Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Food Likes/Dislikes: Table for One

Bastet
  • Start Topic

Does anybody actually like v8??  It feels like drinking blood.

I always thought the same about warm milk as well.  V8 is one of the few food items that I think improves (taste-wise) with the lower-sodium version.  Not only is lower sodium better for you, but I think that version has less of a metallic taste to it.

Cucumbers: I've always disliked raw cucumbers unless they've been pickled to death or pulverized enough with enough spices to become dip. Oddly enough, I used to feel the same about tomatoes but have learned to like them raw in recent years but I can't imagine I'll do the same with cucumbers.

• Love 2

I have not been able to eat beef stroganoff since November 16, 1996.  Alcohol was involved.  I'm sure beef stroganoff-the real thing-is delicious.  Beef, mushroom, sour cream???  Normally all things I love.  

I hate bacon on sandwiches unless I have prepared it myself to make sure it is perfectly crisp, not floppy, cold, congealed grease ridden, etc.  The BLT is my favorite sandwich on earth, and I refuse to eat it outside of my home.

I'm not into burgers.  No, not even the amazing gourmet burger joint that will change my mind.  It won't.  I don't care if my American citizenship is revoked.  Also, I'm not ordering it less than well done if my only choice IS a burger.  I don't care if you judge me.  I'll eat a steak rare, but burgers need to be that perfect shade of gray or I'm not going near it.  This is one of many reasons why I wish pork burgers were better known outside of pig farmer/county fair circuits.  Pork burgers are great.  Beef burgers are not.  

I love cheese.  I love all of the cheeses, especially the ones that smell like a dead body.  Yes, please.  More please.  But I don't get the obsession with mac & cheese.  There's just something not quite right about it.  And please don't bake it and make crunchy, greasy noodles.  I'm gagging just thinking about it.

Ravioli and tortellini are disappointing, like, 95% of the time.  Not worth the risk if the filling sounds promising.  It probably isn't.

I heartily dislike salmon, catfish, and tilapia.  I'm pretty sure it's because they're mostly farmed, and, in the case of tilapia and catfish, they're bottom feeders so they taste muddy and dirty to me.  I'll eat salmon if it's smothered in some kind of dilly sour cream sauce or overly glazed with some Asian style sweet sauce. 

French toast is disgusting.  It's like a wet, soggy waffle.  No thank you, I'll just have that deliciously crispy waffle instead.

Deli meats.  I mean, ???????  (Exceptions:  Mortadella (no, I don't know why Italian bologna tastes better than regular bologna), gourmet salami, pastrami)  Whoever invented turkey pastrami has a special place in hell reserved for them.

I don't like dungeness crab.  It's too...crabby?  I'm not sure how to describe what I dislike about it, but overly crabby is what I keep coming back to.

Pecan pie.  Because I like my pancreas and want it to last longer. 

• Love 1
On 9/14/2016 at 10:24 PM, larapu2000 said:

I have not been able to eat beef stroganoff since November 16, 1996.  Alcohol was involved.

Hee!  A few years earlier there was a similar incident with my college roommate Alfie. From that point on, when that meal was served we called it Beef Stroganalf.  

Coming up with that was one of my finer moments. 

• Love 3
On 9/14/2016 at 9:24 PM, larapu2000 said:

I have not been able to eat beef stroganoff since November 16, 1996.  Alcohol was involved.  I'm sure beef stroganoff-the real thing-is delicious.  Beef, mushroom, sour cream???  Normally all things I love. 

There would have to be alcohol involved before I would eat stroganoff.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Not sure this happened to anyone else but around the turn of the last century, one of my great-grandmother's ate a big helping of meatballs right before she was set to sail across the Atlantic and immigrate to our nation. Alas, said meatballs have her such violent food poisoning that she almost died and she wasn't sure she could make the boat- and for the rest of her life she absolutely refused to eat another meatball. No, I never  got to meet her but this became family folklore and my father whom she'd live to raise often told that story.

• Love 1
(edited)

Chocolate. I hate chocolate.

Ben n Jerry's. Too much crap in their ice cream and they seem to have chocolate in everything.

Maraschino and candied cherries and artificial cherry flavored everything.

Papayas

Tabasco

Boiled peanuts

Phillipino dishes that have a lot of vinegar in them. Love pancit, crispy pata, lechon, and turon but not the soured dishes.

Edited by Giselle

I hate Oreos.

They taste awful!!!!! Like super weird and not what I expect at all. 

Marshmallows

Plums and prunes and apricot jam.

@Giselle I hate fake cherries too and preserved cherries! Fresh cherries I love. 

I have a complicated relationship with chocolate that's hard to explain. 

Lentils, chickpeas, beans. Kidlet has never had baked beans because we just don't do legumes and lentils in this house. 

Jaffa flavour - do you guys have this or is it an Aussie monstrosity?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Lentils, chickpeas, beans. Kidlet has never had baked beans because we just don't do legumes and lentils in this house. 

My kind of place.  I have never met a bean I didn't hate. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Olives. They taste like soap to me. Olive oil is fine. Never read anything about it being a genetic thing like cilantro. Cilantro tastes fine to me.

Interesting. All olives? I find they vary a lot in taste though I suppose if you think they taste like soap you might not have wanted to experiment in tasting different varieties.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Interesting. All olives? I find they vary a lot in taste though I suppose if you think they taste like soap you might not have wanted to experiment in tasting different varieties.

Doesn't matter what kind of olive - they all taste like soap.

I always hated olives until I visited my brother in Italy and had some.  I'm a convert!  I suggest olive-haters go to Italy and try them because everything tastes better there!!  And if that doesn't work, at least you're in Italy :-)

• Love 8

I love maraschino cherries from the nice crisp ones you can buy at the store and put in cocktails to the squishy ones in "extra cherry" fruit cocktail and found at Baskin Robbins. And no, they are not soaked in bleach or formaldehyde. I do have a sensitivity to red dye so I don't eat them often.

Food classified as "Indian food", except for some Marsala is nasty. It's several spices used in it. So is curry. I haven't met a curry I'll eat and I've tried a lot.

V8 is gross, bring on straight tomato juice, with lemon. I prefer it room temperature while flying but cold or over ice at home.

39 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I always hated olives until I visited my brother in Italy and had some.  I'm a convert!  I suggest olive-haters go to Italy and try them because everything tastes better there!!  And if that doesn't work, at least you're in Italy :-)

We just got back from Italy, and my husband had pizza that had olives on it. I had a piece that I took the olives off, but missed a tiny piece - same result -tasted like soap.

(edited)

I've never had a Slurpy or an Icee, whateveryou call it. I don't know if I would like it or not but am leaning toward probably not. I don't even want to try it.

On 7/6/2017 at 6:43 AM, Mellowyellow said:

I hate Oreos.

They taste awful!!!!! Like super weird and not what I expect at all. 

Marshmallows

Plums and prunes and apricot jam.

@Giselle I hate fake cherries too and preserved cherries! Fresh cherries I love. 

I have a complicated relationship with chocolate that's hard to explain. 

Jaffa flavour - do you guys have this or is it an Aussie monstrosity?

I like the Oreo cookie part but not the sugary lard like filling.

What is Jaffa flavor?

Edited by Giselle
2 hours ago, Giselle said:

I've never had a Slurpy or an Icee, whateveryou call it. I don't know if I would like it or not but am leaning toward probably not. I don't even want to try it.

I like the Oreo cookie part but not the sugary lard like filling.

What is Jaffa flavor?

I heard that Oreos are vegan ?

Explains a lot!

Jaffa is an awful combo of chocolate with orange flavour! So foul! And I like orange by itself!

Is slurpy the icy coloured drink? If yes you're not missing out on much!

11 hours ago, Giselle said:

I've never had a Slurpy or an Icee, whateveryou call it.

I don't like them simply because of the texture.  I won't drink blended cocktails for the same reason.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't like them simply because of the texture.  I won't drink blended cocktails for the same reason.

My teeth were sensitive to cold when I was a kid so they never appealed to me because of the cold factor. Plus I've always hated the flavor of punch and that is what I figured they tasted like.

11 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Explains a lot!

Jaffa is an awful combo of chocolate with orange flavour! So foul! And I like orange by itself!

I wonder when they changed.

Ick I hate chocolate, but I hate chocolate and fruit together even more.

Yes, some convenience stores have their own names for them.

Icees are best when they are Coca-Cola flavor. At least they used to be. I haven't had one in years. There used to be an Icee stand at the church camp we went to every summer. I don't think I've had once since I last went to camp in college. I don't even know if they still have Icees there.

• Love 4
On 7/19/2017 at 4:39 AM, Mellowyellow said:

Explains a lot!

The ex loved Jaffa cakes when we lived in Scotland. He also ate a lot of canned haggis so I know he had no taste! (kidding to those who love haggis. I've eaten it a few times. Just nothing I care for.)

• Love 2
On 7/19/2017 at 5:30 PM, auntlada said:

Icees are best when they are Coca-Cola flavor. At least they used to be. I haven't had one in years. There used to be an Icee stand at the church camp we went to every summer. I don't think I've had once since I last went to camp in college. I don't even know if they still have Icees there.

I can't handle the sugar anymore but if I could, I'll only drink Coke Slurpees from 7-11 and Blue Raspberry branded Icees. The Coke Icees don't taste the same as Slurpee and blue raspberry Slurpee doesn't taste as good as Icee.

(edited)

Brussels Sprouts - oh the horror, the horror!!

When I was a kid my parents would serve a really nice Sunday dinner - normally roast chicken or beef etc, with all the trimmings. But because they knew I didn't like sprouts they would be sneaky and try to hide them under the cabbage or potatoes, thinking that I wouldn't notice!!

But I didn't need to see them to know they were there; that familiar odour that was usually a signal for my stomach to want to empty PDQ. But my parents would say "Eat your sprouts, they're good for you!" (what was interesting about those conversations, was the pure hypocrisy of it all because on closer inspection I noticed my mother didn't have parsnips on her dinner plate, while everyone else did. So when I replied by saying "But you don't like parsnips!", the default adult response was "Shut up, don't be cheeky, and eat your dinner up. Now!")

I still hate and detest sprouts. Can't quite put my finger on exactly why because I do like most other vegetable. But sprouts should be banned under the Geneva Convention. Even writing about it just makes me want to heave! 

Edited by Only Zola
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Only Zola said:

Brussels Sprouts - oh the horror, the horror!!

That's sad to hear. I've had a lot of ppl State that they hate them. No wonder as their parents boiled the crap out of them and they were soggy and mushy. I roast mine and have converted many friends from haters into lovers. Still, I get that we all have different palates. I personally think quelle horror for liver. Even the smell. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

That's sad to hear. I've had a lot of ppl State that they hate them. No wonder as their parents boiled the crap out of them and they were soggy and mushy. I roast mine and have converted many friends from haters into lovers. Still, I get that we all have different palates. I personally think quelle horror for liver. Even the smell. 

Hating Brussels sprouts is not exactly uncommon for exactly that boiling reason. Hating Liver is also not a table for one either. Heh.

I have two ways of making Brussels sprouts. I have one way where I cut them thinly so they are essentially shredded, and stir fry them with the key being a hit of vinegar at the end. I need to do that again, because it's been so long I forgot the recipe. The other way is just tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper and some garlic cloves perfuming the whole thing.

Because both of those come out fantastic, both of my children have loved that particular vegetable since they were in preschool. They each hate much less challenging foods for reasons I can't explain.

• Love 3

Well, I don't think I'll ever like them for emotional reasons. Due to health and family reasons, we had to start having Thanksgiving at a restaurant a couple of years ago and I wanted to keep it traditional so I ordered turkey and butternut squash. Turns out they ran out of squash and thought it would be okay to just substitute Brussels sprouts. They were awful and spoiled the whole plate. I was really upset that they couldn't be bothered to ask me what I wanted and couldn't eat. (It was just a tough day all around.) By the time the waitress came around to check on us, everybody else had nearly finished their plate so it was pointless to get something else. They boxed up my meal, charged me in full including for the dessert they offered to make up for it and when I got home I found the cursed sprouts mashed into the rest of the leftovers.

Waaahhhh.

• Love 2
(edited)

Dress/cook/coat/shred a Brussels Sprout any way you want, but it will never EVER touch my lips/fork/plate/house/street. 

They are Satan's poo! lol

Edited by Only Zola
  • Love 1

@Qoass Indeed that does sound like a very very terrible bad day...especially for a holiday when you went out to eat so everyone would be happy. Those rats. They knew you didn't want the sprouts yet included them in your doggie bag. Shame on them for charging you for the desert that they offered as compensation. Let's hope that this year is much better. 

Thanks, @Mindthinkr. I'd like to think I'm not too high maintenance but that experience made me feel so demeaned that it burns me to this day. Worse, I wrote a letter to the restaurant detailing how awful it was and I got a form letter back saying they'd pass my comments on to management. The following year, I recommended we get together the weekend before the holiday (fewer other families, less traffic) and I picked the restaurant. It was much better. I don't think anybody got Brussel sprouts.

• Love 1

You're welcome @Qoass  

I once had an equally bad (IMO) experience where the management just fluffed it off. We were at a high ($$$) end steak house and the gentlemen (using that term loosely) were drinking heavily and swearing etc. up a storm in the booth behind us. We complained. Mgt stated they were cutting them off. Well they didn't and they called us two friends (both ladies) the see you next Tuesday word. Others showed their horror because they were annoyed and heard their comments as well. Mgt stated they'd follow up on it (of course like your experience they didn't) and I've never gone back there. 

Sadly this stuff happens and ppl are so immune to bad manners and behavior that this type of stuff is allowed to slide. 

Especially when they are celebrities or high rollers. 

Good for you for being proactive and finding somewhere different to go the next year and have a BS free dinner! (BS as in Brussels Sprouts or Bull Sh#t...take your pick lol) 

• Love 1

Okay, after this post I'll stop hijacking the thread and return you to your regularly scheduled topic. I went to Yelp to see if anybody agreed with me and it turned out that there were a few five star tongue baths and the rest were all rants about the bad food and rotten service, particularly around the holidays. The place closed permanently in May and is being replaced by an Au Bon Pain.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Qoass said:

Well, I don't think I'll ever like them for emotional reasons.

That description of your experience left a bitter taste in MY mouth. I'm glad it's an Au Bon Pain now.

• Love 1
Just now, ennui said:

I like Brussels Sprouts, especially the stalks from Trader Joe's. I guess I'll be sitting alone at my table.

Oh no. You can sit at mine. I'm happy to slide over and share. I haven't ever really had a vegetable that I don't like although I dislike how some are prepared. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Only Zola said:

Dress/cook/coat/shred a Brussels Sprout any way you want, but it will never EVER touch my lips/fork/plate/house/street. 

They are Satan's poo! lol

People actually like Brussels sprouts?  I thought most people had that on the #dislike pile (except for me)?

• Love 1

I love Brussels sprouts and eat them at least once a week. 

My mom doesn't dislike them (in which case it wouldn't matter how they were prepared, she simply wouldn't like them), but isn't overly fond of them, so when I make them for my parents I usually roast them with some pancetta or bacon and then drizzle on a little balsamic vinegar before serving.  Then she enjoys them.  (My dad likes them any which way, including boiled, but I cannot stand boiled vegetables, period.)

There's also a Brussels sprouts and walnuts dish I make for guests sometimes, because it has so much stuff in it besides the sprouts; she loves that one, and even my uncle - who doesn't enjoy them any other way - likes it and had my aunt (who does all their cooking) get the recipe.  It's not going to be tasty to someone who hates the main ingredient, obviously, but it's good for people like my mom who like them if they're doctored up, but only if they're doctored up.  I've had quite a few people ask for the recipe after eating it, usually because of a scenario like my aunt and uncle -- they got home and their partner said, "You know, if we ate them that way, I'd eat Brussels sprouts more often."

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Oh no. You can sit at mine. I'm happy to slide over and share. I haven't ever really had a vegetable that I don't like although I dislike how some are prepared. 

Me too!  Although, I do not like cucumbers.  For years, I thought I liked cucumbers, because, why WOULDN'T I like cucumbers?  But after every party, the cucumbers from the crudite remained uneaten as I devoured the rest of the leftovers.  I just never had an urge to eat them.  I never pick them up on a salad bar.  Then one day, a coworker said, "I don't like cucumbers," and it just dawned on me.  NEITHER DO I.  Now, to be even more confusing, I love tzatziki, I think cucumber water is perfectly fine, and pickled cucumbers are absolute LIFE for me.  But raw, fresh cucumbers?  Nope.  

I didn't really care for beets as a kid, and I still don't like boiled beets in a can, I prefer them roasted.  There's a brand they're selling in the produce section now that come in a sauce.  The sweet heat are the best.

• Love 1

I don't like "regular" cucumbers.  I like Persian cucumbers, Armenian cucumbers, and English (hot house) cucumbers, but the other ones are the iceberg lettuce of cucumbers -- mildly flavored water.  Grown in someone's garden, they'll do, but the grocery store ones?  Forget it.

• Love 2