Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Two Sailors Walk into a Bar

I think the original poster is referring to the captain going on the rescue mission, rather than the mission itself. He shouldn't have gone or that mission, or the one to the island to get the monkeys either. His place is on his boat, leading.

@anstar got it in one! :) That's exactly what I meant. I have no problem with the monkey trip or the fishing boat rescue, it's the captain of the ship going on them I find ridiculous. I understand he's the star of the show so he's going to be doing this type of thing all the time, but when the Russian captain sneered about how ludicrous it was that the captain was the one going on the rescue mission I felt like he was agreeing with us in tv watching land & it made me laugh. I'm paraphrasing, but when the Russian captain said, "You wouldn't have been captured if you'd acted like the captain of a ship & allowed others to go on a rescue mission" in my head I heard a crowd of people yelling agreement. (And yes I do love my Battlestar Galactica references-lol.)

I've been as critical of this show as anyone else, but you know what? This was a pretty fun episode. I mean, as long as you had it on DVR like I did and didn't have to sit through the commercials, it was an easy way to spend 42 or so minutes. I'm not even especially interested in military-style search and extract action adventure type stories, but this was interesting and quite well done. 

Oh, sure, when you pick at it, it all falls apart, and I didn't say I found it entirely plausible. But it was well executed, like a mini movie. I enjoyed it more than I have any of the other episodes. 

The other encouraging thing is that they seem to be moving toward some measure of closure. They have the vaccine, they have neutralized ( if not destroyed) the Russians, I think they crafted the story to have some kind of ending in case there was no second season. And I appreciate that. I'm so sick of shows that just leave you hanging.

Right after Adam Baldwin's character told the joke from the episode title, "Two soldiers walk into a bar...," he and the African American officer had a brief exchange about the joke. Did anyone catch what they said?

Slattery said "I thought I'd lead with a joke," and Jeter said "It was a good joke."

• Love 2
Didn't she pass him like a utility knife blade while kissing him, though?  That doesn't seem safe at all.

It was wrapped in the note.

I missed why the gun was in two pieces in Dr. Scott's cooler. She fired it after trying to put it together but failing, so why was the second piece necessary? And why not put the fully assembled gun in there instead of the pieces?

I missed why the gun was in two pieces in Dr. Scott's cooler. She fired it after trying to put it together but failing, so why was the second piece necessary? And why not put the fully assembled gun in there instead of the pieces?

The suppressor was left off, I assume because it didn't fit in the case with it attached.  Though that may have been a prop fail, because it looked like it would have fit in easily even if the suppressor was attached.  The idea of the suppressor being that if she had to shoot someone, at least it would have been somewhat quiet.

• Love 1

I think it was a silencer.  She could shoot and not alert anyone outside the room.  They were trying for stealth and she didn't have the brute strength (or killer instinct) for neck snapping or knives like Chandler and Tex.  As to why it was in two pieces...<shrug>  I got nothing.

eta: cross posted with Agent Dark

Edited by anstar

The question becomes why would a destroyer need special forces gear like illegal for most sound suppression. The Russians knew what was happening so they had extra marines. The Nathan Hale attempting stealth had a few mountain warfare trained sailors.

This was the thing that made me go "WTF?" more than anything else. When Jeter showed Scott the gun and silencer, he didn't demonstrate how to assemble it, didn't ask if she'd ever used a gun like that before, didn't have her put it together at least once for practice. That's insane.

However, I'm enjoying this show quite a lot, so I'm willing to ignore the lapses in Navy protocol and the logical inconsistencies.

I won't be surprised if we see Adm. Ruskov again. He's batshit insane, of course, but he's also a survivor. I can picture a scene where he shoots his own men for a place on a lifeboat, and pulls out a gas mask when he spots Dr. Plague Carrier.

• Love 1

I am really enjoying this show - total Sunday night fun. I really like that Dr. Scott and Slattery have formed a bond now.

Now that Quincy's family has been returned to him, do we think he is going to be trusted enough to work with Rachel full time again?

Didn't she pass him like a utility knife blade while kissing him, though? That doesn't seem safe at all.

I just realized that to pull that off, she would have had to practice. Maybe that's part of the reason why they had her fumbling with the silencer--to show she hadn't practiced.
  • Love 1
I can picture a scene where he shoots his own men for a place on a lifeboat,

Or he shoots his own men and then turns them into a lifeboat! 

Which will then be propelled by the power of his mustache-twirling.

Edited by Tippi Blevins
  • Love 6

Guess I'm the only one who thinks of Chandler Bing from Friends every time they refer to him as Chandler instead of by his rank or whatever.

Personally every time somebody says Dr Scott I hear "Rocky! Janet! Brad! Dr Scott" back and forth.  It makes me giggle.

I liked it and my favorite part was when Dr Scott told the scandanavian megalomaniac how bad he messed up.  I only wish that the hundredth time he said "I can fix it now" she had pointed out that he couldn't FIX millions of people already dead although she at least brought it up. I only wish somebody could torture the smirk off that guy.  There is no way that guy COULD suffer the equal of what he's done.  It also bothers me that British lady got basically raped through extortion by the Admiral and British traitor is not going to suffer that indignity first hand.  Imean he'll feel bad for his wife but it wasn't he who suffered it so that moron isn't getting what he deserves either.  I know it won't happen but I would love it if the wife made him feel small by saying the Captain was a "real" man for rescuing her. 

It is a good thing Russian navy people don't watch American tv and didn't immediately check Chandler's mouth after Dr Scott kissed him.  It is what anybody on this board would have done.

• Love 2

I just realized that to pull that off, she would have had to practice. Maybe that's part of the reason why they had her fumbling with the silencer--to show she hadn't practiced.

I believe Rhona Mitra stated in an interview regarding that scene that Rachel is not accustom to guns, and she was simply inexperienced.  This is why after she killed the guy that she was in a bit of shock.  Chandler had to talk her down a bit and that was realistic to me.  I know we see a lot of gun battles and killing, but if you've never actually blown a guy's head off, it's going to shock you and put you in a bit of a panic.  Throw in that she's a doctor too, who usually takes care of people, she was out of her element.  I'm glad the scene wasn't played like "Yeah, no big deal.  I took out a bad guy."  I like Dr. Scott a lot.  She got the job done that she was sent to do:  1) get the message to Chandler; 2) keep the Russians occupied; and 3) use the gun when and if necessary.  

MDKNIGHT said:  
It also bothers me that British lady got basically raped through extortion by the Admiral and British traitor is not going to suffer that indignity first hand.  Imean he'll feel bad for his wife but it wasn't he who suffered it so that moron isn't getting what he deserves either.  I know it won't happen but I would love it if the wife made him feel small by saying the Captain was a "real" man for rescuing her.

I don't agree with this.  How is the husband responsible for what happened to his wife?  I'm not a big Quincy fan, but he tried desperately to ave his wife and child, and it doesn't make him less of a man because he was unable to do it.  As for the wife, I don't think she'll ever tell her husband.  I wouldn't tell him (and I'm a woman).  I'd keep it to myself and lie to him.  (I'm not sure how much the daughter understood.)  I was happy to see Chandler go back for the wife and daughter because as a husband and a father of a daughter himself, there was no way he was going to leave her with Ruskov.  I think Chandler also suspected what was happening when he saw them at the table.

It is a good thing Russian navy people don't watch American tv and didn't immediately check Chandler's mouth after Dr Scott kissed him.  It is what anybody on this board would have done.

Maybe.  Ruskov clearly has this idea of what women should be, considering how he treated Quincy's wife.  I think Rachel played that scene perfectly because she didn't hesitate.  The minute she saw Chandler, she made her move which didn't allow for any dialogue or awkward conversation.  In that regard, I found it realistic.  She acted as if she was so happy to see him, that she kissed him, and that's how Ruskov took it.  Tex did too.  If Rachel had waited and allowed conversation to take place, it would have been more awkward for her to squeeze in a kiss that would be believable.  By kissing him immediately, there was no time for any one to really react or deny or question anything.  Chandler was also smart in staying focused.  When they were pulled apart, they exchanged looks with each other - not of love - but of mission accomplished.  It's one of the very few times when a kiss has been used to pass something to someone where it felt realistic and organic.  I always chuckle when a woman kisses a guy tied to a chair and NO ONE notices her passing him something in his hand.  That's much more suspicious to me.  This kiss between Chandler and Rachel worked, and I liked that the two of them were all business even afterwards.  I guess we'll see if it's even mentioned in the next episode.

Edited by Bishop

How is the husband responsible for what happened to his wife?

By becoming a spy for the Russians in the first place.  And how did the Russians even know where this guy's family was when the world was going to hell unless he told them?  I just think he's a moron and a traitor and that he deserves to suffer.  Remember this is the guy who once caught STILL tried to screw the good guys by getting the chess guy and others to defect.  You can't even say that that move would have gotten him his family.  That particular move was to try to save his own bacon and get released.  It actually had more of a chance of getting more innocent Americans KILLED (if the morons had gone off the ship at his suggestion) since the chances they were going to get him off the ship were nil.  So I have a lot of empathy for the poor wife who suffered but none for this bozo who really hasn't despite being almost as toxic as Plague Carrier.  He managed to almost do with persuassion what Ruskov couldn't do with weapons...have the crew leave the Captain.  So while I agree that the rescue had nothing to do with being a real man or not I meant that I wished she'd just say it to hurt his feelings.  I suppose they can go for a redemtion arc for him and have him die valiantly to save the Captain but until they do I thik he's gotten off too easy. 

Edited by MDKNIGHT

And how did the Russians even know where this guy's family was when the world was going to hell unless he told them?

Did they ever say how long the Russians had his family? They may have grabbed them as soon as he was selected to go on the mission, before everything went to hell. Also, regarding whether Cossetti died or not, I definitely think he is dead. During scene on the bow, everyone takes off their hats, usually done to show respect, and more importantly, the ship's doctor Doc Rios(bald guy with glasses played by Maximiliano Hernández) is among the crowd and clearly not trying to treat Cossetti. To me, that indicates that Cossetti died.

Right after Adam Baldwin's character told the joke from the episode title, "Two soldiers walk into a bar...," he and the African American officer had a brief exchange about the joke. Did anyone catch what they said?

XO: "Thought I'd open with a joke..."

Chief: "It was a good one sir."

FWIW, about the best joke one could use for that speech, IMHO.

I missed something.  What was the deal with Cossetti "proving" himself?  They made a big deal about bringing him on the mission and he said something about being grateful for the opportunity but I didn't get what his original mistake or problem was that made that whole conversation make sense.  I could understand if the guy who was having an affair with the female sailor had to "prove" himself because he endangered the mission when he went with her.  But nobody is saying they don't trust him.  Does anybody know?

I think it had to do with two things. First, I think he was among those whose enlistments were up and want to leave the ship. I believe that is why he was getting a lot of crap in episode 7. Secondly, he was supposed to be on the boat with the Captain and Tex, but tripped and they left without him. 

By becoming a spy for the Russians in the first place.  

He only became a spy for the Russians because they took his family.  It's why he told Slattery that he would help him as long as he killed Ruskov when it was all over. He never sold out his family to the Russians.  They kidnapped his family and used them to get Quincy to do what they wanted.  It's why Quincy was so angry at Chandler when he thought he had gotten his family killed.

I had a very hard time with the dad/scientist's demeanor.  He was forever adding heat when cool was required.  It's fine that he had theories to offer.  But, as fragile as they all were, he was a jerk in how he presented his concerns.  Yes, I get it.  TV.  Draaaaaama.  Ugh.

I really wanted to see more of the burial.  Another thirty seconds of that, perhaps the time-honored final commending, would have been better than the never-ending looks at the deteriorating sailors, and the forever furrowing of brows.  

I really wanted to see more of the burial.  Another thirty seconds of that, perhaps the time-honored final commending, would have been better than the never-ending looks at the deteriorating sailors, and the forever furrowing of brows.  

There was some grumbling about the Master Chief's outward faith in the earlier episodes. And it was the second snip of a memorial shown. They just choose to give more time to the reoccurring characters

When the Captain and Tex were adrift, the ocean looked to me like a swimming pool. Something abut the quality, color, or weight of the water that surrounded them as they floated there....wasn't ocean-like.

That's all I have to say.

Oh, and that I hope that's the last of those pesky Russians. That was going on too long. Glad to see the ship explode.

When the Captain and Tex were adrift, the ocean looked to me like a swimming pool. Something abut the quality, color, or weight of the water that surrounded them as they floated there....wasn't ocean-like.

It reminded me of Lake Michigan on days like yesterday, and the Great Lakes can be very ocean-like. Three foot waves breaking on the shore last week. Where do they shoot the show?

I don't know, but I think often for extended ocean scenes like that, they are shot in a pool. The waves weren't that bad -- easily accomplished with a wave-maker, or in a big lake like you say. The water just struck me at one point as pool water (more clear than green), and once I saw it, I was unable not to see it. I imagine the equipment doesn't take kindly to salt water, either. A lot of Titanic was shot in a pool, and so was Life of Pi and parts of Jaws.

That said, it's filmed mostly in San Diego, where there's a lot of ocean water, so they definitely have ocean access. From wikipedia:

It was filmed at a number of locations across San Diego including aboard the USS Halsey (DDG-97) and the USS Dewey (DDG-105), which stands in for the show's fictional USS Nathan James (DDG-151), and the USS Iowa museum ship.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 1