Type keyword(s) to search

RW Homecoming: New Orleans (2022)

• Start Topic

Just now, choclatechip45 said:

Was that the fashion show that Tina Fey and Amy Poehler judged? 

They judged a challenge involving improvisation/comedy. Ayanna was still part of the RR team then. The fetish fashion show was later, during the Susie period.

42 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

I do believe Julie on this one. She and Jamie went so quickly from the Belfort to the Extreme Challenge, so they were around each other a lot in 2000. I don't have trouble believe they hooked up in a hotel room and did everything short of intercourse, and it was a big deal to her, less so to him.

Julie might not even have been the only girl in that cast Jamie fooled around with. I have a dim memory of rumors about him and the Road Rules team's Michelle (RIP). I also remember the cheerleading challenge, in which the two teams made up cheers mocking each other. One of the taunts in the RR team's was "Rebecca, you're caught in between / Syrus livin' in a teenage dream / and Jamie hits on our whole team."

Speaking of Extreme Challenge, this episode of Homecoming showed the Jamie/Julie portion of the fetish fashion show in Germany. They were spoofing John and Lorena Bobbitt. That episode aired when it was the new one, and possibly a few more times that week, before being pulled. It didn't get the customary re-airing the following week to lead into the next episode, and it was never seen again, even in marathons. Speculation was that there had been a cease-and-desist letter over unauthorized likenesses of Homer and Marge Simpson. Rebecca and Kameelah (respectively) played them in a scat-fetish skit.

Yeah, I don't feel like Julie was lying about it.  To add on, there were rumors about Jamie potentially having some hookups when he was on the Gauntlet II.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

They judged a challenge involving improvisation/comedy. Ayanna was still part of the RR team then. The fetish fashion show was later, during the Susie period.

Thanks! 

I remember Susie mentioning that Jamie was hooking up with her and Julie on a challenge. I would hope it was Extreme since they were both married on Gauntlet 2. Yes Jamie was rumored to have a threesome with Cara and Susie on that challenge as well.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Asp Burger said:

I do believe Julie on this one.

Didn't Jamie say there was no fucking (meaning, I assume, no penile-vaginal intercourse) when Julie brought up the fuck buddy concept during the group talk, but otherwise not deny - to the group or to the camera in his interview - the existence of any sort of hook-up.

I hate Julie, but I don't have any trouble believing, based on what was shown and said, they did fool around some during their Challenge experience, and it's just a hell of a lot more memorable to her because of it being a first in her life and run of the mill in his.  That she's still making an It's all about me and my "journey" that interests no one but me, so let me cry and over share even though this degree of attention clearly makes him uncomfortable thing of it, and her and the producers making a stupid storyline of some one-sided/non-existent (depending on whether Julie is delusional or just a fake, lying sociopath who's playing entirely to a script of her own making) "connection", that's another thing.  But I don't have any trouble believing there was some sort of casual hook-up back in the day.

• Love 6

Melissa freaking out over the number of eggs and and how much butter was in Matt's fridge cracked me up.

I actually didn't completely hate Julie this ep.  Yeah, her manic energy is very off putting and she is still too much over the top, but I kinda get what she was saying about her sexual repression and then her hunger to experience it. 

I could see how incredibly uncomfortable Jamie was listening to her talk about it, though.  I think Danny had the right of it, for Julie it was a profound thing and Jamie just had a boner.  I think Jamie acknowledged that too. 

I don't know if it is 'storyline' or producer manipulation, but it does seem the like they are trying to lean in hard on seeming like Julie and Jamie are reconnecting.  On the one hand, I know it is very easy to fall into old relationship grooves even with people you haven't seen in years.  It is almost like muscle memory but for the emotions.  So I get it.  But still, there is a borderline ick factor happening there too.  I get what Kelly is saying, y'all is married with kids now ... move along.

Matt is just... sigh.  Like Melissa, I have respect for a person's beliefs and convictions as long as they are not harming anyone.  But there is such an inflexibility of thought on Matt's part that he, imo, embodies just the archetype of why people have such issues with religious devotees. 

He could have easily just sat and watched them getting their tarot read without being involved himself.  No harm in just being there and joking with them and just being part of the communal experience.  It was all in fun.  He acted like the devil would jump out of the cards and cause him to sin if he were even in the same room.  I am surprised he didn't leave that devil house altogether.  LOL.

And don't even get me started on his non answer about homosexuality.

• Love 12

When Matt says to the producer, "I think I answered the question. I answered the question," and then nervously gulps from the water bottle, I realized on second watch what it reminded me of. William H. Macy in Fargo when Frances McDormand comes to the car dealership to inquire if there are any missing vehicles from the lot.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I'm still thoroughly enjoying this season and loving everyone's interactions.  Melissa insisting that Matt's wife give her a fridge tour ("Okay, wait, go back to the eggs - let me see the eggs again.  I want to count the cartons") and saying she didn't want to hear that she had work to do because all she wanted was to go home and lie down had me rolling.  And with that wig and those glasses, she didn't look like she'd aged a day since the original.

But Julie . . . that was so uncomfortable.  Even when it was just her and Jamie out on the patio and she started talking about how their encounter led her to start masturbating was just - NO!.  It was too much to unload on someone she hadn't seen in two decades, it was too much to unpack for the entire world to hear about (not to mention her parents - what IS the current status of her family relationship, anyway), and it was just plain inappropriate all around.  Everything about her behavior is just so incredibly strange.  Her husband is okay with her coming on the show and doing all this?  Really??

• Love 7
2 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

I've heard Julie stopped doing podcast interviews. 

That’s interesting. I assumed she knew she’d be seen as the villain so the response she’s getting can’t be a surprise? But I also see her as so wholly disingenuous, instead of someone who doesn’t even realize they’re as manipulative as they are. Maybe I’m wrong about that. What a bizarre woman. 

Matt is probably not a bad guy overall, but he really is a buzzkill. 

• Love 2

Forgot to mention when they were dancing to 'Back That Azz Up' my husband turned to me and said, "I bet Matt's head would explode if they played the South Park version of Back that Ass up."  LOL.

• LOL 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I wonder if Julie is watching this show as it is airing and thinking "Damn, I am making some great TV here!"

I guarantee Julie was thinking that while filming the show, I'm not sure it's working out quite like she envisioned it though. 

The way she assumes (or wants it to be true) that everyone is talking about her all the time, the outrage she displayed when Melissa didn't remember her living in LA, and the look on her face last night when Jamie didn't have these profound memories of their hookups, she really thinks she's on the top of everyone's mind. 

I'm sure she thought there would be blazing headlines about the former Mormon virgin getting wasted, hinting at affairs, and dropping bombshells about hooking up with Jamie years ago. But it's just not that big a story. I wonder if all the brouhaha with BYU back in the day inflated her sense of her own newsworthiness, I remember the series ending with her being on Larry King Live discussing the possibility of not being allowed back in school. But the Real World was a much bigger deal then, this was pre-Survivor and the glut of reality shows that followed it. 

I don't know if it is 'storyline' or producer manipulation, but it does seem the like they are trying to lean in hard on seeming like Julie and Jamie are reconnecting.  On the one hand, I know it is very easy to fall into old relationship grooves even with people you haven't seen in years.  It is almost like muscle memory but for the emotions.  So I get it.  But still, there is a borderline ick factor happening there too.  I get what Kelly is saying, y'all is married with kids now ... move along.

Kelley is such an adult, I really respect the way she is considering the optics and the potential impacts on people's real lives. If Julie had a clue, she'd appreciate the lines Kelley is drawing and follow suit, but Julie is such a stunted adolescent, she's still "rebelling" against some authority that isn't even there. 

I definitely think there's some creative editing going on with the Julie/Jamie stuff, we've seen signs of him drawing boundaries, but the show is definitely trying to make it appear that lines will be crossed. I hope that's not the case because in-house hookups began the slide in the original series, I don't want that to become a similar focus in these Homecomings.

I loved all the Y2K stuff, I remember all that nonsense. And it was interesting to hear Jamie's path as one of the many failed dot-commers. He appeared to come from money to begin with so I assumed he was just playing at work and would settle into some desk job on a cushion of family money, it was surprise to hear he became a trucker at some point. 

ETA: Forget to mention Melissa in that wig, holy shit. I know she had her teeth fixed, but I always assumed she'd done something more to her face to look so different after the show. Turns out, no, it only took a better pair of glasses, better clothes, and a more flattering hairdo to transform her look because she looked EXACTLY like she did on the show. 

Edited by ljenkins782
  • Love 4

How could I forget the very best part of the episode, the Back that Azz Up dance-off, I had to rewind that so many times to watch everyone's dance moves. Matt and Julie both dance with their wrists...weird. And Kelley was clearly trying not to be seen, I recall that dancing was not her strong suit. Jamie just looked like a huge doofus in his yellow suit and terrible dance moves. 

It reminded me of the scene in the RW You Never Saw where they mocked everyone's dancing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Glade said:

We've seen him try to be firm with his boundaries but not want to be unkind/hurt her feelings.  So I think it's possible nothing happened (or the 'hookup' was one kiss) and Julie just spun out this story. 

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

Didn't Jamie say there was no fucking (meaning, I assume, no penile-vaginal intercourse) when Julie brought up the fuck buddy concept during the group talk, but otherwise not deny - to the group or to the camera in his interview - the existence of any sort of hook-up.

I would have loved if the "updates on everyone's love life and marriages" episode wasn't presented as part of the "Julie's sexual awakening at the hands of Jamie" montage. While yes, I want the cast to reflect on what happened during their season and how it impacted or changed them - everything has this undercurrent of Julie trying to make good TV and steer every conversation and it's making this season incredibly exhausting.  

I don't understand how Matt makes it through a day in 2022. How does everything he encounters make him so uncomfortable? Has he really not grown at all or made attempts to see a world outside his own in the past 22 years? 

The Y2K stuff was fun and a fun transition to the throwback outfits and dance party. That's what I want more of from a Homecoming season! 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, shantown said:

I don't understand how Matt makes it through a day in 2022. How does everything he encounters make him so uncomfortable? Has he really not grown at all or made attempts to see a world outside his own in the past 22 years? 

I do wonder why he agreed to do Homecoming.  He doesn't seem particularly open to being challenged or even having a discussion regarding the touchier topics. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Melissa freaking out over the number of eggs and and how much butter was in Matt's fridge cracked me up.

I actually didn't completely hate Julie this ep.  Yeah, her manic energy is very off putting and she is still too much over the top, but I kinda get what she was saying about her sexual repression and then her hunger to experience it. 

I could see how incredibly uncomfortable Jamie was listening to her talk about it, though.  I think Danny had the right of it, for Julie it was a profound thing and Jamie just had a boner.  I think Jamie acknowledged that too. 

Matt is just... sigh.  Like Melissa, I have respect for a person's beliefs and convictions as long as they are not harming anyone.  But there is such an inflexibility of thought on Matt's part that he, imo, embodies just the archetype of why people have such issues with religious devotees. 

He could have easily just sat and watched them getting their tarot read without being involved himself.  No harm in just being there and joking with them and just being part of the communal experience.  It was all in fun.  He acted like the devil would jump out of the cards and cause him to sin if he were even in the same room.  I am surprised he didn't leave that devil house altogether.  LOL.

And don't even get me started on his non answer about homosexuality.

If Matt thinks something as benign as being gay is a sin does he also condemn all the sex abuse and pedophilia in his church?  Crickets.

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I do wonder why he agreed to do Homecoming.  He doesn't seem particularly open to being challenged or even having a discussion regarding the touchier topics. 

because the rumored pay is 200k. 

Matt was very open with his views on the Gauntlet and rightfully got a lot flack for it. I feel like he came into homecoming knowing his views aren't mainstream and decided he wasn't going to talk about those views. I don't like it or respect it, but I can see why he decided to go that route. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Ugh Julie. Grow up. 

I'm all for sex positivity and women owning their sexuality, but discussing private, intimate encounters with a now married man - AND YOU YOURSELF ARE MARRIED TOO - in front of all of the housemates is just beyound classless and immature. 

And of course next week will continue to be the Julie show because we actually have to meet the saint who married her. 🙄

Matt can miss me with his homophobic bullshit. I was actually surprised when he referred to his Catholicism because I thought for sure he was part of some fundie church. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I definitely think there's some creative editing going on with the Julie/Jamie stuff, we've seen signs of him drawing boundaries, but the show is definitely trying to make it appear that lines will be crossed. I hope that's not the case because in-house hookups began the slide in the original series, I don't want that to become a similar focus in these Homecomings.

💯.

I'm guessing the person she makes out with in the hot tub is her husband but the editing genies want us to believe it is Jamie. 

News Flash MTV/Paramount: The only person still pining for Julie/Jamie is Julie. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

Matt can miss me with his homophobic bullshit. I was actually surprised when he referred to his Catholicism because I thought for sure he was part of some fundie church. 

THIS! He comes off as an evangelist, not a Catholic at ALL. I've had widespread exposure to Roman Catholics--I've never met any one (certainly not a guy) who was so rigid about sex before marriage and homosexuality. Obviously YMMV but he comes off as afraid of everything and judgemental af.

• Love 13
(edited)

Lawd, I’m far from a prude but Julie’s very TMI talk about Jamie had me blushing!  It must have been wild af in her hotel room during her honeymoon.  And her stomach?  3 kids my ass she’s got a banging body.

I was backing my ample ass up in my work chair, that song will never get old!

Jamie’s daughter is such a cutie and I love the name Collins for a girl.  UO but I never found him attractive, I just saw him as a douchebag frat boy.

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

THIS! He comes off as an evangelist, not a Catholic at ALL. I've had widespread exposure to Roman Catholics--I've never met any one (certainly not a guy) who was so rigid about sex before marriage and homosexuality. Obviously YMMV but he comes off as afraid of everything and judgemental af.

Maybe he’s in that super conservative Opus Dei niche like Mel Gibson.

1 hour ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Lawd, I’m far from a prude but Julie’s very TMI talk about Jamie had me blushing!  It must have been wild af in her hotel room during her honeymoon.  And her stomach?  3 kids my ass she’s got a banging body.

I was backing my ample ass up in my work chair, that song will never get old!

Jamie’s daughter is such a cutie and I love the name Collins for a girl.  UO but I never found him attractive, I just saw him as a douchebag frat boy.

He kinda had a Matt Dillon thing going but I don’t think his face has aged well.  It seems kinda doughy maybe from too many years of hard drinking.

• Love 3

Matt's just very conservative, but the kind of conservative who's pleasant and reasonably gracious on an interpersonal level. I hope I'm not getting myself in trouble here just by dropping some real-world (ha!) names, but I remember a reporter asking Pete Buttigieg about his dealings with Mike Pence (they were mayor of South Bend and governor of Indiana, respectively, at the same time). They don't agree on much, but Buttigieg said that Pence was as nice as could be in the way he treated people individually, and he liked him, but then there's what he stands for and what he wants for the country. That's how I think Matt is. He's the Mike Pence of The Real World

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

I think what Danny said about Matt in an interview is 100% accurate Matt wants to appear open minded, but his religious views make him close minded. I have mixed feelings about Matt because Melissa has said positive things about him in interviews. I don't think she would do that if he was awful. 

2 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

I think what Danny said about Matt in an interview is 100% accurate Matt wants to appear open minded, but his religious views make him close minded. I have mixed feelings about Matt because Melissa has said positive things about him in interviews. I don't think she would do that if he was awful. 

He probably follows that love the sinner hate the sin principle.  But of course that assumes that it is a sin in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

If Matt thinks something as benign as being gay is a sin does he also condemn all the sex abuse and pedophilia in his church?  Crickets.

I should surely hope so! Why do you say crickets? Those topics were not brought up on the episode? Quite an unfair assumption there. 

39 minutes ago, Cherry Cola said:

I would have excused myself also. He did politely. I appreciate Melissa respecting that.  I also don't blame Matt for not answering the homosexuality question.  Of course he is not going to agree with it, due to his beliefs, and thats fine, he accepts the people, just not the lifestyle. I think we should all be that way.  We don't have to agree on everything. Anyway, I think he would get shit no matter how he answers that, so he didn't. I don't blame him one bit. 

It’s not a lifestyle it’s an orientation.

• Love 16
41 minutes ago, Cherry Cola said:

I should surely hope so! Why do you say crickets? Those topics were not brought up on the episode? Quite an unfair assumption there. 

Matt is a disgusting sanctimonious turd.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
20 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Matt is a disgusting sanctimonious turd.

But why? Because he has different views than you? I don't get the hate. Why does he have to agree with all others opinions/beliefs but you don't? That is what I don't get about people. Instant hate if they don't accept ones views, but it's ok to hate them? Seems like its the same thing?

Edited by Cherry Cola
  • Love 5
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Cherry Cola said:

But why? Because he has different views than you? I don't get the hate. Why does he have to agree with all others opinions/beliefs but you don't? That is what I don't get about people. Instant hate if they don't accept ones views, but it's ok to hate them? Seems like its the same thing?

Matt doesn't respect other peoples views.  He believes he's right and they're absolutely wrong (and going to hell). He believes homosexuality is some choice people make and that their lifestyle is an abomination. He thinks Danny could/should stop practicing his "deviant" lifestyle.

Sorry, that's not the same thing as I like chocolate when you like vanilla. 

It's great that Melissa found things to bond with him over, that's what people do in a civilized society. But I'd bet she'd feel a lot differently if she were gay or if his views were directed at her race/ethnicity. 

Edited by snarts
  • Applause 1
  • Love 17
11 minutes ago, snarts said:

It's great that Melissa found things to bond with him over, that's what people do in a civilized society. But I'd bet she'd feel a lot differently if she were gay or if his views were directed at her race/ethnicity. 

The way Danny might feel differently about Julie's behavior if he were a person of color? Instead he piled on and used racially charged words like "violent" to describe Tokyo. Interestingly enough he only found fault with Julie when it directly affected him and his sexuality.

So please.

• Love 5

If someone is wanting tolerance for their beliefs but doesn't tolerate someone else's different beliefs...thats  hypocrisy. 

Hatred and bigotry are not beliefs that should be tolerated.

I feel people just hate on Christians because they are Christians.

No, people hate on Christians, as well as people of any belief, who are racist homophobic hateful assholes.

If he was muslim, no one would utter a word.

He'd be called out the same way, and rightfully so.

So why do you not have to respect Matt's beliefs, but he needs to respect yours?

Because my beliefs don't make me a hateful intolerant asshole. His does.

• Love 17

Even if Matt didn’t hold such close minded views, I still wouldn’t like him. He’s smug and often condescending. The one positive thing about him is he knew enough to avoid getting too entangled with Julie. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Intended or not, it is a very disrespectful thing to say to queer people.

And ignorant.  And it is usually purposeful to support the fallacy that it is a choice like a hairstyle. Like when people deliberately say sexual preference.

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

And ignorant.  And it is usually purposeful to support the fallacy that it is a choice like a hairstyle. Like when people deliberately say sexual preference.

Ok, what are people supposed to say? Legit asking, not being rude.  

17 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

But they will use it as a shield for their hateful intolerant views...🙄

I know. It drives me crazy. This is something against which I push back every chance I get (against homophobic self-proclaimed Xtians, that is--I fully understand why gay people and gay allies are distrustful of Xtians--they have every right to be--and I don't take it personally).

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, snarts said:

Matt doesn't respect other peoples views.  He believes he's right and they're absolutely wrong (and going to hell). He believes homosexuality is some choice people make and that their lifestyle is an abomination. He thinks Danny could/should stop practicing his "deviant" lifestyle.

Sorry, that's not the same thing as I like chocolate when you like vanilla. 

Danny decided to label Tokyo as violent and sided with Julie. I don't think Danny would have used that label if he weren't white. Let's not forget Danny outed a cast member on television a few years back which is a pretty shitty thing to do and gave enough hints that everyone was able to figure out who he was talking about.

People are complicated. I don't agree with Matt's views on gay people and on a whole host of other things.  I don't think he is an awful person. I think almost everyone in this house is very self involved and self righteous. You have to be to be cast on The Real World. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Miss Slay said:

The way Danny might feel differently about Julie's behavior if he were a person of color? Instead he piled on and used racially charged words like "violent" to describe Tokyo. Interestingly enough he only found fault with Julie when it directly affected him and his sexuality.

So please.

Completely agree. I never defended Danny's handling of that situation.

And I don't think Melissa is wrong in any way by finding common ground with Matt. But I also don't think by that by doing so she's condoning his views on homosexuality. My point was that they don't directly affect her, just like Julie's actions didn't directly affect Danny. We all have blinders on at times. 

The difference to me is that Matt's beliefs drive him to want to impose limits on other peoples rights & freedoms and that's a serious hard stop for me.

Edited by snarts
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13
16 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Danny decided to label Tokyo as violent and sided with Julie. I don't think Danny would have used that label if he weren't white. Let's not forget Danny outed a cast member on television a few years back which is a pretty shitty thing to do and gave enough hints that everyone was able to figure out who he was talking about.

People are complicated. I don't agree with Matt's views on gay people and on a whole host of other things.  I don't think he is an awful person. I think almost everyone in this house is very self involved and self righteous. You have to be to be cast on The Real World. 

Danny doesn’t speak for all gay people and represent all gay people.  So because he may do something wrong doesn’t mean it’s open season on all gay people.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
14 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Danny doesn’t speak for all gay people and represent all gay people.  So because he may do something wrong doesn’t mean it’s open season on all gay people.

When did I attack Gay people? I never did. Danny is a gay icon. Nobody should be outing anyone especially on television it is dangerous and irresponsible. Yes I personally think with everything Danny has been through he should have known better especially someone with his platform. 

We are human and make mistakes. I think Matt made a mistake in how he handled the question with the producer. I am waiting to see what he does next week towards Danny before I judge him for it. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1
(edited)

There's a great scene in The West Wing where a character is admonished with that "let's be tolerant of those whose views are different from ours" chestnut when he denigrates a bigot for his bigotry, and he responds:

I believe, as long as [character, who is a Supreme Court Justice] is intolerant toward gays, lesbians, blacks, unions, women, poor people, and the First, Fourth, Fifth, and Ninth amendments, I will remain intolerant toward him.

Religious faith is a view that needs to be accepted, but bigotry isn't; Danny needs to accept that Matt is Christian, of course, and there's no indication he doesn't, but does not need to accept that Matt believes his Christianity demands he condemn Danny's sexual orientation as wrong.  No one has to tolerate intolerance. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 9
(edited)
12 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

When did I attack Gay people? I never did. Danny is a gay icon. Nobody should be outing anyone especially on television it is dangerous and irresponsible. Yes I personally think with everything Danny has been through he should have known better especially someone with his platform. 

We are human and make mistakes. I think Matt made a mistake in how he handled the question with the producer. I am waiting to see what he does next week towards Danny before I judge him for it. 

When people were criticizing what Matt’s views on gay people as a group are you said that Danny was wrong to call Tokyo violent.  Putting aside that Danny didn’t call all Black people violent, many gay people would not have the same opinion as Danny so it’s not an equivalency.

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1