Type keyword(s) to search

S24.E01: Season Premiere

Please Remember:  NO LIVE FEEDS TALK IN THE EPISODE THREADS.

• Start Topic

For everybody hollering “SHENANIGANS!” on the final run for 1st HoH being all-male…

• With its emphasis on arm/shoulder/upper body strength, I’ll agree the Merch Tent comp segment had a definite male bias.
  • The Porta-Potti comp segment, though…? It required three skills: listening, counting, and hitting a button.
  • The Piercing Tent comp segment required even less: clipping on jewelry in a predefined pattern.

…so please explain to me how either the Porta-Potti or Piercing Tent comp segments were biased to favor males, else I have to call bullshit on that particular claim.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

P.S. A reminder to the people who believe in these things (me), Kyle was the very first HG to walk in the front door. Since Celeb BB doesn't count in the statistics and the First in the Door curse is still a thing, I am pleased to announce that Kyle will most likely be a mid-season boot because we can never fully win. Celebrate the small things.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Ten minutes in and I hate the first four HGs - Paloma is just as dim as her interviews foretold; same with Kyle; Jasmine is a non-entity; and Monte is obviously meant to fill the Xavier role this season (copies always pale compared to the original).

I'm really glad I DVRed this and can fast-forward through the commercials in order to watch the premiere quicker.  

Oh, look, Paloma's cousin is the first in the second group.  Alysa and Paloma have got to be related, right?  I did not realize that Daniel was the Elvis-impersonator despite having read his bio (for some reason, "Vegas entertainer" and his look didn't make me think "Elvis-impersonator" yesterday - go ahead, judge me the way we judge all these hamsters).  Taylor has already pissed me off - the pageant circuit is known for it's fake sincerity and benevolence, so this whole "now I have permission to be manipulative and conniving" is just as fake and superficial as the pageant world she inhabits.  Michael will also piss me off very soon - because wannabe hipsters always do.

Next batch of hamsters - Nicole - yeahhhhh, she's a Kaycee copy.  Turner's the actual hipster that Michael wishes he was, right down to going by his last name, lol.  He's really not the type you usually see on BB.  Joseph - hey, bro.  Is it too much to hope that you're a smarter guy than Fessy?  Brittany - that was verging on a bit cray-cray with the near cross-eyes to end her intro.  Yeah, those wide eyes in the DR are holding a lot of crazy promise.

I just noticed the fringe on Julie's dress.  That's a style choice.

And the last HGs...  Terrance is not long for this game, I suspect.  Indy is another non-entity.  Pooch - no opinion yet, but it sounds like that'll change before the end of the premiere; Ameerah - I'm probably going to confuse her with Taylor until one of them goes (same with Paloma & Alysa).  And my opinion of Pooch just went way down - those pants are awful, and it's not helped by going sockless.  I'm amused at the fact that the big golden chair is so big and he's so short and his feet don't touch the floor.

I agree with @Nashville that the Porta-Potties and Piercing Tent competitions didn't favor males over females.  The Merch Table - I suppose an argument could be made that it favored males, but it would have also been good for a petite, buff female gymnast like Simone Biles or Jade Carey.  Not that there are any women who fit that bill in the house this year.  I will also point out that our Elvis was the only one smart enough to cross his feet and maintain a steady, straight position to start off with - the rest of them were dangling their feet and it was only too obvious they weren't long for the competition.  Good technique for the win!

Anyone else catch Taylor's fake-as-hell pageant smile during the HOH comp?  I love cats too, Michael, but I'd not introduce myself as a proud cat-mom in any part of the pre-show videos.  Knock-off-Ken-doll, er, Kyle is the whitest white boy ever produced by America.   And since BB has given us the power to save one of the three gals that Pooch put backstage, I'm gonna have to go with Brittany since there wasn't a clear "first one out" in the Piercing Tent competition and he only picked her because he remembered her memorable "I'm a belly dancer" intro.  Plus, I want to see if the cray-cray in her eyes lives up to its full potential.

Now to the Live Feeds thread!!!!!

Edited by HighQueenEB
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

Tight and ill fitting.  I was like, "where the hell did he get those?  The irregular rack in the Big For Their Age" section?  Also, he doesn't wear socks with dress shoes.   Hate.

I thought he might have grabbed them from his mom’s closet. The waistband was a little… up there.

I guess it was appropriate that the port-a-potty people got doused with urinal disinfectant fluid? I was kind of hoping for something brown, though. Also, I really wanted a quiz in the piercing tent where a wrong answer got you poked with needles. Because it’s never too soon to wish for these people to get tortured.

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, Michichick said:

She specifically said that they can’t be nominated, and also that it didn’t mean they were safe.

What Julie said:

As you all know, earlier Pooch became the Backstage Boss - and it’s time to find out what that means.  Pooch, as Backstage Boss you will be backstage all week long - meaning you will not be participating in any competitions, and you won’t be voting come Eviction Night.  But the good news is, you cannot be nominated or evicted this week.  And even though you’re safe this week, you will be eligible to compete in the next HoH competition - so, congratulations Pooch.  But remember, we do have a motto here on Big Brother: Expect the Unexpected - that’s right, I heard some of you say it - and tonight is no different.

So, you know how being Backstage Boss affects you - but Pooch, it’s time to find out how it affects your housemates because being Backstage Boss comes with a unique power.  Pooch, you have the power to pick three other houseguests to send backstage.  Now, listen up.  Usually, being backstage is a perk - but not at BBFest.  They, like you, cannot be nominated, will not take part in any of this week’s competitions, and they will not be voting on Eviction Night.  But be warned: unlike you, they are not safe - and one of them could be the first houseguest going home. 

———————

So, sounds like a separate jeopardy other than straightforward nomination is in play.

At a guess I’d think the three BSers will have to compete in a them-only comp, with the biggest loser joining the other two “regular” noms OTB on Eviction Night.

18 minutes ago, HighQueenEB said:

Knock-off-Ken-doll, er, Kyle is the whitest white boy ever produced by America.

Kyle is not white.  
Kyle is beyond white.  
Kyle is clear.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 9
  • Love 3

Can we talk about Julie’s dress? Please.

That fringe, top and bottom. That purple.

She looked like one of those dolls who have on grass skirts that you see on a car’s dashboard. I have expected her do do a shimmy.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I really wanted my Star Trek theme season prediction to come true (and really wanted a redshirtitard) but all I got was Julie being outfitted from Alien Space Babe #3's closet.  

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Rosebud1970 said:

She looked like one of those dolls who have on grass skirts that you see on a car’s dashboard. I have expected her do do a shimmy.

And the weird hourglass curves? She's not shaped like that. It looked like a drag queen padding. 

I used to be such a dedicated BB watcher, including feeds, since the first season. The past few years I just can't anymore. This season's cast looks extremely dull. 

• Like 1

Why do the stereotypical “attractive” Houseguest always feel the need to protest how smart they are, despite their looks & that people are always so surprised & shocked by their knowledge. 

Like seriously? Where are these crowds of complete strangers lined up to witness your genius…I’ve never once spotted a conventionally attractive stranger & then spent my whole entire day thinking about their IQ level. The level of Narcissism is too much. 

• Like 2
  • Love 7

Was it Kyle who moved into his parents and said it was like having “two elderly roommates”?   And he does TikTok videos with mom?   Ugh!

Liked the two guys with the blond hair growing out more than I thought I would, especially Elvis.  But it is early days.   For the women, liked the chef.  The hypnotherapist has the crazy eyes.  And I fully expect her to try to use that “tone” on the other houseguests at some point. 

9 hours ago, Michichick said:

She specifically said that they can’t be nominated, and also that it didn’t mean they were safe.

Could be something like "Mon Won" from CBB3 (one of the nominees gets replaced).

The premiere lasted toooo long, annoyingly long, with all the tickets and taking their places, and clapping in between... We saw no real interaction between people, and Pooch who had to make the most important decision had to stay away from them all. I don't like any of the women except for the ex cop. I like most of the guys. I think I'll have a problem knowing who these women are when they are in the house without makeup.

Anyway we'll see..

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

Why do the stereotypical “attractive” Houseguest always feel the need to protest how smart they are, despite their looks & that people are always so surprised & shocked by their knowledge. 

It's just a humblebrag so they can remind everyone how pretty they are. "I'm so UNDERESTIMATED because people think I'm DUMB when I'm actually super smart as well as being, as everyone can see, extremely beautiful. And smart." 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

…so please explain to me how either the Porta-Potti or Piercing Tent comp segments were biased to favor males, else I have to call bullshit on that particular claim.

I don't think the comp wins were fixed, but I think the "scans" on the "tickets" were highly suspicious. I think it's entirely possible the producers pre-selected which contestants would play which games. And which one would win Backstage Boss. 

• Like 2
  • Love 5

The worse premier of BB ever.  So boring.  

Why does production feel the need to shake things up with new twists?   If you actually recruit amazing contestants, then you don’t need twists.  It’s the houseguests that make the show.  

• Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

I was disappointed that the entire show was just them in the backyard competing in silly carnival games.  I like it better when all the contestants sit at the sofas, drink some champagne, and introduce themselves to each other while we watch.  (Then we see DRs of what various people thought of each person).  It gets us viewers involved in the game immediately.  THEN they can have the first competition!  Last night, I couldn't really get a read on who I liked and who I didn't, and didn't get to see who rubbed other contestants the wrong way.

The belly dancing woman who bragged about how here strategy is to shake up the house by making big moves?  I predict she'll be on the Block 4 out of the first 5 weeks, and she'll be in the HoH room crying about how no one takes her seriously.

• Like 1
  • Love 10

Awww, I don’t get the Pooch hate, he has great eyes….anyone watching the live feeds, is he worse there?

HG’s I liked off the bat – Terrance (Bus Driver) and Nicole (Former Cop, now Chef).  Monte (Engineer) is cool so far and so is Alyssa (black leather pants), Paloma and Ameerah (the one who literally fell on her ass during the endurance comp).

I liked Michael (Lawyer) for a bit but for some reason I’m now getting a dick vibe. 

Taylor’s (Baltimore USA winner) teeth are Hee Haw horse awful and distracting, I grimace whenever she smiles.

Danny and Turner, the meth 80’s called and wants the both of you back!  The sad thing is Danny isn’t bad looking….he needs to get a buzzcut and fix his dead looking tooth.  Turner could use a buzz cut too.  Guys, blonde doesn’t always work for everyone!

Brittany the belly dancer is giving me a Sam Bledsoe vibe.

Joseph (Lawyer replacement) has a banging body but a butterface.

I was okay with Jasmine (farm girl) until she changed into that overweight Bjork suit, what in the bluedilly hell was that?

We’re going to need subtitles for Indy’s thick accent.

Finally, we have Kyle….I really thought he was hot when I saw his picture; and then he opened his stupid, non dancing mouth and I can’t stand his unemployed ass!  I dislike him like ya’ll dislike Pooch, the sooner he’s eliminated the better.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I thought he might have grabbed them from his mom’s closet. The waistband was a little… up there.

Yeah those jeans had a million red flags! The waistline instantly struck me as well.

I felt that all was right in the BB Universe as they revealed that we will in fact have at least one 'personal trainer' in the cast.

There was SO much mugging and posing for the cameras at every opportunity by so many of the women it made my eyes do their usual reality teeve 'roll back and stick in my head' action.

7 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Was it Kyle who moved into his parents and said it was like having “two elderly roommates”?   And he does TikTok videos with mom?   Ugh!

Yeah, super cringe. Do you think that or the videos is the better draw with the ladies?? That was a classic 'in every joke there is an underlying truth' moment you may be poking fun at yourself and laughing, yes, but those two factoids about him paint quite the picture of his life. This isn't a recent graduate ravaged by financial loan debt and cost of living forced to move in with the p's until you can get things under control type sitch here. This is not only a "I just LOVE living with mom and dad" situation but one in which he has chosen to HIGHLIGHT that situation for the world one tok at a time. Yikes.

4 hours ago, SummerDreams said:

Pooch who had to make the most important decision had to stay away from them all

Yeah, nice work set designers!! Set the 'king' off in the upper back corner. I mean he even said 'I couldn't see any of the comps' when he made his choices and had to go with 'so whoever was first out please step forward' approach. Nice. That as the last image of the evening really summed things up. This season is ALREADY drowning in stupid 'twists' and 'clever' advantages/disadvantages. You can see right through them as if someone presented them in a pitch that no doubt included 'You know what would be amaaaazing??'

There's an old improv adage in that you confidently work from the angle that the 'format' itself has already proven that it works. You don't need to try to make it 'zany' or 'hilarious' if you work the process you'll get there. Going over the top may be 'funny' but it gets a scene nowhere. It seems they take the opposite approach on BB takes. The yearly approach makes it seem as if they know that they can't just 'let the game play out' or it will fail. As if the base structure is inherently flawed, so they need to 'dress it up' and 'make it crazy!' with continual re-writing of rules and addition of so many complicated 'twists' in every episode that the game is playing the players instead of the players playing the game.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Rosebud1970 said:

It was very strange to see a gold cross pendant hanging on a lampshade from a Victorian brothel.

Even if clipping things onto one's face gives on the heebie-jeebies, I still think the porta-potties was the rawest deal--if as a contestant it grossed you out, you could mime having trouble with the clipping, etc., whereas the only way not to get doused in blue was to win.  

I'm not as much a fan of people getting covered with whatever as the producers would like me to be, but I really dislike that only a third of them got it.  Be fair!  or at least give them friendship bracelets for their trouble!  Oh wait.

I like MCM and the colors, but things like the rugs didn't look MCM, they looked like some of what's out there now, and I find that jarring.  

they should have had Turner the Rugmaker make the rugs.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
(edited)

Late to the party  here but...

First ep competitions really don't interest me at all. (did anyone really believe Daniel wouldn't be the last person hanging) I'm here to see the interactions with the new people. I want to see who Bros up, who will be the mean girls and who will be the outcasts so this episode basically did nothing for me. A whole contest based around disgusting potty humour. If anyone was doubting the collapse of western civilization draws near this ought to put a nail in that coffin.

My prediction would be for the belly dancer to be the first out....until the twist with the voting. America being made up of mostly normal looking people like her will subconsiously want to save her and she'll get the votes. Wait for it.

I really think...no...I want to hate a guy who calls himself "Pooch"....getting early Cody Califory douche bag vibes. I noticed for the most part he wasn't paying any attention to the videos and barely had any reactions to them...except his own of course.

Does anyone know if the farm girl is bi-racial? Here ethnicity was hard to pin down. I really hope she goes far because you don't usually see this type of person so I want to root for her.

The black beauty queen is evervescent...wow just wow.

Hopefully the Brazillian flight attendant doesn't turn out to be a villain because right now I want to like her.

Asian women need not apply I guess.

Edited by North of Eden
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I want the Belly Dancer Hypnotist to last a while.  I want to know if she uses her skills to work her game.  It would be hilarious if she made HOH and had intense one-on-one "interviews" with all the hamsters and manipulates them into playing for her.

I know, I know.  Hypnotherapy/hypnotism doesn't work like that, and it would be highly unethical, but highly entertaining.  Especially if she could plant subtle post hypnotic suggestions like "go refill your water bottle if you hear 'expect the unexpected'" or "touch your nose if someone says 'at the end of the day'" or "shudder when you hear 'blood on my hands'".

• LOL 6
On 7/6/2022 at 11:09 PM, vb68 said:

There's something that really annoys me (besides the name) about Pooch

It’s that mustache.  If it weren’t there, he would be a pretty decent-looking guy with shit taste in pants.

• LOL 3
15 hours ago, North of Eden said:

A whole contest based around disgusting potty humour. If anyone was doubting the collapse of western civilization draws near this ought to put a nail in that coffin

I haven't heard anyone exclaim "I have to go #2" since I was in kindergarten maybe?? It certainly doesn't come up in day-to-day convo. I cringed every time someone said it and it just made it worse that you had to count along for the sake of the comp. *shudder*

14 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

if she could plant subtle post hypnotic suggestions like "go refill your water bottle if you hear 'expect the unexpected'" or "touch your nose if someone says 'at the end of the day'" or "shudder when you hear 'blood on my hands'".

I love this... it's kind of like a drinking game but with uncontrollable actions instead of drinking. I would laugh my ass of to see how many times these things would come up in the same "strategic" convo:

"Okay, I'm going to go fill my water bottle, but *touches nose* at the end of the day It comes down to less blood on my hands. *shudder* Is it cold in here?" mauahaha

• LOL 2
(edited)

I figured that Pooch might be making some kind of choice that would be bad for whomever he chose, so I was trying to see who finished last in the piercing thing, but I couldn't. I might have asked for volunteers (if it was allowed) and offered not to nominate any volunteers the first time I had a chance. Otherwise I was going to go with the first ones out of each competition. So often there are people who blow it on purpose in the beginning, so that would have been satisfying for me. 

I was also trying to follow the scanning (which I just assume, from watching many seasons of BB, would be rigged) -- did a lot of the groups just all choose from the same container when they got into the house? I couldn't tell except that it looked like a lot of the first group chose from the same one. 

eta: BBFest kept looking like Be Best to me. I hope it's not there all summer. 

Edited by Mediocre Gatsby
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 7/7/2022 at 1:55 PM, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Joseph (Lawyer replacement) has a banging body but a butterface.

He's probably going to grow into that face, assuming he keeps up with his shape. Penn Holderness from Amazing Race is a great example of male butterface- kinda butterfacey for most of his life, but gets better looking when he enters the Silver Daddy phase of his life as he maintained his banging body well. Being tall bodes well for that- tall guys have a better chance of maintaining a hot body.

Also, I think Joseph looks like Eddie Redmayne with brown hair and a water polo player body.image.thumb.png.d9264bba21e63880b4ea4e9295ae5cbb.png

I'm a sucker for blue eyes against dark brown/black hair, so I was feeling on Pooch. I did smile when he said he wants to be the first winner from Staten Island- Eddie's already got Brooklyn covered so he can't say New York City. LOL

Edited by methodwriter85
On 7/7/2022 at 1:22 AM, Rosebud1970 said:

Hey, works for me.  😈