Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Part I

Message added by formerlyfreedom,

This is the episode topic for the first episode of Obi-Wan Kenobi. If you want to deep dive on the Star Wars universe, please head to this topic. Posts that are completely off topic from the episode may be removed. Thank you!

• Start Topic

I watched it again and forgot how much I enjoyed the scene between Obi-Wan and Teeka the Jawa. How badly must Obi-Wan stink that a Jawa tells him he should've brought him soap as well, lol. I also laughed at Teeka trying to sell the circuit board he stole from him back to Obi-Wan, and then saying that cleaning it would cost extra. Those Jawa's have no shame. That's the kind of humor that works for me, not the childish stuff from the PT. 

In that same scene I caught a line of dialogue that was repeated from the OT: "The Jedi are all but extinct" - said by Obi-Wan here and by Tarkin in ANH. 

Now that we finally get to see Breha Organa I am reminded of something I've often wondered: why is Leia a princess? Bail is never referred to as a prince or king, so is it Breha who's royalty? I kind of got that impression in this episode mainly because of how Breha and her family (especially the snobby nephew/cousin) carried themselves. I know Leia being a princess was never addressed in the movies, so maybe it was addressed in the novels?

2 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I know this takes place 10 years after Revenge of the Sith, so probably within a year or two of Solo

Yikes, this makes the age difference between Leia and Han even more pronounced and rather gross because now I'm picturing Vivien's Leia with Alden's Han. 

• Love 4
(edited)
22 minutes ago, bunnyblue said:

Yikes, this makes the age difference between Leia and Han even more pronounced and rather gross because now I'm picturing Vivien's Leia with Alden's Han. 

Someone in his late teens or early 20s having any kind of romantic relationship or even thoughts about someone ten is beyond icky and wrong. That kind of relationship is unacceptable on pretty much any and every level imaginable. However, by the time the characters actually have a relationship, she's in her late teens or early 20s and he's in his late 20s or early 30s, so it's a big age difference and one that might raise a few eyebrows, but isn't exactly wrong. Also, both people are legal consenting adults from the moment they met. (If they are a couple you like, I'm trying to give you a way to still like the couple without feeling gross or horrible).  

To answer your question 

22 minutes ago, bunnyblue said:

is it Breha who's royalty?

according to Wookieepedia the answer is yes. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Someone in his late teens or early 20s having any kind of romantic relationship or even thoughts about someone ten is beyond icky and wrong.

Gender swap = Padme & Anakin

Padme and Anakin was creepy.    They really should have made him older when they met.

I believe Luke was established as 16 in A New Hope.   Which makes Leia also 16 when she first met Han.   So at most she was 18 - 20 at the time of the "I know" scene.   Han was in his late 20s.   So still a little creepy.    

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/27/2022 at 9:52 AM, Egg McMuffin said:

Tatooine is not a place I’d like to live. Now, Alderaan, on the other hand, would be great (except for the explosion part).

Except for it getting blown up by the Death Star.  Oh, you said that.  Never mind

As for ages, I think Luke (& therefore Leia) was about 18 in the “first” Star Wars.   (It kills me to call it ANH as I first saw it in movie theaters—more than once, I might add—before it had an episode # & title.  Aka, I’m old.)

Edited by Hybiscus
  • Love 4
(edited)

Google is your friend. Leia (and therefore also Luke) was 19 in ANH, and 22 three years later in ESB when the romantic relationship started between Han and Leia. Age difference is not a factor in whether a romantic relationship between two consenting adults is creepy or not, the relationship dynamic is.  But I don't think that's related to this series since this Leia won't consider a romantic relationship with Han for another 12 years. 

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, paigow said:

Gender swap = Padme & Anakin

I don't think it works as a gender swap at all. There's only a five year age difference between them, which is very different than the age difference being over a decade.  

• Love 4
On 5/29/2022 at 8:52 AM, Sarah 103 said:

I don't think it works as a gender swap at all. There's only a five year age difference between them, which is very different than the age difference being over a decade.  

Exactly this. People go by the age difference between Jake Lloyd and Natalie Portman (8 years) rather than the difference between the characters. If they had cast a different actress to play Padme in Phantom Menace rather than having Natalie play her people wouldn’t say a thing about the age difference. Particularly since Natalie and Hayden are only a year apart. 

On 5/29/2022 at 6:27 AM, merylinkid said:

I believe Luke was established as 16 in A New Hope.   Which makes Leia also 16 when she first met Han.   So at most she was 18 - 20 at the time of the "I know" scene.   Han was in his late 20s.   So still a little creepy.    

Leia was born in 19 BBY and, based on books published for Solo, Han was born in 32 BBY. A New Hope was set in 0 ABY and Empire was 3 years laters. So Leia was ~22 during the “I know” scene and Han was ~35. 

For comparison, Anakin and Padme were 19 and 24 at their wedding. 

The real problem with Padme and Mannequin is that they had zero chemistry. I blame Hayden Christiansen for that more than Natalie Portman, because he didn’t have chemistry with anyone. I wish I had believed more in the undying love between Padme and Anakin and the brotherly chemistry between Anakin and Obi Wan. It would have made a significant difference in the prequels. 

• Love 6
On 5/27/2022 at 1:41 PM, angora said:

Also, Leia frickin' Organa has been giving captors what for since day ONE. Love it.

Yeah, me, too. The actress is a real find.

On 5/27/2022 at 2:19 PM, RedElf said:

Damn, Third Sister is a badass.  Wouldn't want to cross her.

I can't figure out why Third Sister seems to take the existence of the Jedi as such a personal affront. And she's using a lightsaber -- a Jedi washout?

On 5/27/2022 at 9:43 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I think the Third Sister was the Youngling in the flashback. Calling it now.

Until I read your comment, this had not even occurred to me -- truly. But it makes perfect sense. I'd like a seat at your table.

I was skeptical about this show, or the need for this show. But I'm sold.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I loved the first episode. Little Leia was so cute and so Leia. Of course she's precocious, feisty, and awesome. I loved her takedown of her cousin. I love Bail reassuring Leia that she is an Organa in everyway. I love Bail and Leia's relationship. Very cute and he seems very amused by everything she does. I like her relationship with her mother. Breha knowing exactly where Leia had ran off too. Telling her that she would miss her when Leia said no one would miss her if she didn't got to the event. I loved that Breha knew exactly what Leia was doing when she hugged her mother.

My heart breaks for poor Obi Wan. It makes sense that he's reclusive, has PTSD and to afraid to go after rescue Leia. Growing the destruction and slaughter of almost everyone and everything he knew, having to fight and kill his best friend who he trained. Wanting to help on Tatooine but knows he can't because it would reveal he's a Jedi just like what happened it the cantina. I liked Bail showing up to talk to Obi Wan in person and pointing out that everyone made mistakes. He's exactly right. It can't be easy for Bail to work in the Senate and see all the horrible crap that's being done and there's not much he can do. 

I liked Owen. I can see why he doesn't want Obi Wan around or to train Luke. He doesn't want what happened to Anakin to happen to Luke. It reminded me of Obi Wan saying to Luke in ANH that Owen thought Anakin should have stayed home and didn't get involved. He is wrong that Obi Wan only cares about Luke's abilities. He would care about Luke even if he had no Jedi abilities he's his former best friend's son and son of another really good friend. I don't think if Reva read Owen's mind she would discover Luke. Owen comes off pretty tough and raising a force sensitive boy for 10 years. He would have learned by this point to not give away anything about Luke having the Force. Especially given how much he does not want Luke to become a Jedi.

I liked Reva. She was tough and smart. A little reckless but definitely good at putting the fear into people. Her plot was very smart. I like the Grand Inquisitor too. Although I'm not sure why he thinks Obi Wan's dead given his reputation but probably figures he would have revealed himself at some point to help someone. I do wonder if she was one of the Padawans we saw in the beginning of the episode.

I laughed so hard when Obi Wan remarked to the Jawa that they stole his part to sell back to him and they could at least clean it. Of course the Jawas would do that. It's also so...Tatooine. I loved the Jawa wasn't even phased saying that would cost extra. Of course it was. Never change Jawas.

I felt bad for the Jedi that was killed. Obi Wan's right he had to hide but it's also hard for a Jedi not to help. Plus, he doesn't know about the plan for Luke (and Leia) and Obi Wan couldn't say anything to give him any hope.

I like seeing more of Alderaan.

• Love 11
(edited)

That was … boring. The first 10 minutes were decent… until the ooooo scary inquisitors basically watched while the young Jedi ran away. Then it was kiddie time, with both Luke and Leia. That forest chase scene was awful. McGregor classes this up, but he is surrounded by weak material. “The Jedi will hunt himself” was a dumb line. I like the thought, as I did at the opening in the saloon, but just poor writing. 

Also, why are all the helmets in Star Wars so ridiculous looking? Penises all.

The actor who played Owen was a nice match to the movies. And they sure hit all the diversity cues with casting overall.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 2

The way Obi-Wan was (re)introduced here is similar to the introduction of Rey in The Force Awakens -- shows him at work, getting paid, commuting home, making dinner, then sitting outside the home to eat. I don't think there's any deeper meaning to this. It's just your basic "ordinary world" sequence to show the character's normal life before things change, but I found it amusing when he sat out in front with his dinner and I thought "just like Rey!"

I think the toy Obi-Wan tried to leave for Luke was the one Luke was playing with while he was fixing up Artoo and Threepio in Ep 4. Or else Owen went and bought him a new one after bringing that one back to Obi-Wan, like "If anyone's going to buy him toys, it'll be me."

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
On 5/27/2022 at 10:37 AM, sashabear21 said:

Also I never knew I really needed to see Flea in Star Wars show, but yeah. 

I actually yelled at the TV...that's Flea! I had no idea he was in the show.

I knew we had young Luke from the trailer, I didn't know we'd get young Leia. Was the young girl they dressed up as the princess Winter? I wasn't sure if she was Canon or Stuck in Legends.

This episode was beautiful,  watching Obi Wan go through his existence denying all aspects of being a Jedi while trying to watch over Luke from afar was tragic. I just about cried when Obi-Wan dug up the lightsabers, seeing his and Anakin's buried together just makes me so sad.

I now need a Star Wars series where Force Ghost Obi-Wan, Anakin, Yoda and Qui-Jon (disembodied) are reunited watching over Luke, Leia and Ahsoka. 🥰

• Love 7
On 5/29/2022 at 2:17 AM, bunnyblue said:

Now that we finally get to see Breha Organa I am reminded of something I've often wondered: why is Leia a princess? Bail is never referred to as a prince or king, so is it Breha who's royalty?

From Courtship of Princess Leia, Breha was the Queen. 

18 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

What's funny for me, is Anakin is Clone Wars!Anakin. I don't even think of Christiansen first. Even in the opening, I was like, 'oh yeah. Him.'

It's a weird dichotomy,  when I think of Anakin it's Lanter because I really didn't like movie Anakin, especially in Episode II. 

18 hours ago, Sandman said:

can't figure out why Third Sister seems to take the existence of the Jedi as such a personal affront. And she's using a lightsaber -- a Jedi washout?

Inquisitors were all former Jedi. Since they showed us Order 66 (again) I can only assume she was capture and tortured in the temple or shortly after and blames Obi-Wan.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I can only assume she was capture and tortured in the temple or shortly after and blames Obi-Wan.

If she was actually there, then she saw all the other masters die... Adding Obi-Wan would not have changed the outcome

• Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, paigow said:

If she was actually there, then she saw all the other masters die... Adding Obi-Wan would not have changed the outcome

Oh I know but a young kid/padawan, tortured and turned to the dark side could easily fixate her anger on Obi-Wan...especially if she saw the message he sent out. Of course she could also be a power hungry dark force wielder who wants Obi-Wan so she can rise in the ranks but, they seem to lean towards it being personal.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 6

The Inquisitors hunt Jedi; it's what they do.   Vader is hunting Obi-Wan; if Third Sister brings him in, she will be highly favored. 

Also, her co-workers treat her like crap and belittle her.  She believes she is better than they are and she wants to show them up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
48 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

From Courtship of Princess Leia, Breha was the Queen. 

It's a weird dichotomy,  when I think of Anakin it's Lanter because I really didn't like movie Anakin, especially in Episode II. 

Inquisitors were all former Jedi. Since they showed us Order 66 (again) I can only assume she was capture and tortured in the temple or shortly after and blames Obi-Wan.

Breha is the Queen of Alderaan and Bail is the Prince Consort, along with being a senator in the Imperial Senate. He is addressed as "Your Highness" at the end of ROTS.

Edited by benteen
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
23 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

What's funny for me, is Anakin is Clone Wars!Anakin. I don't even think of Christiansen first. Even in the opening, I was like, 'oh yeah. Him.'

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Ottis said:

That was … boring. The first 10 minutes were decent… until the ooooo scary inquisitors basically watched while the young Jedi ran away. Then it was kiddie time, with both Luke and Leia. That forest chase scene was awful. McGregor classes this up, but he is surrounded by weak material. “The Jedi will hunt himself” was a dumb line. I like the thought, as I did at the opening in the saloon, but just poor writing. 

Also, why are all the helmets in Star Wars so ridiculous looking? Penises all.

The actor who played Owen was a nice match to the movies. And they sure hit all the diversity cues with casting overall.

Questions:

1. Why can’t they find Obi-wan? He was about 8 feet away and looks almost the same.

2. You have a little princess that wanders off and there are no guards or even nannies with her?

3. Why is the army not looking for her? Why is it only Obi-wan that can find her? She is a princess and pretty important.

• Love 1

Too bad Bail Organa didn’t hire a bounty hunter to get Leia back. Those guys get the little bio tracker device that points them in the right direction. Obi-Wan had to do detective work.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, arc said:

Too bad Bail Organa didn’t hire a bounty hunter to get Leia back.

Boba Fett is not in the Sarlacc pit yet... If Vader keeps losing Inquisitors, maybe Boba & Bossk will show up...

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

The way Obi-Wan was (re)introduced here is similar to the introduction of Rey in The Force Awakens -- shows him at work, getting paid, commuting home, making dinner, then sitting outside the home to eat. I don't think there's any deeper meaning to this. It's just your basic "ordinary world" sequence to show the character's normal life before things change, but I found it amusing when he sat out in front with his dinner and I thought "just like Rey!"

I think the toy Obi-Wan tried to leave for Luke was the one Luke was playing with while he was fixing up Artoo and Threepio in Ep 4. Or else Owen went and bought him a new one after bringing that one back to Obi-Wan, like "If anyone's going to buy him toys, it'll be me."

I liked it. It was nice to see what Obi Wan had been doing on Tatooine. Yeah he was a watching over Luke but that didn't take a lot of time. 

14 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I actually yelled at the TV...that's Flea! I had no idea he was in the show.

I knew we had young Luke from the trailer, I didn't know we'd get young Leia. Was the young girl they dressed up as the princess Winter? I wasn't sure if she was Canon or Stuck in Legends.

This episode was beautiful,  watching Obi Wan go through his existence denying all aspects of being a Jedi while trying to watch over Luke from afar was tragic. I just about cried when Obi-Wan dug up the lightsabers, seeing his and Anakin's buried together just makes me so sad.

I now need a Star Wars series where Force Ghost Obi-Wan, Anakin, Yoda and Qui-Jon (disembodied) are reunited watching over Luke, Leia and Ahsoka. 🥰

I was hoping that was Winter too. Everything with Obi Wan was so good and so sad. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, arc said:

Too bad Bail Organa didn’t hire a bounty hunter to get Leia back. Those guys get the little bio tracker device that points them in the right direction. Obi-Wan had to do detective work.

Maybe this is also the story to show why Vader starts using Bounty Hunters by the time of The Empire Strikes Back, instead of his terrible league of Inquisitors, who just seem to wander around, dramatically monologuing in the general vicinity of Jedi.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, qtpye said:

1. Why can’t they find Obi-wan? He was about 8 feet away and looks almost the same.

This made me remember something I always found laughable in the movies, and this series brought it up again. They had to hide baby Luke and Leia from the empire, so they placed Luke with his ... family? I mean, wouldn't that be the first place the bad guys would look? 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Ottis said:

I always found laughable in the movies, and this series brought it up again. They had to hide baby Luke and Leia from the empire, so they placed Luke with his ... family? I mean, wouldn't that be the first place the bad guys would look? 

I have a question. Why did they have to hide Luke and Leia in the first place? Obi-Wan thought Anakin was dead. Why does he think the Empire would have an interest in Luke and Leia? In case they exhibit force sensitivity? Is anyone even looking for them?

I was very glad with the recap at the beginning because I always zone out half-way through those prequel movies, so I don't remember much.

Do any of the inquisitors even know what Obi-Wan looks like?

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Ottis said:

This made me remember something I always found laughable in the movies, and this series brought it up again. They had to hide baby Luke and Leia from the empire, so they placed Luke with his ... family? I mean, wouldn't that be the first place the bad guys would look? 

I never had an issue with this. Tatooine is the one place Vader wouldn't look because his memories their are too painful. Plus, it's the equivalent of hiding in plain sight. Who would expect that?

The silly thing is not changing Luke's last name to Lars. Luke calls Owen and Beru uncle and aunt so they are not hiding that relationship. Lucas once said that Skywalker is like the equivalent of Johnson in the SW Universe...way to make your characters special there, George...

• Love 2
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

I have a question. Why did they have to hide Luke and Leia in the first place? Obi-Wan thought Anakin was dead. Why does he think the Empire would have an interest in Luke and Leia? In case they exhibit force sensitivity? Is anyone even looking for them?

Even with Anakin dead, Palpatine is smart enough to think that if he had kids, then they might be powerful if brought to the dark side. Sith are always training apprentices. We know Palpatine has Vader, but he would still try to apprentice Luke if he knew he was out there. Which he tried, in ROTJedi. 

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Even with Anakin dead, Palpatine is smart enough to think that if he had kids, then they might be powerful if brought to the dark side. Sith are always training apprentices. We know Palpatine has Vader, but he would still try to apprentice Luke if he knew he was out there. Which he tried, in ROTJedi. 

Yes, in RotS, they decide to hide the twins because of the threat Palpetine posed to them, and since Obi Wan assumed Anakin was dead, they knew Palpetine would actively be looking for a new apprentice. I'm sure it's covered in supplemental material somewhere, but I think it's interesting that even after he's turned, Anakin doesn't confide to Palepetine that he has a kid on the way. When he asks about Padme at the end of the movie, he doesn't ask whether the baby made it, which I think was his own subconscious way of protecting the child until he's confirmed their fate on his own.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

Anakin doesn't confide to Palepetine that he has a kid on the way.

Didn't he think that the kid died with her? Do I really have to try watching this movie? They're all so boring to me.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, supposebly said:

Didn't he think that the kid died with her? Do I really have to try watching this movie? They're all so boring to me.

Not sure if meant Star Wars movies in general or the prequel trilogy, but in my opinion Revenge of the Sith is the only decent movie of the prequel trilogy. If you like Star Wars, it's worth a try. 

22 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

We know Palpatine has Vader, but he would still try to apprentice Luke if he knew he was out there.

Yes, but no one even knows that there are any living children. No one is looking for them until someone catches Obi-Wan and reads his mind.  So, I don't worry too much about the somewhat lax approach to keeping them safe such as putting Luke with his family and Leia with a famous family. 

16 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

but in my opinion Revenge of the Sith is the only decent movie of the prequel trilogy. If you like Star Wars, it's worth a try. 

I'm sure that's true, I'm just never able to pay attention. I always start with the best intentions to watch the prequels and then I just get so very very bored somewhere half way through Attack of the Clones. So, I usually never get to Revenge of the Sith.

I'm not much of a fan anyway. I find the original movies nice enough if I can ignore my utter hatred of Harrison Ford and the terrible dialogue and questionable acting. I like the ideas of the prequels (and the Star Wars universe) but they're just so boring. The Jedi are presented as these wise men while they are sitting on their asses judging children and Obi-Wan does all their dirty work. And we are asked to think of them as the good guys. Very annoying. 

Still, I like this show so far. Better than the Mandelorian.

• Love 1

When "Vader" woke up and asked about Padme, he didn't think he had any children. He doesn't figure it out until after A New Hope and before Empire Strikes Back. By then, he's a full on Sith, so training his own son to take out Palpatine is the playbook basically. 

Given that Palpatine triggered Order 66 to take out existing Jedi, him looking for young, impressionable, powerful Force users to train to counter Vader is again the playbook. There's just not a lot of them around anymore. That's the whole cheat of the Rule of Two.  

Hiding the kids of the most powerful Jedi/Sith ever to wait until they matured seemed reasonable to me. 

What I think the prequels got wrong and what this high republic misses was casting aside the whole 'ronin' concept of the Jedi. They should have never had an 'Order' and all that. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Given that Palpatine triggered Order 66 to take out existing Jedi, him looking for young, impressionable, powerful Force users to train to counter Vader is again the playbook. There's just not a lot of them around anymore. That's the whole cheat of the Rule of Two.  

The Rule of Two is so stupid both in-universe and as a narrative device. It directly leads to needing to create off-brand Sith like the Inquisitorius just so the franchise can have more evil Force users while still technically adhering to the Rule of Two.

• Love 3

My expectations were pretty low because I'm pretty tired of Star Wars expanding existing stories, and I am super tired of Tatooine, but that was actually pretty good. It helps that Ewan McGregor is a great actor, and Jimmy Smits is solid too.

Like others have said they pretty much nailed the casting and character of young Leia. Which is extra impressive since of the two kids Leia would be way hard to cast and write than Luke. Wide eyed farmboy with big dreams would be super easy by comparison. 

The only thing that bugged is why didn't that Jedi at the tavern just use the force to mess up the Inquisitors the minute they started asking about him. Like throw them across town and then take off.

On 5/27/2022 at 10:52 AM, Egg McMuffin said:

I never thought he’d end up as a butcher.

Well he sliced up and flambeed Anakin pretty good.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

So did Nari the Jedi commit suicide?  Because the Inquisitors were gone by the time he was shown hanging in the town square.  The timing was bizarre.

Also, yes, they should have called the boy Luke Lars.

I noticed on a rewatch - that when Ben finds a tall figure in a cloak in his cave - Ben is reacting to it as if if could be Anakin..  He suffering from awful PTSD and is probably seeing Anakin everywhere.  He's haunted.

• Love 4

I'm not usually big on prequels since you ultimately know what's going to happen, so there isn't much suspense.  I thought this episode was alright, though a tad slow and monotone.  The premise just felt very predictable, with the ex-hero lying low and giving up due to guilt.  I feel like I've watched that storyline too many times.  There wasn't much humor and the jokes (eg. soap) fell flat.  

The Third Sister villain was grating and irritating.  I hope the show doesn't try to make us sympathesize with her after seeing her cruelty, though I'm sure that will happen.  She is clearly meant to be one of the children at the beginning being attacked.

The show picked up a bit when it got to Leia, and I liked the relationship we saw with her adoptive father.  Though she was also kinda bratty running off.  They did a great job of casting the young actress.

The whole rescue mission doesn't really make me excited for the next episode.  Hopefully, the show will grow on me.  The production values are good.

On 5/30/2022 at 8:59 PM, qtpye said:

3. Why is the army not looking for her? Why is it only Obi-wan that can find her? She is a princess and pretty important.

They didn't want to bring attention to the fact that she was missing. They turned to Obi-wan because they figured he could save her quietly. The cousin made mention that she never left the planet. I think her parents were trying to keep her somewhat isolated in order to keep her safe.

• Useful 1