Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: D.W.B.

• Start Topic

Airing March 20, 2022:

McCall races to find Dante when he’s abducted by a pair of panicked deputies who fear reprisal, after they detained Dante without cause and used excessive force before realizing he’s a fellow cop. Alone and injured, Dante experiences hallucinations that reveal his complicated childhood.

• Love 2

You would think that with all his police training that Dante would have mastered D.W.B (Driving While Black)

GUEST CAST:
Jennifer Ferrin (D.A. Avery Grafton)
Lee Turgensen (Deputy Barnes)
Brandon Espinoza (Deputy Morales)
Destin Khari (Kyler Dante)
Tyler Williams (Stefon Dante)
Valarie Pettiford (Carol Dante)
Danny Johnson (Benjamin “Big Ben” Dante)
Jelani Dacres (8-Year-Old Dante)
Dennis Boutsikaris (Judge Clemmens)
Jackson Loo (Detective Stafford)
Ron Canada (Curtis Baker)
Johnny Sanchez (Manager)
Ashley Jordyn (Ruth)
Michael Pemberton (Sheriff Paulson)
118392_0353b.jpg
118392_1078b.jpg

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

What's there to master? When you're being profiled, you're being profiled. 

Dante could have led with "I'm a cop" and shown them his badge immediately rather than declaring that this was some bullshit and pissing them off even more. Having said that it would not surprise me at all if there were real life examples of black police officers identifying themselves to white officers and getting shot/beaten/etc anyhow. They actually did address it a bit though. Most black parents will at some point have a conversation with their kids to say "if a cop hassles you here is how you stay alive". Dante's dad gave him a "someone punches you, you punch back even harder" talk instead. Maybe Dante thinks his sons are too young for the "how to survive a police encounter" talk (his ex does say he wanted to protect their innocence) but they're already at an age where running in a store gets them instantly accused of shoplifting.

I was surprised to learn there is a bridge that connects Manhattan and West Virginia. And them there blue shields ain't welcome 'round these parts, y'hear? That was a little absurd. Cops rally for cops and will absolutely hunt down and kill bad ones without hesitation. See for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Dorner_shootings_and_manhunt. Every cop in California was looking for that dude and they did not hold back when they thought they had him. Ultimately they found the cabin he was holed up in and burnt it down with him inside of it.

Why doesn't Robyn identify herself as a police consultant? That wouldn't even be a lie and it can mean whatever the person asking thinks it means.

I feel like the DA is much more involved in police minutiae here than any DA would be in real life. Natural consequence of this show's one-precinct NYPD I guess.

• Love 3

Dante quits.. then starts hunting every redneck cop in the US... 

ETA: Or he personally reboots In The Heat Of The Night .. They call me Mr. Dante! 

Edited by paigow
  • Love 6

It was really cathartic to see that cop get what he deserved. Most shows are afraid to do that. 

Although the idea that they wouldn't have shot Dante outright at the mini mart required me to suspend my disbelief.

• Love 7

I guess that this show wanted to make it's point about white red-neck "cracker" police, but yeah, why didn't Dante just tell them that he was a cop and show them his badge?   Oh yeah, then you wouldn't have the story of an innocent Black man being brutalized for no apparent reason other than he mouthed off to a racist bigot and was going to pay the price for it.  And because it's Dante, we get to know  his background story (as opposed to if the brutalized- by- cops  victim was  a random Black man, and his family goes to Robyn for help). 

Does this mean that Dante is leaving the show?  Or will he be going to join Robyn's team?  Anybody know the behind the scenes story?  

1 hour ago, 12catcrazy said:

Does this mean that Dante is leaving the show?  Or will he be going to join Robyn's team?  Anybody know the behind the scenes story?  

Not sure... since the D.A. is the only other person in on the secret, she might do an Untouchables and recruit some fresh Academy graduates [appropriately diverse] as an Equalizer Minion Squad...

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I also didn't understand why Dante just didn't tell them he was a cop.  Of course, it could still have gone sideways especially with the older cop.  But Dante identifies himself (I get him being annoyed) and then volunteers to get his badge or he could have had the cops do it while he was still in the car.  But yes, as has been said, then you have no plot.

And of course we have the one NY precinct and the DA who seems to be available to Robyn and doesn't have any other matters on her plate.

Danta wanting to take some time away I can understand but I also did wonder why he didn't also turn in his gun.  I was also a little surprised that he killed the cop but I get the motivation.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

I don't believe he is. Not now that they are obviously moving towards Robyn and Dante getting closer. That vision Dante had of Robyn was telling.

I really appreciate how the show stayed away from the tired trope of Dante's ex-wife being suspicious of Robyn or hostile about the divorce. She had obvious concerns because she didn't know Robyn but as she said "If Marcus trusted you to keep our kids safe then so do I."

• Love 15
46 minutes ago, marceline said:

I really appreciate how the show stayed away from the tired trope of Dante's ex-wife being suspicious of Robyn or hostile about the divorce. She had obvious concerns because she didn't know Robyn but as she said "If Marcus trusted you to keep our kids safe then so do I."

They broke a lot of tropes, the wife being the workaholic, the wife thinking the kids are better off with the husband, them being good friends after the divorce, etc.

• Love 11

I don't know why everyone's saying 'why didn't he tell them', he was saying 'I'm any NYP..." when they took him down.  On most shows, the cops will say 'I'm reaching for my badge' which he didn't do.  But the deputies who stopped him should have followed proper protocol also.  Should they have asked him to step out of the car before he was identified?

• Love 9
1 hour ago, jabRI said:

I don't know why everyone's saying 'why didn't he tell them', he was saying 'I'm any NYP..." when they took him down.  On most shows, the cops will say 'I'm reaching for my badge' which he didn't do.  But the deputies who stopped him should have followed proper protocol also.  Should they have asked him to step out of the car before he was identified?

I feel like the show made it really clear that the cops were in the wrong from beginning to end. I mean this cop assaulted Dante for no reason, kidnapped him, imprisoned in a room with no food and not even so much as a bucket to piss in, planned to murder him in cold blood and dump the body, then when Dante got away he hunted him with a shotgun and knocked out his own partner. Yet somehow it's "Why didn't Dante identify himself?"

You know why? The cop would've claimed he was lying and still assaulted him when he reached for his badge because the cop was unstable, incompetent, and looking for payback for whatever colleague of his got popped and sent to the hospital.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 15

Very very hard episode to watch.

I was hoping Robyn will have found Dante before they went out to the woods.

Hopefully the older cop is dead. I needed closure as to the DA cleaning house on that sheriff's station and the younger cop getting a sentence.

• Love 7

I want to see that sheriff deal with consequences too of having shut down the investigation into a missing man. Especially a cop.

To me, Dante didn't identify himself as a cop because then he would have been using his privilege as a cop to get out of the situation. I don't think that you should have to have some sort of privilege (e.g. white, a cop) before you are treated properly under the law. Maybe Dante felt the same way, he wanted the deputies to follow the law because that was their job not because he is a cop.

3 hours ago, jabRI said:

Should they have asked him to step out of the car before he was identified?

From my viewing of US cop shows, he only needed to hand over his license and car information. Stepping out of the car can be dangerous.

Nice to see Ron Canada again (older black man) and not when he's prosecuting Worf. I knew that was going to be a bad cop as soon as I saw Lee Tergesen playing him. So type-cast.

• Love 9
41 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I want to see that sheriff deal with consequences too of having shut down the investigation into a missing man. Especially a cop.

To me, Dante didn't identify himself as a cop because then he would have been using his privilege as a cop to get out of the situation. I don't think that you should have to have some sort of privilege (e.g. white, a cop) before you are treated properly under the law. Maybe Dante felt the same way, he wanted the deputies to follow the law because that was their job not because he is a cop.

From my viewing of US cop shows, he only needed to hand over his license and car information. Stepping out of the car can be dangerous.

Nice to see Ron Canada again (older black man) and not when he's prosecuting Worf. I knew that was going to be a bad cop as soon as I saw Lee Tergesen playing him. So type-cast.

I think they were trying to almost mirror the situation that the older man that signed the NDA was in.  He did say he tried to tell the sheriffs his rights before they hauled him off. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
46 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I gotta give Tergesen credit. He's one of my favorite actors because he just delivers in every role, no matter how well or poorly written. He always swings for the fences. He made me LOATHE his character.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

And the point on Dante is, the onus was on the law enforcement officers to follow the fucking law and not use excessive force.  Oh, and also, not plan to murder a man because you were too cowardly to face the consequences.  Dante being a cop shouldn't be the reason they treat the man with dignity and respect.  My God. That's all I'll say about it, because just like Robyn stated,  "The more things change, the more they stay the same."  Including that black folks have to explain ourselves and justify our literal existence to bigots just to stay alive.  Yes, the drama was ramped up for television, but this shit absolutely has basis in real life.   

I 100% agree with this.  The other thing I don't understand (and by no means am I saying this as an excuse for those to POS officers) is why did dispatch even put out such a vague description? If I remember it correctly it was just "black man, SUV" that's basically an excuse to all the racist cops on duty to be like "well you fit the description of our suspect".   I just don't get how that description was at all useful without a partial plate or something more. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

This was a tough episode to watch. When the older black man was describing his experience...hearing his own ribs crack.  I cannot imagine.  

And the point on Dante is, the onus was on the law enforcement officers to follow the fucking law and not use excessive force.  Oh, and also, not plan to murder a man because you were too cowardly to face the consequences.  Dante being a cop shouldn't be the reason they treat the man with dignity and respect.  My God. That's all I'll say about it, because just like Robyn stated,  "The more things change, the more they stay the same."  Including that black folks have to explain ourselves and justify our literal existence to bigots just to stay alive.  Yes, the drama was ramped up for television, but this shit absolutely has basis in real life.   

I totally get why Dante walked away from the job.    

On a positive note, that little scene between Dante and Robyn when he was hallucinating was nice.    

No, it really shouldn't be. It also probably wouldn't have done anything. The other victim said the older cop it made him mad that a black man knew the law. What was it an "educated black man"? Well, how do you think the racist would feel about a black man with a badge? Despite what he kept saying to his partner I think his plan all along was to kill Dante. Either he thought his other victim was dead when he left him beside the road or he was escalating. Nothing was going to stop him from doing that. I do hope we get an update about that county being cleaned up. The sheriff needs to go and I'm sure many more. If the Sheriff has to be pressured by the judge (and that was clearly still very reluctant) he's definitely participated or allowed the beating of blacks and probably other minorities without a problem. 

• Love 2

The fact that so many are asking why Dante didn't just tell them he was a cop as if Dante something wrong is troubling to say the least. 

I am glad that racist cop got what he deserved at Dante's hands. 

Edited by mommalib
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, I Want My MBTV said:

I 100% agree with this.  The other thing I don't understand (and by no means am I saying this as an excuse for those to POS officers) is why did dispatch even put out such a vague description? If I remember it correctly it was just "black man, SUV" that's basically an excuse to all the racist cops on duty to be like "well you fit the description of our suspect".   I just don't get how that description was at all useful without a partial plate or something more. 

When I lived in Chicago, there was an incident in my neighborhood where the newspaper report was that "two black youths [were wanted as suspects for the crime]". No photo, no other description. It was a majority Black neighborhood! But that's how they reported things. It was useless for actually identifying anyone, but was great for amping up the racism around town and giving cops and vigilantes an excuse to be more hostile to every random person they saw.

I thought it was completely believable that the show had the same kind of vague description of the person they were looking for. 

• Love 6
19 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

because just like Robyn stated,  "The more things change, the more they stay the same." 

Reminding the audience that there are things that McCall cannot equalize

• Love 6

Due to the reference to West Virginia above, I feel the need to explain rural America.  I live in a very blue state that contains very red rural counties.  I live in one of them.  When I moved here 16 years ago (husband transferred), I couldn't help trying to educate the racists.  I still do.  Recently, several Latin families have moved into the neighborhood.  Neighbors are not pleased.  I am.  I'm white.

Police do as they please here.  Whites rarely get arrested.  Minorities are hassled.  I'm working on a letter writing campaign to folks in the capitol about police issues.

Don't kid yourself.  Racists are everywhere.  You don't have to be southern to be racist. 

Edited by dshgr
  • Love 13
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I thought it was completely believable that the show had the same kind of vague description of the person they were looking for. 

And some places in America have almost no Black people living there, so that description might be very helpful in some instances.

• Love 2
On 3/21/2022 at 8:53 PM, I Want My MBTV said:

I 100% agree with this.  The other thing I don't understand (and by no means am I saying this as an excuse for those to POS officers) is why did dispatch even put out such a vague description?

There have been cases in the news where the suspects picked up were nothing like the description except for the colour of their skin. Racism is racism.

• Love 2

I wondered if they were going to go all the way and have Dante kill the dirty cop, and they did. And it was justified. He had already been tased AND shot by the cop and certainly had reason to "fear for his life.' (That's the excuse many cops use for shooting a suspect.)

"Why didn't s/he..." is essentially victim-blaming. "Why didn't he say he was a cop?" (So he could escape the cops' standard treatment for Driving While Black...acknowledges that Black people are treated differently by many police officers, and puts the onus on the victim to correct the offenders' behavior). It's right up there with "Why was she dressed like that?" and "Why didn't she call the police right away?" excuses with someone who is sexually assaulted.

And it was definitely a very traumatic experience for the kids.

As for Dante, I don't think he's going away. Maybe he will end up as an investigator attached to the DA's office (like Anthony on Blue Bloods.)

• Love 8

Tough episode, but a good one, I think. One of the few episodes without a Dee/Vi or even Harry/Mel sideplot.

I liked that they showed that it's the "good cops" that allow the bad ones to thrive.

I did appreciate getting a more backstory for Dante, and seeing his family. Also that Dante/Robyn dream scene -- I think that's the most overt they've been about their 'will-they-won't-they' since their Season 1 flirtations. I'm not expecting much more than that anytime soon, though. The show seems to be set with a slow burn for them.

The only thing I didn't like was Dante quitting NYPD. He should definitely take some time off, but who's going to be Robyn's "Commissioner Gordon"/police contact now? And I just don't see him joining Robyn's vigilante team; so where are they going with him?

On 3/21/2022 at 8:53 PM, I Want My MBTV said:

If you think it makes little sense on this fictional show, imagine how much less sense it makes with real lives involved.

On 3/22/2022 at 10:41 AM, dshgr said:

Don't kid yourself.  Racists are everywhere.  You don't have to be southern to be racist. 

Plenty of Confederate flags up here in 'Union' country.  😞

• Love 8

Have only seen the first fifteen mins of the ep, but while looking for a copy of it online (because the one on the CBS website simply will NOT load), I came across this:

Ok, can't post the link.  But google  

tvline the equalizer team explains its driving while black episode

8 hours ago, Trini said:

The only thing I didn't like was Dante quitting NYPD. He should definitely take some time off, but who's going to be Robyn's "Commissioner Gordon"/police contact now? And I just don't see him joining Robyn's vigilante team; so where are they going with him?

If this ever goes to trial, it might have been better if Dante was still NYPD, also if the other police station attempts some type of retaliation for Dante's actions.

I would have preferred that Dante hadn't killed the police officer and had been able to show some restraint, even under these extreme circumstances.

• Love 1
On 3/21/2022 at 1:16 PM, AnimeMania said:

They broke a lot of tropes, the wife being the workaholic, the wife thinking the kids are better off with the husband, them being good friends after the divorce, etc.

And a man being the damsel in distress who is saved by a woman.

When Robyn left the hospital, I thought of the old Lone Ranger series. "Who was that masked man?" "They call him the Lone Ranger." Does Dante even know Robyn's name?

This show was a disappointment for two reasons: 1) Dante's reflections while imprisoned made my eyes roll.  It was uninteresting and flashbacks are overdone. 2) Robyn didn't kick anyone's ass. 

• Love 1

This was a tough episode to watch.  I wanted more closure.  Did the cop played by Beecher from Oz die?  If so, it would be justifiable self-defense, but I wanted to know.  Also, what will happen to the younger cop?  I was waiting for the younger cop to be the one to shoot and kill the older cop.  Younger cop's name is Morales, so it seems he is Hispanic or part-Hispanic... shouldn't he have been more attuned to the dangers of racism?  Or does he pass enough for white that he doesn't face the discrimination of being a minority cop?

On 3/21/2022 at 5:13 PM, statsgirl said:

He didn't even create any situation.  He was just pumping gas.  I do think he could have led with the fact that he is a cop instead of challenging them.  But then there wouldn't have been this episode.

On 3/20/2022 at 11:24 PM, dwmarch said:

Why doesn't Robyn identify herself as a police consultant? That wouldn't even be a lie and it can mean whatever the person asking thinks it means.

I feel like the DA is much more involved in police minutiae here than any DA would be in real life. Natural consequence of this show's one-precinct NYPD I guess.

On 3/25/2022 at 3:25 PM, mojito said:

When Robyn left the hospital, I thought of the old Lone Ranger series. "Who was that masked man?" "They call him the Lone Ranger." Does Dante even know Robyn's name?

This show was a disappointment for two reasons: 1) Dante's reflections while imprisoned made my eyes roll.  It was uninteresting and flashbacks are overdone. 2) Robyn didn't kick anyone's ass. 

I do think it's weird that I don't think that Dante or the DA even know Robyn's name.  What do they even call her?  I'd love to know how she is listed in their cell phone contacts list.

Agreed that the flashbacks were overdone.  Too many of them and I didn't think they were interesting.

I also agree that I'm not sure why the DA would have gotten involved in this case... she's the DA, why would looking for a missing detective be in her purview apart from the fact that she is the only other person that has worked with Robyn?  I'm also trying to figure out how these redneck sheriff's deputies from Bumble County would know who she is on sight.  I guess the local elected attorney for Manhattan is a lot more famous than the local elected attorney in my neck of the woods.

On 3/29/2022 at 9:53 AM, blackwing said:

I'm also trying to figure out how these redneck sheriff's deputies from Bumble County would know who she is on sight. 

I can fanwank that this was a county in New York State, and they might know the name of the Manhattan DA. There are poor, rural counties outside the cities.

• Love 1
On 4/4/2022 at 4:31 PM, kwnyc said:

I can fanwank that this was a county in New York State, and they might know the name of the Manhattan DA.

They also resented everything Manhattan law enforcement and weren't going to help. At all.

On 3/29/2022 at 9:53 AM, blackwing said:

I also agree that I'm not sure why the DA would have gotten involved in this case... she's the DA, why would looking for a missing detective be in her purview apart from the fact that she is the only other person that has worked with Robyn? 

If I'm remembering correctly, the sheriff was refusing Robyn access to the files and the prisoner area+ to find out if they had any information on Dante so Robyn needed legal clout to get more information.

• Love 2
On 3/21/2022 at 4:59 PM, marceline said:

I gotta give Tergesen credit. He's one of my favorite actors because he just delivers in every role, no matter how well or poorly written. He always swings for the fences. He made me LOATHE his character.

I happened to watch this episode and a recent episode of New Amsterdam that he was also in back-to-back, and he sold me on both characters - he is good.

14 hours ago, LaylaGirl said:

I happened to watch this episode and a recent episode of New Amsterdam that he was also in back-to-back, and he sold me on both characters - he is good.

I remember Lee Tergesen from WAY back, well before Oz. In the early '90s, before USA was owned by NBC, it used to have its own programming. (Remember Silk Stalkings, La Femme Nikita, and Duckman?)

Well, Tergesen was in the TV adaption of Weird Science, playing douchey Chet, originally played by the late Bill Paxton in the movie!

Anyway, he also appeared - ironically enough - as a friend of Chris Noth's Mike Logan in an episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent, who went to him to report his own murder. (He was poisoned.)  So he has been everywhere, or so it seems!

• Love 1