Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Declarations of Independence

• Start Topic

I never liked James, but was sad to see Tasha go.  Was shocked Tyson actually lost for a change.  Of the remaining two TAR people, I hope Cayla outlasts Leo.  I’m also so tired of the Survivor/Big Brother vs TAR/Love Island divide.  Wonder if TPTB anticipated that before casting this season?  Maybe they thought switching partners up every week would prevent pre-made alliances from prevailing, but clearly that hasn’t been the case. 

Hopefully Shan and her anthem leave next.  That seemed even more corny when they played the flashback clip.  Honestly, there’s so many people here that I still can’t keep track of everyone.  Not sure of the logic of getting rid of weak players over the strong, but interesting strategy.  I guess it makes sense for the likes of Tyson and Angela, at least trying to keep the target off their backs.  When Leo’s partner mentioned him having a lack of social game (but him not being aware), I thought that was going to be a downside with the TAR people.  Survivor and Big Brother are more about strategy and social games, and the more endurance and physical based challenges than TAR.  I believe it could be all Survivor and Big Brother people standing at the end, depending how partnerships go.

Some notes on the episode - 

First, I'm glad James is gone. I thought he was two-faced in offering Leo and Justine as a team in the elimination challenge. He would have expected Leo or Caila to help bail him out, but he turns his back on his alliance.

Domenick was a jackass to his partner, Cash, talking down to her like that. He may be a supervisor at his job but he's not Cash's supervisor - she's his partner, not his employee. Ironic that she saved them with her fast work on the tower while he stood there in the tank letting the water run out.

I was wondering if all the phrases would be the same but glad to see they were all different.

Ugh, Shan and her stupid "Shanthem." I need her to go next. Maybe her next partner will be Dom. I wouldn't mind him going.

This was the best episode so far and I'm feeling a little more invested in seeing this show to the end.

6 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Not sure of the logic of getting rid of weak players over the strong, but interesting strategy. 

It's because of the Randomizer. They want to minimize the risk of the Randomizer choosing a weak partner for them.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

Dom: Cash sucks, and she's gonna make us lose the challenge.

Cash: Dom sucks, and he's gonna make us lose the challenge.

LOL

I like Cash.

• Love 1

I'm enjoying this more than most Challenge seasons, just because there are a lot more people I find likeable.

Preview spoiler:

Spoiler

From the preview, it looks like Angela and Domenick will be paired next week. He's not going to get away with his "I'm the boss" crap with her.

• Love 2

I'm sorry that James is gone.  I would have preferred that Dominick left because he was a jackass to his partner.  James was nothing but loving and respectful to Tasha.

I want Tyson and Angela gone as soon as possible.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I'm always happy to see the backside of James.  I truly dislike him.  But I wish Dom had lost.  He was such a jerk to his partner and I wish it had come back to bite him in the ass.  She's not your employee, Dom!  Listen for a damn minute to someone else.  I wanted him to leave and to know it was all his own fault.

But still happy James is gone.  Poor Tasha.

• Love 4
(edited)

I noticed that when James and Tasha left TJ didn’t say something like “I’m sure we’ll see you again”.  What’s up with that, Teeje?

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I notice that when James and Tasha left TJ didn’t say something like “I’m sure we’ll see you again”.  What’s up with that, Teeje?

Did he say that last week to whoever it was that went home? 👀

3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I notice that when James and Tasha left TJ didn’t say something like “I’m sure we’ll see you again”.  What’s up with that, Teeje?

He is never subtle.   If he likes you, he’ll mention you playing again.  

Ready for Shan to go and she can take Dom with her.  

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Badlands said:

I'm enjoying this more than most Challenge seasons, just because there are a lot more people I find likeable.

Preview spoiler:

Hide contents

From the preview, it looks like Angela and Domenick will be paired next week. He's not going to get away with his "I'm the boss" crap with her.

Ooooh.  I love this.  Let it be so.

I'm not feeling the show.

I had a tough day at work, I found out someone in my family is getting divorced, and I watched James bow out, leaving us with two Racers. But really, I was thinking USA doesn't measure up to the best that "the mothership" [tm someone in here] has to offer BEFORE this episode ran.

I just can't lose the feeling that there's a lot that's not on the level. The Algorithm lacks transparency to assure fans that the fix isn't on in the short and long term. Then there was James's performance in the mission. The editing made it look like he didn't get a single letter into the puzzle before Tasha dropped out. Really? What, did he run to the board with just consonants?

Between the cloud of shenanigans that looms over any version of The Challenge and the general disregard I feel is constant with The Amazing Race, I think we were going to be out one Racer tonight no mater what. And I wouldn't be surprised in Cayla get paired with Leo next week.

Mission: how many times did Teege have to explain it to the players? Way too many moving parts. Easier to run than to explain. I'm thinking William Shatner will pop on the show in a few weeks to explain the game of Fizzbin to everyone.

Arena: The most painful part of James (and Tasha) losing? The fact that they were so close to winning because Domenick was an idiot. I'll have to sift through old Survivor threads, but I'm certain that my opinion of Dom wasn't high when I first saw him. "Poor Man's Boston Rob" fits him to a tee. At least give up Teege examining footage to see if what's-her-name stacked the pieces before Dom's water got too low. Give me SOME hope, you know?

42 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I noticed that when James and Tasha left TJ didn’t say something like “I’m sure we’ll see you again”.  What’s up with that, Teeje?

I think he says that to everyone on this show, and it was edited out. I'd say Teege doesn't have any regard for TAR, but I heard he's never watched the other shows.

1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

Ugh, Shan and her stupid "Shanthem."

Maybe if they swapped it out from the menacing whistling from Kill Bill when Darryl Hannah was stalking The Bride . . .

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Domenick is checked. out.

So am I. I don't know anyone from BB and LI, and I can't remember most of the people from Survivor.

• Like 1

I’m glad James is gone. He annoys me to no end. He annoyed me on TAR and he annoyed me here. I didn’t mind Tasha on Survivor but she was sort of a non entity here because she was barely shown.  Like Dom but he was being an old fart with his partner. He knows what a reality show is by now and he’s the oldest contestant there I’m guessing. I don’t any of the Love Island people so I don’t care if they stay or go. That said, Dom almost blew it with the pipe leak. Didn’t he realize the water was getting lower and he was no longer drowning? LOL!!!

The only thing I hate about this show is the editing. I can never truly tell who is either in the lead or not in the initial challenge or the elimination round. They are trying to be so edgy with the editing that you (I) can’t keep track of what’s going on. Also, tonight was the first time I noticed how old Tyson is looking. I’m older then him so I can say this but he looks tired. LOL!!!! 

I’ll be back next week because I like anything competition. 

• Love 2

The design of both games was good.  Had to be strategic in the division of tasks between the partners.

Runners in the Daily might not have been best guessers but the women might not have done all the running as fast, though they may not be able to balance on that bar as long.

Tasha was poor in both games.  She ran slow, then dropped the weight in the Daily and then in the elimination, was slow to assemble the tower.

But glad James was eliminated.  Doubtful he could align with Survivor as he planned.

The short term strategy of eliminating weak competitors is good for avoiding going into elimination but that’s only for people who have enough money already in their accounts for the Final.

Angela saying she wants to compete against the best in the Final may not be great strategy though.  She thinks she can beat any of the woman and that may be true for running but she may have to carry weights, solve puzzles, eat gnarly stuff.

They haven’t really had many puzzles though the hangman is kind of a puzzle.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

The editing made it look like he didn't get a single letter into the puzzle before Tasha dropped out. Really? What, did he run to the board with just consonants?

He didn’t get a letter.  His first guess was a no, so he had to run a sandbag back to Tasha.  He in no way made sure she was balanced before he let it go, and she dropped just like that.

• Like 1

I thought it was interesting that I didn't hear anyone yelling at Dom to watch his water level.  (Of course, they might not have shown it, but you would think if people were screaming to him (1) he might have paid attention and stepped on the pipe, and (2) I think we would have heard it at least at some point.)  If that's the case, then I guess (most) everyone was pulling for James and Tasha to win.  I would have thought the Love Island people would have been screaming at Dom in support of Cashay.

Speaking of Love Island, Cashay does not appear to possess one iota of modesty.  I think she's attractive -- there's no question about that.  But I think we've heard at least three (?) times on the show something she's said about knowing she's cute, or presenting it as a fact that everyone views all the Love Island ladies as attractive/sexy.  Having a poor ego is not one of her problems.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, MMLEsq said:

Speaking of Love Island, Cashay does not appear to possess one iota of modesty.  I think she's attractive -- there's no question about that.  But I think we've heard at least three (?) times on the show something she's said about knowing she's cute, or presenting it as a fact that everyone views all the Love Island ladies as attractive/sexy.  Having a poor ego is not one of her problems.

I watched her on Love Island and she's a monster. She started out as kind of an underdog then became a fan favorite. The show airs as it's filming and the players have access to their social media so she saw how popular she was getting, and then her ego got out-of-control. I really liked her in the beginning of the season but couldn't stand her by the end. Shannon is also terrible, but Justine and Cinco seem like decent people.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
49 minutes ago, MMLEsq said:

This.  Sick to death of hearing Cash tell us how pretty/cute/beautiful she is. While I am enjoying this show, seeing all the Love Island people I haven't missed in the slightest is pretty much a deterrent for any interest in watching the new season. The UK version is continually great, US not so much.

I really want Tyson to lose & go home. His arrogance is annoying me. 

I also wish that there were more people from TAR. If I had to sacrifice one, it would've been James. Sneaky snake, 

(edited)

My speculation is the reason Teej is not saying anything about seeing them again is that this is not the Challenge.  If some of these folk do come on to the regular Challenge, it would be coming onto a different show and hence not "again" in the same format.  I assume they aren't planning on churning out "Challenge USAs" over and over, and considering this format is one where you "level up" to play against others from other countries, they are unlikely to want the early losers, or maybe even any of the losers, to come back even if they do have another Challenge USA in the future.  I mean, I guess (without looking it up) that CBS and MTV are all under the same big umbrella at this point, but they are still different.

I also think that it's a different pool from which they choose contestants.  I can't see Tyson, Ben, Dom, and some of the others being any kind of a fit for The Challenge (no drunken fights!), nor can I see them wanting to.  Sure, there's overlap, and there have been players from those shows on the Challenge, but it's just that, an overlap, not the same exact pool.  

I love Leo more and more.  I never disliked the Afghanimals but away from his cousin (whom I didn't dislike) he is more affable and just cute.  Nice that his partner said he was the sweetest personality but didn't have as good a social game as he thought.  

Edited:  forgot to say that I had a genuine laugh when Tyson, former pro cyclist, interviewed pre-Challenge that someone said "I biked 12 miles once!" and that isn't even a warmup, and his partner Alyssa said, "Wait, that was me who said that!," and he looked as abashed as Tyson can look which is not very, and then said to her, as gently as Tyson can which is not very, "Alyssa, 12 miles is not even a warmup!"  Hee!  

Edited by Jobiska
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

I watched her on Love Island and she's a monster. She started out as kind of an underdog then became a fan favorite. The show airs as it's filming and the players have access to their social media so she saw how popular she was getting, and then her ego got out-of-control. I really liked her in the beginning of the season but couldn't stand her by the end. Shannon is also terrible, but Justine and Cinco seem like decent people.

I totally agree.  Cashay is so self-absorbed.  I always liked Justine.  Cinco is....eh.  He'll do well with the athletic stuff here, so he'll probably stick around for a while.  I couldn't care less about the "will they? won't they?" get back together thing between Cashay and Cinco.  I do like Kyra, who I get the impression might be trying to separate herself a bit from the rest of the L.I. crowd, but that might just be wishful thinking on my part.

I wish there had been more TAR contestants here.  I wonder if they didn't reach out to many or if they were having a hard time finding former TAR contestants that wanted to do this.

Aside:  I know the latest season of Love Island started this week on Peacock.  I'm sure I'll watch it.... because I'm weak.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Someone mentioned that Tyson looked old.  He is 43, the same age as Dom.  From his wiki bio, apparently he has spent most of the last 14 years appearing on reality TV shows.  Isn't it time to get a real job?

1 hour ago, susannot said:

Someone mentioned that Tyson looked old.  He is 43, the same age as Dom.  From his wiki bio, apparently he has spent most of the last 14 years appearing on reality TV shows.  Isn't it time to get a real job?

He said in an interview that it let him be a stay at home dad…

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/21/2022 at 9:08 AM, MMLEsq said:

I think... I could be wrong but I feel like I've heard Shannon, who is also a Love Island girl, say she's cute a million times and Cash, maybe this once?

...or am I not paying attention as much? I don't know. I could be wrong.

Edited by AntFTW
4 hours ago, MMLEsq said:

Aside:  I know the latest season of Love Island started this week on Peacock.  I'm sure I'll watch it.... because I'm weak. 

That's how I feel about this show. I watch it because I'm weak... even though I have the feeling of complete and utter indifference toward the cast.

There are maybe one or two people, possibly three, that I would like to see on the flagship show. I feel like they would thrive much better on the flagship because this show leaves me with no feelings at all.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AntFTW said:

I think... I could be wrong but I feel like I've Shannon, who is also a Love Island girl, say she's cute a million times and Cash, maybe this once?

...or am I not paying attention as much? I don't know. I could be wrong.

I'm sure you're right re: Shannon.  I know that Cashay said it previously (in the first and/or second episodes) and in this one.  (Wasn't Cashay the one who commented that Tiffany was intimidated by beautiful women?)  I'm probably carrying over a sensitivity to it from watching her season on Love Island where she did the same thing. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, LakeGal said:

I was distracted by Angela's lips.

I was going to look for her mustache, but I forgot. The one time I did check, the lighting was pretty good so I didn't see it.

Edited by Lamb18
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, AntFTW said:

That's how I feel about this show. I watch it because I'm weak... even though I have the feeling of complete and utter indifference toward the cast.

I watch to see it fail.   However I did enjoy a couple of unexpected bonuses this week -- Tyson didn't win, and James was sent home, hopefully never to be seen on TV again.  

TJ doesn't seem into this show either.   Now and then his expressions look forced.  He seemed colossally bored when announcing the algorithm results.

On 7/20/2022 at 10:02 PM, LadyChatts said:

Hopefully Shan and her anthem leave next.  That seemed even more corny when they played the flashback clip. 

Most aggravating is that it's not her anthem at all.   She's sampling the Wizard of Oz, without acknowledgment.  She swiped the melody from:

Ha ha ha
Ho ho ho
And a couple of tra-la-la's
That's how we laugh the day away
In the Merry Old Land of Oz!

• Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, millennium said:

I watch to see it fail.   However I did enjoy a couple of unexpected bonuses this week -- Tyson didn't win, and James was sent home, hopefully never to be seen on TV again.  

TJ doesn't seem into this show either.   Now and then his expressions look forced.  He seemed colossally bored when announcing the algorithm results.

To be fair, with that many contestants, pairing via "the Algorithm" must take a long time. I'd be bored after repeating pairs of names all night (especially after the elimination). 

They really should have cut out that "primitive" looking flashing lights randomizer, and just had a screen where the new pairs are popped up as they are "generated" (ie after production has rejigged the pairs once the two cusp teams are decided, probably making two quick lists depending on which team is booted). 

Rejigging the pairs after each round is fine, and certainly shakes things up as far as power-couples and alliances go. But there's no need to draw it out as long as they do. 

• Like 1
On 7/22/2022 at 2:23 AM, millennium said:

Most aggravating is that it's not her anthem at all.   She's sampling the Wizard of Oz, without acknowledgment.  She swiped the melody from:

Ha ha ha
Ho ho ho
And a couple of tra-la-la's
That's how we laugh the day away
In the Merry Old Land of Oz

To me it sounded like a theme (maybe Peter's theme?) from Peter and the Wolf.  It just mainly repeats low-high high, high low-low over and over, so it could be anything, really.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jobiska said:

To me it sounded like a theme (maybe Peter's theme?) from Peter and the Wolf.  It just mainly repeats low-high high, high low-low over and over, so it could be anything, really.  

It was more obvious on Survivor, which featured it ad nauseum.

On 7/21/2022 at 9:57 AM, Jobiska said:

Edited:  forgot to say that I had a genuine laugh when Tyson, former pro cyclist, interviewed pre-Challenge that someone said "I biked 12 miles once!" and that isn't even a warmup, and his partner Alyssa said, "Wait, that was me who said that!," and he looked as abashed as Tyson can look which is not very, and then said to her, as gently as Tyson can which is not very, "Alyssa, 12 miles is not even a warmup!"  Hee!  

and this is why I like Tyson. I enjoy his humor even if he is arrogant. This show fits him in that he can be targeted, but he can't just be voted out like on Survivor for being a threat.

• Like 2