Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order: SVU Actors In Other Roles...

• Start Topic

Just as the title says. Pretty self explanatory, right?

I'll start: Obviously, Surviving Jack went belly up for Chris Meloni, but if you want to see him do some good comedy, check out S3, Episode 3 ("My White Whale") of Scrubs (It's on Netflix) as a sarcastic pediatrician named Dr. Dave Norris who spars with John C. McGinley's equally sarcastic and acerbic Dr. Cox. It was gold. (Must have been filmed during SVU down time.)

Heck, my parents still like him from an early '90s sitcom called The Fanelli Boys. I never watched it, but I guess it was on CBS for a season and they say he played a dumb (like Joey on Friends) character very well.

• Love 2

Raul Esparza has done some other TV roles, all of them fantastic.

He was in CI and the Mothership- Lady's Man and Blackmail respectively- as the bad guys. Lady's Man in particular had some incredible acting. So many of his moments could have been narmy, but he made them work.

He is currently on Hannibal, playing the deliciously smarmy and somehow fan favorite Frederick Chilton. He was also on Pushing Daises as the traveling homeopathic drug salesman, Alfredo Aldarisio. I'm still angry he never got any resolution with Olive!

If you're a Barba fan, I recommend you check all of these out.

As a big CI fan, I'm very familiar with Raul Esparza's guest role as Kevin Mulrooney in "Lady's Man". I felt so sorry for Alex Eames then, but Esparza did a great job!

How ironic that even as a bad guy, he played another ADA. 

I'll have to check out his bad-guy role on the Mothership!

NBC Chase with Kelli Giddish is like my #1 show of all times. It's fricking awesome, so bummed it only got one season. I loved everything about that show except when Rose Rollins' character Daisy went a little(?) haywire.

I've seen most of Kelli Giddish work since I'm a big fan. She was awesome on The Good Wife. I bought S1 of Damages just to see her tiny apperances in two eps. She was great on Without a Trace and decent on L&O CI. I liked the movie Breathless but probably mostly cause she was in it. The Understudy was a little weird. Witches of the Caribbean was hilarious. Webserie The Burg is awesome, so bummed that website is down.

I loved Danny Pino in Cold Case, brilliant show. He fell flat in the movie The Burning Plain imo but I liked that movie.

And I really liked Tamara Tunie in The Red Road, show was so-so but she was awesome.

Esparza is super friggin awesome in Hannibal but I wish he would've just died already, I want him on SVU fulltime.

Of note, Mariska Hargitay had a short arc on ER (where, coincidentally, or maybe not so much, Neal Baer worked behind the scenes there, too...) as an emotional wreck of a desk clerk in Season 4 named Cynthia, who had a fling with Anthony Edwards' Dr. Mark Greene. She was obviously a lot younger and had super long hair in the role.

And her character was irritating as hell, but here, she was supposed to be, so MH did well there.

• Love 2

Danny Pino did excellent work on season 2 of The Shield, playing an arc villain who was widely considered to be one of the most flat-out evil characters to appear during the show's run. Fun fact: Jay Karnes, who was a regular on that show as Detective Wagenbach, also played Dana Lewis' ex-boyfriend Noah in "Secrets Exhumed."   Kind of fun to watch them on opposite sides of the interrogation.

• Love 1

Of note, Mariska Hargitay had a short arc on ER (where, coincidentally, or maybe not so much, Neal Baer worked behind the scenes there, too...) as an emotional wreck of a desk clerk in Season 4 named Cynthia, who had a fling with Anthony Edwards' Dr. Mark Greene. She was obviously a lot younger and had super long hair in the role.

And her character was irritating as hell, but here, she was supposed to be, so MH did well there.

True. I hate the character, though. She's just too needy.

• Love 2

Michelle Hurd (the former Monique Jeffries) was in an episode of How to Get Away with Murder, playing an attorney who was opposing Bonnie in a case (since Annalise was out of the lawyering game for the week due to a brief emotional meltdown).

While technically the same show, I did see an actor recycled for another role.  Dan Lauria, who'd played the very nice, decent Peter Kurtz in "Damaged" in season four (the episode with the sociopathic adoptive daughter who had her little sister drugged, raped, and, after she found out, murdered, and her father begged for her not to get the death penalty despite her richly deserving it) came back nine seasons later as the evil, child-molesting basketball coach Ray Masters in "Personal Fouls" in season thirteen (Amaro's first episode, Rollins's second).  It was amazing watching him portray an honest guy in season four and a total (though stealth) creep in season thirteen.

Caroline Dvarnas from Hannibal (she's Alana Bloom) did several episodes on several incarnations when she was a young'un. She's like seventeen in one where she kills her best friend because they were both lesbians and the BF wanted to come out and she panicked.

Giddish played one of the sunken treasure ship hunters on CI. It's the source of one of my favorite goofs--there's a scene in the beginning where she's getting out of the shower and her hair goes from wet to dry to wet again between shots.

Michelle Hurd will always be ADA Dana Kramer from Another World to me.  They never gave her enough to do on there, but she was still really good.

I'm a huge fan of Kelli's from back in her All My Children days, so I've seen pretty much everything she's done - guest starring roles, The Burg, indie movies, Past Life, Chase, etc.  And she is just insanely, incredibly kind.  I ran a little message board dedicated to her during her AMC stint and, long story short, ended up getting to hang out with her for a little while one day.  It was such a great experience and I'll never forget how much she went out of her way to be nice when she didn't have to.  The extra cool thing is that she had just finished shooting her stint on CI like the day before.

• Love 1

Christopher Meloni, DB Wong and Dean Winters and other actors from the mothership all had great roles on OZ.

L&O: CI's Kathryn Erbe and Rita Moreno, who went on to play Bobby Goren's schizophrenic mom , also on CI obviously, were also on Oz. Seemed like the unofficial casting pool for the franchise.

Oh yeah, there's a ton of actor overlap with Oz.  The guy who played O'Halloran played a completely awful human being on Oz, Kirk Acevedo was Barba's other childhood friend (not Munoz) in "October Surprise," Sean Dugan played psycho corrupted Catholics on both shows (Timmy Kirk on Oz and a perp in the same episode with Eric Stoltz), and Harold Perrineau even showed up in a wheelchair for his SVU episode.

Edit: And how could I forget!  The great Lothaire Bluteau, who's shown up three times on SVU and once on CI, had a really tragic one-shot appearance on Oz.  He appeared only in one episode but it was a hell of a memorable character.

Edited by Malbec
  • Love 1

During the democratic convention, many stars sang "what the world needs now, is love sweet love"., among them was BD Wong, who has a powerful voice. who knew.

Edited by Lillybee
37 minutes ago, Lillybee said:

During the democratic convention, many stars sang "what the world needs now, is love sweet love"., among them was BD Wong, who has a powerful voice. who knew.

Not me. I don't think he has sung or will sing in Mr. Robot either. I may have to Google the video of it.

11 hours ago, Lillybee said:

I see you never watched the musical episode of Oz : )  BD Wong basically had his huge breakout (on Broadway at least) playing Song Liling in M.Butterfly (and won a shit-load of awards), and he was also Linus in the 1999 revival of You're a Good Man Charlie Brown.  I never understood why he wasn't also the singing voice of Li Shang in Mulan - he was already the speaking voice and can sing quite well, so I have no idea why they had Donny Osmond as the singing voice.

• Love 7

I saw Groundhog Day last week, and Andy Karl was great. I actually couldn't believe it was the same person who was on SVU, they honestly did him such a disservice with what material was given.

52 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

So...Ice T in a Geico commercial running a lemonade stand. Why not?

Why not indeed. It would have been perfection if they could have gotten Arnold Palmer too though. Or Beyonce, but she's probably too expensive...

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 1
On 9/13/2016 at 6:07 PM, WendyCR72 said:

So...Ice T in a Geico commercial running a lemonade stand. Why not?

I really like that ad.

Mariska Haritigay was in a season 1 episode of In The Heat Of The Night TV show.

• Love 1

I knew it! That loser Jeri Ryan is the f'ing kiss of death! As soon as I heard I knew....it's doomed. Interestingly, it WAS in the fall lineup...before they told us Jeri Ryan was in it. Wait a minute....I thought it was on another network?

Raul Esparza Sets New York Stage Return in Bertolt Brecht's The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui

Raúl Esparza is headed back to the New York stage. The four-time Tony-nominated actor will take on the title role in Classic Stage Company's upcoming production of Bertolt Brecht’s comical yet disturbing play The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui. Tony winner and CSC Artistic Director John Doyle will direct the previously announced staging, set to begin previews on October 30 with an opening scheduled for November 14. The play will run for a limited engagement through December 22.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 1
On 8/9/2014 at 4:00 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I'll start: Obviously, Surviving Jack went belly up for Chris Meloni, but if you want to see him do some good comedy, check out S3, Episode 3 ("My White Whale") of Scrubs (It's on Netflix) as a sarcastic pediatrician named Dr. Dave Norris who spars with John C. McGinley's equally sarcastic and acerbic Dr. Cox. It was gold. (Must have been filmed during SVU down time.)

Harold and Kumar.  Freakshow.  OMG. 

That is all.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 10/22/2014 at 9:37 PM, Malbec said:

Danny Pino did excellent work on season 2 of The Shield, playing an arc villain who was widely considered to be one of the most flat-out evil characters to appear during the show's run. Fun fact: Jay Karnes, who was a regular on that show as Detective Wagenbach, also played Dana Lewis' ex-boyfriend Noah in "Secrets Exhumed."   Kind of fun to watch them on opposite sides of the interrogation.

Danny Pino did excellent work on season 2 of The Shield, playing an arc villain who was widely considered to be one of the most flat-out evil characters to appear during the show's run

Armadillo was one scary MFer.  The fact that his way to subdue females of any age (you read that right), was to rape them was scary.

JK Simmons in Lady Killers.

His character was so oblivious it was ridiculous.

On 2/3/2019 at 6:39 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Apparently, Christopher Meloni has joined the upcoming third season of The Handmaid's Tale as "an influential commander".

Will he be returning to POSE?

Just now, GordonGartrelle said:

JK Simmons in Lady Killers.

His character was so oblivious it was ridiculous.

Will he be returning to POSE?

I guess I CAN just look that up.

On 9/30/2015 at 11:18 AM, TaraS1 said:

Michelle Hurd will always be ADA Dana Kramer from Another World to me.  They never gave her enough to do on there, but she was still really good.

I'm a huge fan of Kelli's from back in her All My Children days, so I've seen pretty much everything she's done - guest starring roles, The Burg, indie movies, Past Life, Chase, etc.  And she is just insanely, incredibly kind.  I ran a little message board dedicated to her during her AMC stint and, long story short, ended up getting to hang out with her for a little while one day.  It was such a great experience and I'll never forget how much she went out of her way to be nice when she didn't have to.  The extra cool thing is that she had just finished shooting her stint on CI like the day before.

I loved Chase.

I'm a big fan of her just being Southern.  I know actors don't want to be typecast but honestly that her deal.

JK Simmons, much like Meloni, works on a wide variety of projects. This means there's always some role of his that surprises you. Schillinger from Oz is one of his iconic roles as is Skoda, J. Jonah Jameson from Spider-Man, and the voice of the yellow M&M. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:
20 hours ago, deirdra said:

Is that SVU's "Brian Cassidy" playing "Mayhem", stealing cars in the Allstate Insurance commercial?

Yep!

In fact, we tend to just refer to him as "Mayhem" whenever we see him in something, rather than "Dean Winters" or "Cassidy". 

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, illdoc said:

In fact, we tend to just refer to him as "Mayhem" whenever we see him in something, rather than "Dean Winters" or "Cassidy". 

Mayhem is the best role I've seen him in and he seems to have been having a lot of fun getting into character 😉

• Love 3
On 3/3/2019 at 3:45 PM, deirdra said:

Mayhem is the best role I've seen him in and he seems to have been having a lot of fun getting into character 😉

The one where he is a car thief as the car owner watches in horror on his phone cracks me up.

What?!

WHAT?

WHAT?!?!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2