Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Two Sailors Walk into a Bar

With Chandler and Tex caught in a dangerous situation, Slattery has to step into the role as commanding officer. Torn between a mission with the fate of the world at stake and a Captain (and friend) in danger, Slattery has to find a way to get his people back without losing the most important asset: the vaccine prototype.

Kind of a boring and very predictable episode. Things did get interesting the last 10-15  minutes when the escape started.

So is the Russian ship done for? Dumb question (forgive me, I'm not a doctor), but would anything happen if the doctor whose a carrier of the virus injected himself with the vaccine? Meaning would he no longer be a carrier?

Even if the bombs don't take down the Russian ship, the infected doctor walking free certainly will, unless he injected himself with something that supposedly cures him.

Edited by Enero

That episode was pretty good. They got the vaccine, got rid of the Russians, and had a proper redshirt casualty.

Ironic that of everyone on board, the traitor scientist might be the only one that will ever get to see his family again.

• Love 3

Two problems I had with the episode:

1)  How did the rescue party get on the Russian cruiser without being noticed so easily ?  The Russians know that the Nathan James is nearby, and they have captured the captain, and now have the doctor in their possession.  You would think that they would either post more guards or something, anticipating that the Americans might do something like stage a rescue mission.  It seemed a little too easy.

2) Injecting the Russian officer with the vaccine and waiting around to see if anything happens would take days since they have already mentioned that it takes 3-5 days before people start showing symptoms.

Oh yeah, and aside from Cossetti, the Russians are terrible shots.

Any survivors on the Russian cruiser are pretty much doomed now that Typhoid Lars is out and walking about.  Unless he injected himself with the cure that Rachel carelessly left behind, but even then it would take time to work so he is probably still contagious.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2
My feed kept going in and out - did the young Nathan James crewman that got shot die?

It was hard to tell -- it looked like he just passed out from blood loss on the RIB, but the way Green carried him past the XO versus maybe using a stretcher for a wounded man (which they could have radioed ahead for), I think he might be dead.

ottoDbusdriver - thanks!

Any survivors on the Russian cruiser are pretty much doomed now that Typhoid Lars is out and walking about.  Unless he injected himself with the cure that Rachel carelessly left behind, but even then it would take time to work so he is probably still contagious.

I believe Dr. Scott may have left the vaccine on purpose - she agreed to go to the Russian ship apparently being fine with them getting it.

Edited by bagert

I wish this show had more carry over rather than being stand alone episodes.  There could have been more cat and mouse between the Admiral and the Captain.  Maybe the Captain playing the role of shit stirrer like the British scientist on the Nathan James.  Planning, executing, and completing the rescue mission on one episode took any suspense it might have had out of it. 

I liked Dr Scott unloading her complete disgust onto the Swedish narcissist, I mean, scientist.  I can't imagine why they would show him sneaking around in a sailor's uniform unless he survived all the explosions.

Now that there's a second season, I hope Mrs British scientist isn't pregnant by the Russian Admiral.

1)  How did the rescue party get on the Russian cruiser without being noticed so easily ?  The Russians know that the Nathan James is nearby, and they have captured the captain, and now have the doctor in their possession.  You would think that they would either post more guards or something, anticipating that the Americans might do something like stage a rescue mission.  It seemed a little too easy.

This. I also thought it was contrived that as soon as the Russian's knew about the US being onboard and staging a rescue that they started searching the  whole ship even after the Captain screamed repeatedly for them to find the rescue boat. Instead of searching the ship, wouldn't it have made more sense to have the soldiers do a sweep of the deck of the ship and check the waters surrounding the ship for the rescue boat? It wouldn't have been that hard for them to find, because the boat had to be right next to the ship in order for the rescue to work.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 1

1)  How did the rescue party get on the Russian cruiser without being noticed so easily ?...

2) Injecting the Russian officer with the vaccine and waiting around to see if anything happens would take days since they have already mentioned that it takes 3-5 days before people start showing symptoms....

1) Because the Russian captain thinks he's smart, but he's stupid.

2)Yeah.

So hot lady doctor is going to have breakfast with Adam Baldwin? Sorry Tex.

Damn, it really was amateur hour over there, on the Russian ship.  With the exception of Crossetti (I also couldn't tell if he was actually dead or just passed out), the crew suffered almost no causalities, avoided any potential traps, and just flat-out own the Russians. Those soldiers were shooting like Stormtroopers over there!  I won't lie; I was entertained, even though the entire thing was preposterous.  I mean, just a mere example: they sure were lucky that Scott was able to get close enough to Chandler to make-out with him, and slip him the note and shiv.  Without that, the whole thing would have unraveled.

Since they showed "Patient Zero" scientist out of the tent near the end, I"m guessing some of them will somehow survive all the explosions.  Their boat is probably boned, but I doubt this is the last for him.  He's probably going the infect the lot of them too.  I did love how Scott didn't buy his sob story, in the slightest.

I guess it could still be argued that what Slattery did was dangerous in the long-run, but I doubt anything will come out of it.  Plus, I"m sure he'll just say that it was Scott's idea, and Chandler will forgive him.

Looks like a vaccine is close to happening, although we never saw what exactly happened to Captain's henchman, so who knows. Either way, it might be wise to find more monkeys.

• Love 2

So hot lady doctor is going to have breakfast with Adam Baldwin? Sorry Tex.

Wouldn't you? I definitely would be ok with him as my end of the world choice.

This was ridiculous & cliched but I enjoyed it. I wish Dr. Scott could have found a way to kill the DNA Doc of Doom. I'm surprised his ego fit in the quarantine area. I like Tex complaining about the Captain being kissed as they worked on their get away plan. I hope that Doc ends up with Tex or Adam Baldwin or any random sailor rather than the Captain. It's refreshing to see his loyalty even when he's unsure if his family is alive. That's not exactly a TV norm, or a norm in a lot of real life unfortunately.

I felt some sad/happy feels when traitor scientist's daughter & wife were all crying together. How bittersweet for those sailors to see a happy reunion & an actual intact family. I hope that isn't the entire redemption arc & now all is good for traitor guy. That would seem like a cheap cheat.

So if I understood the Bond villain's plan, er the Russian's plan, it is to own the vaccine & rule the world by controlling its distribution. He wants to be fabulously wealthy & have fancy homes with fast cars & easy women. My issue with that is more than half the world is dead & with that a massive amount of infrastructure is gone. I guess be wants to king of the world no matter if the world smells of decay & rot.

• Love 6

Hah! I don't know. It would be a toss up between Adam Baldwin and John Piper Ferguson. :D

Well it is the end of the world & the ratio of men to women may be skewed. It certainly is on the ship. Maybe you could have both? ;)
  • Love 4

That one was good...I liked it...

Very Rambo-ish but good... tension all the way round, redshirt dying, sentiments spilt all over, Slattery making a stand, it was good. Almost as good as the pilot. 

And now that the Russian ship is a ghost ship, now what? Is the mad scientist swimming all the way to Nathan James?  Al Qaeda Navy? North Koreans? Any alien forces attacking the ship maybe? Dunno....

I liked it though... Wasn't that bad at all...

OTTODBUSDRIVER, ON 10 AUG 2014 - 7:25 PM, SAID:

1)  How did the rescue party get on the Russian cruiser without being noticed so easily ?   It seemed a little too easy.

2) Injecting the Russian officer with the vaccine and waiting around to see if anything happens would take days since they have already mentioned that it takes 3-5 days before people start showing symptoms.

Oh yeah, and aside from Cossetti, the Russians are terrible shots.

1. It sure did

2. To cut a long story short....

3. No luck in ruling the world..either in the 50s-70s or now...

Edited by ttgreif
  • Love 2

New to this particular forum but the problem I have with it is that the whole Bad Russian/ Good American set up is a cliche. I mean seriously--this is the best they could come up with? Add to that the other roll my eyes episode of the meglamanic drug lord in some bend in the river village intent on ruling the locals.

I mean...please.

So much more could be done with this set up. They have good production values, a decent cast; use them with some creativity.

• Love 1

I really liked this episode.  I do have to overlook all of the inconsistencies and nonsensical aspects, but once I do that....  I was impressed from the very beginning as the make-up job on the captain and Tex really did look like they were sunburned.  From that point on the show had my full attention.  This was the most that I ever liked the female doctor-especially when she gave a dose of reality to selfish patient one.  I did think at one point that the captain should have just gotten on the PA system and, since he speaks Russian, give the Russians the option of defecting and working with the Americans.  The way they set up the corruption of the Admiral and make a pointed comment about the American captain's ability to speak Russian that it would have been a kumbaya moment and united the two forces.  Guess not...

• Love 2

Really.  What is he going to say to people to hold over them?  "I have the vaccine.  Give me everything"  "Yeah, right.  You're lying."

Or, "OK, here's my everything: an old bottle I use to keep water in and my extra shirt. Have at it!" I would think that currency would have no value, even if people got ahold of some.

They really yada-yada-yada'ed a bit of the invasion and escape from the Russian ship. At one point, they are very slo-o-o-o-wly climbing down to the rescue boat, being shot at. Many people to still get off the ship. Then boom! They are safely away.

I was impressed from the very beginning as the make-up job on the captain and Tex really did look like they were sunburned.  From that point on the show had my full attention.

I was impressed by that too. Eric Dane in particular looked authentically rough - at least by Hollywood standards!

I loved Slattery's joke about the two sailors walking in the bar, but he conveniently forgot to mention getting the doctor back as well.

I'm surprised they didn't have the evil Russian Admiral stroking a white Persian cat while discussing his plans of world domination. Calmly drinking out of an ornate tea cup, complete with saucer, while chaos ruled around him was a bit much but I kind of liked the absurdity of it.

• Love 6

Oh, this show never fails to make me laugh.  They need to find better writers...some of the dialogue is really awful.  Danny's "You rocked it man.  You really rocked it" to the guy who may or may not be dead was so cheesy.  Also cheesy: Danny carrying dead/possibly not? dead guy onto the ship at the end underscored by triumphic music. 

I did like Tex's irritation that Dr. Rhona Mitra kissed Chandler instead of him "You're married and what about the rules against fraternization blah blah blah."  I was sort of shocked by the kiss for a second but then figured out what was going on as I noticed that Chandler kept his mouth clenched shut after the kiss.  Didn't she pass him like a utility knife blade while kissing him, though?  That doesn't seem safe at all.

• Love 1

I really hated the end of the Russian arc.  So much waste of resources, both from the destruction of the Russian ship and from the lives lost when it blew.  It seemed that the only necessary action was an assassination.  With Ruskov gone, the other officers would have either gone their own way or cooperated with the Americans.

I liked that Chandler and Tex both looked like they had spent hours suffering in the water, and Tex's pique at not getting kissed was a great touch.  A rare moment of character depth on the show.  The rest of the crew are starting to look like ciphers now.  Aside from the main stars of the show, none of the other characters seem to have any sort of inner life.  There's no sign of dignified grief or worry or mourning.  Everyone just stands around doing their jobs, which is great, but does little for the emotional depth of the show.

Scott's reaction to the Swedish scientist was the best part of the episode for me.  He expected her to know him, but she didn't and further irritated him by recognizing the name of the mentor he disdained.  She ripped him a new one in the face of his denials and unconvincing explanations.  His inability to accept what he had done, to even recognize it was enraging, and Scott was all over it.  She was the episode MVP for me and having kicked ass all over StrikeBack, I enjoyed watching Rhona Mitra act like she barely knew what to do with a gun.   

• Love 3

I really hated the end of the Russian arc.  So much waste of resources, both from the destruction of the Russian ship and from the lives lost when it blew.  It seemed that the only necessary action was an assassination.  With Ruskov gone, the other officers would have either gone their own way or cooperated with the Americans.

I thought it was disgusting that the writers had the Russian Admiral tell Chandler he expected the scientist's wife to be grateful he hadn't given her to the rest of his crew.  It was bad enough that he kept her as a sex slave, but to infer that the rest of the crew were rapists as well was unnecessarily jingoistic.  Americans are good!  Russians are evil rapists!   Do they eat babies too? 

The Nicaraguan jungle story didn't suggest that all the men wanted to rape the young women, just the drug lord.  Now that I mention it, for only 8 aired episodes there's a lot of sexual violence against women. 

• Love 3

I thought it was disgusting that the writers had the Russian Admiral tell Chandler he expected the scientist's wife to be grateful he hadn't given her to the rest of his crew.  It was bad enough that he kept her as a sex slave, but to infer that the rest of the crew were rapists as well was unnecessarily jingoistic. 

I thought he said he was going to give her to the crew so they could eat her .... he was a horrible character either way, no gray about him, very black and white

The ep was entertaining, but it was silly to think that the plan would work as well as it did.   My problems...

1.  What's with all the nonsense about radar all the time and yet, a boat makes it all way to the Russian ship without detection?

2.  The redshirt that was killed seemed like another wet behind the ears soldier.  Why do they keep letting inexperienced soldiers go on important missions?

3.  The mission was a success, and yet when they came aboard, everyone acted like everyone had died.  I know the redshirt bit the dust, but it seemed overly dramatic.

4.  We had the cliched scene of the bad guy eating food when the good guys are brought in.  Seen it toooo many times.

5.  They keep valuing individual lives over the mission.  No one's life is more important than the cure, but somehow they keep forgetting this.

• Love 1

Is there such a thing as a TV show or movie that doesn't have something that can be picked apart and moaned over? There might be but I can't think of one because I just try to stay in the moment and suspend disbelief so I can enjoy the show as much as possible. Peeves I can't let go of are: Vehicles that peel out on dirt or gravel that sound like they're on asphalt, Hate that! Good guys that knock out bad guys and don't take their guns (so they can try to kill them a few minutes later). Really hate that! Things, cars, buildings, rooms, whatever, that blow up multiple times for no apparent reason. This show hasn't peeved me out (yet) and I freakin' love it. Great action, great acting, cool premis. I don't know how many seasons they can get out of it though and hope they end it well instead of just running it into the ground and cancelling it mid season.

• Love 5

2.  The redshirt that was killed seemed like another wet behind the ears soldier.  Why do they keep letting inexperienced soldiers go on important missions?

Star Trek security. Enough said.

• Love 2

This show is so hokey. The cheesy swell of. USC at the end, zee eeevill Russkie leader with his china cup and saucer, the excessive violence, the grandstanding when the fate of the world is at stake, the amateurish dialogue.

But I view it as a cartoon with an interesting premise that hopefully gets beyond catastrophe of,the week and moves to solving the problem and building a new world. It better not be season after season of that damn (not) last ship cruising around the world encountering a new group of people with a problem to solve in each episode, always being thisclose to finding the vaccine. It's like Gilligan's Island, except the island moves around each week, finding the plot of the week.

And if the evil Russians want the vaccine so they can rule the world or whatever, eh. 80% of the population is gone! there are plenty of spoils for the survivors.

• Love 1

The ep was entertaining, but it was silly to think that the plan would work as well as it did.   My problems...

3.  The mission was a success, and yet when they came aboard, everyone acted like everyone had died.  I know the redshirt bit the dust, but it seemed overly dramatic.

They are sailors by definition they are all wet behind the ears soldiers. But they have had some weapons training and discipline thus all they got. Ships deploy full of young sailors working on a rating in a specialty. With the loses the Naval Mountain Warfare Team had already taken from the Russians Tex alone to reconstitute them as an independent fighting force.

Just that they are reassuring a soldier on a mission means he shouldn't have been there.  He looked like he would have been more comfortable putting your fries in a bag that helping rescue the Captain.  There had to be a better candidate than him, but just like the other mission, they take scared to death redshirt and it doesn't end well.

Edited by Jordan27

Is there such a thing as a TV show or movie that doesn't have something that can be picked apart and moaned over? There might be but I can't think of one because I just try to stay in the moment and suspend disbelief so I can enjoy the show as much as possible. Peeves I can't let go of are: Vehicles that peel out on dirt or gravel that sound like they're on asphalt, Hate that! Good guys that knock out bad guys and don't take their guns (so they can try to kill them a few minutes later). Really hate that! Things, cars, buildings, rooms, whatever, that blow up multiple times for no apparent reason. This show hasn't peeved me out (yet) and I freakin' love it. Great action, great acting, cool premis. I don't know how many seasons they can get out of it though and hope they end it well instead of just running it into the ground and cancelling it mid season.

You must be easy to please, but this show has many cliched scenes we've seen before, cliched characters and they have redone the same plot in two episodes already.   Plus, the main aim of the mission is to find and protect the cure and they are doing everything they can not to do that.   Some of the action is good, the acting is okay, but many scenes are cheesy and lame.

The show is getting about 5 out 10 from me.  I'm hanging in there because I want to see where they are going to go from here, but hopefully it will improve, but I'm not expecting Breaking Bad or Dexter.

The thing that was unforgivably ridiculous to me was how Chandler and Tex were in such great condition.  Each would have been weak as newborn lambs.  Were they given proper water and nutrition?  Suuuuuure.  

I do easily forgive Chandler's attempt to rescue the Mom and daughter.  But, that's the only time out of countless occasions where I would agree with going beyond the scope of the mission.

I was revolted by the show of the fallen sailor's body.  It was like a ritual sacrifice presentation.  It really was.  It would never, ever, ever, ever, ever have happened on a U.S. Navy ship.  There likely would have been a formal welcoming/receiving party who would have covered him immediately.  There may have been some type of limited honor guard/line for the path to sick bay.  Haphazard like that?  With his uncovered head hanging like a sack of potatoes?  A disgrace.

Ruskov was a good character.  It was only through him that we heard common sense as to what was left of the world and the implications of such.  He understood, as the war lord on the beach did, that in this new world, the leader with least regard for niceties like concern for life and rights is gonna rule.  Folks will want to be led and shown how to survive.  If that means giving up power, it's a bargain worth making.  Justice as we in the West understand it requires at least two things not available to the folks in this show, 1) wealth/natural resources, and 2)  well educated and selfless folks accustomed to personal liberty.  For the vast majority, as we saw in the beach community, these elements won't be found.  Essentially, might makes right.  

We already know we are gonna see patient zero again, even though there is no way he survived those explosions.  Where would he swim?  Even if he made it to some distant remote place, what would he do?  Discover a volleyball to befriend?  

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 2

Oh oh oh I just remembered one of my favorite things about this episode: when the Russian captain made his dismissive remark about the stupidity of his American counterpart taking part in a rescue mission of some random fishing boat. Yes Mr. Russian Captain so say we all.

• Love 2

Okay, do we all agree that the Klingon vessel, excuse me, the Russian ship is damaged but not completely out of commission and still in possession of nuclear weapons? Presumably, repairs will be made and we will see those gall darned Ruskies again with their only remaining threat, "vee vill detonate ze weapons unlez you gif us sumzing" (such as Chandler).  And Patient Zero escaped on some kind of raft or small boat to spread and continue mutating the virus keeping our heroes busy until the end of the show?  Is that where the storyline is at right now?  Just checking.

Edited by Collinwood
  • Love 2

Okay, do we all agree that the Klingon vessel...

+1 for the Klingon reference. I kept referring to the Russians as the Klingons throughout this episode, which was irritating to my viewing companions. But it's an apt comparison nonetheless. The biggest problem with this show is they have no way to sell costumes and such at fan conventions.

• Love 2

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode.

I think Chandler and Tex looked like they had been lost at sea for a while.  They were both sunburned, and their lips were dried and white.  They both could barely stand when they first brought onto the deck of the Russian ship, and even as the episode progressed, they still looked terrible.  So kudos to the actors and the makeup department.  That was very believable to me.  I do like the buddy relationship between Chandler and Tex, and you're able to get better dialogue between them because Tex is not a navy sailor.  So technically, he doesn't have to do anything Chandler tells him to do, but he does because he respects the Captain, and vice versa.  Also, Tex can say things to Chandler that his crew can't technically say to him, which I also like.

The kiss took my by surprise until I realized what was probably happening, and was later confirmed.  I think Eric Dane and Rhona Mitra played that scene perfectly because it wasn't overdone and no lovey-dovey eye gazes.  I DO think that Dr. Scott is attracted to the Captain (she worries about him too much), but she also is respectful of the fact that he's a married man, and I like that Tom does not send any mixed signals.  I appreciate that the writing isn't playing that triangle angle.  I do wonder how long Chandler's wife is going to last, however, because I do see actor/character chemistry with Chandler/Scott.

I was happy that Chandler rescued the wife and daughter.  He felt guilty for leaving them behind the first time, and since he has a wife and kids himself, he can empathize with what's-his-name was going through with having his wife as a prisoner on board the Russian ship.  Throw in Ruskov's comments that the wife should be grateful that he didn't feed her to his crew, and it pretty much told Chandler what he would leave them to if they were left behind.  Also, Chandler didn't have to deviate much from the escape plan to get to the officer's quarters.  I liked that the show stated that Ruskov had given the wife and daughter his first officer's quarters, and then said the guy's name.  That's how Chandler was able to find the room.  The reunion between the family at the end was very touching.  I also thought it was realistic that not everyone survived the escape.  Rosetti dying was necessary in that there HAD to be a least one casualty.

As for the Russians, there was only so much that scenario could be played out from episode to episode, and Dr. Scott was right when she told Slattery that Ruskov would follow them to the ends of the earth.  I think that was largely why Slattery chose to destroy the Russian ship rather than just get his people off the vessel.  I don't think it's the last we've seen of Ruskov, however.  Patient X is still alive and has actively infected the entire Russian vessel.  I can see Ruskov saving himself and getting off the ship somehow only to return later and seek revenge on Chandler at some point next year.  I do hope he shows up again.

I would like the show to also move beyond just showing events on the USS Nathan James and show what is actually happening back in the US (and around the world).  It looks like the promos are showing that, and I think that's a good thing for the show.  There's only so much you can show from the ship's perspective.  In many ways, The Last Ship can go on for a number of years because even once they find a cure, 80% of the world's population is gone.  So anarchy and the destruction of governments exist all over the world.  It is, in many ways, an apocalyptic survival story about rebuilding.  

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 3

I loves me an apocalypse story (especially one where 80% of humans are gone), but I doubt the showrunners have the capability of telling a decent story, much less a decent apocalyptic one.  This is a show for 'spolsions and trite platitudes, dressed up in spun sugar.

Sorry, McSteamy.

• Love 2

Right after Adam Baldwin's character told the joke from the episode title, "Two soldiers walk into a bar...," he and the African American officer had a brief exchange about the joke. Did anyone catch what they said?

Just that they are reassuring a soldier on a mission means he shouldn't have been there.  He looked like he would have been more comfortable putting your fries in a bag that helping rescue the Captain.  There had to be a better candidate than him, but just like the other mission, they take scared to death redshirt and it doesn't end well.

Actually, I thought they needed him because he was the only one with the technical knowledge to place the charges strategically. Still, if anyone should've had body armor on, it was him.

Oh oh oh I just remembered one of my favorite things about this episode: when the Russian captain made his dismissive remark about the stupidity of his American counterpart taking part in a rescue mission of some random fishing boat. Yes Mr. Russian Captain so say we all.

As much as I love any excuse to say, "So say we all," I have to point out that if not for rescuing the only survivor of the fishing boat, they wouldn't have the vaccine. I don't recall at what point the lady doc pointed that out. Was it before they decided to attempt the rescue?

As much as I love any excuse to say, "So say we all," I have to point out that if not for rescuing the only survivor of the fishing boat, they wouldn't have the vaccine. 

Yes, and it wasn't just luck. Someone (??) had pointed out that if the virus was on board a fishing boat, then there shouldn't be anyone left. They had reason to believe she might have some kind of immunity.

• Love 1

As much as I love any excuse to say, "So say we all," I have to point out that if not for rescuing the only survivor of the fishing boat, they wouldn't have the vaccine. I don't recall at what point the lady doc pointed that out. Was it before they decided to attempt the rescue?

I think the original poster is referring to the captain going on the rescue mission, rather than the mission itself.   He shouldn't have gone or that mission, or the one to the island to get the monkeys either.  His place is on his boat, leading.

Edited by anstar
  • Love 2

I think the original poster is referring to the captain going on the rescue mission, rather than the mission itself.   He shouldn't have gone or that mission, or the one to the island to get the monkeys either.  His place is on his boat, leading.

Ah. In that case, yes, I agree. He is Captain Kirk without the womanizing.

BTW, I knew within less than a second why Lady Doc was kissing him, although I couldn't figure exactly what she was passing.

Yes, and it wasn't just luck. Someone (??) had pointed out that if the virus was on board a fishing boat, then there shouldn't be anyone left. They had reason to believe she might have some kind of immunity.

It was an Ensign who monitored the radio calls and knew of the significance

Regarding the sea worthiness of the Russian ship post-explosions, I thought I saw the ship on its side and partially sunk when the Navy rescue boat was motoring away.

It didn't seem to be capsizing to me. However it did look like the magazines (shells, torpedo and missile storage)were blowing up which would sink a battleship, much less a lighter armored cruiser. In any event the missiles should be gone taking the nukes out of the equation.

Regarding the sea worthiness of the Russian ship post-explosions, I thought I saw the ship on its side and partially sunk when the Navy rescue boat was motoring away.

There were, according to my count, 8-9 explosions on the Russian cruiser, but it still appeared to be afloat and upright.  So if they manage to get it fixed, they could come back into the picture again.

I like that Chandler goes on the missions.  No it's not realistic, but this is a sort of post-apocalyptic scenario.  I think a guest star had mentioned that the show is kind of Star Trek at sea, which I actually like frankly.

As for the Russian captain dismissing Chandler for going on the mission, I thought it was amusing when he told Chandler that his "hubris would lead to his downfall."  A bit of foreshadowing for the Russian Captain since it was HIS hubris and smugness that resulted in the destruction of his vessel and his Patient Zero escaping and infecting his entire ship - all while drinking his tea out of delicate porcelain tea cup.

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 1

In many ways, The Last Ship can go on for a number of years because even once they find a cure, 80% of the world's population is gone.  So anarchy and the destruction of governments exist all over the world.  It is, in many ways, an apocalyptic survival story about rebuilding.

I enjoyed Battlestar Galactica but I got tired of its unremitting gloom.  If the Last Ship show runners could tone down the jingoism a bit I would be totally behind a continuing series of this crew trying to deal with the cure and the aftermath.  There's enough danger, adventure, and popcorn in the mix to be a summer staple for several seasons.

I also hope the episodes become less standalone.  With only 10 episodes originally, I can see that they needed to blast through everything to make sure they had a 'complete' story but now that the show is becoming a series I hope next season they take more time to resolve some of the crises so they can delve a little deeper into the story arcs.

Edited by Frost
  • Love 3