Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06 Herogasm

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I interpreted that as Butcher being fine with being killed if it took Homelander out too, but not wanting Hughie to die for helping them. I don't really see Butcher as someone who enjoys or values his own life much, outside of his obsession with vengeance.

I think Annie is so focused on Soldier Boy being the utmost threat because she just witnessed a houseful of people being killed or horribly maimed as collateral damage of one of his meltdowns, and the explosion in NYC that demolished a building and killed at least 19 others is fresh on her mind. She knows rationally that Homelander has been responsible for the deaths of numerous people, but she wasn't there to actually see it happen like Maeve was, and the one person she's seen dead at his hands in grisly fashion was both a willing co-conspirator of hers who accepted the risk and a fellow super. We as an audience can sit back and assess Homelander as the greater threat and a more malevolent one, but the most horrible stuff she's seen has been due to Soldier Boy, and she has no experience or even secondhand knowledge of his motivations (thanks Hughie!).

There is one point when you have Butchers perspective looking at hughie and getting a flash of Ryan. Highie’s his mentee and he’s responsible. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I interpreted that as Butcher being fine with being killed if it took Homelander out too, but not wanting Hughie to die for helping them. I don't really see Butcher as someone who enjoys or values his own life much, outside of his obsession with vengeance.

I can see that. I don't disagree.

I did a lot of assuming. The only thing that has me leaning the other way is that, although I didn't read the comics, I assume Homelander is indestructible and therefore would survive the blast. I assume they thought that Homelander would survive, just with no powers. Kimiko was not exactly an all-powerful indestructible supe but she survived, and they saw that firsthand.

37 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

I did a lot of assuming. The only thing that has me leaning the other way is that, although I didn't read the comics, I assume Homelander is indestructible and therefore would survive the blast. I assume they thought that Homelander would survive, just with no powers. Kimiko was not exactly an all-powerful indestructible supe but she survived, and they saw that firsthand.

They went to Russia to find the weapon that killed Soldier Boy fully believing that anything that could kill SB would kill Homelander.  Butcher's plan has alway been to kill Homelander, the weapon just changed.

I don't know why Kimiko didn't die the way Countess and the Twins did. Maybe it has something to do with her healing/regenitive powers? Whatever happened to her, I don't think it's permanent. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I don't know why Kimiko didn't die the way Countess and the Twins did. Maybe it has something to do with her healing/regenitive powers? Whatever happened to her, I don't think it's permanent. 

I may be misremembering, but I don't think Kimiko got the full blast.  It wasn't aimed at her; she just jumped in the way and got blasted through a wall (which is what I thought did the damage).  

ETA: So maybe the off-angle just damped her regenerative powers, which is why the wall did so much damage without killing her outright. (And may be why/if she gets her powers back?)

Edited by ahrtee
  • Useful 4
45 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

I may be misremembering, but I don't think Kimiko got the full blast.  It wasn't aimed at her; she just jumped in the way and got blasted through a wall (which is what I thought did the damage).  

ETA: So maybe the off-angle just damped her regenerative powers, which is why the wall did so much damage without killing her outright. (And may be why/if she gets her powers back?)

That’s what I’m thinking or maybe SB wasn’t at full power when he blasted Kimiko since he was still drugged up. With CC and the TNT twins when he was at full strength he destroyed the entire building along with the murders. In Russia the only one affected was the one that his blast was aimed towards.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

Frenchie and Kimiko is the best relationship on this show.  Hughie and Amy the worst.  They have no chemistry whatsoever.  Of course, I don't see Hughie having much chemistry with anyone, he's so lacking in confidence and insecure.

Ackles has brought a lot to the table this season with Solder Boy, and I'm not surprised after watching him in Supernatural all those years.

Homelander coming apart at the seams this season has been fascinating to watch.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I don't know why Kimiko didn't die the way Countess and the Twins did. Maybe it has something to do with her healing/regenitive powers?

That is what I think. I think the reason she didn't die was because of her power of healing and regenerating. She was extremely durable and she had healing powers. That is why I think she survived.

I took that and applied it to Homelander because he's also extremely durable, even moreso than Kimiko, and I assume he's indestructible. That's why I think he would survive. That's why I thought the plan was a two-step process, which is (1) make Homelander vulnerable, and (2) kill him. I didn't think it was a two-in-one process.

Whatever happened to her, I don't think it's permanent. 

After watching this episode, I think the same.

28 minutes ago, Dobian said:

Frenchie and Kimiko is the best relationship on this show.

I have such a soft spot in my heart for Kimiko.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, Dobian said:

Frenchie and Kimiko is the best relationship on this show. 

Facts. When they're talking at the end, and they're both so fucked up from what just happened, but all each one cares about is comforting the other? They're just so kind-hearted and gentle toward each other, and it makes for something very healthy and lovely and pure.

(Yes, I know they've both been killers for hire. Let's ignore that inconvenient fact for the moment.)

• Like 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
17 hours ago, AntFTW said:

Obviously the fight in this episode was exciting.  We are learning what's can do by observing because he doesn't know what he can do in that regard... he blacks out and does not remember almost every blast except presumably the CC one. It looked like his first blast was possibly uncontrolled too... IDK ... because he woke up and was angsty. Once Kimiko and Frenchie get back with them they may start analyzing his power and the blasts.

I see Homelander/SB/Butcher ending in a cliffhanger.

If/when Homelander dies it's at the very end of this and in the comics.... see spoiler and spec thread

Edited by Castiels Cat
  • Love 1
On 6/24/2022 at 1:56 PM, StarBrand said:

I knew I was in for something when I read the sarcastic disclaimer.

When Solider Boy talked about Cosby being America's dad, and "always making the best drinks", I had to pause momentarily and laugh out loud.  With all the stuff that happened, that was a drop in the bucket, but it's quite often the little things in this show that amuse me so.

I loved the little part when Hughie was asking Soldier Boy if he knew what the internet was and etc. and Soldier Boy's response was "You just made those words up, didn't you?" Jensen's delivery of them was so funny.

And Starlight explaining how good MM is at performing certain sex acts so they could both be admitted into Herogasm.

Yes, it's often the little things that get to me more, too; and not just in the comedic vein. I also love so many of the emotional beats that we've been given this season even when there's very little or no dialogue involved. And I'll add that, IMO, this season seems to hold so many more of those lovely and very subtle emotional beats than the previous seasons.

I think that's why I'm finding so much more enjoyment in the show this year than I ever have before.

I used to wait for the weekend to watch the show, no matter when it dropped. Now I find myself counting down the minutes and waiting with remote in hand for it to drop. 

3 hours ago, Castiels Cat said:

I see Homelander/SB/Butcher ending in a cliffhanger

I could live with this. 

• Love 1
(edited)
5 minutes ago, MAK said:

I thought the Emmanuel Lewis reference in regards to Butcher killing Gunpowder was funny too.

Yes! 

Loved that too!! 😄

Edited by Myrelle
12 minutes ago, MAK said:

I thought the Emmanuel Lewis reference in regards to Butcher killing Gunpowder was funny too.

Wait. I missed that. I mean I remember the Emmanuel Lewis comment but, missed that it was in reference to Gunpowder.

(edited)

Wait. I missed that. I mean I remember the Emmanuel Lewis comment but, missed that it was in reference to Gunpowder.

When Butcher says he took care of Gun Powder, SB made a comment that it was lie taking out Emmanuel Lewis.  Here is a mid-1980s picture

0EADEC5B-5D72-4897-9A7D-8B8F48EEDF8F.thumb.jpeg.49a96a0500b8fe1526b958148b12071a.jpeg

Edited by roamyn
15 minutes ago, roamyn said:

When Butcher says he took care of Gun Powder, SB made a comment that it was lie taking out Emmanuel Lewis.  Here is a mid-1980s picture

Oh wow, thanks. I totally missed it. I even remember thinking during the episode what happens if SA finds out that Butcher killed Gunpowder and he wasn't in on the plot?  I can't believe i missed it.🤦‍♀️

9 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Oh wow, thanks. I totally missed it. I even remember thinking during the episode what happens if SA finds out that Butcher killed Gunpowder and he wasn't in on the plot?  I can't believe i missed it.🤦‍♀️

And clearly SB is still thinking of Gunpowder as a teen, since that's how he last knew him. I wonder what he would've thought about how he turned out.

The showrunners way overhyped Herogasm.  In the comics it was depicted as a naked weeklong sex party on an island that is like Vegas on steroids.  The articles talking about the episode in the show made it out to be incredibly shocking.  We had the actors talking about how uncomfortable it was to be surrounded by all these naked extras, and they've seen things that they don't want to talk about, etc.

Then we see the show and it's like ho-hum, party in two aging losers' basement.  I guess I wish we had seen more displays of actual superhero powers from the participants.  Apart from the guy who flashed some green electric eyes, the guy with crotch flame, and Love Sausage, the people at that party could have been regular people.

On 6/23/2022 at 8:54 PM, PurpleTentacle said:

[Soldier Boy] does seem evil in the way a lot of these supes are. By callously disregarding other people's lifes, feelings, etc. He just threw a car through a house people lived in and apparently killed not just the one family, but a bunch. Also you know there had to be some reason why his team hated him so much, they sold him out to the russians for free.

Agreed, I don't think any of the supes ever think about the consequences, which is what the premise of the show was to start.  A Train accidentally killing Robin.  Crimson Countess blasting into the amusement park crowd and blowing up the costumed character, without any care of who she might hurt.  I don't see Soldier Boy as any different in terms of callousness.

On 6/24/2022 at 2:29 AM, AnimeMania said:

Best Laugh: Hughie popped Starlight out of her Superhero Suit. That would be a great move if Hughie was a Super Villain and he was fighting a female Superhero in front of a crowd.

Not sure why it's any more embarrassing/funny for a female supe to get popped out of her clothes than a male supe.  The way Hughie's powers work, seems truly just an excuse to make more of the cast get naked.  I think this episode was the first naked appearance of the series for Starlight and Frenchie, is that right?

I read an article where the showrunners said they wanted to make things realistic and that's why Hughie teleports naked, because he can only teleport organic matter.  Well... why?  Nobody in comic books who can teleport has to do so naked.  Human Torch doesn't have to fly around butt naked because he burns his clothes off, he wears a specially made suit.  Characters who can teleport should be able to teleport things they are touching if the creators determine that's how their powers work.

On 6/24/2022 at 9:18 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Looking back, I think Ashley telling A-Train off was the most enjoyable moment of the episode for me.

On 6/24/2022 at 9:23 PM, DeeDee79 said:

It was so-so for me. Probably because I despise both characters. A Train is worse of course but I've thought that Ashley was shitty from the beginning. 

Agree with the second comment.  I despise both of these characters as well.  A Train is a complete self-centered ass and deserves every bit of karma that comes his way.  I really do hope he died of heart failure but I wouldn't be surprised if he survives.  I've never liked Ashley either from the start.  And she's gotten so much worse now that she is CEO.

On 6/25/2022 at 12:04 PM, Myrelle said:

And Homelander can also fly, something else I'm wondering if Soldier Boy has ever encountered in a supe before.

Well, he knew Liberty / Stormfront and she could fly.  Now of course she might not have used her flight powers as Liberty, but it's not unheard of.

7 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

And clearly SB is still thinking of Gunpowder as a teen, since that's how he last knew him. I wonder what he would've thought about how he turned out.

I think he was pretty appalled by the way his whole team turned out--CC and the twins certainly weren't anything to be proud of.  

• Like 3

Ackles has brought a lot to the table this season with Solder Boy, and I'm not surprised after watching him in Supernatural all those years.

I'm not really seeing it. And I say that as someone who watched all fifteen seasons of Supernatural and have no problem with Jensen Ackles. But he's been pretty one-note so far on this show IMO. That may have a lot to do with the writing; until this episode where he's recounting the explosion in Manhattan, he hasn't been given much to do. But even there he maintained his monotonous, brooding comportment. 

Now, I realize a lot of people would defend him by saying that's how he's interpreting the character, being directed, etc. But either he chooses to play the same types of characters in everything he does or he just doesn't have a lot of range.

• Love 6
(edited)
28 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm not really seeing it. And I say that as someone who watched all fifteen seasons of Supernatural and have no problem with Jensen Ackles. But he's been pretty one-note so far on this show IMO. That may have a lot to do with the writing; until this episode where he's recounting the explosion in Manhattan, he hasn't been given much to do. But even there he maintained his monotonous, brooding comportment. 

Now, I realize a lot of people would defend him by saying that's how he's interpreting the character, being directed, etc. But either he chooses to play the same types of characters in everything he does or he just doesn't have a lot of range.

Agree completely... I get that some think that Jensen Ackles walks on water and that if he farted, some would praise it as the greatest fart that ever sounded on TV, and embark upon an extensive analysis and discussion of the pitch and tone and duration.  "OMG that fart was a thing of beauty.  It started out low and drawn out and slowly increased in pitch until it ended on a clear note that I swear sounded like angels singing.  It was so beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes." 

I think he's a one-note character and I'm not seeing anything special about that monotonous gruff tone in which he delivers all of his lines.  To me it seems like he's trying to channel Clint Eastwood.  I get that people like him as an actor and therefore like everything he does as Soldier Boy, but speaking as someone who has never seen him before, it seems to me that his performance would be pretty interchangeable with what any other no-name actor would do with this role.  The part doesn't have a lot of depth to it.  Just speak in a monotone and act surly.

Edited by blackwing
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

Agree completely... I get that some think that Jensen Ackles walks on water and that if he farted, some would praise it as the greatest fart that ever sounded on TV, and embark upon an extensive analysis and discussion of the pitch and tone and duration.  "OMG that fart was a thing of beauty.  It started out low and drawn out and slowly increased in pitch until it ended on a clear note that I swear sounded like angels singing.  It was so beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes." 

I think he's a one-note character and I'm not seeing anything special about that monotonous gruff tone in which he delivers all of his lines.  To me it seems like he's trying to channel Clint Eastwood.  I get that people like him as an actor and therefore like everything he does as Soldier Boy, but speaking as someone who has never seen him before, it seems to me that his performance would be pretty interchangeable with what any other no-name actor would do with this role.  The part doesn't have a lot of depth to it.  Just speak in a monotone and act surly.

I think I said this on another episode thread, but acting is a very subjective matter and even if many like/love any actor or actress,  there will always be those who don't, for whatever their reasons.

For my part, I love Jensen and feel that he's elevated the show immensely and the other actors seem to appreciate his skillset too, from all I've read. And Kripke loves him for his range-in fact, that was specifically why Kripke wanted him for this role.

So if you've never seen him before and aren't impressed or if you watched him for 15 years and aren't impressed, just know that there are some who likely feel the same way about some of your favorites too.

I've seen many out there who feel that Antony Starr is the be all and end all as as an actor, while I feel that there are at least four other actors on this show who are better/stronger than him and I further feel that there is another actor on this show who many love to pieces, but who has usually done very little for me from the very beginning.

I will miss Jesse Usher's acting if A-Train is indeed dead and I think Chace Crawford has the most thankless role on this show, but he's doing a good job with it anyway, AFAIC.

And while I don't think that any actor can walk on water, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that Jensen Ackles indeed could...J/K, of course. 🙃

Edited by Myrelle
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 8

I think it's fine if anyone wants to say that they don't like Jensen's portrayal of SB (all 6 or so scenes of him we've seen so far....) But those of us who *have* seen him in other things know what he's capable of and so may express their appreciation...enthusiastically at times.  IA that there isn't much to SB at the moment, and I'm hoping that will change in the next two eps.  But all I can say is that, if you haven't seen Jensen in any other role, don't demean his acting abilities in general.  Dislike this character and his portrayal, fine.  Don't say an actor has no range until you've actually seen what he can do in a different setting or character.  Personally, I think Jensen's portrayal of Dean Winchester brought an enormous range of emotions and hidden depths to what could have been a very annoying/obnoxious character; but you have to pay attention to the little details like expressions and body movements to see some of it, instead of just listening to the words and voice.  And, of course, YMMV.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7

I thought Ackles did a better job in this episode, and I'm not seeing his performance now as interchangeable with what he did for Supernatural like I did a few episodes ago. That said it's good, not astounding. Antony and Laz are the actors who really impressed me this go-round, and the latter seems to be elevating Erin's work in a way that working opposite Jack or Antony doesn't.

• Useful 1
17 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

I've seen many out there who feel that Antony Starr is the be all and end all as as an actor, while I feel that there are at least four other actors on this show who are better/stronger than him and I further feel that there is another actor on this show who many love to pieces, but who has usually done very little for me from the very beginning.

I think that Antony Starr is a good actor but I'm personally more impressed by Karl Urban. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I'm kind of surprised that I'm not, to be honest. I know Urban is a good actor and he's blown me away in other roles. But something about his Butcher just doesn't connect with me. Maybe it's how his Mockney accent gets away from him at times, or the over-reliance on knowing smirks and crazy eyes, or maybe it's just the writing for the character and there's no way Urban could be expected to compensate.

19 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'm kind of surprised that I'm not, to be honest. I know Urban is a good actor and he's blown me away in other roles. But something about his Butcher just doesn't connect with me. Maybe it's how his Mockney accent gets away from him at times, or the over-reliance on knowing smirks and crazy eyes, or maybe it's just the writing for the character and there's no way Urban could be expected to compensate.

True, the writing is a bit over the top for Butcher at times. But I like the way he teeters between a sympathetic figure and an unrepentant asshole at the same time. I'm always interested when Butcher is on screen. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I'm not underwhelmed by any of the actors. Like, sometimes you see actors in shows struggling to convey some emotion effectively - like, you know what they're trying to do, but it's just not authentic or it doesn't inspire you to feel a certain way or whatever. 

I don't feel that way about any of the actors on this show. I think they seem to have searched carefully for the right people, and it shows in the abilities and chemistry of the cast. I enjoy watching every one of the Boys, I enjoy watching every one of the major supes, Edgar and Mallory are great... 

I don't know, man. I'm occasionally picky about this kind of thing, and I haven't yet  been disappointed by this show in that regard. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Myrelle said:

I think I said this on another episode thread, but acting is a very subjective matter and even if many like/love any actor or actress,  there will always be those who don't, for whatever their reasons.

For my part, I love Jensen and feel that he's elevated the show immensely and the other actors seem to appreciate his skillset too, from all I've read. And Kripke loves him for his range-in fact, that was specifically why Kripke wanted him for this role.

So if you've never seen him before and aren't impressed or if you watched him for 15 years and aren't impressed, just know that there are some who likely feel the same way about some of your favorites too.

I will miss Jesse Usher's acting if A-Train is indeed dead and I think Chace Crawford has the most thankless role on this show, but he's doing a good job with it anyway, AFAIC.

And while I don't think that any actor can walk on water, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that Jensen Ackles indeed could...J/K, of course. 🙃

There is a lot of great acting on the show to be honest. 

If you like what Starr does with this role check out Banshee.

Urban is usually great although I dislike him as Bones.

I love the Deep. I think the actor is amazing in the role.

MM. Frenchie, kimoko.... all outstanding.

To say Jensen is one bore because of his voice is missing the facial acting and body acting that any Supernatural fan knows well... some people are not nuanced. His acting is.

And he was a get for the show. The initial announcement blew up Twitter. They know it which is why they are promoting him like crazy.

Haters going to hate. The dude is hot any way you define it and this season is awesome.

Don't let anyone negative stop you from from enjoying yourself.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, ahrtee said:

I think it's fine if anyone wants to say that they don't like Jensen's portrayal of SB (all 6 or so scenes of him we've seen so far....) But those of us who *have* seen him in other things know what he's capable of and so may express their appreciation...enthusiastically at times.  IA that there isn't much to SB at the moment, and I'm hoping that will change in the next two eps.  But all I can say is that, if you haven't seen Jensen in any other role, don't demean his acting abilities in general.  Dislike this character and his portrayal, fine.  Don't say an actor has no range until you've actually seen what he can do in a different setting or character.  Personally, I think Jensen's portrayal of Dean Winchester brought an enormous range of emotions and hidden depths to what could have been a very annoying/obnoxious character; but you have to pay attention to the little details like expressions and body movements to see some of it, instead of just listening to the words and voice.  And, of course, YMMV.

Exactly. Acting is more than a voice.

Taking next part to spoiler/ spec thread...

Edited by Castiels Cat
6 hours ago, ahrtee said:

I think he was pretty appalled by the way his whole team turned out--CC and the twins certainly weren't anything to be proud of.  

He was never proud of them. In the hotel he called them f'g amateurs.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Aithne said:

I'm not underwhelmed by any of the actors. Like, sometimes you see actors in shows struggling to convey some emotion effectively - like, you know what they're trying to do, but it's just not authentic or it doesn't inspire you to feel a certain way or whatever. 

I don't feel that way about any of the actors on this show. I think they seem to have searched carefully for the right people, and it shows in the abilities and chemistry of the cast. I enjoy watching every one of the Boys, I enjoy watching every one of the major supes, Edgar and Mallory are great... 

I don't know, man. I'm occasionally picky about this kind of thing, and I haven't yet  been disappointed by this show in that regard. 

TV Line agrees with you.

They gave their Performer of the Week to the entire cast of The Boys for Herogasm.

Something they've only done twice before in all the years that they've been doing that.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Castiels Cat said:

Urban is usually great although I dislike him as Bones.

Blasphemy! 😁😃

I remember when the 2009 Star Trek cast was announced.  I was like Eomer as Bones?! What idiot made that choice,  horrible casting! Then the movie came out and, I was like ooooh yeah he is perfect as Bones.  DeForest Kelly was an old Cowboy/Western movie actor so OG Bones was pretty much a Folksy Wild West Doctor in space. 😁 and I think Urban captured that in his performance.

Personally I don't think there's a bad actor in the bunch. I think Antony truly shines because Homelander is a very well written/complex character. 

Karen Fukukara is amazing in her role, she conveys so many emotions without uttering a single word.

Karl Urban is entertaining even though I think Butcher doesn't really get the emotional Gambit that Homelander does.

Ackles is great as Soldier Boy but, he's not really given a range to play. SB is solid, has some PTSD but isn't wildly crazy like Homelander.  I also don't expect him to be, Homelander is the main antagonist and we've traveled this show with him for 3 seasons.  If we get SB in S4 🤞 I expect they'll play around with the character more but, right now he's there more for plot than character. We had the same with Stormfront last season. 

I would love to see SB go all unhinged like Homelander because I think Ackles can easily handle that but, that's not the character.  The few times we've seen SB Crack (Mallory Flashback and CC confrontation) I thought Ackles really brought the menace especially the facial tick in the Mallory flashback.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

You know your going to be in for a good time when even this show feels the need to add a "this is going to get really weird" content warning. That was an amazing hour, every plot was so damn intense, it felt like so much happened in an hour but that hour went by so fast

Watching Homelander actually get his ass kicked was amazingly satisfying, if Soldier Boy didn't need a minute to recharge, they would have gotten him right there. It was amazing watching him realize that he really can truly lose, but this is probably going to push him even further to the brink of sanity, his fragile ego just cant take this kind of humiliation. 

Little Nina better get hers soon, nobody hurts Frenchie and Kimiko and gets away with it. 

Is this really the end for A Train? Did he get a small amount of redemption and then his heart couldn't take that much earnestness from him? Ashley might be horrible, but it was pretty satisfying watching her tear into A Train about how much he has hurt people but is now all upset when something happens that affects him. 

Its sad that it looks like this is the end for Hughie and Annie, but I'm glad that she stood up for what was right. 

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Blasphemy! 😁😃

I remember when the 2009 Star Trek cast was announced.  I was like Eomer as Bones?! What idiot made that choice,  horrible casting! Then the movie came out and, I was like ooooh yeah he is perfect as Bones.  DeForest Kelly was an old Cowboy/Western movie actor so OG Bones was pretty much a Folksy Wild West Doctor in space. 😁 and I think Urban captured that in his performance.

Personally I don't think there's a bad actor in the bunch. I think Antony truly shines because Homelander is a very well written/complex character. 

Karen Fukukara is amazing in her role, she conveys so many emotions without uttering a single word.

Karl Urban is entertaining even though I think Butcher doesn't really get the emotional Gambit that Homelander does.

Ackles is great as Soldier Boy but, he's not really given a range to play. SB is solid, has some PTSD but isn't wildly crazy like Homelander.  I also don't expect him to be, Homelander is the main antagonist and we've traveled this show with him for 3 seasons.  If we get SB in S4 🤞 I expect they'll play around with the character more but, right now he's there more for plot than character. We had the same with Stormfront last season. 

I would love to see SB go all unhinged like Homelander because I think Ackles can easily handle that but, that's not the character.  The few times we've seen SB Crack (Mallory Flashback and CC confrontation) I thought Ackles really brought the menace especially the facial tick in the Mallory flashback.

JA is channeling an old school Hollywood guy as if he's 90 and still a horn dog coke head. Basically the Legend's hotter wingman. It's hilarious. And yet he is uber competent which many of the 7 are not. Nina is angry not just because of the Boys activities. SB took out 3 KGB and got to the States no problem.

Yes. It's an amazing cast, amazing writing.

I hope JDM rumors are true.

I like that Chris Pine made kirk his own. I really do not dig Urbane's Bones 

It's a good cast too... the new ST fleet.

Edited by Castiels Cat
  • Like 1
(edited)

As I said in my original post, I actually do like Jensen Ackles, and I loved Dean Winchester. I'm just not seeing that he's bringing anything in particular to this role that any other competent actor couldn't have. I certainly haven't seen any "range" in what he's done so far here.

The problem is when you bring a "name" with a big fanbase into a show's third season like this, it feels like stunt casting. With few exceptions, I had never seen most of this cast in anything else before. Throwing such a well-known actor into the mix takes me out of a willing suspension of disbelief. It might wear off after awhile but now every time I see him it's like "Oh, it's Jensen Ackles." 

And he was a get for the show. The initial announcement blew up Twitter. They know it which is why they are promoting him like crazy.

Exactly my point. The character should be important enough to stand on his own without a big "get" for the role. 

This feels like something that used to happen on soap operas all the time when a show would get a big "name" from some other soap and suddenly an influx of that actor's fanbase started flooding the discussion forums. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

This feels like something that used to happen on soap operas all the time when a show would get a big "name" from some other soap and suddenly an influx of that actor's fanbase started flooding the discussion forums

What's the alternative here? If we started watching because of Jensen (I didn't, been watching from the jump) we shouldn't 'influx' the discussion? Or we just shouldn't show our appreciation for him  as much as any other member of the cast? I don't appreciate the implication that I only enjoy the character (or any character) because of the actor. There are more questions than answers about Soldier Boy at the moment, but I believe at least part of that is because Jensen gives some layers to the character that might not have been there on the page, thus the discussion. The vast majority of actual entertainment reviews I've read seem to agree.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
11 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

The problem is when you bring a "name" with a big fanbase into a show's third season like this, it feels like stunt casting. With few exceptions, I had never seen most of this cast in anything else before. Throwing such a well-known actor into the mix takes me out of a willing suspension of disbelief. It might wear off after awhile but now every time I see him it's like "Oh, it's Jensen Ackles." 

Eh, only if they are/were Supernatural fans. CW and Supernatural are/were very much niche. Going by comments on social media and Youtube, there are a LOT of people enjoying Soldier Boy who had no idea who Jensen was.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

Jensen brings a leading man charisma and screen presence that not all "decent" actors possess. Soldier Boy is meant to be another top dog to rival Butcher and Homelander, and Jensen absolutely embodies that necessary gravitas. Jack Quaid (Hughie), Tomer Capone (Frenchie), and Chace Crawford (the Deep) are all very good in their roles, but could they convincingly pull off that kind of character? In my opinion, no.

And I don't get how anyone who saw the motel scene with Hughie could call Jensen one-note as Soldier Boy. He flits from old-man grumbling to fond reminiscence to sputtering anger to hollow bitterness to regret/guilt to seemingly sincere claims of moral fortitude, all within a few minutes. We saw so many facets of this character in such a short amount of time, and it felt completely authentic and well-rounded. There's a good reason that people all over social media are losing their shit over Jensen as Soldier Boy.

Edited by BabySpinach
  • Applause 6
  • Love 8
13 minutes ago, BabySpinach said:

Jensen brings a leading man charisma and screen presence that not all "decent" actors possess. Soldier Boy is meant to be another top dog to rival Butcher and Homelander, and Jensen absolutely embodies that necessary gravitas. Jack Quaid (Hughie), Tomer Capone (Frenchie), and Chace Crawford (the Deep) are all very good in their roles, but could they convincingly pull off that kind of character? In my opinion, no.

And I don't get how anyone who saw the motel scene with Hughie could call Jensen one-note as Soldier Boy. He flits from old-man grumbling to fond reminiscence to sputtering anger to hollow bitterness to regret/guilt to seemingly sincere claims of moral fortitude, all within a few minutes. We saw so many facets of this character in such a short amount of time, and it felt completely authentic and well-rounded. There's a good reason that people all over social media are losing their shit over Jensen as Soldier Boy.

Not to mention the scene with CC...

And in the extended episode 7 teaser he looks like he is about to blow. Homelander talks and talks about how he is going to go nuts. 

Jensen's SB is showing us a physical explosive meltdown.

Homelander has his calculated tortures and petty violence 

SB appears to just lose control. I hope they can aim him at Homelander.

On 6/27/2022 at 10:37 AM, Myrelle said:

I used to wait for the weekend to watch the show, no matter when it dropped. Now I find myself counting down the minutes and waiting with remote in hand for it to drop. 

I binged the first 2 seasons.  This wait is KILLING ME!!!!!!!11

I thought this episode would be a lot wilder than it was, based on all the hype.  It was a good one, but not all that it was projected to be.

Ackles (Never got into Supernatural, I remember him from Dark Angel) is doing well enough with what he has to work with.  I don't think he's great, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because we haven't seen a ton of Soldier Boy yet.

(edited)
6 hours ago, BabySpinach said:

Yeah, this post says it all for me. 

I thought the hotel scenes were the best ones of the entire episode because of all the subtle character beats; and especially those between Soldier Boy and Hughie. I live for that kind of content. 

But I know many who found the fight scene to be the highlight of the episode.

And it was Amazing. No lie there.

But yes, we still haven't even really seen that much of Soldier Boy. We still don't know very much about him either. What's his backstory? When was he first dosed with compound V? Why did his team hate him so much that they would betray him to the kind of torture we've seen inflicted on him? Was he even supposed to survive it? Was that strange explosive power he possesses given to him intentionally or is it a by-product of the torture, maybe like the resistance to the halothane? 

And he sure does possess an underlying, burning sense of violence in his nature that has nothing whatsoever to do with that radioactive power of his. Where the heck did that come from?

Because again I say it's not like Homelander's underlying violence which comes from a cold place, AFAIC, and we know why with him.

So two to go. 

Just really hopeful that we'll get more background info on SB and more of him in general before this short season ends too soon.  

Edited by Myrelle
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 6/28/2022 at 1:02 AM, Myrelle said:

Pretty sure the most thankless role on this show is Queen Maeve. Chace Crawford at least gets screen time. And he will continue until the end of the show because they just love to make fun of this doofus. Sure it's a thankless role (and I consider the Deep a giant waste of screen time) but at least he gets things to do, dumb as they may be.

Maeve on the other hand would have been such a fascinating character to explore but the showrunners don't want to. Never did. They know what they wanted from the Deep as a character but with Maeve they had/have no clue what to do. Which makes it the most thankless role IMO.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Smad said:

Pretty sure the most thankless role on this show is Queen Maeve. Chace Crawford at least gets screen time. And he will continue until the end of the show because they just love to make fun of this doofus. Sure it's a thankless role (and I consider the Deep a giant waste of screen time) but at least he gets things to do, dumb as they may be.

Maeve on the other hand would have been such a fascinating character to explore but the showrunners don't want to. Never did. They know what they wanted from the Deep as a character but with Maeve they had/have no clue what to do. Which makes it the most thankless role IMO.

She's gone through the biggest personal growth.

Agreed not enough screen time.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I've just caught up on this season, it's absolutely superb. Every single scene has me gripped.

Very impressed with the acting overall, particularly from Anthony Starr and the woman that plays Kimiko (Karen Fukahira?). I've seen Jensen Ackles on Supernatural; he's a decent actor, I just don't think he's been given a lot to work with as Soldier Boy.

Very curious about Black Noir.

This is going to sound really random, but I'm really curious regarding what happened to that bald woman that escaped from that Vought facility last season. She had very similar powers to Neumann...

(edited)
1 hour ago, Quark said:

This is going to sound really random, but I'm really curious regarding what happened to that bald woman that escaped from that Vought facility last season. She had very similar powers to Neumann..

How funny,  I was thinking about her after this episode too. Probably because Love Sausage showed up at the orgy. When I saw him I said...whatever happened to that super powerful scary chick from last season? 😀

Edited by Morrigan2575
1 hour ago, Quark said:

This is going to sound really random, but I'm really curious regarding what happened to that bald woman that escaped from that Vought facility last season. She had very similar powers to Neumann...

I've wondered about this also! I think that she's even stronger than Neumann. She only has to clench her hands to completely destroy everything around her while Neumann has to have an eye on her target. I do hope that we see her again.

13 hours ago, DeeDee79 said:

I've wondered about this also! I think that she's even stronger than Neumann. She only has to clench her hands to completely destroy everything around her while Neumann has to have an eye on her target. I do hope that we see her again.

I think the difference between Cindy and VN is that VN seems to make things explode from the inside. Cindy's powers work from the outside. They probably also differ in that VN expands things until they pop whereas Cindy compresses things. We also don't know if VN's powers work on non-living things the way Cindy's do.

• Useful 1