Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Catch a Few Fish

• Start Topic

Season Finale

In a struggle between head and heart, final resolutions are made as Jenny works to find Travis before he reaches a dangerous point of no return; meanwhile, Ren and Jag find a new familial bond and decide together how to handle their father now that he’s crossed a serious line. After receiving a startling surprise from Scarlett, Cassie changes the course of her quest for justice forever. Later, with Tubb out of commission for the time being, a new sheriff comes to town; and after getting fully acquainted with Cassie and Jenny, it seems like he may just stick around for a while.

Original Airdate: THURSDAY, May 19, 2022   (10:01-11:00 p.m. EST), on ABC.

Season 3 will be moving to a new night, Wednesday at 10 PM, on ABC.
162922_8769.jpg
162922_8859.jpg

• Useful 1

I tried watching this show when it first dropped, but it didn't grab me.  I'm back because of Mr. Ackles, and my being a 15 year SPN fan.  I've always wanted to see him in a Kevlar vest for... personal reasons, and him joining the show puts that in the realm of possibility, him being in law enforcement and all that.  A girl can dream.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

Not only does a criminal handcuffed to a bed not have a police guard, the hospital staff ignores all the alarms going off.

Par for the course for the writers on this show.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

Well, a lot happened at least, although I was surprise by the small bodycount here: especially compared to last season's deaths in the final episodes.

Looks like Alicia was actually right with her premonition as Veer does die at the hands of an understandably vengeful Jag (after he pretty much got the shit kicked out of him by Travis.)  But it looks like Ren might have been the one to orchestrate it, so in the end, Veer fucked up by pissing off both of his kids.  This is why it pays to be a supportive parent!  And since this show has twisted my mind so much, I might have even given a slight aww when Ren and Jag said they loved one another and had a nice sibling hug.  Yes, they are both criminals; and I'm pretty sure Ren in particular is a sociopath; but I'm glad those crazy kids at least are on the same page now!

Those documents Alicia made Veer sign where significant after-all, but it was because she was working her own angle: making herself his beneficiary, so that Ren would be force to buy her out.  I wonder if that was always her plan: never got the sense she ever really cared about Veer.  Looks like she's zipping off to London now (after warning Tonya about what is to come), but I wouldn't be surprised if she shows back up at some point.  They wouldn't just toss away a perfectly good Constance Zimmer, right?!

More potential exists for some regulars, as Travis is off (thanks to an assist from Jenny) to try and find his former C.I./lover who might not be totally dead after-all, while Scarlet dumps Phoebe off (along with the hard drive) at Cassie's and is now going to continue to be on the run from the Syndicate.  But, again, I wouldn't be surprised if both of them factor back in at some point.

And, of course, the big story is that freaking Jensen Ackles arrives as Beau Arlen: a former cop from Texas who is now the new sheriff of Big Sky county!  Sure, he might have some questionable views about gender roles (assuming Cassie wouldn't know anything about cars, calling Jenny "darling"), but he's certainly got that classic Ackles charm!  Still can't believe they got him here; and as a regular none the less; but I'm optimistic that he will be able to give this show a much needed jolt.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: this show really needs to have Jenny and Cassie in more scenes together.  Katheryn Winnick and Kylie Bunbury actually work very well together, but the characters keep getting separated for whatever reason.

And so ends another season of Big Sky.  Batshit insane some of the time, simply inept at others, and yet I won't even pretend I won't keep watching.  If nothing else, this season gets a gold star for getting Janina Gavankar to play against type and be one of the highlights of this season by far.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 10
59 minutes ago, patty1h said:

I tried watching this show when it first dropped, but it didn't grab me.  I'm back because of Mr. Ackles, and my being a 15 year SPN fan.  I've always wanted to see him in a Kevlar vest for... personal reasons, and him joining the show puts that in the realm of possibility, him being in law enforcement and all that.  A girl can dream.

His looks outshine the sun as was proven in that one camera shot when he was checking on the father and then, with just a tilt of his head, sent Jenny to the truck with Travis.

I'm checking this show out because of Mr. Ackles too.

For me, as an actor, he has the gift of elevating everyone who happens to enter his sphere.

It's helpful that I'm liking the two female leads well enough, too-just like the new sheriff, I guess.

I'm hoping they will expand some on his character more in the coming season.

50 minutes ago, Msample said:

Not only does a criminal handcuffed to a bed not have a police guard, the hospital staff ignores all the alarms going off.

Yeah, that was bad. 

• Love 7

I couldn't believe that this was the season finale because it didn't seem like a season finale. 

.  Even though Jenny and Cassie are not likeable characters, I actually liked them in this episode.  Cassie and Lindor are great together and Jenny didn't come across as "muy chingona" which is slang for " real tough" in Spanish, as she's had in most episodes.

.  My favorite character by far is Ren.  Golly, she's gorgeous!!

.  I always enjoy a show with Constance Zimmer in it.  I hope she makes an appearance again.

.  Jensen Ackles being a regular on the show should give the show a boost.  I'll be waiting for him to somehow throw in a Supernatural "Easter Egg" lol!

.  I hope Jeri is gone.  Lindor made the right choice in Cassie! 

• Love 4

I caught up on this show when I found out Jensen Ackles was cast, and he's a great actor, but I did know a bit about it because first the big pilot episode shocker with Ryan Phillipe's character and also because I know Katheryn Winnick from Vikings, so it was on my radar a little bit I just hadn't watched.

I've actually enjoyed it quite a bit though yeah it does have a bit more than it's share of headscratchers(such as in this episode Veer is in the hospital and Jag is able to just walk into his room smother him, alarms going off all the place and NO one comes running because geez a guy is flatlining!!)

But I love the two leading ladies, love their friendship and they are both so beautiful.  New sheriff Beau Arlen certainly fits in well in that regard(and he fits his name as well:)) AND in terms of chemistry as well. he's got great chemistry with both of them, however the show chooses to use that next season.  Very easy and natural fit, they could choose to use that romantically or could just leave him a friend(though with this show I kind of expect he'll end up not being such a good guy so am viewing him with suspicion despite how amicable and charming he, or maybe because of it? ) and it would work either way.  I did enjoy Beau's competence when it came to throat punching. Ren's expression kind of cracked me up when Danno(is that it? I keep forgetting his name, the guy who is always like "Can I kill 'em? Can I? Can I?") went down.

I agree with whoever said above they should have Jenny and Cassie work together more. I mean I do understand Jenny is back to being a cop and they are kind of splitting their resources for best use but still...they should be together more. 

I wonder if they made this episode sort of low key because they weren't sure they were being renewed? So they wrapped up some lose ends, esp on the personal side of it, ended it with Jenny and Cassie hanging out together at the bard with the handsome Texas charmer :)   but left the cases open ended so if they were picked up it would be easy to go one.  Either way, I enjoyed it and I'm interested in the already existing characters and stories as well as Jensen Ackles new character who is they did give some intriguing hints with(which again can go either way so we'll see where he ends up LOL)

• Love 11
18 hours ago, Msample said:

That had me growling.  As one who recently spent three nights in the hospital after ankle surgery, so nothing particularly serious/dangerous, if I even rolled over at night and accidentally leaned on my oxygen line, someone came right in to check on me, even with short-staffing issues.  

My other question has to do with the fact that Jenny apparently took Travis off to deliver him (somewhere?) for attempted murder, and he never shows up and no one ever mentions it?  (Other than Beau saying he thought she might do something...)  Isn't there such a thing as chain of custody or even freaking paperwork if you lose a prisoner?  

Yes, I'm another Supernatural fan who decided to watch.  I'm not sure about the writing on the show, but I do like (most of) the characters, and Ackles is always worth watching so I guess I'll keep going for a while.  

15 hours ago, rr2911 said:

Jensen Ackles being a regular on the show should give the show a boost.  I'll be waiting for him to somehow throw in a Supernatural "Easter Egg" lol!

Well, they did have him saying Dean's catchphrase "sonofabitch" several times.  

• Love 1
23 hours ago, rr2911 said:

.  Jensen Ackles being a regular on the show should give the show a boost.  I'll be waiting for him to somehow throw in a Supernatural "Easter Egg" lol!

8 hours ago, ahrtee said:

Well, they did have him saying Dean's catchphrase "sonofabitch" several times.  

I felt like the writers did their homework. In addition to "sonofabitch" they also set up Jensen's first appearance well -- with him sliding out from underneath a car -- something Supernatural fans have seen his Dean do countless times. And it was funny (and a good character distinction) that his character, unlike Dean, is not mechanical. Since Ackles is a Texan, it was a nice touch that Beau Arlen hails from Texas, too.

I've been watching Big Sky since the beginning. I loved Katheryn Winnick on Vikings, so I checked it out. It was wearing on me, though. I figured season two might be my last season. It's not Winnick and Bunbury. They're great, but the writing just hasn't been up to snuff. In fact I think it got worse from season one to season two. However, I'll probably keep watching while Ackles is on. He's so good.

• Love 7

I love Brian Geraghty and John Carroll Lynch, but I thought their stories should have fully ended in season one. Bringing back Ronald, and bringing Lynch back as Rick's brother, Wolf, made the story feel stuck to me.

• Love 9
16 hours ago, General Days said:

I felt like the writers did their homework. In addition to "sonofabitch" they also set up Jensen's first appearance well -- with him sliding out from underneath a car -- something Supernatural fans have seen his Dean do countless times. And it was funny (and a good character distinction) that his character, unlike Dean, is not mechanical. Since Ackles is a Texan, it was a nice touch that Beau Arlen hails from Texas, too.

I've been watching Big Sky since the beginning. I loved Katheryn Winnick on Vikings, so I checked it out. It was wearing on me, though. I figured season two might be my last season. It's not Winnick and Bunbury. They're great, but the writing just hasn't been up to snuff. In fact I think it got worse from season one to season two. However, I'll probably keep watching while Ackles is on. He's so good.

At one time, I thought Big Sky was on The CW because the writing is bad.  If you've ever watched any shows on that network, you'll know what I'm talking about.    

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, rr2911 said:

At one time, I thought Big Sky was on The CW because the writing is bad.  If you've ever watched any shows on that network, you'll know what I'm talking about.    

Oh, yes.

I only meant "did their homework" as far as incorporating Jensen Ackles into the show. It felt like they knew enough about Supernatural and Jensen, to make Beau feel familiar enough for those of us who look at Jensen and still think, "Dean!" without making the Big Sky character just Dean by another name.

• Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, luvthepros said:

I miss Ronald.

I think I might too! At least he didn’t refer to women as “girls” and use “darling.” Just no. They better bring Jeri back, she’s the best part of the show. She had more spark with Lindor than Cassie does.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 5

Who was Cassie and Lindor going after at the house with the interrupted cookout? Who was under the tarp? I was able to keep track of most of the show, but that has me puzzled.

Hospital alarm, and no-one comes running? How long before Scarlett is caught and in danger? 

On 5/20/2022 at 2:50 AM, rr2911 said:

My favorite character by far is Ren.  Golly, she's gorgeous!!

On 5/20/2022 at 8:39 PM, Wickedeve said:

Did anyone else immediately start shipping Ren and Beau? 😍

Hell, no! I despise Ren. If she's not a full fledged psycho/sociopath, she's pretty close to evil.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Who was Cassie and Lindor going after at the house with the interrupted cookout? Who was under the tarp? I was able to keep track of most of the show, but that has me puzzled.

Hospital alarm, and no-one comes running? How long before Scarlett is caught and in danger? 

Hell, no! I despise Ren. If she's not a full fledged psycho/sociopath, she's pretty close to evil.

Absolutely.

• Love 1

While this show has never been on a first name basis with the Emmys, I thought the acting was particularly horrible this episode, for the most part.  

The syndicate needs to hire better hit men.  That guy was all kinds of inept.

I liked Ren growling at Jag and telling him to get out of the wheelchair and walk.

As cotton candy as he is, I will give Sheriff Beau some props for quoting John Prine.

(edited)
23 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I haven't quite caught up so unfortunately am not clear on all the names but they said they were going to the paramedic's house.  The paramedic who was supposed to be transporting, oh I forget his name, Rick's brother to the hospital had stopped showing up for work.  Now as we saw in 2.13, it was actually a syndicate guy transporting him so he could kill him, so basically the syndicate had killed the real paramedic and replaced him with their henchman. (I watched the last few episodes first then went back and started from the beginning but only got up to 1.6 before 2.18 aired so I don't really know what happened in the middle yet)

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 5/22/2022 at 1:12 AM, Cinnabon said:

I think I might too! At least he didn’t refer to women as “girls” and use “darling.” Just no. They better bring Jeri back, she’s the best part of the show. She had more spark with Lindor than Cassie does.

Jerri is in the new Queer as Folk so while she will probably be back I assume that's why she'll be off investigating on her own for a while, to film the other show, but I like Lindor and Cassie, I don't know, I think they're cute together.  I wouldn't mind if she got together with Beau though, if they don't make him and Jenny a thing.  Luckily Jensen Ackles has got good chemistry with both leads. Unless he really is still stuck on his ex wife and they make that his storyline next season.

• Love 4

Actually a somewhat low key season finale by Big Sky standards, it was actually pretty decent. It had a lot of typical silly Big Sky things like no one in the hospital running in when someone is clearly flatlining, but they did manage to tie up a decent amount of plots while setting up some new things for the next season. Of course, the big news of the season is Jensen Ackles joining the show as a new regular, and I am so excited to see what he brings to the show. Jensen is so charming that he can make even lousy material work, I was with Supernatural until the bitter end so I know how far his charm can take a bad script, and he is already off to a strong start. You can definitely see the show winking to his past on Supernatural, dropping the good old "son of a bitch" catchphrase and being introduced working on a car, I hope he can provide this show with some much needed energy. 

Its twisted, but I actually was moved when Ren and Jag hugged and exchanged I love you's to each other after Jag killed their father with Ren's approval. I guess nothing brings siblings together like being pissed off at their parent. Alicia, of course, went and took control of at least some of their company and runs off to London, but I suspect that's not the last we've seen of her or Ren and her posse. Ren might be down but she sure isn't out yet. I would be alright with them sticking around as a background threat next season, but I wouldn't want them to overstay their welcome like previous villains. 

I don't know why the show is always trying to find reasons to keep Jenny and Cassie apart, the two of them have such great chemistry, its one of the best things about the show, they absolutely light up when they're together. I wish they made use of that friendship more often, they keep sticking them in separate plots instead of letting them work together or hang out, which is too bad because their scenes together are usually the shows best.

Another wild and wacky season of Big Skies, and if nothing else, I cant say that it was boring. 

• Love 6

So Jenny’s new love interest has arrived.  Jenny’s undersheriff attire was particularly college student ish  this episode.    She was also particularly insubordinate at the get acquainted meeting.   

so are we finally done with Scarlett?    

Will Jenny run Ren out of town next season or will Ren allowed to run her cartel in peace?

Where is Cassie’s son?  He hadn’t been seen at her place since her Dad’s funeral.  

• Love 2

I remember in the episode Cassie came back(was it 2.15?) she mentioned something about her son staying with someone, I guess it was relatives?  Does seem weird but typical TV to think it's A-OK to chuck a kid off to relatives when a major loss has happened in their lives, because that's such a good way to make them feel secure.  Let's hope next season they remember she has a son and bring him back at the start(without any SORAS happening - soap opera rapid aging syndrome, kid goes away for summer camp, comes back 10 years older).

That said I still really have enjoyed the show and am looking forward to finishing up the eps I still haven't seen to fill in some of the blanks and to next season.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, tessathereaper said:

I remember in the episode Cassie came back(was it 2.15?) she mentioned something about her son staying with someone, I guess it was relatives?  Does seem weird but typical TV to think it's A-OK to chuck a kid off to relatives when a major loss has happened in their lives, because that's such a good way to make them feel secure.  Let's hope next season they remember she has a son and bring him back at the start(without any SORAS happening - soap opera rapid aging syndrome, kid goes away for summer camp, comes back 10 years older).

That said I still really have enjoyed the show and am looking forward to finishing up the eps I still haven't seen to fill in some of the blanks and to next season.

The kid was probably also sent to stay with relatives since Cassie is overwhelmed with work right now and her dad used to provide some of the childcare.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

The kid was probably also sent to stay with relatives since Cassie is overwhelmed with work right now and her dad used to provide some of the childcare.

Sure but I mean lots of single mothers deal with that so hopefully they will not leave her son with relatives next season too that's all I mean.  Simply because they don't want to deal basically with her being a mother.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/27/2022 at 12:12 PM, luvthepros said:

Yes, Jenny has a son and he is still alive.

He was off at college.  Supposedly.  You’d have thought she’d have called him at least once since he’s still recovering from his dads death and his girlfriends kidnapping.  He probably should have been informed about Ronald’s demise. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3

No way in Hades is a law enforcement officer of any branch gonna get away with letting a transported inmate become an out-mate with no repercussions.  No consequences from the Temporary Sheriff other than a good-natured wink and vow to keep her secret safe?  I thought it was totally bogus that Jenny would be taking Travis in alone, but this show is totally bogus much of the time.

No surprise Jag snuffed the life out of his father with sister Ren's blessing.  They are both psychopaths although Ren runs the show.

Travis is off to find Kate the C.I./love interest which is one plot all ready for Season 3.  I hope Jerrie is back in Season 3.  She's my favorite character.

I predict Cassie and Jenny will work as PIs again because Jenny will probably decide to leave the Sheriff's Dept. because of Temporary Sheriff so they can have a go at a romance.  Looks like Cassie gets Lindor.  Neither mom misses their kids.  Both leading ladies are my least favorite characters although the show managed to tone down the annoyances toward the end of this season.

• Love 1
On 5/30/2022 at 2:52 PM, Semiglued said:

I’m liking Jensen on this show, surprised by how natural he seems. 

Jensen Ackles brought a good energy to it. Yeah Beau Arlen fit right in.   I'm sure we'll find there is some less than noble reason for this next season at some point, but until then I liked the "Three Tequilateers" at the end.  And again I feel like it's a way they can actually highlight Jenny and Cassie's relationship rather than take away from it.

When it comes to the writing of the show, I kind of feel like sometime you just have to accept that a show is not going to be realistic and go with the flow.  Big Sky has pretty much been like this for most of it's run, so things are going to happen that would never fly in real life.  Yes it's got lots of bad people and weird situations and people die left and right, but sometimes the "unreality" is comforting, in a similar way procedurals can be.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 5/19/2022 at 11:02 PM, thuganomics85 said:

And, of course, the big story is that freaking Jensen Ackles arrives as Beau Arlen: a former cop from Texas who is now the new sheriff of Big Sky county!  Sure, he might have some questionable views about gender roles (assuming Cassie wouldn't know anything about cars, calling Jenny "darling"), but he's certainly got that classic Ackles charm!  Still can't believe they got him here; and as a regular none the less; but I'm optimistic that he will be able to give this show a much needed jolt.

I was all set to check out after Season 2 but seeing Jensen Ackles make his appearance on the show all but guarantees I'll be back for the silly ride that will be Season 3.    Even though I wasn't a regular watcher of Supernatural, I had the biggest crush on him back in the day.    Honorable mention goes to Janina Gavankar who bought her A game all season.

• Love 4
(edited)

I finally got around to watching the last 3 episodes. All in all, fairly tame for Big Sky, lol.

Only this show could make me vaguely root for the sociopathic children of a cartel leader, and be so happy for the cartel leader to finally bite it. Ren is highly entertaining to watch, and so is Donno. Tonya is a total surprise, seeing her turn into a cold-blooded killer. Now that Veer is gone, they can all go down, but they are great villains to watch in the meantime.

I love Cassie, but Jenny is bordering on caricature at this point. I want to root for her being a bad ass, but man, dial the attitude back a bit. She's been back with the cops for like 2 weeks, is getting her boss to falsify evidence for search warrants, and is pissed that someone else is in charge? She's lucky Tubbs hasn't kicked her out. 

I did lol at the idea that Travis could just go wandering off with no repercussions. I'm guessing the feds might have a few questions.

Cassie and Lindor are a great couple. He's endearingly awkward, though he had great chemistry with Jerrie as well.

Beau is a great addition, and I'm glad they aren't going the obvious route of having him clash with Jenny and the other cops, at least not yet. 

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 6
(edited)

I'm new to the show. Yes, just because of JA. I was tempted to catch up on the storyline but didn't and after reading here, am glad that I didn't waste my time. I loved him as Dean Winchester and stuck through to the very end, despite the horrible storylines, just for him and his character. I was looking forward to seeing him in other things. I was already a casual viewer of "The Boys" so I loved when he appeared on them but they wasted his character at the end.

I watched this episode to see what this show was going to do with him and I have mixed feelings. It was good to see him acting again but if all he's going to be is eye-candy, love interest, I think I'll pass, especially with not so great writing. He is good for so much more than that. Sorry, but I'm really hoping for some psycho Tom Hannigar hiding beneath Beau Arlen. I wonder if it's that kind of show. OR if it's possible to be.

Edited by Mary42
On 7/12/2022 at 9:53 AM, TV Anonymous said:

Out of all that has been said, why was Arlen playing with a Canadian football ball? Real life answer would be because the show was shot in Vancouver, of course.

Because it's set in Montana, which shares a long border with Canada, and someone in the sheriff's office, perhaps even Sheriff Tubbs himself, picked up a Canadian football on a trip?  The show filmed Season 2 in New Mexico(and Season 3 is going to be filmed there as well).  

• Like 1