Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 2/14/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

So Sunny, Joy, Sara and even the guest cohost Lauren all had someone tell them they weren't going to succeed at something in their career. But Whoopi says nah never happened to me.  I don't believe that for one second.

I don't believe it either.  While Whoopi was still Caryn, I bet she received a lot of cruel comments and veiled advice.  Her mother (sometimes a nurse; sometimes a teacher) probably wanted something for her that would bring stability and happiness. After she became "Whoopi," she tried to ignore the naysayers and keep on truckin'.  And...we'll never know how many were afraid to address things to her face.  I wouldn't want to...  especially when she was younger.   Yeah, it happened to her along with anyone else who reached higher.

• Love 4
On 2/16/2022 at 7:10 AM, Haleth said:

Because I’m old I don’t know what this means. 

We can always check the 'net ... but it sometimes gives us archaic information.

I like to start with "Urban Dictionary," when it seems way off.  It's usually right.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

I don’t think Whoopi likes Lauren, so, if so, she probably doesn’t have a chance of a permanent spot.

I didn't get that impression from Whoopi. Besides, who died and left her boss?

9 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

In all seriousness, I thought the pay was high?

Well yeah, the pay would be high but I am assuming that when the candidates reach the serious contender stage, they will have an agent negotiating a contract for them, including salary, and some will ask for more money than others since that's how these things work.  And oftentimes, the person who lands the job isn't always the studio's first choice or even their second choice; sometimes it's just the person who agreed to the terms of the contract; most especially, the salary. 

And since this show seems to be produced on the cheap and goes through hosts like Kleenex, I can't imagine the salary is the most lucrative part of the deal.  So some of the candidates may say thanks, but no thanks. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Buckeye71034 said:

When are Liz and Meredith coming again? Only 1.5 weeks in February and both were supposed to make appearances?

They heard you.  Meredith will be there next Friday. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I love that Joy gave kudos to Rosie O calling out Trump.

I wish the View leaned into that View history nugget a bit more. That whole kerfuffle truly was a precursor to the nightmare Trump became and Rosie was truly the first to publicly call him out on his BS (to the chagrin of BW).

• Useful 2
  • Love 19

I am enjoying today's show, the ladies seem relaxed & chuckling about the topics.  Sunny does like to blurt out blunt opinions!  But she said her husband does the same.  Ana is always the best.  Loving the Mary J interview!

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

According to Rosie O'Donnell, no.  A few year ago she said on her podcast how The View really screws its hosts over on the money.  

Interesting, I just remember hearing about Sunny being shortchanged. I thought the pay was high for someone like Whoopi Goldberg to want the gig. 

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I thought the pay was high for someone like Whoopi Goldberg to want the gig. 

Well it might be high for Whoopi.  There is no way they are all being paid the same.

50 minutes ago, JayD83 said:

Grey hair is natural, Sunny.  She sounds like a fool saying that she doesn't like it, ON OTHER PEOPLE!  Everybody doesn't want to still look 25. 

As I have said before Sunny thinks what she thinks is always the right thing.  If she doesn't like gray hair then nobody should have gray hair.

1 hour ago, geekburger said:

I love that Joy gave kudos to Rosie O calling out Trump.

I wish the View leaned into that View history nugget a bit more. That whole kerfuffle truly was a precursor to the nightmare Trump became and Rosie was truly the first to publicly call him out on his BS (to the chagrin of BW).

Rosie was not afraid of him at all.  We need more people like that.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

Well it might be high for Whoopi.  There is no way they are all being paid the same.

As I have said before Sunny thinks what she thinks is always the right thing.  If she doesn't like gray hair then nobody should have gray hair.

Rosie was not afraid of him at all.  We need more people like that.

Oh for sure. But they should all still get bank for their names/resumes. 

I adored Rosie because she was outspoken and passionate but came from a good place. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Interesting, I just remember hearing about Sunny being shortchanged. I thought the pay was high for someone like Whoopi Goldberg to want the gig. 

Whoopi reportedly makes $8 million and Joy reportedly $7 million. I remember when Joy came back she was getting like $3 million or something but that was in 2015 so would make sense she got a lot higher at her last contract as they clearly realized she's as big of a draw as Whoopi. 

I doubt any full time host on the View makes less than $500k and they all have other jobs too so hardly feel bad for any of them. Sunny is clearly just comparing herself to Whoopi and Joy when that's just not her level.

Sources: https://www.ibtimes.com/whoopi-goldberg-view-salary-heres-how-much-she-earning-yearly-3388743

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/3061051/the-views-joy-behars-net-worth-revealed/

Edited by Buckeye71034
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I am enjoying today's show, the ladies seem relaxed & chuckling about the topics.  Sunny does like to blurt out blunt opinions!  But she said her husband does the same.  Ana is always the best.  Loving the Mary J interview!

Laughed at the grey hair discussion and enjoyed everything about today's show. Wish they would just leave it like this. No more looking for another host. It is enjoyable to watch them and to feel good instead of getting upset. Wonder if the father's daughter ever watches and sees how happy the group is now.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
44 minutes ago, mongoose said:

Laughed at the grey hair discussion and enjoyed everything about today's show. Wish they would just leave it like this. No more looking for another host. It is enjoyable to watch them and to feel good instead of getting upset. Wonder if the father's daughter ever watches and sees how happy the group is now.

I doubt the father’s daughter watches much tv.  Continually moving that stick that’s up her ass to sit down would get tiresome. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Buckeye71034 said:

Sunny is clearly just comparing herself to Whoopi and Joy when that's just not her level.

The problem is that Sunny's level is SO FAR ABOVE any current or former panelist, that she knows she deserves twice as much as any of 'em.   She's absolutely THE BEST.  Her mom told her...and she believes it.  She asked her husband and their children; they didn't dare disagree.

• LOL 8
3 hours ago, Buckeye71034 said:

Whoopi reportedly makes $8 million and Joy reportedly $7 million. I remember when Joy came back she was getting like $3 million or something but that was in 2015 so would make sense she got a lot higher at her last contract as they clearly realized she's as big of a draw as Whoopi. 

I doubt any full time host on the View makes less than $500k and they all have other jobs too so hardly feel bad for any of them. Sunny is clearly just comparing herself to Whoopi and Joy when that's just not her level.

Oh, wow. All I remembered was the 3 million number for Joy. I assumed both her and Whoopi got around that same area; I didn't realize they had managed to go higher since. And I recall when the last co-host started there, as the lowest on the totem pole, she made 1 million per season (and so I assume Sara and Sunny are a little above that level--1.5 million or something). A million is still a lot in my eyes, but that's probably peanuts in the scheme of things for TV personalities, and that's taking into consideration they probably have to live somewhere nearby that costs a great deal in order to get to the show on time every day.

The grey hair segment was the funniest thing, I had to rewind it several times to watch it again. I think Sunny didn't like Joy telling her she messed up, and so brought up what Joy said to one of the producers. I love how Joy just burst out laughing and played along with it rather than blowing up like some co-hosts might've done. Friday's remain the best days for this show thanks to Joy and Ana.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:
3 hours ago, JayD83 said:

Grey hair is natural, Sunny.  She sounds like a fool saying that she doesn't like it, ON OTHER PEOPLE!  Everybody doesn't want to still look 25. 

Sometimes when photos of Sunny's husband are shown I wonder to myself, "Is that guy dyeing his hair?"  It seems too black at times.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Buckeye71034 said:

Sources: https://www.ibtimes.com/whoopi-goldberg-view-salary-heres-how-much-she-earning-yearly-3388743

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/3061051/the-views-joy-behars-net-worth-revealed/

I doubt she was comparing herself to Joy or Whoopi.   Sunny has high self esteem, but she's a realist.   She was likely comparing her salary to the other panelists on the panel.   

I remember hearing Sherri Shephard saying she was grateful that that Rosie O told her how much she made because it helped her negotiate her salary.   She otherwise would have made a whole lot less.

So if Sunny didn't have anyone doing that for her.  She may have accepted what was offered instead of negotiating a higher salary.  

3 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Sometimes when photos of Sunny's husband are shown I wonder to myself, "Is that guy dyeing his hair?"  It seems too black at times.

I'd bet he is.  Otherwise Sunny would tell him his hair was aging him 🙂

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Oh, wow. All I remembered was the 3 million number for Joy. I assumed both her and Whoopi got around that same area; I didn't realize they had managed to go higher since. And I recall when the last co-host started there, as the lowest on the totem pole, she made 1 million per season (and so I assume Sara and Sunny are a little above that level--1.5 million or something). A million is still a lot in my eyes, but that's probably peanuts in the scheme of things for TV personalities, and that's taking into consideration they probably have to live somewhere nearby that costs a great deal in order to get to the show on time every day.

The grey hair segment was the funniest thing, I had to rewind it several times to watch it again. I think Sunny didn't like Joy telling her she messed up, and so brought up what Joy said to one of the producers. I love how Joy just burst out laughing and played along with it rather than blowing up like some co-hosts might've done. Friday's remain the best days for this show thanks to Joy and Ana.

how is a million not a lot for Sunny? Before the View she was simply just a contributor for CNN which I know for a fact only makes in the low hundred thousands for cable news. Not to mention her husband the doctor... At least with Sara she does a ton of other stuff for ABC as well. not as much as she used to but still everywhere it seems like sometimes.

Gray hair: Don't lie, but there's no need to make someone feel bad by making unkind comments. I think it is ok to say something like, "I think this will take a while to get used to because I really liked your previous color." That can be the start of a conversation about whether there is anything (different cut, hair product, etc.) that could improve the gray hair look. 

Also, keep in mind that continuing to color your hair as if you are in your 30's when you are well past that age also ages you because it is hard for others to ignore the contrast.

Disclaimer: I stopped coloring my hair a few years ago and I've been fortunate to end up with a kind of attractive streak of gray while the rest of my hair is now a lighter shade of brown. I doubt I'll go back to coloring because it really is a pain and a time & money suck.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

The grey hair had me laughing through the segment. The other thing that makes it fun is that they can all laugh at themselves. 

• Love 7

I can be a a bit of blurter, but not as bad as Sunny. I really try hard not to hurt people's feelings as a sensitive person myself. What I don't get though is when people ask questions there's only one answer to. 

Do I look fat?

Do you like my hair?

I mean, what are you supposed to say? I don't think the average person wants to say "yes" and "no, change your hair back immediately!"

I personally just look in the mirror if I want to know if I like the way something looks on me. I don't ask questions where I may not like the answer. 

If you're someone who really likes reassurance, just like answers can be given that are softer, the questions can set up the person being asked for a less hurtful response.

Like "are these jeans flattering on me, or should I put on the other ones?" or "Does the gray hair flatter me, or should I go back to dark?"

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

The problem is that Sunny's level is SO FAR ABOVE any current or former panelist, that she knows she deserves twice as much as any of 'em.   She's absolutely THE BEST.  Her mom told her...and she believes it.  She asked her husband and their children; they didn't dare disagree.

One might imagine she finds it hard to be humble when she was identified as a child prodigy in  third grade and graduated from high school at the age of 16.  Social skills were not discussed during the interview I watched but I recognize her bluntness in other gifted people who traveled a similar path in education. ;)

• Love 2

Sunny, I'm a blurter and just being honest - you should cut back on the wine if you want to lose your Covid pounds and your blonde extensions make you look like the Cowardly Lion.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Mldyold said:

One might imagine she finds it hard to be humble when she was identified as a child prodigy in  third grade

My sisters and I took those tests every year in elementary school, starting--I think--in third grade; we assumed every elementary school kid did.  We also tested at 12th grade in reading, comprehension, and vocabulary--and we weren't the only ones.  Our mother didn't think it was any big deal and NO ONE ever told us we were prodigies--even the nuns who monitored and graded the tests.  When my middle sister worked in the school office in high school, she learned that our IQ scores were pretty darned high.  Again, no nun said a word to us or our mother.  Who knew!  We coulda been Sunnies!!!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Gray hair: Don't lie, but there's no need to make someone feel bad by making unkind comments. I think it is ok to say something like, "I think this will take a while to get used to because I really liked your previous color."

My auburn hair got a little help...toward red when my friend (in beauty school) put me in a Clairol hair show.  It may have been my imagination, but I really think I became more popular (therefore "vivacious") with that brighter color.  It was Sparkling Sherry+Red Ginger for decades.  When natural red hair goes gray, it often goes WHITE!  That was happening under my Miss Clairol for years.  Soon my hair wouldn't hold ANY color, so in my early 50s I let it grow out to SHOCKING WHITE!  No salt-n-pepper...no gradually--just WHITE.  I'm in my 80s, but even in my 60s people would say, "I just can't get used to you without red hair."

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

A professor who would have time to be a regular on this show probably wasn't much of a professor.

I don't know what professor's make, but if I had a choice between teaching 40 hours a week for 6 figures versus speaking my opinion for 5 hours a week for up to 7 figures a week, guess what I'm doing? 😉

• Love 7

When someone asks me about something on them that I hate, I always just say something generic about it - what a change! or the blue in that (atrociously wild print) is one of my favorites! - and then I ask them what they think about it.  If they like it, that's all that matters.  You give your opinion about two outfits -yes, I like the one on the left better - but why would you make someone feel bad about their hair?  As someone else said, coloring hair too strongly can then age someone when it begins to  look too harsh against their old wrinkled skin.  At minimum, Sunny should have said I prefer your hair with color, not I don't like it.  Diplomacy is not lying, and blurting hurtful things is not "truth."

• Love 11
1 hour ago, munchiewoman said:

When someone asks me about something on them that I hate, I always just say something generic about it - what a change! or the blue in that (atrociously wild print) is one of my favorites! - and then I ask them what they think about it.  If they like it, that's all that matters.  You give your opinion about two outfits -yes, I like the one on the left better - but why would you make someone feel bad about their hair?  As someone else said, coloring hair too strongly can then age someone when it begins to  look too harsh against their old wrinkled skin.  At minimum, Sunny should have said I prefer your hair with color, not I don't like it.  Diplomacy is not lying, and blurting hurtful things is not "truth."

Yeah, I think being honest is generally good, but brutally honest? Not so much. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I think that some people who say they are brutally honest think they are too good to give thoughtful feedback that won't be hurtful. Also, once you recognize you are a "blurter", you can work on changing that. It isn't something like eye color which you can't change; it is a behavior that a person can modify if they care to.

• Love 8

I'd like to tell Sunny that the older a woman gets, the less flattering long hair looks.  It draws the face downward.  Sunny's not at that point yet (at least not on the TV screen--I don't know about in person), but in ten years her youthful hairstyle won't look good on her.

I started getting gray at 22 years of age.  I dyed my hair all through my 30s and 40s and then just got tired of dying it.  I figured, eh, if it ages me, it ages me.  I'm now 65 with, luckily, silver hair (as opposed to gray) and I've had two hairstylists tell me, "Don't you dare ever dye your beautiful silver hair."  

I was distracted during the Mary J. Blige interview by her heavy-looking earrings pulling and stretching her poor earlobes.  

I agree this was a fun episode.  No Whoopi; Ana there; and lots of interesting and fun conversation.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I think that some people who say they are brutally honest think they are too good to give thoughtful feedback that won't be hurtful. Also, once you recognize you are a "blurter", you can work on changing that. It isn't something like eye color which you can't change; it is a behavior that a person can modify if they care to.

A therapist on a trash-tv show I watch (MAFS, iykyk) told a woman "you speak what you think and you speak what you feel. You wear that like a badge of honor. A lot of the time it's not." Sunny needs to hear this.

That being said, Sunny wants me to believe she cannot tell a lie when I have clearly seen her tell Whoopi she's funny or that she loves her Xmas sweaters!?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

To me, when one is brutally honest, it means he/she MEANS to be brutal.  They mean to hurt your/our feelings.  They ARE superior to us in every way...because that's how their mothers raised them--and that's how SHE is raising her children--with one exception: they had better NEVER be brutally honest with her.  OH! I don't mean anyone specific.

Edited by Back Atcha
There was a merge that won't work.
  • Love 2
On 2/18/2022 at 4:44 PM, Mldyold said:

One might imagine she finds it hard to be humble when she was identified as a child prodigy in  third grade and graduated from high school at the age of 16. 

I was going to make another snarky comment about my graduating at 17 (because my birthday is in June)...and how I COULD have graduated at 16 but my mother wouldn't let me skip third grade.  I think she was so pleased with her three "rhythm method" babies...spaced equally two years apart that she didn't want schooling to mess that up.  THAT SAID, I think Sunny graduated from high school at TWELVE!

• Love 1

Sunny thinks she's the smartest one in the room.  Always.  It's similar to kids who are very cute when they're small who grow into less than attractive adults.  They still think they're God's gift to the world because they had that confidence instilled in them at a young age. 

Sunny's parents told her she was the bestest ever and she still carries that belief to this day.  The interesting aspect for me is other than her intelligence, she is an extremely insecure and petty person. 

In her memoir she doesn't hesitate to attack people whom she thinks have done her wrong.  I won't go into details here because this is more about the week of topics but she does become part of the story when she puts forth her opinions.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Ellis Bell said:

Sunny's parents told her she was the bestest ever and she still carries that belief to this day.  The interesting aspect for me is other than her intelligence, she is an extremely insecure and petty person. 

Hear! Hear!

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Ellis Bell said:

Sunny thinks she's the smartest one in the room.  Always.  It's similar to kids who are very cute when they're small who grow into less than attractive adults.  They still think they're God's gift to the world because they had that confidence instilled in them at a young age. 

I've noticed kids were ugly ducklings still feel that way even when they glow up. The reverse makes sense. lol

• Love 2