Type keyword(s) to search

Is It Cake? - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This show is insane and I love it. I watched four episodes late last night. The format is odd with how the contestants pick each other. My only real complaint is the beginning of the series spoils what cakes are...cake.

• Love 2

Really enjoyed it.  I've always liked Mikey Day on SNL and I think he was a great fit here.  I hope they do a season 2.

I think I liked that it had a similar vibe to GBBO: good-natured overall, talented contestants, and no manufactured, OTT drama.  I did like that sometimes the judges were more stressed than the contestants, but also their amazement at how authentic the cakes looked.  Just really good, all around. 

• Love 7

Currently on the third episode and enjoying this show.  It took me an episode or two to get used to the format (how the contestants select each other, how the judges taste the cakes they identify right away but then taste the cakes they didn't identify together after all three rounds, etc).  But this has been a really good background show for household chores.  Also, I loved how the contestants started making up terms to play a bit with Mikey Day.

My only complaint is that I think 20 seconds is too short for the judges to guess which one is cake.  I get that they don't want to give them too much time and really want the "OMG! This is sooo hard! Which one is it?!?!?!?!?!" moments but there isn't much discourse that can happen in 20 seconds.  I think that if they extended the time to 60 seconds, that would be enough time for the judges to have a small conversation and maybe come to a consensus while still feeling the time crunch.  Otherwise, it just feels like the judges are picking an object at random and that's really not that interesting to me.

• Love 9

I wonder what would happen if all of the cakes were identified.   No winner?  Or would it be lucky loser?  I think that's why they don't want too much discussion because usually at 1 person of the 3 sees the cake.

I guessed the winner as soon as they appeared because I think I recognized them from another show.  I do wish they would have said a little bit about why they selected who they did.  

1 hour ago, zenithwit said:

How the judges taste the cakes they identify right away but then taste the cakes they didn't identify together after all three rounds, etc)

And the few times they taste the cake right after being fooled, it's a dead give away that they find the other two so that person wins the round outright.

I did laugh every time "Mikey asks if it's cake."

• Love 3

I'm on episode 3 and I like it so far.  I've never heard of Mikey Day before and he seemed like a bit much at the beginning, but he's grown on me.  I like that the contestants seem supportive of one another and aren't all backstabby.

The judges seem to be pretty far away from the actual items and don't get quite enough time to come to a consensus, but I guess that's the point.  If they were able to inspect things too closely and had too much time to confer they'd probably guess which one is cake most of the time.  

All in all, a fun show!

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, PupCal said:
  Hide contents

April

was robbed.

Spoiler

Eh, I think her actual structure should've been cake. Only the base was. That felt like a cheat to me. It definitely looked amazing, but Andrew's cake was all cake. He's super annoying, but incredibly talented.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 3/19/2022 at 11:18 AM, bilgistic said:

. My only real complaint is the beginning of the series spoils what cakes are...cake.

I knew that was going to happen so quickly fast forward about 2 minutes in the first episode. 

First episode: 

Spoiler

I thought the winner cheated when he added his bright red tomatoes to one of the real tacos which I believe they picked. Not sure if he made those tomatoes or they were his real example ones that happened to be bright red. Either way something was off in that segment. 

• Love 2

Please don't use spoiler tags for episodes that have already dropped (in other words--all of them.)

I know you'd like to be respectful for those who are in different places but you can do this by being clear what episode you're talking about before you start sharing your thoughts.  Those who haven't gotten that far can opt to skip those sections of your post.

Thank you!

• Love 1

Up to episode 6, good series so far. The bakers are all extremely talented and the show gives them plenty of time to complete. I do feel bad for everyone else that has to sit and watch for the full 8 hours without baking. It does seem like they all have built good chemistry with each other and Mikey so that keeps it fun.

Of the gimmick baking shows, this is a keeper. 

I would like to see who is making all of the non contestant cakes. Maybe they can do a bonus behind the scenes episode. 

• Love 6
On 3/19/2022 at 10:40 PM, bilgistic said:

I've seen him on at least one Food Network baking competition. He's a lot to take.

I recognized him and I'm not a fan. 

21 hours ago, scorp01 said:

I'm on episode 3 and I like it so far.  I've never heard of Mikey Day before and he seemed like a bit much at the beginning, but he's grown on me.  I like that the contestants seem supportive of one another and aren't all backstabby.

I hope so, he was annoying me a bit. 

Edited by libgirl2

Finished all episodes and I liked it overall.  I didn't know who 90% of the judges were, but I guess they saved the more known/recognizable ones for the finale.

I liked April more than Andrew and wished she had won but I totally agree with Bilgistic:

On 3/20/2022 at 12:32 PM, bilgistic said:

Eh, I think her actual structure should've been cake. Only the base was. That felt like a cheat to me. It definitely looked amazing, but Andrew's cake was all cake. He's super annoying, but incredibly talented.

Plus, he made two different flavors for each half of his suitcase cake.

Wouldn't mind another season!

Edited by scorp01
  • Love 4

I'm only on three, but I came here knowing I'd be spoiled, and kind of wanting to because the only baker I can't stand I was afraid would win and I wanted to be emotionally prepared (ok, I'm not taking it that seriously but I love all the other bakers). And last night was Andrew's shell, so that truly was impressive, so he's got the skills. Nina's clutch purse the night before, though, was a revelation. I recognized Hemu and Andrew, but I also think a few of the other bakers look familiar, maybe from one offs, like one of Food Network's cookie or other shows where they use different bakers each episode. Too lazy too look it up, but I can't wait for tonight to see that adorable teen finally bake! 

Mikey Day is fun in this! I didn't know if I'd like him in this role, but yep, he makes it even more fun. 

I will watch pretty much any skills/talent-based competition show, and Netflix is becoming my go-to. This one feels like they threw it together pretty quickly. I feel like there were already adjustments from episode one to two, like how they taste the cake(s), but it's fun and I like that the bakers got together to prank Mikey about tiltscape being a baking word. They're a fun crew.      

Edited by Darian
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Spoilers for the end:

I really liked April. She seemed sweet and I wanted her to win. I do agree with the outcome though as Andrew did a lot more and it really looked convincing. Plus he won 3 challenges before that. So no upset there.

It appears that many just use silicone molds of the object and then pressed modeling chocolate. Very little sculpting. The painting ends up being the real skill that sells the final cake. 

Loved the podiums being cake.

Bring on season 2!

• Love 1

Watched four last night and Justin and Steve were each funny and talented in their own way. Justin is a just a ray of pure sunshine. The talent level is so strong and I do enjoy seeing how they work, 

I also did some soul-searching about why I don't like Andrew, because I figured it was from a Food Network appearance, but I couldn't remember specifics and am NEVER the one saying someone's hair and dress are a call for attention or wrong for their age or whatever. I am the most "Let people like things" and "Wear what makes you happy" person you could ever meet. But he reminded me. When Johnny I think it was called out that he wanted Steve to make his wedding cake Andrew was all "Hey, what about me?" (and that's consistently been him. He was that way about not getting the steak, too. And he at times seemed to pull back from trash-talking, but enough got out that you could see it a little. He backed off on something with Justin, because imo he didn't want to look like he was kicking a puppy. Anyway, I feel reassured that someone could have wilder hair and personal style and I'd like them, but boo on Anthony. Yet, I still cheered when he got the right cash register (which I immediately thought was the cake, but still, they looked similar). He's talented and I don't mind seeing that rewarded. 

• Love 2

Competitive reality shows aren't subject to Standards and Practices (which monitors fir cheating VERY closely) and it showed like a neon light with Andrew. 

The second cash register was so obviously cake they might as well have had a giant arrow pointing at it. But what was truly infuriating was the elimination round. There was no way that the judges didn't see the crap job he did on the rims (at least one didn't even go all the way around) -- it was obvious from their podiums much less when they got close up.

I knew then that the fix was in and knew that he was going to win.  I didn't bother with the last 3 episodes and won't bother with this unfair show.

• Love 6

I’m on #4 and I have way too many serious thoughts than I should have. 

- do they get set up with a station with every possible tool & ingredient? Seems that way, since one of the early competitors was working with something he’d never used before.

- what’s up with Andrew’s glasses? They seem to change from scene to scene. What are those things on the frames, googly eyes? 

- I like how (so far) the contestants trash talk each other a bit, but overall seem very supportive of each other. And also like how they’re ganging up on Mikey with the fake terms. Okay I know it’s probably all scripted but it doesn’t take much to amuse me. 

- the judges are fun but the only one I’ve even vaguely recognized is somebody feamster(?). Loved the guy who might have been pulled in off the street on his first visit to LA. 

I’ve only skimmed through the comments from people who have seen the whole thing so I hope my sugary fondant bubble isn’t burst when I watch the rest. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Fortune Feimster. She has a really funny standup special on Netflix. She used to be on Chelsea Lately.

Yes that’s her. I was too lazy to IMDb her, but she turns up on a lot of stuff I’ve seen. She’s in Keenan Thompson’s sitcom. 

• Love 1

I'm in the UK this week, and I've gotten addicted to Gogglebox (check it out on YouTube, if you haven't seen it. So good).  This week, they had the families watch Is It Cake?, and at first they were making fun of it, but by the end, they were nuts for it.

• Love 1

Very few of the judges could tell what was cake and what was real. It seemed like they always put the cakes on the back row and from 20 feet away it was harder to spot them.

I was disappointed with Steve's bowling pin and Justin's tackle box....too obvious for both. 

Andrew got rid of his main competition early in the final rounds. Very strategic.

I can't stop watching this. It also caused a trip to Target to get those "funfetti-in a mug" single serving cake mixes.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 1

I am only on ep 2 and oh my lands Michael Yo is freaking attractive. I used to love him on Chelsea Lately although both he and Chelsea didn't seem to love him there---he never seemed mean enough to be there--but this is the first time I've seen him since then. Beautiful. Just a lot of pretty all over his face 

• Love 1

I love love love this show. These bakers are so so so talented!

I really like the host too! I thought he was a little off at first but he really grew on me. He's wacky, good fun and more importantly not mean spirited.

I'm terrible at spotting the money bags, cash register cakes. 

• Love 1

I was surprised at how poorly Steve did on the bowling pin.  Did he just give up? His asparagus was amazing.  I was wondering if the bowling pin - with the obviously bad rings was a decoy to fake out the judges.  I was like, really? What happened? 

I think I only missed two of the money bags. I could not tell which podium was the cake. They have some amazingly talented people behind the scenes making cakes for this show.  I did note though, that when doing luggage or handbags, the contestants are better off not making the leather looping luggage straps. 

I liked the host up to a point. Towards the end of the season, he seemed to be pushing the creepiness factor. 

• Love 1

I never intended to watch this but I saw Johnny on something else and... it's kind of a charming show. I don't really need the peanut gallery on the side (did they really make them sit there for 8 hours!?!) and the host is a lot but it has some vibes of Food Network before it got too unbearable. It is nice that there are apparently no eliminations.

For the first test I guessed either the fried chicken sandwich or the drink.

Based on their portfolio photos, Hemu seemed like the one to beat. She did the most detailed, realistic work. Sam's work looked okay but her painting gave it away in all of the photos. Johnny's style looked good for a novice baker but I couldn't get much of a read on him. 

Johnny had the most personality of the three highlighted in the first episode but it wasn't annoying like the people, even on Nailed It, who seem to think they're going to be famous.

Final cakes: The tomato was bad on Sam's burger but it helped that the judges were standing far back and the decoy buns looked kind of weird and had other elements that seemed off. Hemu's breakfast croissant was a little dark (almost burnt) but pretty solid. The thickness of bread on the bottom was suspicious because there's no way those would be the two halves of a croissant you cut in half. Again, I felt the decoys were helpful. Johnny was smart to put the fake jelly tomatoes in the decoy (I guess there was nothing in the rules about messing with the decoys) though he also did a solid job with his cake.

Episode 2 With the first quiz, the bag was obviously the cake. Like Johnny, I got confused because it was so obvious and forgot you just had to identify the one cake and started looking for one thing that wasn't a cake. 

April's portfolio was okay. Strong sculpting, meh painting, some cheats like the sushi "rice."

It was difficult to get a read on Nina's portfolio because there was some impressive sculpting like the cat and mostly good painting but she also did some cartoony things and cheats like the labels. The wedding cakes were gorgeous but aside from the flowers, you can do that with molds and other aids.

Nina's shoes were crazy. Fun to look at but even with a chunky heel, I can't believe she stood in those for 8 hours. 

The clutch was almost ridiculously easy compared to the other two. Nina made the interesting choice to do a more detailed bag than the example she was given, but it was lumpy as hell. And ugly. It should have been obvious. She got lucky Michael went rogue and chose the pink bag. I'd have been more impressed if she'd made the pink bag. 

I feel like April's shoe was a little too smooth and the sole gave it away. The closer you get, the more obvious it is but from a distance, it was a good attempt.

Johnny's hat cake was a little too lumpy but under the lights, it worked. I would have picked 1. 

I wonder if the judges were instructed to pretend not to know because these fake cakes didn't impress that much. I didn't think there was any incentive to make a delicious cake but then it was factored into judging. Nina winning was crazy to me. There were textural details but it was SO LUMPY in a way no display bag would ever be. It looked like there were rocks inside it. 

I picked correctly on Cash or Cake. I'm really starting to see more lumpiness in the cakes. 

Episode 3: The cooler looked like cake because it had a similar fakey texture to the purse Nina made and the lines weren't straight. But the other objects did throw me, even in close up. For that round of Is It Cake, it felt like they really made some prop items. Like the towels were suspiciously squared off. The shell seemed to have a heavier base that a normal shell. The coconut was extra hairy and sitting on a weird base. The balloon seemed painted and made of something other than that synthetic/vinyl stuff. 

Some of the cakes in Andrew's portfolio were impressive. Though I continue to wonder why so many of them paint rather than airbrushing or piping when they get such streaky results. 

Dessiree's cake sounded DELICIOUS. The few portfolio cakes they showed looked impressive. 

Why wouldn't you airbrush wafer paper?

Okay, we hit the episode with the contestants trying too hard to be cute. I do think they grated a little more because I've been watching Halloween Cookie Challenge on Food Network where everyone is pretty chill (unless there's a disaster brewing) and not trying to ham it up for the camera.

I do love that they were so bored they came up with tiltscape. It's crazy they make them sit there for hours not doing anything. 

Andrew did a nice job coloring the shell with the pigments. So many of the conchs up there looked weird. I would have avoided 2 and 3 just for being pointy.

For Nina, 1 and 3 were good decoys because you could easily replicated a coconut like that. 5 was obvious if you were close enough to see the ugly sugar strands but 2 and 4 also looked weird. Production is really helping with the decoys. But I continue to be unimpressed with Nina's work. It's so obviously cake if you're near it. 

Dessiree's cake was mostly a bucket and she was able to use that as a mold... Up close you could see some air bubbles but that floppy handle is what really messed her up.

Andrew's cake was OBVIOUSLY better.

In Cake or Cash, the cake was obviously on the right, even from a distance. Though it might be hard to be so sure in 15 seconds.

Episode 4

Find That Cake - Instantly 1, 5, and 6 stood out at a distance. Close up, definitely 1. 

I didn't get a great read on Justin's portfolio because he did a lot of stylized stuff but the purse cakes looked good. Steve's cakes were a little stylized as well but the textures he was going for with the fruit basket, frog, etc. seemed spot on. It definitely looked more like home decor stuff than cake.

I don't like milk chocolate but otherwise the cake flavors sounded good. I don't pay that much attention because unlike Food Network shows or Bake Off, you'll never find recipes posted anywhere.

Farley was actually the only judge I recognized. Who are these people?

Justin's steak really didn't look very good at all. It was harder to tell from a distance but the styrofoam tray was also wonky. 

I thought Steve did a pretty good job with his produce. The asparagus spears weren't perfect because he didn't use a mold but the colors were solid. His mold didn't capture all the spikes on the fruit but I don't know if you could tell at a distance. I think he was helped by the other display items being so weirdly shiny. Why was all the asparagus so shiny? I appreciated his work smarter not harder strategy here because the simpler techniques seemed to give him time to nail all the colors. The cauliflower was suspicious. He could have done a better job but it was mostly hidden by the other objects. 

Andrew did a lovely job with the challah bread. The colors were great. 

Cake or Cash - Obviously 2. But they did something to the screens on cash register 1. Again, these seem like weird prop items. 

Now that I've finished the season, I really think there were times the cake was obvious and the judges were just being kind to the contestants. Which wasn't really fair if someone was eliminated. It was the most egregious in the finale as they all looked like cakes but April's cake and Andrew's cake were obviously different from the others. April's was very matte and lacked the detailing except compared to the banged up sewing machine they did pick. And Andrew's was a good cake but obviously a different color and texture than any other suitcase, though again, the very basic one they picked was a good decoy. But like, come on. It would have been much harder to pick Hemu's bust cake at a distance. I'd be fine if they just judged all three cakes on taste/up close. There have been other episodes where I call shenanigans on them being able to find the cake. Either in the choice or in the verbal critiques they are very generous towards what are obviously cakes. 

It started as a Friday night whim to see if they actually made a show based on this concept and then we watched the whole S1 in a day. Oops. Overall, pretty fun. The lack of real animosity and the competence of the bakers was a nice, low-stakes binge. I have nitpicks and questions about some of it all and how "real" it tended to be, but I'll live with those since the end product worked out reasonably well. 

The end card announced Season 2 is coming, if you hadn't heard that yet. 

• Love 1
On 3/7/2023 at 2:31 PM, LADreamr said:

Looks like season 2 drops next week!  March 17.

June 30th.  I still have The Bear to watch but I got sucked into this show again.  It's still so much fun.  

I don't love the change of eliminating a contestant each episode. I liked last season when they had a second chance to prove themselves.  This is especially the case with episode three when a strong baker was eliminated because the judges couldn't get their vote in on time for two of the contestants.  

In episode two, hats off to those judges for finding all five of the cakes.  That's pretty impressive--especially the Peleton trainer judge who noticed nuances other judges might not have because of her familiarity with the equipment. 

• Like 2
(edited)

They've changed several of the rules from last season, to make the show more consistent and improve the flow. There were times it felt like they were making it up as they went along, which I guess is inevitable in the first season of a new show.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Like 1
On 7/1/2023 at 10:23 AM, Rammchick said:

They've changed several of the rules from last season, to make the show more consistent and improve the flow. There were times it felt like they were making it up as they went along, which I guess is inevitable in the first season of a new show.

I do wonder about the rules. Like, somehow it doesn’t seem fair that a contestant can mess with a decoy. But I guess it’s some combination of making it up as they go along, contestants not wanting to make waves, maybe getting compensated enough that everyone’s fine with it …?  I guess even if they don’t take home any (or much) cash, they all get a big publicity boost/bragging rights in their local market. 

Anyway, it was all enough of a fun diversion that I was fine with going along with it. 

• Like 1
On 6/30/2023 at 11:20 PM, Door County Cherry said:

June 30th.  I still have The Bear to watch but I got sucked into this show again.  It's still so much fun.  

I don't love the change of eliminating a contestant each episode. I liked last season when they had a second chance to prove themselves.  This is especially the case with episode three when a strong baker was eliminated because the judges couldn't get their vote in on time for two of the contestants.  

In episode two, hats off to those judges for finding all five of the cakes.  That's pretty impressive--especially the Peleton trainer judge who noticed nuances other judges might not have because of her familiarity with the equipment. 

I was so disappointed by that elimination.  The contestant was so accomplished and impressive. And I was looking forward to seeing what they would have created if given more time.

• Like 4
On 7/3/2023 at 3:32 PM, nichelle said:

I was so disappointed by that elimination.  The contestant was so accomplished and impressive. And I was looking forward to seeing what they would have created if given more time.

I’ve never heard of her outside of the show, but the way the contestants spoke of her, it seemed like she was just a ringer who was doing this for fun, and perhaps her early exit was prearranged. 

I don’t love this new format, especially when they have to pick multiple cakes each round. There’s no time management, so the cakes on the far end get the advantage, since they’re mostly working from right to left as they evaluate. Episode 3 with staggering every other cake evened the playing field, but given how often the judges ran out of time, and then  immediately pointed out the cakes, it didn’t seem like they were tricked. 

• Like 3
On 7/2/2023 at 9:18 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I do wonder about the rules. Like, somehow it doesn’t seem fair that a contestant can mess with a decoy.

Yeah, I don't think they even had the opportunity to do that in the first season. Of course there were more decoys in the first season so it probably wasn't necessary.

I was stunned when the lady who actually wrote a book on cake objects was eliminated. 

• Like 1

I thought there was a whole thing season one where someone added a fondant tomato to the decoy salad... so I think staging the decoys has always been a thing. I just wish they would be clearer what the rules are with that.

I really hate the eliminations. I think it takes away from the camaraderie of the cast. Season one, some of the best parts were the commentary from the non-playing contestants.

• Like 4
On 7/8/2023 at 12:24 PM, absnow54 said:

don’t love this new format, especially when they have to pick multiple cakes each round. There’s no time management, so the cakes on the far end get the advantage, since they’re mostly working from right to left as they evaluate.

Not only that but the first cakes to go had the advantage of being in the place where if the judges were going to not get their votes in, it'd be with those cakes. IIRC, all of the mixups happened with the first bout of judging for the judges so it's not really that the cakes were superior in confusing the judges but the judges realizing they needed to get their stuff together for the later rounds.

I'm okay that they stage the decoys a little bit. The only thing I think should be prohibited is staging the decoys to look fake.  

• Like 1

While I enjoyed the season, I missed not having bakers eliminated and getting to keep them around the whole time. Feel like it was better the old way in that respect - especially since some only ended up eliminated/up for elimination because the judges didn’t lock in an answer.

• Like 1

I don't like the changes to the judging this season. Ideally they are trying for 10 seconds per match, but when you are doing 2 rounds of 3 and 2 (at 30 and 20 seconds respectively) it still doesn't feel fair. 

If the rounds had the same number of cakes to find (3 and 3 or 2 and 2) that would be fine. Otherwise just give them a flat 10 seconds with 1 cake and decoys each. 

If they want to shake up how the judging works, then maybe the decoys should be more akin to the themes the bakers have to pick from at the start. So instead of saying "You have to find the basketball shoe that is cake" the decoys are various types of shoes, and the judges have to pick the one that is cake. Or various basketball related items (a basketball shoe, a basketball, maybe a gatorade bottle) and they have to pick from that. 

• Like 2

I think they should give each judge a keypad, and have at least 3 decoys a cake. Then, it's did you fool ALL the judges, MOST of the judges, ONE judge, or NO judges. You eliminate the scramble of the judges trying to communicate, and you give a more objective basis if you must eliminate people.

• Like 2
On 7/11/2023 at 4:07 PM, Starry-Eyed said:

I think they should give each judge a keypad, and have at least 3 decoys a cake.

Yeah, kind of like how the bakers start each round trying to find the cake.

I know this isn't a serious baking competition (the judges are always Netflix personalities or Mikey Day's friends) but it kind of bothered me that Elizabeth won (even though she was by far one of the most talented) because she picked the same style cake every time. If they had one consistent professional as a judge, I feel like she would have been forced to take more risks.

• Like 2
(edited)

Damn it, I wanted Miko to win! I'm even more annoyed it was Liz because I checked out her website (The London Baker) before the finale and there are countless spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors on every single page! The most egregious spelling errors are in the Realm menu, especially in the "Pastries and Scones" section: 'chedder,' 'Engligh Scone,' 'Spinish and fetta,' 'Eral Gray'...to name just a few. In the FAQ there's an answer that's placed before the question. While her two shops (Miko doesn't even have one 😢) look very nice and her cakes are amazing, she should have used some of her prize money to hire a proofreader and/or hire a web designer who has strong English skills. It's very unprofessional! I left a comment to that effect on their Facebook page.

Edited by Scout Finch