Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 5/30/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, May 30 – (ENCORE BROADCAST - OAD: 5/4/22) Lindsey Granger guest co-hosts; Minnie Driver (author, “Managing Expectations”); former co-host Paula Faris (CARRY Media)

Tuesday, May 31 – Tara Setmayer guest co-hosts; Seth MacFarlane (“The Orville”)  

Wednesday, June 1 – Tara Setmayer guest co-hosts; Sara Bareilles (“Girl5eva”)

Thursday, June 2 – Tara Setmayer guest co-hosts; Joy Behar, Meredith Vieira, Star Jones and Debbie Matenopoulos reunite at the Essex House in NYC, the site of their audition for “The View” in 1997

Friday, June 3 – Mike Colter (“Evil”)

Why is Setmayer there the day the original hosts are back? Or is the stuff with the original hosts just going to be a video shown in the second half and not them at the table? That's a shame, if so.

Aside from Meredith and the other original hosts, Sara Bareilles is really the only part of this week I expect not to be awful... Since they were determined to encore one of the episodes with Granger, at least they picked the one Paula Faris was on this time.

I'd much rather watch Tara Setmayer than the two "Storm Troopers". Not sure why they've chosen episodes with Lindsey to rerun this past Friday and Memorial Day.

Was the reunion show pretaped, or will it be live since it was (rightfully) postponed? In any case, it will be great to see the OGs back together again.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Most underwhelming major announcement ever.  Seriously.  Who cares where they’re broadcasting from?  That would be no one.

I’m surprised that they’re going to the Bahamas. Their “field trips” are usually trips to Disney. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I’m surprised that they’re going to the Bahamas. Their “field trips” are usually trips to Disney. 

Well Disney does have their own island in the Bahamas where their cruise stops so that's probably where they'll be.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Bronzedog said:

Most underwhelming major announcement ever.  Seriously.  Who cares where they’re broadcasting from?  That would be no one.

really

i mean, i was afraid it was going to be announcing the new permanent co-host, so it was relief that it wasn't that, but, yeah, big deal, who cares!!!

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

The loover, Whoopi?

yeah, couldn't somebody tell her how to pronounce it.  

• Love 2

I got bored and turned off the tv after the discussion about the bride’s sister objecting at the wedding. Forgot there would be a MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT!!!  So they’re going to the Bahamas?  Woo <yawn> hoo.  

• LOL 1
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I got bored and turned off the tv after the discussion about the bride’s sister objecting at the wedding. Forgot there would be a MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT!!!  So they’re going to the Bahamas?  Woo <yawn> hoo.  

IKR!?!  That's the biggest bait and switch I've ever heard!  I thought for sure we would finally end this guessing game.  Sorry PTB,  but after the Non Big Announcement,  have fun in the sun.  Think of us won't you .....yada yada yada. ORRR, TPTB already know who its going to be, and they're not telling but buttering up the panel and getting them all Island-happy before lowering the boom.

Edited by ForumLou
Thoughts
4 hours ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

They need to chat up Ripa.  She can give them all the scoop lol

I thought when they made their “major” announcement about the Bahamas they were going to at least take the audience or someone from the audience with them.  Or something.  But, no.  Nothing.  I was as excited to hear the news as I would be if some random stranger approached me in a grocery store and told me they were going to the Bahamas.  Oh YAY!!!  So what, Who cares…

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

It would have been a bigger announcement, and just as interesting, if they had done something about the bike lanes Whoopie always bitches about.

• LOL 3
(edited)
22 hours ago, Haleth said:

I like Tara but she takes over the conversation. Poor Sara can’t get a word in unless Whoopi makes everyone else shut up. 

Sara is so dependent on Whoppi or the bell to talk.

She didn't say a word during the first segment and, of course, they had to clear space to let her talk first during the next segment. This has happened many times.

I don't think Tara took over the conversation anymore than Stephanie or Alyssa what's her name has done.

Edited by Rightside
  • Love 1

Can we just, please, pick Tara, and be over with it? !. She is a Conservative Republican 2. She has a brain, and has worked in Government. 3. She is not afraid to speak up.  4. She loathes Trump 5. The audience seems to like her. 6. She isn't Farrah or Stephanie!

• Applause 2
  • Love 11

As much as it pains me to defend Whoopie. She pronounced Louvre correctly. At least correctly insofar as it is pronounced in France. I lived in Europe for 7 years and that is how I heard it pronounced. Also, the car that we pronounce "Porsch,"they pronounce "Porsha."  The e at the end is pronounced "uh." My German friend, Christine, is pronounced Christina. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, cinsays said:

yeah, couldn't somebody tell her how to pronounce it.  

She also introduced Tara Setmayer as "Stetmayer", which she's done before. 

• LOL 2
10 hours ago, Morgalisa said:

As much as it pains me to defend Whoopie. She pronounced Louvre correctly. At least correctly insofar as it is pronounced in France

You kind of have to swallow the "r" so it's a gutteral sound deep in your throat.  I think if I were in Paris and asked for directions to The Loover I'd get laughed at.

11 hours ago, Rightside said:

I don't Tara took over the conversation anymore than Stephanie or Alyssa what's her name has done.

Sara can't compete with all those big personalities.  I like Tara better than Stephanie and Alyssa but the new host will probably be one of those two.  For a minute I thought the MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT would be the new cohost, and with Tara sitting there I was hoping she'd be the new addition.  Alas, I think we'll have to wait for the first show of the new season for the MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT regarding new cohost, but surely it will be spoiled over the summer.

14 hours ago, Rightside said:

Sara is so dependent on Whoppi or the bell to talk.

She didn't say a word during the first segment and, of course, they had to clear space to let her talk first during the next segment. This has happened many times.

Maybe she likes to think about what she's going to say rather than shooting her mouth off with poll numbers that have no meaning like Sunny or squawking about everything being Trumps fault like Joy. They quite often don't all have a go in the first segment although it is usually Whoopi as moderator who is last to give an opinion.

Watching yesterday's show: Sunny keeps repeating that people who have mental health issues are ten times more likely to be victimized than to perpetrate violence. Perhaps she is right (since I didn't look this stat up), but she repeats it every time that someone mentions that dealing with people who go on shooting sprees should involve red flag laws or mental health screening. However, it seems obvious that at least some of these folks, like the guy in Uvalde, do have some mental issues. So why deny that component? Of course, all people with mental issues should not be automatically considered dangerous, just as all people who own guns shouldn't be automatically considered dangerous, but if you want to fully address this kind of attack, look at all the factors, not just one (the gun). 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Watching yesterday's show: Sunny keeps repeating that people who have mental health issues are ten times more likely to be victimized than to perpetrate violence. Perhaps she is right (since I didn't look this stat up), but she repeats it every time that someone mentions that dealing with people who go on shooting sprees should involve red flag laws or mental health screening. However, it seems obvious that at least some of these folks, like the guy in Uvalde, do have some mental issues. So why deny that component? Of course, all people with mental issues should not be automatically considered dangerous, just as all people who own guns shouldn't be automatically considered dangerous, but if you want to fully address this kind of attack, look at all the factors, not just one (the gun). 

I think that she does that because people who suffer from mental illness are already stigmatized by society with all types of bad labels and she probably does not want another label added on to them. I appreciate her stressing that  people who suffer from mental illnesses are more likely to be victims of a crime rather than the perpetrator. 

Why can't we just call evil people evil.  That shooter probably already had a personality disorder like sociopathy or psychopathy and his radicalization online just made him worst. 

• Love 18
10 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

I think that she does that because people who suffer from mental illness are already stigmatized by society with all types of bad labels and she probably does not want another label added on to them. I appreciate her stressing that  people who suffer from mental illnesses are more likely to be victims of a crime rather than the perpetrator. 

My son when he was a teenager had a serious drug addiction.  In my state they have what is called a mental hygiene hold.  A loved one can go and file papers if they think their loved one is a danger to themselves or someone else. You go in front of judge for this specific type of hearing and your loved one is represented by an appointed lawyer.  The first time I did this (I had to do multiple times. My son has now been clean for over 10 years) his lawyer approached me and told me you know if you do this your son will not be allowed to ever purchase a gun.  I said that is the least of my concerns right now. I'm trying to keep my son alive and this lawyer is trying to play the gun card with me.  

14 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Why can't we just call evil people evil.  That shooter probably already had a personality disorder like sociopathy or psychopathy and his radicalization online just made him worst. 

I do think there needs to be a distinction between mentally ill which encompasses depression, schizophrenia, anxiety and whatever causes a person to go and shoot a room full of little kids.  IMO there is mentally ill sick and then there is evil sick.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 10
11 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

I am certain that Sunny says this to emphasize that not everyone with mental issues is dangerous and should be stigmatized. I think this is true. My issue is that when she says this without acknowledging that it is likely that this particular person (the shooter) may have mental issues that contributed to their behavior, it sounds as though she is dismissing that factor entirely. 

I think there are some people who are just plain evil, but I think more people have issues or have been affected by circumstances or people and end up do things that are destructive. If they get help soon enough, they could be salvageable, and a reckless, destructive act could be avoided. An person who is evil is irredeemable, in my opinion. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It's definitely interesting what leads people to be so evil. I deal with mental health issues but would never dream of hurting anyone, and I know that's true for most. 

I had a lot more in my post but deleted because I wasn't sure if it was okay with board rules.

Can a mod or someone else clear up whether or not we can discuss our thoughts regarding guns? Is that okay or is it considered political?

(edited)
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

Sarah kind of hit on it today.   She said the right goes to blaming mental health and the left goes to guns.   Sunny keeps mentioning her stat that the mentally ill or more likely to be victim on violence than perpetrators because the right tends to want to end the discussion with mental health and doesn't want to address guns.   Sunny has also advocated for mental health enough in general that I already know she's not trying to disregard mental health as a factor in these situations.   But she's trying to keep the focus on the gun as well. 

Edited by After7Only
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Sarah kind of hit on it today.   She said the right goes to blaming mental health and the left goes to guns.

One only needs to look at the graph of dates of mass shootings to see when they started happening with more frequency.

5 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Sunny has also advocated for mental health enough in general that I already know she's not trying to disregard mental health as a factor in these situations.   But she's trying to keep the focus on the gun as well. 

It doesn't have to be an either/or conversation.  Would most of these mass shootings not happen if the perpetrator was mentally sound.  Probably.  Would these mass shootings not happen if the perpetrator didn't have a gun.  Yes.  You can't talk about mass shootings without discussing the gun used.  

• Love 16
25 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

It's definitely interesting what leads people to be so evil. I deal with mental health issues but would never dream of hurting anyone, and I know that's true for most. 

I had a lot more in my post but deleted because I wasn't sure if it was okay with board rules.

Can a mod or someone else clear up whether or not we can discuss our thoughts regarding guns? Is that okay or is it considered political?

EVERYTHING in this country is political and as an outsider who has been here for almost 20 years I still fail to understand why these people on either side can't seem to have a thought of their own or if they do they get ostracized by their "side".

You need a license to drive in every state yet in some states you can walk into a store & 5 minutes later walk out with an assault rifle, I just don't understand it. As usual the loud minority will win the day because they make the most noise and the law makers get to ignore 90% of the country.

• Love 7

I'm glad they made sure to give Joy her time in the second segment since she didn't get to say more than a sentence or two in the first segment, since they'll do the same for Sara and Ana. I did think it was a bit odd, because they tend to have a sort of order to the way they talk--Whoopi introduces the topic, then Joy, then Sunny, then conservative guest co-host, then Sara, then back to Joy and Sunny for a little back-and-forth with the others, then Whoopi gives the final word and commercial.

I don't like Tara, but at least she hasn't shouted this week like she did the last time she was there, I can't take shouting outside of moments where it's needed (usually to stop someone like KAC last week who is a rat-a-tat-tat sort of talker who never ends a sentence). That clip compilation they played at the beginning of today's show...just wow. Inserting transphobia and racism into a conversation about shootings--truly obscene.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, After7Only said:

Sarah kind of hit on it today.   She said the right goes to blaming mental health and the left goes to guns. 

And then she went on to say that the Democrats back it up by trying to offer legislation that will help decrease gun access, while the Republicans...offer nothing in the way of promoting better mental health. That in fact they vote down increases to mental health funding. And that is because it's just a talking point to them, to deflect from the real issue.

• Love 21

The reunion was interesting, more interesting than the first half of the show. Wish the whole hour had been devoted to the chat with the original cohosts. 

• Like 1
  • Love 10
22 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Isn't that rather difficult, especially with a show like The View?!!!! I mean, what isn't going to be considered POLITICAL?!! 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Wish the whole hour had been devoted to the chat with the original cohosts. 

The entire hour would have been great.  They should put more of the conversation on the website for the fans.  

• Like 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

The reunion was interesting, more interesting than the first half of the show. Wish the whole hour had been devoted to the chat with the original cohosts. 

I absolutely adored those early clips, especially from the audition when the show was still being called The View From Here.

• Love 3