Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 5/30/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

Gun discussion - Did Whoopi not hear what Tara pointed out? Mass shootings (which the team constantly refers to) are defined as 4 or more people shot, and most of the cases that qualify as "mass shootings" involve hand guns, not AR-15 (or similar type guns) because they aren't all shootings at schools or even public gatherings, but more personal. So banning AR-15s only solves 1 part of the problem, and may not even reduce the number of "mass shootings".  Other strategies must be considered as part of a comprehensive approach. A lot of the panel seems stuck on the idea that there is one magic action that will solve the problem, but that solution (get rid of all guns) is impractical and not feasible. If they can't get someone to agree to that, then they don't want to hear about any solutions that address any other parts of the problem. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

Gun discussion - Did Whoopi not hear what Tara pointed out? Mass shootings (which the team constantly refers to) are defined as 4 or more people shot, and most of the cases that qualify as "mass shootings" involve hand guns, not AR-15 (or similar type guns) because they aren't all shootings at schools or even public gatherings, but more personal. So banning AR-15s only solves 1 part of the problem, and may not even reduce the number of "mass shootings".  Other strategies must be considered as part of a comprehensive approach. A lot of the panel seems stuck on the idea that there is one magic action that will solve the problem, but that solution (get rid of all guns) is impractical and not feasible. If they can't get someone to agree to that, then they don't want to hear about any solutions that address any other parts of the problem. 

It doesn't matter, the AR15 is an assault rifle made for one thing only, killing people, end of story. Banning them should be a no brainer for both sides, one side gets a gun banned & the other gets to keep all the other guns, win win. All we hear is "other solutions", what other solutions? It's all good flapping their gums about mental health this & that, and then doing absolutely nothing, just do something, anything but no as I said in a previous post the majority will be ignored because the minority makes more noise.

You have to start somewhere and I can't remember hearing anyone say get rid of all guns. What would you suggest as a solution ?

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 8
  • Love 12

I don't think Whoopi likes Tara any more than I do.

That video of the old co-hosts was fun, I liked that they talked about Star's impromptu goodbye and all the drama around her weight on the show. And Whoopi's shoutout to the copycat shows.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

It doesn't matter, the AR15 is an assault rifle made for one thing only, killing people, end of story. Banning them should be a no brainer for both sides, one side gets a gun banned & the other gets to keep all the other guns, win win. All we hear is "other solutions", what other solutions? It's all good flapping their gums about mental health this & that, and then doing absolutely nothing, just do something, anything but no as I said in a previous post the majority will be ignored because the minority makes more noise.

You have to start somewhere and I can't remember hearing anyone say get rid of all guns. What would you suggest as a solution ?

I hope I'm not drifting into areas that the posting policy forbids. I don't mean to.

I agree that politicians and pundits (and even people on the View) should be clearer about what other types of solutions they would recommend. 

I think I heard Tara agree that banning future sales of AR-15s should be part of the solution. Personally, I have no problem with that, either. What I find annoying is that it seems to be the only potential solution the panel talks about.  If one of them said something like, "banning this weapon would be a good first step to addressing the issue of mass shootings", I would agree with them. A ban like this could even be a big step forward, especially for situations where the shooter targets larger groups of people. However, I think this is a problem that can't be solved by a single action; more factors need to be addressed, and yes, more solutions should be explored in addition to banning AR-15s. One thing to worry about is if this one thing gets done, then everyone says, "Great job! All fixed" and no further aspects of the problem are addressed. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

You have to start somewhere and I can't remember hearing anyone say get rid of all guns.

Actually, the only person in the segment who said that was Tara ("Getting rid of all guns is not the solution" or some crock) because she wanted to muddy the waters of the discussion, whereas the others had been focused on AR-15's specifically. I think that's the reason Whoopi told her she was blowing smoke.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, KittyQ said:

no, they do not want to get rid of all guns - they have said that repeatedly

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Geez, Sunny, not everything is terrible in London or Great Britain.  I haven’t been in decades but always had a wonderful time there. Sometimes her smug judgmentalism is way over the top. 

• Applause 6
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Geez, Sunny, not everything is terrible in London or Great Britain.  I haven’t been in decades but always had a wonderful time there. Sometimes her smug judgmentalism is way over the top. 

Oh this should be good when we on west coast get to watch, I don't like her at the best of times, let's see how much shit she quotes from surveys or shit she makes up in her crazy head today.

• Love 5

I know Barbara couldn't/wouldn't/didn't want to? be part of the reunion yesterday, but I'm so glad we got to see clips of when she was on during the chemistry tests.

It's like the word guns/AR-15 is a Rorschach test or something. That back and forth argument between Whoopi and Tara was just...wow. It seems like Tara wasn't listening or didn't hear what Whoopi, Joy, or Sunny were saying.

And what was that Sunny was saying how she was now Team Joy about voting all Republicans out? She's been saying that for months. I remember commenting on that and thinking she wanted the country to go single party, and someone here clarified what she meant. So her saying she's "now" in agreement with Joy? Whatever, Sunny.

Instead of the stupid other topics, I wish they'd dedicated the whole show to the reunion and shown clips.

• Sad 1
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Instead of the stupid other topics, I wish they'd dedicated the whole show to the reunion and shown clips.

Agreed. I thought Joy, Meredith, Star and Debbie all looked fantastic.

• Love 10

Sunny has no fucking idea what she's talking about, she should just fuck off. And Joy? Of course they speak fucking English in England, the clue is in the name of the country.

Every country has good & bad points and Sunny obviously had no friends to show her around when she lived there with her attitude, and is there anything she hasn't done?  And I love Sarah but fuck me shut the fuck up about the money aspect of the royal family when you don't know how things work, Whoopie at least has an idea.

Elon has a point in  my opinion. It's his company & if he wants people in the office that's up to him & he did say he would look at individual cases, but what he says today could change next week with him.

• Love 2

Miss Sunny would sing a different tune if her daughter came home and told her she was in love and engaged to a British prince.  She would put Carol Middleton to shame with her self importance and her fawning over the new in-laws.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Sunny has no fucking idea what she's talking about

I didn't think anything she said was incorrect necessarily (about the past anyway), it was more that she was being a Debbie Downer on a fluff topic and making something intended for pointless banter oh so serious. I agreed with Joy and Whoopi, that those things happened with the U.S. government, that's the history of most institutions that are more than a century old.

She did the same thing on the cancellations topic. It's like she wanted to one-up Joy for disagreeing with her by bringing up the Hollywood Reporter thing. She does that often with the other ladies, she will never accept simply agreeing to disagree on even the most anodyne of subjects.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

She does that often with the other ladies, she will never accept simply agreeing to disagree on even the most anodyne of subjects.

She always wants to be right.  Even if it's something that is just an opinion she wants to be right. And in order for her to be right everyone else has to be wrong. I wonder how many times Manny just gives up and says "Yes dear".

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

She always wants to be right.  Even if it's something that is just an opinion she wants to be right. And in order for her to be right everyone else has to be wrong. I wonder how many times Manny just gives up and says "Yes dear".

I've posted here before that Manny has to be the most patient man on earth!!

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Does Sunny think that women who want to work from home can build Teslas there?

I think they’re talking corporate, not folks on the production line. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I thought the "canceling plans at the last minute" discussion was hilarious, capped off with Joy saying, "Forget the makeup!  The brassiere was off!" 😄

And again Sunny was all pissy about Joy cancelling, yet she thought it was perfectly ok if she didn’t feel like going out. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

And again Sunny was all pissy about Joy cancelling, yet she thought it was perfectly ok if she didn’t feel like going out. 

I know, right? And she contradicted herself! First she said if it’s the day of and you get up in the morning and you don’t feel like it. But as the back and forth continued, she pivoted and said it’s after work, she just took the make up off, blah whine blah whine, and I was like, which is it? You suddenly feel like canceling that day or like a couple hours before?🤨🙄🙄🙄🙄

I loved Joy’s “So What?” “So What?” as Sunny kept bitching.

And what did Sunny mean that she learned about England colonizing everything it could when she lived there? I knew that as a kid! And she’s only a few years older than I am. I loved Whoopi shutting her down which her refusal to have anything positive to say about the milestone and how much the great grandkids were enjoying it.

Sunny is getting so tiresome.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I thought the "canceling plans at the last minute" discussion was hilarious, capped off with Joy saying, "Forget the makeup!  The brassiere was off!" 😄

I think Joy looks for any excuse to use the word brassiere. 😂 

• LOL 14
  • Love 3

Whoopie said the show Evil is on network TV. Evil is on Prime Video, with Prime subscription (season one only) and Paramont Plus. These are pay channels. I’m not always in tune with evolved meanings. Has the definition of network TV changed? 

1 hour ago, Glitches said:

Whoopie said the show Evil is on network TV. Evil is on Prime Video, with Prime subscription (season one only) and Paramont Plus. These are pay channels. I’m not always in tune with evolved meanings. Has the definition of network TV changed? 

It's a streaming show for sure, but the first season did air on CBS before it made the switch to Paramount Plus. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I have HBO and Showtime on my very expensive cable...also Prime Video since I order from Amazon all the time.

But I think I am like others with combinations or none -  it is boring to watch interviews with actors from what ever subscriptions I do not subscribe to - Netflix. Hula, Disney Plus, Apple, and on and on.

I get the hosts do have them, and I imagine ABC pays for them so they can be informed.

But meaningless to me. Especially when "stars" from those I pay for never seem to be on The View, lol.

Yeah, it seemed like the guest was only on because Whoopi likes the show.  I've never heard of him or the show so I ended up turning off the tv.  (No offense to him but I had things to do!)

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Yeah, it seemed like the guest was only on because Whoopi likes the show.  I've never heard of him or the show so I ended up turning off the tv.  (No offense to him but I had things to do!)

yeah, i didn't see any point to him being there.  i was sure it was going to be another instance of where the person was going to plug some venture whoopeee is starring in to stoke her ego like usual.

• Love 1

Evil starts it's 3rd season on June 12th as mentioned previously it's available through Paramount Plus. Mike has been in a few of the Marvel TV series including one devoted to the character he plays. I first took notice of him from a character he played who recurred originally on The Good Wife and has been seen a couple times since on The Good Fight. It was nice that it turned out to be an appearance where it wasn't connected to something Whoopi was actually in. She sure seemed like she wouldn't mind be asked to appear in an episode or two though. I'm not a super fan of Mike Colter's but I think he's a good actor, comes across a good guy and sure isn't hard to look at in the least. 

I'm going to watch the reunion part of Thursday's show over this weekend. I figured the reunion stuff was pre-taped since there were articles out about them all going out afterwards awhile back. I mostly tuned in yesterday because there wasn't a guest co-host so it seemed like it might be a safer episode to tune into and didn't realize it was pre-taped until I started watching. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Yeah, it seemed like the guest was only on because Whoopi likes the show.  

Yeah, I think Whoopi has a hand in booking some guests and this is probably a good example.  Whenever she over-the-top gushes over someone I've never heard of, I figure she made a request for that particular celebrity.  And I guess the show complies with her requests now and then to keep her happy.

• Love 2

Interesting story how Colter auditioned for Law & Order but screwed it up. I wonder which role? He did end up appearing on Criminal Intent and SVU in 2007, and 2009, respectively. He was great as Lemond Bishop on The Good Wife, but his Luke Cage was just utterly flat for me.

37 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Interesting story how Colter auditioned for Law & Order but screwed it up. I wonder which role? He did end up appearing on Criminal Intent and SVU in 2007, and 2009, respectively. He was great as Lemond Bishop on The Good Wife, but his Luke Cage was just utterly flat for me.

Yeah I know him from the Good Wife.  He was fantastic as Lemond Bishop.  You knew he was a really bad guy but you couldn't help liking the guy.  At least I did. 

The show is so much less enjoyable with Whoopi  back.  Even when they are having a good discussion she will somehow derail it.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Yeah I know him from the Good Wife.  He was fantastic as Lemond Bishop.  You knew he was a really bad guy but you couldn't help liking the guy.  At least I did. 

The show is so much less enjoyable with Whoopi  back.  Even when they are having a good discussion she will somehow derail it.

Lemond Bishop, that's who he was. He was so good in that role. I don't follow the Marvel shows. I think I remember him as a poignant character in Million Dollar Baby, too.

Regarding the 'reunion'.  Color me underwhelmed.  While its always nice to see the band get back together...I dunno  maybe it was hyped TOO much and couldn't live up to it? It just looked like a group of women enjoying a cocktail after work and talking shop.

21 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I know, right? And she contradicted herself! First she said if it’s the day of and you get up in the morning and you don’t feel like it. But as the back and forth continued, she pivoted and said it’s after work, she just took the make up off, blah whine blah whine, and I was like, which is it? You suddenly feel like canceling that day or like a couple hours before?🤨🙄🙄🙄🙄

I loved Joy’s “So What?” “So What?” as Sunny kept bitching.

And what did Sunny mean that she learned about England colonizing everything it could when she lived there? I knew that as a kid! And she’s only a few years older than I am. I loved Whoopi shutting her down which her refusal to have anything positive to say about the milestone and how much the great grandkids were enjoying it.

Sunny is getting so tiresome.

yeah she is 

• Love 1
(edited)

As an observer from Canada, my take on what Tara was trying to say, while Whoopi & Sunny were yelling to drown out her view, was that if the Dems don't listen or think strategically and choose the wrong first steps toward gun control, the bills will be voted down in the House and go nowhere and school shootings will continue for another 20+ years. Tara doesn't want that to happen either. If they are going to bring a Republican on the show, why not ask her what Repubs might be willing to negotiate on, like raising the buying age to 21, background checks, etc.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 3

Friday - Sunny's issue with England colonizing - I hope she feels the same way about Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, Italy, and so on. Maybe they didn't all focus on Africa, but they all colonized as much as they could wherever they went. If she isn't equally tough on those countries (and many others) then she's being kind of hypocritical. If she only cares because African people were involved, then, she's being hypocritical. If you hate slavery, hate ALL slavery, hate ALL efforts to make the native population subservient, otherwise, then really you are just as biased as the people you criticize. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Friday - Sunny's issue with England colonizing - I hope she feels the same way about Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, Italy, and so on. Maybe they didn't all focus on Africa, but they all colonized as much as they could wherever they went. If she isn't equally tough on those countries (and many others) then she's being kind of hypocritical. If she only cares because African people were involved, then, she's being hypocritical. If you hate slavery, hate ALL slavery, hate ALL efforts to make the native population subservient, otherwise, then really you are just as biased as the people you criticize. 

I agree, but those counties that still have royalty aren't as romanticized in the US media as British royalty is.