Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Legendary Legend Looks

• Start Topic

Fashion Icon and Supermodel of the World, Rupaul, challenges the crowned queens to use their divine design skills to transform eight of her legendary looks. Iconic and effervescent designer Betsey Johnson spices up the judges' panel. Air Date: Jun 23, 2022 

(edited)

I was so happy with the top 2 this week, but thought Jaida should have won the lip synch.

Not sure what Trinity’s strategy was in blocking Yvie (except Yvie being one of the double-starred queens) but at this point they are all bringing it every week 

Edited by Nilknarf
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Nilknarf said:

I was so happy with the top 2 this week, but thought Jaida should have won the lip synch.

Not sure what Trinity’s strategy was in blocking Yvie (except Yvie being one of the double-starred queens) but at this point they are all bringing it every week 

Are you talking about the episode that will air tonight for what I thought was most of us?

I was a little underwhelmed with this episode and didn’t actually love most of the looks.  And you know, someone really needs to block Jaida, because they are severely underestimating her.  She is visually stunning, she’s funny, and she can really sell whatever she’s doing by charming everyone’s socks off.  They’re focusing on Jinkx, and while I adore Jinkx and definitely think she’s among the very best this show has ever given us, nobody seems to be looking in Jaida’s direction and they really should.

Raja really seems to be getting very little recognition from the judges this season.  She was THE fashion queen for the longest time, but it seems that…for the judges at least…Trinity and Jaida have taken that title from her, and Viv is hot on their heels.

My top four preference would be Jinkx, Jaida, Raja, and Trinity with Jinkx winning.  I do think Jinkx will be there, and maybe Jaida, too.  But the other spots, I just don’t know.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I dunno. I loved this episode. But I am loving every episode. If it makes me laugh out loud at any point, especially with the way things are in the U.S. now, it gets a big thumbs up from me. My top two are Jinkx and Jaida.

I love Jinkx. I liked well enough her in her season, but I love her in this iteration. When she had the laughing fit I was snickering along. She's very kooky, but in an endearing way (at least to me). Compared to everyone else, I feel like she's really not super strong with lip syncing unless it's a specific type of song. I sort of think unless the song is right (and that's a big caveat) Raja is the only once she will beat.

I also love Jaida. Do you guys listen and/or watch Hall & Closet with Jaida and Heidi? Recommend! Jaida is just so talented. I thought she did well in the lip sync and was slightly surprised she lost. If someone doesn't block her next week they are making a big mistake. Actually, with having 3 stars now is she guaranteed a spot at the end? Do we know how many of them are in the final lip sync? She's strong in lip syncing, so I'd be a little worried if I were anyone else.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, RoxiP said:

Are you talking about the episode that will air tonight for what I thought was most of us?

I don't understand what you mean by "will air tonight".  Episodes are available for watching at midnight on Friday mornings, streaming on Paramount+. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I (small voice) didn't love Raja's look. I know, I know, but I thought she and Yvie actually sewed each other's designs. 

Jaida's look was gorgeous. Trinity is a wonderful seamstress, and her gown was lovely, but it didn't blow me away for some reason.

• Love 4

I don’t know why Trinity thought Yvie was on such an upswing. She won one star, after weeks of not winning. The second star was gifted, because she wasn’t seen as much of a threat. That doesn’t speak momentum to me.

Or maybe I’m just bitter, because I love Yvie and I’m frustrated that she hasn’t been able to break through the pack and really shine like I know she can. My dream final two would be Yvie and Jinkx. And I would like the winner to be determined by a laugh-off. Whose is most fun and infectious? Hard to say.

Speaking of bitter: The Vivienne. She needs to look to Jinkx for some lessons in accepting the penalty with class and humor.

I knew Trinity won that lip synch the second she slid up Jaida’s ass. Not only was it a perfectly executed move, it stopped Jaida from following through on whatever she was about to spring. I’m not a big Trinity fan, but she earned that one.

• Love 5

Pinterest is that crappy clickbait site that comes up in googles image searches all the time and tries to make you register; it did not deserve it's own challenge here.  Honestly, some of these looks weren't Ru's best either.  I don't agree with Jaida being top 2; her dress owes too much to the choice of fabric, and was too simplistic for my taste; there's no way it was better or more innovative than Yvie's pants and overall look.   I agree Trinity was going to be top 2, but with Yvie or Raja.  The rest of the looks tended to be unfinished (Shea, Jinx) too derivative of Ru's original look (Viv, Jaida) or just garish (Monet.) 

• Love 2
On 6/24/2022 at 7:24 AM, Nilknarf said:

INot sure what Trinity’s strategy was in blocking Yvie (except Yvie being one of the double-starred queens) but at this point they are all bringing it every week 

I think she thinks Yvie's about to peak.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

I thought this episode was kind of boring, there was nothing to it but the runway. I thought Evie and Trinity were the top. Jaida looked beautiful but her dress was great because of the fabric and it looked too close to Ru’s original. I’m still missing some critique so I guess I’ll add my own.

Monet’s outfit wasn’t flattering to her and looked too close to Ru’s original. My darling Jinkx and Viviene had boring outfits. Shea had a scarf with the same pattern as the original but the rest was basic. Raja’s just slightly missed the mark for me.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4
On 6/24/2022 at 10:24 AM, Nilknarf said:

Trinity could either block someone with only one star, or block Jinkx or Yvie. I think Trinity knew that she'd come across badly if she was responsible for JInkx being blocked for the second week in a row.

Plus, if I were one of these contestants, I'd do what I could to prevent lip sync assassin Yvie from getting to the finale.

(Also, Ru is going to put Jinkx into the finale by any means necessary, so there's not much point in trying to stop her.)

• Like 2
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I don’t know why Trinity thought Yvie was on such an upswing. She won one star, after weeks of not winning. The second star was gifted, because she wasn’t seen as much of a threat. That doesn’t speak momentum to me.

Or maybe I’m just bitter, because I love Yvie and I’m frustrated that she hasn’t been able to break through the pack and really shine like I know she can. My dream final two would be Yvie and Jinkx. And I would like the winner to be determined by a laugh-off. Whose is most fun and infectious? Hard to say.

Speaking of bitter: The Vivienne. She needs to look to Jinkx for some lessons in accepting the penalty with class and humor.

I knew Trinity won that lip synch the second she slid up Jaida’s ass. Not only was it a perfectly executed move, it stopped Jaida from following through on whatever she was about to spring. I’m not a big Trinity fan, but she earned that one.

I love your post!

I think Trinity wanted to block someone that has some stars that hasn't been blocked yet.  She's smart to play the game strategically because if the queens go after Jinkx relentlessly, fans will be upset.  If Jinkx doesn't make it to the final 4 due to blocking, it will be seen as unfair, with the talent she has displayed in the challenges.  If she does make it to the final four, I agree that a laugh-off would be the way to go!  😉

• Sad 1

I agree this episode was a bit boring mainly because it was just design and runway, there was no 'skits' or anything to break things up. Jinkx's giggle breakdown over her self awareness that she can't do sewing/design challenges was probably one of the high points. 

But this ep really needed a minichallenge at the start just to have something else going on. 

Also, when you give the contestants a choice, you really should make sure there are +1 choices to the number of contestants (if not +2 or more) so the last picker will still have a choice to make. Ru's had more than enough looks through the years to give multiple choices and still satisfy some underlying criteria that might be in play. 

Looking on the Wiki page, only Jaida and Raja haven't been blocked yet, So Jaida's probably going to be blocked next week unless she gets Top 2. Especially since she's at 3 stars. Hell, if she wins she'd probably still block herself because it's the most logical choice. :) 

I do wonder how they'll react when they've all been blocked and realize there isn't a "secret" to the plunger.  I'm sure they'll all have a good laugh about it; just a matter of if they reveal it when Jaida or Raja get it next, or if they reveal it when the last one gets it. 

• Love 1

I wonder if they know by this point that there is no power to the plunger, because there really hasn't been any chatting about it or hypothesizing. Unless they edited it out, but...why would they? My guess is they figured it was just a tease and ignored it.

I really didn't think too much of Monet's look honestly. Too simple, and the colored fabric was doing all the work. The hat was fine I guess, but compared to the others? Not a big deal.

Trinity was incredible, pulling that look together AND helping other people? Daaaaaang.

I have to say I'm loving Yvie's looks for the lip synchs she never gets to perform. We never get enough time to see these looks before they're sent off the to sidelines, and I wish we could get a look at them. Some of the Queens are pulling together great stuff that we barely get to see.

Jaida looked great and I'm surprised she didn't win the lip synch.

But then, I was seriously impressed with Jinx. I suppose she just layed the crystal covered fabric across the corset strategically and glued, but it looked terrific. And reinterpreting it as a saloon girl/Moulin Rouge/asymmetrical look was really smart. She looked terrific.

I felt badly for Raja because the execution didn't come together at all. The ponytail was cool but the rest looked like a toilet clog.

I really want to see Jinx win this, but I'm not sure who she'd need to be up against for that to happen. I feel like we need some Willow Pill-level scheming at this point. In a lip synch, who could Jinx beat?

As much as they're all great and technically could win, I really want it to be Jinx. She's such a fun weirdo with good energy.

• Love 8

I actually appreciated having additional time to how the looks came together. It’s fun to see how designs evolve from initial concept, and how problems get solved. It was like Project Runway: Drag Queen Edition! (a spin-off I would totally watch, BTW.)

The singular focus also allowed more time for workroom hijinkx (see what I did there? 😉) and gossip. Not a lot happened, but I thought it was a very good episode.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I felt badly for Raja because the execution didn't come together at all. The ponytail was cool but the rest looked like a toilet clog.

I feel bad for laughing at this!

I adore Raja, and I was pissed that she didn't get any stars in the first four episodes. But she screwed the pooch here. She was one of the weakest contestants in a design challenge, which is all kinds of disappointing.

I'd like to see her in the final four, but I can accept it if she's not. She's great at certain things, but she's shown a decent number of weaknesses along the way. If the four queens who currently have multiple stars (Jaida, JInkx, Yvie and Trinity) are the ones who lip sync in the finale, I'd be okay with that.

Despite Jinkx not being one of the better lip syncers, I can see her winning it all. If the final lip sync is a show tune, or something silly, she'll probably have it in the bag. I could see Ru using something like "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" from Dreamgirls as the finale lip sync song. (I know it's already been used, but it wouldn't be the first time a song was used twice on this show.)

4 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I really want to see Jinx win this, but I'm not sure who she'd need to be up against for that to happen. I feel like we need some Willow Pill-level scheming at this point. In a lip synch, who could Jinx beat?

Well, so far she’s beaten Trinity and Raja.  In her winning season she only had to LSFYL once, against Detox, and she beat her.  I think she’s got a helluva lot more skill at the LSFYLs than people think.  Girl knows how to win!

• Like 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, CraftyHazel said:

Well, so far she’s beaten Trinity and Raja.  In her winning season she only had to LSFYL once, against Detox, and she beat her.  I think she’s got a helluva lot more skill at the LSFYLs than people think.  Girl knows how to win!

I think it's a good bet that, if Jinkx makes the final four, we're going to see something like "San Francisco" (Jeanette, not Tony), or "Mein Herr", or "Wuthering Heights" up there, just for her, and just as they loaded up Latrice's lipsyncs with classic R&B hits. I am not complaining about this. 

• Love 3

Having the Winners Lip Sync for Your Legacy helps the weaker lip sync queens I think, because it gives them more chances to practice without the risk of being eliminated. Unlike the main series where a good queen will never Lip Sync until the end, so they never get a chance to tell if their style of lip sync works or not, and to get any other sort of feedback until it's basically too late. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm not sure there really is a strategy to be had when it comes to blocking. Bearing in mind Jinkx is my favorite and I want her to win, it probably IS smarter to block her every week she isn't in the top 2, because Jinkx not being top 2 means it was a design or dance challenge which means the next challenge will likely be acting, which she will win.

Jaida as a lot of people have mentioned is underestimated which imo resulted in her getting the 2nd star--Jinkx thought she could be counted on to stay middle of the pack and banked on being able to win the next challenge and get a third star for herself. I don't see Jaida remaining unblocked for long. It's her turn.

Everyone else, it's such a crapshoot. One person one week has a look Ru likes a little less for some tiny reason and they're out of the top 2. I don't believe people are "on the rise" or "peaking" (or conversely that Shea and Monet are fading). I think everyone is very talented and it's coming down to very tiny details, production wants, and Ru being Ru. 

Spoiler

If spoilers are true none of this even matters because the talent show is coming and winners get 2 stars to keep for themselves. Shea and Monet win, following round 1 of tied queens lipsyncing the final four is allegedly Shea or Jaida (conflicting info), Monet, Trinity, and Jinkx.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, CraftyHazel said:

Personally, I would love to see Ru get a song from Florence and the Machine, which seems right in Jinkx’s wheelhouse.  Pretty unlikely, I know, but I can want what I want.

RuPaul resposne #1: "Florence who? Oh, you mean Florence Ballard. But you're telling me I should play a song by one of the Supremes without Diana? How dare you!"

RuPaul response #2: "Dog Days are Over? Okay, I saw "Eat Pray Love" on the plane, and it was in that, so it will make me hip to the Gen X kids".

RuPaul response #3: Blank stare.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • LOL 3

I have to root for Raja, cuz I totally adore her. But, I don't really think she deserves to win this thing over some of the other queens. OMG is she gorgeous, though. That skin! That hair! Damn. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

I have to root for Raja, cuz I totally adore her. But, I don't really think she deserves to win this thing over some of the other queens. OMG is she gorgeous, though. That skin! That hair! Damn. 

I do think Raja is absolutely stunning, maybe even more so than Jaida.  But I can never root against Jinkx, unless maybe she was competing against BenDeLaCreme….then I’d just have to not care who won!

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, CraftyHazel said:

But I can never root against Jinkx, unless maybe she was competing against BenDeLaCreme….then I’d just have to not care who won!

If Jinkx doesn't win, I totally want her to set up a Victorian whorehouse LARPing tour company with DeLa in Seattle. It'll be bigger than the 1962 World's Fair!

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 6/24/2022 at 7:03 PM, Christine said:

I don't understand what you mean by "will air tonight".  Episodes are available for watching at midnight on Friday mornings, streaming on Paramount+. 

LOL...I'll just have to remember not to look online until after I watch the episode...which for me this weekend took 3 days because the internet where I live (which at best is barely adequate) was horrible!  I still haven't watched Untucked.  I finished up watching this episode on my phone in the wee small hours of the morning this morning.

On 6/25/2022 at 11:56 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

I think it's a good bet that, if Jinkx makes the final four, we're going to see something like "San Francisco" (Jeanette, not Tony), or "Mein Herr", or "Wuthering Heights" up there, just for her, and just as they loaded up Latrice's lipsyncs with classic R&B hits. I am not complaining about this. 

Wouldn't the "I'm Tired" song from Blazing Saddles be a great song for Jinkx?  

• Love 2
(edited)

I think RuPaul is well aware that Jinkx is a fan favorite and needs her to be in the final.  I could easily hear RuPaul saying no queen may be blocked more than X times, or even push Jinx into a weekly win over a more deserving queen just because she was blocked, therefore ensuring she won't be blocked consecutive weeks.

And I don't have a problem with that.  I am not a fan of the plunger.

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Love 4

I find it curious that right after we had 2 badges go unused due to blocking, we got a reward that tossed 2 extra badges into the mix. 

It makes me wonder if the show has a certain number of badges they want to have in play, so if too many blocked people win, the extra badges have to be thrown into the mix. 

It didn't happen this time, but so far they're Blocking 500 (3 out of 6 blocks have blocked a Legendary Legend Star), and at the moment The Vivienne's star is unused. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, hatchetgirl said:

I have a feeling if everyone keeps blocking Jinxx, Ru will do one of her "oh well, didn't I tell you that the the person with XXX blah blah blah gets to compete in the final 4 because I said so?"  :)

Tooootally. I could see all of these things happening if Jinkx wasn't in the final four:

1. My queens! Using Dru-no we will unblock one of the blocked contestants...Jinkx Monsoon, you have been flushed! Welcome to the final four. 

2. Reach for the stars, queens! One of these balloons has a legendary legends star inside. Simply reach for the balloon and the lucky "popper" *pauses bc it's a gay sex joke* will move on to the final. Oh look, Jinkx is in the final four, must have been written.....in the stars.

3. I'm RuPaul and this is my show, I've decided to award Jinkx a star because I just feel like it, fuck you. 

• Sad 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, The Mighty Peanut said:

Tooootally. I could see all of these things happening if Jinkx wasn't in the final four:

1. My queens! Using Dru-no we will unblock one of the blocked contestants...Jinkx Monsoon, you have been flushed! Welcome to the final four. 

2. Reach for the stars, queens! One of these balloons has a legendary legends star inside. Simply reach for the balloon and the lucky "popper" *pauses bc it's a gay sex joke* will move on to the final. Oh look, Jinkx is in the final four, must have been written.....in the stars.

3. I'm RuPaul and this is my show, I've decided to award Jinkx a star because I just feel like it, fuck you. 

I think Jinkx will get her own stars; it's the lack of progress (and possible subsequent tomfoolery) for Monet and Shea that may happen.  I'm not a big fan of either one of the latter two; I'd rather see Yvie or Jaida.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Christine said:

I think Jinkx will get her own stars; it's the lack of progress (and possible subsequent tomfoolery) for Monet and Shea that may happen.  I'm not a big fan of either one of the latter two; I'd rather see Yvie or Jaida.

I agree.  Monet, Shea and Viv are strong nos for me.  Raja and Trinity are okay. Yvie and Jaida are favorites and Jinkx is my queen.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I feel I should have Jinkx & Yvie's laughs on my cell as text alerts so I can hear them every day.

I wasn't feeling this episode. I'm glad Jaida won another star and will paraphrase what Willow Pill said in the Pit Stop ep.w/ Bob: Jaida is playing the game that Monet thinks she's playing. Sly girl.I like her so much. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I was expecting more from Betsey Johnson in terms of discussing fashion. I'm not sure what, but it wasn't that! She loved Monet's hideous and derivative skin suit?! After all that, the right two were top two. For a while there I was scared.

Keep forgetting to watch Untucked, but I enjoyed Betsey in the workroom more. I hope her ankle heals well. Ouch.

Viv has just really made watching awkward and uncomfortable.  This season, my husband and I are enjoying the professional and friendly rivalry going on and she keeps bringing up this baloney!  We get it Viv, you're here to win, not make friends.  Oddly enough, the others appear to be there to win as well - and are able to be friends!  

• Love 1

I don't get the sense that Viv isn't making friends...I just think she's more honest in her talking heads than the others.  She's also pretty blunt but then again she hasn't had the experience of making the Drag Race rounds with these girls like they all have with one another...for the most part I suspect a lot of these queens have worked with one another on various projects and she is kind of the odd girl out.  She doesn't have the years of relationship that some of these girls have.

Funny thing - I didn't like her at first but she's grown on me.  

On 6/28/2022 at 2:43 PM, Kaboom 2.0 said:

I'm glad Jaida won another star and will paraphrase what Willow Pill said in the Pit Stop ep.w/ Bob: Jaida is playing the game that Monet thinks she's playing. Sly girl.I like her so much. 

I agree. She's kind of literally doing the "look over there!!" thing but being smart enough not to call back to it.