Type keyword(s) to search

RW Homecoming: New Orleans (2022)

• Start Topic

I'll be very curious to see if this week's episode picks back up with "Who Said That".

I dug my copy of the book out this weekend and had forgotten just how brutal some of it is. I couldn't agree more with everything that @Asp Burger had to say about Jamie and his smugness. I had also forgotten how judgmental Matt came off in the book, particularly towards Kelley which I always found strange because I barely remember them interacting.

I'd also love if they brought up in the book where Kelley shared that early in filming, Julie claimed that Melissa had been nasty about Kelley behind her back. I think it came out after that Julie allegedly fed the same story to Melissa, and essentially pitted Kelley and Melissa against each other the whole season. Although I'm sure, like the emails, Julie would magically have no recollection of that ever happening.

Here's the quote, in case anyone's curious:

Melissa thinks I'm just fabricating an uneasiness between her and me. But what happened between us started three or four weeks into the season. Melissa and Julie were at Wal-Mart (where the cameras didn't have permission to film), and Melissa told Julie she wanted me to go down––whatever that means. Julie told me this, and I believe her. Julie told me Melissa said: "I don't care what Kelley does, I'm not going to like her." It was an "I'm out for blood" type conversation.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

It's not that I ever want bad things to happen to people on Real World, even when I don't like them, but maybe Soulgear not shooting into the stratosphere was good growth for him. That's keeping in mind that "failure" for a Jamie is always going to be a softer landing than it is for a lot of the rest of us.

That's part of what makes Jamie so likeable - there's this feeling that nothing too bad is ever going to happen to him. He talked on his podcast about his realization one day that he was 35 and still single, still acting like he did in his twenties, but then he immediately finds someone to marry and start a family with. Problem solved. I feel like that is how most of his life goes. He just keeps swanning along. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TwoBitUsherette said:.

I'd also love if they brought up in the book where Kelley shared that early in filming, Julie claimed that Melissa had been nasty about Kelley behind her back. I think it came out after that Julie allegedly fed the same story to Melissa, and essentially pitted Kelley and Melissa against each other the whole season. Although I'm sure, like the emails, Julie would magically have no recollection of that ever happening.

Here's the quote, in case anyone's curious:

This kind of behavior is why I don’t think Julie’s just putting on an act as a reality tv villain. She genuinely likes to cause chaos and strife. I feel certain she must do this in her off-tv personal life too. Super curious about her husband and what he’s like. 

• Love 3

A new Danny interview posted Monday. Discussion of Homecoming negotiations, Matt's having "doubled down" on the kind of person he was 22 years ago, Julie's pathological narcissism (there's clearly no love there), the production contrivances of Paul's visit and the bar scene, favorite spots in New Orleans.

He doesn't spoil anything to come (he hasn't seen the final edit beyond what we've seen so far), but he teases a little, in a way that makes me even more eager to see the remaining episodes.

• Love 1

That was an interesting interview. Melissa responded to the interview via Twitter taking exception with a few of Danny's takes, namely his claims that no producers or security guards were asking them to leave (he said it was just three straight people wanting to leave a drag show because Julie was acting too drunk), and that Tokyo hadn't changed as much as it would appear he has (she says that he came in open and then put his guards back up after the Julie incident).  Danny also says that there was a scene where Tokyo physically tried to remove him that did not make the show. We all knew that the Paul situation was staged and forced, but I didn't realize that Danny really had no choice in the matter-Danny was still resisting and then he realized that they were going to fly Paul in no matter what, and that Paul was "too much of a narcissist to resist."

Danny annoyed me in the interview trying to throw Jamie, Tokyo and Melissa under the bus that they didn't want to stay because they are straight and it was drag queens. If he wants to say that about Matt or Kelley who didn't go that is fine. I got the vibe from the three who went that they were having fun, but once someone gets that drunk it ruins the fun for everyone. Also, Danny was pretty drunk that night and had to be taken care of by Melissa and Kelley. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, racked said:

Considering how drunk Danny was, I’m going to trust Melissa’s take on what happened that night. 

Yeah, she nursed a drink or two and passed the shots off to other people.  I don't remember if Tokyo was drinking at all, but if he was, he seemed like her - not even buzzed.  Julie was hammered, Danny was quite drunk, and Jamie was pleasantly drunk, is how it played to me.

6 hours ago, BelleBrit said:

(she says that he came in open and then put his guards back up after the Julie incident).

This hurts my heart.  Of course he did.  He took such a deliberate hard look at how he conducted himself the first time, realized what he missed out on because of that, and came in with such a different attitude it was nearly a palpable entity.  And then that narcissistic loon ruined it. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, BelleBrit said:

That was an interesting interview. Melissa responded to the interview via Twitter taking exception with a few of Danny's takes

Melissa's entire thread is a great read.  Gah! I just love how well she communicates and synthesizes information.  She just lays it out, no bullshit but with a fairness and a maturity. She isn't trying to throw anyone under a bus and doesn't dismiss anyone's perspective.

• Love 2

I don't really understand Danny wanting to confront Matt and Julie (until he found out she wasn't religious anymore) over religious dogma from his parents that he keeps mentioning in his interviews. I have no issue with him wanting to confront Matt over things Matt did/said or used his platform that MTV gave him. Maybe I'm misunderstanding Danny, but I don't think Matt is responsible for the shitty things Danny experienced growing up or what happened in his hometown. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/21/2022 at 8:04 PM, Asp Burger said:

I think of Matt as a person who has very different beliefs from mine, and his ideal version of America and the world would not be one I would want to see as reality, but he's fundamentally decent and sincere.

He’s not fundamentally a decent person when he thinks being gay is a choice basically and would be ECSTATIC living in that world, let me just say he can think ANYTHING he wants but the moment he and people like him start ACTIVELY trying to legislate those thoughts into laws such as people like us just living our lives is a crime or a mental defect and is Working to treat and classify us as not even people but as “groomers” or as sexual “deviants”. I’m amazed his head didn’t explode when he found out Danny had a child 

Has someone homosexual I don’t have the luxury of giving him or really people like him the benefit of the doubt unfortunately because they don’t even see us has people really or as human like them. (They may smile and nod and interact with us but inside they are screaming and thinking these things) and would have no problem if we were being carried away to jail or some mental hospital tomorrow just for being gay.(and are right at this moment trying to make some form of that happen)

No because we’re gay we are a other and a other is a “threat” that must be squashed … and that scares the hell out of me for the little gay boy in Tennessee (me) who remembers what it was like in that small town surrounded by people who thought like him 

sorry I get a little bit passionate about this … 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 13
On 5/23/2022 at 1:23 PM, Asp Burger said:

Thinking about Jamie, I think the reason I like him better in the Homecoming season is that he's lost the smugness. Back in 2000, he was defensive about his privilege (right from the clash with Kameelah in the casting special), yet he kept bringing up driving a BMW, and if anyone had a problem with him, he ascribed it to jealousy and people wanting to see him fail. In the book, he keeps talking about which housemates he would hire for his company or were going to be working for him, his dad would give David a job, etc. He was a little too into an idea of himself as a "scion" for whom everything was going to go well. 

It's not that I ever want bad things to happen to people on Real World, even when I don't like them, but maybe Soulgear not shooting into the stratosphere was good growth for him. That's keeping in mind that "failure" for a Jamie is always going to be a softer landing than it is for a lot of the rest of us.

That's hysterical, I had totally forgotten "Soulgear" was ever a thing, but yeah, the uber wealthy kid into 'extreme sports' (which I've noted is code for people who've never felt any actual danger or fear from their real lives, they're always eager to jump off that cliff or whatever because their lives have been so soft) assuming that he was about to hit it big in the about-to-fail dot.com era is such an interesting snapshot of that time. 

Re: the Matt/Danny discussion, the best corollary I can come up with is from my own family where we were raised Catholic but one sibling converted to Islam and another converted to a born-again Christian sect of some sort. They are diametrically opposed in their beliefs and if you were to sit one or the other of them down and directly ask them if they felt the other was "sinning," they would both have to answer yes if they were following their beliefs to the letter, but they bear no personal animosity toward the other. There is a deliberate avoidance of the topic of religion between them for that reason and I don't think that's a bad thing.

• Love 4

That conversation didn't ultimately go very far, I guess because no real progress is forthcoming on Matt's side.  If you seriously can't migrate towards an lgbtq-inclusive version of your religion in 2022 (or just think for yourself!) then that is a choice you're consciously making to perpetuate phobia. 

Matt homeschools his kids and no doubt the curriculum is based in his very conservative form of catholicism, which is sad; none of the roommates asked him on screen what would happen if one of his kids was LGBTQ, but I'm sure it would be very difficult for them, being taught it was a sin and probably never meeting anyone outside Matt's fundi Catholic bubble.

Julie is disgusting, and she's still 'making tv' like a guest on Jerry Springer back in the day. It's transparent and fucking pathetic, right down to that poorly acted/written conversation where her husband who had no business being in the house at all, was supposed to be upset about some playlist; bullshit. 

This trash is not what I came for, I'd rather watch Melissa, Danny, and Kelly go on picnics for right episodes.  I can understand why Kelly feels so uncomfortable in the house with Julie creating fake drama all the time. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I am still finding this series hugely enjoyable, even with the Julie factor(s). When I pause it and see that I still have 20 minutes to go in an episode, I'm happy about it. I'll miss it when it's over. Only two more episodes, I guess? I think we've seen almost everything that was in the trailer now, except the "Come On Be My Baby Tonight" singalong, and that's next week.  

Julie to Spencer: "You can just sit there. I say all the stuff." There should be a T-shirt with a picture of her, reading, "I say all the stuff."  

And after the "all-Julie and her faith" clip package ran, of course she had to say that she "really enjoyed" that one.  

4 hours ago, Glade said:

none of the roommates asked [Matt] on screen what would happen if one of his kids was LGBTQ

I was thinking about that the other day. I mean, they have six and they may not even be done, so the statistical probability is high.

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 1
(edited)

The opening conversation wasn't productive and I finally understood were Danny was coming from in these interviews bringing up his parents in relation to Matt's views. I do find Matt very frustrating because I don't think he is a bad person at his core and I do think he gets were Danny is coming from, but he is so insistent on hiding behind his religion as a crutch it makes those good qualities disappear. I also did not like Tokyo jumping in because while I do see Matt's struggles it really isn't Tokyo's place to tell Danny to give Matt grace when Matt doesn't deserve it from Danny. On a shallow note Danny looked completely stoned during that conversation so good for him. 

I do think this episode finally made me understood why Kelley/Melissa have been saying nice things about Matt in interviews they seem to have bonded with him over some of the uncomfortableness Julie has brought. I am not married, but I would find Julie very uncomfortable to live with. There is no reason to bring up a random girl Matt liked 20 years ago and basically ask him why did you like her, but not me plus she was black. I didn't really like Danny dismissing Kelley's concerns by saying by there is no reason anyone should feel uncomfortable. If Kelley feels uncomfortable she has every right to feel that way. I think that what sort of bugs me about Danny this time around he doesn't seem to get people might think the exact way he does and just because he finds Julie amusing in a train wreck way doesn't mean everyone else does and that is okay!

Oh Spencer. I sort of liked him, but I don't know what to think. Part of me doesn't believe he was on the phone during that argument and Julie was doing that for the cameras. I did find the conversation about Julie leaving the mormon church very interesting. The Jamie/Julie scenes were very uncomfortable to watch. 

I liked the Matt/Danny conversation not sure if they came to an agreement or not. I get what Danny said that sometimes you feel a kinship with people who were raised in the same area as you. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 3
(edited)

Matt telling Julie "I dont think we should shy away from apologizing" with the gay issue... FUCK you Matt... because you arnt meaning the apology you are saying it to brush the the questions aside you are doing it for yourself NOT the other person...Then trying to flip it so its NOW attacking the "church kid"(you arnt a kid MATT)and calling it RUTHLESS (hmm think of what Danny has had to deal with his whole life with ass hats like you telling him being gay is a choice he is making and just pray hard for God to fix him) the difference Matt is YOURS is a choice Dannys ISNT (sexual orientation IS NOT A CHOICE)......STOP THAT...... what a fucking dick I can't 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 3
(edited)

we are married I dont wanna discuss who I might have hooked up with 20 years ago we are in our 40s ... that's the whole fucking point of you being there is to discuss EVERYTHING ... to be faced with your hyperbolic hypocrites and being shown you were just as "sexual" but NOW you are married its off limits is so fucking stupid just admit you are embarrassed and move on dont try to pull this We are in our 40s and married bullshit to get out of it

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 3
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

we are married I dont wanna discuss who I might have hooked up with 20 years ago we are in our 40s ... that's the whole fucking point of you being there is to discuss EVERYTHING ... to be faced with your hyperbolic hypocrites and being shown you were just as "sexual" but NOW you are married its off limits is so fucking stupid just admit you are embarrassed and move on dont try to pull this We are in our 40s and married bullshit to get out of it

My issue was the way Julie asked the question why did you like a black girl instead of me was not the way to approach that conversation with racist undretones and then say what she about asking Matt to compare her to Matt's wife. Yeah no. I would have walked away from that conversation. 

If she had asked Matt why didn't you like me like I liked you? I would have much less of an issue with that conversation. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 4
(edited)
4 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

My issue was the way Julie asked the question why did you like a black girl instead of me was not the way to approach that conversation with racist undretones and then say what she about asking Matt to compare her to Matt's wife. Yeah no. I would have walked away from that conversation. 

If she had asked Matt why didn't you like me like I liked you? I would have much less of an issue with that conversation. 

But that’s not the reason he walked away. He got caught in a lie (I wasn’t looking for anything) when he should have just said I didn’t want to hook up with you… and yes Julie stepped in it completely with that racist “black” girl comment 100% 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

But that’s not the reason he walked away. He got caught in a lie (I wasn’t looking for anything) when he should have just said I didn’t want to hook up with you… and yes Julie stepped in it completely with that racist “black” girl comment 100% 

Funny because when he said that my mind went to oh he didn't want to hook up with a roommate, but I see from what you said he didn't make that very clear. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Funny because when he said that my mind went to oh he didn't want to hook up with a roommate, but I see from what you said he didn't make that very clear. 

that's what bugs me about Matt he always skirts around the answer instead of addressing it directly .... and that's what was giving Julie her go to .. cause he was skirting around it and saying he didn't want to "hook up" while he was there and on tv because it be to much then she brought up well there was a girl then he changed his story again instead of just saying I didn't want to hook up with a roommate or just directly I didn't want to hookup with YOU...

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

that's what bugs me about Matt he always skirts around the answer instead of addressing it directly .... and that's what was giving Julie her go to .. cause he was skirting around it and saying he didn't want to "hook up" while he was there and on tv because it be to much then she brought up well there was a girl then he changed his story again instead of just saying I didn't want to hook up with a roommate or just directly I didn't want to hookup with YOU...

I don't know if I would tell someone to their face I did not want to hook up with them so I've been guilty of that, but you are right he could have just said roommate and gotten the point across.

• Love 4

I'm going to miss this season when it's over. :-(

I agree that there are some people who could stand to be more open-minded and some who should learn to act their age and some who need to learn they don't have to be comfortable all the time (paraphrasing Julie from New York).  On the other hand, I do appreciate that with the exception of one person, this cast at least talks and tries to make their respective points without yelling and screaming and name-calling and being all dramatic.  This is how grown-ups should behave with and treat one another.  It's a refreshing change from the reality shows I normally watch (ie RHONJ).

• Love 9

God, why is Julie such a weirdo? Her attaching so much importance to her and Jamie's past is strange when they did not even date and it was 20 years ago. Unless it's all a put on to make good television.

I can see why Kelley is uncomfortable with Julie-just in that she really seems like a loose canon who is creating drama and cannot read the room-but other than that, not sure why she is making such a big deal about the "hookups" discussion since they really don't pertain to her. She is the one who was asking Jamie and Julie if they had feelings for each other and if any hookups had happened after the show. It's two weeks, not two months, and it's not like they're going to fly Peter out like they did with Paul.  But I am worried about this "hall pass" thing that Julie will be trying to force. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Last rant on this .. but that last conversation with Matt and Danny what exactly is Matt’s “compromise” in this situation? Danny is asking to be treated like a human being that’s sexuality isn’t a choice what is he asking him to compromise with that? And if Matt sits there and says Danny might have 5 issues with his religion but Matt himself has 15 issues WHY are you still part of that religion like that’s just crazy to me  

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, BelleBrit said:

God, why is Julie such a weirdo? Her attaching so much importance to her and Jamie's past is strange when they did not even date and it was 20 years ago. Unless it's all a put on to make good television.

I can see why Kelley is uncomfortable with Julie-just in that she really seems like a loose canon who is creating drama and cannot read the room-but other than that, not sure why she is making such a big deal about the "hookups" discussion since they really don't pertain to her. She is the one who was asking Jamie and Julie if they had feelings for each other and if any hookups had happened after the show. It's two weeks, not two months, and it's not like they're going to fly Peter out like they did with Paul.  But I am worried about this "hall pass" thing that Julie will be trying to force. 

She couldn't have been more obvious about trying to make her husband jealous, making sure she said Jamie's name when she was on the phone with him.

The glee and the shine in her eyes when she's stirring shit is almost pathological. Fundamentally, she hasn't changed from the person she was back then when she tried to rile up her dad and her school, etc. The huge gap in reaction between Julie and Kelley with regard to the ex-communication thing and the ripple effects on family was telling. Julie not only isn't worried about those effects, she appears to be looking forward to them. I'm guessing her nonsense is going to cause some ripple effects in Jamie's home life too, I'm not sure he was aware how bad things were going to look when all cobbled together.

I don't know what to make of her husband, I mean, he married her so something's got to be screwy with him. It was incredibly weird to have him there during the incoming message part. At least it was something he could actually discuss since it was about Julie and the church, but what if it had been something else, something more specific to the house. And setting up the outdoor sex area...doesn't Julie now have her own room since no one wants to to sleep with a grenade in the next bed? Why exactly did she need to go outdoors? Oh right, maximum attention.

But I was similarly confused by Kelley's extreme reaction to the hook up conversation, it seems like maybe there is something she did that didn't make the show and she's afraid it will come out now. I remember something from the book about Kelley having written Jamie a letter saying they should hook up and he didn't respond, maybe that's embarrassing and she doesn't want it to come up. And honestly, I wouldn't put it past the producers to try to dig up Peter the way they did Paul.

I am eagerly awaiting next week's Kelley/Julie confrontation, I'd like to see Kelley's careful facade drop just a little bit, though I understand why she keeps it up since she's got her book coming out and her career is based on making good choices.

I'm a little torn on the fact that I'm enjoying the season so much, it does feel like it's sliding in a more sensationalistic direction and Julie's drama is at an 11. But there is other enjoyable stuff in there too, I'll be sorry when this one's over.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Last rant on this .. but that last conversation with Matt and Danny what exactly is Matt’s “compromise” in this situation? Danny is asking to be treated like a human being that’s sexuality isn’t a choice what is he asking him to compromise with that? And if Matt sits there and says Danny might have 5 issues with his religion but Matt himself has 15 issues WHY are you still part of that religion like that’s just crazy to me  

That part confused me as well. I'm Jewish and granted I don't consider myself religious, but if Matt has issues with his religion why can't he pick and choose what he believes in? I know plenty of catholics who go to church and don't think sexuality is a choice. 

At least with Julie and why she left the Mormon church I can understand why that might be more difficult in that case to pick and choose. 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

She couldn't have been more obvious about trying to make her husband jealous, making sure she said Jamie's name when she was on the phone with him.

The glee and the shine in her eyes when she's stirring shit is almost pathological. Fundamentally, she hasn't changed from the person she was back then when she tried to rile up her dad and her school, etc. The huge gap in reaction between Julie and Kelley with regard to the ex-communication thing and the ripple effects on family was telling. Julie not only isn't worried about those effects, she appears to be looking forward to them. I'm guessing her nonsense is going to cause some ripple effects in Jamie's home life too, I'm not sure he was aware how bad things were going to look when all cobbled together.

I don't know what to make of her husband, I mean, he married her so something's got to be screwy with him. It was incredibly weird to have him there during the incoming message part. At least it was something he could actually discuss since it was about Julie and the church, but what if it had been something else, something more specific to the house. And setting up the outdoor sex area...doesn't Julie now have her own room since no one wants to to sleep with a grenade in the next bed? Why exactly did she need to go outdoors? Oh right, maximum attention.

But I was similarly confused by Kelley's extreme reaction to the hook up conversation, it seems like maybe there is something she did that didn't make the show and she's afraid it will come out now. I remember something from the book about Kelley having written Jamie a letter saying they should hook up and he didn't respond, maybe that's embarrassing and she doesn't want it to come up. And honestly, I wouldn't put it past the producers to try to dig up Peter the way they did Paul.

I am eagerly awaiting next week's Kelley/Julie confrontation, I'd like to see Kelley's careful facade drop just a little bit, though I understand why she keeps it up since she's got her book coming out and her career is based on making good choices.

I'm a little torn on the fact that I'm enjoying the season so much, it does feel like it's sliding in a more sensationalistic direction and Julie's drama is at an 11. But there is other enjoyable stuff in there too, I'll be sorry when this one's over.

Apparently anyone going into the house had to be tested and vaxxed and the incoming messages are somewhat scripted like they get a heads up hours beforehand. It wouldn't surprise me if production asked Julie if her husband would come down to talk about leaving the Mormon church. 

• Love 3

This is how grown-ups should behave with and treat one another.  It's a refreshing change from the reality shows I normally watch (ie RHONJ).

And like Homecoming LA. Then again, I have a feeling that group could meet up again in 30 years and still be that dysfunctional together.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

And like Homecoming LA. Then again, I have a feeling that group could meet up again in 30 years and still be that dysfunctional together.

LA was the very first season I ever watched, and I was the exact same age as the cast at the time, plus I have an affinity for the city itself, so the LA season is my guilty pleasure - I have a lot of nostalgia attached to that cast, so I'm one of the few who likes that season.  But I agree - they definitely weren't put together in hopes of playing nice and becoming friends.

I turned 40 earlier this year, so I'm around the same age as everyone on this show, and I think Julie is pathetic. I get the point of this show is to talk about things that happened 20+ years ago, but the way she talks about Jaime, a one-time hookup from 20 years ago, and her unrequited crush on Matt (who had the audacity to like a Black girl instead of her) is pitiful (and vaguely racist). Everything about Julie makes me cringe.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

I don't know what to make of her husband, I mean, he married her so something's got to be screwy with him

HAHAHA right?

1 hour ago, choclatechip45 said:

That part confused me as well. I'm Jewish and granted I don't consider myself religious, but if Matt has issues with his religion why can't he pick and choose what he believes in? I know plenty of catholics who go to church and don't think sexuality is a choice. 

I always wondered this too, I know I do that.  I take what I want and leave the weird stuff.  But apparently there are some Catholics who believe it is all or nothing.

• Love 1

Eh, not as into this as I was with LA’s reunion, not enough Melissa and Tokyo.

LOL @ Melissa during Julie talking about Mormonism….I would give my left tit to know what was going on in Melissa’s head as she looked like she could not have cared less.

Spencer is cute and so are their kiddos.

Julie, Jamie ain’t thinking about you, he’s got a lovely wife and kids.

I thought Julie waited before marriage to shimmy-sham, shocked to know she wasn’t a virgin when she married Spencer.

Am I the only one not feeling Danny?  Liked him back in 2000 but now he comes off as pompous, maybe it is his voice.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

LOL @ Melissa during Julie talking about Mormonism….I would give my left tit to know what was going on in Melissa’s head as she looked like she could not have cared less.

I thought Julie waited before marriage to shimmy-sham, shocked to know she wasn’t a virgin when she married Spencer.

Am I the only one not feeling Danny?  Liked him back in 2000 but now he comes off as pompous, maybe it is his voice.

I agree about Danny. He does seem pompous. 

3 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

The show sure isn't presenting it that way. I'm nearly positive there's creative editing going on, but Jamie also either forgot how these things can be cut together or didn't think about it because he didn't really get burned by the edit the first go around.

He's giving them way too much footage to Frankenstein into this Julie/Jamie affair storyline and Julie is doing her best to pour gasoline on the fire, so I feel sure there were some disturbances on his homefront as this was airing.

Melissa posted a really cute pic of her, Tokyo, Kelley, and Danny and notes that the picture was taken by Matt and hashtagged it RWNO Homecoming. Conspicuously absent...Julie and Jamie, so Julie's drama stink all over Jamie seems like it might have affected the relationship with the others.

Julie strikes me as someone who got married too early. She was a very naive and sheltered 19 year old on the show and is someone who could have benefited from more life experience. I say this because no rational adult would conduct themselves the way she has and not think their spouse wouldn't have a problem with it. Julie may pretend to be but she is not an idiot. She's seems to be trying to piss off her husband for some reason as no one can bet that clueless.

Kelly sees what's going on and it's making her uncomfortable. Who wants to see two married people cheat with each other in front of your face? It feels like the drum beat in the house and would make anyone uncomfortable.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

The show sure isn't presenting it that way. I'm nearly positive there's creative editing going on, but Jamie also either forgot how these things can be cut together or didn't think about it because he didn't really get burned by the edit the first go around.

He's giving them way too much footage to Frankenstein into this Julie/Jamie affair storyline and Julie is doing her best to pour gasoline on the fire, so I feel sure there were some disturbances on his homefront as this was airing.

Melissa posted a really cute pic of her, Tokyo, Kelley, and Danny and notes that the picture was taken by Matt and hashtagged it RWNO Homecoming. Conspicuously absent...Julie and Jamie, so Julie's drama stink all over Jamie seems like it might have affected the relationship with the others.

Jamie said in one of his interviews before the show aired he didn't like his edit the first time around. He thought they made him look racist and homophobic after the first episode so he didn't watch the rest of the season. 

45 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Sometimes I like Danny other times I feel he is a bit holier than thou. I was surprised that he did not seem to understand why the Julie incident would make Tokyo put up a boundary. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

But I was similarly confused by Kelley's extreme reaction to the hook up conversation, it seems like maybe there is something she did that didn't make the show and she's afraid it will come out now. 

That’s my first thought.. she’s paranoid that “something” she did back then is gonna be brought up. It literally is the ONLY explanation for this super hyper reaction to this topic she physically clinches like she’s waiting for the other shoe to drop 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

It took him two tries.  He was clear about it in a talking head, that he was never going to date someone in the house, no matter who lived there, but in real time he said it in a way that didn't make 100% clear he meant dating someone also in the house wasn't going to happen (I understood it that way, but, unlike Julie, I had the benefit of having just listened to the clearer talking head), not that he wasn't looking to date anyone during his time in the house.  After Julie didn't get it, he said the difference between Julie and "the black girl" (seriously, Julie?!) he was interested in was about living in the same house vs. not.

3 hours ago, BelleBrit said:

I can see why Kelley is uncomfortable with Julie-just in that she really seems like a loose canon who is creating drama and cannot read the room-but other than that, not sure why she is making such a big deal about the "hookups" discussion since they really don't pertain to her.

3 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

But I was similarly confused by Kelley's extreme reaction to the hook up conversation, it seems like maybe there is something she did that didn't make the show and she's afraid it will come out now.

Yeah, I found her overly uptight about something that had nothing to do with her, but I think the stress Julie is constantly raining down on an otherwise pleasant experience is magnifying her reaction.  Then again, maybe there is something she's afraid is going to come up, but I just don't understand being weird about random attractions, hook-ups, or relationships 20 years ago as somehow disrespectful to current marriages.  Whether oh, jeez, what an embarrassing mistake or that was a nice time while it ran its course, acknowledging the past doesn't diminish the present.

I also, at least at this point, don't understand the "that's inappropriate!" pearl clutching over Jamie and Julie staying up drinking and playing darts.  Maybe it's again rooted in Julie's utter nutfuckery and desire to craft a storyline the producers lap right up, rather than concern over what is actually happening.  Because nothing that actually happened was inappropriate, especially because at this point in filming Jamie knows very little about how Julie has been framing their long-ago hook-up as some ongoing connection (and thus storyline fodder).

5 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

I also did not like Tokyo jumping in because while I do see Matt's struggles it really isn't Tokyo's place to tell Danny to give Matt grace when Matt doesn't deserve it from Danny.

That was disappointing; it was a Matt move, and Matt is no one to emulate.  But it speaks to how people, no matter how overall aware and empathetic, can still have blinders as to what something means to someone different from them (like Danny using "violent" to describe Tokyo's actions; we had his white privilege, and now we get Tokyo's straight privilege -- even though both have spoken intelligently and compassionately about race and sexual orientation respectively in other instances).

26 minutes ago, Miss Slay said:

Julie strikes me as someone who got married too early. She was a very naive and sheltered 19 year old on the show and is someone who could have benefited from more life experience.

Both of them, I think, even though he was a little older -- their religion kept them so insanely sheltered, they hadn't actually had all that much more of the healthy life experiences those who married even younger did.  Julie's incredibly stunted - but I can't feel sorry for her because she's also a diabolically manipulative jackass and always has been - but I would not be at all surprise if he is, too.  Their relationship is odd, and the patio sex struck me as overcompensating.  (She has her own room now; bone there if you must, and keep it down with a house full of people, as that's just rude.  There's sex positive, and then there's obnoxious.  Guess where Julie falls.)

If he did flip the fuck out over a Spotify playlist, he's batshit crazy and good on her for saying no, I'm not coming home, and you are acting a fool, but I don't believe a single thing she says or does is genuine, so I'm not giving her that credit.

All my reactions have been covered by others already, so I'll just add that I loved Danny calling Matt's apology what it is, and specifically saying Matt hates feeling uncomfortable and that's what he's trying to get out of.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

HAHAHA right?

I always wondered this too, I know I do that.  I take what I want and leave the weird stuff.  But apparently there are some Catholics who believe it is all or nothing.

The funny thing about all is that it’s never really all.  Like it’s a sin to charge interest but Christians overlook that because it would be too inconvenient to not have mortgages and credit cards.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Whether oh, jeez, what an embarrassing mistake or that was a nice time while it ran its course, acknowledging the past doesn't diminish the present.

I don’t know why people like Julie feel their spouse has to know their entire sexual history.  If it happened before you were in a committed relationship with your spouse, you weren’t cheating so there is nothing to explain.  Most people accept that their spouse had a sex life in the past and can process that concept maturely.  

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

If he did flip the fuck out over a Spotify playlist, he's batshit crazy and good on her for saying no, I'm not coming home, and you are acting a fool, but I don't believe a single thing she says or does is genuine, so I'm not giving her that credit.

I think it’s highly unlikely that he just happened to have an unrelated commitment in NO at the same time that they were shooting. 

• Love 4

Jamie claimed not to have watched the original season because he didn't like his portrayal in the first episode, but other things he said at his cast's reunion in 2000 made me doubtful. For example, he felt there wasn't enough focus throughout the season on "the spirituality in the house." How would he know? I guess he could have asked Melissa "Did they show Matt taking me to his church?" and about other incidents, and when she said no, that was enough for him to go on, but I never bought it.

(Personally, I felt I heard quite enough about religion in that season. Besides the extensive coverage of Julie's and Matt's, Jamie and his "Zazen" had an episode.) 

Three statements I always doubted from anyone who had been on Real World later than season four: "I had never seen the show before." "I went with someone else and had no plan to audition." "I didn't even watch my season." It's like actors and musicians saying they never read reviews, but even less likely to be true. 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

Jamie claimed not to have watched the original season because he didn't like his portrayal in the first episode, but other things he said at his cast's reunion in 2000 made me doubtful. For example, he felt there wasn't enough focus throughout the season on "the spirituality in the house." How would he know? I guess he could have asked Melissa "Did they show Matt taking me to his church?" and about other incidents, and when she said no, that was enough for him to go on, but I never bought it.

(Personally, I felt I heard quite enough about religion in that season. Besides the extensive coverage of Julie's and Matt's, Jamie and his "Zazen" had an episode.) 

Three statements I always doubted from anyone who had been on Real World later than season four: "I had never seen the show before." "I went with someone else and had no plan to audition." "I didn't even watch my season." It's like actors and musicians saying they never read reviews, but even less likely to be true. 

I always appreciated cast members like Melissa and Lori who were quite open with their Real World Fandom.

• Love 5

This was such an odd episode tonally.

The conversation between Matt and Danny felt very circular to me and honestly I did not feel there was any resolution.  It just felt like they ended at the same place they started but both decided they actually went somewhere just to put the bad feelings to rest.  But it is still an uneasy rest.

Julie is all over the place and I feel nothing about her is sincere.  I thought this was filmed during the pandemic when a lot of social distancing was still going on?  If so, what industry was holding in person super spreader conferences that her husband just so happens to need to attend  in NOLA at the same time she is there?

Her husband calls her with a 911 emergency call because he saw a Spotify playlist?

Why is she so hung up on Jamie?  She came to the reunion because of him? The whole vibe there just feels very odd to me.  She seems to be too interested in Jamie to the point where she is bringing him up in a very passive aggressive way with her husband.  Meanwhile he alternately seems to clueless and not thinking of her and yet dragged into her orbit with these oddly intimate set ups with just the two of them.  None of the Julie related stuff this episode  hits me as something that is organically happening.

Kelley's reactions are also odd.  Yes.  I get it that you think Julie is just a drama queen.  And a negative black hole of suck.  I agree.  But what  do Julie's inappropriate behavior and some of the provocative conversations have to do with you?  The only thing I can think of that maybe explains it is that the atmosphere is just tense all the time and we aren't really getting the real sense of it and that is what she is responding to?

Melissa and Tokyo take a back seat and honestly I missed their energy.  I was also upset that Tokyo jumped in to help explain Matt.  I am seeing an impulse in him to be helpful but see how that backfired with Julie.  They grown.  Let them work that shit out themselves.

• Love 4
(edited)

Julie is popping adderall like candy.  It’s become increasingly obvious.  Or, she has that mental illness Suzy Favor Hamilton has, with the hyper sexuality.

Tokyo looks like a black David Cross.

image.jpeg.b9babcae0efd05430b7def00952bd058.jpeg

Or David is a white Tokyo.  Is it just me that sees this?

Edited by heatherchandler
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Can we please have one episode that doesn't showcase Julie? Please? The LAST thing I wanted to see was Julie getting it on with her husband. It's annoying enough with 20-somethings but that was bordering on exhibitionism.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Can we please have one episode that doesn't showcase Julie? Please? The LAST thing I wanted to see was Julie getting it on with her husband. It's annoying enough with 20-somethings but that was bordering on exhibitionism.

Imagine he’s your eye doctor and you have to keep a straight face the next office visit.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

he said the difference between Julie and "the black girl" (seriously, Julie?!)

Didn't Julie also pose as that girl online once she and Matt exchanged emails to string Matt along for a bit as a "joke"?

• Love 1