Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E09: Showstopper/Final Judgement

• Start Topic

It seems like they’ve put 50 people through already and there’s still a half hour to go. 
And I am so sick of the fake outs. Just tell people if they made it or not and stop with the stupid “you’re going home…and we’ll see you back for the live shows” BS. 

• Love 19
8 minutes ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

And I am so sick of the fake outs. Just tell people if they made it or not and stop with the stupid “you’re going home…and we’ll see you back for the live shows” BS. 

Seriously. Once or twice, okay, gotta amp up the drama a bit, but my god, they are getting a lot of mileage out of that. 

I was wondering how they were going to handle that particular line in "You Oughta Know" :p. Good way to deal with that. 

I wonder what it must've been like for Lionel Ritchie to hear someone who wasn't even born yet when "Hello" came out singing that song. That had to be a bit surreal :p. 

Lady K's performance was fantastic. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Was Kelsie really let go or did she secretly bail on the competition?  That was a shocker.

There were so many performances I couldn't even bear to listen to.

Leah Marlene - I'm sorry, I can't stand the way she sings.  I just can't bear it whatsoever it drives me crazy.

The woman with the purple hair - but she was let go.

The young redheaded girl with the mother - she was whining and screaming through her whole song - No thank you!

Dan Marshall at the end - was that a serious performance?  Both Dan and the other guy Dakota, sigh, not my type of thing, I just ended the show who cares who makes it.

---

There were a few really good performances.  I love Jay Copeland.  I loved the guy who sang "Hello" by Lionel Richie - I thought he did a great job. Unfortunately he was let go.

I liked Noah Thompson who did Rihanna - but I felt like the judges gave him so much credit for the song choice before he even opened his mouth, and that was really unfair.  What if a woman picked Rihanna?  What if a Black woman picked her specifically?  They wouldn't give a shit.  You see how WGWGs are always treated like gods on this show, it really makes me roll my eyes.

I like the rock guy that did Come Together by The Beatles.  

-----

The judges' speeches and fakeouts made me so angry, so so so so so so angry that I just fast forwarded through all of them.  They are such assholes.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
(edited)

Had no idea Tristen was only 17. Wow thought he was in his twenties.

did Kenedi say she friend zoned ? Was that by Jordan? 

Already see the ones that will be weeded out ( in my head) . Curious to see how America will vote.

Edited by Diana Berry

Was this Hollywood week super short?  Don’t they usually do the thing where they put everyone into 3 conference rooms and then they tell one room they are going home?  It seemed like either they started with a much smaller group than usual or they were making some pretty hefty cuts in each round.    The platinum ticket holders never even sang alone till the final round. 

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Was Kelsie really let go or did she secretly bail on the competition?  That was a shocker.

There were so many performances I couldn't even bear to listen to.

Leah Marlene - I'm sorry, I can't stand the way she sings.  I just can't bear it whatsoever it drives me crazy.

The woman with the purple hair - but she was let go.

The young redheaded girl with the mother - she was whining and screaming through her whole song - No thank you!

Dan Marshall at the end - was that a serious performance?  Both Dan and the other guy Dakota, sigh, not my type of thing, I just ended the show who cares who makes it.

---

There were a few really good performances.  I love Jay Copeland.  I loved the guy who sang "Hello" by Lionel Richie - I thought he did a great job. Unfortunately he was let go.

I liked Noah Thompson who did Rihanna - but I felt like the judges gave him so much credit for the song choice before he even opened his mouth, and that was really unfair.  What if a woman picked Rihanna?  What if a Black woman picked her specifically?  They wouldn't give a shit.  You see how WGWGs are always treated like gods on this show, it really makes me roll my eyes.

I like the rock guy that did Come Together by The Beatles.  

-----

The judges' speeches and fakeouts made me so angry, so so so so so so angry that I just fast forwarded through all of them.  They are such assholes.

I’m curious about Kelsie, also.  She definitely would have made top 12 based upon her popularity online.  I thought she had a very sweet singing voice unlike all the ‘ shouters’.  Maybe her nerves got the best of her and she self eliminated.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

I’m curious about Kelsie, also.  She definitely would have made top 12 based upon her popularity online.  I thought she had a very sweet singing voice unlike all the ‘ shouters’.  Maybe her nerves got the best of her and she self eliminated.

Very good point.  It's a lot more appealing to listen to than the whiners/shouters/cryers.  

3 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

Was this Hollywood week super short?  Don’t they usually do the thing where they put everyone into 3 conference rooms and then they tell one room they are going home?  It seemed like either they started with a much smaller group than usual or they were making some pretty hefty cuts in each round.    The platinum ticket holders never even sang alone till the final round. 

They used to do group rounds back in the day for maximum drama.  That stuff was usually a lot of fun.

• Love 8
(edited)

I completely disagree about one rejection:

Kelsie. Absolutely beautiful and strong voice. She got labeled as "needing confidence," and that was that. 

Still love Cameron! Tristen, too!

Too many girls sound alike. Weed 'em!

Definitely  a shorter process! Used to be amusing, watching Group Night practices ..and disappearances!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I completely disagree about one rejection:

Kelsie. Absolutely beautiful and strong voice. She got labeled as "needing confidence," and that was that. 

Still love Cameron! Tristen, too!

Too many girls sound alike. Weed 'em!

Definitely  a shorter process! Used to be amusing, watching Group Night practices ..and disappearances!

Still wonder if there was something more with Kelsie.  She didn’t even get a come back next year. 

• Love 3

Kelcie is pregnant  and I wonder if that had something to do with it. Also during Duets they said they she would constantly want the cameras off, and that might have turned off the producers. 

Surprised they did not show them saying no to Betty , as we never saw her again.   I guess with 59 left for showstoppers for 24 spots there were many we did not see even with duets.   Also some of the ones that made it barely got a mention.   You can tell who the "favorites" are. 

Personally I love Nicolina.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, SnarkAttack said:

They're eliminating the potential competition for Kenedi, the golden girl

Yep. They may have over-estimated her appeal, imo.

Spoiler

Also, it looks like she dropped out after she got to Top 24

And even though they got rid of Jordan, they may be surprised how long Cameron and Noah last. (Maybe Dan and Tristen, too).

I don't get the love for Platinum Jay; he doesn't seem special to me. Also quickly getting sick of Christian-how can he be only 21??-so old fashioned and runny. I do NOT want to hear this tiny, tubby guy in tacky Sopranos outfits shrieking about 'your sex is on fire', ick.

The girls aren't really standing out to me, except for Nicolina,  Hunter and Sage. I can't even remember most of their names yet.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, SnarkAttack said:

They're eliminating the potential competition for Kenedi, the golden girl.  She can sing, but tries too hard to impress.

I was surprised Sam was gone.

YES, you belled that cat! 🔔 🐈 👑

I was trying to find a way to say that about Kenedi, who hasn't  sounded as good as many others since Platinum Night, yet keeps movin' on! 🤔

I didn't know Kelsie was pregnant. But I'm  going to bell THAT "opposite" cat: I don't think the judges liked her being a "diamond in the rough". She wasn't "the total package."

• Love 2

Allegra is going to get eliminated after the top 24 shows, because they didn't even show her performance. Until last week, I'd never seen her, and was surprised because I kind of liked her voice. She'll be like Andrea Valles, someone who should've gone much farther, but got screwed because of lack of camera time. /sigh.

Katyra and Noah were my favorites from what we saw (loved Noah's song choice, hope he does pick more songs like that rather than simply generic country fodder). Kenedi probably next, although she goes a little overboard and out-of-control at times. Nicolina was okay--I did like she went smaller instead of bigger, since you would've expected the latter. Others I liked alright were Sir Blayke, Ryleigh ("Crazy"), and Lady K. I still like Jay even if I wasn't too crazy about that one. I personally don't mind Cadence like others do, but I know she's getting knocked out over the next two shows for sure.

I would've chose Dakota over the other country guy at the end (I don't try to remember their names if I don't like them), but, to be honest, they both should've been eliminated. They weren't nearly as good as most of the others; even breaking it down to their type specifically, Noah outclasses them by a mile. I can't believe they kept one of them, but eliminated Jordan. Jordan, while not somebody I would root hard for, was clearly more talented vocally than several they put through. Dontrell is another I would've liked to have made it. I would've preferred to seem more of him over end-of-episode country guy, Leah, Christian, Tristen, or the red-haired girl (Ava?). Tristen so wants to be Adam Lambert, but doesn't have it. Can't knock somebody for trying, I guess.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, mom2two said:

Kelcie is pregnant  and I wonder if that had something to do with it. Also during Duets they said they she would constantly want the cameras off, and that might have turned off the producers. 

Surprised they did not show them saying no to Betty , as we never saw her again.   I guess with 59 left for showstoppers for 24 spots there were many we did not see even with duets.   Also some of the ones that made it barely got a mention.   You can tell who the "favorites" are. 

Personally I love Nicolina.  

Interesting.  She definitely didn’t like the cameras which defeats the purpose of the show.

Betty did a live Instagram last night.  They told her she was too Broadway and her vibrato too strong.  

• Useful 3

I still love Cameron, but his manic behavior is starting to annoy me. I hope he learns to tone it a down a bit when he's on stage. When he's jumping around and doing back flips, it's a bit hard to take him serious. I also thought his song choice wasn't a good one (although I like the song), so I'm glad he still made it into the Top 24.

I'm glad they didn't put Kelcie through. She just didn't seem to be enjoying herself, and not all singers are cut out for American Idol. In past years, the judges have talked about how AI isn't just about the voice, it's about the entire package. I'm a bit saddened to hear that she's pregnant at 18, because that's not going to be easy. With her grandmother gone, I hope she has some other supportive people in her life.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

I still love Cameron, but his manic behavior is starting to annoy me. I hope he learns to tone it a down a bit when he's on stage. When he's jumping around and doing back flips, it's a bit hard to take him serious. I also thought his song choice wasn't a good one (although I like the song), so I'm glad he still made it into the Top 24.

It makes me a little uncomfortable tbh. Like he seems unhinged lol. I keep trying to decide whether I think he's high or if it's that he should be taking some kind of medication. I do still enjoy him for now though and I like his voice. Plus, I think he looks like a dead ringer for Ben Barnes, which endears him to me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Diana Berry said:

Interesting.  She definitely didn’t like the cameras which defeats the purpose of the show.

Betty did a live Instagram last night.  They told her she was too Broadway and her vibrato too strong.  

They're not wrong, the over-emoting was too much for TV. Projecting to the back rows might be necessary for a live pageant or theater, but it was over the top for television.

Allegra is going to get eliminated after the top 24 shows, because they didn't even show her performance. Until last week, I'd never seen her, and was surprised because I kind of liked her voice. She'll be like Andrea Valles, someone who should've gone much farther, but got screwed because of lack of camera time. /sigh.

Katyra and Noah were my favorites from what we saw (loved Noah's song choice, hope he does pick more songs like that rather than simply generic country fodder). Kenedi probably next, although she goes a little overboard and out-of-control at times. Nicolina was okay--I did like she went smaller instead of bigger, since you would've expected the latter. Others I liked alright were Sir Blayke, Ryleigh ("Crazy"), and Lady K. I still like Jay even if I wasn't too crazy about that one. I personally don't mind Cadence like others do, but I know she's getting knocked out over the next two shows for sure.

I was disappointed in a lot of these "showstopper" performances, none of them really stand out as amazing. Maybe Lady K, but I also really like that song, so that might be it.

But I really like so many of these people, it's going to be a bummer to lose more of them. I thought I would find Katyra tiresome, but she really entertained me. If the singing doesn't work out, she definitely has potential as an E host or one of Seacrest's other 30 jobs.

I am still not hearing the specialness of Kenedi's (boy, does autocorrect ever hate that spelling!) singing voice. I can't tell if I'm judging her more harshly because she's a platinum ticket holder so my expectations were higher, but I honestly don't even think she's good, let alone great. 

I do think Huntergirl has a good voice, but she's got such a bar fly vibe. The one yellow tooth in front, the smoking-induced circles under the eyes, the bad outfits, I just picture her doing karaoke every night at the local bar. And I kinda wish Nashville Star was still a thing, it feels like country is way over-represented on this show. I even like country, but I don't want to hear 20 contestants doing it.

Noah was really good, but feels too similar in vibe to last year's winner. The working class background, the gravelly voice, it just feels too familiar. Nicolina is a bit similar to Grace, the big voice on a bigger girl, although I like Nicolina's personality a bit more. I'm hoping that she will watch herself on TV and maybe pull back on the facial expressions a bit, they're very distracting.

Finally, am I alone in wondering what the hell Fritz's original song was about? Dedicated to his sister, written after a fight with his parents, but I couldn't figure out exactly what was being expressed. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Noah was really good, but feels too similar in vibe to last year's winner. The working class background, the gravelly voice, it just feels too familiar. 

This. He almost an exact copy of Chayce. I like them both but still.

Finally, am I alone in wondering what the hell Fritz's original song was about? Dedicated to his sister, written after a fight with his parents, but I couldn't figure out exactly what was being expressed.

I wasn't even paying attention to it because I was too busy imagining Fritz being happy that the other guy with the sister was eliminated so he could now take over that role and get himself some more screentime lol.

• LOL 3
5 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Yep. They may have over-estimated her appeal, imo.

Hide contents

Also, it looks like she dropped out after she got to Top 24

And even though they got rid of Jordan, they may be surprised how long Cameron and Noah last. (Maybe Dan and Tristen, too).

I don't get the love for Platinum Jay; he doesn't seem special to me. Also quickly getting sick of Christian-how can he be only 21??-so old fashioned and runny. I do NOT want to hear this tiny, tubby guy in tacky Sopranos outfits shrieking about 'your sex is on fire', ick.

The girls aren't really standing out to me, except for Nicolina,  Hunter and Sage. I can't even remember most of their names yet.

Whoa that spoiler I’m shocked.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

This. He almost an exact copy of Chayce. I like them both but still.

I wasn't even paying attention to it because I was too busy imagining Fritz being happy that the other guy with the sister was eliminated so he could now take over that role and get himself some more screentime lol.

Lol I couldn’t figure out that song either.  I’m bumfuzzled. It wasn’t great just listened to it again.   Aww I liked the other indie guitar guy with the sister. 

guess I’ll root for Tristen , Noah, guitar gal.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Hunter Girl, Noah and Nicolina for me.  I also really like Mike Parker.  And something weird was up with Kelsie.  She must have bowed out ?

Edited by Meowwww
Still watching lol
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Noah was really good, but feels too similar in vibe to last year's winner. The working class background, the gravelly voice, it just feels too familiar. Nicolina is a bit similar to Grace, the big voice on a bigger girl, although I like Nicolina's personality a bit more. I'm hoping that she will watch herself on TV and maybe pull back on the facial expressions a bit, they're very distracting.

That's interesting. I didn't like Chayce at all. Chayce wasn't a country contestant until the last two weeks of the show either, from what I recall. I suppose if we're consigned to getting WGWGs on loop again, at least I do like Noah. Nicolina reminds me a great deal of Grace, too, but I preferred Grace, tbh. Those two and Katyra will be the main ones I'm watching for this year, although I like a few others to a lesser degree.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

Just makes me so nervous.  And the judges obviously feel the same way.

• Love 5

I absolutely despise any Green Mile/Final Judgement episodes of these talent shows, because the judges use it to fuck with the contestants. Just show the performances and then who made it through without the stupidity.

And didn't they take them all to Hawai'i the last few seasons? This is just a new resort they want to advertise.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, ms gilly said:

No Kevin Gullage? That kid was unbelievably talented. Any idea what happened? Someone on Twitter said he was disqualified, but I couldn’t find any details. 

I just assumed he made it and they didn't show him. That would be such a shame because he was so good!

• Love 2

So far,

Favorites girls: Nicolina, Katyrah, Ava, Ellie (even though they haven't shown her since the original audition). I liked Kennedi's original audition, but I didn't like either of her Hollywood week performances. She has a great voice, but she will never win this show. Pretty girls with big voices and pedestrian song choices never win.

Favorite guys: Tristen, Mike (also MIA since the original audition), Christian, and I liked Noah's Rhianna cover, but generally hate country, so we'll see. He seems like the most probable winner just being who he is on this show, so I won't be rooting too hard for him.

Absolutely don't like: Leah, Hunter, Scarlet, Fritz, Dan (he's just so bland. And country.)

The rest are just a jumble to me. We'll see once the lives start if my feelings change.

Overall, I think the girls as a whole are stronger than the guys, but they are already at a disadvantage just being female on this show.

One more thing: I miss the old Hollywood week format. I miss it being individual performance, groups, individual performances, placed in groups in separate rooms. The duets mostly sound better, but the drama of the all night groups is missing. The arguments over song choices and choreography, missing group members who give up and go to bed, people searching for a group, pushy stage mamas taking over, etc. Just way more interesting.

Also, the rooms. So much fun trying to figure out which was the room being sent home. Also fun, watching the contestants try to figure out which room they were in based on who was with them. Doing it that way also allows more time to show more individual performances, but of course, less time with the judges stupidly faking everyone out. Man, I miss the old show.......

• Love 5
(edited)
On 4/5/2022 at 2:48 PM, ljenkins782 said:

Chayce was never really a Country singer.  He rebelled when Bobby Bones pushed him into it.  Neither was Laine (he wanted to do 50's rock).  It could be why both have struggled getting their music played on Country radio.  Noah at least is legit.

Edited by twilightzone
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

When did they stop doing the group round? I figured it was Covid related but I missed a lot of seasons.

Wikipedia says Season 18

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idol_(season_18)#Hollywood_Week

Hollywood Week[edit]

Hollywood Week was filmed December 2–5, 2019, at the Orpheum Theatre in Los Angeles, California.[20] There were several changes this season. Instead of the usual concepts of Hollywood Week with Lines of Ten, Group Rounds, and Solo Round, this season the 167 contestants faced the Genre Challenge. The contestants chose from genres given, Pop, Rock, R&B, Soul, Country, and Singer-Songwriter, and picked a song and were assessed amongst their group. After all performed, the judges brought the contestants to stage, similar to Lines of Ten, and made their decision. The Group Round was replaced with a Duet Round, in which the remaining contestants picked a duet partner and their song from a list provided. They were given twelve hours to rehearse including a session with a vocal coach, and later, a stage rehearsal. The judges decided if one, both, or neither moved to the Solo Round for which the remaining contestants performed with a backing band. The Top 40 were flown to Hawaii for a Showcase round to determine the Top 20 advancing to the live shows.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't miss the rooms, I think it's so cruel and so boring to watch anyway.

It's a lot faster than sitting there all day waiting to know your fate which seems more cruel than just ripping off the band aid, so to speak. I just preferred seeing all the final performances at once then letting them know at the end of the hollywood episode. I find this current format more boring.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/5/2022 at 12:22 PM, sempervivum said:

Also quickly getting sick of Christian-how can he be only 21??-so old fashioned and runny. I do NOT want to hear this tiny, tubby guy in tacky Sopranos outfits shrieking about 'your sex is on fire', ick.

I don't know if any of you remember Sal Valentinetti from AGT, but Christian is that type of singer.  There seems to be some kind of market for "Rat Pack" types of singers.   Older fans?  Retirement communities like The Villages in Florida would love it.   Also, I saw where Sal, Landau Eugene Murphy, and some others just returned from Dubai where they played a show.

• Useful 1

Here’s what Kevin Gullage posted on his Facebook page:

“So, about what happened… I was not disqualified. I was eliminated. Just like a lot of other contestants. American Idol is an amazing opportunity for musicians all around. I met so many great performers and singers. Also, I got to share my gift with all of you out there. There was no drama. There was no issue off camera. The issue was what was on camera. 

I’ve been on stages since I was around 14 years old. I’ve been brought up around amazing entertainers since I was born. The culmination of the lessons and upbringing I’ve lived for 23 years will come out on every stage I walk on to. That’s how I leave it all on the stage. Sometimes that way of being can- how do you say- go beyond what a show like American Idol might need. 

With that being said: 

“How was my showstopper?” Amazing, I guarantee you.

“Why did they let you go?” Idol wasn’t the stage meant for me. I could never argue that.

“Were you disqualified?” No. Quite the opposite!

“I’m going to stop watching!” Please don’t stop watching American Idol! It’s an opportunity for future musicians (as well as the current contestants) to reach levels of themselves and this business that they might not get to reach without it! 

I love you all and I promise I will see you soon! We might not know where yet, but I can assure you that it’s gonna happen!”

Sat here watching videos of him with his band. The talent is beyond. American Idol is a joke, eliminating true musicians.

https://www.basinstreetrecords.com/artists/kevin-the-blues-groovers/

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Kevin Gullage was too good for this. I hope he has a massive career. I must be turning into an old grump because I truly thought most of the showstopper performances were not good at all. It pitchy for me, dawg. What's more bewildering is that I saw Katie making exaggerated faces at some of the sour notes, yet still these people got through to the top 24. Lots of photogenic teen/earlytwentysomething girls this year with questionable vocal ability, and some guy singers who are coasting on character more than their vocals. 

• Love 5

I don't like the fake-outs. "Sorry to tell you...(dramatic pause) you made it to the top 24!  Sometimes the way the judges worded it, I expected the contestant to say, wait, did I make it or not?  It reminds me of Simon Cowell's signature, "I didn't like it (dramatic pause) I LOVED it!" 

Of course, its the way they get the most dramatic reaction, but it's become too predictable. 

• Love 5
On 4/5/2022 at 8:36 AM, SnarkAttack said:

I was surprised Sam was gone.

Maybe because she's pregnant too. I'm not saying that AI is being discrimatory against pregnant women, but all 3 have been eliminated. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/6/2022 at 2:23 PM, Maya said:

Honestly, I will be shocked if any one other than Noah wins!

I think he is very mediocre.

I laugh everytime he tells his girlfriend on the screen that he made it to the next round because if I was her I'd be like, "Really?!" And I'd wonder if he's just avoiding coming home to help with baby duties.😆

• Useful 1
On 4/4/2022 at 9:03 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

For me, it was a shocker that she even made it to Hollywood Week. I don't think her singing is good enough to make past singing in the shower.

Do I like Leah Marlene or do I just really like her dad? 🤔 

I loved the guy who sang "Hello" by Lionel Richie - I thought he did a great job. Unfortunately he was let go.

Oh no! I thought he was so bad.

Edited by Blissfool
  • Love 2
On 4/6/2022 at 2:31 PM, Ilovepie said:

One more thing: I miss the old Hollywood week format. I miss it being individual performance, groups, individual performances, placed in groups in separate rooms. The duets mostly sound better, but the drama of the all night groups is missing. The arguments over song choices and choreography, missing group members who give up and go to bed, people searching for a group, pushy stage mamas taking over, etc. Just way more interesting.

Also, the rooms. So much fun trying to figure out which was the room being sent home. Also fun, watching the contestants try to figure out which room they were in based on who was with them. Doing it that way also allows more time to show more individual performances, but of course, less time with the judges stupidly faking everyone out. Man, I miss the old show.......

My favorite of the rooms-situation was in Season 8 when Tatiana del Toro and Nick Mitchell/Norman Gentile were in the same room with poor Kris Allen, lol. 

• Love 2