Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Occultation

They were retrieving a body that was in the freezer at the hospital.  Pretty sure that's the pilot. 

Yeah, you were right. I did a rewatch of episode 4, and in the post-autopsy scene Eph is dragging a body bag through a walk-in freezer door. The inside is filled with a bright orange light, and later Norah throws a garbage bag in there and they both toss their gloves in too, so I guess I read that as "flame-filled incinerator" at the time. But even on re-watch, I had to repeat that scene a couple of times to make sure.

Compound that with the fact that I must have missed the bit this week where Gus meets Jim at the hospital (I was doing laundry while watching), and just came in when they arrived at the waterfront to dump the body. So, mystery solved.

But... it still seems odd that retrieving the pilot's body and making it disappear seemed of such importance to Stoneheart/Eichorst. Not to mention that after the head-bashing and the autopsy, he's been rendered unrecognizable anyway. I'd say it's just plot manipulation to get Gus and Jim (and eventually Eph, Abe and Norah) together.

It's definitely close to New Year's Eve -- the voice from the radio when they show the view of the Earth and the moon from orbit says "Everyone's freaking out.  I mean you've got all the best elements of Times Square and New Year's Eve going on.  You've got pickpockets and perverts doing their thing, and then you've got this added attraction of a lunar event".

That means it has to be either New Year's Eve or the day before that -- which in either case would still mean no school for teachers or students.  So yeah, the Strain writers kind of screwed that up.

I think they were comparing the atmosphere to that of New Year's Eve in Times Square. It was horrible and confusing writing, but if this was just after Christmas I'd expect decorations everywhere and there's been no sign of that anywhere.

• Love 1

I think they were comparing the atmosphere to that of New Year's Eve in Times Square. It was horrible and confusing writing, but if this was just after Christmas I'd expect decorations everywhere and there's been no sign of that anywhere.

Agreed, vibeology. I think it was a comparison to NYE, not actually saying it was NYE.

• Love 1

The inside is filled with a bright orange light, and later Norah throws a garbage bag in there and they both toss their gloves in too, so I guess I read that as "flame-filled incinerator" at the time. But even on re-watch, I had to repeat that scene a couple of times to make sure.

I thought it was an incinerator, too, and couldn't understand whose body was in the bag in this episode. Putting the pilot's body and all the associated autopsy accouterments into a freezer seems like a really, really bad idea. Anybody could walk in there and end up touching that gross, highly infections mess. But, hey, it's not like these people work with the CDC and know any better...

I hope that in this chaos some pharmacies are still open. Abe needs his meds!

If it's not What The Redfern Grows, then I don't know who it's supposed to be, really. Wouldn't make sense if it's a random vampire we haven't seen before and all the ones who've turned wouldn't have been in that freezer. 

I guess chalk it up to a continuity error?

I thought it was an incinerator, too, and couldn't understand whose body was in the bag in this episode. Putting the pilot's body and all the associated autopsy accouterments into a freezer seems like a really, really bad idea.

I know, right? But thanks for backing me up on that, it's good to know it wasn't just me. And as far as the body in the river goes, I'm sticking with my theory that it's all in the name of having some of the various plots / characters converge.

They just released the guy from the hospital here in Atlanta that had the Ebola virus.  The women that also had the virus was release a couple of days ago without telling the press she was being discharged. 

Ok so is it bad of me to have flashbacks to this show and how it all goes down when they released the "survivors" from the ill fated plane?  She leaves the hospital but tells no one and has not been seen in public since then?  He was on TV today thanking the hospital caregivers for the great job they did and I am looking for a enlarged neck on the guy!

I am just sayin'.

• Love 1

It's definitely close to New Year's Eve -- the voice from the radio when they show the view of the Earth and the moon from orbit says "Everyone's freaking out.  I mean you've got all the best elements of Times Square and New Year's Eve going on.  You've got pickpockets and perverts doing their thing, and then you've got this added attraction of a lunar event".

That means it has to be either New Year's Eve or the day before that -- which in either case would still mean no school for teachers or students.  So yeah, the Strain writers kind of screwed that up.

I think the Times Square/New Year's Eve reference was an easy connection that people could relate to to explain the sheer number of people out on the street for the eclipse. It is supposed to be New York, at most people are wearing light jackets, they are still sitting in the backyard with no jackets, that ain't New York at the end of December/beginning of January. At best, I say it is supposed to be early spring or late fall.

They're going to have to start recruiting more members for their Zampire Killing Team, and stat. Eph, a reluctant Nora, Abe/Walder Frey, Gus and (Boba) Fet just ain't gonna get the job done. I thought they were setting up the cleaner guy from a couple of episodes back, because nothing seemed to faze him, buy he lasted all of five minutes. And even if the internet Is down, people can still take pictures and videos on their cameras. Hopefully they won't expect us to believe the idea that none of the authorities know what going on with so many people turning in so many different locations.

Quick prediction - Nora's mother will turn and Nora will be forced to cut her head off. Nora will feel a sense of relief as a result.

Quick prediction - Nora's mother will turn and Nora will be forced to cut her head off. Nora will feel a sense of relief as a result.

I just hope it isn't too much of a retread of Andrea & Amy fromThe Walking Dead.

It took 6 episodes, but this show finally had a scene that got to me.  The family and friends of one of the supposedly dead plane passengers got together for a wake.  they brought food and wine, and the local priest arrived to help the bereaved.  Then the dead guy shows up, drags them into the basement and, based on all the blood on the basement walls, put the bite on then one after the other.  

When the old guy showed up with his sword, most of the vampires were holding each other, still not completely turned, but no longer human either; trying to comfort each other.  The tragedy of this show isn't that random monsters are attacking people in the streets, but that dead people are feeding on their own families and friends--the ultimate betrayal.

Best scene in this show so far.

I didn't appreciate this scene until rewatch. I couldn't get past that Kool-Aid masquerading as red wine at the wake.

I don't care how messy your divorce is when your ex husband who works for the CDC tells you to get out of town you get the fuck out of town! It's not like he's asking you to run away with him. And why didn't Eph show his wife the video he made such a big deal out of last episode?

This show can be so dumb sometimes.

Very much this. I was so chilled when Eph whispered, "Run," as they were dragging him out the house.

• Love 2

One (of many) reason I love this site is that when I'm confused about something, you all will help me figure it out.  Thanks so much for clarifying that the DJ was saying it was like New Year's Eve.  I was trying to pay attention and was sure that was what I heard.  It makes so much more sense that they were making comparisons.  I agree with others that it wasn't really clear.  Sigh.

One (of many) reason I love this site is that when I'm confused about something, you all will help me figure it out.  Thanks so much for clarifying that the DJ was saying it was like New Year's Eve.  I was trying to pay attention and was sure that was what I heard.  It makes so much more sense that they were making comparisons.  I agree with others that it wasn't really clear.  Sigh.

Me too -- I was convinced it was New Year's based on the radio DJ as well (though I'm still curious what the pickpockets and perverts were doing because of the lunar eclipse -- did people travel just to New York to watch the eclipse, because when they showed that shot from space the moon's shadow covered a lot of North America ?).  

Thanks everyone, especially @bluebonnet for finding a date reference, for clarifying.

Poor Abraham is really getting too old for this shit. I giggled and was sad when he tried to recruit the cab driver after his near miss at one of the passenger's homes. . .

I felt so bad for Abraham when he was in the back of that cab. He realizes that he can't physically do the job anymore, sees that Eph has been arrested, and is reduced to recruiting some random dude to help him save humanity.