Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Food Likes/Dislikes: Table for One

Bastet
  • Start Topic

I attended a wedding, the only good one I have EVER attended.  Poached salmon, noodle kugel (never had one this good), roast beef and tons more.  The buffet was beyond excellent.  They rolled out a cake to have the cutting/feeding ritual and it disappeared.  Waiters brought trays of assorted pastries to each table that were FABULOUS!  It was clearly a nicely decorated cardboard cake with a small area in the bottom layer to cut.  Loved that idea.  They probably have those to rent.  It looked beautiful, you would never know. 

It was a Jewish wedding and I have vowed never to attend a Christian or other wedding again.  They know how to do it.  First there is cocktail time and hors d'ouvres were passed by waiters on sliver trays, then the brief ceremony outside.  When finished we went back into the same room that had been transformed into the dinning room.  The venue was beautiful, too.  THAT is the way to do them.  Usually the guests are tortured with lots of waiting time and horrible sit down diners (why do people do that?) and lousy cake.  

My husband is Jewish and I'm "technically" Catholic but was educated Anglican (Episcopalian).  My DH said that we "had" to have a sit-down dinner because that's what his family expects (I'm Chinese and kind of gets what he's trying to say)!   We married at a yacht club and our package included hors d'oeuvres post-ceremony and a three course meal (paid extra to have a fish option in addition to meat and vegetarian) and we also added a dessert table.  Opted NOT to have a Chinese banquet - most people in my generation opt not to, anyway.  If I had to choose, I would have gone with food stations/cocktail supper.  The venue didn't have that option if we wanted grats to be included.

My husband is Jewish and I'm "technically" Catholic but was educated Anglican (Episcopalian).  My DH said that we "had" to have a sit-down dinner because that's what his family expects (I'm Chinese and kind of gets what he's trying to say)!   We married at a yacht club and our package included hors d'oeuvres post-ceremony and a three course meal (paid extra to have a fish option in addition to meat and vegetarian) and we also added a dessert table.  Opted NOT to have a Chinese banquet - most people in my generation opt not to, anyway.  If I had to choose, I would have gone with food stations/cocktail supper.  The venue didn't have that option if we wanted grats to be included.

What are grats? Gratuities?  If so, you could not leave a tip?  

What are grats? Gratuities?  If so, you could not leave a tip?  

Wedding packages include tip/gratuities and anything outside of the packages ended up more expensive based on a la carte menus (whether it was food stations, buffet or sitdown).  The package included alcohol, hors d'oeuvres and the midnight table (we opted for dessert only).

Edited by PRgal

Not sure this is an unpopular food, but I see this being sold everywhere in food courtyards.

Bubble Tea. Tea alone is disgusting, but then adding these little slimy balls of tapioca into the drink? Truly vile.

Do I have to turn in my "Asian card" because I, too, find bubble tea vile?

• Love 1

Apparently you will need to hang your head in shame *grin*, because I see so many Asian girls drinking Bubble tea everytime I'm at the mall. Insane. And yeah, you are supposed to eat the tapioca, but the only time I tried Bubble tea, the balls were a weird slimy something texture. I think I took two sips of the drink and tossed the rest. *shudder* Doesn't anyone choke on the tapioca??

Another big food that I can live without - rice. I don't mind rice, but if I had to choose a starch, that would be the last on my list. I would rather have quinoa or pasta noodles or sweet potato mash or root mash or regular potatoes. Rice is blah to me, however one tries to doctor it up.

And chunky potatoes - blah. Potato chips I love to death. Mashed potatoes and shredded crispy potatoes are awesome, but if say a french fry is thick cut, or potatoes that are cut too big are roasted or are in a chowder, I don't like them. Potatoes need that crispy crust. Clam chowders always have potatoes in them and for me, ruins the soup. I just pick them out.

I didn't think to list it because it's not a dislike but instead a "no, thanks," but I'm not a big rice eater, either.  I'll eat it with curry in order not to waste all that soupy sauce, but as a random side dish, bed for stir fry, etc. -- pass. 

I'm not a fan of starchy sides in general.  I don't like potatoes other than as crispy French fries or chips, and I don't like sweet potatoes in any form.  Quinoa is perfectly tasty if someone serves it to me, but I'm never going to choose to add it to a meal on my own.  Noodles, great, but in soup or as a main pasta dish; as a side, they're just filler to me.  Garlic bread with certain soups and brown 'n' serve rolls for Thanksgiving (an odd yet strong craving), but otherwise bread is just for sandwiches.

I had some oral surgery the other day, so I've been on a soft foods diet.  Basically, all the jello, yogurt, and applesauce I can choke down. Also ice cream, so it's not all bad  For breakfast yesterday, I decided to make oatmeal.  I never eat oatmeal....and now I remember why.

Dear lord, the texture is awful. Blech. I even added a ton of milk so it wouldn't be a gloopy mess. Still gross.  I should've planned ahead and bought farina. 

Edited by janestclair

Scrambled eggs slide down nicely after dental surgery. Also: chicken and stars soup, and mashed potatoes (preferably picked up fom KFC or Boston Market, because who needs the fuss when you're feeling yucky?).

• Love 1

Scrambled eggs slide down nicely after dental surgery. Also: chicken and stars soup, and mashed potatoes (preferably picked up fom KFC or Boston Market, because who needs the fuss when you're feeling yucky?).

Wow I had no idea there was still such a place as Boston Market. They all shut down in my area years ago.

Mashed potatoes in the supermarket are very good, much better than KFC!  They are real potatoes.  Robert Evans or Simply Real (something like that).  

I like oatmeal if it is the long cooking steel cut oats.  Delicious with butter, brown sugar and milk.  YUM!  

Wow I had no idea there was still such a place as Boston Market. They all shut down in my area years ago.

MacDonalds bought them out and they are not as good as they used to be.  No, let me correct that, it is terrible!

I had my wisdom teeth out 14 years ago, when Boston Market was still a) relevant, and b) good ;)

I find bubble tea delicious!  We could trade, I'll take your "Asian card", you can have my "Scotch-Irish German card"? ;)

Edited by EllieH

Apparently you will need to hang your head in shame *grin*, because I see so many Asian girls drinking Bubble tea everytime I'm at the mall. Insane. And yeah, you are supposed to eat the tapioca, but the only time I tried Bubble tea, the balls were a weird slimy something texture. I think I took two sips of the drink and tossed the rest. *shudder* Doesn't anyone choke on the tapioca??

Another big food that I can live without - rice. I don't mind rice, but if I had to choose a starch, that would be the last on my list. I would rather have quinoa or pasta noodles or sweet potato mash or root mash or regular potatoes. Rice is blah to me, however one tries to doctor it up.

And chunky potatoes - blah. Potato chips I love to death. Mashed potatoes and shredded crispy potatoes are awesome, but if say a french fry is thick cut, or potatoes that are cut too big are roasted or are in a chowder, I don't like them. Potatoes need that crispy crust. Clam chowders always have potatoes in them and for me, ruins the soup. I just pick them out.

LOL...I prefer coffee of some sort.  I'm not that big a fan of rice, either (ate it too much growing up).  I make quinoa at least once a week, and recently started making cauliflower "rice" (chop cauliflower into smaller pieces, throw it into the food processor for five or six pulses and then cook it with a bit of broth and black pepper if you want something plainer.  Add other spices/herbs if you want to doctor it up a bit) as a side.  I also like spelt and farro.

• Love 1

LOL...I prefer coffee of some sort.  I'm not that big a fan of rice, either (ate it too much growing up).  I make quinoa at least once a week, and recently started making cauliflower "rice" (chop cauliflower into smaller pieces, throw it into the food processor for five or six pulses and then cook it with a bit of broth and black pepper if you want something plainer.  Add other spices/herbs if you want to doctor it up a bit) as a side.  I also like spelt and farro.

Cauliflower is versatile.  After chopping in the food processor to make the "rice," mix it with enough egg to just hold it together and add onion and feta or parm.  This makes a pancake batter.  I don't use any flour but you could to tighten it up a bit but really not necessary if you are limiting carbs.  They are mock potato pancakes and delicious with sour cream.    

• Love 3

Cauliflower is versatile.  After chopping in the food processor to make the "rice," mix it with enough egg to just hold it together and add onion and feta or parm.  This makes a pancake batter.  I don't use any flour but you could to tighten it up a bit but really not necessary if you are limiting carbs.  They are mock potato pancakes and delicious with sour cream.    

How much egg to cups of cauliflower?

How much egg to cups of cauliflower?

I just eyeball it. I put the cauliflower in a bowl and push it to one side.  I add several eggs (maybe 4) and scramble them on the side.  When I mix it I might add another egg.  What you want is mostly cauliflower.  If you have too many eggs the pancakes will flatten out and become a flat omelet.  The "batter" looks like a potato pancake batter if you have ever made them.  You need to flatten them out, a bit, with a spatula one you place them on the griddle.  

ETA: Try this first with a couple of them.  If you want them a little stiffer I sometimes add some almond or coconut four, a Tbs or 2.  

Edited by wings707

I hate pepper.  What a vile tasting spice.  I leave it out of recipes and tell my family they can add it on their own once it's served.  If I'm at a restaurant, I'll ask if a dish is heavy on the pepper before I order it (I can stomach a small amount of it, but if it's too heavy, forget it).

Basil and Oregano. I know, staple spices of Italian food - and I love Italian food - but if a prepared tomato sauce has oregano in it - yuk. If I make sauce, marjoram enhances tomatos really nicely. Same with basil. Love caprese salad, but without the basil. Blech.

Indian curry. Whatever the Americanized version of that powder - the smell makes me ill. Thai curry (red or green), love it. Have made coconut curry dishes that are fabulous, but something about commercialized Indian curry powder. Maybe it's one or two specific spices in that blend that doesn't appear in Thai curry blends, but either way, just no.

I hate black pepper too. If that's the major spice in something - just no.

And as for basil, I find that I like the taste of it but I don't like to eat the actual basil leaf. Too licorice-y. So I'll use basil to flavor something and then pick it out.

I'm pretty picky though I've gotten a lot better in the last few years. I hate/dislike:

Curry: I can't stand the smell or the taste, but mainly the smell. If I forced to go to an Indian restaurant, I always leave hungry. I know it isn't in everything but the whole place just reeks of it.

eggs: I'll eat them if they are baked (cookies, cake). I will eat an omelet or Quiche if it has other things to hide the taste, mainly cheese.

salmon: I don't like the texture or the taste.

tuna/shrimp: I don't like them cold, though I'll eat both if mixed in a hot dish such as pasta.

Ketchup: Gross. I don't want it anywhere near my fries or burger. I do however, like tomatoes.

Beer: I tried... but I can't bring myself to like it. I order something else at a bar, even if they aren't known for it.

Honorable mention:

Pinapple: Mainly because when ever I eat it my throat itches and I start coughing. Maybe I'm allergic to it.

Edited by blueray

eggs: I'll eat them if they are baked (cookies, cake).

Eggs are the food of the devil.  They exist only so I can bake cookies. I can't even sit at a table with someone who is eating an egg in any form, the smell is so nauseating.  I don't go out for brunch.

• Love 1

I'm pretty picky though I've gotten a lot better in the last few years. I hate/dislike:

Curry: I can't stand the smell or the taste, but mainly the smell. If I forced to go to an Indian restaurant, I always leave hungry. I know it isn't in everything but the whole place just reeks of it.

eggs: I'll eat them if they are baked (cookies, cake). I will eat an omelet or Quiche if it has other things to hide the taste, mainly cheese.

salmon: I don't like the texture or the taste.

tuna/shrimp: I don't like them cold, though I'll eat both if mixed in a hot dish such as pasta.

Ketchup: Gross. I don't want it anywhere near my fries or burger. I do however, like tomatoes.

Beer: I tried... but I can't bring myself to like it. I order something else at a bar, even if they aren't known for it.

Honorable mention:

Pinapple: Mainly because when ever I eat it my throat itches and I start coughing. Maybe I'm allergic to it.

I'm not a fan of beer either.  But I like it more than overly sugary cocktails.  I was at a trendy restaurant recently and decided to try one of their "signature" cocktails.  WORST. MISTAKE. EVER.  It tasted like soap!  Maybe I'm just getting old at 35.  My husband's beer was better.  I think I'm going to stick with true classics like gin and tonic or...wine.

But I like it more than overly sugary cocktails.

There are some sweet cocktails I'll get the occasional hankering for - e.g. Georgia Peach, Midori or Amaretto Sour, Brandy Alexander - but I only want one of them.  After that, bring me a dry martini, whiskey, gin & tonic, etc.  I love mojitos, but generally only drink them at home; ordering them in most bars/restaurants results in something too heavy on the sugar.

• Love 1

I like oatmeal. There, I said it. But I'm not talking about that Cream of Wheat nonsense. I mean the stuff that looks like someone took actual grain and milled it. The Quaker Oats that comes in the cardboard tube container would be an example, although there are better brands available. I usually drizzle a little honey on top, then add some raisins. NO MILK.

Eggs are the food of the devil. They exist only so I can bake cookies. I can't even sit at a table with someone who is eating an egg in any form, the smell is so nauseating. I don't go out for brunch.

I'll sit at this table. It's not the entire egg I object to; it's the yolk that's the satanic part. If you give me a boiled egg, I'll eat the white. Likewise I've found that an awful lot of recipes that call for eggs work just as well if you don't use the yolks and increase the amount of whites accordingly.

I like oatmeal. There, I said it.

I'll admit, the first time I made a bowl of oatmeal (steel cut oats), I figured I'd rather die early than endure eating it to reap the nutritional rewards.  But it quickly grew on me and is now a staple breakfast (I don't add anything to it).

I like oatmeal. There, I said it. But I'm not talking about that Cream of Wheat nonsense. I mean the stuff that looks like someone took actual grain and milled it. The Quaker Oats that comes in the cardboard tube container would be an example, although there are better brands available. I usually drizzle a little honey on top, then add some raisins. NO MILK.

I love oatmeal.  I grew up eating it and it's still a yummy comfort food.  However, I admit it's probably not the most nutritious kind; Quaker Oats' Maple and Brown Sugar.  I know there's no actual maple syrup or brown sugar in it.  I'm trying to find new ways to sweeten plain oatmeal to make it more palatable.

But I disagree on the preparation.  I make mine with milk, cinnamon, and a little butter.  I can use water if milk isn't available, but milk gives it this wonderful, creamy consistency.  But no raisins under any circumstances, because I hate those.

Dislikes: spaghetti.  Probably because it was a staple in my house for years, so I no longer have a taste for it.  But I love any other kind of pasta.  I'll eat penne, bowtie, lasagna, orzo, angel hair, linguine, etc.  I'll eat spaghetti if it's the only option, but I don't crave it in the slightest.

I love oatmeal.  I grew up eating it and it's still a yummy comfort food.  However, I admit it's probably not the most nutritious kind; Quaker Oats' Maple and Brown Sugar.  I know there's no actual maple syrup or brown sugar in it.  I'm trying to find new ways to sweeten plain oatmeal to make it more palatable.

But I disagree on the preparation.  I make mine with milk, cinnamon, and a little butter.  I can use water if milk isn't available, but milk gives it this wonderful, creamy consistency.  But no raisins under any circumstances, because I hate those.

Dislikes: spaghetti.  Probably because it was a staple in my house for years, so I no longer have a taste for it.  But I love any other kind of pasta.  I'll eat penne, bowtie, lasagna, orzo, angel hair, linguine, etc.  I'll eat spaghetti if it's the only option, but I don't crave it in the slightest.

If you like maple and brown sugar, there's always REAL maple syrup and brown sugar! :)  I make my oatmeal overnight in a slow cooker with an external timer, so it won't turn on until a specified time overnight (usually I cook half of it early, maybe 1-3 in the morning and the remaining between, say, 6-8, so it'll be piping hot when I get up).

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 1

Coffee is repulsive.  The smell makes me sick to my stomach.  And I hate the fact that in every office I have ever worked in, people just assume it is okay to make everyone else smell it.  I mean, can't they drink the nasty stuff before they get there?  

And mayonnaise is disgusting on it's own.  It is only acceptable for use in recipes where you can no longer taste or smell it.

Red velvet cake -   it's chocolate cake, with buttermilk added, and RED FOOD COLORING!  Yes, the cream cheese frosting is delicious.  I work with a bunch of people who think this is the be-all and end-all of cakes.  Any birthday celebration, or new employee, retirement, anything that includes dessert, they all go nuts over getting a red velvet cake (from the grocery store)  to celebrate.  

Whatever.   

Some red food coloring is made from petroleum, some is made from BEETLES.  Yeah, crushed beetle parts. 

Yet, people think that the chocolate  cake made with red beetle-dye tastes better than chocolate cake which is just brown. Can we have a blind-fold test?  

It's not that I don't believe that it's good.  After all, it is CAKE.   But I've had allergies to red dye, so I avoid it.   I'm just annoyed at the group mentality that says that this is the best kind of cake.  

• Love 1
Red velvet cake -   it's chocolate cake, with buttermilk added, and RED FOOD COLORING!

There isn't even that much chocolate. I bet if your red velvet cake-crazed co-workers ate a piece blindfolded, they would never know what it was. As you say, no cake is all bad, but I don't get the red velvet love either. It's not just red anymore, either--it's branched out into green velvet, blue velvet, black velvet, pink velvet, all with plenty of food coloring. The beetle parts don't scare me as much as the petroleum, but you can probably find all natural vegetable dyes if you try.

Yet, people think that the chocolate  cake made with red beetle-dye tastes better than chocolate cake which is just brown. Can we have a blind-fold test?

Red beetle-dye.  Oh yum.  This will probably horrify everyone south of the Mason-Dixon line but..................... I've never had red velvet cake.  I honestly don't recall ever even seeing one.  I don't suppose beetle-dye is any worse than a lot of other food additives but it doesn't really make me want to go out and hunt the cake down.

Red velvet cake -   it's chocolate cake, with buttermilk added, and RED FOOD COLORING!  Yes, the cream cheese frosting is delicious.  I work with a bunch of people who think this is the be-all and end-all of cakes.  Any birthday celebration, or new employee, retirement, anything that includes dessert, they all go nuts over getting a red velvet cake (from the grocery store)  to celebrate.  

Whatever.   

Some red food coloring is made from petroleum, some is made from BEETLES.  Yeah, crushed beetle parts. 

Yet, people think that the chocolate  cake made with red beetle-dye tastes better than chocolate cake which is just brown. Can we have a blind-fold test?  

It's not that I don't believe that it's good.  After all, it is CAKE.   But I've had allergies to red dye, so I avoid it.   I'm just annoyed at the group mentality that says that this is the best kind of cake.  

You can also use pureed beets to get the colouring. 

Here's a recipe: http://bakecakery.com/2011/03/16/red-velvet-cake-with-beets/

I have never understood red velvet cake, what flavor is it? It's not chocolate flavored, is it red velvet flavored? It just tastes generically sweet to me. I don't understand why so many people love the flavor.

• Love 1

I have never understood red velvet cake, what flavor is it? It's not chocolate flavored, is it red velvet flavored? It just tastes generically sweet to me. I don't understand why so many people love the flavor.

It's usually served with cream cheese frosting.  I think that people who LOVE red velvet cake actually love cream cheese frosting.   

• Love 5

Like a lot of people I was a picky eater when I was younger but came around on a lot of things in early adulthood.

The stuff I have left on my "won't eat/drink" list is:

Pickles, or anything that has pickles in it with that nasty pickle taste

Miracle Whip, and I hate when people call it mayo because IT'S NOT, MAYO IS DELICIOUS

Beer - tried a couple of times, just never acquired that taste

It's usually served with cream cheese frosting.  I think that people who LOVE red velvet cake actually love cream cheese frosting.   

I agree, so I put the cream cheese frosting on carrot cake (which is probably on a lot of unpopular food lists, but not mine).  I just don't get the Red Velvet thing - but I guess that's been discussed. 

• Love 1

I don't care what color or flavor the cake is when it is covered with cream cheese frosting.

I'm not a lover of red velvet cake, but I am definitely a lover of carrot cake which is also should be slathered with cream cheese frosting. To be fair, I do like the carrot cake flavor and spices that usually go with it, but I get to LOVE due to the frosting.  I'll even eat it if the cake is full of nuts, which A) I do not like in my cakes or quick breads as a rule, and B) may or may not make my throat close up.  For Cream Cheese Frosting, I'm willing to take that risk.

Which brings up something I don't like.  Generally this topic just makes me sad for everybody who doesn't enjoy so many of the things I do, but I just thought of another thing besides the polenta/grits thing I mentioned earlier.

I really don't like nuts in ice cream.  While the flavors can work together for me, there is just something off-putting about the texture combination for me. 

To be fair, I do like the carrot cake flavor and spices that usually go with it, but I get to LOVE due to the frosting.  I'll even eat it if the cake is full of nuts, which A) I do not like in my cakes or quick breads as a rule, and B) may or may not make my throat close up.  For Cream Cheese Frosting, I'm willing to take that risk.

Which brings up something I don't like.  Generally this topic just makes me sad for everybody who doesn't enjoy so many of the things I do, but I just thought of another thing besides the polenta/grits thing I mentioned earlier.

I really don't like nuts in ice cream.  While the flavors can work together for me, there is just something off-putting about the texture combination for me.

Agreeing to a number of things here:

1.  Carrot cake must absolutely be covered with cream cheese frosting.

2.  I hate nuts in sweet breads and cakes, but will eat them in carrot cake.  However, I will not eat it if it has raisins in it.  They are vile and the only thing that competes with them is celery (and for spices, black pepper), imo.  I'd eat liver and lima beans before raisins.

3.  Nuts don't belong in ice cream.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1

In my youth, I worked at a roadside ice cream stand. Ugh - worst job ever, but strangely it didn't put me off ice cream!   On the hottest days, we would be sweltering in the little non-air conditioned hut, and the freezers could barely keep the ice cream frozen.  Except for any flavours with nuts.  For some reason (perhaps the oils?), that stuff doesn't melt.  Kind of like the McDonald's milkshake that never melts?

I hate pepper.  What a vile tasting spice.  I leave it out of recipes and tell my family they can add it on their own once it's served.  If I'm at a restaurant, I'll ask if a dish is heavy on the pepper before I order it (I can stomach a small amount of it, but if it's too heavy, forget it).

Probably a dumb question, but does your hate include white pepper?  It usually is a really fine grind and blends better with food so I can't taste "pepper", just a flavor boost.  I like that stuff - kinda iffy on the big black flakes like from a pepper mill.

Indian curry. Whatever the Americanized version of that powder - the smell makes me ill. Thai curry (red or green), love it. Have made coconut curry dishes that are fabulous, but something about commercialized Indian curry powder. Maybe it's one or two specific spices in that blend that doesn't appear in Thai curry blends, but either way, just no.

Curry of any kind is on my No Fly list.  I literally used to gag when I was a kid and my Mom made it.  I wouldn't have to eat at the same time on those nights because it really made me verge on vomiting.  To this day, I can't even eat at a place that serves curry - the smell gets to me.

Nuts in ice cream is bad.  Nuts on ice cream is good.  Preferred nuts are thin sliced honey roasted almonds.  When the nuts get cold from the ice cream the honey crisps up wonderfully.