Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Rosetta

• Start Topic

While Captain Burnham leads an away mission to a planet that was once home to the aliens responsible for the DMA, Book and Tarka secretly infiltrate the U.S.S. Discovery.

Premiere date: March 3, 2022

16 hours ago, paigow said:

When is the Pike show coming? This series is dead...

No kidding. BTW, good to see your avatar on Star Trek: Picard. That was a far better use of my time. 

Why do I have a feeling that they are going to try to communicate with the DMA by projecting some of those happiness compounds into some form of beam? A lot of children of the 80s would recognize that as the Care Bear Stare. 

• LOL 5

I know what the DMA is vacuuming up! It's my enjoyment of this show! Fortunately Picard seems to be off to a better start.

This is by no means a complaint but I noticed an excessive number of shots of Detmer's shiny butt when they were getting ready to go on the mission. They've put her in leathery pants before but this was like a Gap commercial.

Speaking of Detmer, I called her need for space cheeba a long time ago and she hit it the first chance she got. She cried!

274726045_10159715168527118_1256910200278851078_n.thumb.jpg.a818b170f7688e464322fc2cd011da68.jpg

Weird that even after all the upgrades Discovery still doesn't have a reliable intruder alert system. The ship is sentient and still can't account for two dudes just walking down the halls as they please.

The General from Earth should know better than to trust Book when he promises something. "Oh yeah, I promise because I've got integrity all day long. And as you're admiring my strength of character, Tarka is totally going to stab you in the back because that's kinda his specialty" and for Christ's sake everyone knows that! Most Trek crews stumble into bad situations and have to figure out a solution. Not Disco! They make their own misfortune!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

“This special PSA ,is brought to you by CannibisLSD, You can find us across the Universe!”

I think anyone can predict how 5his is going. Tarka and Book will barge in to the Hyperspace only to cause more trouble. Noble Burnham will have all the answers and negotiate a peace.  It will go to her head, but the producers will cover it up.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'm assuming Tarka brought a phaser with him or something, because I can't figure out how he apparently was able to get the drop on Reno (welcome back!) and took her as a hostage.  Did she not recognize him?  I would have thought she would just call security or something.  Oh, well.  At least we will hopefully get a lot of her snarking on Booker and Tarka going forward, once their plan ends up blowing up in their faces and puts all of the worlds in danger (obviously, they won't actually get destroyed.  I think.)

Michael, Saru, Culber, and Detmer go on an away mission to the mysterious species' planet, inhale some kind of magical ash, and... become really in touch with their emotions?  And they believe this will help them communicate with the aliens?  The whole thing kind of confused me.  At least this one let Detmer gets some development time this go around.  I wonder which of the bridge crew will be next?!

Maybe spending so much time with Stamets, Reno, and others have warped (heh, sorry) my view on professionalism, but I really didn't see what that logistics guy said that warranted President Laira to get that upset with him.  She acted like he was dropping F-bombs or making dead baby jokes or something.

I guess they were going for some kind "looking up to her as a big sister" vibe with Adira and Detmer, but it really did some off almost like Adira was crushing on Detmer instead.

At least we know Grudge is still around! 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Michael, Saru, Culber, and Detmer go on an away mission to the mysterious species' planet

Hey Discovery! Michael Bay and Bruce Willis want their Armageddon Slow Motion Walking back...

• LOL 2
6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Michael, Saru, Culber, and Detmer go on an away mission to the mysterious species' planet, inhale some kind of magical ash, and... become really in touch with their emotions?

The crew didn't get in touch with their own emotions.  They got in touch with the 10C's emotions.  Saru and Culber at first were getting images and feelings when the 10C's planet was breaking down.  Later everyone was feeling the 10C infant's emotions in the nursery.

It's hysterical that the fate of 2 worlds is in danger, and yet the crew can't help but comment on and advise on romantic relationships.  Book gazing wisfully through a bulkhead at a pensive Burnham.  Culber and Burnham gleefully speculating about Saru and the president of Navar.  Jet giving advice to an obviously crushing Adira on Detmer.  I would've been a little more honest with Adira.  Detmer is a stone cold 32nd century fox, she's a kickass pilot, and an amazing woman.  Sorry Adira, Detmer's way out of your league!  This is really Grey's Anatomy in space.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

At least this one let Detmer gets some development time this go around.  I wonder which of the bridge crew will be next?!

Well, we got some development from Joann Owo as a fighter and we know that Gen Rhys led the evacuation effort on that Emerald Chain colony because he was rescued by StarFleet as a child. Do we know anything about Nilsson like her first name? She's next in the command line after Saru and does some sort of spore drive monitoring from the bridge. 

4 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Jet giving advice to an obviously crushing Adira on Detmer.  I would've been a little more honest with Adira.  Detmer is a stone cold 32nd century fox, she's a kickass pilot, and an amazing woman.  Sorry Adira, Detmer's way out of your league!  This is really Grey's Anatomy in space.

Besides, I think Owo and Detmer are a couple or they should be if they aren't. I think that hug they shared after Owo saved the bridge crew seemed much more than a typical embrace.  

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, DrScottie said:

Besides, I think Owo and Detmer are a couple or they should be if they aren't. I think that hug they shared after Owo saved the bridge crew seemed much more than a typical embrace.  

I remember the first time Book showed up on the bridge, Owo and Detmer looked ready to have his babies...  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Well, we got some development from Joann Owo as a fighter and we know that Gen Rhys led the evacuation effort on that Emerald Chain colony because he was rescued by StarFleet as a child. Do we know anything about Nilsson like her first name? She's next in the command line after Saru and does some sort of spore drive monitoring from the bridge. 

59 minutes ago, paigow said:

I remember the first time Book showed up on the bridge, Owo and Detmer looked ready to have his babies...  

These two excellent premises are not mutually exclusive!

• Love 2

Looks like Book might finally be having a "...are we the baddies?" moment. Did Tarka bring a phaser? Because when Reno is hardly a professional kickboxer or anything, he isn't exactly a fighter, how did he drag her back all the way back to her ship? Knock her out?

Oh Madam president, don't you know that sending the ships captain and half the high ranking officers out on important away missions is a time honored Starfleet tradition? Nice that Detmer got some time to shine and that she made it back in one piece! 

I am still not sure if the mysterious species will turn out to be evil or just mysterious. Knowing that they care about each other and their kids do prove that they have a concept of empathy, but that's for their own species, we have no idea if they would care about hurting other lifeforms. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

These two excellent premises are not mutually exclusive!

Maybe Book was able to binge watch Big Love with Cronenberg...  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, marinw said:

On this Very Special Epiosde we learn the importance of feeling our feelings.

Exactly!  This is what I've been bitching about most of the season.  This is the song that comes to mind with this show: Feelings

On 3/3/2022 at 2:13 AM, Lady Jane said:

WHAT. THE. FUCK. 

Yes, yes, and yes!  I feel like I'm watching a group counseling session.  Argh!

• Love 3

This show needs a couple of Romulans who don't care about flipping emotions to get shit done! Or Borg - I'm not picky at this point.

The best thing was the President giving Doctor what's-his-face a lesson in team spirit. Oh and we got some good scenes with Detmer. I do have to admire the actors who managed to keep a straight face delivering all those sappy lines and gobbledygook during that horrible nursery scene.  A species protecting its offspring is hardly the big breakthrough - or providing cultural context (someone in the writing room clearly loved that term). Yeah, they like their kids - doesn't mean they can't be arseholes to other species. But I'm sure the space pheromones will sort that all out last minute.

Someone should write Grudge's log in the style of that Dog vs Cat diary that was around a couple of years ago: 'Day #456 underlings still most incompetent in face of galactic threat, obsessed with what they refer to as emotional turmoil. Best make plan for feline mutiny. Step 1: trim fuzzy paws to get better handle on control panels.'

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I don't believe for one second Tarka could take Reno...  she would mop the floor with him. That said, I think that Reno is just savvy enough to have let Tarka take her prisoner with the thought that she could sabatoge him and Book later. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

We keep getting told of the urgency of the situation (29 hours and counting down) because Earth and Navar are in the path of destruction caused by the movement of the DMA, but how come no one on Discovery seems to be in a rush ?  They're having coffee, getting more effective people mgmt. tips, and taking their time to have deep meaningful conversations about relationships.  And I thought the pep talks on 'The Flash' were bad, this show is worse.

And about the "hydrocarbons" -- why would the filters on the suits let an unidentified substance through by default, instead of blocking it ?  That makes no sense.  They are spacesuits that shouldn't really be letting anything through.  While the suits looked pretty cool in daylight, whichever producer thought that going all 'Tron in the dark' was a good idea needs to check themselves.

Instead of investigating the destroyed planet, why didn't they investigate the Dyson rings instead ?

I was really disappointed by the Galactic barrier -- how come nobody developed gnarly psychic powers ? 
Grudge with psychic powers -- now that would be fun.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, salaydouk said:

I don't believe for one second Tarka could take Reno...  she would mop the floor with him. That said, I think that Reno is just savvy enough to have let Tarka take her prisoner with the thought that she could sabatoge him and Book later. 

I was kind of surprised to see Tarka on the floor with Reno looming over him and then cut to she's the prisoner. 😲

I suspect that some kind of engineering emergency will occur that will require her to help save the day.

Enough please with the slo-mo walking before taking on an important mission - 2nd time this season! It's just so cheesy at this point.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, aemom said:

Enough please with the slo-mo walking before taking on an important mission - 2nd time this season! It's just so cheesy at this point.

At least there were no decorative sparks flying around for added dramatic effect 🙄 there should be a rule regarding hero walks: not more than one per season and that one belongs to the penultimate or ultimate episode. Mid-season hero walks are not a thing!

Edited by MissLucas
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

And about the "hydrocarbons" -- why would the filters on the suits let an unidentified substance through by default, instead of blocking it ? 

Does this show have a science advisor? Serious question.

Life is too short to hate watch, yet here I am. I have only myself to blame. Just because I identify as a Trekkie doesnt mean I have to watch all the Treks. I gave up on Prodigy not because its a bad show, but because it just wasn't for me.

I watched this episode of STD right after Picard. Although the later show is not without its flaws, of the Two Treks Picard is the more engageing and exciting, at least to me. YMMV.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 3
(edited)
15 hours ago, marinw said:

Life is too short to hate watch, yet here I am. I have only myself to blame. Just because I indentify as a Trekkie doesnt mean I have to watch all the Treks. I gave up on Prodigy not because it is a bad show, but because it just wasn't for me.

I watched the episode of STD right after Picard. Although the later show is not without its flaws, of the Two Treks Picard is the more engageing and exciting, at least to me. YMMV.

Might have to do with general lack of whispering on Picard ... Enunciating also helps

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

These people should know by now not to try to talk Burnham out of anything. Whatever she decides to do has to be right, always. She never lacks the courage of her convictions, even to pretty much everyone's possible peril. Yawn.

Oh Book, you should listen to that little voice telling you Tarka is going to get you in trouble.

Detmer's ability to compartmentalize FTW.

A stroll on the holodeck with Saru. Sure, T'Rina. You had to keep it clean because of all the other people around. Now go get your man--while you still can. 😏

And there it is. Tarka took Reno hostage. (Or did he?) Here's your chance to do the right thing, Book.

The slo-mo walk didn't work for me.

The masks or ventilators or whatever they were filmed interestingly. The characters'/actors' faces seemed to become distorted and I don't know if it was intentional in terms of the sandy, hostile climate or the design just made them that way. I felt like I was watching some sort of horror movie with weird clowns. Yeah, I didn't care for this ep.

The feelings/therapy session turned me off. The season is almost over and this ep just seemed like a waste. If it is a galactic barrier thing, make it so. Detmer can compartmentalize, so good for her.

Burnham is quite headstrong and does what she does. Yes, the Captain takes reponsibility for the decisions but there is a team. And the captain lets the individual team members shine.

Saru, have fun with the Vulcan lady. You deserve it after the trip to that planet.

Tarka captured Reno or is she just playing him? Will Book do the right thing? Will Grudge be fed up, sharpen her claws, and join the party?

Looking more to the new Capt. Pike series.....

On 3/4/2022 at 10:13 AM, sugarbaker design said:

an obviously crushing Adira on Detmer. ...  Sorry Adira, Detmer's way out of your league!  This is really Grey's Anatomy in space.

I guess Adira is missing Grey's anatomy!

• LOL 9
21 hours ago, marinw said:

Their current advisor is Dr. Erin MacDonald, an astrophysicist who cites Janeway as a major inspiration for her career choice.

She actually made it into canon, because in the season finale of Lower Decks, you can hear one of the characters bellow "DR ERIN SAYS WE CAN'T DO THAT!" when a solution to a problem is suggested.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 3/4/2022 at 8:13 AM, sugarbaker design said:

It's hysterical that the fate of 2 worlds is in danger, and yet the crew can't help but comment on and advise on romantic relationships.

Yeah, I held off for a while, but this was the ep where I started fast-forwarding through segments. Pretty much anything not on the planet in this ep. Because I can't deal with listening to these characters talk about things and finally arriving at the choice that was obvious from the start.

I was excited for a second at the giant bone. A species the size of dinosaurs? That's different. But after all the pheromone talk, I am not holding my breath (pun intended) that the big bones will pay off. I'm guessing the big bone was from the bad guy that attacked Species 10-c however long ago.

On 3/4/2022 at 4:02 PM, tennisgurl said:

Because when Reno is hardly a professional kickboxer or anything, he isn't exactly a fighter, how did he drag her back all the way back to her ship? Knock her out?

I'm guessing Jet is playing her own con here, and will prevail.

On 3/5/2022 at 12:37 PM, marinw said:

Just because I identify as a Trekkie doesnt mean I have to watch all the Treks. I gave up on Prodigy not because its a bad show, but because it just wasn't for me.

I gave up on Enterprise because I thought it was awful. But I love ST. You're not alone.

Discovery was at its best with Pike present, and Michael as a co-star character. The writers seem determined to make Discovery be about emotions, and the momentum gained when Pike was on deck were lost.

• Love 2

The crew didn't get in touch with their own emotions.  They got in touch with the 10C's emotions.

At first I read this as 10CC's emotions and started hearing "I'm Not In Love" (which wouldn't have been out of place in this episode).

It's hysterical that the fate of 2 worlds is in danger, and yet the crew can't help but comment on and advise on romantic relationships.  Book gazing wisfully through a bulkhead at a pensive Burnham.  Culber and Burnham gleefully speculating about Saru and the president of Navar.  Jet giving advice to an obviously crushing Adira on Detmer. 

No kidding!   Everybody we've ever known is about to die, but you do you like like her?  Idiots!   Hugh is the absolute worst.

Adira seems useless and lost without her mindlessly smiling/crying friend.

One thing I truly appreciate about this show is that it validates and reinforces my hatred for it every time I watch.  I never come away questioning my own judgment.  There's never the odd good episode that makes me think, "Maybe I'm wrong."  This shit has been going on for four seasons; hopefully the fifth will be the last.  I read somewhere that series shoot for five seasons to improve the possibilities of syndication deals -- although I suspect Star Trek Discovery will have only limited appeal down the line.   It's a terrible show and I doubt it will age well. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, millennium said:

At first I read this as 10CC's emotions and started hearing "I'm Not In Love" (which wouldn't have been out of place in this episode).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this!😊

• LOL 1
24 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this!😊

Picture Saru singing "I'm Not In Love" as President T'rina whispers "Big boys don't cry -- on Vulcan."

Edited by millennium
  • LOL 1