Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Occultation

Episode Synopsis:

After warning Kelly to leave the city with Zack ahead of the spreading plague, Eph is arrested by the FBI. Eichhorst has one final job for Gus, while Setrakian realizes that the coming eclipse is the tipping point for virus infection and the beginning of the end.

I don't know how the Stroigoi (sp?) reached all the people they did (e.g., did I miss it or did one of the passengers have a family member who worked in Fet's office???), but it was good for the plot to see the bodycount increase so much.

How are Gus and Jim, and Felix, I suppose, going to get out from Eichorst's clutches? They have to go underground. He can find them too easily.

It's a Total Eclipse and not one person said "Turn around bright eyes" or "Every now and then I fall apart".

"Every now and then I fall apart and my insides get replaced by a huge blood-sucking tentacle."

• Love 2

Poor Gus. Hope he can find a way to free himself from serving the Vampires. I feel bad for his friend.

I like the pest control guy. He learns fast. I understand his father being angry that they had not seen him in two years, but the fact that he showed up after two years to warn them of a coming threat and to get out of town should’ve been telling. Hopefully his father will heed the warning.

I was hoping we would’ve got more of Abraham’s backstory tonight, but no such luck. He’s going to have to get a sidekick and soon. He can’t keep slaying alone with his age and apparent heart problems. Glad Nora and Ephraim have finally come around. 

As I suspected Ephraim's family has been shown so much because they'll likely be infected by the ex-wife's boyfriend, who was likely infected by the vampires that he confronted in the hallway at his job.

Who was the vampire that was holding the man hostage and feeding on him at the beginning of the episode? I was in and out of the room during that scene and didn’t catch whether they revealed additional information about who he was.

Tonight’s episode was descent. Not as good as last week though, but the plot is moving along with is a good thing.

Edited by Enero

Who was the vampire that was holding the man hostage and feeding on him at the beginning of the episode? I was in and out of the room during that scene and didn’t catch whether they revealed additional information about who he was.

Wasn't that Eichorst with his nose piece off?

Wasn't that Eichorst with his nose piece off?

Yes, that was Eichorst.

Thanks for confirming! Well that certainly explains how he can spend so much time around humans without ripping their throats out.

Edited by Enero

I'm sure getting the streets of New York vibe is all important, but can they at least tell them to react to the hearing of "gun shots" right in front of them? Can people run, get out of their cars or ...anything? The stupid it burns! Medical chick looked like she wanted to hump Eph in the room in front of everybody. Well, at least the vamps are taking out folks and now Tats has a connection to the story and will somehow make his way onto the team.

ETA: Maybe I should say the fake New York vibe.

Edited by Iamsweetdee
  • Love 1

I could take this show so much more seriously if they cut out the specific locations in NYC, as not a single shot looks anything like its real life counterpart.  I intimately know that section of E 28th Street and there's no outdoor market or payphone, let alone a phonebook.  Or snappy new houses in Woodside.  Or broad, sweeping avenues in Red Hook.  Iconic images of the skyline and a diverse cast are enough to convey an NYC setting.  

Props though for a Mole People shout out.  Minus points for the supposed homeless person sporting scrubs, a medical apron, and fauxhawk.  C'mon, writers. 

I like the pest control guy. He learns fast. I understand his father being angry that they had not seen him in two years, but the fact that he showed up after two years to warn them of a coming threat and to get out of town should’ve been telling. Hopefully his father will heed the warning.

I like him too, but rambling on about a pestilence sweeping the nation probably wasn't the right lead-in.   He couldn't have sounded more bonkers if he'd tried. The characters' inability to remotely talk like normal people is one of the many things keeping this show from being good alone great.   Or maybe it was the eyebrows he clearly stole from Eichorst's makeup drawer.

• Love 3

Exactly how long does it take someone to turn into a vamp?  I guess I'm expecting some sort of lore to be involved with a three day turn cycle or something.  But four passengers took days, while the others turned quickly.  These newly infected seem to be turning even quicker.  I had assumed they were all under orders of the Master, which is why I thought he was called the Master.  We definitely need to see more of the Master.

I know we're meant to feel sympathy for the poor mom with Alzheimers or dementia, but I couldn't be more annoyed by her.  It's doing nothing to endear me to Nora.  Exact opposite, actually.

It's hard to believe that Jim is still doing grunt work for Eichurst.  I get that Gus is doing it because he didn't actually know what was going on.  Just that this Eichurst dude was bad news.  But Jim knows!  He was there for the pilot turning and he watched the damn autopsy.  Then he knew about the video of another survivor.  I'm sorry, but his wife's dying of cancer sob story doesn't matter so much now that she could die by getting her blood sucked dry.  This isn't some minor mono outbreak.  

I was expecting a lot more mass hysteria in the streets during the occultation.  It was quite subdued.  Seems there is a lack of budget for this show because there weren't enough extras running around screaming in fear.  

Minus points for the supposed homeless person sporting scrubs, a medical apron, and fauxhawk.  C'mon, writers. 

He was the medical examiner from the pilot, the one who was attacked by the plane people.

• Love 1

Glad that Ephraim and Nora have finally thrown in with Abraham for good.  About time this crew start coming together and trying to find a way to stop this thing.  Of course, I'm sure something is going to happen that will require Ephraim to have to run off and save his stupid family.  I'm sure that boyfriend is going to get himself infected of something, and he'll need to rescue his ex and son.

So, Jim is still forced to work for the vampires, and he and Gus had to team up this time (along with Felix.)  I'm wondering if they're going to start interacting more, and maybe that will get them involved into the main group.  Then again, they got arrested at the end, so they have to take care of that first.

Vasily is still awesome, but still by himself.  Now that his workplace has been hit, I hope this is going to lead him to seeking outside help, and finding his way to the gang.  I really want some Vasily/Abraham scenes!

Not as fun as last week, but I hope all this set-up is leading to better things.

• Love 1

Were we supposed to know whose body was being dumped by Gus, Felix ("Duh, what's in the body bag?") and Jim ("Who said you could touch that!")?

Mrs. Eph's boyfriend is most likely about to become infected, but still has time to be a hero and help join Team Decapitate. Speaking of whom, Van Helsing will now have to add a defibrillator to the nail gun and sword arsenal. How ironic – the one with the most heart has, well, you get the idea.

"No Zach, eclipses don't kill people. Undead people kill people."

Were we supposed to know whose body was being dumped by Gus, Felix ("Duh, what's in the body bag?") and Jim ("Who said you could touch that!")?

It was Redfern, the pilot.

Poor Felix is infected.  If he and Gus get stuck in a cell together, Gus may have to destroy his pal.

These people need some silver bullets.  Much better than silver nails.

• Love 1

Poor Felix is infected. If he and Gus get stuck in a cell together, Gus may have to destroy his pal.

These people need some silver bullets. Much better than silver nails.

in the commotion with the cops I couldn't tell if they got the worm off Felix. I doubted it so I guess you're right. Felix turning would serve to show Gus the mechanisms more. I'd bet his brother's going to get infected and Gus will have to save the mom. More family drama. Edited by lulee

A couple of things last night that bugged:

1. Why did Gus and Felix have to help the Hobbit dump the pilot's body?  Its not like the infection is going to be a secret for much longer. Actually I am not sure why it is still a secret.  So why move it?  Its not like anyone was LOOKING for it.

2. Some guy is running around looking like the guy from Texas Chainsaw Massacre and no one notices?  I have never been to New York but would even NYers ignore that?

3. After Fet saw zompires in the sewer system he what?  Went home and went to bed?  Didn't oh I don't know report it or at least go to his office and tell someone? 

And last but not least 4. Why did the boyfriend go after two freaky looking guys (actually they look sick or infected kind of what Eph was saying that morning), They did not look like they were going to run away.....

It was a good episode and at least now people are starting to notice the zompires roaming around the city.

• Love 3

With the level of annoying/stupid that most of these characters have I'd be fine with these zompires or whatever taking over NYC and later the world. I find I enjoy more of the scenes with Eicholtz and the billionaire being creepy ass fucks than I care about Eph being interrogated. Or his dumb family. The only "good guy" I really like is Abe.

• Love 1

What the hell was with that FBI guy? Was the pilot his brother, or something? Glad Eph left him with an "I told you so."

So Abraham is building his army. They gotta get Fet.

For some reason I want Gus to join team Decapitate as well.

Is the Eclipse over? Or are we still in the middle of it? It was hard to tell...

Are people turning into Zampires in just a few minutes now? 

Zampires are killing people with mouth tentacles in the middle of the street and it doesn't cause a panic? Those New Yorkers are really jaded.

Note to Eph and Exterminator guy : if you want you loved ones to leave the city -- you need to pack them up and take them yourselves. Once Eph saw people being attacked in the street, he should have immediately headed to save his son. (But we know his real priorities..)

I am enjoying the growing mayhem - it's keeping the show going. But once you have roaming gangs of killer Zampires,  what does it matter what happens with the Goth Rocker guy and Lawyer Lady. They would seem minor in comparison.

Another week with no sighting of The Master.. 

At this point we are now picking out who needs to die. The top candidates :

1. Eph's ex-wife's boyfriend. (Eph will save his family.)
  2. Eph's ex-wife's BFF who swills wine all day and gives bad advice.
  3. Gus' not-too-bright sidekick. Who opens a body bag "just to see" ? 
  4. Nora's not-too-bright mom. Nora is annoying enough without the added baggage. 
Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 2

While I think there's plenty of clunkiness going on, I do like that different characters are having different revelations like Fet with the sunlight on his former officemates and Gus seeing the worm(s) get on Felix from the zompire.

Is the Eclipse over? Or are we still in the middle of it? It was hard to tell...

The eclipse is over. When it ended and the sun was out again, Fet "sunned" his officemates.

At this point we are now picking out who needs to die. The top candidates :
  1. Eph's ex-wife's boyfriend. (Eph will save his family.)
  2. Eph's ex-wife's BFF who swills wine all day and gives bad advice.
  3. Gus' not-too-bright sidekick. Who opens a body bag "just to see" ? 
  4. Nora's not-too-bright mom. Nora is annoying enough without the added baggage. 

I think Nora's mom is supposed to have dementia. Regardless, I think she's going to end up infected and one of the crew will have to off her.

This episode was a bit tepid compared to last week but still okay. I thought the whole eclipse thing seemed a bit anti-climatic but what I liked is that we didn't have to wait long to see the dickheads and assholes get theirs. FBI guy and irrelevant boyfriend dude both had it coming.

Fet's eyebrows are a bit eh strong, but he could still get it.

I am more bothered by his overly dark hair and beard.  It is like they have been dyed in the color obsidian deep space blackest of black. Yeah, but I agree, he could still get it but that is mostly because I am a sucker for men of impressive stature and build! That being said I feel like the group will only become the group once Fet has joined. Homeboy is obviously the muscle and built for vampire slaying, plus his is my fave.

Poor Abraham is really getting too old for this shit. I giggled and was sad when he tried to recruit the cab driver after his near miss at one of the passenger's homes. That basement scene was pretty cool. It looked as if the passenger came back in the middle of a wake (saw the little memorial and the 'grief buffet') and turned every one present. 

I could take this show so much more seriously if they cut out the specific locations in NYC, as not a single shot looks anything like its real life counterpart.  I intimately know that section of E 28th Street and there's no outdoor market or payphone, let alone a phonebook.  Or snappy new houses in Woodside.  Or broad, sweeping avenues in Red Hook.  Iconic images of the skyline and a diverse cast are enough to convey an NYC setting.

I am now referring to The Strain locale as New Canadork. Yes, it is getting ridiculously hilarious. The phone book especially had me shaking my damn head. If that had indeed been NY, NY there wouldn't be a one in tact - the homeless would use them for toilet paper and the dope heads would roll joints for them.

Nora's mom really does look like Rita Morena.

Eph's family situation continues to bore me. The only interesting development there was that his wife did in fact know that Nora was his sidepiece. Once again Eph is as clueless as always when it comes to his home life because episode 1 he was pretty damn sure his wife had no clue about them. LOL!

• Love 1
I am now referring to The Strain locale as New Canadork. Yes, it is getting ridiculously hilarious. The phone book especially had me shaking my damn head. If that had indeed been NY, NY there wouldn't be a one in tact - the homeless would use them for toilet paper and the dope heads would roll joints for them.

Yeah, the pristine phonebook was probably the most implausible thing on the episode.

• Love 1
I am more bothered by his overly dark hair and beard.  It is like they have been dyed in the color obsidian deep space blackest of black.

I'm pretty sure they have been. Kevin Durand had medium brown hair in Mystery, Alaska and his guest stint on Dead Like Me. Apparently nothing less than the inky black of Boris Badenov would do for this show.

• Love 1

You sure? Was he at any point mentioned by name? See, I was certain that in the scene immediately after Redfern attacked the CDC Three, when they were breaking down what they just saw, that they threw his body into the door of a large incinerator/furnace in the hospital basement. Anyone else, or am I misremembering?

1. Why did Gus and Felix have to help the Hobbit dump the pilot's body?  Its not like the infection is going to be a secret for much longer. Actually I am not sure why it is still a secret.  So why move it?  Its not like anyone was LOOKING for it.

Exactly. How does this constitue such a big deal assignment for Eichorst to have to drag Gus down into the sewers and threaten them that it has to be done? There are tongue-lashers popping up all over the city now, so would it make that much difference to the big bad cover story that the pilot's (if that was him) identity as a vamp needs to be hidden?

Oh, and it looks like Mrs. Eph's BFF is Orphan Black's Detective deAngelis, who is now apparently a born-and-bred Queens girl.

I feel like I have no sense of why Eichorst & Co. need lackeys to drag bodies around and do shipping errands. Can't they just do that stuff themselves at night? Why involve humans at all?

Oh, and it looks like Mrs. Eph's BFF is Orphan Black's Detective deAngelis, who is now apparently a born-and-bred Queens girl.

That's who she is! That explains my immediate annoyance with her.

First, that view from orbit of the Eastern Mediterranean is nonsense.  All of Lebanon and Israel, including the Gaza strip, are lit up like Christmas trees.  Yet Turkey and Greece and dimly lit at best.

It could be the end of the world because you've got all the New Year's eve stuff going on with the pickpockets and perverts doing their thing (really, what are perverts 'doing their thing' in Times Square ?) coinciding with a lunar event -- that's not really a big deal, as eclipses happen pretty frequently.  And New Year's Eve is a man-made event that means absolutely nothing. Additionally, a lunar eclipse only lasts a few minutes of complete darkeness, how much damage can be done before all the creatures have to duck back into the darkness ?  How come no one on the street appeared to be in a New Year's celebration frame of mind ?

Apparently everyone knew this lunar eclipse was going to happen -- how else to explain that everyone had eclipse-viewing goggles all ready to go ?  To watch an eclipse on a cloudy day no less.  The moon moved way too quickly as the sun reappeared -- people were walking in the street and the moon moved completely out of the way of the sun.  That's not how it works.

Despite all the empty protein bar packages and empty generic gatorade and water bottles in that cell, didn't see a shit bucket anywhere ?

And the FBI is lurking right outside Kelly's house to be available in minutes.  Sure they were, lurking around the corner after blatantly stating that there was no way the ex-husband would be there.

My cell phone isn't working, I can't get onto Instagram and there's a lunar eclipse -- two out of three of those things are a normal everyday occurrence for Verizon, so what's the big deal ?

Eph's hair was particularly bad in that interrogation room.

Who infected Fet's co-workers at the health dept. ?  I hope that Kelly's boyfriend gets infected -- he's a dick.

Did Eph bang Nora at some point, and that caused his divorce (the alluded to spicy side-dish) ?

Who ditches a body in a river in the middle of the day ?

How did no one at the Nora's mother's nursing home not catch the creature in the hallway on video and at least walk it over to a news station (since the Internet is all wonky) ?

These newly infected seem to be turning even quicker.

That does seem like a major inconsistency in the plot.  One of many, that is.

Strange, no Gabriel Bolivar this week. No lady lawyer either.

That basement scene was pretty cool. It looked as if the passenger came back in the middle of a wake (saw the little memorial and the 'grief buffet') and turned every one present.

The infected that came out of the closet in the basement appeared to be the minister, complete with clerical collar.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

That's who she is! That explains my immediate annoyance with her.

And to continue playing Shot-in-Toronto-Genre-TV-Geography, the actress who plays Ex-Mrs. Eph plays the boyfriend's sister on Bitten.

Who ditches a body in a river in the middle of the day ?

Well, technically, it was Lake Ontario, but, yeah.

Shenanigans to come, I guess. Last week it was Gus who went missing. They seem to have the problem of too many characters to follow, having to take turns with some of the tertiary ones.

The infected that came out of the closet in the basement appeared to be the minister, complete with clerical collar.

A priest came out of the closet? My, how appropriate!

• Love 2

The latter was probably busy yelling at a police commissioner to put out APBs when her nanny was more than 30 minutes late getting her kids back home.

Exactly how long does it take someone to turn into a vamp?  I guess I'm expecting some sort of lore to be involved with a three day turn cycle or something.  But four passengers took days, while the others turned quickly.  These newly infected seem to be turning even quicker. 

I think it's supposed to be variable, with some people taking longer than others (like a real disease). It would make sense that the four people who survived the plane had the longest transformation, since they apparently had enough resistance to survive the initial attack. The ones who died did turn within hours. But I don't know if the show has made that explicit, or even cares to put that much thought into it.

certain that in the scene immediately after Redfern attacked the CDC Three, when they were breaking down what they just saw, that they threw his body into the door of a large incinerator/furnace in the hospital basement. Anyone else, or am I misremembering?

They were retrieving a body that was in the freezer at the hospital.  Pretty sure that's the pilot. 

• Love 1

I think Nora's mom is supposed to have dementia. Regardless, I think she's going to end up infected and one of the crew will have to off her.

Which I would be happy to see; I've watched a lot of television shows in my day and that woman irritated me faster than just about any character I can think of.  I'm sure there have been plenty, but I actually yelled at the screen, telling her to shut up already.  Plus, I keep getting my virus-zombie-walker shows confused.  Perhaps Abraham and Michonne both went to the same school of katanary while Commander Chandler went on another mission to find the primordial virus that wiped out the entire world.

• Love 1

It took 6 episodes, but this show finally had a scene that got to me.  The family and friends of one of the supposedly dead plane passengers got together for a wake.  they brought food and wine, and the local priest arrived to help the bereaved.  Then the dead guy shows up, drags them into the basement and, based on all the blood on the basement walls, put the bite on then one after the other.  

When the old guy showed up with his sword, most of the vampires were holding each other, still not completely turned, but no longer human either; trying to comfort each other.  The tragedy of this show isn't that random monsters are attacking people in the streets, but that dead people are feeding on their own families and friends--the ultimate betrayal.

Best scene in this show so far.

• Love 4

It took 6 episodes, but this show finally had a scene that got to me.  The family and friends of one of the supposedly dead plane passengers got together for a wake.  they brought food and wine, and the local priest arrived to help the bereaved.  Then the dead guy shows up, drags them into the basement and, based on all the blood on the basement walls, put the bite on then one after the other.  

When the old guy showed up with his sword, most of the vampires were holding each other, still not completely turned, but no longer human either; trying to comfort each other.  The tragedy of this show isn't that random monsters are attacking people in the streets, but that dead people are feeding on their own families and friends--the ultimate betrayal.

Best scene in this show so far.

I agree with you on that scene, but that makes the medical examiner wandering through traffic seem more nonsensical. Was he on his way to loved ones and decided on some snacks?

• Love 1

They were retrieving a body that was in the freezer at the hospital.  Pretty sure that's the pilot. 

I thought they incinerated the body too unless Hobbit Sean lied about taking care of that and kept the body instead.  Was the point of putting the body in the water to get it in the water supply?  That made no sense to me at all.

I don't care how messy your divorce is when your ex husband who works for the CDC tells you to get out of town you get the fuck out of town! It's not like he's asking you to run away with him. And why didn't Eph show his wife the video he made such a big deal out of last episode?

This show can be so dumb sometimes.

Edited by steelyis
  • Love 1

I thought they incinerated the body too unless Hobbit Sean lied about taking care of that and kept the body instead.  Was the point of putting the body in the water to get it in the water supply?  That made no sense to me at all.

Thanks, Omar G., I thought I was losing it. And we're not the only ones who seem confused. The recapper at the Wall Street Journal, in his Episode 4 recap, said:

Before Eph and Nora can fully process what they’ve just witnessed, though, the old man yells at them to turn around because here comes daddy, all covered in blood from a fresh kill. They back away just in time for old Abe to put the former Gary Arnot down for good. The job isn’t done yet, though. They have to burn the bodies, just as the old man advised and just as they did to Capt. Redfern.

But then, same guy, recapping Episode 6:

Off go Gus and his buddy to do their work — hey, look, CDC stooge Jim Kent is driving — but there’s something really unsettling about all this. Once they get to the spot, Gus’ buddy, intrigued by the squishiness of what’s in the bag, decides he needs to see what’s inside. With a quick zip, out comes the massive stinger from Capt. Redfern’s body.

Not sure if this might be a continuity error, or what. I'll see if I can do a rewatch of Ep. 4 to see what's up.

Finally saw the recent episode. My thoughts:

Souvenir 3D glasses for an eclipse? Really? At least, get some welder's glasses. Boyfriend Matt is now an ass, so of course he deserves what happens to him just like the FBI agents. Fet is cool. I bet his Dad listens to him. So Abraham (24601) is amassing his army. I hope Jim, Gus, and  Felix join up, if they make it. Doesn't look good for Felix, though.

Okay, the most puzzling element of this episode for me was......it was supposedly New Year's Eve and a lunar eclipse and ex-wife and the son were going to school?  Where, why, how, what????  School districts across the nation are closed for New Year's Eve and on New Year's Day (many will reopen on the 2nd).  So, what was the big deal about 'school' and how they couldn't leave because ex-wife had to teach and her son had to attend?  Of course, I may have missed something and it wasn't actually New Year's Eve. 

Other than that, I thought the episode was really intense-especially the basement scene.  And, I was so worried for Abraham not only in the basement (with lots of places for vampires to hide), but with the dropped heart medicine.  I want him to stay alive as he is my favorite character.  I'd rather ex-wife die as she really should listen to her former husband who, well I don't know....works for the CDC!!!

Finally saw the recent episode. My thoughts:

Souvenir 3D glasses for an eclipse? Really? At least, get some welder's glasses. 

Those were fairly normal glasses for eclipse event.  The only thing that seemed a bit different was that so many people had them.  I figure Kelly and Zach had them because of the school (I'm a teacher and we hand out those glasses if there is an eclipse). 

Okay, the most puzzling element of this episode for me was......it was supposedly New Year's Eve and a lunar eclipse and ex-wife and the son were going to school?  Where, why, how, what????  School districts across the nation are closed for New Year's Eve and on New Year's Day (many will reopen on the 2nd).  So, what was the big deal about 'school' and how they couldn't leave because ex-wife had to teach and her son had to attend?  Of course, I may have missed something and it wasn't actually New Year's Eve. 

Definitely not New Year's Eve.  

Bluebonnet, tell me more about these glasses. I looked on line and couldn't find them. I was a Planetarium Education Diector and we had nothing like this. Course this was ages ago and I'd like a pair for the next eclipse. Thanks.

Bluebonnet, tell me more about these glasses. I looked on line and couldn't find them. I was a Planetarium Education Diector and we had nothing like this. Course this was ages ago and I'd like a pair for the next eclipse. Thanks.

There isn't much to tell.  They look exactly like the glasses Kelly and Zach were wearing.  They are fairly flimsy (probably depends on whether they are sold in a store or donated, which ours were) and are highly filtered, I believe with aluminum.  I'm in a very small town school district and the local businesses are the ones who donate the money for the glasses (lots of advertising on the sides, which I always found funny since these stores are the only places to shop anyway).  I just texted a friend who works in a large city school district and she says that the disctrict's safety regulations would never allow students outdoors during a solar eclipse.  I gather it's probably a lot easier for a school to organize this with only a couple hundred students versus a district with thousands.

In any case, you can buy them online.  

• Love 2
Definitely not New Year's Eve.

It's definitely close to New Year's Eve -- the voice from the radio when they show the view of the Earth and the moon from orbit says "Everyone's freaking out.  I mean you've got all the best elements of Times Square and New Year's Eve going on.  You've got pickpockets and perverts doing their thing, and then you've got this added attraction of a lunar event".

That means it has to be either New Year's Eve or the day before that -- which in either case would still mean no school for teachers or students.  So yeah, the Strain writers kind of screwed that up.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

Huh, maybe it is.  I thought that was just one of those standard pseudo-Christrian radio talking heads that was describing how messed up NYC is and used NYE as an example of what things were like.  

ETA: The plane landed on February 8th around 8pm.  

Edited by bluebonnet