Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Little White Lies

• Start Topic

When Cam and Maggie hit a rough patch, he looks to Gary for relationship advice. Ron and Regina embark on a new venture together, and Theo meets Greta in a chance encounter.

• Useful 1

When Cam and Maggie hit a rough patch, he looks to Gary for relationship advice. Ron and Regina embark on a new venture together, and Theo meets Greta in a chance encounter.

Rough patch? She said at the end of last episode she broke up with him because she realized she still loves Gary.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
On 3/15/2022 at 8:49 PM, KaveDweller said:

Rough patch? She said at the end of last episode she broke up with him because she realized she still loves Gary.

I was getting ready to say almost the exact same thing and then I scrolled down and saw your comment. 

On 3/15/2022 at 8:38 PM, Whimsy said:

When Cam and Maggie hit a rough patch, he looks to Gary for relationship advice. 

I speculated Cam was barging into Gary's place in the preview to get advice on getting her back. I guess this show is nothing if not predictable.

So Cam sees candy wrappers, figures it out...and sticks around until Maggie comes over?

So if Sophie's leaving on tour who's taking care of Delila's house?

Just saw this comment on the AMLT Facebook page: "I just realized that Eddie and Katherine named their son Theodore Seville. Like Theodore from Alvin and the Chipmunks." 🤣 

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

Oh Maggie…….she’s clueless.  She has no business giving advice to the public.  So, she can’t live without Gary?  I thought they broke up, because it was no longer working.  Idk, it’s been a while.  

I like Katherine’s new friend.  She’s too mature for this group though.  I can’t see it lasting.

It might be a good idea for Gina to get some professional advice on how to run her business.  She’s really struggled and seems to need more help than money.  

• Love 8

Welcome back, Danny. Nice to see you again. However, I know you're a teenager, but were you expecting your boyfriend to not get on with his life? You moved to France with your idiot, deadbeat mother. Case in point, she let her teenage son fly home without her because he wants his boyfriend back.

And while Eddie could have found other ways to talk to Sophie, he's not wrong. Going to school, studying music would help her gain connections and, yes, maybe get a career outside of playing gigs. Because, honestly, Sophie isn't that good. This band, from the little I've heard them, isn't that great, and will quickly get eaten up and forgotten about. This is a cut-throat business that she's wanting to get into, and if she can't handle a friend, who has her best interests at heart, what's she going to do when she gets worse from people who don't care about her?

Bye, Cam. Can we trade Gary for him? Maggie and Gary are "perfect" together. Other than the fact that they're perfect idiots, there is nothing perfect about the two of them being together.

Agree with the above who said that Gina needs more than money. Yeah. Running a business does take more than money. How about this for starters? If you're doing catering, don't burn meatballs or forget the tiramisu. But, starting your own business does take skills that she doesn't seem to have. And, yes, I agree that she needs professional advice how to get this business off the ground.

Edited by historylover820
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14
1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I like Katherine’s new friend.  She’s too mature for this group though.  I can’t see it lasting.

I rolled my eyes when she said Theo had good instincts (or he said she said that, I think?). His "instinct" was to shake her shoulder and say "I don't know what to do!" at an age well beyond when he should at least know what 911 is. Of course he figured out that they were a couple before Katherine even had to tell him, wise-beyond-his-years 6-year-old that he is. (I was really trying not to snark on him before but what the hell.)

1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It might be a good idea for Gina to get some professional advice on how to run her business.  She’s really struggled and seems to need more help than money.  

Is it even legal to run a catering business out of two home kitchens?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Just saw this comment on the AMLT Facebook page: "I just realized that Eddie and Katherine named their son Theodore Seville. Like Theodore from Alvin and the Chipmunks." 🤣 

Ha. Poor kid.

Good thing Danny came back just as Sophie left town, so someone can watch Delilah's house. But I want to know why that house hasn't sold. It is gorgeous and it is currently a buyer's market. Homes are going fast.

Sophie would have been smart to at least ask MMI to push her start date instead of just turning it down. I see going on tour getting old really fast. But I don't blame her for thinking all the adults around her do whatever they want and she should too. The people around her all kind of suck.

Who leaves on a road trip at night?

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Good thing Danny came back just as Sophie left town, so someone can watch Delilah's house. But I want to know why that house hasn't sold. It is gorgeous and it is currently a buyer's market. Homes are going fast.

So, teenage boy flies back alone and neither he nor his loving mother bothers to let the other adults in their little family (who clearly will have to be responsible for him, y'know, what with him being a minor and all) know that he's on his way? Google tells me Paris to Boston is approximately 8 hours, not counting getting through two major city airports. You'd think one of them would have had time to send a quick text.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 10
8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I rolled my eyes when she said Theo had good instincts (or he said she said that, I think?). His "instinct" was to shake her shoulder and say "I don't know what to do!" at an age well beyond when he should at least know what 911 is. Of course he figured out that they were a couple before Katherine even had to tell him, wise-beyond-his-years 6-year-old that he is. (I was really trying not to snark on him before but what the hell.)

Well, Theo sleeps with a nightlight on, has fun jungle themed bedsheets with coordinating mural on the wall and his mother still walks him to the bus stop to catch the bus to school; He might be wise beyond his years, but only if his 'years' are 6 or under.  I am old now, but I still remember being 12 and I would not have been caught dead with kiddie themed sheets and decor in my bedroom, sleeping with a nightlight or needing my mother to take me to the bus at that age.  Most 8 year olds would be embarrassed to admit any of that.

In most cities, it is not legal to run a catering business out of a residence unless the area is zoned for commercial use and the appropriate public health guidelines and inspections are observed.  Gina ran what was a successful restaurant before the pandemic; but now she has problems with preparing food properly?  I get maybe needing help with the business end of the catering, but she should be able to handle the food prep.

• Love 11
44 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

I am old now, but I still remember being 12 and I would not have been caught dead with kiddie themed sheets and decor in my bedroom, sleeping with a nightlight or needing my mother to take me to the bus at that age. 

When I was 12 my parents were getting ready to leave for work when I was waiting for the bus. When we were younger my mom just watched from the front door (our bus stop was the driveway of the house right across the street) until we got on.

At least he didn't ask for cuddles when he went to bed, even is she was practically laying down with him.

• Love 3

Welcome back Danny, it's now your turn to take care of the Dixon's house!

Hey Cam, you dodge the bullet, you should be thankful.

Theo is 12yo but his room looks like…

giphy-downsized-large.gif

😂😂😂

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1

The fact that the Dixon home hasn't sold yet is kind of ridiculous. It's been on the market for how long now? A few weeks? A few months? I get the show really wants to keep the set, but either sell the house or don't! 

So, Danny's back to....I guess beg for Milo to stop cheating on him or something. Boy, you live in France now. This long distance thing was never gonna work out, especially with teenagers like yourself. Even if you get Milo back, unless you move back, you're still gonna have issues. 

Now, I totally get why Cam was so confused by Maggie breaking up with him after showing ZERO signs of wanting to leave him before she did. I don't necessarily blame him for going to Gary to ask how he can get her back, especially if she was dodging his calls. I guess it's good that she was finally honest with him, because Cam deserves better.

Sophie...there's a reason why I'm fine with her leaving. Rebellious teenagers are way past my prime, and I'm in my late 20s. Her attitude toward Eddie was annoying. If anyone knows better about traveling bands, it's Eddie! And no, Sophie, you are NOT good enough to be traveling with a band. I was fully on Eddie's side here. That being said, Sophie has had shitty adults as her role models. Her dad was probably the best adult she's had as a role model and unfortunately, his suicide started the series in the first place. 

As frustrating as it is to see her still pissed at Gary (six months and counting, timeline wise), especially when she was only pissed at Eddie for the affair for a month or two, timeline wise, and she wasn't even pissed at Delilah for more than a day, I get it. In her eyes, Gary took away the control she had over her own sexual assault. Gary didn't think of the consequences to taking away Sophie's control and she has every right to be mad. But it's just frustrating BECAUSE of the inconsistencies.

I think this episode is one of the best Theo episodes. No, seriously, he acted like a legit twelve year old this time. I know he'll go back to bouncing between a twelve year old and a six year old later, but this episode, his responses...actually made sense. And he was fairly mature about his mom and Greta. If this was Theo all the time, I don't think I would hate it.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Remind me, please. Eddie found a wheelchair-accessible house. He’s still Gary’s roommate? 

He let the woman who hit him have it because she had an abusive husband to escape.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I live in KC, and while I don't get it (I don't have kids of my own), I know a lot of parents who still walk their kids to be picked up by the school bus or drive them or take them to school when it may be only three blocks from their house. Because of the crime here.

And I would imagine it's worse in Boston.

So, while I don't get it--I'm a farm girl and got on and off the bus all by myself as early as 7 years old and was able to have access to everything in my hometown (not KC) by the time I was 8 years old--I know parents who do this.

I had just thought "Wait, did this show just get rid of Jon's whole family?" only to have Danny return.

Cam to Gary: "I need you to help me get Maggie back."
Danny: "I'm here to get Milo back."

Please show, PLEASE stop this framing. It's not romantic. It's dangerous. People have agency. If they don't want to be in a relationship with you, your job isn't to get them back. Your job is to accept it, learn from it and move on. These people are truly toxic and I really hate the idea of Danny being so young and exhibiting this mindset.

Bye Sophie. You're probably better off.

Theo's conversation with Katherine was good. He actually seemed age appropriate and I'll never stop being amazed at how young people just don't have the issues with LGBT topics that my generation grew up with. Things have just changed so much in my lifetime and it's wonderful.

Gary chowing down on the chocolates Cam sent Maggie was just a perfect example of what I can't stand about him. Maggie and Gary had no problem lying to Cam then joking about eating the food he sent. Maggie and Gary are assholes.

11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

They could blame it on her TBI but that story just went away.

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, marceline said:

Gary chowing down on the chocolates Cam sent Maggie was just a perfect example of what I can't stand about him. Maggie and Gary had no problem lying to Cam then joking about eating the food he sent. Maggie and Gary are assholes

I really, really hated that they had Cam go to Gary to find out how to win Maggie back.  Why couldn't Cam just say, yeah, ok, buh-bye, I don't need dysfunctional people in my life?  But no.  They had to humiliate him, too.

• Love 14
26 minutes ago, marceline said:

Gary chowing down on the chocolates Cam sent Maggie was just a perfect example of what I can't stand about him. Maggie and Gary had no problem lying to Cam then joking about eating the food he sent. Maggie and Gary are assholes.

They really do suck, don't they? And this isn't even the first time. I will never forget Maggie stealing an elderly woman's dog and tricking her with another one, and Gary going along with it, as if Gary's more entitled to Colin because of his age, or something.

• Love 11
53 minutes ago, historylover820 said:

I live in KC, and while I don't get it (I don't have kids of my own), I know a lot of parents who still walk their kids to be picked up by the school bus or drive them or take them to school when it may be only three blocks from their house. Because of the crime here.

When we were in high school my parents drove us in the morning just because we all left at the same time (they worked in the same building so usually drove to work together) and our high school was less than half a mile from our house. I usually walked home and my brother took the bus in the afternoon (which we only got because we lived just outside the Borough line, and the bus rule was if you lived more than 2 miles from the school or outside the Borough). But I live in the suburbs. 

35 minutes ago, marceline said:

Cam to Gary: "I need you to help me get Maggie back."
Danny: "I'm here to get Milo back."

Please show, PLEASE stop this framing. It's not romantic. It's dangerous. People have agency. If they don't want to be in a relationship with you, your job isn't to get them back. Your job is to accept it, learn from it and move on. These people are truly toxic and I really hate the idea of Danny being so young and exhibiting this mindset.

I saw a comment elsewhere basically saying that a real hockey player would have kicked Gary's ass for "stealing" his woman. As if Maggie has no agency and is simply owned by whatever man she's dating. What century are we in again? (Throw in a little "guy who plays sport known for violence is justified in beating other men up because his girlfriend dumped him" because that's a great way to be.)

I'd be fine with Danny confronting Milo for lying to him, but "I want him back even though I should be old enough to realize a long-distance relationship at 15 wasn't going to work out, especially when we're in two different countries...and he lied to me"...please no. 

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I saw a comment elsewhere basically saying that a real hockey player would have kicked Gary's ass for "stealing" his woman. As if Maggie has no agency and is simply owned by whatever man she's dating. What century are we in again? (Throw in a little "guy who plays sport known for violence is justified in beating other men up because his girlfriend dumped him" because that's a great way to be.)

If anything, Cam should be worried about Gary, a man we know has helped beat a man into a coma. The guy really is a saint, watching him ask Gary for his help getting Maggie back right after Gary was busy snacking on the chocolates Cam got for Maggie was so rough. Really though, Cam dodged a bullet being away from Maggie and this merry band of weirdos, the most I have ever agreed with Maggie and Gary was when they said they deserve each other, that's extremely true. Those two selfish assholes truly are a perfect match.

Eddie might have been harsh, but he really wasn't wrong. Sophie is a good singer but she isn't amazing, and from what we have heard neither is her band. Eddie knows how hard it is to make it big, he's right to tell her that getting a degree first is a good idea. The music industry is really rough, she needs to be ready for the possibility that she wont make it and that she might not be ready for a grueling small time tour, its at least something to consider before leaving. But on this show anyone trying to engage in real talk is immediately wrong and needs to apologize, so of course she is totally right and Eddie is totally wrong to put his own stuff on her. I did like when Sophie gave him his guitar back, and she isn't at all wrong that she has terrible adult role models. The most responsible adult in her life killed himself in the shows first episode. 

Speaking of Sophie's useless flake of a mom, I am not surprised that Delilah either didn't notice that her teenage son crossed the ocean to chase after his boyfriend, or did and just didn't bother to tell any of the adults who would need to look after him, being as he's a minor. Great job as always on the parenting.

Of course Tyrel is applying to Yale, this is television and everyone goes to a famous ivy League where its super easy to get in, despite them being extremely selective in the real world. Does Tyrel even get good grades? He seems to spend most of his time running schemes (or he did) and making movies with Rome, he does school work sometimes but is it enough to get into Yale? Can just one letter about how awesome Rome is do that?

• Love 11
4 hours ago, historylover820 said:

And I would imagine it's worse in Boston.

So, while I don't get it--I'm a farm girl and got on and off the bus all by myself as early as 7 years old and was able to have access to everything in my hometown (not KC) by the time I was 8 years old--I know parents who do this.

I don't know how old you are,  but I think it's more that times have changed.  I live in an extremely safe suburb,  yet all the moms are with their kids at the bus stop which is usually no more than 2 or 3 houses away.  In the winter they're all in their cars with the kids until the bus gets there.  At that point I'm not sure why they don't just drive them to school,  but whatever makes them feel safe I guess

29 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Of course Tyrel is applying to Yale, this is television and everyone goes to a famous ivy League where its super easy to get in, despite them being extremely selective in the real world. Does Tyrel even get good grades? He seems to spend most of his time running schemes (or he did) and making movies with Rome, he does school work sometimes but is it enough to get into Yale? Can just one letter about how awesome Rome is do that?

I don't know if he gets good grades or not,  but my understanding is the admissions process has really changed in recent years with much less focus on standardized testing and GPA and more on written essays and diversity, especially in the Ivy League schools. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Speaking of Sophie's useless flake of a mom, I am not surprised that Delilah either didn't notice that her teenage son crossed the ocean to chase after his boyfriend, or did and just didn't bother to tell any of the adults who would need to look after him, being as he's a minor. Great job as always on the parenting.

It’s so weird that Delilah’s presence in these people’s lives hasn’t been talked about. Maybe the actress hesitates to return even for FaceTime scenes. Just throw in some lines from time to time to make the living situation believable.

Why can’t Danny bring Charlie back to Boston too, to visit her daddy? Is Danny back for good? 🤔

On top of depression, is Rome bipolar too?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Considering he hasn't even been in school since he was with his mom for months, I question how he even has enough of a school record for anyone to be interested in him.

Speaking of which, Danny isn't in school?  He can just fly across the ocean on a whim? 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

yet all the moms are with their kids at the bus stop which is usually no more than 2 or 3 houses away.

If I leave for work at the wrong time I get stuck behind a bus that stops four times within maybe six or seven houses (luckily it turns off the road shortly after that). Every kid gets picked up at their own driveway. Probably because there's no sidewalk and this particular road is pretty busy, but I've seen similar on side streets that are pretty quiet (I once saw a kid get out of the car to get on the bus, then dad backed the car up to the top of the driveway; it wasn't even raining or cold. Then the bus stopped two houses later to pick up another kid. There is very little traffic on this road and the kids were certainly old enough to walk two houses down). Most of the parents seem to watch from the front door, except one mom who comes out with the little sister to wait in the driveway (but that kid looks like she's only 5 or 6). 

16 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

On top of depression, is Rome bipolar too?

I don't know, but anger/short temper can be a symptom of depression, so him snapping at everyone is realistic...as a viewer it gets old, though.

11 minutes ago, izabella said:

Speaking of which, Danny isn't in school?  He can just fly across the ocean on a whim? 

Hey, if the adults can bail on whatever work they do to do whatever at any time of day or night and still afford their nice places to live, the kids don't need to go to school to get into Yale.

• Love 4

Are Rome and Regina paying for Tyrell's college?  If not, then Rome can take several seats.  I mean, good on him for helping the young man prepare for his interview, but much like a wedding:  No Pay, No Say.

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, Danny's back to....I guess beg for Milo to stop cheating on him or something. Boy, you live in France now. This long distance thing was never gonna work out, especially with teenagers like yourself. Even if you get Milo back, unless you move back, you're still gonna have issues. 

Yeah, long distance was never going to work and it was pretty ridiculous that Danny expected it to. But Milo is pretty crappy for not breaking up with Danny and letting him meet a cute French boy. 

I'm not sure why Danny is back, unless he is planning to move back. And I'm not sure how he thinks that will work with his mom still in Paris.

42 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

Are Rome and Regina paying for Tyrell's college?  If not, then Rome can take several seats.  I mean, good on him for helping the young man prepare for his interview, but much like a wedding:  No Pay, No Say.

Very good point.

Also, I understand Rome's concern, but if he is upset that Yale doesn't have great diversity, wouldn't the solution be to encourage more black students to attend? Not discourage them?

• Love 8
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I don't know, but anger/short temper can be a symptom of depression, so him snapping at everyone is realistic...as a viewer it gets old, though.

This. I understand it because I lived it but watching it sucks.

• Love 1

I wonder how long Milo and his BF have been seeing each other. Their kiss good bye looked really awkward. 

I completely forgot that Danny had a BF. Holding together a long distance relationship at 15 years old, when one of you is an ocean away, really? I mean, I know teens don't think clearly but come on. 

• Love 2

I enjoy Cameron Esposito's comedy, but I never expected her to be this good of an actor. It is hilarious whenever a competent person enters the group and they stand out SO MUCH. Katherine herself used to be like that. It would be this whole group of useless people and then super-competent Katherine would walk in and kill it and now she has a competent girlfriend, as well! It's quite the sight.

• Love 1

By the way, I was just thinking, Katherine was obviously this hugely important figure in Greta's life that she thought she lost. So to reunite with her and then date her and have sex with her? Talk about a freakishly great dream come true! This is letter to Penthouse type stuff right here!

• LOL 1

I live in a safe well lit neighborhood and nobody walks more than a block to their stop and loads of parents drive the kid.  I actually saw a woman have to leave her house and drive around the block to get in line for the stop and her position in line was farther from the pick up point than her house was and the kid had to have been in double digits.  The whole thing is bizarre and I don't get it but I totally believe that is the parent that Katherine is.  

No hate on Theo for that nor for his kiddie sheets/room.  I mean I would absolutely hate it if it is something he asked for this week but I'm just assuming this is his childhood bedroom and he hasn't updated it yet which is a different thing.  I want to say I was 12 or 13 when we got around to sprucing up my room.  Of the family priorities that was a low one Theo's family has had some stuff going down.  I will say I would have gotten rid of the nightlight and the bedding by now, though.  Probably... but I never had a night light or my little pony bedding so...  I know my nephew was 14 when his was done and the new room was so cool but he also had framed one of his old blues clues things and hung it on the wall with his much more mature look.  It always made me laugh when I was at his house.  

But it is absolutely time for Theodore Seville to get an upgrade to his digs.   Because yeah...  

I argued a few weeks ago that I thought it would be out of character for Theo to be wigged about it being a woman that his mom was with and I am glad that I was correct there.

Is Sophie making the best choice?  Probably not.  But if you are going to make really bad life choices 19 is a pretty good time to do them.  She's got a wealthy family she can go to college when this doesn't pan out.  

20 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It’ll be interesting to see how they portray Gina’s catering business.  A skeleton staff, long hours which you work primarily weekends, nights and holidays…..sounds awesome.  

I mean, yeah, but she was a chef so it isn't like she's ever kept bankers hours.  Restaurant work is also weekends/nights holidays.  And since Rome is a director and doesn't work in an office that isn't really any skin off his nose.  My friend works for a catering company part time and she loves it because it never interferes with her home based daycare or her son's afterschool activities.  DIfferent schedules work for different people.  

Is Danny back for good?  Is he going to live at his house all alone?  HE feels young for that to me.  Are Gary and Maggie moving back in?  Maybe this is just a way for Danny to get a better send off and he'll go back to Paris in the end but if that is the case it is weird he didn't cross paths with his sister.   

I like Danny, though, so I don't mind him being back.  He's my favorite of the under 21 set.  

I don't mind Sophie still being angry with Gary.  Somebody should be.  But the fact that her anger hasn't evolved at all over the time seems a bit odd.  I don't need her to let Gary back into her life (although, I bet that does happen) but I'd like for her to be able t let go of some of that anger for her own sake.  

• Love 2

Why am I still watching this show? I don’t like any of the characters. Except Greta. I like her which means she won’t be around much longer, like Cam.

Speaking of Cam. WTF is Maggie doing? She dumps Cam for Gary? I used to like Gary until they ruined him with the Peter debacle.

Isn’t Theo supposed to be 12? Why is his mother still tucking him in at night? The writers treat him like he is 7.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

don't know if he gets good grades or not,  but my understanding is the admissions process has really changed in recent years with much less focus on standardized testing and GPA and more on written essays and diversity, especially in the Ivy League schools

As the mom of a current college freshman with another applying to school this coming year, elite schools are a crap shoot. There are thousands of valedictorians with 4.0-plus GPAs and perfect SATS and thousands of volunteer hours applying to all the same schools. There are tons of exceptional kids out there. Of course, never as exceptional as the characters on tv shows who somehow are so special for reasons we are never told, of course they get accepted!

• Love 4
On 3/16/2022 at 11:10 PM, historylover820 said:

Case in point, she let her teenage son fly home without her because he wants his boyfriend back.

I know teenagers are all independent and self-sufficient in most shows - Sophie is running a huge house that doesn't need cleaning or maintenance, while selling the house and not working or going to school, and with no money - but wouldn't a minor, as independent as they might be, still need an adult to pick him up from the handlers at the airline? Danny is still a child, legally.

On 3/16/2022 at 11:28 PM, Rootbeer said:

sleeping with a nightlight

I am going on Theo's defense here because I know adults who sleep with the lights on. And I do have a nightlight in the bathroom. Theo is "complicated" and they write him too young but nightlights are also a matter of family culture. It is just there.

20 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Of course Tyrel is applying to Yale, this is television and everyone goes to a famous ivy League where its super easy to get in, despite them being extremely selective in the real world

Plus, those schools are ripe with scandals, bad outcomes, and are only famous because they are famous. If I had a child I would discourage them to go to an Ivy League because it is a breeding place for many in the useless bourgeoisie. They don't get an education. They learn how to exploit the system that already privileges them.

Eddie is becoming Sophie's father now, but not doing a great job at it. she is too indulged. She lives as if they have all the money to be wasted, does whatever she wants without any signs of growth - unless the writers need her to be all mature and amazing when facing trauma. Then she is a grown up. 

Still bugs me how Eddie can make a living as a not-Uber not-Lift driver if he is never really working. So far away from reality, they should just say that this is a alternate universe.

• Love 1

Just some more thoughts. I'm so sorry about the length! I'm off work today and the weather is bad and I just may have too much time on my hands right now!

Thought #1

Circumvent, this absolutely is an alternate universe where time has no meaning. Because Gary woke up Danny in Paris, so it was night in both Paris and in Boston, and then Danny flew back to Boston in the same night. When Maggie was in England, the time zones were the same. This show can't decide if two years has past since John's suicide or if it's been four years. Charlie is forever a baby.

Thought #2

Does the Dixons have family money? I mean, Delilah was able to move to Paris with no job or anything, but I remember in season 1 where they almost lost the house because they couldn't afford it and it took Katherine working some legal magic to get that straightened out. I also think John arranged for the mortgage to be paid, but it's been four years since I've seen season one, so I don't remember too clearly. For the majority of the real world, the Dixons are extremely well off, but I think in this universe, the Dixons really aren't. 

Of course, none of these characters are hurting financially. I mean, there was that drama of almost losing the house in season one, and Gina losing the restaurant--she was worried about finances for about 5 minutes and had to work at the restaurant whose name I can't remember. But no one has to worry about money or jobs. Of the main core, only Katherine has a job that can conceivably be allowing her to live the lifestyle depicted. 

Eddie is employed, and I'm not going to knock what he does for a living, but, yeah, he shouldn't have money to just pre-pay for a 6 month lease at a fabulous apartment and then let someone else live there. I'm going to argue in my head that it's been 6 months now, and the woman who hit him has now either taken over the lease or has had to move out. But, at least Eddie is roommates with Gary, so they can split the rent. I think this is doable. He may be getting something from royalties from writing that minor hit song in season one, and maybe getting a little bit of money from being a mentor to what's-her-name, but nothing to live on. But at least I can argue that he is able to split rent and bills with Gary on what he makes as a Uber driver.

Maggie is employed and is probably making some decent money. (By the way, the spoiler with Maggie having to face some consequences for something she said over the air? Don't make me laugh, show. Since when has Maggie had to face any consequences about anything she's said or done?)

What the heck does Gary do for a living? He's said that he was an actuary, which makes some good money. But, we don't ever see him at work. All we have is some throwaway lines.

Gina keeps bouncing in and out of the restaurant/catering business and is trying to start a new business which takes a lot of money. She's not going to be making any sort of profit for a while.

Rome is a director, but we haven't seen him direct anything since the documentary. His movie got canceled due to Covid. With the whole drama of the documentary, I don't see that people will be all that willing to work with him. But, unless you're Steven Spielberg or Michael Bay, Rome can't make a steady living as a director. When he was a commercial director, sure. But he's not making a steady living at it now.

Thought #3:

If Sophie were really smart (and I know--19 year old girl. When I was 19, I was going to be an actress and had I got the chance to act in a movie or show when I was 19, I would have packed up my pickup and hightailed to to the set with no questions asked or no thoughts about it), she would get Eddie's advice about touring, about the music industry, about both horror stories and absolutely amazing times on the road. I'm sure he would be happy to give her advice. Now, he did not approach it very well, but as I said in my initial post, he wasn't wrong in what he said. She's good, but she's not that good. With education, she could be better--a better singer, a better guitarist, a better songwriter. 

But he also knows the real downside of this--his alcoholism probably started when he was constantly on tour. Yeah, we have proof that he drank in high school, but a lot of teenagers do that. But, on tour, the booze and the drugs were probably very cheap and very easy to access.  Heck, we have enough music biopics to see that aspect! So, he could probably tell Sophie what to steer clear from on tour, how to handle herself.

But, Sophie also barely knows her band mates. Eddie was right--this is a band she has joined 5 minutes ago. Who knows if they will have her back when times get tough on this tour.

(But, yes, she is correct--none of the adults that she has in her life are actually role models)

Thought #4:

Thinking of Sophie, I absolutely agree with someone above who has said that it would be nice to see her getting over her anger towards Gary. No, she shouldn't let him back into her life. But that anger towards Gary is controlling her, and I wonder if this is one of the factors for this kind of impulsive "I'm going out on tour with a band I've been with for like two months! And I'm not going to school!" Sophie should keep Gary at an arm's distance, but to be so angry at Maggie because she's with Gary is ridiculous. Let the audience be angry at Maggie for being with Gary, Sophie! We know the details of them being together, like them stealing Colin from an old lady! But, Maggie has been a good friend to Sophie and I will give her credit for that. But to continue being so angry at Gary that Sophie is angry at Maggie for being with him actually puts Gary in control of Sophie. He's living rent-free in Sophie's head, and he's not even aware of it. So it would be nice to see Sophie to get over her anger towards Gary and to move on with her life, keeping him at an arm's length, not being friends with him again but maybe being civil to him. 

Finally, to wrap up my novel here:

I'm not a fan of Theo at all, but in his defense for his childhood room:

When I was 12 years old, my childhood room still had stuffed animals scattered around. Heck, my bedroom now still has a few of my most beloved stuffed animals from my childhood. They had to rearrange the house after Eddie's accident, but I think Theo's bedroom was a low priority. Within the past couple years, Theo's dad was paralyzed and then had to go to rehab for drug addiction, his parents go divorced. I will give his childhood bedroom a pass.

As far as a nightlight goes, I really never had one except when I was really young. But I had friends who had nightlights until their teenage years. I know adults who still have some sort of light on at night. And sometimes I think I should have a nightlight on with all the times I've gotten up at night and then about broke my toe or banged my shin on my bed frame!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
56 minutes ago, historylover820 said:

But at least I can argue that he is able to split rent and bills with Gary on what he makes as a Uber driver

Not possible in the Boston area, with prices of rent and the amount of hours he is just visiting girlfriend and coaching Sophie. Not to mention that gas prices can change at any time, as we very well know.

Eddie has to pay for everything car related, and this varies, plus he has to rely on tips and reviews. If he is not driving all that much, he is losing money and opportunity to make more money.

But logic does not apply, so let's assume rent is controlled, he does't eat much, his car is maintained by some charitable organization that helps disabled people, and that Gary volunteered to pay for all utility expenses because his mystery job pays that well. Or maybe they are accepting monopoly money in Bostonland now.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 3/16/2022 at 11:12 PM, ams1001 said:

On 3/16/2022 at 11:28 PM, Rootbeer said:

In most cities, it is not legal to run a catering business out of a residence unless the area is zoned for commercial use and the appropriate public health guidelines and inspections are observed.  Gina ran what was a successful restaurant before the pandemic; but now she has problems with preparing food properly?  I get maybe needing help with the business end of the catering, but she should be able to handle the food prep.

Legitimate question, not snark- do Regina and Rome actually live IN Boston? Or just outside? The reason I ask is I don't know if there is a different law for Boston itself- but I live outside Boston and you most certainly can use your own kitchen for catering. Each town has their own health department and rules may vary but it is 100% possible. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

He did that hacky BLM-inspired commercial recently that got them a lot of money. 

Yeah, but Regina needs a loan from her daddy, so where did that money go?  Raising Tyrell before he flew the coop and came back to apply to Yale?  So many plot holes and minutiae discrepancies in TIULand!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, CrystalBlue said:

Yeah, but Regina needs a loan from her daddy, so where did that money go?  Raising Tyrell before he flew the coop and came back to apply to Yale?  So many plot holes and minutiae discrepancies in TIULand!

Oh, totally, the show doesn't make any sense, just noting that Rome at least DID make some money recently. :)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Oh, totally, the show doesn't make any sense, just noting that Rome at least DID make some money recently. :)

And I meant AMLTLand.  TIU (This Is Us) is another reality-based drama that takes place in an alternate universe sometimes!  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, circumvent said:

Still bugs me how Eddie can make a living as a not-Uber not-Lift driver if he is never really working. So far away from reality, they should just say that this is a alternate universe.

Eddie is living with Gary, who may not even be charging him rent. So I don't have an issue with him being a part time not-Uber driver. He will have very few expenses. And if he and Katherine both owned their house, maybe she bought him out or something. 

Katherine's salary now that she has her own firm and rarely seems to work is another story.

8 hours ago, historylover820 said:

Eddie is employed, and I'm not going to knock what he does for a living, but, yeah, he shouldn't have money to just pre-pay for a 6 month lease at a fabulous apartment and then let someone else live there. I'm going to argue in my head that it's been 6 months now, and the woman who hit him has now either taken over the lease or has had to move out. But, at least Eddie is roommates with Gary, so they can split the rent. I think this is doable. He may be getting something from royalties from writing that minor hit song in season one, and maybe getting a little bit of money from being a mentor to what's-her-name, but nothing to live on. But at least I can argue that he is able to split rent and bills with Gary on what he makes as a Uber driver.

Didn't the money Eddie used to pay for the apartment actually come from the woman who hit him? She told him how guilty she felt and threw a bag of money at him. He didn't want to take it, so he used it to rent the apartment.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, circumvent said:

but wouldn't a minor, as independent as they might be, still need an adult to pick him up from the handlers at the airline? Danny is still a child, legally.

The rules on this have changed a huge amount since I was a kid when I flew all over the place and only once did anybody care enough to escort me to a gate but assuming Danny has turned 15 rather than being 14 he can travel if he has ID and he has a passport so it wouldn't be a problem.  If he is 14 it is a problem.   But I'll just assume he's 15 now.   IF he is 15 with his own passport he can travel just like anybody else.  He can get on the plane, get off the plane, go thrugh customs, walk out of the airport and call an uber to get to Gary's place. 

For those of you who fear poor Theo will die at 15 flying without an escort and without being picked up by a responsible adult, have no fear.   You can opt to pay an additional 150 dollars each way for your 15 year old to be escorted from gate to gate and to only be released to a prearanged responsible adult.   Katherine is totally going to pay that charge, but Delilah not so much.  

Edited by bybrandy
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Didn't the money Eddie used to pay for the apartment actually come from the woman who hit him? She told him how guilty she felt and threw a bag of money at him. He didn't want to take it, so he used it to rent the apartment.

Yes, Eddie was going to rent the appartment and get a better job or rent the apartment and drive all hours for Uber to make his rent but then that woman gave him all her money.  So he used that money to prepay for 6 months at that apartment so she could escape there.  He didn't end up paying any of his own money.

And we mostly see Eddie out and about during the day which aren't the best uber fare times.  There is a chance he's driving at night/early morning hours to get the shift change/post bar surges.  We've seen him out at night some but mostly we see him out and about during daylight hours which wouldn't be his biggest fare times.   If he goes to bed at 9 he can sleep until 1:30 am and hit the bar close time, stick around until morning shift is done then go home and nap/hang out at record stores/see theo until after work commute/restaurant/bar time.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

The rules on this have changed a huge amount since I was a kid when I flew all over the place and only once did anybody care enough to escort me to a gate but assuming Danny has turned 15 rather than being 14 he can travel if he has ID and he has a passport so it wouldn't be a problem.  If he is 14 it is a problem.   But I'll just assume he's 15 now.   IF he is 15 with his own passport he can travel just like anybody else.  He can get on the plane, get off the plane, go thrugh customs, walk out of the airport and call an uber to get to Gary's place. 

For those of you who fear poor Theo will die at 15 flying without an escort and without being picked up by a responsible adult, have no fear.   You can opt to pay an additional 150 dollars each way for your 15 year old to be escorted from gate to gate and to only be released to a prearanged responsible adult.   Katherine is totally going to pay that charge, but Delilah not so much.  

We don't even know if Delilah knows Danny is gone!  Maybe it will come out that he "ran away from home."  So did Milo fake the pulled widsom teeth story to account for why he wasn't available to video chat with Danny because he has another boyfriend now?