eyed, small voiced “I made a mistake.” That was funny. I can see where she might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I’m enjoying her. She’s relaxed, she’s gracious, and she seems to be having a genuinely good time. 

I also don’t mind Jimmy, although I don’t think he needs to be on every. damn. time. But at least he’s consistent, and his presence ensures that at least one of the celebrities can play. What if the contestants got stuck with two Meghan Trainors? Two Chelsea Handlers would be awesome, though.

Add me to the Oscar and Jiminy screen-yelling chorus. Seemed so obvious.

• Applause 2
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Well, darn — I was looking forward to a new Password but tonight was a repeat of Martin Short.  I enjoyed Martin so much the first go-round, but couldn’t rewatch the overly goofy lady in blue.  

Yeah, I don't see this being a show I'll want to watch in reruns. I guess it was because it's a holiday week? Just saw an ad for next week with Tony Hale.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Just saw an ad for next week with Tony Hale.

Also next week is an all celeb charity edition with Jimmy, Yvette Nicole Brown, Joel McHale, and Chrissy Metz.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I felt bad for the guy who had both celebs mess up in the same way and cause the turn to be forfeited.

I did too — that absolutely stunk.  I expected Tony Hale to be a little sharper but he was still fun.  I sure do enjoy Jimmy and KeKe and the show overall.  All celebrity final show of the season tomorrow??  Darn -- over too soon!

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 4

That was fun.  KeKe as a player was gooooood.  I love Yvette Nicole Brown so much.  Always get a kick out of cheeky Joel McHale.  Chrissy did a good job — I just never watched This Is Us (unlike every season of Community) so I don’t know her at all.  

Hope TPTB decide on a 2nd season.  

• Like 5
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

That was fun.  KeKe as a player was gooooood

There are other game shows where I’d like to see the host take a turn as a player. Lookin’ at you, Michael Strahan on Pyramid, who always comes up with the perfect clue after the players bomb out :-)

Some of the over-the-top stuff like the clapping and chanting was a bit much for me, and the rule about gestures seemed like a game of chicken with the judges, but overall I enjoyed it. 9/10. Would watch again. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I'll give Strahan a pass.  IMO, it's pretty much what Clark did at that point.  Similar to Trebek, he just read the answers LOL!  It would be great to see him play the game though!

Speaking of other hosts, I may be the first to think of this (as being an OK idea), even though Keke is the actual host, the face of the show was Fallon.  Whenever Steve Harvey retires from Family Feud, I think we might have a capable replacement on that show in Jimmy.  JMO.

What also helps is a second season, and I think Password did well & warrants one.  Whether that's between the fall and spring season or next summer who knows

• Like 2
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Carey said:

I'll give Strahan a pass.  IMO, it's pretty much what Clark did at that point.  Similar to Trebek, he just read the answers LOL!  It would be great to see him play the game though!

Speaking of other hosts, I may be the first to think of this (as being an OK idea), even though Keke is the actual host, the face of the show was Fallon.  Whenever Steve Harvey retires from Family Feud, I think we might have a capable replacement on that show in Jimmy.  JMO.

What also helps is a second season, and I think Password did well & warrants one.  Whether that's between the fall and spring season or next summer who knows

That would be a waste of Fallon's talents.  Just sayin'.

Totally agree that this show definitely warrants a second season!!

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:
27 minutes ago, Carey said:

Expand  

That would be a waste of Fallon's talents.  Just sayin'.

Totally agree that this show definitely warrants a second season!!

Yeah it would be.  FWIW, what would make it credible would be if he took control and made it his own.  Jimmy taking over + the show staying in the current format would taint his career LOL

3 hours ago, Carey said:

This is the direction I would like to see Password follow....

.  Get rid of Keke

.  Get rid of Fallon

.  Bring back the original format

.  Celebs can still have fun and be funny without acting stupid!

.  Get a host that that has experience at being a good host and doesn't make it about them.

.  Get rid of "surfer dude"!  You know, the guy that announces the password.

.  Make the bonus round more challenging. 

.  Stop with the over the top contestants!

I know the show won't do these things.  It's just a shame that the show can be so much better! 

• Applause 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Carey said:

Oh, I didn't mean my comment as a dig against Strahan!  I really would like to see how he'd do, not in a snarky, "let's see how you do now, smart guy" kind of way.  He was just the first host that came to mind when I thought about game show hosts taking a turn as players.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 9/15/2022 at 2:50 AM, rr2911 said:

This is the direction I would like to see Password follow....

.  Get rid of Keke

.  Get rid of Fallon

.  Bring back the original format

.  Celebs can still have fun and be funny without acting stupid!

.  Get a host that that has experience at being a good host and doesn't make it about them.

.  Get rid of "surfer dude"!  You know, the guy that announces the password.

.  Make the bonus round more challenging. 

.  Stop with the over the top contestants!

I know the show won't do these things.  It's just a shame that the show can be so much better! 

great points my thoughts 

I would have jimmy host ( he’s almost too good at the game) .  I think he wins most of his games.

i would have a couple of semi permanent celebs.  Joel Mchale, Martin short were great.  Not of fan of Chelsea handler but she was very good and not over the top.  Keke was also good but take it down a notch.

no more out of control contestants, no more hugging, jumping up and down, screaming 

i personally like creepy voiced announcer.

• Love 4
On 9/16/2022 at 3:12 AM, Soapy Goddess said:

I don't know why Fallon chose Keke as host. She's a bit too much.

She did not bother me all season and I liked her... and then the last show she dialed herself to 100... maybe I was already having a bad day, but for some reason she really annoyed me there. Jumping on tables, etc. Just felt tiring to watch, for me.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Joe Manganiello surprised me.  He wasn't just good. He was out of this world at times.  He had almost telepathic connections with the contestants.  And he got so many of the final passwords with the contestants.  I feel bad for the second contestant because Jimmy was just bad. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 5

Thought this was much better than last season.  They definitely toned down the ‘ Tom foolery’ - high fives, giggling, jumping up and down after every clue.  Keke needs to dial it back a notch.  Liked the more subdued Jimmy bit he seemed off.  Didn’t his mom pass away recently?

• Like 2

I have a bone to pick with the rules in the second game of the night.  The password was Ponytail.  After a couple clues, Jimmy said he knew what it was and told his partner to just say anything.  She said pony!  Even though he said he knew what it was, that clue should not have been allowed and it should have gone back to the other team.

Joe was a fantastic celebrity guest. I'm wondering if we should start tracking the A-list Password guests like we do on Pyramid.  He was nailing clues all around. A shame the contestant lost out in the second game, but those last few clues were hard (and Jimmy's game seemed off). Jon even got the final clue but talked himself out of it in the end. 

As for the "ponytail" I don't think she said that, but it sounded like it. I think I heard "phony" (I can't recall for certain now); it was close but still a distinct different word. 

• Like 1

Catching up with last night’s show (Jimmy vs Jimmy). Oh my gosh, if they would cut out the audience reaction shots, we could all get through this in half the time. 

6 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Catching up with last night’s show (Jimmy vs Jimmy). Oh my gosh, if they would cut out the audience reaction shots, we could all get through this in half the time. 

I missed it.  Who was the other Jimmy?  Please don’t tell me it was Kimmel.  

8 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Of course it was Kimmel! 🙂

17 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

7 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Of course it was Kimmel! 🙂

3 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Good to know.

Just as an aside, during the recent writers’ strike, several of the late night hosts put out a series of podcasts. (The Jimmies, Colbert, Seth Meyer, John Oliver.) They really seemed to enjoy each other’s company, but it was clear that the consensus was that Jimmy F was the last in line when the brains were passed out. It’s called Strike Force Five if you want to check it out. 

(edited)

I love hearing the above that Kenan said — I have always believed Jimmy F to be extremely smart.  He is so very quick but he is also deferential to others — he has a different way about him in that he hasn’t cultivated a cerebral persona and he laughs easily.  He’s my #1 of that group.  I just “like” him as someone I’d enjoy knowing, more than some of the other late night guys.  But I know this is the Password forum, not a comparison of late night hosts.  

Back to Password, Joe Manganiello was almost a Password savant when he was on the show — he was unreal!

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 2
On 3/27/2024 at 9:17 PM, SoMuchTV said:

They really seemed to enjoy each other’s company, but it was clear that the consensus was that Jimmy F was the last in line when the brains were passed out.

That's a great podcast, especially after it gets going.  I do think it displayed Fallon's rumored moodiness because I don't think his issue is smarts (although I do think the other guys probably know more things--but Fallon is quick too), but rather he seemed kind of checked out in earlier episodes.  Once he engaged more fully, the podcast improved. 

But the amazing mess that he ended up creating in Ep. 5 either showed us why his producers are so important or was a brilliantly intentional disaster.  Either way, it was one of my favorite podcast episodes I've ever listened to.

The contestants in the latest episode were so frustrating at their guessing half of the response.  Also frustrating was for none of the clue givers to just say "combine" as a clue.  I get that it's hard in front of the lights compared to my couch but I did think it was hilarious.  At least they were evenly matched.

• Like 1

I dont know who Liza Khosy is, but she was waaay too over the top the other night.  She was jumping out of her seat & dancing around & then had the audience join in & was drumming on the desk! I like to see people having fun on Game shows but she had too much energy! :)

• Like 2
  • Applause 1