Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: Drop Shock

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Ten new participants have a chance to win $500,000 as they try their best to survive in one of Earth's harshest locations; the survivalists are forced to make quick decisions in the face of imminent weather challenges.

Season 9 premier date: May 26, 2022

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Liberty said:

We no longer get history channel on our streaming TV.  How can we watch this show?

I used to watch on the History website -- caught up on the old seasons there, and they used to have the new ones on a delay of about a day, if I recall correctly. Presume they'll do the same for the new season.

• Useful 3
6 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I love alone and can’t wait for this new season. I do hope it’s not like last season. 

They never had a chance!

It might be worse than last season.  Here's a little bit more from the History website (bolding mine):

Season 9 of The HISTORY® Channel’s hit survival series “Alone” delivers a fresh set of dangers and challenges for ten new participants. Equipped with just ten items of their choosing, the survivalists are dropped into a remote wilderness valley in Labrador, Canada. While documenting their experiences, each participant must survive in total isolation, with hopes of outlasting everyone else to claim the $500,000 prize. Not only must they endure hunger, loneliness, and the elements, but this season, they’ll become the hunted as they discover their location is situated deep in polar bear territory. No camera crews. No gimmicks. It is the ultimate test of human will.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

It might be worse than last season.  Here's a little bit more from the History website (bolding mine):

To me this takes away from true survivalist excitement. Building shelter, forging for food and battling loneliness. Unnecessary to add in killer animals.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

To me this takes away from true survivalist excitement. Building shelter, forging for food and battling loneliness. Unnecessary to add in killer animals.  

I agree.  Why do they always feel that they have to continually amp up the drama on reality shows even if they put people's lives at risk?

• Like 1
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Exactly.  That's the show I want to watch, who does better:  The hunker down, expend low energy, eat the mice and bugs that enter your shelter strategy vs the aggressive hunter/fisher type that tromps all over hell's half acre running traplines and shooting arrows into trees vs the forager/gatherer type that crawls across the countryside in search of wild onions, mushrooms, and roots and uses fish traps and gill nets for fishing.  Which shelter is better:  an energy sapping Taj Mahal of a log cabin vs a serviceable but much lower effort shack vs rolling up in a tarp under a tree.  Throw in a couple of genius camp life enhancing maker/inventors, a quirky (but not freakily so) personality or two, and some deep philosophizing about the nature of nature and I'm all in.

However, I think the real reason the producers like the drama from plopping the cast down in the middle of apex predator country comes down to money, money, money.  #1 the show gets more comment and media attention and buzz if people are talking about the drama and excitement of predator encounters so then they can charge more for advertising because of the comment, media attention and buzz.    #2 if the constant threat of apex predators gets to the cast and they lose their nerve, there will be tap-outs right and left (also good for the drama) and they'll get down to the sole survivor much more quickly and therefore will save a lot of money, money, money if they get to break production early.  They don't really have to worry about filling out a season's worth of content, they have 24/7 footage from all the cast that they can pad out the season with. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

Mo' polar bears, mo' problems.  I know the producers have to find new ways to get drama on this show, but putting your contestants in with the most savage of bears is pushing it.   Last year was plenty stressful with folks being dropped smack in bear country, and this is even more dangerous.   Do they even tell these people beforehand where they're dropping them off, or no forewarning at all that they're going to be right in the middle of a bear smorgasbord?

So far, I'm not sure who I'm rooting for, but that older guy who was bragging about his strength and experience, but then got drenched when he neglected to build any kind of shelter after seeing storm clouds rolling in... he's a dumbass and may need to have nature kick his ass and humble him again sooner than later.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 2

I looked it up and the filming time was Fall 2021 for this season.  And the temps are mid50s and some 60s so I am guessing it was probably September when they got dropped off.  Supposedly the polar bears don't show up in Labrador until late winter/early Spring.  Since the stated record stay for Alone is 102 days, that is still within early winter at the most (December 5th).  I would bet there weren't any polar bears around during the entire time, although the polar bears are becoming more numerous in this part of their range, so they could be acting outside norms.  They still gotta catch a ride on that ice to get there, though.....   

• Love 4

I liked the 57 year old lady, Karie Lee.  Don't think she can win though.  She's got the skills but I doubt that her body can hold up.  The other woman, Jessie Krebs, probably has a better chance. 

Then there's the guy who packed on 36 pounds for the trip, interesting strategy.  We'll see how it works for him.  

And there's a young guy, Jaques Turcott, we'll see if his youth is an advantage.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, patty1h said:

So far, I'm not sure who I'm rooting for, but that older guy who was bragging about his strength and experience, but then got drenched when he neglected to build any kind of shelter after seeing storm clouds rolling in... he's a dumbass and may need to have nature kick his ass and humble him again sooner than later.

Yes, I was liking him until he actually killed a squirrel and didn't have a fire (or an encampment) so he could quickly dress it and cook it.  Seemed like a backward way to do things . . . which he seems to recognize already.

First night and she sucked a worm in and out of her mouth!  Oh my.  I could have done without that!  I hope we don't see too many animals bleeding and skinned this season!

The young fellow seems on tap.  I like all of them. They have to really be something else to sign up for this show!

8 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Yes, I was liking him until he actually killed a squirrel and didn't have a fire (or an encampment) so he could quickly dress it and cook it.  Seemed like a backward way to do things . . . which he seems to recognize already.

Was he the one that ended up wandering back to where he was dropped off at to build a shelter?

45 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

First night and she sucked a worm in and out of her mouth! 

I could be wrong on this, I just got the impression that was a clip from her audition video.  I don't know why I think that, it just seems like something someone would put in.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Rebky said:

I have an early crush on Igor.  When I saw his name, I immediately said out loud, "Do you know a young doctor by the name of Fronkensteen??"

I was thinking, oh it’s “Eye-Gore”, ha ha.  
I’m rooting for one of the women to make it to the end.  I think Jessie  - the former SERE (?) instructor has a better chance.  

Anyone here watch Naked and Afraid?  Watching Karie when she shot the grouse and how she quietly celebrated made me think she’s the polar opposite, anti Jeff (who has a habit of yelling each time he makes a catch, no matter how many times he’s done it to the annoyance of everyone else)

I thought Juan Pablo’s use of the cans for a stove/chimney was pretty clever.  Hope it works well for him. 

It looks like it’s still pretty “warm” there if no one is stressing about building a fire yet unless they each brought some toasty clothes with them.  

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

I was thinking, oh it’s “Eye-Gore”, ha ha.  
I’m rooting for one of the women to make it to the end.  I think Jessie  - the former SERE (?) instructor has a better chance.  

Anyone here watch Naked and Afraid?  Watching Karie when she shot the grouse and how she quietly celebrated made me think she’s the polar opposite, anti Jeff (who has a habit of yelling each time he makes a catch, no matter how many times he’s done it to the annoyance of everyone else)

I thought Juan Pablo’s use of the cans for a stove/chimney was pretty clever.  Hope it works well for him. 

It looks like it’s still pretty “warm” there if no one is stressing about building a fire yet unless they each brought some toasty clothes with them.  

Juan is going to be frozen out!  Isn't he the one depending on that tarp tent and the can heater?

• Love 2

Yay! Didn't realize the new season was even on tap until I found this episode on the DVR.

So, statistically, the show always highlights the eventual winner in the first episode. They covered six of them, so that means we can probably count Adam, Terry, Tom and Teimojin out of the running. 

I, too, would like to see a woman win for a change. I think Karie Lee is a little too "out there" but Jessie looks like she's got a decent chance. Former Air Force wilderness trainer, wow. 

Lots of bow hunters and successful kills already, impressive.

Out of the six that were featured, my bet goes towards Benji as the eventual winner. It may be foreshadowing that he's documenting his weight loss. Makes me think we'll see it through to the end. Don't know why they would have included that if he's out early.

Juan Pablo's can chimney and oven was damned impressive - I couldn't figure out how he connected them all together. I thought it was strange they didn't say what he did for a living, though. Maybe nothing? I guess he might just live on odd jobs here and there. 

There's a chyron on the show that says if you want to see what items each contestant brought go to History.com. But I can't find that info anywhere - all I can find is the episode itself. Anyone have a link?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Rebky said:

I have an early crush on Igor.  When I saw his name, I immediately said out loud, "Do you know a young doctor by the name of Fronkensteen??"

My husband and I pretty much simultaneously said "It's EYE-gor!"

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
51 minutes ago, RunningMarket said:

So awesome to meet fellow Young Frankenstein fans!! Here is the entire quote from IMdB:

Igor: Dr. Frankenstein...

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: "Fronkensteen."

Igor: You're putting me on.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No, it's pronounced "Fronkensteen."

Igor: Do you also say "Froaderick"?

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No... "Frederick."

Igor: Well, why isn't it "Froaderick Fronkensteen"?

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: It isn't; it's "Frederick Fronkensteen."

Igor: I see.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: You must be Igor.

[He pronounces it ee-gor]

Igor: No, it's pronounced "eye-gor."

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: But they told me it was "ee-gor."

Igor: Well, they were wrong then, weren't they?"

I can still clearly see Marty Feldman's bug-eyed response!! 😆

Edited by Rebky
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

This is the gear list they can choose from for this season...if you go to the menu above that and choose "cast," you can click on each individual person to see what they brought.

edited to add: Two people bringing salt looks like the only thing vaguely out of the norm from past seasons...

Edited by tljgator
salt lick -- it's what's for dinner
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

It looks like they got a really beautiful spot with a lot of opportunities for game.  When I heard Labrador and polar bears I was thinking it would be mostly snow.

I was not thrilled by the young guy finding the leg trap.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

It looks like they got a really beautiful spot with a lot of opportunities for game.  When I heard Labrador and polar bears I was thinking it would be mostly snow.

I expect it will be mostly snow before too long. Hopefully more game than in past seasons, though, if the first episode is any indication.

This is the gear list they can choose from for this season...if you go to the menu above that and choose "cast," you can click on each individual person to see what they brought.

Thanks, that's very helpful. So apparently Juan Pablo is an "outdoor professional." That's . . . vague. He does seem super skilled though, he's definitely a top contender. 

It looks like most of them all brought the same things with them: ax, ferro rod, sleeping bag, bow and arrow, etc. Only two of them brought "emergency rations." Which I didn't even know was a choice. Seems smart.

I'm pretty impressed with their skills in general so far, although skills are only part of what they need to succeed on this show.  It also requires a combination of luck, perseverance, perceptiveness and good judgment too. 

It really comes down to environment, too. Even the most skilled survivalist or "primitive living" expert needs sustenance. If there are no food sources, they cannot survive. Skill, perseverance and good judgment won't conjure fish, game or vegetation. I really hope they picked a better environment this season because it always ends up the same - a contest of who can last the longest without any nourishment.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

LOL, same here with me and my husband!  Of course a litany of Young Frankenstein quotes ensued.

He is one of the better looking guys of all time on this show.  Of course that means that either I'll end up not liking him or he'll tap out early.  I hope not, for a change.

I'm pretty impressed with their skills in general so far, although skills are only part of what they need to succeed on this show.  It also requires a combination of luck, perseverance, perceptiveness and good judgment too.  So far a few of them are worrying me in that regard, but it's too soon to tell yet.  I don't want to utter any words I may have to eat later.  We'll see if my first impressions hold.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Yeah No said:

He is one of the better looking guys of all time on this show.  Of course that means that either I'll end up not liking him or he'll tap out early.  I hope not, for a change.

Igor is my favorite so far.  Of course, that could easily change for any number of reasons.  

One of them said that there are only three animals that will attack humans: polar bears, lions and ???  I couldn't make out what the third one was.  I'm guessing maybe sharks or other humans.  Did anyone catch that?

I was nervous all last season because of the bears.  Looks like more of same.  I can't tell the women apart yet but the one who thought she heard a bear seemed rather blasé about it.  I don't know if she's just very confident or foolish.  

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, mlp said:

One of them said that there are only three animals that will attack humans: polar bears, lions and ???  I couldn't make out what the third one was.  I'm guessing maybe sharks or other humans.  Did anyone catch that?

I believe that what he said was that there are only three animals that hunt humans:  polar bears, lions, and other humans.

• Love 7

And now it's clear why they don't film in the summer.  If the black flies are this bad in September, they'd be deadly in July.

I doubt they'll see any polar bears or production would be hyping it up the wazoo.

When that woman was showing off all the bites from the black flies, it made me think of a Naked and Afraid episode where someone tapped out early due to being attacked by mosquitos.    Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk. ;)

• Love 2

I'm not even trying to learn their names yet.  Give me a couple more episodes.

Lots of people from colder climates this time.  A couple each from Alaska and Canada.  I would think they would have a slight advantage, as long as they don't lose their shit (or their weight).

Salt is an odd choice, but I can understand it.  As long as you don't over salt the food.

• Love 2
On 5/28/2022 at 9:23 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Does anyone know if they still have the 100 day minimum in order to win the money?

I doubt it.  I think that was just the special rule for last season, if you lasted 100 days you won.  One of the guys said that he wanted to break the record and go 102 days, so it seems that rule has been eliminated, or at least altered.  

21 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I suspect the salt is in hopes of catching enough fish or game that it will be necessary to help preserve the meat.  

Though it will help make wild onion stew tastier as well!  

I recall in the past they gave them spice packages to make the food taste better.  But salt is good for preserving too.  According to the list tljgator linked to, among the items they could choose from were a three lb. block of salt, or 2/3 lb. each of rice, sugar, and salt.

• Love 1

From the previews it appears the standard “Hey bear!” is a requirement for polar bears as well. Good to know. 

Adam is from my home state so I went and read his History bio. It appears he’s spent quite a bit of time alone doing solo sailing. I wonder if that is mentally comparable. Also he’s gone all over the world doing all types of things and now I believe I’m officially a lump. I haven’t traveled more than 100 miles in 10 years. Can I get a do-over? 

I still find this show almost peaceful compared to other TV offerings. It’s not quite as quiet as the first season but it’s still quieter than just about anything else I watch. If they’d go back to less dramatic music I’d appreciate it. 

• Love 1

So I just have an observation I guess and want to see what everyone else thinks on it I've been watching and re watching all of the alone season and the first couple of season seem really easy with not much effort (save a few guys) put into shelters and really living in the wilderness instead it seems most are in the mindset of "good enough for survival" from what I'm seeing the winners are typically the people that really go out there to live indefinitely not just survive for a while not to mention it seems like there are a lot of really simple mistakes being made throughout all of the seasons like how they handle knives and saws misplacing key equipment like Ferro rods and using the axes/hatches in dangerous manner like holding the log while splitting it things that were absolutely drilled into me as a kid in boyscouts that you would imagine would be second nature for these "trained survival experts" I'm not saying it isn't hard or mentally exhausting but it seems like at least half the contestants in every season are just some Joe smo who's had some outdoor training/experience and I would like to see a season where maybe after they select the 10 people they spend even a month or two together with real survival experts in the environment they will eventually survive in learning and honing in skills for that specific environment and see how that might change things 

11 hours ago, ramble said:

I still find this show almost peaceful compared to other TV offerings. It’s not quite as quiet as the first season but it’s still quieter than just about anything else I watch. If they’d go back to less dramatic music I’d appreciate it. 

It seem to me that if they had NO music at all, it would enhance the viewers' sensations of just how quiet it is when you are ALONE.

• Love 6

Still introducing survivalist on board this season.

I was surprised a doctor signed up.  Their hands are everything.

I really do enjoy this show.  I have a grandson with a sustainable living bachelor's degree.  He spent half a college year sleeping in a hammock in a tree in Hawaii!     

I spent a lot of my childhood playing with my friends in the woods!       

• Love 1
On 5/27/2022 at 1:32 PM, patty1h said:

Mo' polar bears, mo' problems.  I know the producers have to find new ways to get drama on this show, but putting your contestants in with the most savage of bears is pushing it.

I am finally glad they finally put them in black fly country!!  Now that can cause some drama!! These people can probably survive the bears but what about the black flies?  I really want to see someone survive a summer with black flies and mosquites!!!

• LOL 3
On 5/29/2022 at 9:21 PM, madmax said:

I'm not even trying to learn their names yet.  Give me a couple more episodes.

Finally this year I decided to write the names down and a descriptor for each person so i can keep track as I watch. 

• Useful 1
23 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Finally this year I decided to write the names down and a descriptor for each person so i can keep track as I watch. 

I just open up a webpage that lists the cast's names, photos and a brief bio on them to refer to until I get to know them.

On 5/27/2022 at 2:12 PM, rmontro said:

I liked the 57 year old lady, Karie Lee.  Don't think she can win though.  She's got the skills but I doubt that her body can hold up.  The other woman, Jessie Krebs, probably has a better chance. 

Then there's the guy who packed on 36 pounds for the trip, interesting strategy.  We'll see how it works for him.  

And there's a young guy, Jaques Turcott, we'll see if his youth is an advantage.

On 5/27/2022 at 2:51 PM, Rebky said:

Igor is very good-looking.

I notice that most of them look a little pudgy for rugged outdoor people and that probably means they all packed on the pounds before starting the challenge, which is smart.

It is nice to start off with 2 women that look like they might weigh more than 95 pounds.

However, no one is particularly big and those extra pounds come off fast on this show.