Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: School Ties

• Start Topic

Having found their way back together, Maggie and Gary take important steps to secure their future as a couple. Regina’s estranged parents reunite to support her new business. Katherine and Greta attend their high school reunion. Rome’s documentary makes an impact on impressionable students at his old prep school.

Original airdate 4/6/2022

• Useful 1

Are Gary and Maggie twelve?

Rome just gets on my nerves anymore. I'm glad he said his piece to his old teacher directly instead of making some big speech about what a terrible person he was to the whole class.

You discover your girlfriend's at a fertility clinic, you don't have any clue why she's there, and the first thing you do is tell the first friend who happens to call you that she's there, because it's any of his business.

I'm not sure there's any character that I actually like at this point, except Colin (and maybe Danny). Now that Gary took his tracker off, I want him to get out and go find that old lady and live happily ever after with her.

I just realized, when the student introduced him, how close director Rome Howard's name is to director Ron Howard.

Nobody heard that huge crash from the hallway?

I feel like I should comment on the serious stuff in the episode but I got nuthin'.

Why do I still watch this show? (Maybe it's just because I like snarking with all you fine people.)

• LOL 6
  • Love 9

For the most part, I liked this episode.

Glad Rome changed his mind and confronted the Dean one on one.

Glad Maggie doesn't have to get pregnant right now.

But Gary's cancer coming back was foreshadowed like a sledge hammer, just pounding into you.

I really don't care about Gina's family drama. 

• Love 8

Man, what an odd episode.  So many strange stories……where to start?

The story of why Regina’s mom lied to her father years ago about having an affair made no sense.  I kinda agree with her dad. Why did Regina’s mom leave Regina alone with this brother, who she described as a monster?

Katherine’s acting at the school reunion was strange…..what attorney steals from their high school?  She could be prosecuted and disbarred for stuff like that. Not funny, imo.   What about the other students who’s name was on that plaque?  And what a way to announce you’re a lesbian…kissing your girlfriend?  Wouldn’t a private talk work better?  Why are their writing Katherine’s character as being so irrational?  

That crazy game with Gary and Maggie….I suppose that was harmless.  They seem to have a lot of time on their hands.  Lol  Hope everything is ok.  

Glad Rome told that old guy from his school off.  

Good that Eddie figured it out.  

• Love 10

I forgot to mention--

Except for the "Gary's cancer might be back" ending, this episode just seemed disjointed and just a fluff episode. Again, for the most part, I liked this episode. But, there's not a lot to say about it, is there?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Gina's story took a very dark turn. I was expecting some cheesy reconciliation with her parents, but they certainly moved away from that.

Do people actually have HS reunions in their old school? Mine have all been out at restaurants. I didn't even think you were allowed to serve alcohol on a public school property, but maybe that is not right.

I guess we were supposed to think Katharine stealing the plaque was funny, but I thought it was kind of a crappy thing to do. There was plenty of other fun rebellious things she could have done. Also, I know her mom was rude about the tattoo and Greta, but kissing Greta as an announcement seemed a bit immature.

I liked Eddie and Gary's interaction in this. It is nice to see an honest male friendship.

Someone here called Gary's cancer being back. This show needs its drama. I think he and Maggie had 3 whole episodes as a happy couple with no angst?

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The story of why Regina’s mom lied to her father years ago about having an affair made no sense.  I kinda agree with her dad. Why did Regina’s mom leave Regina alone with this brother, who she described as a monster?

She kind of explained it in this episode, that she had blocked it out so she genuinely didn't remember at the time. They certainly offered a lot of twists in Gina's story, that's for sure. 

Not a fan of Gary stalking his girlfriend by planting a tracker on her, all for a "game". No, show, that's hella creepy and not cute in any way. I don't care if Maggie thought it was cute. You don't teach your audience that planting a tracker on their significant others is ok if it's presented as a game. 

I'm glad Rome changed his mind, because he was really looking bad there.

I really don't care much about Eddie/Anna, but at least they're dealing with his injury.

Similarly to Greta/Katherine. No, stealing something for fun isn't cute either. No, I don't care if it's due to her not having any fun in high school. And also no, planting a kiss on your girlfriend's lips to spite your mom is also not cool.

Seriously, did teenagers write this episode?

I don't think Gary's cancer is back. That would just be repetitive of Maggie's treatment in season 1. It'll very likely just be a scare and nothing more, probably to prompt Gary/Maggie to get married or some stupid shit like that. But no, I don't believe that Gary's cancer is back. I just don't think the show wants to have another season of someone going through treatment, especially with Gary. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

So, it’s probably a false alarm for Gary and they decide to speed up the baby plans.  Maggie gets pregnant, and suddenly Gary’s ex shows up at his door to admit he IS the father of her baby.  

Before covid, we had started having a reunion annually at my old school.  It was a private school, so we just had to reserve the cafeteria for the day.  Initially, we had it at a restaurant, but found it more relaxed at the school, as we could set up photo tables, spread out, play our own music, stay as long as we wanted, etc.  Downside was we had to clean up ourselves.  Lol

• Love 6

Good point about the tracker.  It’s actually illegal in some states.  

I wish they didn’t convolute Regina’s mother’s story with repressed memories.  That issue is very controversial.  I doubt these writers know what there’re talking about.  It seem like teens are writing this stuff.  So ill conceived and juvenile.  🤨

• Love 6
1 minute ago, KaveDweller said:

Do people actually have HS reunions in their old school? Mine have all been out at restaurants. I didn't even think you were allowed to serve alcohol on a public school property, but maybe that is not right.

I've never been to any of my HS reunions, but the last one I heard about was at a restaurant down the street from me. (If I wanted to go, I could have walked there.) Only in TVland are people able to just wander around schools (I realize it wasn't in session, but still).

The only HS reunion I've been to was my mom's 40th (like ~20 years ago; my dad had a cold so I went instead...I'll bet I had more fun meeting my mom's old classmates than I would have hanging out with mine...seeing my tiny 5'1" mom listed as "most athletic" on the yearbook pages they had turned into posters, as a basketball player, was a hoot, and shows how much things have changed when it comes to girls' sports); that was at a restaurant with a big event room.

Also, didn't Katherine's mother say she was making Theo breakfast when K was getting ready to leave? Who does a reunion in the morning? All the ones I've heard about have been dinners, except my college 20 year, which was in a tent set up on campus during homecoming weekend where people could just come hang out whenever during the day while a bunch of other stuff was also going on. My 25th is this year; I got a card about it in the mail today and I think they're doing something similar (I skimmed it but think I left it in the car).

I have a hard time caring about Regina and her parents. All they do is bicker and it's boring. Giving her tragic repressed memories is just too soap opera to make me care now.

• Love 1

Yeah….repressed memories?  I’m no expert, but have read a lot about it.  I actually think I have some, but it’s controversial with professionals if they are real.  I’ve had enough of Regina’s parents feud.  Please.  For a minute, I thought Gina’s mom was going to announce that she was gay. Lol. With the writers of this show, it’s entirely possible.  

And why is Regina getting a food truck?  I thought she was renting space to prepare her catered food.  Do people who hire caterers really want a food truck in their driveway?  Gina just seems to be all over the place with her food service dreams.  

We switched to having our school reunion at lunch for various reasons.  It worked out great. Casual dress and dining. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

For a minute, I thought Gina’s mom was going to announce that she was gay. Lol. With the writers of this show, it’s entirely possible.  

Heh, I thought the same thing,

3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

And why is Regina getting a food truck?  I thought she was renting space to prepare her catered food.  Do people who hire caterers really want a food truck in their driveway?  Gina just seems to be all over the place with her food service dreams.  

Her dad took the truck for a test drive to surprise her with the idea and they went for it. But it's still supposed to be a catering business? No way they could cater something like Maggie's birthday party out of a food truck (though I also question the idea that they did it out of her home kitchen with a residential oven and stove). And where is what'shername who she was supposed to be starting this with before dad came along?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I've never been to any of my HS reunions, but the last one I heard about was at a restaurant down the street from me. (If I wanted to go, I could have walked there.) Only in TVland are people able to just wander around schools (I realize it wasn't in session, but still).

I was in a school play that we rehearsed for in the evening.  I took advantage of only having a small part to wander around the empty school when I knew I wouldn't be called on.  The best part was going into the (stinky from cigarette smoke) teachers' lounge.

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 1
(edited)

What teenage kid (Danny) has ever, ever left their phone on the table with an adult sitting right there (who can grab it before it needs to be password re-activated)?

Edited by Leeds
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Leeds said:

I was in a school play that rehearsed in the evening.  I took advantage of only having a small part to wander around the empty school when I knew I wouldn't be called on.  The best part was going into the (stinky from cigarette smoke) teachers' lounge.

A friend of mine and I in fourth grade got sent to the teacher's lounge almost every day to get our teacher a soda...a Tab, just to date myself a bit (fourth grade was 1984-5). It was fun.

• Love 1
(edited)

I like humor, but all those shenanigans when the show first started between Gary and Maggie….so weird.  I guess the writers were trying to show that they are a fun loving couple.  Those gotcha moments between lovers are so hysterical.  So, they don’t work?  This was a weekday, right?  The doctor’s offices were open.  And, hey let’s get the doctor in on it…..yeah.  Teen script writers for sure.  

I checked about the writer for this episode and posted on the media thread.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Katherine’s acting at the school reunion was strange…..what attorney steals from their high school?  She could be prosecuted and disbarred for stuff like that. Not funny, imo.   What about the other students who’s name was on that plaque?  And what a way to announce you’re a lesbian…kissing your girlfriend?  Wouldn’t a private talk work better?  Why are their writing Katherine’s character as being so irrational?  

11 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I guess we were supposed to think Katharine stealing the plaque was funny, but I thought it was kind of a crappy thing to do. There was plenty of other fun rebellious things she could have done. Also, I know her mom was rude about the tattoo and Greta, but kissing Greta as an announcement seemed a bit immature.

Once again we have a main character committing a criminal act with no consequences.  So Katherine has to steal and damage school property so she can feel edgy.  Utterly ridiculous that she would jeopardize her career for "kicks".  And rather than have an adult conversation with her mother, has to kiss Greta.  Greta is so self-consciously edgy which seems a bit much for her age and Katherine apparently wants to be just like her.  

This has often been mentioned, but does Gary ever work?  It's a weekday and he's lounging around playing idiot games with his girlfriend. 

I don't understand how Gina is going to run a catering business from a food truck.  I don't know why she needs to involve herself with the relationship between her parents.  Can't she just deal with each as an individual?

• Love 10

It was an okay episode, even though there were parts I hated. 

A bit of character assassination for Katherine, there. Seriously? So her lover and the man her mom wants her to have did stupid things in high school - this isn't high school, for goodness sake. I hated that - and wonder if her mom has a right to not like girlfriend  - she's a bad influence (even if she didn't prompt Katherine to action). And use your damn grown up words - don't go for shock value on an important step in your relationship with your mom.

11 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Not a fan of Gary stalking his girlfriend by planting a tracker on her, all for a "game". No, show, that's hella creepy and not cute in any way. I don't care if Maggie thought it was cute. You don't teach your audience that planting a tracker on their significant others is ok if it's presented as a game.

Yeah, that really bugged me, that's stalker behavior, not cute at all.

And their "Made you Look" was a reference to Danny bringing home the wrong dog. Was that a wink or a screw you to the viewers?

I was glad that Rome backed off of his slash and burn plans, and spoke directly to the dean. Which I think was fair. Maybe the old fart will learn something.

I actually liked the dynamic between Regina's parents and the backstory they put on it. There is generational abuse, and the only reason I can think of someone allowing their kids to be alone with someone who abused them is that they are in denial, are cowed into submission, or are raised in a family where appearances are the most important thing. So I think it could have some interesting discussions (though with this show...who knows.) I also think her coming to terms with this is a relatively new thing for her.

As for Gary's lump - I don't think it will be a false alarm. Not looking forward to that story, though.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

All very good points! What if someone was passing by and decided to report the incident?  Could have gotten very, very messy. Also, it will probably cost the school several hundred dollars to replace the plaque and display case.

If Katherine is any type of decent person she should make an anonymous donation to the school to cover the cost of damages. Hey Lawyer-Lady, stealing just ain't cool. And, it's against the Law.

Katherine was quickly becoming my favorite character (even with Eddie's ongoing redemption) but now I'm not so sure.

1 hour ago, Suzn said:

Once again we have a main character committing a criminal act with no consequences.  So Katherine has to steal and damage school property so she can feel edgy.

That's one of the biggest problems with these entitled, self-absorbed, self-indulgent characters. Every time they get away with a stunt like that, it only emboldens them to do even worse stuff. At least Rome had a late epiphany and decided to abandon his smash-and-burn mission.

• Love 8

I am very relieved that Rome decided to focus on his friend in his speech and confronted the Dean one on one, him putting the guy on blast in front of everyone after his old friend brought him in would have been a bad look. 

Oh how funny, Maggie brought him a different dog that isn't Colin, except not! Just like they did to that poor old lady, but that was for real! Dognapping is so cute and funny, consequences are for people that aren't main characters! These people have way too much time on their hands if they can spend all day stalking each other other for the point of a stupid bunch of jokes, including Gary putting a tracker on his girlfriend, because that's not creepy or anything. I have been expecting Gary to get a cancer scare since Maggie officially went into remission, I would say that this will just be a scare because no way would they have us do a whole other cancer story after we did all that stuff with Maggie, but its this show so I wouldn't be surprised. 

Speaking of our heroes being jackasses who never have to face consequences, what the hell was going on with Katherine? I count on her to be one of the only voices of reason around here, but now she's stealing stuff and accidently breaking glad then laughing about it at her high school reunion and telling her mom she's bisexual by making out with her girlfriend while giggling like an idiot the whole time? I have not really been a fan of this story in general, both because I am still salty they blew up Eddie/Katherine for cheap drama and because it feels like more awkward tokenism and not a real interest in exploring Katherine's sexuality, but this is definitely the worst its been. Katherine is willing to possibly get disbarred for some silly act of teenage rebellion she never did in high school? Laughs off destroying property that some poor maintenance person will have to deal with? Makes out with her girlfriend instead of coming out to her mom like an adult? Greta trying WAY too hard to be too cool for school? I am having horrible Miranda during this season of Sex and the City flashbacks...

I am not really here for more Regina family drama, the whole situation with them feels so weird. Her mom just let her dad think that she was having an affair for years, and let Regina think that he did? I am also kind of side eyeing all of the suppressed memory stuff, I know its a controversial topic and I wish they had just avoided it. It also seems to take away from what could be an interesting discussion about abuse and how victims can sometimes feel too traumatized and scared to stop the abuse from happening to other family members and how much its fair to blame them for that, there are interesting ideas here but I don't really think that they are going to do much with it. 

• Love 9
(edited)

This show thinks Maggie and Gary are adorable, We know this because every single character tells us how happy they are that Maggie and Gary reunited. Fine. The part that drives me crazy is how Maggie and Gary themselves think they are adorable and that everyone else wants to take part in their infantile games. Also, I'm calling the Darcy mention as foreshadowing. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought back Darcy for an episode just so she could react to Katherine's changes.

One thing I liked about this episode was Eddie and Anna. I like how they are being honest with each other as they try and figure out their physical relationship. Their honesty and maturity was refreshing especially when contrasted with Maggie and Gary.

I don't know anything about coming out so I don't want to pretend that I know the "right" way but I feel like Katherine blindsided her mom and then kissed Greta out of spite. I really don't react well to scenarios where someone uses another person as a weapon against their family. Greta didn't deserve to be put in that situation.

Nice acting from Mario Van Peebles. His "you let him around our daughter?!" reaction was painful but it made sense. Dude just learned that everything he believed about why his marriage and family fell apart was a lie. You could see the gut punch of what that realization was doing to him.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 13

3 hours ago, marceline said:

Maggie and Gary themselves think they are adorable and that everyone else wants to take part in their infantile games.

I would LOVE love love it if the writers had a single character “nope-ing” out rather than enabling it.  “Yeah, it’s really cool that you guys have this fun game but I have a job to get back to, so I’m gonna take a pass on participating.”

I would normally choose Katherine as the voice of reason but her character has been assassinated of late as well, so…

If Katherine is all stuck in high school, Gary and Maggie are stuck in middle school.

Co-signing what everyone else has said:

Stalking your girlfriend for the sake of your dumb game?  Still stalking!

Making a joke about Danny bringing home the wrong dog when you yourself perpetuated a switched dog dognapping?  Super not funny and gross!

Choosing to come out to your mother by making out with your girlfriend in front of her?  Super tacky!

People with head injuries often have changes in personalities and behavior, if the writers ever wanted to justify Katherine’s complete 180.  I was fine when it was initially “I’m curious and want to see what’s out there,” but now that it’s devolved to, as the meme says, “be gay, do crime!,” I need better writing.

Also, didn’t the previous episodes make it seem like Rome was screening his film in front of the *entire* school?  There were maybe two dozen people and a LOT of empty seats in that auditorium.

I thought the Anna and Eddie thing was handled relatively well but did the writers actually consult a urologist?  The complaint was that he couldn’t finish (hence the gag of Anna saying “I wasn’t sure if you’d come”) — being able to get an erection and being able to climax are two entirely different things and his bottle of Viagra might help the former but wouldn’t necessarily do anything to fix the latter.

My favorite part of this episode was when Gary followed Maggie to the fertility clinic and Maggie has backed her car into a spot that no reasonable person would back into just so the giant Lexus Logo was facing camera.  Truly a great moment in product placement.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

So, Maggie accepted the big car from her big boss huh, no surprise! 🙄

Can Rome be considered as a successful Hollywood director? Nah, I don’t think so! It seems like this is just a small screening, why making the big deal out of it? I really hope this is the end of the racism arc.

Why TPTB needs to ruin Katherine’s character this way? Why? 🤦🏻‍♀️

Don’t really care about Gina’s business and personal dramas but I like the last scene between her parents. It’s time for Shelly to take some accountability on some of her poor decisions.

Told ya! Gary’s cancer scare is crucial for his redemption arc. They need it for Sophie to finally forgive her Uncle Gary…🙄

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Lethallyfab said:

I thought the Anna and Eddie thing was handled relatively well but did the writers actually consult a urologist?  The complaint was that he couldn’t finish (hence the gag of Anna saying “I wasn’t sure if you’d come”) — being able to get an erection and being able to climax are two entirely different things and his bottle of Viagra might help the former but wouldn’t necessarily do anything to fix the latter.

Also, abnormal ejaculation and anorgasmia are both listed as rare (reported in <2% of patients in clinical trials) adverse effects on the Viagra package insert, so now I have *that* in my search history.  You are all welcome.

All kidding aside, I actually got the impression from the tortured "train/station" metaphor that Eddie may have lost some of his, urm, "enthusiasm," leading to neither party being satisfied.  Which, I mean, uh, Ed?  Your hands still work, and I'm assuming Anna wasn't out of reach, right??  There are other ways to make the lady happy, I'm just sayin'.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

So, after thinking about this show today--

I still will put it in the category of mostly like, because I was very happy that at least Maggie doesn't have to get pregnant right away, and Rome changed his mind about calling out the dean in front of everybody.

But, even while watching it, thought putting a tracker on Maggie was gross. And thought this juvenile game was just that--juvenile.

I get Katherine's thing about "You had fun in high school, and I didn't!" I get that. But, as others have pointed out, that didn't justify her in stealing and vandalism. And the making out with your girlfriend in front of your mother is super tacky and juvenile.

(Hey, I think we have a word to describe this episode!)

And, yeah, I noticed that the oncologist said how happy he was about Maggie and Gary being back together, and I rolled my eyes. How I Met Your Mother all over again. 

With Gary--I think his cancer has returned. I don't think this show can understand the concept of "cancer scare" because it has to inject more melodrama into everything. With a scare, the writers really don't have a place to go. With cancer returning, they can can have a end-of-season cliffhanger with Gary on death's door.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

1 hour ago, Lovecat said:

Also, abnormal ejaculation and anorgasmia are both listed as rare (reported in <2% of patients in clinical trials) adverse effects on the Viagra package insert, so now I have *that* in my search history.  You are all welcome.

All kidding aside, I actually got the impression from the tortured "train/station" metaphor that Eddie may have lost some of his, urm, "enthusiasm," leading to neither party being satisfied.  Which, I mean, uh, Ed?  Your hands still work, and I'm assuming Anna wasn't out of reach, right??  There are other ways to make the lady happy, I'm just sayin'.

All the conversation around the Eddie/Anna sex left me confused. So many metaphors and coded conversation. 

My favorite part of this episode was when Gary followed Maggie to the fertility clinic and Maggie has backed her car into a spot that no reasonable person would back into just so the giant Lexus Logo was facing camera.  Truly a great moment in product placement.

Is there a thread on this site for great moments in product placement because...yeah.

• Love 3

My favorites include the week where every single show on the CW (it might have been the WB/UPN at the time) was seemingly obligated to mention Microsoft’s search engine Bing, including Jenny Humphrey on Gossip Girl telling her dad, “just bing it!,” as if that’s a phrase ever uttered by a human being ever.

Alias still has “Vaughn, the F150!” Up there as an all-timer.  You are literally in the midst of a life-or-death chase, but you still have name-drop your sponsor?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, historylover820 said:

So, after thinking about this show today--

I still will put it in the category of mostly like, because I was very happy that at least Maggie doesn't have to get pregnant right away, and Rome changed his mind about calling out the dean in front of everybody.

But, even while watching it, thought putting a tracker on Maggie was gross. And thought this juvenile game was just that--juvenile.

I get Katherine's thing about "You had fun in high school, and I didn't!" I get that. But, as others have pointed out, that didn't justify her in stealing and vandalism. And the making out with your girlfriend in front of your mother is super tacky and juvenile.

(Hey, I think we have a word to describe this episode!)

And, yeah, I noticed that the oncologist said how happy he was about Maggie and Gary being back together, and I rolled my eyes. How I Met Your Mother all over again. 

With Gary--I think his cancer has returned. I don't think this show can understand the concept of "cancer scare" because it has to inject more melodrama into everything. With a scare, the writers really don't have a place to go. With cancer returning, they can can have a end-of-season cliffhanger with Gary on death's door.

Ok, so I'm not 100% certain,  but I believe a recurrence of cancer,  especially an invasive form that requires a second round of chemo, is categorized as Stage 4 or Terminal.  The discussion should have centered less around her ability to get pregnant and give birth and more about if she will survive to see her child grow up and, if not,  what the plan is considering the father is also a cancer survivor.  These shows handwaving " "cancer free" are disingenuous and frankly BS, it's pretty obnoxious in my opinion.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

Also, didn’t the previous episodes make it seem like Rome was screening his film in front of the *entire* school?  There were maybe two dozen people and a LOT of empty seats in that auditorium.

I thought the same thing. I am assuming they had some Covid restrictions in filming, but it really took me out of the scene. They made it seem like it was this huge deal to show to so many people, but it looked like it was some optional thing and almost no one showed up.

I did like that Rome changed his plan and didn't make a big scene, but still was able to say something to the teacher privately. If the teacher hadn't been an ass that day, I might have thought Rome should act differently. But the comments about being good for donations and wanting to take credit for his success was pretty obnoxious. 

• Love 5
(edited)
7 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

Ok, so I'm not 100% certain,  but I believe a recurrence of cancer,  especially an invasive form that requires a second round of chemo, is categorized as Stage 4 or Terminal.  The discussion should have centered less around her ability to get pregnant and give birth and more about if she will survive to see her child grow up and, if not,  what the plan is considering the father is also a cancer survivor.  These shows handwaving " "cancer free" are disingenuous and frankly BS, it's pretty obnoxious in my opinion.  

What qualifies as stage four or terminal depends a lot on the type of cancer.  But being recurrent and requiring surgery does not make breast cancer stage IV.  For breast cancer to be stage four it has to have spread to other organs or distant lymph nodes.   That can be diagnosed with first diagnosis or with recurrences.  Stage 4/metastatic breast cancer is not at this time curable but it is treatable. 

Stage III breast cancer can include invasive tumors that make their way into the chest cavity and nearby lymph nodes.  These cancers would be considered invasive and require aggressive treatment.   And while there is a larger concern that this type of cancer could recur it is still considered curable.   It would be up to every individual person to decide if the risk of recurrence was worth considering future fertility.  Personally having lost a parent at a young age I would be less inclined to consider having a child but other people would make other choices and I don't think there is an inherently right or wrong choice in this stuation.

Gary especially has taken a pretty active role in raising other peoples children and so I could see him feeling that his friend group would step up for him the way he has stepped up for his friend group... or I could see him taking this next scare as an ,"OMG, this is nothing but it could have been.  Are we comfortable brining a child into the world who is genetically a ticking time bomb of cancer cells and who may need to be raised by our friends..."  Either of these choices feels fine to me so long as they go into them with eyes wide open.

Edited by bybrandy
  • Love 3

I forgot to mention Theo’s career aspirations are wanting to be “the first surgeon in space.”  How old is this kid supposed to be, again?  I guess that’s more realistic these days thanks to Musk and Bezo’s jaunts, but it just came off as excessively little kid-ish.

• Love 4

Yeah, Maggie is still very much in the "curable" stage, but at the same time, the show is downplaying the risks by about a gazillion percent. There is no way that Maggie's doctor would say that she is a "perfectly healthy 30-year-old woman," because the doctor would obviously know that, while Maggie very well COULD be "cured," she would also very much be at risk of having another recurrence at pretty much any moment (the joke is "The only way you're ever truly cured of breast cancer is when you die from something else," and that goes double for a woman like Maggie who has had a recurrence before she was even 30 years old. 

So yes, as @bybrandy so eloquently noted, there obviously ARE people who very much WOULD have a kid here and that's a TOTALLY reasonable plotline (I know a guy whose wife was one of those people who put off her treatment for her cancer because she was diagnosed while pregnant and she died soon after giving birth, but obviously, that was HER choice, and that's fine. She felt that having a baby was worth that risk. That's totally fine if it's her choice), but the show is definitely downplaying things big time and also, while this is much more speculative than anything, I call BS on her cancer not being estrogen-positive. Dollars to donuts that's a retcon to make this plot more feasible. 

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lethallyfab said:

I forgot to mention Theo’s career aspirations are wanting to be “the first surgeon in space.”  How old is this kid supposed to be, again?  I guess that’s more realistic these days thanks to Musk and Bezo’s jaunts, but it just came off as excessively little kid-ish.

There have been plenty of surgeons in space.  My mom's orthopedic surgeon was an astronaut.  He was also a chemical engineer and a licensed medical examiner.. which I think makes him uniquely qualified to solve crimes in space and if I ever write a novel he's totally going to be a character... the fact that he's only said 12 words to me in the 7 years that my mom's been a patient?  Meh.  I can work with it.  (He did laugh really, really, really hard at me when in response to "do you have any further questions" immediately after he came to speak to me after he did his first surgery on my mom I said, "Did you do any bone experiments in space?")  

Theo's dream, however, is to be the first surgeon on the moon and at 12 I don't think that's too old to have a crazy space dream.  But I know lots of people who have applied to the space program.  Part of a theoretical mission to mars is a theoretical moon base and somebody has to man it.  At 12 I wanted to be a supreme court justice.  

Edited by bybrandy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 4/7/2022 at 12:04 AM, ams1001 said:

No way they could cater something like Maggie's birthday party out of a food truck (though I also question the idea that they did it out of her home kitchen with a residential oven and stove). And where is what'shername who she was supposed to be starting this with before dad came along?

My friend's parents had a catering business out of their house. Catered large weddings. They made all the food at home, then either baked or re-warmed stuff at the event location. So it can be done. mind you I'm not talking about sit-down meals. I think they mostly did buffets. A food truck would help keep food warm from the trip from kitchen to site.

14 hours ago, historylover820 said:

I think most people 25 years out come to peace with their high school years. The HS nerds are now the lawyers, doctors, accountants, making the trade of not being super-involved in HS hijinks worth it.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Told ya! Gary’s cancer scare is crucial for his redemption arc. They need it for Sophie to finally forgive her Uncle Gary…🙄

15 hours ago, historylover820 said:

With cancer returning, they can can have a end-of-season cliffhanger with Gary on death's door.

I think it's going to be a scare for the reason SNAZZYDAISY stated, and I think the season ending cliffhanger is going to be Eddie moving his big toe (the, uhh, other big toe, not the one from this ep :D ).

• LOL 3
11 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

They seem to always make time for Theo to sound like an eight year old (if not younger).  I cringe when I see him.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, smartymarty said:

My friend's parents had a catering business out of their house. Catered large weddings. They made all the food at home, then either baked or re-warmed stuff at the event location. So it can be done. mind you I'm not talking about sit-down meals. I think they mostly did buffets. A food truck would help keep food warm from the trip from kitchen to site.

My understanding was that the food would be prepared in the food truck.

• Love 1

It would have made sense if Katherine danced like a maniac with her girlfriend, became the night’s karaoke star, or told some raunchy jokes - but breaking the law in such a juvenile move and then failing to own up to the damage was ridiculous for an attorney who needs to keep her job.

And cancer again?!

If the producers and writers are out of good ideas - the show is over!

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Suzn said:

Yes. They got it because Regina thought she couldn't keep doing big catering jobs in her small home kitchen. Surely a tiny food truck is the perfect solution for that.

1 hour ago, bybrandy said:

THeo doesn't bug me as much as he does some people but I don't understand why they made him older when clearly they wanted him to to be younger.  

I think they may have originally planned for him to be younger, and then changed it so his birth was the trigger for Eddie getting sober. And they'd already said he was sober for X years and realized they needed to say Theo was 10, even though they'd been writing him as 7/8. But they could start writing him more mature now, especially since kids mature a lot between 10 and 12.

• Love 3

I look at how they portray Theo a little differently, since reading about the childhood of the writer/producer.  There’s a link about it on the media thread.  It explains the reason behind Eddie’s disability, though the Theo infantilism is still a mystery.  

• Love 2
(edited)
22 hours ago, Suzn said:

That’s what I thought, except that it’s not very feasible.  I suppose you could do some food service from a truck, like making individual burgers, tacos, fries, hot dogs, etc.  However, for regular catering, you must prepare food in advance. You need room for large pots, multiple ovens, and room to keep things like plates, glassware, tablecloths, etc.  And, you need plenty of space to lay out your food as you put it in containers in order to transport it to the venue.  I hope it works out for her.  Despite not knowing much about their craft, Regina and Rome seem to always land on their feet.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
(edited)
47 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I look at how they portray Theo a little differently, since reading about the childhood of the writer/producer.  There’s a link about it on the media thread.  It explains the reason behind Eddie’s disability, though the Theo infantilism is still a mystery.  

They’ve been portraying Theo as a widdle bitty baby since day one, back when they thought Katherine was going to be a hard unfeeling lawyer from episode 1 at the funeral. 

Edited by OpalNightstream
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3