Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 1/24/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

I think Lisa made a good point that it would have been nice for Biden to apologize to everyone for his name calling, because it does lower the bar for everyone's behavior. Joy, of course, can't help going with the "what about Donald Trump" arguments. Trump did what he did, he's never going to apologize, so concentrate on what is happening now not what happened a few years ago. We know that Trump was rude and obnoxious, but that's no reason for everyone else to stay at that level. 

• Love 5

omg Sara. 😱  you're having a bad day right?  Wtf is on your head??  Looks like a brick with your hair wrapped around it. yikes! Just say no lol.  And then during the AA debate, you always lose yourself 1/2 way through your soliloquy. Maybe because everyone's firing questions and its distracting. Maybe.  Just a bad day girl.

Edited by ForumLou
Wrong comment
  • Love 2

Lisa was right. Affirmative Action is complicated. Most definitely not as simple and easy as Sunny or Whoopi was letting on. Many many asians feel like they are being discriminated against. Anymore at some colleges Asians are being grouped with white people and not POC because they excel so high on average. you can totally agree with affirmative action as a policy but you have to recognize asian American students who do everything right, get the best grades, best test scores etc are not given a chance bc admissions don't want the class to look "too asian" are allowed to feel badly. 

Edited by Buckeye71034
  • Love 8

That stick is so far up Sunny's ass her dentist needs to deal with it & she is definitely a prude, I looked it up in the dictionary & there was a picture of her.

WTF Sarah, who did your hair this morning & did you look in the mirror?

Joy just needs to shut up about Trump every time she opens her mouth. Her point might be right but her manic rantings lose the point of what she's saying.

Whoopi is just Whoopi and lost control a bit today, she might just be over it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

Thanks SO much @buffynut ... it worked perfectly ... got the whole show.

Excellent.  I'm still not back to watching the show, but can't quit this forum, so lurk from time to time.  Glad today was one of those times, so I could help out.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

I think Lisa made a good point that it would have been nice for Biden to apologize to everyone for his name calling, because it does lower the bar for everyone's behavior. Joy, of course, can't help going with the "what about Donald Trump" arguments. Trump did what he did, he's never going to apologize, so concentrate on what is happening now not what happened a few years ago. We know that Trump was rude and obnoxious, but that's no reason for everyone else to stay at that level. 

agreed. I'm not someone who actually cares much about civility so I didn't mind Biden just like I didn't get to angry at trumps tweets and such but Whoopi felt Trump was so uncivil and beyond the pale she went 5 years without saying his name so I find it a bit funny she finds it absurd to criticize Biden for that....

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Buckeye71034 said:

not my point. Joy and Whoopi need to just chill out and let people on the panel criticize Biden. 

I misunderstood what you were saying, sorry. Yes, I don't see any problem with constructive criticism.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Lisa looked to be auditioning for that seat, IMO. 

Do you really think so? I didn't get that vibe, but to each his/her own. I've said all along that they need to shelve the conservative seat, at least for now, and get a millennial. The youngest panelist right now is Sara - who is 44. 

Speaking of Sara - hard pass on her hair today. What WAS that???

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Buckeye71034 said:

Lisa was right. Affirmative Action is complicated. Most definitely not as simple and easy as Sunny or Whoopi was letting on. Many many asians feel like they are being discriminated against. Anymore at some colleges Asians are being grouped with white people and not POC because they excel so high on average. you can totally agree with affirmative action as a policy but you have to recognize asian American students who do everything right, get the best grades, best test scores etc are not given a chance bc admissions don't want the class to look "too asian" are allowed to feel badly. 

Unfortunately, Asians issues are often ignored on this show. Sunny looked a little surprised that it’s even an issue. 

Edited by OpalNightstream
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, OpalNightstream said:

Unfortunately, Asians issues are often ignored on this show. Sunny looked a little surprised that it’s even an issue. 

I forget, did they cover all the Asian hate crimes of the last couple of years? It is definitely crazy there hasn't been a single Asian host since Lisa. The ideal host would be a young Asian woman imo. 

• Love 5

I was totally with Joy versus Sara, Sunny, and Lisa this morning. Trump would be irrelevant to bring up if he wasn't the leading candidate to be the Republican nominee in 2024 with open plans to run again. If they want to make it easier for him by acting nuts over every little thing Biden does, they better not complain later if Trump does end up president again because of it. I mean, media figures like these women didn't cover the 2016 election properly because most of them aside from Joy (who repeatedly warned that a Gore repeat could happen again if voters didn't take the threat seriously) wrote Trump off as a non-starter. Fumbling it all over again would be astounding... An obvious case of, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

I forgot to say about yesterday's show that the Nicole Byer interview was hilarious almost straight through. And with what Sara said about wanting to know someone's alright before laughing, that's how I've always felt about a lot of things shown on America's Funniest Home Videos as well as Wipeout. Some of that stuff looks like it would seriously hurt somebody, to the point it's hard to laugh at.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 5

Reading through the other comments, I was surprised so many thought this was a bad show. I thought the cross-talk was really bad in the first segment, but overall I enjoyed the show. I thought Lisa added something to the Affirmative Action discussion that wouldn't have been there without her. Unfortunately, Whoopi's ramblings are often incoherent even if I can understand the place they're coming from. Her criticism of Sunny actually wasn't as asshole-y as it normally is. Usually she just shouts at Sunny and then throws to commercial.

From what I remember, the last time Lisa was there, there was a lot of crosstalk, too, but it had been a Friday with Joy moderating then. Maybe Lisa being in the studio just gets everyone excited to talk? LOL She is one of those people who would be fun to talk to about more complex topics, I guess.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Bill Maher is always going to be Bill Maher.  His beliefs are always going to be about being able to do whatever he wants to do.  Everyone else be damned.  

Sounds like Bill & Whoopi are looking in the same mirror.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Buckeye71034 said:

Lisa was right. Affirmative Action is complicated. Most definitely not as simple and easy as Sunny or Whoopi was letting on.

In a perfect world people would be admitted to colleges simply based on their grades.  But we do not live in a perfect world.  We do not know what implicit bias people who work in college admissions offices have.   There could be racists. There could also be people who think students from red states or blue states aren't deserving of a spot.  I do agree with Sunny on there being way too many legacy spots. Back in the late 90s I worked for a company that contracted with a small private college.  My son would have been ineligible to attend tuition free because I didn't work for the college.  However children of college employees could attend tuition free. But only if you were a salaried employee or professor.  Which meant the children of the hourly employees such as the janitors and employees who took care of the grounds were excluded.  I thought that was a very shitty rule.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

WTF Sarah, who did your hair this morning & did you look in the mirror?

I'm a guy and I don't pay attention to these things but I do think we should give Sarah a break.  She looks smokin' on The Chase, so maybe we should blame the hairdressers on The View.  Here's what I think happens: after an early morning with the kids, she slumps into the hairdesser's chair and the hairdresser says, "Whaddya say we give you a bump today?" and Sarah replies sleepily, "Whatever..."😬

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
47 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

In a perfect world people would be admitted to colleges simply based on their grades.  But we do not live in a perfect world.  We do not know what implicit bias people who work in college admissions offices have.   There could be racists. There could also be people who think students from red states or blue states aren't deserving of a spot.  I do agree with Sunny on there being way too many legacy spots. Back in the late 90s I worked for a company that contracted with a small private college.  My son would have been ineligible to attend tuition free because I didn't work for the college.  However children of college employees could attend tuition free. But only if you were a salaried employee or professor.  Which meant the children of the hourly employees such as the janitors and employees who took care of the grounds were excluded.  I thought that was a very shitty rule.

Then there are the parents that buy their kids' admissions. Remember the scandal with Felicia Huffman and Aunt Becky Lori Loughlin.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Then there are the parents that buy their kids' admissions. Remember the scandal with Felicia Huffman and Aunt Becky Lori Loughlin.

And as Joy mentioned yesterday Jared Kushner's parents gave Harvard 10 million dollars to get him a spot.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I always wondered why this was described as a scandal. I & everyone I know presumed this was the way these places have always worked anyway and not one person was surprised. Most were surprised how cheap it was relatively speaking.

7 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

I always wondered why this was described as a scandal. I & everyone I know presumed this was the way these places have always worked anyway and not one person was surprised. Most were surprised how cheap it was relatively speaking.

In Lori’s case she also created a fake profile for her daughter to be admitted as an athlete, in a sport she never participated in. It was fraud. (And there was the “donation.”)

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

It was a scandal because they got caught. And as @Haleth said there was also fraud involved.  It wasn't just "donating" money.

• Love 1

Thankfully, Sara's hair looks much better today. I also like the blue striped blazer that Whoopi is wearing.

I must give a shout out to Neil Young. 👊👏🙌 If I was in his shoes, I'd be seriously considering the same thing re: Spotify.

• Love 7

I disagree with Lisa about testing. There are far too many false negatives to rely on tests to keep us healthy.

I wonder if the comment about none of them being crazy and Whoopi smirking to someone off camera (Brian?) was them all thinking about SWSNBN.

Funny, I was on a group text this morning with a friend whose husband is an anti vaxxer. She decided to hold her tongue with him and just complain to us. I don’t think I could do that. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Thankfully, Sara's hair looks much better today. I also like the blue striped blazer that Whoopi is wearing.

I must give a shout out to Neil Young. 👊👏🙌 If I was in his shoes, I'd be seriously considering the same thing re: Spotify.

I keep forgetting to add, I do like the opening much better than the last one. No more Sara calling the pooch home lol.  Lisa seemed much more comfortable.  Give the chair to Amber!  Love her!

Edited by ForumLou
Added
1 hour ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Speaking of Neil Young-does everyone know he is married to Daryl Hannah? I think that is so awesome. Love both of them. I hope he does leave Spotify, I have all his work on vinyl and CD anyway.

Get outta here!  Hehehe.  I did not know that but they'd make an awesome twosome.  Thanks for sharing that lil tidbit 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I disagree with Lisa about testing. There are far too many false negatives to rely on tests to keep us healthy.

I wonder if the comment about none of them being crazy and Whoopi smirking to someone off camera (Brian?) was them all thinking about SWSNBN.

Funny, I was on a group text this morning with a friend whose husband is an anti vaxxer. She decided to hold her tongue with him and just complain to us. I don’t think I could do that. 

This must have been during the preemption. We were interrupted briefly to break the news that the SCJ was retiring and came back just before Amber.  I go back and forth with my folks. Dad is definitely anti vax but still got them thank goodness.  Mom not against  but rule with him on just about everything.  This case though she got vacc'd long ago so she could start hang'in with her friends to play cards again.

• Love 1

I read Amber's book. It is hilarious.

So Aaron Rodgers and Shailene Woodley don't discuss political issues.  How long before that blows up in their faces? This is a celebrity couple who are going to constantly be asked about the other one and things they say.  I will be shocked if they make it to the alter.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I thought it was just me.  Seems like she was right back then, but not now.

It's nice seeing her pop in every once in a while for nostalgia value, but I don't think she's the answer for the full-time chair. They need to go younger - for this chair, and let's not forget that Joy will be 80 later this year. She's not going to be there forever, so they might as well start planning for when she eventually leaves. (FYI - I hope it's not any time soon! I think Joy is terrific.)

11 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I read Amber's book. It is hilarious.

So Aaron Rodgers and Shailene Woodley don't discuss political issues.  How long before that blows up in their faces? This is a celebrity couple who are going to constantly be asked about the other one and things they say.  I will be shocked if they make it to the alter.

I love Amber! She brings a genuine sense of joy and fun in whatever she does onscreen.

My hopes for Aaron Rodgers and his fiancée are not high going forward, especially in today's highly charged environment. Not every couple with differing politics can be a Carville/Matalin. Plus, he just doesn't strike me as either bright or aware. Can I just say again how grateful I am that he didn't get the permanent hosting job on Jeopardy? 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

• Love 5
9 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

It was a scandal because they got caught. And as @Haleth said there was also fraud involved.  It wasn't just "donating" money.

Not that I’m saying this is even close to being the same thing, but if you want to get really specific, one can also argue that the wealthy (ie Sunny) was able to give their kid a leg up with (probable) expensive private schooling and tutoring to help get him get  into Harvard. I don’t think she wants to talk about that privilege. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, OpalNightstream said:

Not that I’m saying this is even close to being the same thing, but if you want to get really specific, one can also argue that the wealthy (ie Sunny) was able to give their kid a leg up with (probable) expensive private schooling and tutoring to help get him get  into Harvard. I don’t think she wants to talk about that privilege. 

I swear I remember an episode where Sunny admits that while she's self-made, her kids wouldn't be because they come from privilege. Anyone else remember something like that?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, catlover79 said:

My hopes for Aaron Rodgers and his fiancée are not high going forward, especially in today's highly charged environment. Not every couple with differing politics can be a Carville/Matalin. Plus, he just doesn't strike me as either bright or aware. Can I just say again how grateful I am that he didn't get the permanent hosting job on Jeopardy? 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

Look how many of those who auditioned for the spot ended up being complete dumpster fires. Katie Couric, Mehmet Oz, Mike RIchards, Aaron ROdgers....who did I miss? Yes I am so glad he didnt get the job. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

I'm pretty sure that during the Joe Rogan discussion, Sunny pronounced "juggarnaut" as "yuggarnaut."

She had yaegermeisters on her mind.  Or is it yaegerbombs?  Been a while lol

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, geekburger said:

I love having Lisa back. It’s so nostalgically comforting. She always has a unique and well explained perspective too.

Yeah.....I do like her, but on her own investigation shows.  This isnt a fit.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Lisa Ling has offered a nice accent and soft counter on many topics while also being normal. Really wish The View could go back to those days.

I just like when she talks she talks like she's having a conversation. not reading off a card of the point she really wanted to bring up.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Buckeye71034 said:

I just like when she talks she talks like she's having a conversation. not reading off a card of the point she really wanted to bring up.

Since the other one left most days it feels like five women sitting around having a conversation.  That was what Barbara Walters had in mind when she created the View.  It is possible to discuss serious issues without pushing an agenda. Whoever they put in that fifth chair I hope  they realize that.

7 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Lisa Ling has offered a nice accent and soft counter on many topics while also being normal. Really wish The View could go back to those days.

They can if they don't hire someone who comes on with an adversarial attitude. Someone who doesn't think it is them vs the others.

12 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I swear I remember an episode where Sunny admits that while she's self-made, her kids wouldn't be because they come from privilege. Anyone else remember something like that?

She said something like she wasn't going to hand everything to her kids.  I'm sure her and Manny are paying for their kid's tuition.  Even being able to pay for Harvard Gabriel still had to have the grades to be accepted.

• Love 8