Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E21: White Trash, Holy Rollers and Punching People

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, appositival said:

I was waiting for Sheldon to recite all of the gossip about the other families in town (arrests, drunkenness, affairs, etc), but I guess that would never occur to him even if he does remember all the gossip he's ever heard.

I wonder if Sheldon will complain about missing the routine of going to church?

Missy is the one who's tuned into gossip.  I think Sheldon is more likely to ignore it if it didn't affect him directly.

As for missing the routine, that's an interesting question.  We do know he likes to challenge Pastor Jeff in church from time to time, so he might miss that.

15 minutes ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

I've always found Pastor Jeff to be a bit of a jerk.  This episode removed all doubt.

Yep, never mind that he's divorced as long as he managed to wait until after the wedding to have sex with the now-second wife.  Totally a hypocrite.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Billy jumping in to help Missy was so freaking sweet. 

Pastor Jeff really surprised me. I'm sure plenty of people in his congregation had pre-marital sex and eight-pound preemies. Everyone acting like Georgie committed mass murder is ridiculous.

Also ridiculous is MeeMaw continually driving a wedge between Mandy and Georgie. Mandy has every right to be mad that Georgie lied, but she's 50% of the equation and needs to be held accountable too. Icing Georgie out of the pregnancy as a form of punishment only hurts her in the long run.

Clearly Pastor Rob is coming around for more than prayers and well wishes. I don't know why Mary told George about the visit. 

It really annoys me how callous the college staff are towards Sheldon. Yes, he's a grating know-it-all, but he's also a child. Maybe instead of being so dismissive they could set him up with a counselor.

Missy was the shining star of the episode. 

Mary had to tell George about Rob's visit because Missy saw them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I've never liked Pastor Jeff, but I'm predisposed to disliking and distrusting his type.  I don't trust the youth pastor either, but for different reasons.

Missy really circled the wagons, didn't she?  She's quite the family defender.  They've shown her to be a little bit of a middle school "mean girl" when she talks about school or her friends, but when it comes right down to it she really does have a heart of gold.  We saw that when she broke the "girl code" to get her mom to rush to Paige's rescue.  And boy did we ever see it in last night's episode. 

I realize it is the catalyst for everything that is going on right now, but I'm not at all interested in the pregnancy story line.  It is pulling too much focus from the main action. 

• Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:
16 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I don't know why Mary told George about the visit.

I think she told him because she wants it to be nothing but support.  And it's not like he wouldn't have found out anyway since Missy knew about it, so it was definitely safer for her to tell him first

I thought her preemptive notice about that was quite realistic and  believable. I thought she did that not merely to avoid George hearing about it later (from Missy or otherwise), but to support Mary's own rationalization that it meant nothing. For her, if it meant nothing, there was no reason to conceal it. Thus, by broadcasting it unprovoked, she was trying to convince herself that it had no import.

Edited by ahpny
  • Love 15
(edited)
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

I've never liked Pastor Jeff, but I'm predisposed to disliking and distrusting his type.  I don't trust the youth pastor either, but for different reasons.

Missy really circled the wagons, didn't she?  She's quite the family defender.  They've shown her to be a little bit of a middle school "mean girl" when she talks about school or her friends, but when it comes right down to it she really does have a heart of gold.  We saw that when she broke the "girl code" to get her mom to rush to Paige's rescue.  And boy did we ever see it in last night's episode. 

I realize it is the catalyst for everything that is going on right now, but I'm not at all interested in the pregnancy story line.  It is pulling too much focus from the main action. 

Same.

It's really interesting that these eps are running right now with all that's going on in the news, though I won't go so far as to call Lorre a clairvoyant. Still, the timing is a bit spooky...and I'll leave it there.

I really miss Peg, the chain-smoking other church secretary who is always on the verge of hacking up a lung. She's always been portrayed as being quite savvy to the congregation's dynamics and as per the church carnival episode a couple of seasons back, had a checkered past. 

My feeling basically is this story is really less about Georgie and Mandy as it is about Mary and George's pending imploding marriage. I don't think Georgie will marry Mandy and I see the pregnancy ending in a miscarriage. It'll be interesting to see what happens in Season 6.

Edited by Prairie Rose
  • Love 10
17 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Sheldon wants to switch to Judaism because William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy were Jewish.  Bwah ha ha   

Sheldon had some great comedic moments with the family in this one. I think the show is the strongest when it leans into the ensemble instead of focusing on him. This episode did that really well. His banter with George earlier in the episode had me laughing.

Missy continues to be a tour de force in the back half of the season. Starting with the Paige storyline, she's been great with her emotional contributions to her family through this whole storyline.

I also really enjoyed Meemaw.

• Love 7

My dad owned a bakery in central Ohio for 25 years; he retired in 1986, and we sold bagels during the last 3-4 years of the business. If bagels were in central Ohio at that time, they were surely in Texas.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

I really miss Peg, the chain-smoking other church secretary who is always on the verge of hacking up a lung. She's always been portrayed as being quite savvy to the congregation's dynamics and as per the church carnival episode a couple of seasons back, had a checkered past. 

I forgot Peg! I guess she still exists in an alternate universe of this show. Anyone know how I can stream it? Heh
Seriously, though. I am glad to see she is just working on other projects: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0153108/
But I would love to get Peg's thoughts on all of this.

4 minutes ago, Traveller519 said:
17 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Sheldon wants to switch to Judaism because William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy were Jewish.  Bwah ha ha   

Sheldon had some great comedic moments with the family in this one. I think the show is the strongest when it leans into the ensemble instead of focusing on him. This episode did that really well. His banter with George earlier in the episode had me laughing.

They really should have named the show something like "Young Sheldon's World."

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Prairie Rose said:

My feeling basically is this story is really less about Georgie and Mandy as it is about Mary and George's pending imploding marriage.

Same here.  Poor Georgie is having his immediate future thrown under the bus just to move along the imploding marriage plot.  I guess the actor isn't complaining as he gets some good scenes and more screen time but I only wish it were for a better storyling.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But I would love to get Peg's thoughts on all of this.

She probably would've given Pastor Jeff her 2 cents and a lot more!!  I'm confident she would've stood up for Mary.  

14 minutes ago, Zanzibar said:

My dad owned a bakery in central Ohio for 25 years; he retired in 1986, and we sold bagels during the last 3-4 years of the business. If bagels were in central Ohio at that time, they were surely in Texas.

I remember back in the early 80's in Florida when my boss would walk around eating bagels & cream cheese with his mouth open.  I think that's what turned me off of bagels, plus, they taste like dried up bread to me.  I don't understand the attraction!  YMMV!

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

You obviously don't know many evangelical Baptists.  My cousins' church absolutely would act like this NOW, never mind in the early 90s.  Not all churches are like that, but there is definitely a particular type which is.

I live in Arkansas, practically everybody I know is an evangelical Baptist.  In the mid 1980s, two of my teenage cousins got pregnant.  Both were members of the same rural Baptist church.  There was no shunning, no kicking out, and no ex-communication.  In fact, the church ladies hosted baby showers for them!  No one "approved", but no one was kicking teenage girls, boys, young women or their families to the curb.  This storyline is utter nonsense.  There's a reason why real people think Hollywood is a bunch of religion hating loons and it's because they are.

Edited by Magnumfangirl
  • Love 9
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

This storyline is utter nonsense

Absolutely agree.  Of course there would be gossip and some mean spirited comments - human nature is human nature - but there is no way there would have been this kind of reaction and Mary wouldn't have lost her job over something her son did.   Or her daughter either for that matter. 

Edited by SusanM
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

I live in Arkansas, practically everybody I know is an evangelical Baptist.  In the mid 1980s, two of my teenage cousins got pregnant.  Both were members of the same rural Baptist church.  There was no shunning, no kicking out, and no ex-communication.  In fact, the church ladies hosted baby showers for them!  No one "approved", but no one was kicking teenage girls, boys, young women or their families to the curb. . . .

I am glad you posted this and still hope the show might have the Youth Pastor turn out to be just a genuine follower of Jesus and not at all interested in Mary “in that way” so the viewers can see that there are some “Christians” who are not metaphorically burning women at the stake as witches. 

However, my now-middle-aged daughters are still traumatized by the memory of their pastor’s teen daughter being required to stand up alone in front of the congregation and apologize for getting pregnant and bringing shame on the church.  
Likely the writers of this episode based this storyline on real life experiences as well.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Sure, Mary has a crush, but she'd never do anything to act on it because that doesn't fit with her beliefs. 

Temptation can be a powerful thing, which she gives into later on in life.  

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

However, my now-middle-aged daughters are still traumatized by the memory of their pastor’s teen daughter being required to stand up alone in front of the congregation and apologize for getting pregnant and bringing shame on the church.

Goodness, that's terrible.  I remember the daughter of a fellow well-respected church member who got pregnant, but there was no public punishment.  There were a lot of whispers and gossip (mostly because things were rather hush-hush, so everybody was just trying to figure out the truth of it), but no town flogging involved!!

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

I live in Arkansas, practically everybody I know is an evangelical Baptist.  In the mid 1980s, two of my teenage cousins got pregnant.  Both were members of the same rural Baptist church.  There was no shunning, no kicking out, and no ex-communication.  In fact, the church ladies hosted baby showers for them!  No one "approved", but no one was kicking teenage girls, boys, young women or their families to the curb.  This storyline is utter nonsense.  There's a reason why real people think Hollywood is a bunch of religion hating loons and it's because they are.

Well apparently evangelical Baptists in Arkansas are different from ones in Maryland because my cousins' church is exactly like this.

24 minutes ago, SusanM said:

Absolutely agree.  Of course there would be gossip and some mean spirited comments - human nature is human nature - but there is no way there would have been this kind of reaction and Mary wouldn't have lost her job over something her son did.   Or her daughter either for that matter. 

She would in my cousins' church.

21 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Likely the writers of this episode based this storyline on real life experiences as well.

A different cousin's daughter had to do this (in a different church) for just talking to a boy on the phone.  So this storyline is not far-fetched at all to me.

15 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Temptation can be a powerful thing, which she gives into later on in life.  

Long after her husband is dead, though.  It's the possibility of cheating which I think is outside of Mary's character.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
16 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

She would in my cousins' church.

I concede my knowledge of the inner workings of evangelical christian churches is limited!  I guess where I am coming from with regard to YS is the way the people we have met from Mary's church have been depicted to this point.  The church secretary is hardly a holy roller for example (she's a hoot) and Pastor Jeff, up to this storyline anyway, did not come across to me as someone who had no understanding or sympathy with human failings.  In a recent rerun I saw he talks about sneaking off to drink and dance with friends when he was a teenager.  He also admits to Mary he lied to his first wife so she would marry him - and it's clear his attraction to her wasn't based on her belief in Jesus!  He's also divorced and married for a second time.  Anyway this extreme reaction to a teen pregnancy just rings very hollow to me.

Edited by SusanM
  • Love 5
(edited)

Here's what Peg said to Georgie at the church carnival ("A Parasol and a Hell of an Arm", Season 3):

Peg: I bet you're disappointed that cute little blonde girl got sick and you're working with me.
George Jr.: I guess.
Peg:You're gonna learn life's like that. A parade of disappointments.
George Jr.: Is that so?
Peg: Yep. Sooner you give up, the better.

George Jr.: When did you give up?
Peg: June 14, 1945. The man I loved came home from the war with syphilis. Now ask me how I found out.
George Jr.: No, thank you.

Peg: So I shacked up with him anyway.

George Jr.: Uh-huh.

Peg: I mean, what choice did I have? I was pregnant with I don't know whose baby.
George Jr.: Uh-huh.
Peg: Sleeping on my cousin Arlene's couch. Which was in her front yard.
George Jr.: Uh-huh.

15 minutes ago, SusanM said:

He also admits to Mary he lied to his first wife so she would marry him - and it's clear his attraction to her wasn't based on her belief in Jesus!  

Pastor Jeff got burned big time by Selena. You'd think he'd be more sympathetic to Georgie. Has he even offered to talk with Georgie and/or Mandy?

Edited by Prairie Rose
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

Pastor Jeff has some nerve treating Mary like this after everything she did for him after his divorce. 

Meemaw being there for Wendy is nice, but I don't like how she seems to be trying to edge Georgie out of everything. Georgie lying was a really bad thing to do, but he's trying to do the right thing, its not fair for her to keep trying to get in between Georgie and Wendy. Besides, if Meemaw thought him lying was so terrible, she should have just told Wendy instead of waiting for Georgie to do it. 

Missy and Billy for episode MVP's. This show has always had more drama to it than its parent show, but good lord has it gotten depressing lately. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

Sheesh. Bring the comedy back, people. One This Is Us a week is enough. If the season ends with another dreary cliffhanger I hope we can at least get some laughs out of

Spoiler

Sheldon dealing with puberty.

The actors are great but I'd rather have them be funny.

• Love 3

I actually liked this episode more than many of the previous. I was getting really bored and finding the show kind of lazy for a while now. But I like that this week they are showing how the situation is rippling through the different characters. Mary's conversation with the Dean, and Missy's reaction... really everything Missy did this week... was interesting to me. And George finally blowing his top instead of simmering all the time is, while unpleasant, actually some kind of progress, in a really weird way.

There's plenty not to like. George's friends being dicks to him at the bar, and the cowardice and/or hypocrisy and/or generally shitty behavior of the head Pastor, are quite unpleasant. Thinking about how they family will pay bills without Mary's salary and with George's job in question... it's tough. It's definitely not a light sitcom or really a comedy at all right now.

The Youth Pastor is actually a good pastor, and if it wasn't obvious he's pining for Mary, him visiting her at home would be a kind and I'd say correct thing to do. If Pastor Jeff did that (instead of kicking her out), I'd have applauded it. So... it's a mess but you see how everybody's struggling, and that's humanity for you right there.

I will never get over how followers of Jesus can be so horrible to people Jesus embraced.

• Love 17
(edited)

2 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

There's a reason why real people think Hollywood is a bunch of religion hating loons and it's because they are.

There is also a reason that the saying "there's no hate like christian love" exists and it's not because of Hollywood. That's not to say that some Christians are not good people as there are good & bad people in every walk of life no matter how much some self righteous people deny it.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

My feeling basically is this story is really less about Georgie and Mandy as it is about Mary and George's pending imploding marriage. I don't think Georgie will marry Mandy and I see the pregnancy ending in a miscarriage. It'll be interesting to see what happens in Season 6.

Peg was/is awesome!! 

I agree this storyline exists because the show is writing its way toward TBBT's canon regarding George and Mary. It explains why their marriage blew up and why Mary is so bitter about it. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, MollyMelrose said:

Kinda wonder how a church that will no longer employ Mary continues to employ Peg, a woman who has quite possibly given a majority of the commandments a run for their money.

Because Pastor Jeff is afraid of Peg, and he's not afraid of Mary.  He's a petty man, has power over Mary, and is punching down.  If he tried that with Peg, he'd be handed his ass.  And he knows it.

• LOL 4
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, SusanM said:

. . . and Pastor Jeff, up to this storyline anyway, did not come across to me as someone who had no understanding or sympathy with human failings.  In a recent rerun I saw he talks about sneaking off to drink and dance with friends when he was a teenager.  He also admits to Mary he lied to his first wife so she would marry him - and it's clear his attraction to her wasn't based on her belief in Jesus!  He's also divorced and married for a second time.  Anyway this extreme reaction to a teen pregnancy just rings very hollow to me.

I am still hoping (ever the optimist except most of the time when I am a pessimist) that at least we will get a reveal that the church elders put Pastor Jeff up to it, and he will apologize.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Maybe they were in some areas where there was a Jewish population but Texas?  And I am talking about barely 40 miles from NYC in CT and they were very hard to find in 1991 and believe me, I was looking for them.  Maybe there were some awful frozen ones in the supermarket but no bagel shops like we have all over now and the donut shops didn't have them either yet.  That didn't start for a few years yet.  And that was in CT, much closer to bagel "ground zero" geographically and socially than Texas.

Also, I traveled all over this country in the 1970s and never saw a bagel outside the NYC area.  And again, I would have loved to find one.  I'm sure they had them in California, though, although I didn't get there until the '90s.

Yeah, I lived in Greenville, Texas from 1989 to 1993.  We had bagels.  Every Sunday, with cream cheese, and salmon my husband smoked in his backyard smoker. 

They came in Plain, Onion & Poppy Seed.  Neither of us would eat the Poppy Seed because back then, the rumor was that Poppy seeds would give you a reading for Opiates on a random drug test.  And both of us had those at our companies.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I will never get over how followers of Jesus can be so horrible to people Jesus embraced.

Because followers are fallible and prone to sin, whereas Jesus wasn't.  He's who they try to emulate but tend to fail on so many levels. 

43 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I am still hoping (ever the optimist except most of the time when I am a pessimist) that at least we will get a reveal that the church elders put Pastor Jeff up to it, and he will apologize.

Either he was afraid of the Elders or those who are higher up in the central organization over their church.  I think this show has made a mockery of Pastor Jeff and religion in general by making him so goofy.  I've never had a pastor like that.   I'm not saying that they're not out there, but that wasn't my experience.  I was fortunate to have Adrian Rogers as my pastor when I was young.  He went on to become the President of the Southern Baptist Convention.  He set the bar very high for me as he was very well-respected.   

• Love 3
2 hours ago, momlyd said:

I would so like to see Peg take Pastor Jeff down! HAHAH!

Yes!! It wasn't so long ago that Peg was on. I think the last time we saw her was in the lock-in episode - which was also Mandy's introductory episode, I believe.

• Useful 1
23 hours ago, pennben said:

As should Mary. 

Sorry, but Pastor Rob would’ve been trained (as all counselors) to recognize transference and not put himself or Mary in that position. Mary is hardly a virgin and needs to be honest with herself that her feelings aren’t pure (which I think she realizes but right now she has the moral authority that nothing happened), but it’s Pastor Rob’s professional responsibility to put an end to it.

• Love 3

On 5/12/2022 at 8:43 PM, Ms Lark said:

I like Georgie's sincere efforts, but he's just too young for all this.

Yes, but this is very much who he is. He's a goofball and a horndog, but when someone, especially his family or a close friend needs him, he will not hesitate to be there. When he saw his younger siblings at a high school party he brought them home. He was about to have sex with a girl when his parents called looking for Missy and Sheldon, and he left his date to search for his younger siblings. He was willing to fight a grown man (Vernoica's father) when he came looking for her.

He's in way over his head with this pregancy, but he's going to try to do the right thing and help as much as he can. He wants to be there and do the right thing, I'm just not sure he and Mandy know what that is. I think it's great that Georgie didn't force his way into the doctor's office, but made it clear he was not leaving and would wait outside. 

13 hours ago, freeser said:

Did I hear George say in the preview something about having no job?  The parents of the football team are unhappy with his coaching now with the Georgie problem added in - do you think George get officially fired?  I guess he still has the part time job with Dale.....?

The part time job could turn into a full time job. Dale seemed ready to retire and I'm sure if George was willing and able to take over, Dale would let him. 

13 hours ago, SmallTownMom said:

I see everybody blaming Georgie for lying about his age.  But Mandy lied, too,  When they first met, I think she told Georgie she was 23, and he said he was 21.  I can kind of understand why he lied, but she should have known better.  She couldn't find anybody her own age?  And why on earth would she believe that Georgie was 21?  Because he's so sophisticated?

What's wrong with someone 23 dating someone 21, unless it's a graduate Teaching Assistant dating an undergraduate student or a supervisor dating a direct report? She made the mistake of believing what he told her. Maybe she thought he looked young for his age or was just a bit immature. 

Billy was awesome. I thought for sure he'd go along with the crowd but he has real loyalty to his friends. I like that Missy was trying to stand up for and defend her family, but I don't agree with how she went about it. I also liked Georgie telling her what she did was not okay. Overall, I enjoyed this episode.

• Love 4
(edited)

I just LOVED Billy standing up for Missy and clearing his head of the brain fog that has stymied him for his entire life. 

I can see it now...for next weeks finale, Billy trips and hits his head on the sidewalk. After a short stay in the hospital, he goes home and strange things start to happen. He suddenly can do addition faster than a calculator. He writes a composition in English class that is nominated for a Pulitzer. He absorbs knowledge like a dry sponge does water. He eventually gives Sheldon a run for his money and Sheldon doesn't like it...no he doesn't like it at all !!!

Edited by aqusdealer
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4

Missy is 29 right? Why would her parents say they want nothing to do with a 29-year old woman having a baby? She said she hadn’t even told them Georgie’s age yet. 

This storyline is so weird. It keeps being played like this is a teen pregnancy and she’s 16 or something.

• Love 3

I never imagined that there would be so many bagel posts here! 🥯 I've eaten bagels ever since I can remember, but Montreal is known for bagels, so no surprise there.

The current storyline is somewhat depressing, but I also think that they are setting up for canon. The acting has been phenomenal and I'm sure the actors are appreciating the opportunity to stretch their acting chops.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Missy Mandy is 29 right? Why would her parents say they want nothing to do with a 29-year old woman having a baby? She said she hadn’t even told them Georgie’s age yet. 

This storyline is so weird. It keeps being played like this is a teen pregnancy and she’s 16 or something.

Or Mandy’s parents are older, perhaps with physically demanding jobs from which they hope to retire, which they can’t do if they have to support another child from disposable diapers through daycare through college. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Missy is 29 right? Why would her parents say they want nothing to do with a 29-year old woman having a baby? She said she hadn’t even told them Georgie’s age yet. 

I can see parents being disappointed with a daughter having a child out of wedlock, regardless of the age and especially when that daughter is working as a waitress when it seems she had a career going for her that has fallen apart.  It's being written like a dramady right now which means of course they have to pile on everything negative they can possibly manage to think of to throw at Mandy.  Why they decided to make her 29 instead of a teen herself is just icing on this soap opera story.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:
22 hours ago, freeser said:

Did I hear George say in the preview something about having no job?  The parents of the football team are unhappy with his coaching now with the Georgie problem added in - do you think George get officially fired?  I guess he still has the part time job with Dale.....?

The part time job could turn into a full time job. Dale seemed ready to retire and I'm sure if George was willing and able to take over, Dale would let him. 

It's also possible that he'll be offered a coaching job at Sheldon's college. The show has made a big deal about how important Sheldon's happiness and staying in the school is to them.

Or not. It would be an easy semi-resolution.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Beden said:

It's also possible that he'll be offered a coaching job at Sheldon's college. The show has made a big deal about how important Sheldon's happiness and staying in the school is to them.

In the episode where George learns he may lose his job he goes to the college and asks the president if that job is still a possibility.  She tells him the school no longer has a football team.  I guess it's possible they could start one up again but the most likely scenario they seem to be building up to is George taking over as manager of Dale's store.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Billy was awesome. I thought for sure he'd go along with the crowd but he has real loyalty to his friends.

That's what is so sweet about him.  He didn't know what was going on, but he was going to help his friend, come hell or high water!!

• Love 7
14 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I think this show has made a mockery of Pastor Jeff and religion in general by making him so goofy.

He is a weird character.  The goofiness is more appropriate to being a youth minister than the lead pastor, but the divorce storyline is even weirder.  A divorced pastor would be far more scandalous among these type of church members than a teenage boy getting a girl pregnant.  Church members getting divorced is one thing, but the pastor being a divorcee would be pretty rare.  

• Love 4
(edited)
15 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I think this show has made a mockery of Pastor Jeff and religion in general by making him so goofy.  I've never had a pastor like that.

I never quite knew what to make of the way Pastor Jeff would let Sheldon ask him questions in the middle of the church service.  On the one hand it seemed to show an openness that was a little surprising in a good way but on the other hand, well, it was goofy.  Maybe this is me once again not knowing how things work in a Baptist church but would this be something encouraged, or even tolerated in most cases?

Edited by SusanM
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, SusanM said:

I never quite knew what to make of the way Pastor Jeff would let Sheldon ask him questions in the middle of the church service. 

Probably because the name of the show is "Young Sheldon." 😉

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 5/12/2022 at 8:47 PM, bad things are bad said:

Missy hugging her mom legit brought a tear to my eye 

Ditto, both actresses knocked it out of the park in this episode. I am impressed with how the show is handling these heavier topics while still keeping it funny. There were several funny little moments in this episode mixed in with the drama and touching moments. Well done. 

• Love 9

So I just saw this episode (figured I couldn't keep commenting without actually watching!) and the ONLY thing I liked was the way Missy hugged Mary and made her allegiance to her mother clear at the end.  Well done Missy.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, SusanM said:

Maybe this is me once again not knowing how things work in a Baptist church but would this be something encouraged, or even tolerated in most cases?

Back in my day (as an old fart like me would say), we sat quietly and kept our mouths shut, except to sing!  Actually, up until a certain age, we weren't allowed in "big church."  We went to Sunday school while the adults went to hear the sermon.  I might've been about 8 yrs old before going to the sermon.  In Sheldon's case, I agree with the saying "children should be seen and not heard!!"  

• Love 3

One thing that's becoming glaringly obvious with these recent dramatic episodes is how much of a sitcom character Sheldon really is.  We saw him as a typical sitcom man-child for 12 years on TBBT and now he's a mini-sitcom character on YS.  This is fine as long as YS is light-hearted and funny.  When things turn dark, Sheldon just seems completely out of place.  

All the other characters in this show are written much more realistically.  It would be hard to imagine a laugh-track on YS.  As stories become more serious, these characters still work because they're written as real people (or as "real" as you can get on a half hour TV show).  Sheldon, on the other hand, doesn't feel like a real person at all. When he entered the scene in this episode, it felt less like the continuation of the story and more like I'd accidently hit the remote control and switched to a completely different show.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9