Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E17: Quarterfinals: Week 4 Results

• Start Topic

When they eliminated Nina Burri and we were left with One Voice and Kelli Glover, a part of me died inside. I marginally preferred Kelli Glover to the kiddies because they're, well, kiddies, but still. Nina got j*****.

Oh Taylor Williamson, how I missed you. He just makes me smile. "I was a loser on a reality show, so I guess that makes me a Kardashian." I loled.

What happened to the wild cards? Did they decide to push that back or did they just run out of time? Or both?

Mel B got two whole buckets of ice water dumped on her. Respect, girl.

• Love 3

The public sucks. They voted out the contortionist and gave more votes to Kelli Glover and the children's choir? Ugh. So Kelli is in and the two opera ladies are not? More ugh. At least the kids choir is gone.

Oh please oh please oh please let there be wild card picks so Nina the contortionist, the jump ropers and the Bollywood dancers can come back.

Edited by Shermie
  • Love 2

My teeth dropped when they announced that Nina Burri, out of those three acts, was eliminated. I guess America is a sucker for kid acts and hasn't been sufficiently bored by generic singers. If it had to be that way, I guess I'm glad Kelli was the judges' pick, because the choir has a bigger gimmick than she does.("Cute" factor.) I wouldn't trust the voters not to vote for them over another deserving act in the semis. Whereas Kelli is just going to be one solo singer against many.

Also amazed that the balancer didn't go through. Maybe other people were nervous wrecks watching him like I was. I wanted his skill to be rewarded, but I'm not so sure I would be entertained to watch him again and again. Too stressful.

• Love 4

OH EM GEE... when it was Kelli against the kids, I pretty much knew she would go through. I, too, think she's just pretty generic and I don't view her story as one of someone who would never give up, but of someone who would never give up trying to win a reality competition.

She could have been honing her craft, as someone else mentioned in another thread, earning some chops on Broadway or whatever. Oh well... at least if she wins, we know she'll be another singer/winner we'll never hear from again.

P. S. When they showed the acts for next week's semi-final, I was kinda shocked how many singers there are. I wish to god they would keep singers off this show. And I don't understand why they don't just have an AGT Kid's show too. That would handily get rid of that particular annoyance as well. (Except for Quintavious; he can stay.)

• Love 3

I voted for the balancer and Smoothini, so I wasn't happy to see them against each other. Between the two of them, I'm glad Smoothini went through.

My teeth dropped when they announced that Nina Burri, out of those three acts, was eliminated. I guess America is a sucker for kid acts and hasn't been sufficiently bored by generic singers. If it had to be that way, I guess I'm glad Kelli was the judges' pick, because the choir has a bigger gimmick than she does.("Cute" factor.) I wouldn't trust the voters not to vote for them over another deserving act in the semis. Whereas Kelli is just going to be one solo singer against many.

I figured Nina was (sadly) out then, but not in the way it happened. Between the three of them, I thought Kelli would be out. Then from there, I thought the judges would vote for the kids over Nina. They seem to favor kid acts. Edited by Meushell

Ok, so semi finals next week..,two shows, 12 acts per show, 24 acts total. We've had four quarter finals, with five acts each, so that leaves four extra spots, for the four judges wild cards. We'll find out next week, I suppose, who are at least two of them.

I don't view her story as one of someone who would never give up, but of someone who would never give up trying to win a reality competition.

Also there's a difference between a second chance and asking for a judge's save (that save is her third, and probably final, chance to realize "As seen on TV" will get her exactly as far as it's gotten her already.

I was surprised the judges didn't pick the kids, though school is starting, so at least the kids have an interesting story to tell.  ("How was your summer?")

• Love 2

Two things killing this show are the overabundance of kid acts and the ridiculously over-the-top praise by the judges for virtually every act. The worst "criticism" you'll ever hear is "I'm not sure that was your best performance." (which gets boos and groans from the audience). Based on what they say, the judges must not get out much. To cite one of countless examples, a dance group throws a girl up in the air, like every high school cheerleading squad, and the judges act like it's the most awesome, original, death-defying thing ever.

The other thing I could do without is the constant brainwashing that this is the best season of AGT, the greatest night, the toughest dance category ever etc. (Regarding dance, I haven't seen a single act that blew me away. Many of these dance troupes do seem to have gotten their choreography from cheerleading squads, substituting back flips and gymnastics for actual dancing. And the hip hop dancers do the same moves I can see any Sunday in the park by people dancing for tips.)

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 8
Wild card picks should be:

Dom the bom's triple threat

Mike super

Loop Rawlins

JD Anderson

Just to get some variety, I'm sick of singer and dance groups

The only one in that list I agree with is Loop Rawlins. I think a lasso act is something different from most and has lots of opportunity for variety. My other picks are Nina the contortionist, the jump rope act, and the Bollywood dancers. That's lots of variety and those acts were robbed. Maybe the opera duet, except that would be even more singers. 

• Love 3

Two things killing this show are the overabundance of kid acts and the ridiculously over-the-top praise by the judges for virtually every act. The worst "criticism" you'll ever hear is "I'm not sure that was your best performance." (which gets boos and groans from the audience). Based on what they say, the judges must not get out much. To cite one of countless examples, a dance group throws a girl up in the air, like every high school cheerleading squad, and the judges act like it's the most awesome, original, death-defying thing ever.

The other thing I could do without is the constant brainwashing that this is the best season of AGT, the greatest night, the toughest dance category ever etc. (Regarding dance, I haven't seen a single act that blew me away. Many of these dance troupes do seem to have gotten their choreography from cheerleading squads, substituting back flips and gymnastics for actual dancing. And the hip hop dancers do the same moves I can see any Sunday in the park by people dancing for tips.)

I 100% agree, but I can kind of understand why the judges hype everything up so much. They have to at least present an illusion of excitement, or else no one would watch. I mean, I might enjoy the show better if they would just be brutally honest with the contestants, but it's hard to promote a show if too many of the judges' comments are negative. The producers probably tell the judges to throw a criticism in there every now and then to keep it real, but at the end of the day they want people to think that all the acts are just incredible and that AGT is can't-miss television. It's annoying and fake, but I get it.

bluepiano! A and Men to the overabundance of praise heaped on every single one of these contestants.

As Mr. Monkey has pointed out time and time again: AGT and Heidi and Mel have effectively removed any significance of a standing ovation, which used to be reserved for legends and/or entertainers who have been successful for lifetimes, not for one week on a reality show competition and for having a facebook page and twitter account.

Heidi and the AGT audience give EVERY FRAKKING ACT a standing O, ffs.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 2

I think why the kids ranked so high or higher than Nina is just in the numbers.  You figure 100 kids with all their friends and family and friends of family, schools, church etc voting they would have more than a single act.  But still not enough to make it through.  I knew the judges would not pick them to go though. 

This show use to be funny and entertaining.  What happened?  Howard's first year as a judge was much better then what he does now.  He has gone soft.

• Love 2

I was gobsmacked to see Nina Burri eliminated, but then I realized she made the mistake of having too much class, skill, and beauty for this stupid show.  She indeed cast her pearls before swine.

I loved seeing the discomfort of the judges having to choose between two (terrible) acts they had slathered so much unwarranted praise upon.  We got cheated out of seeing the faces of the children's choir when they were given the boot.  I dread that Heidi will pick them to come back.

When they choose people to come back for the semi-finals, don't they usually pick acts that were caught in the fifth/sixth place decision?  Not always, but usually?

Well, we couch potato masochists are in for another punishing show next week.

Damn they didn't save Nina...  Mike Super? I'm on the other side, I don't like the guy a bit, I think he's a fraud.

The other 3 at least I got the jump rope group on my list..

Ugh, Wendy Liebman's career should stay stuck in the '90s. She seems the kind of comedian that Howard would have goofed on before he went all soft. I wonder who her agent is? There has to be some rationale for this.

• Love 6

And I don't understand why they don't just have an AGT Kid's show too. That would handily get rid of that particular annoyance as well. (Except for Quintavious; he can stay.)

There was a kid's talent competition show back in 2003. It was called America's Most Talented Kids. It ran for a couple of seasons and then got cancelled due to low ratings. Apparently America really didn't want to see an all kids competition so I can't understand how kid's acts that are mediocre at best keep advancing on this show. I keep hoping they will set an age limit.

I mean, I might enjoy the show better if they would just be brutally honest with the contestants, but it's hard to promote a show if too many of the judges' comments are negative. The producers probably tell the judges to throw a criticism in there every now and then to keep it real, but at the end of the day they want people to think that all the acts are just incredible and that AGT is can't-miss television. It's annoying and fake, but I get it.

Yeah, I understand this as well but I am actually wishing Piers Morgan would come back and judge because he was probably the most honest about the performance of a lot of the acts and wasn't afraid to give criticism. I thought Howard Stern would be even more critical of the talent than Piers was, but his radio show persona has completely disappeared. I wouldn't want him to be as dickish as he was on his radio show, but I expected him to be more honest/critical than he has been.

I was also shocked that Nina went home and wasn't picked as a wild card. I thought her performance was beautiful. Glad that "Dom the Bomb" and the triplets didn't get through - I have no idea what the judges were thinking when they put them straight through to the live rounds. Their act was a hot mess and didn't seem like a true, well-put together performance at all. It just looked like a bunch of kids playing around in their living room.

I'm not surprised that Quintavius went through. Out of all the kid singers he has the best voice and the most ability. It's too bad it looks like he and Mara Justine are going to be in different semi-final groups as I would love to see how the voters, the audience and the judges would compare the two and see how much better Quintavius is.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 3

i don't know what happened to the show I adore, but this season sucks. I have no one I am actively rooting for.  With that being said, can anyone tell me...

1). how did that illusionist do that trick with the man cut in half?

2).  what happened to the woman who did some pretty good impressions? didnt she make it through?

Thank you for any help!

There are a lot of people who got no followup during judgment week. It's bizarre. Like that aerialist lady with alopecia who got a full back story and everything... we never saw her again. Rachel Butera, the impressionist, can be seen in behind the scenes photos on instagram, etc. from judgment week, so she was there, just not shown on TV. Ditto with that 12-year-old naughty Jewish comic. What happened to the lady who sang opera in her bikini? Or the dude who sang the penis song? I get that there's not enough time to show everyone, but it's weird the way they give some of these acts airtime during the initial auditions and then we never see them again.

• Love 7

I hate how so many good acts weren't shown on judgement week like the Asian magician who almost got his head stapled by Mel b? Or the 8 year old boy who throws knives? And does anyone remember the Cuban balancer who balanced so high up he almost hit the X's on the ceiling? Would've been great acts to replace annoying singers

• Love 2

Thank you helenamonster, that is exactly who I was referring to. I enjoyed her act and was looking forward to seeing her again, but as I see from the comments that followed mine, there are a lot of people who mysteriously disappeared after the auditions. I don't know what they did to what was one of my favorite shows, but I want it back.

• Love 3

I do hope that some season in the future they tighten up the judgment week shows to clarify what goes through automatically; what is cut; and what we didn't see in auditions but is there for judgment week. Instead of spending five minutes on Howie running around the triplets' house, also take the time to say "and we changed our minds about the tweenage kid telling dirty jokes, and we put the kiddie choir straight through."

I'm very pleased with Heidi choosing the jump ropers. The others wouldn't have been my choices-- I would have liked to see Loop again, as well as the Bollywood dancers-- but there's nothing that has me banging my head against the wall.

Yeah, it is strange how some acts pop up out of nowhere and others get a big fanfare in the beginning only to disappear with no explanation in the next round. Like this week, with Extreme...had we ever seen them before the quarterfinals? They were probably in one of the montages of dance acts from the auditions and then must have been sent straight through and skipped Judgement Week. It's so jarring the way they switch acts in and out like that.

Though I think the best (or worst, as it were) is when we see acts for the first time during Judgement Week, they get a whole package and sob story, and are then eliminated without making it to the live shows. Like, what was even the point?

• Love 2

Yeah, it is strange how some acts pop up out of nowhere and others get a big fanfare in the beginning only to disappear with no explanation in the next round.

Maybe the ones that disappeared got what they were looking for, exposure and a job, so they dropped out.

• Love 2

Though I think the best (or worst, as it were) is when we see acts for the first time during Judgement Week, they get a whole package and sob story, and are then eliminated without making it to the live shows. Like, what was even the point?

I'm just guessing, but maybe the producers start with who has the best sob stories, combined with enough talent that MAYBE they'll go a few rounds.  Or they wantt to show you some of the acts where you're supposed to think that though the quarter-finalists were meh, the rejected acts were worse.  This usually backfires unless we see the rejected acts actually bomb at a next round--and sometimes viewers disagree with the judges (indvidually or collectively).  That's why I usually don't like judge's saves, wild cards, etc. on principle, even when I like the acts themselves.

ETA:  This is also why I hate sob stories in the early rounds--it takes away from seeing pre-recorded talent, so there's no set-up time advantage, and either I care about someone I can't help, or I don't care about someone and they wasted my time.  There's no way to win that, so stop showing it to me.

Edited by marketdoctor

AGT and Heidi and Mel have effectively removed any significance of a standing ovation

It's actually become a knock on the performance if you DON'T get a standing ovation. With almost every act getting a standing ovation maybe they need something else for the acts that really do something special. Like a standing ovation on top of the judges' table.

The producers probably tell the judges to throw a criticism in there every now and then to keep it real, but at the end of the day they want people to think that all the acts are just incredible and that AGT is can't-miss television. It's annoying and fake, but I get it.

I understand this, but I think it would be possible to have some kind of balance. Obviously the show is never going to give us completely honest evaluations of the performances, but what's the point of even having judges if they  don't at least occasionally point out the emperor has no clothes. A prime example would be the guys who botched their magic trick and had to finally tell Howie which word to pick. The judges weren't even critical of that.

Probably the real issue is that the producers pick certain acts that they want to go far and then the judges have to drink the Kool-aid. Do all the judges really think that Mara Justine is a great singer? But I guess when you're being paid all those millions you go with the program. It's especially hard to take from Howard Stern, who as many have pointed out, goes gaga over acts that the radio Howard would've mocked mercilessly.

On the other hand, considering that most of the acts on this show are singers and dancer, there really is no one on the panel with expertise in those subjects. You've got two comedians/hosts, a model, and in Mel B what I will kindly call an entertainer. The Spice Girls sang and danced, after a fashion, but that was hardly the source of their "fame."

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1

Smoothini?  Dude has the worst staging of any magician I've seen on AGT.   Ameriker really has blown it the past couple of weeks. 

Taylor and the Illusionists were absolutely great!  I loved the music bed the Illusionists used.  It was most evocative of Jesus Christ Superstar.  Man, I love that film's score.  I've never seen a better sawed-in-half illusion, either.  Wow.

I am genuinely angry that Howard is bringing back the staggeringly unfunny Leibman.  If I didn't know better, I'd swear that TPTB signed a contract with her guaranteeing a semi-final appearance.

A problem I'm having with the magicians is that I watch Penn and Teller: Fool Us right before the results show. And the magic on that show is so, so, so much better than anything on AGT that the AGT contestants really suffer in comparison.

I'm not thrilled that Wendy Leibman is back, either. I actually liked her "age" bit, but knowing all the shows she's had/been on makes it seem wrong for her to be competing in this arena. I guess the same is probably also true of Dan Naturman (whom I prefer, though his last routine was just so-so). I guess I have to get rid of the mindset that these are amateurs. Still, even if most of them have been performing for a while, there's venues and then there's venues. If you've been on HBO that's a little different than the local circuit where you live.

Maybe that's partly why the voters flock to the kid contestants. They seem closer to the perceived ethos of the show.

• Love 2
I guess I have to get rid of the mindset that these are amateurs. Still, even if most of them have been performing for a while, there's venues and then there's venues.

Most, if not all, of the circus performers on the show are pros. The dance groups seem to be a mix of pros and serious hobbyists. A lot of the magicians have been full-time pros, some of whom have had their own shows in Vegas. It's weird to me that someone who's had her own HBO special WANTS to do this show (what can she possibly gain from it?) but I don't think she's any more pro than people like Bad Boys of Ballet or Aerial Animation.

It's not so much that Liebman is a 'pro' and nobody else is. It's that I (and I assume, others) watch this show to be entertained and surprised by an act that I haven't seen before. In the 90s, you could see her doing her single-women-woes crap in front of a brick wall set on many a premium cable channel. (Now that she's married, it's married woman woes). It doesn't seem fair, and it's a waste of a slot that could have actually entertained people.

Plus much like there's American Idol/Voice/that thing on ABC for singers, there's Last Comic Standing for comedians.

• Love 4

It's weird to me that someone who's had her own HBO special WANTS to do this show (what can she possibly gain from it?)

For a solo performer, the million-dollar prize, even spread over 30 or 40 years, is some nice extra money.  And if her career might be boosted by "AGT semi-finalist" or "Finalist".  Comedy is a market that goes in cycles; if stand-up is in a down cycle she might want the career boost--and it might just be good for her ego to know how far she made it relative to other comedians.

I think she's hoping to win, but her plan B is to leverage how far she got to the Branson and Vegas venues.

A shot at more money and another promotional tagline are also probably driving Emily West, though she also has the move away from country that she's selling, and this might speed up that new image.