Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Dry Spell

• Start Topic

Drs. Lim, Park and Wolke treat a woman with Valley fever and discover a secret she has been hiding from her fiancé. Meanwhile, Drs. Murphy, Allen and Andrews treat a 45-year-old virgin and help her make a big decision about her life.

Original airdate: 3/28/22

Aw, hey, good to see Asher and that guy hitting it off as they did in the end :). Would be interested to see where that goes. 

I also liked how they examined the conflicting feelings regarding everything with the woman and her fiance. I understand the fiance being mad, because there are some real issues that can come with keeping a big secret like that (if she didn't tell him the truth, he would've found out eventually some other way, I'm sure).

But I also very much understand her fear of telling him the truth, too. It would be a tough, scary thing to talk about, for a whole host of reasons. I am glad that they were able to ultimately reconcile.

I also liked the couple that Jordan and Shaun dealt with. Having sex in a hospital would be rather awkward, I would think, but her date was a really sweet, understanding guy and rolled with everything so well, and they seem to have a good future ahead of them, so yay :). 

• Love 8

I really hope after watching this episode that Dr. Glassman ends up transitioning and ends up marrying Dr Murphy I think this would make for such a fairytale ending to such an amazing show you can tell they love each other but Dr Murphy is clearly a straight male so if Dr Glassman ends up transitioning they can end up together 

• LOL 3

This was a decent episode. A bit... odd, especially with how Andrews started treating people out of the blue, but it was okay.

1 hour ago, Lynchtree said:

I really hope after watching this episode that Dr. Glassman ends up transitioning and ends up marrying Dr Murphy I think this would make for such a fairytale ending to such an amazing show you can tell they love each other but Dr Murphy is clearly a straight male so if Dr Glassman ends up transitioning they can end up together 

what did I just read

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

It was good to see Shaun laughing at the end when he was in bed with Leah, we so rarely see him laugh or smile. I liked the stories even though the doctors get way too involved in patients personal lives. Glassman Is a father figure to Sean, and I like the character.

• Love 4

Wow. This show is really fading quickly. It felt as though I'd seen most of these stories before and there was no interesting twist to any of them.

The 45-year old virgin...sex in the hospital...the very first scene with Leah...Sean blabbing about sex with everyone and anyone...corporate co-ed softball team where they're throwing curve balls...the nurse who was obviously going to become the curly-topped doctor's next date.

Nine candles and no weather channel. That did make me chuckle.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

This felt more absurd and boring than usual - despite their protests, these doctors are also social workers,  unlicensed therapists, nurses, and random people that walk into delirious patients rooms and deliver endless monologues about their childhoods.  And we have seen it all before.

Edited by Glade
  • Love 12

"Boosting my morale."  Can't say I've ever heard that one before.  Thanks, Lea!  

Honestly, I kind of wanted to hear more suggestions from the staff over how Shaun should break the dry spell.  Not surprised Park would go with a bubble bath (he is a romantic at heart), but I so want to hear more about the janitor who suggested the sex swing and especially the gift shop worker who brought up BDSM.  This hospital staff is certainly open about their sex lives!

None of the cases held any surprises, but they served their purposes.  The undocumented patient was wrong to keep her secret as long as she did and her fiance's reaction was understandable, but it was probably one of those classic cases of "Wait till she survives this possibly fatal surgery before having the discussion." scenarios.  But it seems like they're working things out, so that's cool.  The case of the 45 year-old virgin (not played by Steve Carell!) did a good job with having some humor and lighter moments, but not at the expense of the patient herself being mocked for never having sex.  Although, I have to imagine that at least some of the nurses and staff knew what was really going on.  No way can I see Shaun and Jordan being able to pull this off without others noticed the strange stuff.

Looks like Asher is looking for a serious relationship now and might try something with this nurse.  I noticed that they actually brought the character in last week as well, so I like that they at least made an attempt to ease the character in and wasn't just "Hello, I'm here to serve as a love interest!"

Andrews leadership style seems to.. ahem, more "behind the scenes" compared to the norm here, which isn't making himself any friends with the staff.  I wish I could be surprised that he didn't realize that some would still be down on him for the Salen stuff, but that does seem like Andrews.  At least Glassman used it to his advantage to form a softball team for the hospital and it seems to be working at making Andrews interact with everyone better.  Now all Glassman needs to do is make sure not to have a games during Shan and Lea's scheduled sexy times...

Still think these post-Salen episodes have been big improvements so far this season.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, mojito said:

Wow. This show is really fading quickly. It felt as though I'd seen most of these stories before and there was no interesting twist to any of them.

The 45-year old virgin...sex in the hospital...the very first scene with Leah...Sean blabbing about sex with everyone and anyone...corporate co-ed softball team where they're throwing curve balls...the nurse who was obviously going to become the curly-topped doctor's next date.

I know it’s tv but first dr lim telling pt #1 she can be fast tracked into financial aid; #2 allowing someone to stay in hospital to have a date? Seriously there are people with good insurance have brain surgery and are sent home same day, i can usually just roll with it but both scenarios were so ridiculous .

• Love 7

Have we heard Asher's story about cutting off his teenage boyfriend before? It sounded vaguely familiar.  It also made me think he was much colder than he appears normally, which also felt familiar. 

I thought the story with the 45-year-old virgin and her date was sweet although likely unrealistic. Jordan was very kind to her in arranging that date.

I was impressed Shaun did not tell everyone he saw Leah masturbating. Not so impressed he told everyone about their "dry spell." I did laugh when he told Glassman it had been 9 days, and Glassman was like, "that's nothing."

Also very impressed at how fast they got a hospital softball league set up.

• Love 5

Glad to get more insight on Asher. He already mentioned his dad not approving of his being gay in a previous episode and that he hadn’t opened a letter he got from his dad.

I also liked to see Andrews take Glassman’s advice and use the company softball games to establish more rapport with his employees.

• Love 5

I was very concerned before Viktor arrived that the 45 year old virgin had misunderstood the type of date she would be having, and it would end in disaster. So I was glad that didn’t happen. 

All the sex stuff was too much though. Maybe not too much, but took up too much of the runtime. I would rather have seen more of the actual cases and issues. But I guess that’s the direction for an episode so titled Dry Spell.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

I know it’s tv but first dr lim telling pt #1 she can be fast tracked into financial aid; #2 allowing someone to stay in hospital to have a date? Seriously there are people with good insurance have brain surgery and are sent home same day, i can usually just roll with it but both scenarios were so ridiculous .

I mean with the financial aid program I have to imagine it would've been "you are undocumented, give us your financials and you should qualify" if she had said the truth

• Useful 1

Let's recap:

Woman comes to the hospital for pain and she has hemorrhoids. As it is usual in this show, she needs surgery! now! 

But wait, woman MUST have sex with this guy because it its her first time and he will be in town for just a few days and recovery from surgery includes abstinence and she will DIE! if she does not have sex.

Solution: the doctors will pimp her out to a guy who promptly accepts the idea to have sex in a hospital with someone guarding the door. Yeah, that's soooooo romantic and practical and not dismissive of real human feelings and organic interactions at all.

I am convinced, and I say that without snark, that the writers are just mocking us now. They are certainly mocking autistic people on how they write the autistic character. It was never good, but it used to fall into the category - clueless neurotypical people write about autism because they want to be the 'splainers of autistic brains. Now it is simply making fun of the autistic character, by extension of all autistic people, as if they need coaching at all times, never learn ANY social skills and have no sense of anything really. And the writers must also be teenagers of adults with a serious case of arrested development because no real adult would come up with such stories. 

I can imagine them writing this episode and giggling every time the words "vagina", "penis" and "masturbation" came up . Pathetic, really

• Love 2
On 3/29/2022 at 1:16 PM, Glade said:

This felt more absurd and boring than usual

I agree, it was a snoozer.  I don't care about Shaun and Lea's sex life.  Almost makes me miss Salen.

I was impressed that they were actually featuring a nurse for a change, but turns out he wasn't there to be a nurse, he was there to be a love interest.

Other than that, the episode seemed to be mainly doctors lurking around in the room eavesdropping on their patients' personal lives.

18 hours ago, bros402 said:

I mean with the financial aid program I have to imagine it would've been "you are undocumented, give us your financials and you should qualify" if she had said the truth

exactly lol. 

Fun seeing Donna Lynne Champlin from Crazy Ex Girlfriend as the 45 year old virgin, that plot was silly but sweet. I was worried that things would go wrong or that the date would be weirded out, but it seems like it went well, even with some...technical difficulties. 

People at this hospital sure are open about their personal lives huh? I really want to hear more about that janitor and his sex swing, or maybe we're better off leaving it to the imagination. After so many episodes of this show and other medical dramas having their doctors putting so much of their personal baggage onto their patients and sharing so much of their personal lives with them, I'm shocked that none of my doctors or nurses answer my medical questions with long winded rambles about their own backstories. I am also pretty concerned that I will go in to get a flu shot and by the end I will have gotten sixteen extra shots because my nurse is forever traumatized by her step sister not getting all of her shots and dying because of it, and now she gives extra shots to every patient, as she will certainly explain to me. In detail. 

Way to go Asher!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 3/30/2022 at 5:12 PM, rmontro said:

I was impressed that they were actually featuring a nurse for a change, but turns out he wasn't there to be a nurse, he was there to be a love interest.

My thoughts exactly.

I enjoyed the older woman loses her virginity in the hospital with the help of medical staff storyline more when it was on Scrubs. 

In a bad, silly episode, Asher’s story about his teenage boyfriend felt real and heart wrenching. I can’t stand the annoying nurse he’s going to date though.

• Love 1
On 3/30/2022 at 3:12 PM, rmontro said:

Other than that, the episode seemed to be mainly doctors lurking around in the room eavesdropping on their patients' personal lives.

Why is it that patients on medical dramas can't have personal conversations with loved ones without doctors lurking?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The scheduled lover was coming from out of town to have sex with her (I think he was in town for some business reason or something like that and they arranged to meet and hook up while he was there), and if she didn't do it right then, he was not going to be around to give her another chance. They weren't in an on-going relationship, he was doing her a favor as a colleague, IIRC. 

• Useful 2
22 minutes ago, possibilities said:

The scheduled lover was coming from out of town to have sex with her (I think he was in town for some business reason or something like that and they arranged to meet and hook up while he was there), and if she didn't do it right then, he was not going to be around to give her another chance. They weren't in an on-going relationship, he was doing her a favor as a colleague, IIRC. 

But why must it happen in the hospital?  Did she have a heart condition and was likely to die if she had an orgasm?  It seemed like she had surgery afterwards.  What for?

• Useful 1

She had to have surgery, and so she was in the hospital already. She couldn't really leave the hospital, so they let her have sex there instead of cancelling her date. I mean... it's TV, so I'm not saying this is what a real hospital would have done, but that's what the story was.

She had to have surgery, and so she was in the hospital already. She couldn't really leave the hospital, so they let her have sex there instead of cancelling her date. I mean... it's TV, so I'm not saying this is what a real hospital would have done, but that's what the story was.

Also, it was a big deal because she had never had sex with anyone, so they made a big deal about how she had waited so long, she didn't want to miss her chance. 

• Useful 1
On 3/30/2022 at 2:09 AM, mojito said:

There really isn't much they can do with the show. Shaun is just as socially inept as he was at the start. His relationships with women are unlikely, especially with someone like Leah. I doubt hospitals would allow him near patients and his co workers would report him for being inappropriate, which is often.

The virgin storyline was boring and would she really want to lose it in a hospital? 

• Love 1

This episode was ridiculous! 

The patient with haemorrhoids who wanted to get laid? Firstly ugh. Secondly wtf? Letting her get laid in the hospital? The fuck?! Scrubs did a storyline similar to this only they did it better.

Like a lot of the plot lines on this show the undocumented storyline felt like an after school special. 

• Useful 1
On 3/30/2022 at 11:44 AM, Virtual said:

I also liked to see Andrews take Glassman’s advice and use the company softball games to establish more rapport with his employees.

Whereas I never see our CEO of the hospital................seems he's tucked away in his office, not playing baseball or performing surgery LOL

I know it's just acting but seriously, how does Jordan walk around in heels all day long????

On 4/2/2022 at 4:03 AM, tennisgurl said:

doctors putting so much of their personal baggage onto their patients and sharing so much of their personal lives with them

Recovering from surgery a few years ago, my surgeon came in on a Sunday to check up on me....his son in tow as they were on their way somewhere, though he stayed outside in the corridor.

There's NO WAY our medical staff here discuss their personal lives with patients....yes I know, it's TV and it's drama, but come on, be a bit more realistic.

• Love 1
On 4/26/2022 at 1:09 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

It seemed like she had surgery afterwards.  What for?

Exploded haemorrhoids apparently LOL...........................well they'd burst and I think they said become septic or will become septic if not treated ASAP.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1