Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Don’t Get Attached

• Start Topic

Wow, that was a really good episode. They finally gave us a couple of cornerstones of the story.

The actors who played the younger Carolyn, Konstantin et all. did a damn fine job copying their mannerisms and signature expressions.
Whether Vilanelle is dead or not (I'd go with the latter), the scene where she gets shot and drops dead (?) immediately is pathetically unrealistic. It didn't come as much of a surprise that she quickly got bored killing abusive husbands.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 10

If Eve’s husband can survive a pitchfork I’m guessing Villanelle can survive a single arrow.

I’d actually be impressed if a show killed off one of its two main leads three episodes before it ended, but I’m not gonna bet the farm (even the one where Eve’s husband got pitchforked) on that happening.

• Love 8

How funny that The Twelve started as a bunch of teens/twentysomethings playing anarchist!

ETA: It seemed a bit of a stretch that Eve recognized Carolyn in the old videotape. Young Carolyn looked nothing like present-day Carolyn.

And what the heck was with that orange outfit Villanelle was wearing? It looked like a clown’s pajamas!

Edited by CarpeFelis
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

ETA: It seemed a bit of a stretch that Eve recognized Carolyn in the old videotape. Young Carolyn looked nothing like present-day Carolyn.

Not to state the obvious, but of course young Carolyn doesn't look like old Carolyn in the show - they're different actresses.  (And I think they did a great job of casting young Carolyn, both in appearance and her ability to capture Carolyn's mannerisms.)  Unless you gained/lost a lot of weight through the years, or otherwise made a drastic change in your appearance (plastic surgery, nose job, wildly different hair/makeup styles) your 20 something self will bear a great resemblance to your 60 something self. 

Villanelle's arrow - I'm guessing the tip was poisoned.  Otherwise, she wouldn't have gone down so quickly.  I wasn't thrilled with Eve's reaction, though, it was a bit over the top mother cradling her child type level.  I suppose this is supposed to show Eve's true, raw feelings for Villanelle, but I still don't understand how we get there.  But as far as a tit for tat goes, damn, you don't mess with Helene, or at least not with her child! 

I cannot fathom how they are going to wrap this up in 3 episodes. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, chaifan said:

Not to state the obvious, but of course young Carolyn doesn't look like old Carolyn in the show - they're different actresses.  (And I think they did a great job of casting young Carolyn, both in appearance and her ability to capture Carolyn's mannerisms.)

They could have found someone who looked a bit more like her. Young Konstantin was unmistakable.

• Love 6

Geez, Carolyn blithely stating last week that her dad had "a penchant for the penis," and then this week we see that she discovered him after he committed suicide due to blackmail. The woman's had a rough life.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, Cranberry said:

Geez, Carolyn blithely stating last week that her dad had "a penchant for the penis," and then this week we see that she discovered him after he committed suicide due to blackmail. The woman's had a rough life.

Her Dad's homosexuality was revealed as early as season 2 I think so I appreciated the continuity (I assumed Villanelle's Truth or Dare question was just a callback to that, not realizing it was a setup for the blackmail story that was another echo for Carolyn of her own hand in blackmailing a colleague who committed suicide.) I also liked that the gun she pointed at K in the flashback seemed to be the same one she pointed at him in the S3 finale (ultimately shooting Paul with it instead)! Given the antiquated style (even for the Cold War era) I assume it too was her father's.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Villanelle certainly knew how to take care of the abusive husband, didn't she?   What an appropriate end to the awful husband.     However, Benita (Bernita?) certainly shouldn't have broadcast to her friends about Villanelle's service to abused wives.   

How awful that Carolyn found her father's body.  This episode is clearing up so many questions for me about the backstory, and Carolyn and Konstantin. 

I hate Villanelle's orange flowered pant suit. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, SHD said:

I just don’t know about this season. I kind of want to just see a series about Konstantin mentoring the odd morgue worker girl. 

Glad she didn't let him dress her like V. She looked cute in the outfit she picked.

• Love 2

Ok, so The Twelve started as a bunch of loutish "anarchists" in the 80s?   So what as been their current purpose?  Are they trying to overturn the New World Order or are just a bunch of fancy thugs who are getting rich off of corruption in high places?  I am so confused at this point.  I just hope that awful serial killer that she is, Villenelle survives the arrow.    And I still don't understand what Eve is doing in all of this.  

• Love 7
On 3/21/2022 at 4:39 AM, Aulty said:

Wow, that was a really good episode. They finally gave us a couple of cornerstones of the story.

The actors who played the younger Carolyn, Konstantin et all. did a damn fine job copying their mannerisms and signature expressions.
Whether Vilanelle is dead or not (I'd go with the latter), the scene where she gets shot and drops dead (?) immediately is pathetically unrealistic. It didn't come as much of a surprise that she quickly got bored killing abusive husbands.

I'm wondering if Helene had set this up with Villanelle beforehand and that V has a bulletproof vest or something similar (arrow proof?) under her clothes.   This way, Helene taught Eve a lesson but Villanelle isn't really dead either.   Helene had sprung V from jail so why would she kill her?  Plus V can also see if Eve is going to be upset about her "demise".  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

Helene had sprung V from jail so why would she kill her?

Well, knowing these people, that might have been a good enough reason to get her out.

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

I'm wondering if Helene had set this up with Villanelle beforehand and that V has a bulletproof vest or something similar (arrow proof?) under her clothes.   This way, Helene taught Eve a lesson but Villanelle isn't really dead either.   Helene had sprung V from jail so why would she kill her?  Plus V can also see if Eve is going to be upset about her "demise".  

Well she sprung her to kill Carolyn which she didn’t do, so I’m not sure Helene sees a lot of ROI there…

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Chiming in to agree that they did a damned good job of casting young Carolyn. And I’m quite picky about this. Example-all the way through watching Yellowjackets I kept thinking one young actress was playing a younger version of Natasha Lyonne rather than a younger version of Christina Ricci (Lyonne isn’t on the show). And another example-don’t get me started with how the actress playing the younger version of Julie Walters in the Mamma Mia sequel has acqua blue eyes when Walters has dark eyes.

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 3
On 3/22/2022 at 10:04 PM, TVbitch said:

What was Eve trying to accomplish by kidnapping Helene's daughter? 

Eve was demonstrating to Helene that she knows her weakness and isn't afraid to exploit it. It was a power play on Eve's part. Of course Helene then had to say, "Well, two can play that game..." hence Villanelle getting shot with an arrow in front of Eve. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

Young Konstantin was played by Kim Bodnia's real-life son, Louis Bodnia Andersen. No wonder he was so recognizable!

I wonder if they really had the same laugh.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I wonder if they really had the same laugh.

Rather shamefacedly I confess that I didn't know who that young guy was supposed to be until I heard the laugh. The episodes feel so disjointed that I don't pay close attention to what's going on.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Rather shamefacedly I confess that I didn't know who that young guy was supposed to be until I heard the laugh. The episodes feel so disjointed that I don't pay close attention to what's going on.

I didn’t either. It was the laugh that clued me in. But I assumed that it was dubbed in or something. Now that I know it was his real life son, I wonder if he was able to imitate it or maybe even also really laughed that way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I was so impressed with the casting for the younger versions of Carolyn, Konstanin, and guy-in-the-photo.  I knew right away who they were supposed to be.

Of course Villanelle gets bored killing nasty husbands - hardly any challenge in that for her.

I'm curious what happens next... I can't imaging that Villanelle is really dead.

Eve tries really hard, but I don't think that she is at the same level of mastermind as Helene, and as such, Helene gets her every time.

Still trying to figure out how Pam really fits into all of this.

• Love 3
(edited)

Why would a spy claim to be a nationality whose language he wasn't fluent in? Young Konstantin was not smart if he was so easily made by Young Carolyn .

Was Villanelle's father the guy who fell into the lake?

It would seem Villanelle's clothing is meant to be part of her cover, a distraction. Konstantin is training Pam the same way, or trying to. She doesn't really have the height or the physique for couture fashions.

I was expecting Villanelle to snap Konstantin's neck after their big hug. Looked like he was too.

When they do the Russell Wilson biopic (🙄) he really should insist they get the guy playing Yusuf to portray him. The resemblance is uncanny to me, though Robert Gilbert is clearly much taller than Wilson.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
On 4/2/2022 at 10:18 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Why would a spy claim to be a nationality whose language he wasn't fluent in? Young Konstantin was not smart if he was so easily made by Young Carolyn.

I think Konstantin was pretending not to recognize Russian, not failing to recognize the language of his cover story.

• Useful 1

I had no idea young Carolyn was Carolyn until she was called by name. She looks nothing like present day Carolyn. As a poster above noted, the noses are nothing alike. But as I say, “This is Hollywood!” and all theater requires a suspension of disbelief so sure, Eve was able to recognize Carolyn from the old film.

But what is the current status/purpose of The 12? Aside from Carolyn and Konstantine, everyone else seems to have faded into pedestrian lives. They don’t keep in touch so where’s the power source of The 12? Is Mr. Pink Suit in Cuba the same guy living in Carolina’s family cabin? What were young Carolyn and present day Carolyn doing in that house looking at the same note? Who hid the note and why? That combo scene between 1979 and today, breaking into the same house, seemed so …. Confusing. 

Going back a few episodes, when Carolyn approached the Russians and her new handler addressed her as “Traitor” my first thought was that originally she was Russian (Soviet) and had turned traitor to pretend to be British and that was the meaning of the insult. I’m still holding that thought as a possibility. 

So who does Carolyn work for? Is she alone The 12? What is the current purpose of The 12? Is it still to disrupt? Did young Carolyn ever believe in the tenants of The 12 or did she use their passion for some other purpose? And what a crew! They hardly seem like the group to assemble to disrupt global …Economies? Political structures?  
What was the deal young Carolyn was going to offer to Konstantine on the dock before they were interrupted?

I guess when I come here and start drafting comments I come up with questions and reasons to watch.

I’m not interested in a spin-off (famous last words😄) so I hope we get some resolution in the end.

On 3/22/2022 at 6:04 PM, CarpeFelis said:

They could have found someone who looked a bit more like her. Young Konstantin was unmistakable.

I didn’t know that was supposed to be Konstantine until he laughed. I guessed young Caroline right off.

The 12 is becoming less impressive by the episode. And Eve is like a pretend assassin. The charm has worn off.

Edited by Ottis