Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Spock Amok

• Start Topic

On 6/3/2022 at 3:57 AM, millennium said:

When T'Pring first appears in "Amok Time," Christine Chapel is right there on the bridge watching the big screen TV with the rest of them but she registers NO recognition whatsoever, despite knowing damn well who T'Pring is (according to this show).   And when Spock declares T'Pring his wife, Chapel appears as stunned as everyone else even though this show wants us to believe she has intimate knowledge of the relationship between Spock and T'Pring.

Things like this are among the reasons I can't reconcile the Chapel and Uhura of this series with the originals. No way this Chapel become the woman who glowed with happiness at a request for plomeek soup or that Uhura's fulfillment turned out to be opening hailing frequencies. In miniskirts.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

Well, one change I do like is that this version of Pike is much more easy-going and likable. The Pike I remember from TOS was, pretty much, an uptight jerk. Sort of an uber Kirk.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Passing Strange said:

Things like this are among the reasons I can't reconcile the Chapel and Uhura of this series with the originals.

If Sulu gets introduced, how meta will it be? Flamboyantly out? Closeted & Tormented? Max Hetero?  

• Love 1

There are some of you that I'm wondering why you watch this show. You seem to hate it so much.

I really liked this episode, and that surprised me. When I read on Facebook that it involved Spock and T'Pring doing a Freaky Friday with each other, I thought this show had lost its mind. It was doing so well up to now! But, I think they handled it well. It wasn't just "Oh look, a teenager in an adult body and vice versa. Hijinks ensue!" It was a light-hearted, funny episode that didn't take itself seriously but didn't descend into farce.

I loved Pike's reaction to Spock and T'Pring confessing this. It was "OK, weird, but moving on. Got a job to do."

I'm going to say that I didn't really love the La'an and Una Enterprise Bingo subplot as much. I guess I just wasn't quite as entertained.

I was arguing with someone on another Star Trek forum I'm a part of that I love this show--it gives me happy, nostalgic vibes, but it is either part of the Kelvin universe or it's own universe, because it's not part of the TOS universe. Oh, I offended this person--of course it's part of the TOS universe! I can go "This isn't a part of TOS, it's its own thing. But as long as I can relate to the characters--and I love Anson Mount so much as Pike, I'm OK with it not being a part of TOS, even if they are using canonical names." As long as I'm relating to the characters and I'm having fun, I'm happy just to be entertained. (I stopped being entertained by Discovery. I always hated Michael, even from the pilot. Stupid Mary Sue.)

Finally, I don't remember the name of the documentary I was watching on YouTube shortly after the world closed down two years ago--and it's been since the beginning of 2020 when I saw this documentary, but it was breaking down why the new Star Trek shows doesn't really match up 100% with the old Trek shows. And it's due to different owners of the different shows and different movies. I think the Star Trek franchise is starting to get under one umbrella--one owner--but it's still a little bit of mess. Because new Trek is owned by CBS, I believe, they have to be some sort of percentage different than the old Trek shows. And I'm sure there's a stupid formula some bureaucrat made up, like "Changing a uniform is 1% of the equation." Due to knowing a tiny bit about this mess, and the fact that episodic writing on series seems to be out of fashion any more now--and this is all across TV (even sitcoms seem to have arcs), I'm just impressed that SNW feels like Star Trek, even with all its inconsistencies.

• Love 3

I don't mind what they are doing with T'Pring since we only saw her once on TOS and learned almost nothing about her. Seeing her and Spock labour to make thier relationship work on SNW makes sence since we know that they will go thier separate ways. As it was mentioned upstream, T'Pring is trying but can't accept Spock for who he is.

Oh Spock. You WILL find someone who loves you for who you are. His name is James Kirk.😁

• Like 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, rtms77 said:

Spock! Something happens to him between now and when Kirk takes over, because either the writers have decided to just throw out all that back story or something very tragic or life altering happens to him to make him the very stoic and controlled person he becomes.

Chris Pike is becoming Spock's human father figure: the one who provides everything that Sarek can't. Pike is going to be burnt to a husk, and despite Spock's knowing this already, he will be unable to prevent it. Strange New Worlds isn't only showing how an older, First Officer Spock became willing to commit mutiny and risk the death penalty to give his former captain a better life; it's also showing why this credibly half-human Spock will eventually identify as a Vulcan, only: to exile his grief.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Pallas said:

Pike is going to be burnt to a husk, and despite Spock's knowing this already, he will be unable to prevent it. 

Stick Pike in the transporter buffer for 20 years....

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, historylover820 said:

I was arguing with someone on another Star Trek forum I'm a part of that I love this show--it gives me happy, nostalgic vibes, but it is either part of the Kelvin universe or it's own universe, because it's not part of the TOS universe. Oh, I offended this person--of course it's part of the TOS universe! I can go "This isn't a part of TOS, it's its own thing. But as long as I can relate to the characters--and I love Anson Mount so much as Pike, I'm OK with it not being a part of TOS, even if they are using canonical names." As long as I'm relating to the characters and I'm having fun, I'm happy just to be entertained. (I stopped being entertained by Discovery. I always hated Michael, even from the pilot. Stupid Mary Sue.)

This is what I was saying earlier -- set canon aside and I'll set my complaints aside (except for plugging Burnham in this show).   But don't tell me this is TOS universe when everything I know about the TOS universe is shrieking "NO NO NO!"   That's what this show is trying to do, and it offends me. 

9 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

No way this Chapel become the woman who glowed with happiness at a request for plomeek soup or that Uhura's fulfillment turned out to be opening hailing frequencies. In miniskirts.

Exactly.   If the situation were reversed -- if young Chapel were a standoffish cadet making goo-goo eyes at a young Spock, but grew into the resourceful, free-spirited woman we see on SNW, it would make more sense.   Same for Uhura, if she had started out stuck as a glorified switchboard operator but in time became a valued officer  whose talent for language enables her to help bridge the language barrier with alien species ... that would seem realistic.   But this show would have us believe that as they get older, Chapel and Uhura will regress into the one-dimensional anachronisms we see on TOS. 

8 hours ago, WildPlum said:

Well, one change I do like is that this version of Pike is much more easy-going and likable. The Pike I remember from TOS was, pretty much, an uptight jerk. Sort of an uber Kirk.

The change in Pike's demeanor is plausible.   I believe I read in this forum that the events of The Menagerie are supposed to be about ten years in the past.   I can see a young, uptight commander becoming more confident and approachable over ten years.  I think we saw that happen with Picard ("There is a child on my bridge") and even Kirk.

2 hours ago, Pallas said:

Chris Pike is becoming Spock's human father figure: the one who provides everything that Sarek can't. Pike is going to be burnt to a husk, and despite Spock's knowing this already, he will be unable to prevent it. Strange New Worlds isn't only showing how an older, First Officer Spock became willing to commit mutiny and risk the death penalty to give his former captain a better life; it's also showing why this credibly half-human Spock will eventually identify as a Vulcan, only: to exile his grief.

This is an interesting take, and right in step with canon, which clearly portrays a marked difference in the Menagerie-era Spock and Spock of TOS.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I look at this like it's a mythological collection of stories - just like the Arthurian legends- that can be told with many variations. That works most of the time, not always *cough*Picard*cough*

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

I look at this like it's a mythological collection of stories - just like the Arthurian legends- that can be told with many variations. That works most of the time, not always *cough*Picard*cough*

LOL, I used the Arthurian legends rationalization many years ago trying to explain the wild contradictions of the Highlander universe.

• LOL 1
On 6/2/2022 at 9:39 AM, paigow said:

What about putting on a suit and using the transporter?

1. Agreed. We’re supposed to believe that Una engaged the shields, just so they could walk out in their uniforms, instead of putting on space suits like the ensigns were doing?
2. We’re also supposed to believe that when shields are engaged, there’s a breathable atmosphere inside them?

Why not just put them in space suits and go out the airlock?

16 minutes ago, kay1864 said:

1. Agreed. We’re supposed to believe that Una engaged the shields, just so they could walk out in their uniforms, instead of putting on space suits like the ensigns were doing?

They wanted to break the rules so they had to up the challenge since what would be breaking the rules for a cadet or ensign wouldn’t be for them. 

17 minutes ago, kay1864 said:

2. We’re also supposed to believe that when shields are engaged, there’s a breathable atmosphere inside them?

It wasn’t the shields. It was a force field. 

Does anyone know what the deal is with the "five year mission?"  If Talos IV was 10 years in the past, does that mean this is Pike's second/third "five year mission" aboard the Enterprise?   And if his radiation accident is still 10 years in the future, does that mean he has  yet another full five-year mission ahead, after the current one is completed?  

Likewise, does that mean that Uhura and Chapel will have been aboard the Enterprise at least 10 years before Kirk takes command -- but never advance in rank beyond Lieutenant and Nurse?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, millennium said:

Does anyone know what the deal is with the "five year mission?"  If Talos IV was 10 years in the past, does that mean this is Pike's second/third "five year mission" aboard the Enterprise?   And if his radiation accident is still 10 years in the future, does that mean he has  yet another full five-year mission ahead, after the current one is completed?  

This show is set in 2258, The Cage was set in 2254 and Pike took command of the Enterprise in 2250. So he’s in his second 5 year mission. Assuming command is transferred to Kirk at the end of a five year mission, he should complete 3. 

2 hours ago, millennium said:

Likewise, does that mean that Uhura and Chapel will have been aboard the Enterprise at least 10 years before Kirk takes command -- but never advance in rank beyond Lieutenant and Nurse?

That’s a harder question to answer. Kirk takes command at some point before Pike’s accident and there’s no guarantee that either women spend the whole time on the Enterprise. Uhura is currently a cadet so she will be promoted 3 times before Kirk takes command. 

For Chapel, nurse isn’t a rank and she not currently a member of Starfleet. So from now until Kirk takes command she would have to join star fleet and be promoted to Junior Lieutenant.

Some positions are known by their occupation rather than rank. Dr. Crusher was a Commander throughout TNG but Dr. McCoy was a Lieutenant Commander in TOS. Counselor Troi is another example. 

46 minutes ago, kay1864 said:

Ah ok, thanks.
So how is casting a force field breaking the rules?

No clue they just assumed to must be. They didn’t seem all that certain. 

2 minutes ago, Dani said:

This show is set in 2258, The Cage was set in 2254 and Pike took command of the Enterprise in 2250. So he’s in his second 5 year mission. Assuming command is transferred to Kirk at the end of a five year mission, he should complete 3. 

Thank you for the timeline.  Has a date ever been set for the year Kirk takes command?

16 hours ago, Pallas said:

Chris Pike is becoming Spock's human father figure: the one who provides everything that Sarek can't. Pike is going to be burnt to a husk, and despite Spock's knowing this already, he will be unable to prevent it. 

Does Spock currently know about Pike's flashforward? I thought Pike has only told Number One.

53 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Does Spock currently know about Pike's flashforward? I thought Pike has only told Number One.

He does. They talked about just after they returned to the Enterprise. 

9 hours ago, millennium said:

Thank you for the timeline.  Has a date ever been set for the year Kirk takes command?

Google says 2264 or 2265. I don’t know how accurate that is though. The year he took command was confirmed in Discovery. 

10 hours ago, kay1864 said:

Ah ok, thanks.

From what I gathered, it's not casting a force field that's breaking the rules, it's signing the scorch that's breaking the rules. That is a completely stupid, dangerous thing to do. They were even concerned of the force field not holding.

16 hours ago, millennium said:

Exactly.   If the situation were reversed -- if young Chapel were a standoffish cadet making goo-goo eyes at a young Spock, but grew into the resourceful, free-spirited woman we see on SNW, it would make more sense.   Same for Uhura, if she had started out stuck as a glorified switchboard operator but in time became a valued officer  whose talent for language enables her to help bridge the language barrier with alien species ... that would seem realistic.   But this show would have us believe that as they get older, Chapel and Uhura will regress into the one-dimensional anachronisms we see on TOS. 

Well, a few potential ways to look at it:

1. Though TOS only chose to show us single dimensions of Uhura and Chapel, there were more dimensions to them all along. The characters under the surface of what we saw in TOS had the same traits as we see now in SNW.

2. Something happens between SNW and TOS to change Chapel from a confident freewheeling, bi-, love em and leave them woman who had serious medical chops in her own right to a demure and mousy woman who had eyes only for two men and and who basically just follows McCoy's lead in much the way a 1960s nurse might. Something happens between SNW and TOS to change Uhura from an outspoken and confident cadet trying to figure out her place in Starfleet and a budding linguistic genius to a woman who mainly let the captain know hailing frequencies were open and who acted much like a stereotypical 1960s woman might in that situation.

3. As with James Bond, comic franchises etc., the broad strokes of the stories happen, but in the latest versions people shouldn't get hung up on minute details like the set design in SNW being sleeker, the characters being rounder and closer to what 2022 might think of as full people, etc.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I love this show.  It has the feeling of optimism of TOS that was so appealing to me as a kid.  Discovery is too dark.  Growing up during the Cold War, the most impressive thing to me about TOS was that there was a Russian on the bridge.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Well, a few potential ways to look at it:

Yabbut, they're a stretch and, really, viewers shouldn't have to come up with potential ways to look at something that wasn't necessary in the first place. Chapel and Uhura are on this show because they're familiar, not because anything tells us they were part of the crew at that time. It would have been better to let these be new characters, rather than make us have to make sense of them devolving into the characters from TOS.

• Love 1
(edited)

Another fun episode, making strong use of all the cast (well, except Hemmer, that is) with multiple interwoven sub-plots that help us get to know them all better. I really, really like that the show is taking the time to firmly establish the bonds between the various characters instead of just telling us that they exist, mixing and matching the pairings so that we get to see different relationships and dynamics. (And again I mourn that we weren't allowed to get to know the PIC cast through writing like this).

On 6/3/2022 at 10:09 PM, NeenerNeener said:

I wish she wasn't a Noonien Singh, though. That family has become as ubiquitous in current Trek as Miles O'Brian was in 80's/90's Trek, and a little bit of them goes a looooooong way.

La'an is the only member of her family we have ever met other than Khan Noonien Singh himself. The Noonien Singhs are not connected to the very ubiquitous Soong family of TNG, ENT, and PIC, although PIC did imply that a Soong ancestor once worked with Khan Noonien Singh - probably the reason one of his descendants was called Noonian as his given name. There is no known relationship between the two families.

The Doylist explanation for the very similar names Noonian Soong and Khan Noonien Singh, I am told, is that Gene Roddenberry once knew a man called Noonien Singh and kept throwing the name out there hoping his old friend would spot it and get in touch. I don't know how reliable that story is, though!

Edited by Llywela
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, monakane said:

the most impressive thing to me about TOS was that there was a Russian on the bridge.  

initially wearing a wig more ridiculous than... [ ] 

• LOL 3
15 minutes ago, marinw said:

As long as SNW is serving up heapings of fan service, I would not be unhappy with an episode like Journey To Babel.

Hijinks ensue when a Tellarite accuses Hemmer of being an Orion spy... and tries to pull off his antennae... 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Am I the only one who finds it odd that T’Pring and Spock kiss and apparently have an active sex life? BTW, this question has nothing to do with Pon Farr. I find the kissing even more odd than the sex! 😏

2 hours ago, Llywela said:

The Doylist explanation for the very similar names Noonian Soong and Khan Noonien Singh, I am told, is that Gene Roddenberry once knew a man called Noonien Singh and kept throwing the name out there hoping his old friend would spot it and get in touch. I don't know how reliable that story is, though!

I've heard that story before, but I think the friend's name was Clingon, and that's why the Klingons are named after this. I got that from a book called Star Trek FAQ, but it may not be very accurate.

17 hours ago, kay1864 said:

Ah ok, thanks.

Let's assume that this is beyond the skills and clearance of cadets and ensigns.

7 hours ago, historylover820 said:

From what I gathered, it's not casting a force field that's breaking the rules, it's signing the scorch that's breaking the rules. That is a completely stupid, dangerous thing to do. They were even concerned about the force field not holding.

On 6/2/2022 at 3:42 PM, tennisgurl said:

Their sailing ship really did look cool. 

Very original TRON-ish, IMO.

On 6/3/2022 at 11:25 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

1. What happened in this episode was not "complete life entity transfer." What was done here initially was sharing of katras (which in and of itself is not necessarily the same thing as a "complete life entity"). Which implies some of the katras stayed in their original host and some of it went to the other. It seemed the "guest" katra dominated the inherent katra.

That's a good explanation, and we saw that in the movies with Spock and McCoy, too. Even so, I didn't care for it. Very gimmicky and a little silly. I like humorous, but this seemed uninspired.

On 6/4/2022 at 7:01 PM, rtms77 said:

Pike is just super hot! That green jacket/shirt was a great update on the Kirk era version. Not to mention almost nothing gets by this guy. He's incredibly perceptive .

Aside from his deciding to keep Una's species from Starfleet, Pike has been an ideal Starfleet character. I loved him in Discovery and he continues to be great.

On 6/3/2022 at 9:03 PM, Maverick said:

I really don't understand the obsession with focusing on this era.   At least the movies established they were an alternate timeline, but really what are they adding to the franchise by constantly revisiting the same period, characters and aliens?   They could at least do something between the TOS and TNG era, where there's room for both originality and a lot to mine, like first contact with the Cardassians and the Tzinkethi war.

The show is milking those connections for all it's worth. I don't mind them when they are adding depth to the Gorn. I didn't care as much for this episode, less because it connected to TOS than because I just don't care about Spock and T'Pring. As a decades-long ST fan, I will admit this show *is* comforting. It fits almost right alongside TOS. I just want to see a bit more "boldly go where no one had gone before."

I thought it odd that the Vulcan assistant to T'Pring told her "you're the only one who can pull this off." That didn't sound very Vulcan.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Ottis said:

I thought it odd that the Vulcan assistant to T'Pring told her "you're the only one who can pull this off." That didn't sound very Vulcan.

She is some kind of criminal justice reformer? Advocating rehabilitation? Maybe Stonn was an outlaw that she fell in love with...

• Wink 1
21 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

Yabbut, they're a stretch and, really, viewers shouldn't have to come up with potential ways to look at something that wasn't necessary in the first place. Chapel and Uhura are on this show because they're familiar, not because anything tells us they were part of the crew at that time. It would have been better to let these be new characters, rather than make us have to make sense of them devolving into the characters from TOS.

YMMV, but I would hate to see a character as groundbreaking as Uhura ignored because she was created in a time when women on tv were one-dimensional. Star Trek is pretty unique in that the world built has to evolve to be true to the ideals that are supposed to exist in that world. This Uhura and Chapel may feel out of character with their characterization on TOS but they are more in character for the world the show is supposed to be set in. 

8 hours ago, Dani said:

YMMV, but I would hate to see a character as groundbreaking as Uhura ignored because she was created in a time when women were one-dimensional. Star Trek is pretty unique in that the world built has to evolve to be true to the ideals that are supposed to exist in that world. This Uhura and Chapel may feel out of character with their characterization on TOS but they are more in character for the world the show is supposed to be set in. 

Well, the characters are behaving in a way more like our own time than however they will behave 200+ years in the future - but that is always an issue, our "modern" perspective always flavors behaviors and clothes/dress/hair. True also for "historical" entertainment, where the hair and dress (and manner) has been modernized to our own era to some extent.

• Useful 1

When I first saw the two crew members being busted playing "Bingo" I thought they were kids, like actual children. I know I'm old but holy cow this series casts young. 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 3
20 hours ago, Llywela said:

La'an is the only member of her family we have ever met other than Khan Noonien Singh himself. The Noonien Singhs are not connected to the very ubiquitous Soong family of TNG, ENT, and PIC, although PIC did imply that a Soong ancestor once worked with Khan Noonien Singh - probably the reason one of his descendants was called Noonian as his given name. There is no known relationship between the two families.

My apologies...I was mixing up the Singhs with the Soongs that are liberally sprinkled throughout Picard and TNG.

• LOL 1
14 hours ago, Dani said:

YMMV, but I would hate to see a character as groundbreaking as Uhura ignored because she was created in a time when women on tv were one-dimensional. Star Trek is pretty unique in that the world built has to evolve to be true to the ideals that are supposed to exist in that world. This Uhura and Chapel may feel out of character with their characterization on TOS but they are more in character for the world the show is supposed to be set in. 

No intentional disregard implied or intended. We don't know that Uhura and Chapel were on Pike's enterprise; we know that Spock and Chin-Riley were. Not having Spock or Chin-Riley in SNW would be ignoring them. Not having Uhura and Chapel would be no different than not including say, Sulu. I agree that they're more in character for this world, but this world is still in the prime timeline. So, for me, it's a problem to reconcile these badass women with the more demure versions we know they become.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 6/7/2022 at 12:26 PM, Passing Strange said:

No intentional disregard implied or intended. We don't know that Uhura and Chapel were on Pike's enterprise; we know that Spock and Chin-Riley were. Not having Spock or Chin-Riley in SNW would be ignoring them. Not having Uhura and Chapel would be no different than not including say, Sulu. I agree that they're more in character for this world, but this world is still in the prime timeline. So, for me, it's a problem to reconcile these badass women with the more demure versions we know they become.

I agree that you really can’t reconcile this version to the demure version they will become but I also can’t reconcile those demure versions to the world that is supposed to exist in the prime timeline. They are who they were in TOS because of the time period and not because they are representative of what a woman would be like in 2265. I’m not saying they are more in character with our world. I am saying they are more in character with the world they are supposed to live in. They are more true to the ideals of Star Trek and that is more important to me than them being able to turn into their TOS versions. I understand why people would feel differently but I rather see them changed to be closer to what they always should have been than be left out or be in character. 

I don't know....

I was so excited to see Pike on Discovery and then finding out that a spinoff featuring Pike's Enterprise was happening, because here is a character that could be mined. (Also, the casting of Anson Mount as Pike is genius and not a lot of genius things have been happening with these new Star Trek shows). I'm not into the Star Trek novels or anything like that--I just kind of know TOS and the movies (also TNG). So, outside of The Menagerie and The Cage, I didn't know a lot about Pike.

And, the same with Chapel and Uhura.

Chapel and Uhura, even though they are recurring roles (well, Uhura is a main character), they weren't give a lot of focus in TOS. (Although they received more in TAS, but I haven't gotten around to watching all of TAS on Paramount+, and the cartoon ended a few years before I was born). So, while I'd like to see Korby show up and Chapel become engaged to him, I'm OK with both of these characters getting more development. 

I mean, we didn't even know Uhura's first name! (Nyota was just a fan theory until 2009). We know Chapel ultimately became a doctor. But that's pretty much it.  So, yeah, even if these two characters don't quite fit into the '60s series, I'm glad they're on this show, getting character development, which was sadly lacking

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, historylover820 said:

I'm glad they're on this show, getting character development, which was sadly lacking

Tomayto Tomato... Development Retcon... Uhura goes from Cadet to Lt... all before Kirk takes command a few years from now

Chapel had never served on a ship before hitching a ride with Kirk... seeing her backstory unfold on a Starbase / private research facility that Pike has to protect from the Klingons would more closely resemble development IMO

On 6/4/2022 at 8:54 PM, Starchild said:

Hey I'm from Halifax too! Cool!

As am I. Well Dartmouth, but it's hard enough finding people who know what Halifax is 😁

• Applause 1
On 6/5/2022 at 1:54 AM, Starchild said:

Hey I'm from Halifax too! Cool!

6 hours ago, thecdn said:

As am I. Well Dartmouth, but it's hard enough finding people who know what Halifax is 😁

6 hours ago, marinw said:

There is also a Halifax in England.

There's a Dartmouth in England as well, and it is at the opposite end of the country from Halifax, so as a Brit this conversation is really funny to me, because those names have very different associations for me than they do for you!

• LOL 2
(edited)

Yeah, this is the one that made it clear to me that regardless of what the show people say, this is not the Prime timeline.

Not unless the entire crew suffers brain damage/gets mindwiped sometime before Kirk takes command.

That said, I’m enjoying the heck out of it and it’s the most TOSsian Trek since TAS.

Also, loved THAT MUSIC and the TRON shoutout.

Edited by QuantumMechanic
On 6/13/2022 at 7:56 PM, Starchild said:

I was born in a Halifax hospital, but we lived in Dartmouth.

Same. Grace Maternity in Halifax. I'm so old there were no hospitals in Dartmouth at the time :)

Where in Dartmouth? We lived in two different places around the Tam O'Shanter Ridge area.