Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Stand Still Like the Hummingbird

juno
  • Start Topic

Entertaining episode after the ugliness at the beginning.

Chase scenes were great, if unrealistic at times.  Some of it were meant to be funny, like literally crashing those parties, with the cops also landing hard.  Some inventive like her jumping down on the garage door.

Rue blowing up Cassie's secret is suppose to be funny but Maddy isn't kidding about hurting or killing Cassie.

Laurie only had injectable morphine but were there pills in that large suitcase?  Psychotic how she's calm that Rue didn't bring back her money.  She drugged up Rue and then called the henchmen, preparing to turn her out.

Realistically she doesn't escape that situation.  If that's the end of the drug dealer it would be incredible.  In fact, it could be realistic that she goes back for another fix rather than go back home, after hurting her mother and sister.  Do most junkies get scared straight at the prospect of being forced into prostitution or white slavery or they'll do anything for that fix?

• Love 2

I liked the episode cause Zendaya killed it but I also didn’t like the episode because the focus on just one person like this is not my favourite style.

Glad Elliot realized he was idiotic with everything.

I’m not a Jules fan but her just being there the whole time while Rue just went off the rails was good.

She did it to be a bitch but I’m glad Rue finally outed Cassie and Nate.

Its also obvious everyone will get naked on this show but Zendaya. Not that it matters but the show could make it less obvious.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 11

That was harrowing and very hard to watch, especially at the beginning, but damn Zendaya. That was some next level acting.

4 hours ago, Mr. R0b0t said:

It's Zendaya's Emmy to lose.

Just engrave her name into the trophy  now.  it won't be a contest.

• Love 8

I watched the episode. It started out with an intense fight with Rue, Gia and Leslie and the plot twist that Jules and Elliot were in the living room. I do empathize with Rue, there is a lot of sadness and grief she feels and I know it is difficult to deal with such feelings. To be in such emotional pain and missing someone can feel unbearable.

And I understand why she feels she needs the drugs, but she was also majorly freaking out over the pills being gone because she knows how dangerous Laurie is and she really messed up and did not think about her own safety and her friends and family.

Rue said horrible things to her sister, her mother, to Jules, she tried to take medication from Lexi and Cassie's Mum, she tried to take medication from Fez's grandmother and shoved him against the wall. I don't think that Rue meant all the horrible things she said, to the people she loves or cares about. I am not sure if they should be quick to forgive her though. I am not sure how I feel about Fez kicking Rue out at night when it could be dangerous. She crossed a line, but wow kicking someone out of your house, who you consider to be family, like that may have been harsh. I am not sure how they can come back from that.

I would have liked to have seen Rue/Lexi friendship.

Everyone wanted to help Rue but she also needs to help herself.

Edited by Ruby Red
  • Love 6

At what point as a parent with a child that has an addiction, do you consider the other child you have at home?  I feel at the point where I was barricaded in my other kid’s room…I would have called the cops.  This seems passed the point Rue’s mother can manage it.  

Heartbreaking but needs to be done.

also surprised Rue’s mother doesn’t know you use child locks when you take someone to detox. 

I was in Jules’ position once.  I had to call the parents of my best friend in college and let them know that she has a huge shoplifting issue and was arrested. Brutal, friend didn’t talk to me for years.  Sometimes you have to choose the person over friendship 

Edited by dmc
  • Like 1
  • Love 14
10 hours ago, aghst said:

Entertaining episode after the ugliness at the beginning.

Chase scenes were great, if unrealistic at times.  Some of it were meant to be funny, like literally crashing those parties, with the cops also landing hard.  Some inventive like her jumping down on the garage door.

Rue blowing up Cassie's secret is suppose to be funny but Maddy isn't kidding about hurting or killing Cassie.

Laurie only had injectable morphine but were there pills in that large suitcase?  Psychotic how she's calm that Rue didn't bring back her money.  She drugged up Rue and then called the henchmen, preparing to turn her out.

Realistically she doesn't escape that situation.  If that's the end of the drug dealer it would be incredible.  In fact, it could be realistic that she goes back for another fix rather than go back home, after hurting her mother and sister.  Do most junkies get scared straight at the prospect of being forced into prostitution or white slavery or they'll do anything for that fix?

I mean Cassie and Nate was always going to come out.  I’m not sure it matters who is the person who broke the news.  Cassie should have considered Maddy’s anger before she did it.  

• Love 6

I think it is interesting that this episode touched on two addictions that are the fallout from father issues. Rue, who uses illicit drugs to manage her neurodivergent mental issues and grief from her father's death and a smaller extent Cassie that seeks out male validation to deal with her father abandoning her and her sister. They have both picked the worst path and lied to themselves about how bad really it is it tell it blew up in the worst way.

Nice parallel that both Rue and Cassie were willing to throw each other the bus to protect their secrets. It makes it kind of heartbreaking considering in 2x03 they had a sweet little bathroom exchange where Cassie called her "Rue Rue" and Rue called her "Cass"

3 hours ago, Ruby Red said:

I watched the episode. It started out with an intense fight with Rue, Gia and Leslie and the plot twist that Jules and Elliot were in the living room. I do empathize with Rue, there is a lot of sadness and grief she feels and I know it is difficult to deal with such feelings. To be in such emotional pain and missing someone can feel unbearable.

And I understand why she feels she needs the drugs, but she was also majorly freaking out over the pills being gone because she knows how dangerous Laurie is and she really messed up and did not think about her own safety and her friends and family.

Rue said horrible things to her sister, her mother, to Jules, she tried to take medication from Lexi and Cassie's Mum, she tried to take medication from Fez's grandmother and shoved him against the wall. I don't think that Rue meant all the horrible things she said, to the people she loves or cares about. I am not sure if they should be quick to forgive her though. I am not sure how I feel about Fez kicking Rue out at night when it could be dangerous. She crossed a line, but wow kicking someone out of your house, who you consider to be family, like that may have been harsh. I am not sure how they can come back from that.

I would have liked to have seen Rue/Lexi friendship.

Everyone wanted to help Rue but she also needs to help herself.

I think Fez was fine with Rue staying there until she tried to rob his bed ridden grandma's meds. I suspect going into her room is a rule that not even Faye would break. I am sure he will feel guilty since he is her dealer and felt bad the last time he denied her drugs since he is partially responsible. I don't know how he will react if he finds out that Rue went over his head and got a suitcase full of drugs from Laurie. It is might be a mixture of anger and guilt since he introduced Rue to that drug gang. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 8
29 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I think it is interesting that this episode touched on two addictions that are the fallout from father issues. Rue, who uses illicit drugs to manage her neurodivergent mental issues and grief from her father's death and a smaller extent Cassie that seeks out male validation to deal with her father abandoning her and her sister. They have both picked the worst path and lied to themselves about how bad really it is it tell it blew up in the worst way.

Nice parallel that both Rue and Cassie were willing to throw each other the bus to protect their secrets. It makes it kind of heartbreaking considering in 2x03 they had a sweet little bathroom exchange where Cassie called her "Rue Rue" and Rue called her "Cass"

I think Fez was fine with Rue staying there until she tried to rob his bed ridden grandma's meds. I suspect going into her room is a rule that not even Faye would break. I am sure he will feel guilty since he is her dealer and felt bad the last time he denied her drugs. I don't know how he will react when he finds out that Rue went over his head and got a suitcase full of drugs from Laurie. It is might be a mixture of anger and guilt since he introduced Rue to that drug gang. 

Do we think that Rue is still using to manage grief/mental issues?  I feel like that's why she started but at this point...I think its just the addiction right? I think she probably tells herself that but there's a point where the addiction supersedes your previous motivations.  

Edited by dmc
  • Love 8
57 minutes ago, dmc said:

Do we think that Rue is still using to manage grief/mental issues?  I feel like that's why she started but at this point...I think its just the addiction right? I think she probably tells herself that but there's a point where the addiction supersedes your previous motivations.  

I've read some stuff about addiction and there is usually an emotional component in addition to the physical ones. I think it says something that a few episodes ago, she told Elliot she wouldn't be have been brave enough to talk to him without the drugs, as it is probably due to her anxiety rather than shyness. However, the physical pain of withdrawal is what is driving her looking for drugs, in addition to her rightfully freaking out that owes Laurie for the suitcase. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Having Rue in the home is a danger of harm to her younger sister. In fact the mental abuse by Rue against her sister is already happening and is unacceptable.  The mother is not able to control Rue or her violence. It’s not the sister’s job to ride around searching for her abusive sister nor is it fair to have younger sister living in a home with so much chaos and dysfunction.  The mother can petition the courts to take custody of Rue.

Wouldn’t the mother figure out that Rue owes some drug dealer for the suitcase of drugs and that they are going to come looking for their payment?  

Rue could have a career in the police force based on her physical aptitude.  The drug use and criminal activity would probably preclude that though.  lol

Those were some pretty pitiful watchmen to not hear her escaping.  

Man, I’m sick of Rue and the drug storyline.  

• Love 12

People always talk about women with daddy issues -- missing or emotionally-distant fathers.

But whatever makes Rue behave the way she does isn't affecting Gia.

And whatever makes Cassie so needy doesn't seem to apply to Lexi.

Is that often the case, among sisters, only one of them, not necessarily all, will act out because she didn't have emotional affirmation from her father?

Why wouldn't it affect all sisters who grew up with literally or emotionally AWOL fathers?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I've read some stuff about addiction and there is usually an emotional component in addition to the physical ones. I think it says something that a few episodes ago, she told Elliot she wouldn't be have been brave enough to talk to him without the drugs, as it is probably due to her anxiety rather than shyness. However, the physical pain of withdrawal is what is driving her looking for drugs, in addition to her rightfully freaking out that owes Laurie for the suitcase. 

Thank you for explaining this to me

17 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Having Rue in the home is a danger of harm to her younger sister. In fact the mental abuse by Rue against her sister is already happening and is unacceptable.  The mother is not able to control Rue or her violence. It’s not the sister’s job to ride around searching for her abusive sister nor is it fair to have younger sister living in a home with so much chaos and dysfunction.  The mother can petition the courts to take custody of Rue.

Wouldn’t the mother figure out that Rue owes some drug dealer for the suitcase of drugs and that they are going to come looking for their payment?  

Rue could have a career in the police force based on her physical aptitude.  The drug use and criminal activity would probably preclude that though.  lol

Those were some pretty pitiful watchmen to not hear her escaping.  

Man, I’m sick of Rue and the drug storyline.  

Agree with everything you’re saying here

11 minutes ago, aghst said:

People always talk about women with daddy issues -- missing or emotionally-distant fathers.

Is that often the case, among sisters, only one of them, not necessarily all, will act out because she didn't have emotional affirmation from her father?

Why wouldn't it affect all sisters who grew up with literally or emotionally AWOL fathers?

No it wouldn’t or it’s possible it has but not in the same way.  Not everybody responds to things the same way. Like it’s possible Lexi is using the issues of her father leaving to be an overachiever and get her validation that way. 

Edited by dmc
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, vb68 said:

That was harrowing and very hard to watch, especially at the beginning, but damn Zendaya. That was some next level acting.

Just engrave her name into the trophy  now.  it won't be a contest.

I didn’t like the overacting when she was getting ready to steal at various places.   It was kind of silly. Otherwise she was good. 

8 minutes ago, Bluesky said:

I didn’t like the overacting when she was getting ready to steal at various places.   It was kind of silly. Otherwise she was good. 

I don’t like it when she looks into the camera and smiles like isn’t this funny……too fake and when she does it, she looks so much like Eddie Van Halen!  Too funny.  
Here around mar 1:20 you’ll see Eddie smile that way. He’s in a yellow and black jacket.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1

Rue is a violent, abusive manipulative addict deep in her addiction. At this point she’s willing to do and say almost anything to get people to let her be so she can get high. I don’t buy her “I miss my dad” excuse one bit. She’s an addict, she’s got the bug and addicts lie and steal.

Laurie is terrifying. She’s the only reason I am not fast forwarding through the Rue scenes at this point . Can’t stand the character or actress (maybe-I’ve never seen her in anything else).

Edited by DiabLOL
  • Like 1
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, aghst said:

It doesn't seem that they aren't doing as much with Gia to fully know her inner life. It also seems she doesn't have Rue's mania episodes. I think that coupled with watching her mom deal with Rue might stop from me as much of a "problem" child.

As for Lexi, she stated that she disassociates from situations, to the point she pretends her family isn't her family and her life is a show or a movie. Lexi actively withdraws and thinks of herself as an observer. She still blames herself for not speaking up when she noticed Rue's drug addiction before her first overdose. Even when she sought out Fez to try to warn him about Cal, she got flustered when she saw Faye and pretended she was their to get a drink. When Cal walked in, she couldn't speak up with a "Hi Mr.Jacobs" to alert Fez; Fez had to read her body language. Plus, Cassie got the label as "perfect" by their mom while Lexi is called "creepy" for her totally fun Halloween costume. It seems that she is overlooked as she presents as studious and plainer, when in reality she more Audrey Hepburn to her sister's Marilyn Monroe. She gave the friendly local drug dealer her phone number because he was the first person her age that took a genuine interest in her. 

My sister and I also dealt with our issues in completely different, unhealthy ways, even though we grew up in the same home. 

6 minutes ago, DiabLOL said:

Rue is a violent, abusive manipulative addict deep in her addiction. At this point she’s willing to do and say almost anything to get people to let her be so she can get high. I don’t buy her “I miss my dad” excuse one bit. She’s an addict, she’s got the bug and addicts lie and steal.

Laurie is terrifying. 

I half agree. She can both miss her dad and be an asshole. Rue even said she thinks she would be an addict even if her dad survived. In my past charity work, I meet dozens of kids that lost a parent, and none of them put their remaining family member what Rue is putting her loved ones through.  She can't even sit still to go to the hospital to deal with the withdrawal. I think losing her dad has triggered the events and is underlying, but I agree, it isn't an excuse. I think the impending reckoning with Laurie is what is causing her to lash out as their well meaning help has put her in serious danger, and again, this is her fault as she knew she was "too much of a fuck up" to handle the drug suitcase and was warned by Laurie that she would kidnap and sell her if she screwed her over.

• Love 5

Absolutely Zendaya's Emmy reel, and her win will be very deserving. Rue's drug addled spiral was brutal but very intense viewing. While I was hoping to get some fall out from the other plots, I can see why they wanted to focus on Rue, with her literally running through other subplots as she panics about the drugs while going through withdrawal as everything crashes down around her. 

I felt so bad for Gia. I was actually surprised that it was Jules who told Rue's mom that she relapsed, but it totally makes sense. Everyone is trying to help her (except for Laurie, who is terrifying) but she's the only one who can make that choice, and she doesn't seem to be there yet.

Its too bad Rue spends all of her time doing drugs, she would be a great addition to the track team. Imagine how fast she could run if she wasn't also going through withdrawals. 

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I like Zendaya, but was thinking that the Emmy would likely go to Dever, from Dopesick. Both play very addicted young women.  

Generally don't care about Emmys or Oscars.  I know it's important to the actors and also the production crews in various disciplines, probably helps them get jobs or more money.

While the performance is impressive, all the shouting and screaming are from the "A Few Good Men" school of acting, Nicholson and Cruise screaming at each other in the camera.  Nicholson is suppose to be a great actor right, so that screaming is just intensity!

But the Emmys and Oscars are not about subtlety or conveying emotions without showy gestures.

• Love 2

Zendaya was excellent. Her speech to Jules also cut to the bone. Hunter was a great scene partner in that. Imo Elliot's presence was not needed and only served to hasten the Jules/Elliot sex revelation betrayal. The runaway/stealing hi-jinx felt a little too (darkest version ever of) Ferris Bueller for my taste.

Can poor Gia please have something other to do than be abused by her sister?

The idea that dopesick Rue could slowly jog away from her mom just because a few teens ran up the stairs is silly. Neither mom thought to block the door? 

Day 583 of me not really caring about Cassie/Nate/Maddie. Why does Cassie get 70% of screen time? Poor Kat is a glorified extra at this point.

Why did the writers set up Lexi/Fez only to immediately abandon them?

21 hours ago, Marley said:

Its also obvious everyone will get naked on this show but Zendaya. Not that it matters but the show could make it less obvious.

Eh, to be fair, I believe Sydney Sweeney and Hunter Schaffer are the only actresses to be naked but yeah between this ep and the one where the drug dealers made everyone strip except Rue, it's clear that Zendaya has a no nudity clause. Which is fine but I remember when this show was first being cast, the breakdowns for every single regular said that nudity would be required.

Aside from this ep, I've been pretty underwhelmed by this season. Not sure what Sam Levinson is thinking with his sidelining of several characters this season.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, DiabLOL said:

Laurie is terrifying. She’s the only reason I am not fast forwarding through the Rue scenes at this point . Can’t stand the character or actress (maybe-I’ve never seen her in anything else).

I’ve seen the woman who plays Laurie a few times.  She was on the show called Baskets with the big comedian who died recently. The one with the space between his teeth?

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, DiabLOL said:

Absolutely agree her delivery of I miss my dad was manipulative

I’m sure she does miss him but her stating it then to her mother they way she did was manipulative 

It’s like the episode where she yells outside of fez’s house.  She will literally say anything to get what she wants 

Edited by dmc
  • Love 2

Unpopular opinion here, I am not impressed with Rue or the over the top antics.  I had to do a lot of hand waving during the "chase" scenes, cops not checking the only 2 trash bins, the numerous jumping off high places and not getting hurt (her holding her side with the little grimace as an afterthought does not count), sneaking out of a drug den where every male sleeps with a gun at their side, noisy birds and the multiple fumbling of keys.  I thought the mom's and the little sister's acting (sorry don't know their names) was better than Zendaya.  Her portrayal was more on par with a villain in a Lifetime movie - scream, cry, scream, look at the camera with grin repeat.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, mytmo said:

Unpopular opinion here, I am not impressed with Rue or the over the top antics.  I had to do a lot of hand waving during the "chase" scenes, cops not checking the only 2 trash bins, the numerous jumping off high places and not getting hurt (her holding her side with the little grimace as an afterthought does not count), sneaking out of a drug den where every male sleeps with a gun at their side, noisy birds and the multiple fumbling of keys.  I thought the mom's and the little sister's acting (sorry don't know their names) was better than Zendaya.  Her portrayal was more on par with a villain in a Lifetime movie - scream, cry, scream, look at the camera with grin repeat.

I totally agree with you.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Shorty186 said:

Aside from this ep, I've been pretty underwhelmed by this season. Not sure what Sam Levinson is thinking with his sidelining of several characters this season.

I seriously wonder what Barbie is thinking about the fact that she's getting sidelined while a freaking Dad is hogging up screentime this season.

• Love 7

This is a weird thing to focus on but does anyone else notice that most of the houses have this type of messy 1980’s decor? I know that not everyone has the money to keep up with trends but it seems to be purposeful.

It makes me feel like I am watching a show about Gen X instead of Gen Z. 

• Love 11
4 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I seriously wonder what Barbie is thinking about the fact that she's getting sidelined while a freaking Dad is hogging up screentime this season.

I think I read that Barbie and Sam had a falling out earlier in the season about her character arc so he basically minimized a lot of her screen time.

• Sad 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

This is a weird thing to focus on but does anyone else notice that most of the houses have this type of messy 1980’s decor? I know that not everyone has the money to keep up with trends but it seems to be purposeful.

It makes me feel like I am watching a show about Gen X instead of Gen Z. 

I noticed it.  It does remind me of most 80s movies (like the house on E.T. is so cluttered and dusty, it makes me anxious).  I figured it is a way to show that they are not well-off families.  Nate's house is updated.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

"A freaking dad" is making me crack up. Sam Levinson is pretty blatant about his favoritism. He likes Eric Dane. I don't think it's any deeper than that. No one was really asking for Cal to be fleshed out. No one likes Cal. The show isn't about Cal. But Sam likes Cal, so for some reason he gets the B-plot of this season.

Honestly, I think Barbie was cast for the tokenism of "the insecure big girl" and Sam either doesn't know what to do beyond that or isn't interested. Which is a shame, because she's a good actress. I thought she was great in S1. She's also fun to watch in Unpregnant

17 hours ago, Unclejosh said:

I think I read that Barbie and Sam had a falling out earlier in the season about her character arc so he basically minimized a lot of her screen time.

I read the same thing (in a YouTube comment, so big grain of salt lol). I'm with Barbie - it makes zero sense for her to spend the entire first season pining for Ethan and end on a super emotional declaration of love, only to be bored and embarrassed of him within the month in-show and spend the entire next season agonizing over dumping him...because he's too nice? Isn't that why she was attracted to him? I feel bad for Ethan's actor too. He's barely in the show now.

2 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

"A freaking dad" is making me crack up. Sam Levinson is pretty blatant about his favoritism. He likes Eric Dane. I don't think it's any deeper than that. No one was really asking for Cal to be fleshed out. No one likes Cal. The show isn't about Cal. But Sam likes Cal, so for some reason he gets the B-plot of this season.

Honestly, I think Barbie was cast for the tokenism of "the insecure big girl" and Sam either doesn't know what to do beyond that or isn't interested. Which is a shame, because she's a good actress. I thought she was great in S1. She's also fun to watch in Unpregnant

I read the same thing (in a YouTube comment, so big grain of salt lol). I'm with Barbie - it makes zero sense for her to spend the entire first season pining for Ethan and end on a super emotional declaration of love, only to be bored and embarrassed of him within the month in-show and spend the entire next season agonizing over dumping him...because he's too nice? Isn't that why she was attracted to him? I feel bad for Ethan's actor too. He's barely in the show now.

I liked the Cal story because it was different and pretty funny and sad and weird, what the show specializes in. It was a lot more interesting than watching Rue run through alleys and trip on stuff for 30 minutes.

I don't have a problem with the Kat and Ethan story. A lot of people want something and then when they get it they quickly realize it wasn't what they really wanted. The chase matters more for some people. I don't think showing Kat and Ethan being boring together would be a worthwhile way to spend time. It's also only been 5 episodes this season so far.

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, Nellise said:

I don't have a problem with the Kat and Ethan story. A lot of people want something and then when they get it they quickly realize it wasn't what they really wanted. The chase matters more for some people. I don't think showing Kat and Ethan being boring together would be a worthwhile way to spend time. It's also only been 5 episodes this season so far.

As my French teacher said at the end of a French coming of age film called "La Boum", sometimes you get with someone and then realize you didn't want them after all. That's what dating is. 

Spoiler

The movie is about a 13-year old girl who chases after this boy the entire movie. At the end, when she's dancing with him, she locks eyes with a different guy and decides to move on to the next guy. Because you know, she is 13, after all. LOL.

3 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I feel bad for Ethan's actor too. He's barely in the show now.

Austin Abrams has other projects going on so he's not too bad off.

44 minutes ago, Nellise said:

I liked the Cal story because it was different and pretty funny and sad and weird, what the show specializes in. It was a lot more interesting than watching Rue run through alleys and trip on stuff for 30 minutes.

This is kind of where the "unreliable narrator" thing kicks in, because as someone pointed out in the last episode thread, it's really pushing reality that any bar would let a guy wearing a head bandage and looking clearly dazed/confused in and serve him. You kinda wonder if Rue heard that Cal tried to get into a bar, and thought it would be funny if he actually got in and tried to dance with a son-aged dude.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Nellise said:

My problem with the Kat and Ethan story is that Kat has been marginalized. I think Lexi's play should have been more prominent and Kat could have been brought to help. Actively show Kat pulling away from Ethan more, besides the bowling. 

• Love 1
On 2/8/2022 at 9:34 AM, mytmo said:

I thought some was pretty good and some was overacting.  I hate chase scenes they are always unrealistic.  At the beginning of the chase she was in a back of the truck and the cops passed her and didn’t see her. Smart thing to do was lie there for an hour.  Save the time for the other characters who I like better. 

On 2/8/2022 at 2:42 PM, Unclejosh said:

Who are Barbie and Sam?  There’s a lot of characters 

8 hours ago, Nellise said:

That happens to most teens.  You get a boyfriend and it doesn’t work out.  Maybe the next one will.   His mother was a nasty woman 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I feel bad for Ethan's actor too. He's barely in the show now.

I love Austin Abrams, so this part really pisses me off. Was very disappointed when Netflix canceled "Dash & Lily." I was really hoping he'd be back on Europhia but not as basically a glorified extra.

And I guess I don't remember how last season ended because I thought Ethan and Kat hadn't gotten together officially. I remember her leaving him at a carnival when she saw him talking to a girl and her hooking up with a guy in a dressing room. This isn't the type of show I feel like rewatching either, so ...

Edited by Shorty186
  • Love 2
On 2/7/2022 at 10:49 AM, aghst said:

Because people are different. Different biology. Different personalities. Different vulnerabilities. Lexi strikes me a somebody who is coping with the chaos in her life by being the good kid, maybe a perfectionist over achiever, good at school because at least she’s getting some positive attention there. It looks like she’s succeeding but she’s every bit as damaged and suffering. I really saw this in a family I knew where both patents were alcoholics. The kids were all messed up in really different ways. One was Mr. Denial, happy go lucky, charming, everything is fine here, completely shut off from his emotions. One was Ms. Fixer, taking care of everybody else, cleaning up all the messes, smoothing things over. Her twin was the designated feck up, the one who got in trouble and was blamed for everything that went wrong.

• Love 3

Kat and Ethan are boring so I don’t care if I don’t see them. I was annoyed with Kats solo scenes when she was dreaming of getting banged by some guy.

Jules sucks I don’t buy ppl thinking she’s so great. What’s great about her? She’s a whiny needy jerk. 

Zendaya being Rue is kind of ruining her for me. I like Zendaya but you know they will never let anything really bad happen to Rue because she’s the star. 

• Love 2
On 2/7/2022 at 1:45 AM, Marley said:

I liked the episode cause Zendaya killed it but I also didn’t like the episode because the focus on just one person like this is not my favourite style.

Glad Elliot realized he was idiotic with everything.

I’m not a Jules fan but her just being there the whole time while Rue just went off the rails was good.

She did it to be a bitch but I’m glad Rue finally outed Cassie and Nate.

Yeah i don't have a problem with it but zendaya obviously has to them no nudity

Intense episode. Not sure why Maddie thinks she has a right to dictate who her ex sleeps with. 

• Love 1

Don't really care if zendaya gets an Emmy or not. 

I find it completely unrealistic though she'd escape creepy drug woman. She was totally kidnapping her to either sell her to some sex ring or force her to pimp herself out to pay her back. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 2/7/2022 at 3:37 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I like Zendaya, but was thinking that the Emmy would likely go to Dever, from Dopesick. Both play very addicted young women.  

I was thinking the same thing. The Emmy body awarded Zendaya too soon (in my opinion) by giving it to her last year. Doubtful they’d give it to her twice in a row. But anything can happen, although I think Zendaya has moments of great acting, she veers toward under or overacting too much. 

• Love 3
On 2/13/2022 at 10:40 PM, ShellsandCheese said:

I was thinking the same thing. The Emmy body awarded Zendaya too soon (in my opinion) by giving it to her last year. Doubtful they’d give it to her twice in a row. But anything can happen, although I think Zendaya has moments of great acting, she veers toward under or overacting too much. 

Dever would be in a different category because her show was a limited mini-series. So I wouldn't count Zendaya out, but there's still three months of t.v. shows coming out for this year.

It's crazy to me that there are people who are tired of Rue's storyline. Zendaya is absolutely electric in this role. I am rooting for the character and yet at the same time I am just captivated by watching her self destruct. I like the other characters, but I would watch The Rue Show for 8 straight episodes no problem.

• Love 3
On 2/7/2022 at 5:51 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Why does Cassie get 70% of screen time?

You have to ask?

As for Zendaya getting an Emmy... who else in what performance would she be up against?

I know Rue has some plot armor, but she slipped through the cracks on everybody

Her home

Lexi's house

The cops

Jumping across roofs and backyards

Escaping Laurie and her two armed henchmen

All while being so high.

• Love 1