Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Auf Wiedersehen

• Start Topic

Alison might even be worse than Sparrow Ben. 

Klaus is still best. 

why is Luther pulling a Disney Princess and marrying someone he met yesterday?

way to go Fai you idiot. 

so Sloan and Ben are the only sparrows left? Are we replacing Ben with sparrow Ben? And trading Allison and Sloan? I don’t think both are going to make it. 

is Lila really pregnant? And is it Diego’s? 
time travel is confusing. 

• Like 4
  • Love 7
(edited)

In every episode I can recall this season, the drivers have been on the right side of the car. It has been bugging me, but I chalked it up to possibly some quirk of this world the Umbrella Academy is set in. I believe this show is shot in Ontario, where I think (?) the driver side is on the left, not the right.

Yet, in this episode, Reginald is driving on the correct side of the car (left), and the correct (right side) of the road for the USA. So now I'm thinking that, for whatever reason, the editing in the prior episodes had reversed the left-right camera image, and I really can't imagine why they did that.

Am I the only one that is bugged by this?

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Like 2
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

I'm not bugged by it per se but I've definitely noticed it and wondered if it means anything or if it's just a quirky little thing to contribute to the weirdness of the atmosphere of this show.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
15 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

In every episode I can recall this season, the drivers have been on the right side of the car. It has been bugging me, but I chalked it up to possibly some quirk of this world the Umbrella Academy is set in. I believe this show is shot in Ontario, where I think (?) the driver side is on the left, not the right.

Yet, in this episode, Reginald is driving on the correct side of the car (left), and the correct (right side) of the road for the USA. So now I'm thinking that, for whatever reason, the editing in the prior episodes had reversed the left-right camera image, and I really can't imagine why they did that.

I just assumed Hargreeves had imported his personal car from England.  I noticed the right- hand drive in an earlier episode but they were driving on the right side of the road.  In this episode I assumed they were using a US version of the same car.   I figure Hargreeves can afford more than one car.

Edited by cdnalor
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I really want to know Christopher's story. Where did this cube come from? 

I noticed about the car(s) but I just figured it was another thing different about this world like not having cellphones and people watching antique TV'S etc. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I'm more curious why the city already appeared to be half in ruins and burning while Luther was proposing to Sloane and everyone else was celebrating their "victory"? None of the previous kugleblitze events showed any damage being done other than the obliterated animals and people. Or, did I miss something?

• Like 1
  • Love 9
On 6/24/2022 at 3:18 AM, Cthulhudrew said:

I haven't really noticed, but I'm usually having to get up every five minutes, for whatever reason, and I rarely notice the wigs that people complain about, either.

I was wishing that we could stop killing Klaus, but his superpower is some sort of immortality? on top of seeing ghosts.

Lila was vulnerable and honest for once. Her borrowing the kid makes sense, and I hope he makes it back to his real mum somehow. 

I should have known the blitz thing wasn't so easily fixed, but that little fart coming out of the cube, was funny and somehow cute. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Omg the montage of Klaus dying was hysterical.  I hope he can control ghosts too.  Definitely helps to lighten the terribleness of Alison.

ok we have to know the Jennifer story

• Like 3
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, chaifan said:

I know I have to just handwaive this away, but the thing(s) that bothered me most about Klaus' training scenes is that a) no one - NO ONE - stopped after they hit some guy in the middle of a country road; and b) there was no accident debris in the road.   

On the other hand, this has to go down in TV history as the most original time-lapse self-improvement montage ever made. 

I know! That’s what I was thinking.  How many hit-and-runs was that?

• Like 1
  • Love 7
On 6/26/2022 at 3:27 AM, Anela said:

I was wishing that we could stop killing Klaus, but his superpower is some sort of immortality? on top of seeing ghosts.

I think his power was always immortality; his ability to see (and command) ghosts seems like a side-effect of his ability to bridge the real world and the underworld.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
On 6/26/2022 at 8:05 PM, chaifan said:

I know I have to just handwaive this away, but the thing(s) that bothered me most about Klaus' training scenes is that a) no one - NO ONE - stopped after they hit some guy in the middle of a country road; and b) there was no accident debris in the road.   

Yes, that would cause a lot of trauma to the drivers; at least the one whose windshield he landed on.

Klaus has been educating Reginald on his childhood, but I wish he had asked Reginald about the origins of the Sparrows, and by analogy, the Umbrellas.  Has he never suspected that Reginald had something to do with it? 

• Love 4

ok we have to know the Jennifer story

So we don't know it then, right? I thought maybe I had forgotten something from Season 1. Sparrow Ben had drawings of Jennifer all over his room. 

Yeah I noticed too but I just chalked it up to the absurdity of the situation. The whole thing was pretty funny.

Wow, talk about a cliff-hanger ending.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 6/26/2022 at 6:27 AM, Anela said:

I should have known the blitz thing wasn't so easily fixed, but that little fart coming out of the cube, was funny and somehow cute. 

I wonder if Christopher was suffering from the doppelgänger effect, like Five was in the Commission bunker.  Was Christopher another version of the Kugelblitz?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I get Allison is going through shit right now, but they're really making her a dislikable person right now. I want to empathize with her situation, but her attitude and her callous use of her powers is making her more in the wrong than Viktor. Viktor may have been wrong in withholding the truth (even if it was only for, like, a day), but Allison is abusing her power. 

I'm so glad we're exploring Klaus' powers finally, but I did question the reanimation sequence. I get it was supposed to be funny, but I ended up having more questions about why nobody was phased by some guy continuing to jump in front of cars/trucks/busses. Not to mention that those car crashes shouldn't guarantee his death; some of those crashes would just end up in some serious damage, but not death. 

I knew their plan would fail, since it IS only episode 7. But it was handled well with the end scene.

So, Lila is pregnant and she was testing Diego. Oh, how frustrating this plot continues to get. Again, especially since it's only been a week, at most, and Lila only witnessed one action from Diego that MIGHT make him seem ok as a dad, even though up until that point, he had been a crappy dad to Stanley. Jeez, I don't mind Lila/Diego, but I REALLY couldn't care less about their baby. It was better when we thought she already had a full grown kid and tossed him to Diego (before the kid said a word, I mean).

Luther/Sloane is now getting too ridiculous for me. Now he's proposing to her? They've only known each other for six-seven days! Either Sloane is dying during their wedding or right after. I don't really see her surviving now that they've slapped a proposal on their relationship. Which is a shame, since I really like Sloane. And I get they have to change the timeline, regardless, so their relationship isn't likely to survive, even when they do fix the timeline/universe, since there's a chance there will be a new timeline Sloane.

• Like 2
  • Love 5

Obviously the plan couldn't work yet, it was too easy and we're only on episode seven, but it was fun seeing the gang get a win and bonding with the Sparrows a bit, even though they inevitably plan on turning on them. 

I would normally say that Sloan and Luther getting married after knowing each other for about a week is a terrible idea, but considering Sloan presumably has spent most of her life in the mansion with only her crazy siblings for company and Luther spent half his life on the moon and his only romance has been with his sister, I can see why they think this is a good idea. Not a good sign for Sloan though, the marriage sounds like its going to end in tragedy for her, which is too bad, I like her.

Even with the questionable logic of having multiple cars smashing into Klaus and no one bothering to care, that montage of Klaus dying over and over while Cats in the Cradle played was hysterical. It makes me want to watch everyone learn how to use their powers to their full potential in deranged training sequences. 

Some nice scenes between characters in this one, especially the talk between Five and Viktor. 

Is Christopher even one of the kids born to random moms like the others? Or is he a construct created by Reginald? 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Even with the questionable logic of having multiple cars smashing into Klaus and no one bothering to care, that montage of Klaus dying over and over while Cats in the Cradle played was hysterical. It makes me want to watch everyone learn how to use their powers to their full potential in deranged training sequences. 

with an appropriate song choice of course!

Still have a lot of questions about Christopher.

• Love 2
On 6/24/2022 at 8:00 PM, festivus said:

I really want to know Christopher's story. Where did this cube come from? 

9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Is Christopher even one of the kids born to random moms like the others? Or is he a construct created by Reginald? 

He broke into a bunch of pieces! The construct idea sounds like a good idea, maybe that's what he/it is.

On 6/26/2022 at 3:24 AM, Daltrey said:

I'm more curious why the city already appeared to be half in ruins and burning while Luther was proposing to Sloane and everyone else was celebrating their "victory"? 

Yeah, what was that? Was it burning all this time & we never noticed?

• Love 2

I hate Allison. She's really been horrible this whole season. What happened to Claire isn't Viktor's fault. He had no idea saving Harlan would give him powers. He saved a kid's life. 

Klaus's repeated death were hilarious. He was really bouncing all over those cars. I love that none the drivers stopped. Reginald realizing he was a horrible father was good.

That plan was too easy to work. It was funny when it split open.

I like Luther and Sloane together. It's weird to get engaged at this point but ok. 

I don't like Lila being pregnant. Her testing Diego was a crappy thing to do.

• Love 5
On 6/28/2022 at 4:46 PM, Stardancer Supreme said:

I wonder if Christopher was suffering from the doppelgänger effect, like Five was in the Commission bunker.  Was Christopher another version of the Kugelblitz?

Someone in my watch group thought maybe the resonance from Fei clinking her champagne flute on Christopher disrupted his ability to hold it together.

Side Note: Just because your robot mother is broken/powered off doesn’t mean she is dead forever.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Count me as another watcher who found the Klaus montage both disturbing and hilarious.

Not sure what the point of him "mastering" the ghosts is going to be, but I'm assuming it's important... Although, I remember him manipulating the ghosts on the battlefield to catch him in the season two finale, so I'm not sure why he doesn't seem to remember that.

It still makes me sad that no one ever cares when Klaus is missing! Yes, Luther got the same treatment when he was kidnapped, but it seems to happen to Klaus all the damn time! I hope he gets his big moment in the end, and maybe a little proper appreciation, but I'm not holding my breath on the latter.

And I realize a lot was going on and he's not an integral part of the Sparrows' lives, but I thought it was very convenient that no one noticed Reggie was missing, either.

Five's speech to Viktor, at least the middle/end of it, seemed like it really should have been given to Allison instead...

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Five's speech to Viktor, at least the middle/end of it, seemed like it really should have been given to Allison instead...

Yes. And it totally supported Allison’s point that no one ever paid attention to her feelings or her pain. Even then Five was still laser focused on Viktor and missed every single Allison Is Acting Out signal.

• Love 6

New question from this episode-- where/ when was punk band Lila? We go from her at the Berlin Wall in 1989 to her in the band... Wasn't the woman who asked for the sledgehammer the same woman in her band/ Stan's mom? If so, shouldn't Stan sound German, and shouldn't he have a little more reaction to being 30 years in the future? (I know technology isn't really a thing in this universe, but still...) If not... why did Lila choose to go back to 2019, and where exactly was she before she traveled with Stan?

• Love 1
On 7/15/2022 at 5:59 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

New question from this episode-- where/ when was punk band Lila? We go from her at the Berlin Wall in 1989 to her in the band... Wasn't the woman who asked for the sledgehammer the same woman in her band/ Stan's mom? If so, shouldn't Stan sound German, and shouldn't he have a little more reaction to being 30 years in the future? (I know technology isn't really a thing in this universe, but still...) If not... why did Lila choose to go back to 2019, and where exactly was she before she traveled with Stan?

I think we can assume that all those scenes were during the fall of the Berlin Wall.   The woman who asked for the sledgehammer was indeed the Stan's mom and was the lead singer in the band.  No idea why Stan didn't sound German or have a German accent.  UA  isn't very big on expanding on those details.  The reason she chose that date to return to was to retrieve the time-traveling suitcase which can be gotten without a lot of questions.    We have to assume that Lila's Mom/The Handler had a discussed this fallback plan if they were ever stuck without a suitcase.

• Love 2
On 6/24/2022 at 4:18 AM, Cthulhudrew said:

I was wondering that too, but Five's bangs were still hanging to the same side as always.  So, not a reversed camera.  Either the cars are imports from the UK, or it's about the hotel being a mirror image of Oblivion somehow. 

(In How to Get Ahead in Advertising there is a camera reversal which I think is accidental, and everything is mirrored.  Also a partial scene in Mask where the same thing happens. )

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/26/2022 at 4:35 PM, Infie said:

I was wondering that too, but Five's bangs were still hanging to the same side as always.  So, not a reversed camera.  Either the cars are imports from the UK, or it's about the hotel being a mirror image of Oblivion somehow. 

(In How to Get Ahead in Advertising there is a camera reversal which I think is accidental, and everything is mirrored.  Also a partial scene in Mask where the same thing happens. )

I really thought the steering wheels being on the wrong side was going to be a plot point. A sign that they messed up again somehow or something.

On 7/24/2022 at 6:31 PM, grawlix said:

The woman who asked for the sledgehammer was indeed the Stan's mom and was the lead singer in the band.  No idea why Stan didn't sound German or have a German accent.

Stan mentioned after his mom took off with a bass player that that’s how they ended up in Germany in the first place—his mom had followed a bass player there (presumably from the US). 

The only car(s) we’ve seen the inside of until this episode are from Hotel Obsidian, right hand drive. Everyone else is driving per normal for the US, and Reginald’s Rolls is US style. So I assume it’s just another hotel eccentricity.

I was skeptical of Reginald & Klaus, but they pulled it off. Reginald using his beyond-tough-love with genuine encouragement and faith is … good?

Lila talking to Allison is the first I’ve liked her.

Allison’s sibling relationship with Viktor has been a highlight of the past two seasons + first episode of s3. This heel turn is THE WORST. 

Poor Harlan. He finally got rid of his freaky powers for the first time since he was a kid, and got killed for no reason.

Poor Viktor has just been screwed, too. S1, he was too untrained and tortured from being held in the basement to control his powers. S2, he was getting a hold on them, but torture again, plus accidentally transferred some powers to Harlan without realizing it. S3, that accident with Harlan screwed everything up. I wouldn’t say Viktor is a villain, but he is dangerously overpowered.

So, apparently, is Christopher. It’s too bad there’s no subtitles for him. When they discussed the plan and talked about trapping the “bees nest” in a box, he said something that made me think he was relating to the situation. And, lo, the kugelblitz in a box looks just like Christopher, and Christopher broken out looks just like the kugelblitz. I wonder if Christopher was overpowered, similar to Viktor, and contained early on. 

• Love 2